According to /vr/, no.

there was a retro gaming community in like the 90s
funny to think back on

the ps3 is more retro

hacked PS3 was a fucking great machine

if it's 3D it ain't retro and will never be retro

Cringe

if its not vintage, its not retro. it will become next year though

zoomers are now saying some last gen games aged poorly. The thought of whining about the graphics of some game from 2008 is baffling. so yes, at least to zoomies since they think the ps3 and 360 are ancient.

I'd say Dreamcast is retro. PS2, GCN, and Xbox are almost there though

Wrong again. /vr/ is pre-2000s hardware only.

retro should mean NES and before

No one gives a fuck about /vr/ definitions

yet somehow PC games released after 2000 are okay to discuss there. I don't get that faggot board

Only if you're a zoomer

The PS2 is old enough to vote. For reference, the dreamcast was 15 years old when it was added to /vr/. Boomers need to get their collective sticks out of their asses and accept that time moves on.

it's such a dead shit board too. PS2, Xbox, and GBA discussions could make the place worth visiting.

If it runs on pre-2000 PC hardware and Windows 98 it’s alright

there are VN's being released today that fit that criteria so it's fucking retarded

>iittttt brain damage

Yes it is. It's almost 20 years old ffs.

bunch of retards they are
currently the PS2 is older than Castlevania 2 Simons Curse was when AVGN posted his first video

Attached: .jpg (1280x720, 229K)

Well the game is only allowed if it was released somewhere around 2000. 19 years later doesn’t cut it.

>my fedora gatekeeper community's opinion is this
guess who gives a shit.

>currently the PS2 is older than Castlevania 2 Simons Curse was when AVGN posted his first video
No fucking way am I this old

Attached: 1548304200456.png (479x591, 39K)

Technology in the mid-00s is closer to now than technology in the late 80s to the mid-00s.

PS2 doesn’t feel retro even now. NES did back then.

We’re not going to change the definition of retro to fit your shitty zoomer childhood

Facts don't care about your feelings. The ps2 is mathematically old.

not true. there are games being made TODAY for NES, Genesis, and Colleco, and that shit is allowed there.

it's just a bunch of boomer faggots letting their preferences dictate the rules with no rhyme or reason to them

So Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy VII, all aren't retro?

The current stuff of today will be the new retro of tomorrow : SNES is retro now, PS2 will be retro soon,same for PS3,PS4,Switch...
It will come with time.

It was getting new games still into the 2010's so I wouldn't call it retro, but honestly I think it should be classified as retro maybe when the PS5 comes out, and definitely by the time the PS6 comes out.

SNES was considered retro when the ps2 was released a whole 10 years after it.

ps2 is going on 20 but it's not retro. makes perfect sense if you're one of the faggots on /vr/

The time is already here. The dreamcast was declared "retro" 5 years ago, but no other consoles from the SAME console generation are allowed, even though they are all years older than the dreamcast was. It's blatant favoritism.

Attached: index.jpg (300x263, 22K)

and, games are being made and released for NES, SNES, Genesis, and Colleco TODAY.

Star Fox 2 was released by Nintendo for the SNES in 2017

Yes. The Xbox 360 is the cutoff for retro. Anything released before it is retro. Anything released after (including the 360 itself) is modern.

playstation 2 especially was popular system and it was alive for many many years after dreamcast failed.

Last (official) game released for dreamcast was Border Down (2003), last game released for ps2 was FIFA 14 (2013), see?

Attached: 70.jpg (640x904, 106K)

No, the same reason baroque music isn't considered classical

If I published a game for the dreamcast right now, would that make the system not retro? your argument makes no sense.

>We’re
audible cringe from me, bud.
>fit
you're not fitting anything, I don't even visit /vr/ nor discuss (and never played) your boomer garbage that everyone forgot.

Correct. Personally, 5th gen 3D was pretty shitty, so I think that's officially where we should draw the line on retro

Karous came out for the dreamcast in 2007.

homebrews, bootlegs and non-official software doesn't count. Fifa 14 was legit game and supported and licensed by Sony, so it counts.

People have made games and put them into real cart's(and sold them too) for atari 2600 but that doesn't make them official or make the system suddenly modern or not-retro.

Attached: 094.jpg (300x160, 26K)

nah there too many games and Yea Forums played only 50% of them

Dreamcast had officially licensed games until 2007. Is the wii going to be retro 7 years later than the PS3 because just dance 2020 is coming to it?

Sure. Even PS3 will become retro in 1,5 years.

I post in /vr/ and I wouldn't mind PS2/Xbox/GC being discussed there, however whoever decides the rules for the board doesn't agree and I'm not aware of any way to communicate with said person

so doom 3 is retro?

