Valve Index Kits are beginning to ship...

Valve Index Kits are beginning to ship, and from the looks of it they're aiming for a Friday arrival on all first wave orders.
Did you manage to grab one?

Attached: valve-index-preview-hands-on-4.jpg (1920x1080, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1059530/manuals/KitQSG_EN.pdf?t=1556741727
uploadvr.com/play-quake-ii-room-scale-vr-rift-vive/
roadtovr.com/valve-confirms-development-on-three-full-vr-games-not-experiments/
roadtovr.com/valve-affirms-development-vr-games-first-may-ship-with-knuckles/
ebay.com/itm/VR-Cable-Hooks-Set-Retractable-For-HTC-VIVE-For-wired-VR-headset-High-quality/382983677394?hash=item592b9b25d2:g:-dgAAOSwoTxc75fS
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Call me when all VR is wireless by default and we get decent resolution screens and it doesnt like a block on your face

>it doesnt like a block on your face
All the previews say that Index is the most comfortable headset yet.

Totally bro, call me when cars have no wheels and planes have no wings.

>false equivalance

I'd be as buttblasted as you if I was called out for saying retarded shit.

Call me when you learn to bend physics to hide a rectangle screen that has to be about 2 inches out from your face.

>ordered 2 days after it was available
>september shipping
it's not that bad, I'm going into surgery in a week and I won't be able to do anything anyway for a month

Index stock has gone beyond September now so you were lucky

Attached: ec1xsk0mvy531.png (640x205, 111K)

idunno I actually upgraded my order from knuckles to hmd and knuckles last week and it still says september.
I'm europe as well

Hopefully many poorfags can't afford it, volvo ramps up production and the que moves up.

I'll wait until it's $10 like Steam Link and Steam Controller.

meme gimmick thats already dead

Attached: 1545431461523.jpg (611x800, 218K)

steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/1059530/manuals/KitQSG_EN.pdf?t=1556741727

nope. kept getting a checkout error at the time and when it finally worked they were all "sold out".

i did the reservation thing and it said i can order one in july but i highly doubt thats accurate.
oh well, not really in the rush to buy one anyways. if anything, im kinda glad i didnt get in on the first wave because im sure theres gonna be issues with them.

the reservation thing is not an estimate its target for valve. Valve is attempting to get first wave to be at everyones doorstep exactly on 28th

Perhaps they are releasing a game on 28th as well

No, I'm not a richfag.

I just want the controllers. The Vive wands suck so fucking much.

Imagine paying 300 bucks for a fucking thumbstick. A thumbstick that was omitted in the HTC version BECAUSE Valve told them not to include one.

This level of cuckery shouldn't be possible.

300 bucks for
>unbeatable ergo
>finger tracking
>thumbstick touchpad extra buttons
>reliability
>being able to let go of the controller
>way smaller footprint of the controller thats way closer to your hand for better interaction with small things

300 is a fair price.

Wait about 6 years or so.

Less. Vive is already wireless but outdated.

What are the chances of this ever going on sale? I'd love one, but $1000 is to steep for me.

1000%.
Buy a vive and just gradually update. used vive prices will drop like a stone once index comes out since everyone is upgrading

Most things will get cheaper eventually, the thing though being by the time the index is cheap it'll be woefully outdated by whatever is replacing it. Thus continues the endless cycle of "I'll wait for it to be cheap / this fucking sucks 'cause it's outdated as shit."

Vive prices are self-limiting. The base stations are worth 200 bucks just by themselves, the headset is around 150, and the controllers are similar.

>talk to me when it's wireless
the vive is
>uhhh talk to me when it has a good resolution!!!
reverb or index
>talk to me when it's got a good FOV!!!!
pimax or index
>talk to me when uh... it's not strapping a monitor to your face!!!!

the absolute state of these copefags. stay mad, vr aint going anywhere

>tfw can have a 20% off sale whenever I want by saying its a business expense

Attached: 1390901441799.gif (406x449, 502K)

>what is 3d projection on walls
>what are curved screens
>what are oval shapes
>what are constant technological advances

No because they're not selling them in Canada.

