How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

Attached: 1558151821015.jpg (724x1024, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_room
youtube.com/watch?v=guY4cuELvLw
youtube.com/watch?v=s6Mi29yJE44
youtube.com/watch?v=CN_eL5ukCbw
youtu.be/k12_CbEyS94?t=73
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingIsScarier
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 1476075747191.gif (720x960, 2.74M)

What's the oldest horror game that's good?

I don't care if it's DOS I just want to know the oldest one Yea Forums considers good

Darkwood

>Horror MMO
>You can create unlimited characters but each character only has one life and drops all items/weapons if they die (which another of your characters or another player might be able to get)
>However, if you store items at a specific safe place you can have access to them on any of your characters and keep
>The playable world is incredibly diverse, like a nightmare that everyone is trapped in. Different zones based on areas across the real world, except they are all fucking twisted like some Silent Hill shit
>Multiple instances with different loot, players, monsters of the same areas.
>This makes running into another player rare (maybe 1 or 2 at a time) but makes it feels more valuable and organic
>Players can trade and coop, but cannot kill each other
>Players basically free roam and complete storyline/quests as they come across it
>Upgrade their gear, stats, and abilities as they find more loot or work their character
>You can store the best gear and weapons for your other characters but stats/abilities are unique to that character
>Item and ammo spawn randomly. Scarcity forces you to run away from most encounters, and, due to sharding, enemies may or may not be the same when you come back if you left them alive (you'll have to kill an enemy to make sure another doesn't spawn in that shard)
>Some safe places where you can spend in-game money to buy items from shops and erect infrastructure to use
>I.E. Shop for ammo, supplies. Workshop for weapons and crafting. Inn to rest and reduce fatigue. Infirmary to heal status effects on your character. Command post for more security and gathering other players to coop. Bank to store your excess loot.
>Save points to warp back to using rare hearthing items if you're stranded in the field
>safe towns have almost no sharding, but you must defend it from hordes of monster with other players occasionally. Its random and you have to be on guard.

Attached: Cursed_family.jpg (750x743, 95K)

>Lots of spooks, monsters, and hazards
>Very dark, atmospheric, and quiet, using sound only to add to tension or fear.
>First person perspective with choice between ADS and hip fire aiming, but no reticles
>Basically like Resident Evil 7/re2
>But more fludity of movement since there is greater threats
>A little climbing, shimmying, crawling, prone, jumping, all in FP POV
>Very realistic gun and ammo system
>Keep guns clean or after 100-500 rounds (depending on gun) it will start to jam or break
>If your gun uses magazine or stripper clips you need them in your inventory to use them
>If you are in combat and all magazines are out of bullets, you have to reload each bullet into the magazines yourself first.
>Your proficiency and accuracy with weapons depends on how much you use them
>Mele weapons need to be sharpened and repaired or they eventually break
>Actually good in-dept crafting system to make good shit like higher grain bullets, napalm-molotovs, acid/freeze launcher rounds. Health items, stat boost items, etc
>Basic stat system like health/stam/proficiency (aim/strength/agility/etc) nothing autistic like magic resistance or luck
>If you are hurt you need an appropriate item to treat it
>Broken bones need Cast; Puncutres need trauma kits, Lacerations need to be sutured
>Enemies will be very diverse, ranging from basic headshot-kill zombies, to ghosts that need silver/holy weapons to hurt, to unstoppable chain-saw tanks that you must run and hide from, or unload heavy weapons onto

Attached: cursed_bath.jpg (1011x692, 76K)

Sweet Home is pretty good. That's the oldest I can think of off the top of my head.

Sounds fucking boring.

>If a player dies they can turn their former human character into a monster
>Monsters have lots of variety and you can choose what kind of freak you become and edit their stats
>Monsters respawn and can traverse through different zones and instances to stalk and kill living players.
>Monsters grow stronger the more players they kill, bonus for recruiting more monsters by killing players or their friend's character's
>When you die as a monster and respawn, you are temporarily reduced in strength and it takes time to get back to full strength (longest wait would be 1 hour for highest level monster)
>Killing living players and feasting on them decreases the time dramatically (15 to 30 minutes per kill)
>Endgame turns into a war for survival between the best living players defending their safetowns and the strongest player monsters that just want to kill and grief the living players

>how long would the game be?

