Neverwinter nights 1

Can we have a thread about this game? It's probably the only game I can think of where each subsequent content release is better than the last
>original campaign is dogshit
>first expansion is breddy good
>second expansion is god tier
Are there any custom modules that rival hordes of the underdark in terms of quality? I know that multiplayer is largely dead.
>mfw played a wizard/palemaster and had to reflect the last boss' damage back at himself while spamming healing potions because no spells would hurt him

Attached: nwn1.jpg (639x361, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/uuTxwrsY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>multiplayer is largely dead.
what the fuck are you talking about?

The only module that's really great is A dance with rogues, it's some good stuff
People here often mention the Aielund saga as a great module, I haven't gotten far yet but it's from 1-40 so pretty huge

I wish the custom combat animations mod worked with it though, they're so fucking fancy and it just feels stale without

Attached: 1514795467388.jpg (371x532, 27K)

beamdog

I wish NWN2 wasn't forcing the KOTOR style of dialogue where we need close cuts on faces, and poor cutscenes. Just reading/listening was enough in NWN1. Also you weren't blinded every time you had to look at your character who had 10 shining buff effects on them like in Mast of the Betrayer

man i used to play this game from age 13 all the way to 17

I'm playing through NWN2 and I'm hating it, everything from graphics, gameplay, "Roleplaying" and writing is abysmally bad, but that's the OG campaign and I have other three modules to go through, does it get better once I finish the main campaign or is it more of the same?

Mask of the betrayer is GOAT.
What part of the OC are you in?
Did you unlock the blacklake district yet?

I think the OG campaign of NWN2 was even worse than NWN1.
Like half the companions are introduced, then become irrelevant almost immediately. The camera is also more fucked up, trying to be cinematic.

Mask of the Betrayer was okay roleplay-wise, but the companions are mostly casters, so the entire battlefield will be one huge lightshow where you'll be spamming aoe spells, hoping the enemy dies before you do.
Never could go with Storm of Zehir further than the intro mission.

I thought the OG campaign was pretty alright, at least I liked the parts with Shandra since she's probably the only good character next to the tiefling qt
MotB is a big step apparently, some cool stuff like aasimars and hag spawn and devouring souls n shiet, I never completely finished it though so I won't bother judging it, had some real funky stuff from what I played, definitely cool
The rest I haven't touched at all

Attached: 1514681868700.png (604x484, 443K)

>What part of the OC are you in?
I'm in the ruins of the ancient city of whatever the name was, killing the Baelnorns to get access to the tree so the Zerth girl can give me her blessings and whatever.
Really though, this game is terrible, completely linear, with horrible characters, many of which are shoved down your throat, garbage writing all around, no roleplaying to speak of AND it's also linear as fuck, it's not a roleplaying game, it's a fucking errand boy simulator and it's fucking maddening.
Also the game is a bug ridden mess, with my party teleporting randomly out of the blue, doors that disappear and pixel hunts but in 3D, I don't really know, I also restarted it once because I wasn't satisfied with my character progression and while I tried to play a bit differently nothing changed, outside of siding with the thieves this time which game me the same exact errads to run but with different cosplaying mooks.

Attached: 1559212873101.jpg (450x307, 14K)

Tell me how it's alive, user.

what do you do in the multiplayer in NWN? is it all RP shit?

>I liked the parts with Shandra since she's probably the only good character next to the tiefling qt
I just find how the characters are handled weird
>Introduce Neeshka
>Have a little conversation, one quest, she is implyied to be important then nothing for 3 acts
>Introduce Khelgaar
>Have a little conversation have his loyalty quest, he has a thing in act 4 then nothing ever
>Have Quara ditched on me
>Don't want the crazy bitch, but she is a must-have
>Nothing happens with here ever aside from occasional bitching
>Introduce Casavir
>he joins almost silently never saying anything
>have Bishop slapped on me
>would never want to have anything with him, but he is a must-have

I agree. I chewed myself trough it once, never again. Mask of the Betrayer starts off after it, but since it has no idea what you did back in the other campaign, it disregards all your choices.