Does it have eye tracking for foveated rendering?

Resolution is still not quite there. Also "resolution" really mean fidelity of visuals and that requires a lot of things. Improved optics, comfort, foveated rendering, HDR, all of that will apply to increasing the fidelity of visuals.

I'd say for it to be something that could replace monitors would be the point where the visual fidelity is nearly perfect. Thats gonna take a while. 6 years feels right.

Fuck idk. Maybe not. But I'd say according the Michael Abrash's prediction, its gonna take about 3 more years for 4kx4k per eye with foveated rendering, I just added another 3 years to be safe and for wireless compatibility.

Without wireless, it could here by 2021.

I'd be fine without wirelesss. At that point, if it gets to be that good, I'd get a VR backpack PC that can de-dock.

>does the flux capacitor have multiple anti-polarizing ionization reductors?

You noticed we haven't had any processors that go faster than 4-5ghz for about a decade? Notice (real) cameras still have giant lenses slapped in front of the photo element despite camera technology being around for 100's of years? You know why? Physics.
You need to literally warp light for this to work, which ain't happening with flat displays by itself, you /need/ lenses. Which /requires/ physical dimensionality to be able to do. Which means needing physical distances between optical elements to work. Your "VR in a set of glasses" or worse, "VR/AR in contact lenses" won't and can't ever happen, for a myriad of reasons that aren't even limited to the literal optics needed for VR to work.

Resolution is a meme beyond a certain point anyway. Vive is passable.
Index and such lets you actually use ironsights. maybe 1 morek of res ontop of that with fovated rendering so it takes less resources from pc and we're golden

what is a little faggot dunning kruiegering because he got an A in english for his essay on minecraft.

if you guys hadn't buy shitty consoles for these years you could have saved for this

>Resolution is a meme beyond a certain point anyway
What does this even mean? You can't just call everything a meme. We're still a very long ways away from where an increase in resolution isn't noticeable. Of course, we're also quite a ways away from having powerful enough GPUs to deliver such high resolutions at the needed framerates.

>what are constant technological advances
the kind of thing kids say to justify irrational positions

>>Resolution is a meme beyond a certain point anyway. Vive is passable.
Vive is absolutely nowhere near passable.

You can't resolve iron sights with the current crop of 10-15 PPD headsets. You won't be able to resolve them with the 20-25 PPD Index.

60 PPD is the minimum, and we're miles off that.

I just upgraded my phone from 1080p screen to double its resolution and the difference is not noticable.

On pc beyond 2k res unless you got a massive monitor the resolution really doesn't matter, framerate is more important and noticable.

Same for vr, we are not at disminishing returns yet but it propably lies somewhere around 4k, after which upgrading screen resolution is a meme

>You won't be able to resolve them with the 20-25 PPD Index.
funny how all the people with index say you can.

I'm so hyped bros

Attached: file.png (261x49, 5K)

>Vive is absolutely nowhere near passable.
It is, the issue with irons is the way the sweetspot works. You need it higher than normal to have irons in sweetspot otherwise they're blurry
Sure its still impossible when its super dark and when brainlet devs dont put glowsights on the guns.

But you are wildly overreacting.

This is the most retarded post I have ever read

The issue isn't blurriness, it's a lack of visual fidelity. If I hold a real gun at arms length, I can very easily see every single detail of the front sight. If I hold a VR gun at arms length, the front sight is 3 pixels wide and fades into the background extremely easy. Even with contrasting glow sights, this issue isn't really resolved.

You're basically forced to use red dots if you want any level of accuracy, because scopes straight up don't work due to parallax errors with the single focal plane, and to use them you have to be a literal retard closing one eye.

I can make out sights in H3 a hell of lot better than I can on my CV1, and the only difference is a tiny bump in res and different pixel arrangement.
The Index will be huge for people who live in a place who can actually fucking buy one

>buying a 1000 USD Index when you can buy a 200 USD WMR
Retard.