It would need LOTS of variet
Huge maps with different themes, just the ones off the top of my head
>Factory/industrial
>Neighborhood
>City and Sewers
>Rural/Innawoods/Skinwalker territory
>Beach/sea port
>Desert
>Small Town
>Foreign hell hole (china/india slums)
>Mountain
>Fields/plains (aka Iowa)
>All kinds of schools, universities
>Labs
>Zoos
>Airports
>Australian Outback (seriously that's a real life hell-scape with the Mambulalya shadow monsters)
>Fucked up hell maps ala Silent Hill

>What about super endgame

Besides surviving, if you finish the main quest line (which is completely kept under wraps and nothing is told to you about it) Your human character gains the ability to respawn after death with all their items/stats/abilities in tact. They just suffer the same time penalty untill they get back to full strength
Then with your Safe-from-Death character you can get riskier, get stronger, try to hunt down the best player-monsters, protect safetowns, or guide survivors.

Would you play this? Thoughts to improve it?

There was a Skyrim mod that had a huge dungeon on the way into some dwaven castle
it was kinda spooky how dark it was with the floating lady watching you

Only way to make a horror game good is tying the gameplay with puzzles and investigative sections, all of this inside a cool setting like an old town, villa, mansion, castle, etc.
That's why everyone love Silent Hill 1-4 and the first RE formula made games and Outlast is pure trash.

That's not even a horror game.
Fuck you.

Fear of the unknown. You can't see the enemy until half of the game

How do fix the horror genre?
>make a game that qualifies there's only two genders, that will scare the hell out of the zoomers.
>make a game that requires you to get a job, that will scare the hell out of the millennials.

>but cannot kill each other

It would be ideal if they could kill each other. Paranoia is a good thing in a horror game.

This is a generic shooter-with-a-twist

It wouldn't because people would just make low level characters to grief others on sight and it would turn into a shitfest like Rust because they have invested nothing in order to fuck another player over.
Now said player could die and turn that character into a monster and level the monster up and learn new skills then go out and kill human players. Like Invaders in Dark Souls. That would cause paranoia because you won't know whether this monster is a regular AI enemy or a player that can adapt to your playstyle

So Rust without base building, without being able to kill pcs, and with a shitty monster mode?
>Basically like Resident Evil 7/re2
What the fuck does that even mean you fucking zoomer kill yourself.

lost in vivo was great

go back to survival horror instead of run & hide

You make good horror games focused on gameplay, soundtrack and design, and not on le shocky gore moment like Outlast.

If indie horrors actually tried being scary and stopped being let's player bait or the FNAF 2.0

Attached: 1557588842286.png (546x560, 374K)

Horror games now are built like a funhouse, when they should be built like an escape room.
Prove me wrong.

>He plays Rust
>He unironically calls other people zoomers

Darkseed

Attached: d3aa974f44946c295443256938c39698.gif (498x564, 127K)

This desu. Chasing trending horror games are just tiring in general.

Enlighten me with your "basically Re7/re2", so that you can defend your list of terrible terrible ideas.

The whole reason to play a horror game is to get scared so yea its going to be like a funhouse
>Built like an escape room
What does this even mean

>Plays RUST
>Calls other people Zoomers

Attached: mk.gif (250x188, 1.56M)

Based ESL retard.

He meant this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_room
Basically Silent Hill/Resident Evil.
>The whole reason to play a horror game is to get scared so yea its going to be like a funhouse
Imagine actually believing that.

>Make an adventure game first
>All the jumpscares and spooky setpieces mean nothing without the atmospherics, characterization and story to back them up

>This will explain e v e r y t h i n g

Thief

Its like im playing RE2 sandbox but in first person like RE7
Now go back to fortnite kiddo

Nice samefagging, now defend your trash.
>Endgame turns into a war for survival between the best living players defending their safetowns and the strongest player monsters that just want to kill and grief the living players
Holy kek

Attached: anon is literally a retard.jpg (1416x164, 26K)

>RE2 sandbox
That's the worst idea i ever heard.
Fucking kill yourself if you seriously think that a MMORPG with some survival parts patched on it can be a horror game.
>muh fortnite
kill yourself

>gear
>loot
>upgrade
are you 12?

But pretty much all horror games are like that unless you are playing really shitty ones like Outlast.

you sound angry
Perhaps you should try to dialate

You don't want a horror game, you want a generic mmorpg.

Isn't that just a series of tiny little features?
>muh realistic gameplay
>muh fluid movements
>muh first person
>if your gun etc.
>if you're wounded etc.
>basic stat system
Let's just add crafting, loot, rpg features and hubs if you wanted generic mmorpg game #5736325463
Have you ever played a horror game?

Attached: 1545103798908s.jpg (176x250, 4K)

>dilate
Now that you outed yourself as a minor, are you gonna grow a pair and actually defend the points in your dream horror game list?

