Why does everyone hate this? It clearly had a lot of effort put into making it, it's a very long game...

Why does everyone hate this? It clearly had a lot of effort put into making it, it's a very long game, by far the longest in the series, so there is a real sense of going on a journey and locations are very varied too, while Castlevania games normally take place in and around Dracula's castle Lords of Shadow takes you through villages, forests, swamps, snowy areas, castles, ruins of ancient civilization, music box and many other areas which honestly all look great

Attached: Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow.png (256x315, 165K)

it's the second one that people dislike

I hate it because it's bad.

I bought this used, played it for about 10 minutes and decided to drop it forever

I loved it.
The sequel released a bit too late so I didn’t play it. Heard it was bad though.

Because it has Castlevania in the name, if it wasn't a Castlevania name but some new IP it would be either ignored or liked.

But it isn't. So shut the fuck up.

Everything but the boring railroad gameplay was cool

"Metroidvania" autists don't like action games

I don't hate it, OP. It's my fave Castlevania game after SOTN. As you said, I loved all the detail into the locations and all the monsters they added. Especially how much more demonic they became later on into the game. The gravedigger was cool.

ost was amazing

It's a boring god of war clone with the polish of sonic 06.

Can't read the text style give me headache

I miss these God of War clones.
Dante’s Inferno, Darksiders, Force Unleashed etc. I like all of them

>tfw now it's all Dark Souls clones instead

It's really, really bad.

Darksiders was more of a Zelda clone

I liked it, the story is good and the gameplay is solid, also, that last boss of the DLC fucked me up. Shame about the sequel throwing everything out of the window

Don't care for God of War that much. Granted, as far as GoW clones go, this is probably the best one. I'd rather play it than the actual GoW games.

I played it for a few hours, honestly very mediocre in every regard. Has nothing to do with it being a Castlevania game.

Because it is not in any way a castlevania game

Because it's a bad, clunky piece of shit.
Your whip does barely any damage and the entire combat revolves around not getting hit so you just spend 20 hours dodging attacks while occasionally gently rubbing your noodle of a weapon in the general vicinity of an enemy while even the smallest most pathetic enemies don't even fucking flinch from your hardest, most badass attacks.

It's fucking boring as shit, half the goddamn story is stuck in an even worse, poorly designed DLC, and the platforming makes me want to kill myself.

Attached: milk of the male variety.png (1280x720, 1.03M)

No one cares about your boring old autismo gaymes

Thank fuck. God of war was a bad series and the clones were even worse. When GoW was being released, nobody gave a shit about them.
10 years later suddenly everyone is nostalgic for them. I wonder why?

No one cares about your epic trolling attempts either man

Cringe taste

If only we could keep the kiddies from growing up forever so we don't have to deal with this shit

>Thank fuck.
Except there isn't a single good Dark Souls clone.
At least out of all the GoW clones some decent game came out.

>10 years later suddenly everyone is nostalgic for them. I wonder why?
Nu-God of War is even worse, that's why.

Nice reading comprehension retard.

Even as someone who enjoys this game, I stand by user here that this is probably its biggest problem.

>Except there isn't a single good Dark Souls clone.

Yep

>At least out of all the GoW clones some decent game came out.

Nope

you are supposed to parry not to evade attacks

Not really.
The new God of War at least has more of its own identity rather than being discount DMC with discount Prince of Persia climbing/puzzles. God of War 3 is the only "classic" GoW that had something resembling a decent combat system. Whereas the new GoW already has a solid base, though it could obviously use some refinement and stronger content. If you make a TLOU comparison you'll have confirmed that you haven't played it.

It takes a lot of effort to polish a turd, but is still is a turd in the end. The amount of time put into a project means nothing if it is mediocre in the end.

Attached: 1545256237110.gif (359x202, 3.03M)

Kill yourself, the games are extremely fun and peoplewith taste and testosterone always loved them.