It's the retard writers who couldn't create proper romances so they just decided to fuck any and all character development and left everyone standing in the rain
>either do romances right or dont do them at all
And then they half ass one and just completely remove the other

>Mask of the Betrayer starts off after it, but since it has no idea what you did back in the other campaign, it disregards all your choices.
What choices are there to disregard?
Really, are there honestly any choices you can have in this game outside of not doing a quest?
I tried to choose different answers for a lot of quests and all end up in the same way no matter what I choose outside of getting points in aligments which do not matter or gaining or losing influence with a party member, which does nothing either, not to mention how there's the usual murderhobo problem too and the best choice is to always kill everyone.
The only thing which actually changed in my restart was siding with the Axle instead of the Watch and again, I got the same exact missions with a different set of enemies sometimes.
I'm also thinking of restarting yet again because I'm still not satisfied with my wizard due to the sheer amount of completely fucking useless spells in this shitty game, seems like if I want to play as a spellcaster I have to get all the useful support spells and pump fireballs like all the other shitty RTwP games, I honestly don't understand how this game is considered good in any way, shape or form.

It's considered "good" because its got a lengthy campaign, plenty of shallow dialogue options, tons of autism BUILD sim potential and a lot of nostalgia/brand recognition
I for one like it because it allows for the dual wield monkey grip, and dual wielding two handers is fucking wack shit that I would love to do in every game
I know of maybe 3-4 that do it somewhat meaningfully and it's sad

>Really, are there honestly any choices you can have in this game outside of not doing a quest?
Fair point. That just cements further how the original campaign is crap.

Also the spells are lot more useful in tabletop because there are a wider array of situations. And you can convince the GM that summoning and sending a dire boar trough the guardpost WILL distract them.

>EE
nah

>tons of autism BUILD sim potential
I wish, Spellcasters are fucked due to most spells being unusable trash for no reason, so whether you play Cleric, Druid or Wizard matters little since most of your spells are worthless and you'll end up using the same handful of spells and maybe a bunch of tier 3 spells maximized, sometimes.
Most of the feats are also completely fucking useless, some of which have been changed compared to tabletop while certain classes were gutted looking at their bio, like Arcane Trickster.
This is without going into details on how the game actually plays, with completely fucked up aggro mechanics, abysmal encounter design (30 soldiers specced for tanking in a single mansion floor full of corridors? Really Obsidian?)
Then if you want fighter classes they're all the fucking same, outside of this class getting some extra completely useless fluff like Smite Evil and giving you zero reason to not just spec on evasion since you're always zerg rushed wherever you go and a single displaced Swashbuckler will perform better than whatever your shitty dwarf and Casavir will ever manage to do together, or Bishop doing chip damage with +2 Arrows and missing half the time.
>the spells are lot more useful in tabletop
Oh I know, I've already experience trash like Baldur's Gate, I just didn't expect for nearly all of them to be completely fucking worthless.

You might be right, I have no knowledge deeper than what little I gained from my single playthrough with a generic fighter guy so I can't really disprove anything you say here
Though there were tons of build guides that at the very least seemed quite different from each other

Neverwinter Nights is a great platform for making your own content. The OC wasn't so great, but had its moments. SoU was a lot of fun. HotU ties it all together. Darkness Over Daggerford is hands down one of the best 3.5 D&D experiences you can have.

I know NWN2 OC gets lots of bad press, but NWN2's actual issues at launch were mostly technical. The OC itself is actually a decent adventure, not special, but massive leaps and bounds above NWN1's OC. Obviously MotB gets all sorts of over the top praise, somewhat deserved but I maintain that SoZ is the best NWN2 experience. SoZ was a great and fun adventure where you can insert and RP multiple characters of your own creation, pushing dialogues forward with their unique abilities, skills and stats.

Attached: skrm.png (1680x1050, 1.63M)

I think that's another thing I hated in NWN2. With the cutsene-style dialogue, custom content was brought down, because it was just bizzare without any voice.

It might just be that the main campaign is this shitty, but I'm not really a fan of Obsidian's stuff and just decided to play this game because I had it in my backlog since a literal decade, I'll probably restart yet again and at least try out MoTB once I'm done with this crappy OC, but given the main mechanics, it doesn't really look bright.
>Though there were tons of build guides that at the very least seemed quite different from each other
Outside of watching different animations you're doing the same exact thing with melee classes, mages are different due to the aforementioned reasons.