Attached: 67kUltT.jpg (720x1148, 114K)

MALL PLANET

>darkseed
>good
interdimensional whiskey powered.

So we all agree that Amnesia: The Dark Descent ruined horror games right?

>You can create unlimited characters
>an army of chinkbots creates thousands of empty characters on fake accounts
>servers crashed
you dun goofed

No.

Where's the fucking horror.

You fucking zoomers don't even know what a horror is.

Absolutely not. I'd argue Slender the 8 Pages ruined horror games

I almost felt the beginning of a migraine staring at that picture, what the fuck

Attached: 1560127618338.png (500x500, 395K)

>>Horror MMO

Stopped reading there. There's just some hybrid genres that just don't work

Attached: 1559708804614.jpg (851x741, 72K)

You resurrect 'Visceral Games' and have them bought out by Capcom and given and actual budget.

>Monster headache

youtube.com/watch?v=guY4cuELvLw
We need ,more slow creeping horror, the kind that makes your hair stand up on the back of your neck as you hear quiet footsteps grow ever closer, the dread clawing its way through the back of your mind as you look into the darkness of the empty hallway.

Attached: Anti-vampire precaution from 17th Century Poland. The sickle is positioned so that it will decapitat (2200x1650, 342K)

Attached: 121010735837.gif (320x180, 326K)

I suspect you're talking about Clockwork.
Despite having some pretty goofy implementation, the horror is actually pretty effective and among the best in the genre for Skyrim. Probably the first and foremost reason being that it is not sold as a horror mod. Despite the first hour being a horror sequence, that's not what the description is really about.

Attached: Clockwork.jpg (2560x1440, 1.06M)

>That part where you can see her floating body through the Ice following you as you walk on it

Yeah. Goofy as fuck T-pose monster, but also kinda terrifying.

coming to this thread wasn't a good idea at night.

none of this is even spooky, pussy

Attached: yakutsuunoroi.jpg (500x484, 140K)

A huge obstacle of making a good horror game is that the game almost needs to be challenging. You need to be scared of something, and that something is usually death and being set back, losing progress, resources, etc. If there's nothing to lose but maybe a couple minutes time, who cares?
A lot of modern games are so hamstrung by overly generous checkpoints or save systems, obnoxiously linear/guided level design, and whatnot. The kinds of things that make it hard for horror to work, at least in my opinion.

>realistic gun and ammo system
>after 100-500 rounds it will start to jam or break
Fuck off, retard.

corps are spooky user to me

It has to be a good game with clear objectives and story that has horror elements, not the other way around because you end up with hallway or jump scare simulator.

I recently heard about this game and it was more fascinating than I expected

youtube.com/watch?v=s6Mi29yJE44

I think Vigilant Act 3 did horror a lot better, at least as far as Skyrim mods are concerned

I picked it up a while ago and started playing it but didn't know enough JP to get very far, but I really liked the presentation. I've learned a bit since then and should probably give it another go.I'm surprised there aren't more games with JP horror mangaka involvement.

it's alright user, i'll hold you

S-source on that image?

Attached: F7B7A74D-AF71-42F4-B71A-534826DDD6E8.jpg (240x227, 20K)

aside from the art style which is great and actually creepy, Darkseed is objectively garbage

asians make the best horror games,movies idk how but

I haven't done that one yet. saving it for a rainy day. That comment is encouraging though.

Add a time limit that the player has no exact knowledge of, only a general awareness that in a few minutes/seconds they will get their shit rocked by the if they don't hurry up

That does help. Sometimes.

How you fair in the game is based on how you handle the fear the game is supposed to give you.
For example, give the player weapons and let him/her be able to hurt and even kill the "ebil monsterz" realistically, but he/she can also get rekt quickly too. Pretty much one or two vital blows to either you or the monster and it's gg. Also make the deaths brutal, like in first person you hold onto the part of your body that got impaled or cut off and scream while rolling around as you see the monster crawl up to you and there's nothing you can do. Real adrenaline pumping shit.
Put in a few jump scares but no more than like 2 or 3, the rest of the game should be tension and situations like in FEAR where you think something's gonna happen but nothing does.

Final note, no music. Music ruins all suspense and horror atmosphere, the game should have no soundtrack whatsoever.

>Also make the deaths brutal, like in first person you hold onto the part of your body that got impaled or cut off and scream while rolling around as you see the monster crawl up to you and there's nothing you can do
This isn't scary at any point, please don't encourage games to keep doing this shit. Playing the same goddamn canned animations every fucking time completely takes me out of the game.