>what is cryogenic freezing
you should check that out because you're gonna need it for the fucking fantasy tech you're hoping will arrive in our lifetime

you're right but the difference between blurry and non blurry on vive is massive, they are usable when they're in sweetspot.
Fucking pavlov is unplayable cause the dev is a retard tho and didnt put reddots or glow sights on guns along with virtual stock.
wmr is trash tier.

The difference here is you're shoving that display right against your eyeballs, and you can't really use all the resolution because of the optics. 1080x1200(x2) is WAY too low for anything halfway decent, and the 1440p panels are only just approaching the low end of acceptable. 4k per eye foveated I'd guess is the point things start to unquestionably start to look decent.

Nah, I'm waiting to see if there's going to be any Black Friday deals on those. I've got a Rift until then that works just fine. I mainly play Beat Saber anyway.

>we'll never have self driving cars, that's fantasy
>talking to someone across the world? no way
>seeing the person youre calling on the phone? IMPOSSIBLE
>computers in your pocket?
>mind controlled prosthetic limbs?

>muh musk

I disagree, but I have at least 20/10 vision, which means I effectively see in 4x the resolution of the average person.

>only read the first sentence and scramble to respond with a meme

Thanks for your meaningful contribution

tethered will always have the better quality
if you want wireless EVER you're gonna have to sacrifice quality

>they are usable when they're in sweetspot.
They aren't. I can't quickly establish a bearing because of the focal plane issue, and both the gun and the target are unresolvable at the kind of distances I like to shoot at.

If you're playing CQC garbage like Pavlov and all the modes in H3, this stuff doesn't really matter much, because you're just point shooting fucking everything anyway, you shouldn't even need to look at your sights unless the barrel angle is absolutely fucked.

If you're trying to do something fun like target plinking at 50m, you're going to have a bad time.

based

>don't buy a car, just wait for self driving cars!
>don't buy a phone, wait for Skype!
>don't buy a computer! soon they will be in our pockets!
>don't buy a prosthetic! wait for mind controlled prosthetics!

Why wait for 'real VR' in 30, 40 years when you could actually be playing what the current tech has to offer right now? Nobody felt scammed when they drove non-self driving cars, or used land-line phones, or had giant fucking Packard bells to browse the Internet. You're a retard

>giant computer fills a room
>a few decades later a computer much more advanced fits in your pocket

I guess there will never be any improvements to wireless. Enjoy that tunnel vision

I'm not that same guy who cried false equivalence, I was just responding to your post implying physics is holding back technological advancement.

Because what the current tech has to offer is a fucking joke?

VR games currently are bad arcade experiences. Why bother when I can still play good arcade experiences very easily?

not available in my shithole
maybe eventually, I don't think the vive did too badly here

if you're gonna sit around waiting for the next tech advancement instead of taking advantage of what we have right now, why are you even posting on Yea Forums? won't we be glidigg through cyberspace formulating posts with our cyber minds? isn't that 'real' shit posting?

A computer that fits in your pocket is shit though compared to a desktop, let alone a computer that fills a room. No matter how many improvements are made to wireless, it's pretty much guaranteed to be worse than tethered.

first self driving car
>1920 (automata and robots like a few century before that even lmao)
First communication across the world:
>signalling across the wall of china aka the known world for many at 400bc, first actual message sending not signalling: 1600s.
Seeing person you are calling on the phone: >1800s, 2 years after telephone was invented.
Pocket Computer:
>you're too young to remember but they were literally called palm or pocket computers.
etyc etc
point is if it waspossible to be done it would've been done already. The technology for that shit would exist.

The only one out of that list that was remotely a matter of "There's no way that's ever happening" as opposed "Hypothetically, with enough processing thrown at the problem, that could work." was the computer in your pocket, and even at that, that was only in the 50's when micro transistors and micro processors weren't a thing yet. By the time we had said micro processors, the notion of computers getting ever smaller was a fact of life, getting to the point you could fit it on your person was a inevitability.
You're not butting up against the limits of physics with things like microcomputers though, with wireless transmission you are.

actually vive wireless is fine. Just needs beefy cpu for signal encoding and decoding but otherwise its latency is not noticable.

you sound like a poorfag who hasn't actually played anything in vf

Good luck with your surgery user, I hope you make a full recovery.

