'member RTS games? I 'member

anyone still playing RTS? will RTS ever come back?
I miss it.

Attached: aom2.jpg (700x525, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=URQnNUU4-fA
reddit.com/r/allthingszerg/
reddit.com/r/allthingsprotoss/
reddit.com/r/AllThingsTerran/
liquipedia.net/starcraft2/2019_Global_StarCraft_II_League_Season_2/Code_S
youtu.be/MuBEPmgK_PE?t=3171
youtube.com/watch?v=DrOMvlOmt30
youtube.com/watch?v=K4ps9qm6nr4
youtube.com/watch?v=w3DDUylXXQg
youtube.com/watch?v=MVJhu-NXKuw
youtube.com/watch?v=JUrzRt_SBAI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

0 AD exists

It's too difficult for zoomers.

Hell, people act like ASSFAGGOTS (aka RTS where you control only one unit) is somehow mechanically challenging to play, so imagine them trying to play Broodwar.

Attached: ud heroes.jpg (1024x768, 115K)

thanks user!

Attached: dtJHU.png (425x234, 182K)

still play this sometimes
the amount of strategies you can pull due to the unit ability system is just brilliant

Attached: BR.jpg (1600x1200, 962K)

yeah... brood war is too hard. I leave it to the pros lol

there are still rts games

Genre peaked at Brood War.

Have the itch to replay some Warlords Battlecry 3. Either I delete all my heroes and start anew or just to level the ones I got.

>being such a delusional blizzard fanboy you bitch about MOBAs while still claiming that blizzard's RTSes were anything to stand by
All of Blizzard's RTS games were the equivalent of a dumbed-down game for consoles and a casual audience.

Attached: blizzshit.png (900x900, 292K)

Based zoomer revisionist that never actually played Blizzard RTS. WC2 mogs Red Alert completely in every way.

>wc2 and 3 + broodwar
>dumbed down
Sure thing, zoom zoom

Attached: brainlet.png (1200x1042, 247K)

>WC2 mogs Red Alert
>can't even control the game properly, so much that ironically it would be a great console RTS
Blizzard delusion, folks. These people enjoy playing a campaign that only serves as a tutorial for the multiplayer component, and having an "army" of only 5 units on a very good day. Now watch as he sinks into buzzwords and his own crusted semen over his Overwatch waifus.

Attached: Tiananmen_Square_protests_1989 (5).jpg (2048x1462, 611K)

SC2 killed it for me, BW is a game I got really fucking into so my expectations were high but holy shit. CoH and some mechanics from the DoW games look really interesting but apparently those games are really unbalanced or just dead which is kind of shit because I wouldn't mind getting into something different.

red alert 3

Nobody even plays red alert anymore, they use openRA which changes the game completely and has it control like warcraft 2 lol

>not playing Starcraft 64

>a campaign that only serves as a tutorial for the multiplayer component
Blizzard campaigns had good mission design and memorable storylines while also teaching you how to play the game. Competitve multiplayer was always going to be more fun anyway because the skill cap is so high that the AI stops being a challenge.

>having an "army" of only 5 units on a very good day
yeah, my army of 50 zerglings, 10 ultralisks, 20 lurkers with defiler support has only 5 units. Cry more, zoom zoom.

>Nobody even plays red alert anymore, they use openRA
Wrong. Everybody is playing classic RA because it has gone open-source, there are several fan-projects that shit on OpenRA and are much more closer to the original experience. Please Blizzboy, stop embarassing yourself, you don't even play these games, don't speak as if you do.

Attached: unknown.png (1428x1458, 293K)

Try SC2 again bro, they've gotten it to a great place.
youtube.com/watch?v=URQnNUU4-fA

everybody like......
and....

>80 units
>an army
Jesus Christ, man.

>Competitve multiplayer was always going to be more fun anyway
And you say Blizzshit doesn't pander to the console shooter Call of Duty audience?

competitive rts is just incomparable to competitive shooters. lol

that's more of a c&c thing where you just spam tanks without much thought

Problem with the whole APM deal is it's sadly just the next logical step in optimization. You want to get better, faster. No matter what game it will be pushed a far as it can go.

Play Zero-K

>gotten it into a very good place

Attached: very fun game.jpg (696x597, 43K)

Such a shame nothing really happened after the expansion. Wasn't there a planned re-release with additional clans and shit?

blizzard rts is on much smaller maps to allow for more consistent balance and so that not every game is 3+ hours.