Name 3 games that do this

By posting more creepy art.

Attached: 1559515263313.jpg (865x1200, 131K)

Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 3

ahahahahha

Horror games need to focus on one type of horror instead of trying to scare everybody. Like underwater horror for instance. People have different fears, so when you try to appeal to them all you get the generic jumpscare nonsense with no real meat to it other than "thing is gonna get you and be loud".

Good but not for a horror game.

youtube.com/watch?v=CN_eL5ukCbw
>reach enlightenment
>get pulled back and lose all memories from it

Formerly Lightchuck

I've been playing Dark Souls 3 and that fucking giant scared the shit out of me the way it reaches around a corner to grab you. Same with the giant snake in Sekiro. So my idea is have a giant demon/creature thing that can squeeze itself through hallways while its long arms can reach through door ways or windows trying to grab you. One of the Silent Hills trailers captures that pretty close.
youtu.be/k12_CbEyS94?t=73
I don't think it would be good as the whole game but would be great for a level or two.

Tension > jumps*ares

I'm glad you're not a game designer.

Attached: 1559374851974.jpg (600x703, 27K)

I was thinking of a rogue-lite first person horror game where you go into the map to loot items. The map is giant and has no real sense to it, can take the form of an old abandoned building to a castle. When you die you lose all but 80% of your loot, and key items will stay where you died, and you need to pick them back up. You can leave the map via your spawning point with your loot, which you can store or take back into the map to help you progress further. There is only one spawn, the only way to make your late game journey easier is a small amount of shortcuts and late game gear. Monsters are few but deadly, but I'm unable to describe them in a way which will be scary to you if you read it. Every time you leave or die and go back into the map things change a bit: walls and doors will rarely move, very rarely new rooms will show up (maybe shortcuts), items will appear, disappear, and move, and corpses will rot or be eaten to show that time has passed. Sometimes your key items for progression will be moved into a harder area when you die.

make charters look human but different

Attached: +.jpg (880x660, 100K)

Attached: geisha with black teeth - Imgur.jpg (800x800, 62K)

sorry for boring wall of text, i don't know if that sounds interesting to anyone or not.

Attached: spook.jpg (600x800, 104K)

the crossed comic turned into a episodic game

Attached: 635866-crossedsketch_01_001.jpg (1280x1457, 1.35M)

these fuckers love to kill, rape, and cause pain

Attached: Crossed33Torture.jpg (1500x2277, 1.2M)

Attached: Crossed96-Wrap1 (1).jpg (2328x1800, 1.45M)

this reminds me of silent hill 3

Attached: Crossed75-Torture.jpg (1164x1800, 659K)

Attached: Crossed - Badlands 057 (2014) (5 Covers) (Digital) (Darkness-Empire) 003.jpg (1988x3075, 1004K)

Attached: Crossed - Badlands 034 (2013) (digital-Empire) 001.jpg (1988x3056, 2.55M)

Attached: Crossed_TPB_0002.jpg (1280x1971, 1024K)

Attached: 1459307667496.jpg (840x700, 368K)

I do agree with some people here, this is not a horror game at all.

Yeah, im tired of hide and seek jumpscare horror games, those arent scary

Attached: 1561045027530.jpg (350x485, 39K)

What a funny little creature.

Viewer beware you're in for a scare

Alone in the dark

>Opening any of the images in this thread could secretly install a screamer virus in your pc without you knowing
>It will lay dormant until one day it generates a screamer on your screen
>there could be a dormant virus inside your computer ready to pop out a screamer at any moment and you cant possibly know

Attached: killmenow.gif (964x912, 1.08M)

By pulling this properly.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingIsScarier

Thank god something like that doesn't exist.

Attached: 1542049661711.png (1507x1547, 4M)

Ultimately just make more games like RE/REmake2/SH. As far as an idea of a horror game, I always thought turning PUBG into a horror game would be nito.

>Make the map atmosphere appropriate (dark, foggy, rainy, etc)
>Objective is to get from one end of the map to the other
>Monsters are faster than you, so traveling by vehicle is almost a necessity (monsters are faster than you running straight, but slow down when making sharp turns), which also means you may have to fight monsters while traveling
>Fuel is always running low, so you have to make frequent stops in small towns and groups of buildings to scavenge for not just fuel, but also other resources (ammo, healing, other weapons, keys to unlock other buildings in the area) all while being hunted by monsters (who either ambush you or pursue you)

It would be a closer game to L4D, but with a slower pace, more emphasis on scavenging and item management, and less shooting and action.