>doesn't ship to my country
Being an ausfag is suffering.

Only joke about current tech is how shitty pancake gaming and how wasted potential non vr games are.
first person games would all be better if they were VR

VR isn't fucking expensive anymore, I picked up a second-hand Vive for next to nothing.

I've played pretty much everything of interest in VR, and I found all of it extremely wanting. Superhot VR is probably the closest thing to an actual game, and it's still fraught with issues. It's a game I'd never return to, unlike something like Virtua Cop which I can happily play every few months.

I'd really like to see some more FPS games in VR. I think something like Quake, with its perfectly accurate guns and no recoil on automatics, would be a really interesting experience, although I really wonder how movement could be handled separately from both hand and head tracking, that's something VR completely fails at, which is crazy because it's literally the first thing I thought of. Why these devices don't come with some kind of belt or chest harness is a complete fucking mystery, but I guess they were designed with teleportation garbage in mind.

I can't wait for VR tech to let me have sex with whoever I want in a completely immersive way.

Attached: lilith.png (1280x914, 396K)

Supreme taste bro.

Attached: yooooooooooo.jpg (470x720, 38K)

Maybe try a forwarding service? Must suck being upside down and a million miles away from anything that actually matters, but at least you guys have a easier time with weeb stuff than the rest of the western world.
uploadvr.com/play-quake-ii-room-scale-vr-rift-vive/

>at least you guys have a easier time with weeb stuff than the rest of the western world
Shame the exchange rate is shit though. Guess I'll let you all beta test it for me before valve decides to release it here.

Low IQ post

When I say Quake, I really mean 3 here, that's the one everyone remembers.

Thinking more about movement, I realise you could do without a body tracker if the game assumes your forward facing direction is the way your legs are turned, and you just stick to 180 torso movement to aim with a rotation input for anything further than that. Anyone seen a game that offers forward facing movement? Seems like a no-brainer, but it feels like everyone is just using hand-based movement and head-based movement, which are objectively inferior.

>release a new $1000 headset package
>3 years have passes since the original
>still not a single first party game

why would anyone in their right minds buy this thing when even the video game company producing it isn't creating software for it. Oculus' hardware may be disappointing but at least they are releasing games.

Attached: 1557417299048.jpg (836x543, 111K)

name 3 good oculus exclusives

Oculus' games are fucking terrible, Valve are probably terrified of releasing another stinker.

Then again, they probably just canned production of anything VR related years ago so they could pump out more CS skins. Valve will never release anything VR related, they're terrified of locomotion.

this will change eventually, when new wireless tech is developed specifically for VR (eg. LIFI). there may always be some latency cost but it could easily become truly imperceptible.

>that's the one everyone remembers.
??? wrong

From what I remember, something similar is a option in a few of VR games, you don't see much of it though because it's objectively shit, you're gonna want to do a lot of looking in VR, and having movement tied to where you're looking is pretty unnatural and annoying, not to mention potentially nauseating if you're particularly prone to that sort of thing.
The best locomotion at the moment really is a stick on a controller with any physical interaction, including aiming, done with the 6DoF controllers.
roadtovr.com/valve-confirms-development-on-three-full-vr-games-not-experiments/

Lone Echo
Robo Recall
The Climb

Plus more new ones coming in the next few months.

Shit, wrong link:
roadtovr.com/valve-affirms-development-vr-games-first-may-ship-with-knuckles/

>The last part of Newell’s email suggests that Knuckles—the company’s next-gen VR controllers which have been in development for years—will ship with at least one of Valve’s VR games.
Well we know that isn't true since Aperature Hand Labs is being made by Cloudhead Games

>having movement tied to where you're looking
Do you not get the point of body tracking? Movement should be tied to the direction your lower body is facing.