I like both styles and can understand why you would like either.
RTS fans need to not be dicks to each other.

so there are a lot of good protoss. Just last year everyone said Zerg was OP.

Why don't we see the same shit in other regions.

user, for the last fucking time, correlation is not causation.

the thing isn't that Protoss is Op, but that Blizzards balancing is dogshit which leads to a race to dominate rape a Season until they punch the gonads out of them the next Season.

Attached: 2.jpg (1316x738, 90K)

Does Brutal Legend count as an RTS for you?

Attached: Punishing_Party_Attack.jpg (1280x720, 126K)

Battle Realms 2 Lair of the Lotus was announced back in 2013 but that is dead and buried

in 2014 they kickstarted a BR card game or some shit and nothing came out of it either as far as I know

i just disagree user. You're not considering the work that the players have been putting in.

Trap, Parting and Hurricane have been grinding for a long time. Streaming and practicing daily. Classic is literally about to retire and was trying his hardest. It's no surprise that we have a lot of protoss players.

Also shut the fuck up, how are you not looking forward to dark vs trap?

>limited select sizes/control groups
>no physics engine to calculate projectile trajectories
>no multiple command queues
>limited AI orders to give
>limited unit queues from buildings
>single rally points instead of line/area rally points

The list goes on. Brood Wars is outdated as fuck.

what is that?

>starshit 2

I really want to get into SC2 because I'm garbage at Broodwar, but the whole "2 big balls of units that avoid each other until a big fight" and annoying mechanics like Larva Injection kinda kill it for me.

Doesn't help that the campaign doesn't really teaches how to play the game, with all of the different units and all.

Is it still worth getting into?

Attached: the dong.jpg (522x418, 105K)

>Battle Realms 2 Lair of the Lotus was announced back in 2013 but that is dead and buried
Goddammit.

theyre hard to clone well

yet along improve upon

>single rally points instead of line/area rally points
That sounds nice. What games do that?

Brutal Legend was an pseudo action game/RTS that launched. the theme was around different genres of Rock and roll.... I think 3?

And one is about demons and oppresed humans in a alternative metal style, alot off bondage units. that is just one of the unit types.

Attached: 225260_screenshots_2013-11-07_00013.jpg (1920x1080, 368K)

Zero-K does it. It's a free open source RTS based on Total Annihilation. When giving attack/move orders you can draw a circle around the enemy force and your units will surround it. It's pretty great and I find it hard to go back to old RTS games that don't have that feature after using it so much.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (1024x576, 161K)

the deathball crap has never gone away. also the game can end at the drop of a hat. that doesn't mean that it is a bad game by any standard. it's fun and it's the most popular RTS in the west right now besides age of empires 2. age of empires is getting a new version soon with better netcode and upped graphics, maybe you'd be interested in that instead.

damn, ment for you

Attached: tainted_coil_part_1_by_brokenteapot_d2q5g53-fullview.jpg (800x616, 95K)

yes, early game option are way more figured out now. Also, harassment can destroy end game armies. They reworked larva mechanics a while ago so in general zerg is less spammy.

I'm not trying to shill, I actually think the game is really good right now. Try it user!

>it's fun and it's the most popular RTS in the west right now besides age of empires 2. age of empires is getting a new version soon with better netcode and upped graphics, maybe you'd be interested in that instead.
Not him and off topic but competitive AOE was always a special kind of dog shit.

>competitive AOE was always a special kind of dog shit.
Learn how to defend against getting rushed

That sounds nice, is there some place where I can read on build orders and strategy? most of the stuff I find is from HotS.

I watch these pro games and I feel like they could win by just harassing workers with mutas, but they never do it.

Attached: 1560224632911.jpg (741x568, 73K)

>Learn how to defend against getting rushed
That's not the issue, the issue is the game itself doesn't really lend itself all that well for competitive play. I was going to start typing up all the reasons but then I as I was going over them in my head I realized I didn't want to write a fucking essay, there's a reason AOE never really had a big competitive scene even with it's massive player base.

Are we talking about AoE or AoE2? Because the new version the other guy was talking about was AoE2:DE.

Go on then cause it sounds like you are just making excuses.

What are some games that don't have that cartoony discrepancy between the size of infantry units and building/vehicles? Shit ruins my immersion too much. I mean when you get a super heavy tank thing thats supposed to be this massive lumbering chunk of armor and guns and have it rolling up to the enemy position with your infantry to support it, it just looks stupid to have the infantry clearly to big to even fit in it.

