What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: PS Vita.png (600x271, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

psvitamod.com/pkgj/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

got pokemogged

>tfw no 3U, 4U or XX on Vita

Attached: 1545288938764.jpg (525x618, 48K)

literally only thing that went wrong is Sony being greedy jews and pricing sd cards way too high. That alone has killed the Vita for many people.

Poor marketing didn't help. WTF the ad with the lady with tits on her back.

was simply too based for people to handle

Smartphone killed it and lack of sony support

High hardware prices, game prices, and very poor first party support. The 3DS had also not only released the better part of a year earlier, but had dropped in price significantly months before the Vita launched.

Without going into my typical essay spiel, it doesn't play Nintendo games and Sony had literally no idea what the fuck to do with it. A lot of little details to dig into but that's more or less the gist of it.

>mostly just obscure weebshit for games
>barely any marketing after the reveal
>phones and Nintendo already occupying its space

It came out right when the next gen consoles (PS4, Xbone) were about to come out. And in my opinion the only way it would've actually been successful is if the casual normie audience invested into it. But in the end it was the niche anime, indie crowd that kept it afloat. I barely bout one last year and it really is a great portable gaming system.

phones

I really like my softmoded OLED Vita too, that's why I made this thread.

Any games you guys recommend? I want to pick up Dead or Alive 5,+ is it any good?

the PSP was already good

vita was unnecessary

Mandatory proprietary memory.

Nothing, it was perfect.
>great games
>no normies playing them

persona 4 golden

It's a good port.
I like Rabi-Ribi as a metroidvania unironically, the playboy bunnies are just gravy.
Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys: Lacrimosa of Dana if you like Action-Adventure games.

First party games are all shovelware garbage though.

Unironically this. It was filtered by the lack of normalfags playing it and shined brightly with quality because of this.

Smartphones

I never owned a PSP but playing PSP games on Vita was a great experience. Being able to rebind controls and map cameras to the second stick was a very nice touch.

I bought a OLED version from Japan a couple of weeks ago. I like the way it looks but I also have a Slim and I think I like the way that one feels more. Still trying to decide which one I want to use to hack.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Sony did nothing to help their situation, which means that they have to ride the PS4 for dear life
Had they any idea what first party software was supposed to be, or even paid out developers to do it for them, there would be a market for Vita games.

Nintendo paid Capcom to keep Monster Hunter off the Vita

Marketing and support was severely lacking from Sony

SD cards are also proprietary.

Poor first party support leads to a poor perceiving of worthwhile content on a surface level. Believe it or not, most people don't buy handhelds for the third party games. 3DS sold because it has Mario, Pokemon, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing and so on. And even then, it sold pretty poorly before it started getting those things nearly a year into its lifecycle. Vita had niche but solid third party support and look at all the people who cared. You're talking to a significant fraction of that population in this very thread.

More like MonHun mogged. Shit's what kept the PSP afloat despite the rampant piracy.
Some clones it got like SS Delta and Freedom Wars was pretty great though, but lacks both the polish and brand recognition MonHun had.

That would in no way save the system
Sony is especially known for playing that business model, anyway. If that's what ruined them, they should have bid higher.
The 3DS also happened to be nearly $100 cheaper
Third party support was horribly one sided, any high budget projects that could have happened probably never did. It's left with niche games that the Switch or PC can get without trying nearly as hard.

And then you have all the people who complain that everything after MHFU is casual trash. Top kek.

>The 3DS also happened to be nearly $100 cheaper

Right before the Vita launched, yes. 3DS launched at $250 as well and it found little success at that price. Sony did the same with Vita, but imposed extra costs with its memory cards AND doubled down on that stance, probably in part because the Vita was too expensive to produce for them to price cut it like Nintendo did. But yeah, that 3DS price cut (and it getting both a Super Mario and Mario Kart) mere weeks before Vita launched more or less left it stillborn.

I’m referring mainly to 3DS games like Pokemon and Mario when I say that too you know
3DS literally has 2 worthwhile games in its entire library worth playing, Stella Glow and 7th Dragon III Code VFD made by the same studio that went bankrupt on Nintendo’s garbage platform. If we went by sales then we would never get a good game worth playing ever again.

The proprietary memory was a huge blow to the system, but other than that, I think the Vita was just poorly marketed and didn't have any real killer handheld franchises. Vita was all about console level games on the go, but does the average consumer really give a shit about that? The answer is no. People just want good games and gimmicks. Pokemon is the perfect handheld franchise, and it encourages socialization with other users. Normies love shit like that, they don't care that you can play fucking Killzone on the go. I mean its cool as fuck but normies want to have their little cute gimmicky whatever game they can play with friends and whatever. Sony's franchises work on console but they don't really fit on a handheld. Sony doesn't have a Pokemon-type game that draws people in and make people want to carry around a fucking Vita everywhere nor do they have the visionaries to make something like that happen. Has Sony ever made a franchise that was really a revolution in the industry like Pokemon was? Not really.