I would've played it, if not for the fucking spiders.

>God of War clone

Guess what came out in 2003, zoomers. Castlevania's entry into 3D combat predates God of War and was also a Sony exclusive.

Attached: Castlevania_-_Lament_of_Innocence_-_(NA)_-_02[1].jpg (800x1158, 295K)

they were poor as fuck action games
ninja gaiden was better
you little ps2 zoomers could have played DMC3 instead of God of Trash
No excuse

Meaning people with no brains and are too afraid of playing something better because it would probably be japanese?

>weebs
Figures

Good thing we aren't talking about that game, rather Lord of Shadow that came out in 2011 and clearly ripped off God of War.

And that game felt like castlevania unlike lord of shadows which was castlevania in name only. A shameless cash grab. I dropped it at the frozen colossus and never looked back

IGAfags still seething

"new identity" by playing like almost every popular game released in the last five years; you got shit from Dark Souls, Doom 2016, every open world style game, and it's another "dad" game after that trend came and went. GoW was always derivative, but at least the older games usually cut to the chase faster than the new one.

Not really, considering Bloodstained just came out.

I like that it kind of has a "let's combine all of Castlevania lore into one game" thing going on, with Cornell, Camilla, etc. Also, I enjoyed the cheesiness of the villain turning out to be Satan.

Also, it does a really good job of making the castle seem really fucking huge. I love that shot where you first see it in the distance and it's just this massive structure that looks like it goes on forever.

Sequel really dropped the ball.

>combat revolves around not being shit at the game
Oh no

There was a lot to not like bout it honestly. The story kind of doesn't make much sense if you really think about it. The gameplay is ridiculously easy and requires you to abuse the magic system to use any combos. Making an easy game even easier.

But ultimately, what people really disliked about the game was it wasn't really a castlevania game. It was a God of War styled knock off that just referenced names of characters and completely ignored everything else.

There was of course also the fact that it killed the rest of the series and left it without the game people really were wanting.

It had nothing that I enjoy in a Castlevania game, it was just a God of War clone with Castlevania label slapped on it, because that piece of shit Kojima was trying to be like Inafune

Proving me right. You're too much of a pussy to get past an art style because you're an embarrassed faggot raised by the people who bullied you for expressing any interest in anime so you avidly avoid anything that comes from japan, even as the west proves repeatedly they can't make good games anymore.

Actually, combat revolved around you abusing the magic system. If you're not shit at the game, you can literally dodge out of your attacks and never get hit, but you'll be stuck doing like 2 - 3 hit combos at most. If you want anything longer, you need to turn on magic to even enable hitstun.

Agreed. God of War was such a boring action game to rip off. Nealr every attack is a 'spin attack' so movement and positioning matter very little, and fights are just a slog through you DPSing the enemies to death with the same combo.

>BAWWW IT WASN'T ANOTHER CASTLEVANIA GAME AFTER HAVING LIKE 30 OF THEM ALREADY
pathetic, just like megaman fans whining about no other megaman after having 100 games in their franchise

because it's not "castlevania", it's a rebrand
castlevania had 3d games before this, and except for the n64, they were pretty good

this wasn't an example of what made things like those good

>get bullied for not wanting to play weeb shit
LMAO just how fucking delusional are you? Grow up

It's not really bad, moreso disappointing by a huge margin
The only thing it did right was the combat and visuals to some degree, everything else was a huge downgrade
it still had some good points to it but it got meddled by so much dumb bullshit from the retarded director that it feels incredibly half-baked

Brand loyalty. There isn't a single good 3D castlevania.

Is it really that hard to understand how fans are gonna react when they suddenly have the rug pulled out from under them and are told "This is now what Castlevania is. Deal with it."?

I remember Yea Forums at the time going "oh but this is just a one-shot thing. It doesn't mean anything for your precious metroidvanias". Didn't really work out that way, did it?