Attached: mow as2.jpg (960x540, 516K)

also unit AI can be pretty nice with fast units trying to evade shots etc with having to micro individually

I just watch streams of my favorite players and try to pay attention to what they do.

There's also a reddit(fucking gay, I know) for each race:
reddit.com/r/allthingszerg/
reddit.com/r/allthingsprotoss/
https:/reddit.com/r/AllThingsTerran/

>Are we talking about AoE or AoE2? Because the new version the other guy was talking about was AoE2:DE.
All of them, I'm talking about every AoE ever made.

I'd rather not, also do you know what the word excuse means?

why do all the complaints about bw boil down to the game not playing itself for you?

Short answer is no

I though you guys were just complaining about "Area of Effect" units this whole time...

Any RTS based in asia or a similar fiction?
i basically just know Age of empires with the campaigns
Battle realms which is pretty fun, rip
then afterward i got nothing else in mind unless i mention C&C generals for chinese faction

>there's a reason AOE never really had a big competitive scene even with it's massive player base
But it does.

does it have a team league?

>quality of life changes
ehh brood war isn't for everyone.
I played it for a little bit, and enjoyed it sucked dick.
I played SC2 and was able to improve even with short play sessions. I also think the community is a little better suited for helping new players learn.

>But it does.
It really doesn't.

Because RTS games are more fun when you can focus on the S over the R.

>so imagine them trying to play Broodwar.
But I do

>leddit
Welp, that's pretty guy but I guess I will check it out.

What are some good zerg players I could watch? I only know about the tranny.

Attached: kekeke.gif (128x128, 11K)

Then you're wrong. AoE2 has a very healthy competitive scene that's not only fun to play it's also fun to watch, with many varied strategies.

It was the best of the subgenre, effectively an evolution of Sacrifice with less experimental and more solid game mechanics.

Attached: 1_1.jpg (800x600, 84K)

You're telling me all the people playing it are only playing against the AI? That all the videos people put up on youtube are campaign lets plays?

first 15 minutes of aoe2 plays out the same no matter what
snorecore

>try to play with friends years ago
>we are so bad that we have a rule of "nobody cant attack each other until half an hour"

Attached: maxresdefault (24).jpg (1280x720, 167K)

>I played SC2 and was able to improve even with short play sessions. I also think the community is a little better suited for helping new players learn.
SC2 is a mechanically easy game compared to BW. A lot of the stupid gimmicks came from the fact they needed an apm sink to make up for it. There's some good and bad there because the jank in BW added so much to it's depth.

>playing RTS competitively
the only reason any game has a competitive scene anymore is to appease the starcraft koreans. why not just play a comfy game?

First 8 minutes mainly. When you try to get your sheep, houses and feudal times in order. After that you can do whatever you want. Actually no because you can still rush someone in dark age which requires a different set up.

>Then you're wrong. AoE2 has a very healthy competitive scene that's not only fun to play it's also fun to watch, with many varied strategies.
This is an absolute shitpost.

>You're telling me all the people playing it are only playing against the AI? That all the videos people put up on youtube are campaign lets plays?
How many people do that again? What are some notable AoE2 tournaments I need to know about?

literally anyone who says this doesn't have enough game knowledge to even think about strategy. if you ask why a build is currently meta or what its advantages and disadvantages are they will just complain that builds exist at all. when these people talk about strategy what they really mean is "I want to be able to do anything and still win."

>implying FFA diplomatic AoE2 games aren't comfy

What's the matter, can't argue your way out of getting rushed?

It pisses me off that the very rare RTS game that releases still tries to chase esports instead of making a fun campaign.

You can actually turn this on as an opton in Aoe " HD

>the only reason any game has a competitive scene anymore is to appease the starcraft koreans. why not just play a comfy game?
Out of all the genres of video games RTS is the most pure genre to play competitively. I'm still surprised people actually think assfaggots and shooters are actually competitive games.

I don't see the problem.
Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires have many players. Supreme Commander also still going strong. Many other newer games out there like Ashes of the SIngularity, Deserts of Kharak.

Its just not the popular pleb genre anymore it was in the past, and there are no AAA tier new releases.

The hell are you talking about? How do changes like these have anything to do with meta builds?

