Why did the PS2 fail to sell?

Why did the PS2 fail to sell?

Attached: ps2_boxes.jpg (1152x778, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/6/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It had no games.

fpbp

Sony made the mistake in investing in boring western games like Sly Cooper, Jak, God of War, Ratchet and Clank. People wanted Zelda and Mario. That's why the Gamecube won.

Shit was expensive with the dvd player.

It was fucking trash It can only play games and DVDs in 480p. Meanwhile my xbox one x does 4K. PlayStation is garbage

>Ratchet and Clank
nigga u gay

It had too many sports games. Nobody wants to buy a video game to play sports lol.

Attached: 1557568862885.jpg (5748x6740, 3.9M)

nobody has time to play all this shit

It had the weakest hardware and nobody wanted anything to do with its shitty exclusives. Just look at God Hand and Okami for example. One got a 3/10 on IGN(LOL) and Okami flopped so hard it killed the studio. It also birthed movie games with garbage like shadow of the colossus.

because video games are made for childs and teens

>best selling console of all time
>failed to sell
what

Attached: 1551316508882.png (800x800, 84K)

Are you guys excited for the Dreamc4st next e3?

>fail to sell
>sold 5 time more what other home system sold at the time

Oversaturation. That's why the PS2 flopped. Look at some of these games... "Killer 7"? I've never even heard of the first six Killer games. Where's Pikmin? Where's Halo?

I think it was because of people like
>oh man it's the best selling console of all time so I don't have to buy it
>Doesn't sell
>wtf it was the best selling console of all time why did it fail to sell?
>waaaaahhh!

It's genuinely amazing how bad the PS2 hardware is compared to the first xbox (the xbox one). What were they thinking?

it's the best selling console of all time, nigga u tarded lmao

Attached: lewis_kummissaan.png (852x874, 163K)

Figured they could undercut the consumer when going against Microsoft. Thankfully Microsoft came in and kicked their ass with the Xbox. Thing sold like crazy.

>I want to go back

Attached: 1528769734369.gif (500x364, 367K)

How the fuck did it fail to sell you utter melt?

Back in 2001 I was thinking of getting a PlayStation 2, but they were just too big. Not as big as the Xbox mind you, but not the size for me. And then a few years later I see the PS2 Slim, and that thing is just a twig! Far too slender for my tastes. So I never ended up getting one.

You know what console was the perfect size? Nintendo Wii. And that thing sold great.

Attached: 1555780758554.gif (256x192, 344K)

Are you retarded?

So how many of these people ITT are playing along with the joke and how many are zoomer Nintendbabbies that actually don't remember when Sony was good?

see

Is there one for PS1 games?

You have to stop crying and get over it, man. Don't lash out at me. We don't even know each other.

kek nice bait there partner. killer 4 was best jumped the shark with 5

>PS2 failed to sell

>PS2 had no games

Did I stumble into the Bizarro dimension?

If PS2 is so great why didn't it sell 200 million though, huh?

>those big boxes for pc games
I want to go back

I don't think so

>scaler
>I-ninja
o shit I forgot about those, replace the metal slug collection with metal slug anthology that one was way better

Killer 4... yeah the co-op was cool, but I had to buy a multi-tap or something to play that with all four killers on PS2 since it only had two controller ports! fail

Attached: download (6).jpg (259x194, 11K)

And the retarded naming convention didn't help. To go from the PSX to the PS2? It should have been the PSY.

Either give each console a new name like Nintendo or pick a sensible progression like Microsoft.

top tier thread OP, tweak the format a bit and we're gold

The zoomers are the ones seething and calling everyone else retarded while not getting the joke. Probably snoyggers. Nintenchads are Yea Forumseterans and get all jokes.

Exactly: "PlayStation 2"-- what if you're at the store and the 2 is covered up? It's one small little number. They should've rebranded with like "PlayCube" or "Super PlayStation".

The same reason why the ds didn't sell

ps2 was peak soulless

nice thread normal faggots

Attached: 1473264044936.gif (500x390, 1.92M)

>TWO
>SCREENS
What were they thinking

>Xbox will never again have the cool console that plays online and has a hard drive

>PS2 will never be the family movie player that also played 10/10 action adventure games

>Nintendo are still the Smash/Mario kart/Pokemon guys

>100 mil sold
>compared to over a billion PCs
>discontinued after only13 years
Yea total flop

Fuck. Should we make use of this shitty thread and make one?