Attached: 57338085_p0.png (600x800, 620K)

>When GoW was being released, nobody gave a shit about them.
I didn't care for them, but I'm not going to pretend it wasn't an iconic PS2 series.

well technically there's no good third person action game in the first place
the ps2 castlevanias were on par with all the other third person action games

>LMAO just how fucking delusional are you? Grow up
First you misinterpret what I wrote, when in fact I was calling you out for being a little baby easily embarrassed by an art style, then you tell me to grow up?

Git gud

good riddance
redditvania is a genre for indie devs

>well technically there's no good third person action game in the first place

The absolute state of 3D Castelvaniafags

>um um well all games are shit so its fine that Lament of Innocence has about five rooms that were properly designed and the rest is copypaste nonsense propped up by shallow combat

>you are a baby for not liking anime and other manchildren garbage
You are not making any sense retard

I really enjoyed Lords of Shadow.

Its DLC and sequel are rushed bullshit, though.

You literally just called me a weeb and now you're telling me I'm the one not making sense because I rightly called you out in your faggot attitude.
You have no self-awareness whatsoever.

People hate what it represents more than the game itself.

Yeah you are a cringy weeb and you state that I am a baby because I don’t like weebshit lol

I'm guessing you didn't read what was posted and just are memespouting.

lookie lookie who i found

Attached: hideokojima11226.png (1151x606, 932K)

I enjoyed it but I've never played a proper Castlevania game.

Cope

cool job proving me wrong
i see the genre in a whole new light, o' enlightening one

now bless me by your fedora, gentleman of taste

Two had its moments.
>Victor uses your moveset from the first game
>Can parry your attacks
>You can parry his counter attacks

Attached: 1183.jpg (735x460, 111K)

Not that guy, but Castlevania's 3D titles are pretty notorious for being subpar. Which was mostly due to the team not being given anywhere near a budget and were expected to make a full fledged game still.

Copy pasted rooms and long stretches of empty hallway were pretty much the norm. That said, they weren't unplayable and could be enjoyable with the right mindset, but they were nowhere near good.

This all being said by someone who owns and enjoyed all of em. The one saving grace they had was mostly the music, which is always amazing in a Castlevania game. Well.. Cept for the LoS ones anyhow.

>cool job proving me wrong

"The entire genre is shit so this game in the genre is actually good" isn't a coherent point to rebut in the first place. I'm simply mocking you

progression and all seemed fine in it, not sure what the fuss was

hey if you like mashes, go like your mashers then
i'm not gonna judge, they were cloned because there's tons of people that love not having to think about what they're playing and just smash that attack button

What are you talking about? Storywise and MCwise, is the fucking best. Gameplay is quite fun on hard.

It was a hybrid. Zelda exploration and GoW combat

What was so bad about the sequel? Why does everyone hate it?

yes, that's why metroidavanias are popular

I mean the TLoU comparison is pretty obvious; though they both go in different directions with their story, it does feel like the GoW directors saw the TLoU dynamic and said "Let's do that".

Its boring desu.

>God of War was absolute shi-

Attached: God of War 3 Combo.webm (800x450, 2.93M)

>not sure what the fuss was

I just specified what the fuss was? The games were extremely empty and bland to look at. They also were fairly padded, with long empty hallways just done to make the run time longer.

Combat was also pretty subpar for the genre at the time as well. Especially when you consider stuff like DMC and God of War.

As I said before, I liked the games, but they were heavily flawed and you could tell they didn't have the budget to do what they wanted.

Everybody pretty much knew the Metroidvania genre was going to be buried at that point anyway due to them letting Iga go after sticking him on Judgment which was doomed to fail from the beginning.

Oh wow I didn't know that's how you play GoW3 in higher difficulties.
I hate it. I hate the Platinum Games inspiration.

>DMC punching bags but without the incentive to actually put some variety into what you're doing
Here's your t.

