Game has a beautiful ambiguous ending

>game has a beautiful ambiguous ending
>unnecessary sequel shits all over it and ruins it
What's its name, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1549729796238.png (1366x768, 535K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DFASct3oP8I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ffx

"I'll come back to you, I promise!"
"I know you will!"
[spoilers]When you walk away[/spoilers]

youtube.com/watch?v=DFASct3oP8I

That shit was truly romantic. And then it was shat on and forgotten.

Attached: I have boobs now sora.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

inb4 Dark Souls

Final Fantasy VII

Kingdom Hearts as a series has far bigger problems than Sora not dropping everything for some thot over his bro.

Persona 3
MGS2
FFVII

pretty much everything square made with a sequel, besides FF13 which had nowhere to go but up

Tales of Symphonia

FEAR

Final Fantasy XIII

>Persona 3
>MGS2
Only retards thought these were ambiguous. Especially P3.

Crysis

Deus Ex

It's about to be The Last of Us.

Mass Effect 3 shat over it's own great ending in the same ending when the magic space elevator and the Starchild appeared.

Nier Automata 2 when it releases

What was ambiguous about it?

I could see MGS ending after 2/3. It had a post-credits stinger, but I honestly think it didn't need to be expanded upon. Just the implication of the stinger is chilling enough.

Steinsgate

Attached: VegtLFq.png (1280x720, 2.64M)

>Automata
>ambiguous ending

Americans can't handle ambiguity, most games are catered towards burgers.

FINAL FANTASY 7

OOOOH IT FUCKING PISSSSES ME OFF

AND IN THE REMAKE THEY'RE GONNA PANDER TO THE GODDAMN GARBAGE COMPILATION OF FF7 AND RUIN THE ENDING

I don't think you understand the purpose of a stinger.

Danganronpa 3. Fuck the anime so hard.

A stinger is not always a sequel tease. The MGS2 stinger could have been a sequel setup (which it ended up being), but it also could have been totally standalone.

But how could they remake it without all of your favourite characters from the extended universe!? Genesis, with his deep and philosophical poetry! Cissnei whose real name we still don't know! And many newcomers who will only enrich the original story of Final Fantasy 7™!

Danganronpa 2

dark souls

Metal Gear Solid 2

People in general don't like ambiguity in anything anymore and they've been programmed to think that way for awhile now. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a major movie,book,comic, or game that didn't have some sort of sequel bait at the end?

The real issue with Mass Effect is that after introducing an antagonistic force like the reapers, ANY solution would have been an ass pull. The Reapers could slice through any other ship like butter and reverse engineering their tech made every researcher get indoctrinated along with the effect magically carrying over to what they made. The setting was fun but there was never going to be a satisfying ending to the overarching plot.

>KH
>unnecessary sequel
The real answer is KH2, which easily could've ended the series

I honestly thought that The Last of Us ended on a really strong ambiguous note, and that any sequel would follow completely different characters.

Attached: click.gif (939x975, 394K)

Of all goddamn games, Yoshi's Island.
Turns out the parents at the ending of the game were not Mario's all along, the stork made a mistake delivering the babies to the wrong parents and fucking Mario from the future came back in time to help the babies being delivered correctly

I can't believe I wrote all of that. Fuck.

I think the same goes for unveiling the mystery behind the Reapers. No explanation they could have given for their motivation would have satisfied everyone when the real interest and fear factor behind them was in not really knowing who or what they really were.

What the fug

yeah but theres no way they wouldn't continue ellie's story after all the praise they got for her, and especially after revealing shes a lesbo in the dlc

Sly Cooper Thieves in Time

based. What's worse is the sequelbait ending that will never be resolved

>beautiful ambiguous
What if I'm not a pseudo-intellectual teen who thinks bittersweet ambiguity is clever, and realize that it's a crutch for Japanese writers incapable of writing a complete story?

Are you by chance a professional movie test audience member?

They wrote novels and a stage play about it, you idiot.

>game has ambiguous ending
>sequel keeps the previous ending ambiguous

Attached: 1526914797302.gif (420x314, 1.53M)

No, I'm just not an edgy teenager or an emotionally stunted nip.