Nintendo players.

I got it for xmas 2000

first movie I watched was ff the spirits within

got ssx and ffx for xmas as well

my life has peaked now I just drink smoke pot and jerk off to bangin trannys all day

The x1 isn't that far off actually. It can't even do past 900p most games.

Fail to sell? Bro it's still selling

what is the format exactly? meanwhile in alternate reality Yea Forums...
or, meanwhile in 2002 Yea Forums...

Difference in ideology for supply and demand.
Rather than try to create scarcity with the consoles or only produce for an expected number of sales to wait and see like MS/nintendo did for gen 6, sony just mass produced. They shit out tons and tons of ps2s and stores marketed them as dvd players if they weren't selling in the game section.

>no other console will ever have a quality library like the PS2 ever again

what does it matter? nothing before meant anything sony is king now and will be forever

Imagine having the balls not to attend THE biggest gaming convetion in the whole year because you know that your competition has nothing on you and you know that your product will still sell more

Attached: 45ed8a184690b04350122856380820a2.jpg (236x238, 11K)

The ps2 was completely inferior to the GameCube and Xbox
No wonder Sony went bankrupt.

Jesus christ, just look at the number of games it had. Shovelware? More like steam shovelware.

The snoyboy disease wasn't spread that much back then

whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Attached: 1555112118875.jpg (512x512, 29K)

dude gaystation lmao

wtf is up with this pepe

yes, exhibit a

honestly that is pretty damn brazen of them
they have a lot of cool shit to show but it's all tied up with ps5 and they arent ready to show it off yet
next is going to be fun
I love the big e3 years

For the life of me I don't get why they wasted so much on the DVD playing thing. Did they think people bought the PSX to listen to music CD's?

Based

Sometimes I unironically can't tell if you guys are joking or not. Years of browsing this shithole infested by angry autistic kids made me paranoid.

PS2 was shit. I think I knew one single person who had one, and he also had a Gamecube which I think he played more often. He only played Gran Turismo 4 on PS2, which I'll admit was a pretty cool game, but the PS2 controller didn't have analog triggers so you didn't even have an analog throttle control. Pathetic.

Everyone I knew either had an Xbox or a Gamecube. Most had Xboxes.

Great exclusives like:
>Halo
>Halo 2
>Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
>Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
>Midtown Madness 3 (fucking great game)
>Quantum Redshift (I liked it)
>Unreal Championship (basically a console version of Unreal Tournament 2003, and I loved it)
>Forza Motorsport (better than Gran Turismo because you actually had analog throttle control with the analog trigger)

As well as awesome multiplats like:
>Grand Theft Auto III
>Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
>Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
>Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 / 4
>TimeSplitters 2
>Need for Speed: Underground

The Xbox was, undoubtedly, the best console of that generation. Gamecube comes in second for Zelda and Metroid Prime. PS2 had nothing of note - the best selling game on PS2 was San Andreas, which was also available on Xbox LMAO - and the Xbox version was better because the hardware was more powerful LMAO. PS2 was for absolute plebs who didn't mind playing tons of shovelware garbage.

Attached: xbox.jpg (2000x866, 282K)

just pretend the subject was 'shitpost like it's the 2000s'

Attached: ps2tan.jpg (350x439, 46K)

Well, it's because they were trying to push DVD against the rival HDCD format.

Being this retarded it makes me think you have some kind of autism.

Dude, Resident Evil 4 being Gamecube exclusive really screwed Sony over as well. I think it might have come to PS2 after like a decade or something but it probably ran way worse

original Xbox is my favorite console of all time

It had Morrowind. No other console can compete.

No I'm not, I've seen people openly denying reality on Yea Forums countless times.

Remember the big panic surrounding this screen in the PS2's menu?

What were they thinking? Kids actually got nightmares and died from this thing.

Sony should have learned from the Dreamcast's success that anti-piracy measures are unneeded.

Attached: 1558831041718.png (480x360, 130K)

too bad the port was pretty much unplayable if you invested a lot of time in it because of Dirty Disc Errors
i am pretty sure the only way to experience everything in the game is to clean your saves often and i don't even know what save manager can clean Xbox saves
plus you would need your Xbox to be modded in order to transfer saves to and from your PC

I ended up just building my first PC.