I think the Vita is a fantastic device with no much potential that was just mishandled.

how do I pirate vita games for this fucking thing
asking for a friend haha
he just hacked it tonight

>If we went by sales then we would never get a good game worth playing ever again.

I don't agree 100% with that but I agree with it enough to ultimately see eye to eye. Unfortunately, games that don't sell don't keep platforms alive, you NEED those around so that the platform can have a userbase that says to devs "Hey, there's a bunch of people here who might buy your game, maybe put it on this platform?". Loathe as I am to say it, it's naive to think that quality is all that matters in a platform's library, it also needs those surefire sellers so it can garner that support in the first place.

>>/vg/hbg

yeah I installed all the homebrew they recommended but i want to pirate shit

Stella Glow was fucking garbage

Animal crossing, link between worlds, kirby robobot, luigi's mansion, etc are all well worth playing. Pokemon isn't for everyone, but it wasn't all bad.
Smash bros, mariokart, 3d world, and tomodachi life were fun if you bought them early.

Download NPS Browser to get games. Vitapiracy for english patches.

thanks

It kicks ass, and I love mine. But an upgraded PSP in 2012 wasn't something anyone really asked for. Tablet devices just started making waves at that point, as were smart phones. It's an amazing product just for an audience that was going in another direction.

Attached: igry-s-perspektivoj-12.jpg (650x426, 88K)

Nobody buys good niche Japanese quality games on Nintendo’s platforms until recently when Sony shot themselves in the foot by censoring all of them and there’s literally becomes no other option though. Even then we still don’t know how much titles like omega labyrinth will sell on Switch when the only previous company making good niche Japanese games literally went bankrupt on the 3DS platform that supposedly had how many millions of units sold.

Nintendo platforms have always had reliable third party Japanese support. Game Boy or DS, they've always gotten those weird Japanese games.

Sony.
Memory cards that fail and are overpriced.
Lack of good exclusive games(typical Sony since ps3)
Gave up on it when people got a legit interest in it for psnow(which they removed because the wifi chip sucks) and pstv.
So, sony being sony.

How is it as a remote play machine?
I'm mostly away from my PS4 at work so I kinda want to play FFXIV on it.

It was such a fantastic handheld. Fuck sony.

Attached: 1561261171337 (1).jpg (383x680, 54K)

I’m talking anout sales user, care to explain to me why I am not getting a Stella Glow 2 or new 7th Dragon on Switch?

no games

*for normalfags and that’s a good thing

Because not a lot of people bought them? Maybe audiences weren't very receptive to them? I doubt these things would magically change on Vita or another platform. These kinds of games are typically destined to do very...modest numbers. I mean, how many people bought something like Knights in the Nightmare or Theresia?

this

Exactly my point, people who buy consoles for first party shovelware do not buy niche Japanese games regardless of if they’re good or not.

stupid name

And also these two games are not like a Knights in the Nightmare or Theresia, they are quite literally the highest polished and produced JRPGs with amazing music and visual quality and are the only two games I’ve found at all remarkable enough on the 3DS to play through to the end after having it hacked for many years and having how many hundreds of games of its pathetic shovelware library available to me.

But the more people that own a platform, the more likely a dev is going to look its way. Funny how PSP got Rockstar's attention but Vita didn't? Probably had a lot to do with sales momentum. That's a AAA example mind you but it gets the general point across, more people that have a platform equals more potential sales. I do think you're right but I doubt that factors too heavily on every smaller devs' minds. The savvy ones can definitely assess the KIND of audience they're appealing to and the platforms they play on but again, that takes savvy. It's easier to see which one has the bigger userbase and prioritize that one. Vita is eternally lucky that it wasn't completely overshadowed in such a fashion, likely due to how much more horsepower it had than the 3DS, but for being such a victim of circumstance it garnered an amazing amount of support, all things considered. Vita SHOULD have died for good back around 2015 given its lack of momentum, Sony had all but given up on it by then, and yet it lived on well beyond that. The little guy's pretty blessed as is.

user, I'm looking at these games and the production values barely scratch that of a Kid Icarus Uprising, Dead or Alive Dimensions or Resident Evil Revelations/Mercenaries 3D. They kinda look around Etrian Odyssey level to me.

I think it's funny how you're trying to spin Killzone as something anyone but normalfags would be interested in.

I just want my Stella Glow 2 user I don’t care about 99% of the shovelware that comes out these days
The games you mentioned all look like western realism inspired garbage with tripe gameplay so I honestly can’t even tell where their supposedly huge budget is even going. Maybe the ugly inferior 3D models?

No I'm not. Normies like Killzone on a console, the point was that normies don't care about console games on the go.

Your tunnelvision is so hyperfocused that you called Kid Icarus Uprising western realism inspired garbage. RE, I get. DoA, you're really pushing it since the girls still looked like real dolls but whatever. Kid Icarus, though?