Honestly, if this game were at least turn based it might not be this horrid to play at the very least, but they just had to make it RTwP, a combat design that goes against all possible mechanical logic, and with a D&D mechanics on top of it all.

nwn didnt get the BEAMDOG treatment like BG did

Swordflight is some good shit, even if it's a bit unbalanced

>Outside of watching different animations you're doing the same exact thing with melee classes, mages are different due to the aforementioned reasons.
the issue with NWN1/2 and games like it based on early DnD versions is that while there is a ton of potential build autism, there are only actually 3 playstyles
>melee guy which is just buff then take your hands off the keyboard as you auto cleave everything
>archer which is doing the same as above except from a distance
>caster where you suffer through playing as a shitty archer until tier 7-9 spells where you become a god that just spams time stop and missile swarm at everything

Have you tried Sands of Fate?

The problem isn't really D&D or 3.5E as much as I dislike it, it's just that the game is crap and the encounter design is worse.
ToEE is much better to actually play, I can actually have fun sending my dwarf barbarian to cleave a bunch of assholes, but RTwP is such a garbage system that it all boils down to set up your party AI, buff before an ecounter, afk and then rest and repeat.

And you know, I *might* deal with it since I like playing as a mage and eventually nuke everything but when the game looks horribly, is written worse and also has no actual roleplay to speak of, it's real hard justifying this bullshit, I've played PSP games that were more competently made than this pile of trash.

ToEE is pretty good, I wish they made a sequel.
I don't like the modern RPGs, too flashy.

Tyranny was nice, just so unoptimized.

RTwP is definitely a system that shines in the mid-level tier of gameplay where you're actually forced to use items and use support spells in order to succeed; the balance in both the early game and the late game is often horribly skewed or downright boring. i couldnt imagine going through a NWN campaign module again without playing some kind of spell caster. the game LITERALLY plays itself otherwise

>the absolute state of NWN EE development
pastebin.com/uuTxwrsY

>giving a shit about the impact this had on an RP server

It still has players but less than a couple of years ago.

>severely impacts all servers including RP, ERP, and action
Fixed that for you.

>ripping babies out of wounds
Excuse me?

>Higher Ground
>Amia
>Avlis
>Sinfar
>Aventia
>Neversuimmer
>Three Towns
>Kissmet
All got ghosted by the devs but at least you have Arelith and Ravenloft and a lot of empty servers.

I think that refers to some of the old memetastic PG-13 RP on Arelith.

3.5 is probably the best and most successful CRPG system in modern history. People bitch and complain but it's really a decent system and popular with developers and fans alike.

It is, though it is crappy at early levels (like all of DnD) and falls apart a lot more on late levels than 5e
Still, it was my first love and holds a special place in my heart.

Beamdog poster, where are you? I miss your pasta.

Has Beamdog ever not ruined something?

It's pretty decent if you're fighting sub 1 CR encounters with a party of 4 characters. It should easily take you up to about level 5 because the early level experience doesn't degrade. That's only if you actually follow the recommendations, but if you take NWN as an example it doesn't follow recommendations in the slightest.

Most of the time high level play falls apart is with decisions that require DM fiat to allow something. Many theorycrafted world enders don't work without a DM explicitly going along with rule bending/breaking.

5e is more mechanically limited in mid and late game because you quickly hit the cap on stuff and then people use synergies to surpass the gap. So everything is a cakewalk for a good group. It's not hard to break 5e but people play it differently and it's much more simple. A 5e CRPG might as well just be autoattacking.

Another thing that makes 3.5 great is that anyone can use it and it's easy to mod. You can get any of the indie games made recently or Pathfinder. Even Pillars is basically a not-3.5 clone.

Yeah Pathfinder essentially took the approach of "if not broken don't fix it, except the parts that are"

In some ways in others they just simplified things to emphasize the combat above all else. The Pathfinder video game was actually broken in some ways because of mistakes in their implementation with how effects stack and combo. Not sure if they fixed it.

I say it's a good CRPG system because it's hell to run at a table with half drunk players and needing to check all the rule details in real time.

Game is fun but I'm upset that barbarian barely gets any bonus feats. Why the fuck is fighter the only class that gets a shitload of bonus feats

Fighter gets combat bonus feats because it's their thing. Barbarian gets other unique class features and better hp, they're improved in the 3.5 overhaul. Probably the most significant change from 3.0 to 3.5.

>Why the fuck is fighter the only class that gets a shitload of bonus feats
Because that's their only gimmick.
Just like Rogues get a shitload of skill points to make up for being little bitches.

Because it's useless outside of that it gets bonus feats. That's the entire point of it. You use to to get the prereqs for advances classes faster.