Currently, the options are head tracking, which is shit, and hand tracking, which is better, but still dogshit because you're using those hands for other things. What do I do if I want to point a 2 handed weapon and track an enemy across my FOV while moving on a constant course? With both head and hand tracking, this is impossible, you have to keep track of too many variables, and slowly rotate your movement input with the inverse of your hand/head movement. With lower body tracking, this is trivial, because you hold a direction on your stick or trackpad, and your body moves in that direction while your head and hands follow the target in a different one.

Mine hasn't shipped yet

>With lower body tracking, this is trivial,
Ok,
>Because you hold a direction on your stick or trackpad
Wat? You don't need a belt tracker to do that, you can use a analog stick to move yourself one way while looking elsewhere perfectly fine. Frankly the only way to do VR movement properly is to have a Infinadeck, which isn't exactly the most practical thing to have.

And it isn't even a game, it's an "experience".

Face it, Valve are not releasing any VR games, or any game most likely, for a long long time.

Both Valve and VR cultists are their own special brand of crazy, when you get them both together you really will see posts like "I bet HL3 will be VR only and you'll get a download code for it with every order of the Index". These people are mentally ill, they seriously think these companies are god, and that they didn't even bother announcing a game when the thing went up for pre-order to make it a "surprise".

All this movement stuff is a waste of fucking time until headsets are wireless. When I play a room scale game like arizona sunshine, that encourages you to physically turn, I always end up getting frustrated by the cable and reverting back to standing still. It's so much fucking easier to just flick the analogue stick than it is to detangle myself from the cable or attempt to avoid it.

I'm never going to buy another wired headset. And I'm definitely not going to pay $1000 for this then another $300 on top for the eventual wireless mod.

ebay.com/itm/VR-Cable-Hooks-Set-Retractable-For-HTC-VIVE-For-wired-VR-headset-High-quality/382983677394?hash=item592b9b25d2:g:-dgAAOSwoTxc75fS

meh they are just hopeful.
Wanna see crazy? Nintendo fanchildren Fuckers are all LITERALLY autistic as fuck playing childrens games.

OG oculus was 400$ for a complete set 2 years ago, now 2 years later I have to shell out 1000$ for such a small upgrade, and the games are still not beyond the tech demo phase.

So no I did not and will not order one

>he doesn't like a block on his face

What a faggot, get with the /fa/ insecurelett.

That only partially solves the issue. You still feel the tug of the cable on the headset, it can still get tangled and it can still get in the way if you put your arms above your head.

>Did you manage to grab one?
Yes. I don't think it'll be here by Friday tho

theres an app for tangelment. I just use snapturn or untangle every once in a while.

AVAILABLE FOR AUSCUNTS WHEN
I SWEAR TO GOD IF VALVE PRETEND WE DONT EXIST, I WILL SHOVE A DIDGERIDOO SO FAR UP GABES ASS HE WONT BE ABLE TO FART WITHOUT IT SOUNDING LIKE HE SHIT HIMSELF

Attached: druids.gif (120x89, 52K)

From the looks of the shipping confirmations, they seem to be aiming for a Friday release

Attached: rcvk2mz35v531.jpg (640x632, 84K)

There's a big difference between hope and delusion.

hl vr is all but officially confirmed.
But to someone outta the loop it might seem like delusion.

>LCD display
I'm sticking with my Oculus Rift.

If I understand what you mean correctly, you would essentially just make it so one direction in the room is always forwards and the player should never physically turn. That seems reasonable as long as the person playing is ok with rotating with the controller. This seems like a perfectly reasonable option although I think I would still prefer head relative motion. Also, hip trackers do exist, but I don't think they work the way you want them too. However, that is also a pretty good idea that shouldn't be too hard to do for the people who happened to spend an extra $100 on the tracker.

Is the Quest with ALVR for Steam VR laggy as fuck? Or is it good enough?

I want to watch VR porn while sunbathing in my yard and I don't want to trip over a cable and break my neck while gaming.

have fun with screendoor

please tell me how 144 hz VR feels

Attached: tbt.gif (500x207, 3.06M)

It will effectively have a much higher resolution than the Rift

Makes 90fps feel like 60fps