Every Final Fantasy game to ever get a sequel.

WHAT HAPPENED???
I DON'T UNDERSTAND

TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED IN DETAIL
I DIDN'T GET IT
TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT THIS CHARACTER DID AND WHERE THEY WENT AND HOW THEY DIED AND HOW THEY FELT ABOUT THOSE THINGS

HARRISON FORD PLEASE NARRATE BLADE RUNNER FOR ME I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE ORIGAMI

Attached: file.png (645x773, 258K)

Completely agree, I kind of like the sequels, but the quite literally destroy the original ending just to exist... and to anyone who doesn't know, I am not over reacting, the story is that time traveling shenanigans get involve to destroy that ending!

I agree. While I don't think its some masterpiece, it was still a solid game with a good ending, but I really wished the sequel deal with new characters.

>Stupid enough to think telling a story though visual symbolisms and metaphors is ambiguous
>Posts wojaks
Checks out.

I don't like the game very much but I felt the ending was a perfect fit for the kind of story they wanted to tell that was far more concerned with individual character study rather than the Big Great Evil Thing they were trying to stop, and the deus ex machina at the 11th hour was actually a very rare GOOD implementation of that trope where one of the characters just goes "We're dealing with a bunch of lying fucks there. Maybe it really IS all smoke and mirrors". It didn't need two sequels to explain what had happened and why and all that nonsense, and I feel that XIII and Lightning would have been a lot less hated by the fanbase as a whole if it was just a standalone story.

Dork souls

Attached: images (17).jpg (480x640, 25K)

I've not seen/played SG0, it's that bad ?

Halo 3.

343 ruined everything.

13s story wasnt bad imo, the gameplay was of course

Yes
It goes full JUST starting with a single scene
Before all that, its pretty fucking comfy. Rintaro deals with his trauma from time travel and seeing so much death. If you watch the anime, it absolutely shits the bed right on episode 16

FFX

Attached: 1425798478066.jpg (600x884, 65K)

999 doesn't really count since VLR was GOAT and superior to it. The problem is solely on ZTD, but that was two sequels away from 999

Dark Souls III ending was perfect though, and the tidbit lore and power of miracles waning in time was all as if planned beforehand

>He's one of those guys that thinks there's never any plot points deliberately left open and his interpretations are always the 'correct' ones

Attached: 77FE63A0-1EE7-4450-8550-1B6878F0E188.jpg (776x602, 46K)

Final Fantasy VII.

What a god damned shame. The remake will probably completely ignore it anyways.

Attached: Original_ending.webm (800x346, 1.29M)

>implying a story can't be complete without an ambiguous ending
All plot threads can be tied up while still being ambiguous.

you're not any smarter if you like an ending where the creator don't have the capabilites to write a satisfying ending.

Madoka

Attached: 1535284692486.png (1196x509, 1.22M)

>He's actually too stupid to follow visual storytelling
Aw, now I feel bad for making fun of a disabled person.

the DS3 ending was fine for what it was, but Dark souls never needed a sequel in the first place. The ending itself reaffirms that as it very much sets out to tie up every loose end so that there can never be another direct sequel. It's the same as MGS4 but less retarded

There are cases where ambiguity is actually best. One of my favorite movies ends that way, but a lot of the time it's just the writer being unable to tell a complete story. You can't address every plot point and be ambiguous, though, unless you end it on a "and now the next adventure begins" note.

>ambiguity cannot be satisfying
You can have an ambiguous ending and still bring a satisfying conclusion to everything.

pleb

I want to agree with you but at the same time my burning hatred of snakes I want to kill until they're dead won't really let me.

>Halo 3

VLR is connected to ZTD.
999 could be seen as it's own entity.
VLR is not only inherently bad for not being a complete story it was also tethered to ZTD in a way 999 is not.

deus ex

Fun game in it's own way, with enjoyable side quests, but the main story really took a shit on cronotrigger

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 127K)

Most games that didn't end on a cliffhanger.
This always makes me mad. Yoshi's Island is one of the best games of all time and Nintendo is always shitting over its legacy.