>why not just play a comfy game?
It's called Brood War UMS maps

Attached: 1552531528384.jpg (549x550, 74K)

RTS games and LAN parties used to be amongst my favourite things

I haven't even seen a damn internet cafe in 10 years

Attached: 1541446958730.png (1277x772, 1.44M)

>How many people do that again? What are some notable AoE2 tournaments I need to know about?
Are you seriously arguing that because a game isn't getting Blizz sponsored tournaments with prize pools that the player base isn't competitive? What you're arguing is that the player base isn't large, which is true. It's only got a thousand or so players on HD, but probably a lot more on voobly. But the original argument was that the playerbase isn't competitive, but they are. They're always playing each other. Nobody is playing AoE2 for the campaigns.

I 'member too user

Attached: Praetorians_Coverart.png (252x357, 181K)

Warcraft 3 is peak RTS comfy

Enough depth in the main game to appeal to asian pros, but also superior modability and a sick editor for custom games. Too bad DOTA's popularity overshadowed it.

>Dark
>Soo
>Ragnarok
>JonSnow
>TLO
>Neuro(not a pro but still GM)

Serral rarely streams but he's considered the best zerg and likely the best player in the world currently.

Also, Dark will be in the finals of the current GSL season. liquipedia.net/starcraft2/2019_Global_StarCraft_II_League_Season_2/Code_S

Attached: post-215448-1518100706.jpg (1600x1200, 1.33M)

My argument was always that I personally hated comp AoE and then someone made the argument that the comp player base is huge, which it's not. Like I said I have lots of reasons for not liking how it plays competitively, I don't understand people who do but if we're being fair I doubt most people would actually like playing B or higher level BW games even if they could so to each their own in that respect.

>Nobody is playing AoE2 for the campaigns
Says you. I only do single player.

I finally made a thread that is somewhat successful :3

Attached: the-girl.jpg (500x270, 34K)

Not only chase esports,but refuse to making interesting worlds or try something new. Real shame the last rts to try it was Planetary Annihilation and half way through development they threw it away for esports.

RTS is more than just esport??

Attached: CjcQBE6_d.jpg (362x346, 13K)

I'm a fan of LoTRBfME2RotLK

Attached: 2019-06-20_15-09-56.mkv_snapshot_00.27_[2019.06.20_15.11.28].png (1920x1080, 3.45M)

Attached: 1363876791296.jpg (500x500, 62K)

You did it

Attached: c225813b2d8850af109a43a280ce20c4.jpg (1021x578, 357K)

I hate WC3 for introducing hero units, which paved the way for the death of the genre.

youtu.be/MuBEPmgK_PE?t=3171
this was a good starcraft game played recently. does anyone have a good competitive aoe2 game that I can watch to see what it's like?

I am just commenting on the kind of person who complains that they want to focus on strategy instead of apm.

MCG is free as comfy as hell
made a few mods for it

Attached: 2019-06-07 00_47_42-MechCommander Expansion Release Version_ 02.99.07.2601 -- c873ba40_b00c_11d3_a4. (1920x1080, 2.07M)

>more robot shit
Why isn't there a new fantasy RTS out there? I wanna play as waves of skeletons taking down huge castles and shit.

Hero units were fun to use and added depth to WC3, while helping make it unique compared to other games in the genre.

Blaming WC3 for ASSFAGGOTS is like blaming Doom for modern military shooters.

>tutorial for the multiplayer
Only roc does this. Frozen throne campaign is literally full of custom maps

YOU ARE VICTORIOUS!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=DrOMvlOmt30

Attached: 1473813671-472152788.jpg (1199x900, 151K)

also skip to the last game at 52:50 if the jewtube link doesn't do it for you

What went wrong?

Attached: file.png (616x353, 338K)

Turn based is superior for the most part when it comes to the actual strategy part tbhfam

Attached: Overland1.png (1449x907, 1.79M)

nearly every fucking thing

Not RTS but an hibrid between action and rts. The concept is alright but it's a shame it was never developed beyond just a game.

>I am just commenting on the kind of person who complains that they want to focus on strategy instead of apm.
My favorite part about this is you only need about 150-200 eAPM to win high level games which will just come naturally. Sure at pro levels you do actually need to some times pull out a real 300+ eAPM situation but not only are those short lived but also such a small minority of players that it's irrelevant.

>competitive SC is still going in Korea
Damn

Does Flash still play? I know Jaedong had stopped because he fucked up his wrists.