>Sony should have learned from the Dreamcast's success that anti-piracy measures are unneeded.

Eventually they did with the PSP.

>I think it might have come to PS2 after like a decade or something but it probably ran way worse
Yeah that reminds me of another thing about the PS2 - it was less powerful than the Gamecube and SIGNIFICANTLY less powerful than the Xbox. Even a fucking Nintendo console was more powerful than the PS2, which of course is unthinkable today.

I know that FLOPs aren't everything but it's still a good measure of performance:
>PS2: 6.2 GFLOPs
>Gamecube: 9.4 GFLOPs
>Xbox: 20 GFLOPs
gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/6/

Good man, it was an amazing console.

Never played that but yeah okay, yet another thing in the Xbox's favour.

Attached: original xbox logo.jpg (1280x720, 36K)

that's the joke, but all of these zoomers are taking the bait hard

xbox has always had the best games even japanese ones. no sony game can hold a candle to games like shenmue 2 or jet set radio on og xbox. kotor, jade empire, mass effect etc were all genre defining. the biggest thing sony has defined is cinematic garbage and they seem to be doubling down on it.

I dont know what the consensus is, but I waited a long, long time for anything to come out on PS2
it seemed like PS1 had a lot of interesting stuff, but PS2 was just
third person crap
third person crap
third person crap
third person crap
I never saw a single game that I even wanted to play for a few minutes

I am goddamn sick of the disrespect in this thread, likely by "Zoomers", being thrown at the PlayStation 2 in this thread. It had online play, DVD playback, a controller that wasn't clown shaped or had too many buttons, and it had Final Fantasy X which was a freaking epic. And Devil May Cry. So who cares if it undersold, it's a cult console. Call me a hipster if you want.

SNOYGERS BTFO

Now it's the Dreamcast's time to shine!

the OUYA of consoles

>actually the PS2 was a good console

We've finally reached peak contrarian.

>boring western games like Sly Cooper, Jak, God of War, Ratchet and Clank.
Man, did anyone ever genuinely enjoy the Sony commissioned bootlegs, no droning involved? At least the jap exclusives were solid, the western stuff was all garbage except for Twisted Metal.

I don't know where you get your info from son but this console broke rectums when it came out in terms of sales. A few places with extra stock will always exist anywhere. Everyone I know had a ps2 at least once. The games that were available on release blew the competition away in terms of graphics and gameplay. This console sold so good, it even has multiple versions of it. How fucking retarded can you get making a statement like that? That's like saying the first Gameboy was a flop. For the love of god i took this bait, but please OP, take some cyanide in return you cock worshipping cum sock.

What a faggot....

Attached: 1377815605455.jpg (700x714, 84K)

God of War was kinda cool. It was like a fast paced Shenmue.

Motherfucker you did not!

Nigga u don't have:

Final Fantasy series,
Devil May Cry series
Resident Evil series
Dynasty Warriors Series
Red Fucking Faction
Onimusha series

and:

A LIFE!

>Onimusha
They actually have the best version of it ;)

RESIDENT EVIL 4 WAS NOT ON THE PS2 ACCORDING TO THIS NIGGER HERE

LE MAO ZE SCHLONG!1!1!1!11!1!1!!!

B==========D

Attached: 1505154851755.gif (360x270, 1.63M)

that aint Dawn of Dreams

Attached: 1417517139989.png (393x385, 286K)

I remember being big into PGR, as pretty much everyone was at the time, and my friend really wanted me to try out some PS2 racing game called 'grand tourism' (yeah it was really called that). So I go over to his place to give it a try, obviously it looked like shit but whatever, I'm racing along. And I realised there's no points indicator on the UI for kudos, or however they're naming it. I say to him, "How do I see how many points I got for that sick drift buddy?" And he's like, "uuuh, you don't get points in this game, it's just about driving faster than the other cars."

lmao, fucking Sony man, they're always 10 years behind everyone else.

I remember a while back some user debunked these GFLOPS. One of the big issues was that the GameCube’s GPU doesn’t do FPs so by definition it can’t do GFLOPS so the authenticity of the numbers is immediately dubious.

it just couldnt keep up with the big sellers like gamecube and dreamcast

Attached: 1550089478522.jpg (348x327, 16K)

If the PlayStation 2 sold well Sony might still be in the console market but the couldn’t compete with cutting edge tech giant that is Microsoft