You know what, whatever. I get where you're coming from, I want my Freedom Wars sequel something fierce, or even for that game to be fucking finished at all. But there's more to life and vidya than bitterly anticipating ONE sequel that has a small chance of happening. Otherwise I'd still be too hung up on that Freedom Wars sequel to this day. I say lighten up a little, there's plenty of other games out there.

Western-influenced cartoony garbage same difference I just didn’t want to type it out. They would still probably be alive and making Switch games right now if they stuck to the Vita. I’d take that over having them make two amazing games for the 3DS for shiteaters that don’t even appreciate them even if it meant that I’d be stuck playing nothing but monster hunter on the garbage 3DS that actually has no games. Vita had DT2, Demon Gaze, Ciel/Ar Nosurge and many others. What the fuck did the 3DS actually have that was worth playing?

>What the fuck did the 3DS actually have that was worth playing?
EO, Rune Factory, inazuma eleven, first party games if you're into that.

>kid icarus
>western realism inspired garbage

Attached: 1560098142091m.jpg (536x1024, 51K)

That's subjective. Clearly you're all about dungeon crawlers and JRPGs, which makes me wonder why you're not so keen on stuff like Etrian Odyssey or Bravely Default but to each their own. For me, my speed of RPG is more Ys Oath in Felghana or TWEWY so I can't 100% level with you. For my tastes though I liked the games I listed above plus stuff like Sayonara Umihara Kawase (though that got an improved port to Vita, fine by me) and even the Senran Kagura games on it. Hell, I liked Spirit Camera but I'm also a huge Fatal Frame fan. I enjoyed stuff like Brandish the Dark Revenant, Deception IV, Yomawari and Soul Sacrifice on Vita but I also liked stuff like Tearaway, Killzone Mercenary and even shit I wouldn't normally check out like Lumines Electronic Symphony and Wipeout 2048. I prefer Japanese games but I don't inherently hate Western games either, and Vita actually had a pretty healthy helping of those for a Japanese handheld.

As a 3DS owner I thought the Vita library looked much more appealing. Got a Vita last year and I was 100% right. Most games on the 3DS had to use chibi character models cause the system couldn't handle anything more intense.

It could but not for terribly massive games. Its most polished titles tended to operate in smaller spaces with the occasional semi-exception like Kingdom Hearts 3D. By and large though, Vita could do a lot of what 3DS did better and beyond so when trading blows Vita probably had the better games on average.

Yet metacritic and sales say otherwise.
Its funny how Vitabros(I have a Vita just for portable mgs and ps1 games) push this weird narrative, but then tell people to hack it and play non vita games. Vita’s best quality was bc with ps1 and psp, and emulation of nintendo games. I bet vita owners pre-manufacturing killing, bought less than 3 games total.

Where I know most 3ds owners bought 5+

Vita actually has an absurdly high attach rate. Not many people bought Vitas but those who stuck with it did buy games for it.

Vita has a shit ton of great games, it's just that most of the exclusives are niche and a lot of it's other exciting games were PS4 etc. multiplats.

Etrian Odyssey/RF’s art and character designs are way too low quality/production value for me and Bravely Defaults designs just scream “we want the 2D otaku crowd without actually offending the western normalfag crowd who hate anime designs” so I never got into them. Senran Kagura is fine I guess but the art is far from top Japanese quality to me. I haven’t tried any vita games solely for the gameplay yet since I’m still backlogged on games with both good art and gameplay so I haven’t played anything like Soul Sacrifice yet.

I can't say I put nearly that much emphasis on artstyle but hey, you do you.

The ones with the good artstyles always have the good gameplay too I don’t know why it always works out like this but don’t blame me.

Sounds like a you problem, desu. I don't see how RF/EO is any lower quality in their art department than equivalent Vita games other than the fact that they are on a glorified potato with 3D capabilities.

Why the fuck should I care what normies buy or what some cuckold critics say?

>beautiful
>handheld
>emulates almost everything perfectly
>remote play on PS4
>even has some decent indie titles

Nothing went wrong. In fact, it's too good to be true.

You forgot some things
>remote play with PS3
>native PSP/PS1 support
>integer scaling from PSP
>OLED
>actual joyticks
>great d-pad
The failure for the vita has to be marketing. When I was in high school people were amazed I could play black ops on a handheld, it had decent controls, etc. I even convinced a few normies to buy one for killzone, uncharted, etc. on the go. But no one knew what it was. 9/10 people thought it was a PSP.

I am an expert in Japanese art and female character designs. My dick gives me the signal and tells me it’s no good. RF female character designs look like pre-2010 anime designs or worse ingame and EO looks like chibishit.

>RF female character designs look like pre-2010 anime designs or worse ingame and EO looks like chibishit.

Attached: Ah...well..um...fuck it, I'm out.jpg (300x562, 28K)

>implying pre-2010 anime designs aren't good

Attached: 6a3f9-mazinkaiser2b12.gif (500x237, 1.86M)

Nothing. Hack it to unlock its full potential.

psvitamod.com/pkgj/
this is basically freeshop

>that picture though
top fuckin kek