>The game is so good it literally plays itself
Imagine being so bad at micro that you need an assist mechanic

>let me juggle this immortal infinitely while it kills off 40 supply worth of enemy units
M8, if toss micro involved even an ounce of ability or skill, then sure, no complaints, but when you can literally destroy an entire army with two units by using a warp prism that can pick it's units up from 1 AU away.... that's a fucking problem.

Entire faction is BDSM themed. One of the main ranged troops is a squad of this fatboy covered in pins and his handlers who pull them out and throw them at you.

RTS is literally dead. There's not even any development of a new RTS, but I don't really know this, I might be wrong.

Attached: 1519956715000.jpg (650x793, 38K)

Completely different genre, not that it's bad but it takes the adrenaline and actual reaction speed out of the equation. RTS games caught on as esports simply because they can be fun to watch because everything is based on split second decisions but TBS games don't have that appeal which is why they're even less common to see played multiplayer even though historically TBT games were pretty fucking popular.

>once had an 8 hour game against someone in American Conquest
Fire arrows OP my doods

Attached: american-conquest-image825658.jpg (580x435, 176K)

>Can't attack each other for x time
>Use the time to tower rush the fuck of each other
Lmao

>literally dead
what about RTS games that are still being updated?

youtube.com/watch?v=K4ps9qm6nr4

O me de to u

Attached: Anon IRL.gif (500x363, 458K)

youtube.com/watch?v=w3DDUylXXQg

Viper is one of the best players. He also casts sometimes.

Everything

When the FUCK are we getting a new RTS game like AoE/AoM?

Never

AoE4 is being made, but it will probably deviate from the style
AoE2 DE is more of same thing

check out the game and you'll see what I am talking about, it is not really an assist rather something to make the game more interesting and engaging

Next year. Relic is supposedly working on AoE4. No idea if it will be any good though.

Such as?

What kind of a monster Am I If i think it was okay for just playing a little with the campaign?
I mean, the huge focus on the heroes instead of the troops is a detrements, so probably multiplayer felt bad.

>tfw the western UMS scene is basically dead

Attached: 1553527041280.png (500x500, 103K)

one of the greatest

Attached: Rise_of_Nations.jpg (1024x768, 360K)

The Forgotten Empires guys are on it as well.

Rise of Nations has a major problem that you can't really commit to any kind of combat until the final era since the defending bonuses are so strong. I also don't like the way that units scale in cost with how many units you produce.

>Sins of a Solar Empire sequel using nitrous engine never ever

Attached: vasari.png (220x220, 64K)

If Asians like rts (only starcraft?)
is there any famous asian rts?

I don't think they have any actual input on Age 4, though I would love it if they do. The team is clearly passionate about the series and puts in a lot of effort to understand what makes it work. Cysion is a total qt.

So basically you sprawl for resources at first and then turtle? That's kind of annoying. Though I imagine if you don't fight for resources and map control, it's going to be difficult to get the resources for late game. And if you do get a good portion of map control, it's going to take significant resources and time to get defenses set up, which is obviously going to make your standing army suffer. You sure they're that strong? It seems very difficult to make static defenses "too strong" since investing so heavily will be detrimental to you for one reason or another.

maybe he has a brain?

>playing any game competitively
kills series and genres in the longrun, makes them very popular in the short term

For that you have Kohan IS/AG, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, probably Battle for the Middle Earth, Dominions series and Total War Warhammer

Kinda hard to come by that specific genre of games

Attached: Kohan-Immortal Sovereigns.png (1024x768, 1.18M)

Been playing the last couple of months AoE 3 with my brother and sister, we're having such a good time, it's becoming a tradition now, like three nights per week. AoE 3 has a special place in my heart, even if it lacks some features it has an amazing atmosphere and it's really comfy to play, also still looks pretty good.

Attached: Age-of-Empires-3-6_20_2019-2_35_55-PM.jpg (2560x1440, 1M)

>almost 5 hour series all on the same map
yikes. which is the best game in the series?

Fucking Company of Heroes 1 with Blitzkrieg mod. CoH 2 is fun as well.

Basic unit AI is something that should be in all RTS games. If you're a guy with a bow and you're getting bumrushed by shield dudes of course you're gonna run backwards and shoot instead of just standing there and letting them reach you to bash your brains out. Your job as commander is to make sure your arrow guys aren't retreating into another ambush or that they're not getting split and surrounded. Or maybe even actually telling them to stand ground for a suicide play if that's what the situation calls for. THAT's the kind of micro the game should put you in charge of.