I feel like GoW3 is underrated. Storywise it's nothing to write home about, sure, but it was a technical marvel at the time it came out. It's one of the best looking PS3 games, and it runs without a hitch.

And it's one of the few games that really did scale with giant characters really well. There were moment's that were honestly breath taking.
And the combat was fine, it might not be as good as platinum's best, but what is? It wasn't about being stylish and technical anyway, it was always about brutality.

it's a decent game, but there's no reason to make it a castlevania game.
I liked it for what it was.

>but what is
God Hand, Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC 3-5, Dark Messiah.

Dark Messiah isn't really the same genre (though it is great). I didn't specify that in my post, but I meant within the beat em up genre specifically. Personally I never cared for God Hand, but I'll concede the other games.

Because it needlessly rebooted a long running series. If it was just another installment, it would probably be looked at the same way the other 3D games are. But this one has the added baggage of deleting everything that happened before, and for doing retarded shit like making the main character into Dracula.

>hate the Platinum Games inspiration.
What? How is that inspired by Platinum?

>Dark Messiah.
Good joke. Dark Messiah is not even similar to those and it's filled with flaws. Most of the builds and skills are useless or work like a half baked version of the game genre they take inspiration from. Melee combat feels like shit and blocking/hit animation feedback is garbage, You can do some crazy stuff with some of your powers but only when the level design allows you to and even when it does there's the chance that you picked a built that won't let you have fun in the current arena. It's one of those games with great ideas but lackluster execution people love to dickride just because they're not mainstream.

Git gud.

Attached: Dark Messiah Kicking.webm (960x540, 2.89M)

This is like showing one of those stealthbr videos about ubishit games and saying that it's good because of it. This is footage of a player who already memorized and retried this a million times before recording it instead of how the game works naturally.

>because that piece of shit Kojima was trying to be like Inafune
literally all Kojima did was go "just have a different protagonist"
but sure muh kojimbo boogeyman

It's terrible user.

Yes, they spent a lot on it, but it's an overproduced piece of shit.

>play for 2 minutes
>Boring cutscene
>play for 2 minutes
>Boring cutscene

It had production values, but it still fails as a game.

Wrong thread, dammit

>>play for 2 minutes
>>Boring cutscene
>>play for 2 minutes
>>Boring cutscene
You're thinking of Metal Gear.

Or every game inspired by it aka cinematic games, which includes LoS.

Nope, gave Castlevania LoS 3 chances. It was awful every single time.

We're never getting a new Castlevania are we?

Attached: 094902.jpg (1920x1080, 227K)

I at least appreciated Gabriel for actually being a hardcore christian warrior instead of throwing out crosses because people in Konami thought it was cool. Too bad they ruined even that.

The ps2 games were DMC clones, everyone knows this

>No Dracula

Attached: scarsofdraculasad.jpg (1280x800, 44K)

*terrible DMC clones

The plot is shit desu.
The fact that the 1/4 that lead to the ending was dlc doesn't help its case.

But user, is okay when japan do it

because IGAvania was canned in favour of this

and reminder that it was everyone's precious Kojima that made the decision to cancel IGAvanias

so true

Igavania was canned for selling like shit.

the game has three Draculas. Orlok Dracule, Gebel, & Iga himself

>and reminder that it was everyone's precious Kojima that made the decision to cancel IGAvanias
No he didn't. Konami looked at both projects and Lords of Shadows looked much better so they went with that. Besides, would anyone trust a Japanese dev would make an actual good Igavania game in the early ps360 days? It'll be as shit as LoI and CoD

Igavania is still better than bad third person action games. Good third person action games are fine, but Castlevania never had one.

Better? Sure. But that user is talking about sales numbers, not quality.

Fair point. As a fan of Castlevania, however, that doesn't really work for me.