I make a post complaining about it very year and get banned for a day every time. I complain in /qa/ every so often too but all I get is boombers saying the dreamcast is "special" and that games somehow magically changed in 2000.

I honestly believe /vr/ won't accept that gen as retro because they don't want to accept they are getting older

Yes?

Personally I think the Wii is borderline retro now.

I think it's a bit early, should at least wait for next gen.

Keep in mind the graphical leap from fifth to sixth generation was much larger than the one from sixth to seventh, so it feels more right grouping ps2 with "modern" consoles like ps3 and ps4 than with "retro" consoles like ps1

>With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not.

This is honestly the most retarded bullshit I've ever heard. What's their justification for it?

According to a post that that 5 years old.

The dreamcast is special because it's a few months older and the games "feel" more retro.

I don't know man, you find PS3 games in retro sections nowadays

ps2 was released in 1999 in japan. how is it not retro?

Go ask them I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dreamcast launched and died earlier than ps2/cube/xbox. Personally I think they are borderline retro these days, but once ps5/xbone2 comes out they are more or less retro

Wouldn't the 6th generation consoles be condered in 3 years due to the console generation having ended 15 years old.

I'd say yes sort of at this point. I have a bunch of zoomer kids. They wanted ps2 fatties not the slim. They've collected a gaystation original and some gaystation 2's (couple fatties one slim). Wii's are hot too even though they're aren't as old. Original Wii with gamecube controller ports. I bought a revision for them back when it came out without the ports. Anyhoo they keep buying this old shit like gamecubes or whatever console (even an xbox) or stuff like cassettes and vhs tapes. My one zoomer kid likes retro PC stuff too so they have an old XP and 98 set of lappys. It's not the same if I download the game they want the CD of the game.

Tfw you realise that Yea Forums is nintendo and /vr/ is sega and it's just a continuation of the decades long feud.

personally I don't think sixth gen games (including dreamcast) should ever be considered retro, regardless of how much time passes. "Retro" brings to mind 2d side scrollers like Metroid and Mega-Man, even 5th gen 3d games are really pushing it.

Oh and to add I'm not sure if it's due to Youtube celeb bullshit. My one zoomer kid bought a sony mavica for three bucks. They have a stash of old ass 3.5 floppies. Old VHS cameras and digital cams are a plus with them. Most popular TV is my old 13" CRT that used to be in the kitchen. Forgot about it in the closet. Now it's awesome apparently. Tape recorders are up there. WTF is going on? Old clothes are apparently hot too if from certain brands in the 90's.

Go tell that to car clubs and tell them that a 15 year old car isn't retro.

I'm in cars club. 15 years is not considered old or cool. It's more like 25 years and beyond.

25 years is antique plates in alot of states I think and importing foreign cars too. Something like that.

Old tech has soul. I can see why people like it.

I play old games but I'm not a purist. I always listened to the "PS2 looks bad on HD" meme, and since I usually bought sets under $500 and PS2 looked like shit, I believed it.

Then I dropped $1300 for a KS8000

rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

and PS2 has never looked better. It looks GOOD. Dreamcast with the VGA adapter looks GREAT. I got rid of my CRT. Id say just buy a high end modern set these days.

Letting 6th gen consoles into /vr/ creates a bad precedent because then people will argue that 7th gen should be eventually included too, even though 7th gen is fucking garbage and killed video games and there's nothing fucking retro about it.

If people complain they could just ignore it like they already do.

I actually have that set in my living room or the older version from a year or two ago. The other is a high end panasonic plasma before they stopped and switched to LCD. Pioneer+Panny mmm. Anyways they use the CRT on the secondary consoles or one of them does now and then. Oh and most games look even better if they have graphics packs like Wii/CEMU. You can really kick it up a notch.

I think it's atleast 30 years here and it has to be in original condition. The inspectors are pretty precise about it from what I've heard. Doesn't have the original radio? Yea fuck off it's not eligible.

If you fags want to discuss "retro" games after the fifth generation, push for a /vr2k/ board. That way you don't have to ruin the /vr/ board. There's literally no reason to sandbag an entire board because you want to discuss Halo.

Probably not, but that doesn't mean it's not nostalgic as fuck. I recently found my OG Xbox and I'm thinking of hacking it and pirating all the old games I've lost.

are we seriously considering games like sonic unleashed, persona 4 and god of war 2 retro?

Ok but dreamcast should get removed from /vr/. I agree that /vr/ should be for fifth gen and anything before but not after. Including dreamcast is just pure sega fanboyism.