I dont get it, whats the appeal? you are just paying money to BORROW something you dont even get to own...

i dont get it, whats the appeal? you are just paying money to BORROW something you dont even get to own. why are so many people nostalgic for this fucking store?!

Attached: blockbuster.jpg (1920x1080, 335K)

Hi user, please terms and conditions of using such services like Steam, Uplay Playstation Store or Xbox Live.

After realising that you also actually borrowing licenses for games - please reconsider going to Yea Forums and fuck off.

Attached: sneaky beeping.jpg (300x300, 42K)

i dont get it, whats the appeal? you are just paying money to BORROW something you dont even get to own.

Attached: netflixlogo-56a4b4183df78cf77283d151.jpg (768x356, 19K)

You are paying for the experience.

18+

-Of being in a BLOCKBUSTER store

Games were pricy and parents were cheapskates, the nostalgia factor comes from the games and movies they experience, not the shopping experience.

>Blockbuster
Movie Gallery and Family Video only.

Attached: 17860.jpg (952x536, 117K)

That's what OP was referencing, doofus

Because most games are so short now that they can be beaten in a single weekend, and we don't want to pay full price for a short ass game.

>whats the appeal?
As a kid I enjoyed browsing the aisles looking at all the different games and movies.
You have to remember that there was no internet like today to discover new games so the only way you were discovering something new was in a magazine (EGM,Playstation Magazine, Nintendo Power, Gamepro) or you rented a few different games.

Back in the 90s video games were as expensive then as they are now, maybe $10 cheaper.

Most parents wouldn't buy their kids a game unless it was their birthday or something, and this was also the best way to try out new games other then demo discs playstation would send you in the mail.

i beat ff10 on a 3 day rental, that was a good ass long weekend

Movie Gallery was really no better than Blockbuster. Prices weren't better, selection wasn't better, and they had worse fees.

because you could beat most games within a week, so you're experiencing most of the game for a fraction of the price

based dumb zoomer

There are lots of games worth a couple bucks to play through but not worth a buy

>hrrrrrrr give me (you)s, lots and lots of you's!

At a video store you could see so many movies & games at once, box art could jump out at you. Picking something engaged the senses - the stores smelled weird, you'd walk around, you'd pick up the boxes and sometimes all you knew about something was what they'd written on the back. You'd rent a 3/10 because you didn't have access to the sum total of human knowledge. Sometimes you'd actually ask other people you knew if something was good. Sometimes you'd wonder about something for days. Even if you don't understand what I'm going on about the reality is that you will, and soon - things aren't just changing, the rate of change is increasing. No one will be spared these feelings.

>seems like no one has bought that copy of geist yet
>years later
>yep, still there

everyone who's nostalgic for blockbuster is over 30. They remember blockbuster being there when they were kids and their parents were together and their mom would take them to rent movies or games as dad provided for the family. Now at 30, presumably working for 8-12 years, and struggling to just rent some shithole 1 bedroom apartment/studio for $2,000/mo, they realize how shit this country and the world have become. They don't so much want Blockbuster back, they want to return to a time when the world wasn't shit.

I remember back in 97' I went to rent FF3 on snes, I bent down to grab the game and some guy just muttered behind me "damn that's a fatass"
I turned around quick but he was gone, always haunts me to this day when I bend over to pick anything up, who the fuck was he? what did he look like? fuck I won't be able to sleep tonight.

It's paying 10/15 bucks to take the game home and clear it in a week, if you really like the game and want to play it again, THEN you can buy it, but as things were, some people just preferred renting that shit out, finishing it, and giving it back for like, 1/5th of the actual game price. All you're losing is the replay value.

shoo zoomie

Multiplayer games didn't exist in the capacity they do today.
Most people would just play a game to beat in in a week or two and then have no real use for it.

>you are just paying money to BORROW something
Hey kinda like Steam.

I rented a copy of F-Zero GX, thought it was too hard, then didn't play it for the rest of the rental period

>only way you were discovering something new was in a magazine (EGM,Playstation Magazine, Nintendo Power, Gamepro) or you rented a few different games.
My mom forced me to rent a new game one time 'cause I'd always rent the same shit and that's how I discovered this gem.

Attached: 6_original.jpg (665x444, 64K)

My older brother always got to choose but any time I did, I rented conker's bad fur day over and over till i finally got it for my bday.

>tfw I'm the older brother
We played pretty much the entire core N64 library throughout the years, at least.

Attached: D6fJclcXsAAGlaM.jpg large.jpg (147x135, 8K)

>tfw Family Video still lives

Another victory for the Midwest.

Attached: 1502430847048[1].png (789x653, 26K)

more boomer stories please

I pushed a kid down to rent Majora's Mask

When you're a kid, it's harder to get money. The $5 rental would let you play a game you otherwise wouldn't be able to play.

Literally one of the few things I remember about living in Illinois being good, user.