Coincidentally(or not) Konami doesn't make video games anymore, so I guess I don't have to worry about it.

i love reading shit like this because you know if that happened contrarian little dicksuckers like you would be posting shit like "WHY ISNT THIS A CASTLEVANIA GAME?" "WHY WONT KONAMI CALL IT CASTLEVANIA?!"

fuck off fag

suck me off

The second is alright, but have two things that make it worse than the first:

>map design WAY too linear
>forced stealth segments
I had some areas that were great, and others that were so bad it makes you wish to drop the game. Overall, it's kind of a mess but still enjoyable.

God damn, these games are painful to play. Imagine doing everything right in a game, but then make the map size SO HUGE AND EMPTY that whenever you try to remember something from the game, the only thing that comes up is holding the stick forward for minutes on end.

The game can't be played like that on higher difficulties, first because the enemies have better superarmor, and second because there are tons of then on the screen atacking you in the most rabid way possible. GoW in high difficulties you can hardly hit an enemy more than 4 times before the need to drop the combo in order to evade the atacks of others. You also don't have enough mobility to evade others atacks but still continue the combo, like DMC, your movement options are too limited.

Attached: 171111036375.gif (380x720, 1.96M)

none of his badass shit has any impact because there is never any real threat from these goons

yikes

Based.

If Bloodstained is commercially successful, hopefully it convinces Konami to pull their heads out their asses and make a SOTN remake for Ps5. There's still a market for this style of gaming and it would give the franchise new life.

I have the impression Konami knows they are tainted in the gaming market, specially the west, and because of it future projects would get a lot of flask. So, I doubt they will be doing heavy investment vydia in the near future, just collections and small japan focused projects.

Attached: Honk me up inside.jpg (600x374, 50K)

its like a 6/10 gameplay-wise
nice presentation though

best castlevania

Yea Forums just hates change

This.

Konami's big announcement at E3 was a fucking region specific mini-console. Even the interviewer was struggling to take them seriously. It was a disaster.

Konami is dead.

>make a SOTN remake

Attached: 1509551930994.jpg (645x729, 26K)

Think they'll sell the franchise then?

Awkward pacing, it was clearly never originally a castlevania game that shit just got shoehorned onto it later, a strained narrative, patrick fucking stewart fucking phoning it in like a fucking bitch - SERIOUSLY STOP GIVING HIM SPEAKING ROLES IN VIDYA HOW THE FUCK DID THEY NOT LEARN THIS LESSON FROM OBLIVION - and as is mentioned in the threat the characters attacks lack a sense of heft or impact.

Lords of Shadow is a competent action game however, 7/10 easily, plus you get to punch the shit out of the fucking devil and any game that lets you punch the fucking devil is pretty good.

Lords of Shadow 2 however is fucking disappointing in every possible way and just playing it infuriated me

>big company
>selling franchise
No. At BEST they might farm it out to other developers, but Konami is mostly interested in pursuing legalized gambling, it's pachinko games, and phone games. If it doesn't have a solid, short term return they aren't interested.

Around the same time Nintendo sells Mario.

so just like DMC

user is wrong, the goons are a threat on higher difficulties. That's exactly the reason to why you can't do that shit on higher difficulties, they will stop you from doing it, and unlike DMC, your movement and defense/evade options aren't good enough for you to evade the attacks and still go back to the combo.

I liked it. It was an alright at best game, but I liked it.
The final boss encounter is one of the silliest fucking tone shifts I've seen

When it first previewed in the mid 00s it actually wasn't a CV game and everyone was suspicious as fuck, and then it sort of disappeared for a year or two.

It's good and is the best 3D Castlevania. The sequels were horrible though.

Kojima was this game's producer

>the best 3D Castlevania.
That's not a high bar to surpass.

LoI was passable and CoD was decent. But yeah none of them were great.

Hey fuck you, Stewart actually gives a shit about his game roles. It's not his fault Bethesda gave him fucking nothing to work with before killing him. When he got the role he actually requested copies of Arena and Daggerfall so he could get some backstory and context for Septim

How were the ones on 3DS?

I loved it. Got all the achievements, too.

>Dracula is a Belmont
>Alucard is Trevor

Attached: stop-stop.gif (351x263, 1005K)

Literally not even the same guy.

given that both Castlevania collections were apparently big sellers plus that mobile game coming to the US soon maybe Konami will give us a new game like how they're giving us that new Contra

The thing that baffles me is that people always say 1 is decent while treating 2 like the plague when 2 actually has far better gameplay than 1. It's really the shitty modern day and stealth sections that drag it down along with the shitty final boss, if you fixed those it would be one of the best 3D Castlevanias.

it's a pretty good game
it has some of the best but also weirdest pacing I've ever seen
every single level introduces something new: a gameplay mechanic, weapon, enemy or some other novel stuff
and it's a long ass game
even in the later levels they still come up with new things
they're a bit overdoing the variety though, just look at the first world:
>1 level: combat tutorial with normal boss fight
>2. level: auto scrolling horse riding stage (this is never repeated in the game once)
>3. level: a normal level that is respective of most of the game, still has a gimmick though were you have to traverse a swamp
>4. a puzzle stage without any combat
>5. a shadow of the colossus style boss fight
the second lords of shadow was pretty shit though

>and except for the n64, they were pretty good
Legacy of Darkness is better than Lament.

I don't. We need more Hispanic representation... and we're getting it!

>it kinda tries to be a metroidvania but it's super linear, most people probably only recognized it's a (badly) interconnected world if you run around end- or postgame to find everything
>really bad pacing: you have to kill satan's lieutenants or whatever, but you spend the first 2/3 of the game to kill the first one, then the second and third one come in quick succession, then directly after that the final boss
>the world is incredibly bland and ugly, it looks worse than the first one, the concept art for the modern castlevania city looks absolutely amazing (sadly can't really find any of it online) but ingame it's just a grey and black mess mostly taking place in small alleys and warehouses
>although it has three times the amount of weapons as the first one, combat has somehow less options and complexity
>incredibly small enemy variety, for the most part you fight the same handful of boring looking mutants throughout the whole game
>people also complain about tacked on stealth sections and while they were not great, there's just a couple of them, they are easy and over in 2 minutes

>although it has three times the amount of weapons as the first one, combat has somehow less options and complexity
Objectively wrong. Combat was the one thing they improved over the first.

you have the sword and the claws but you could activate light and dark magic in the first one which would also completely change your moveset for your one weapon
pretty sure they also got rid of most of the gadgets you could use in 1

>which would also completely change your moveset for your one weapon
They had like one exclusive move each, magic only added on-hit effects in the first game: heal for white and extra damage for black. It's 2 that has completely different movesets for each type, and they also modify your subweapon.

Not even a nibble.

Attached: bait-nani.gif (625x626, 1.16M)

>people will soon miss Souls clones

I don't understand why people hate it either. It was one of my favourite games to have ever played. Used to play it nonstop on the 360
The vampire lands levels were top kino. The plot twist and story were great. The game length was dick-hardening, I loved it. I still haven't played the DLC fully to this day though, unfortunately. Nor have I played the 2nd game (which looks like a massacre of the first). I think I should reinstall it and give it another playthrough on steam.

Oh, and the graphics were also crazy good for their time. They aged really well (alot of games aged pretty well from that gen).

Attached: 671180-castlevania-lords-of-shadow-ultimate-edition-windows-screenshot.jpg (1920x1080, 346K)

Attached: blog-5-2.jpg (445x531, 51K)

PS 3 games don't really look that different from PS 4 games

>Castlevania's entry into 3D combat predates God of War and was also a Sony exclusive.

acktually

Attached: Castlevania_(N64)_-_(NA)_-_01.jpg (640x440, 69K)

two words; mercury steam
they are without a doubt the shittiest developer to ever exist