The autist in me would also want a game where individual unit personalities are taken into account. Like if you have a squad of soldiers with "cowardly" units those are the first that will stop firing and run at the sight of large enemy numbers. Or "brash" units that have default behavior of standing and fighting. Maybe "charismatic" units in your squads cause them all to fight better? Something like this probably exists somewhere.

>Have AOEII LAN parties in sixth form years after it first came out
>The guy who played non-stop since release can utterly molest us even when it's 6v1
I wish I was as autistic as you Steven.

>RTX on

SC2

>6v1
Literally how? Can't you guys just win by sending all your starting villagers at him at the same time?

You should try out the Wars of Liberty mod for AoE3. It overhauls almost everything and adds in tons of new nations from Romania and Italy to the Inca and Australians. Been playing it frequently with friends and we have a blast with it.

it's not exactly the same map, aoe maps are procedurally generated based on tileset + some rules

they will eat all the arrows most likely

I knew you were going to say that. Boring as fuck, 2-dimensional gameplay. Because some people (read as: Koreans and wannabe Koreans) like the simplicity and rigid nature of SC2 doesn't mean RTS isn't dead.

Warcraft 3

basic unit ai is just going from point a to point b without getting stuck on things and attacking what it's told to attack. when you try to make them "smart" you run into the problem of the unit not actually being as smart as the player. I hate it when I want my units to do something specific but their ai keeps making them try to do something different. at least in games with "dumb" ai units act predictably so it's easy to force them to do what you want.

>be AoE2fag
>new RTS comes out
>It is faster than AoE 2 and I need to learn new stuff
>get destroyed in my first online game
>call it shit
>don't even provide an argument
>people avoid the game because of shit reputation
>go back to my dated grind fest
>pay another $30 for a new definitive edition
>no one wants to play my old game
>call them names online
>wonder why the RTS genre is dying

I like having sex though.

Really all I'm getting is that Blizzard games aren't dead from the two responses I got. I'm hype for WC3 remaster but that's not even a "new" game in development, it's basically just some easy money.

On the flip side, consider this:
DoW2 and DoW3 are very garbage games. DoW3 especially. Being unable to like a game because of its flawed designs doesn't mean it's the players' fault that the RTS genre is dying.

It's not about static defenses, but units move incredibly slow in comparison to the size of the map and only melee infantry can capture enemy cities.

its the slow development of gaming ai killed tge rts games

with ai so shit, you have to play multiplayer and game dev cater to he mulitiplayer clowd

>DoW2
>very garbage game
balance is shitty, but there is Elite mod
suck a dick

The reason RTS games died all has to do with Warcraft 3 in every way. It's amazing such a well made game killed an entire genre. It set the bar too high, too many competitors tried to copy it and borrow elements of it without realizing what made it so good and its community so robust. It set Blizzard, an RTS powerhouse, in a new direction based off the lore it established, leading to them abandoning the genre for WoW. And it's community, in their love of the game and its mechanics, invented the very genre of games that stole the casual playerbase, and with them, the sales. It is a wonderfully ironic piece of poetry in the history of video games. It will be interesting to see what the remaster will do for the genre, if anything at all.

Attached: Warcraftiii-frozen-throne-boxcover.jpg (220x303, 23K)

Yeah, and Broodwar still has a scene in Korea, despite not being updated for what, 20 years?

Reforged is basically a cashgrab by a desperate Blizzard finally trying to appeal to their loyal WC3 fanbase that they ignored for so long, but hopefully it can bring new players in and put some life back into the genre.

Although it's most likely all the new players will go on ladder, get absolutely crushed, and then never play again.

Attached: 1529957280523.jpg (700x382, 55K)

Regardless of your opinion of DoW2 my point still stands.

Age of Mythology is better fag

Single player rts > multiplayer rts
There is room for many single player rts, there is only place for one multiplayer rts, since everyone plays it and it simply is not dead (quality that no other new or old multiplayer rts enjoys)
Starcraft is THE multiplayer rts
Single player RTS are the future, any attempt at multiplayer rts is wasted
Play Spellforce 3

Attached: jov1yghiqhjfc2v5krg6.jpg (836x470, 216K)

Both are fantastic for different reasons.

Why is AoE2 so much more popular then?

>there will never be a game with the hero mechanics of Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War

Also, how in the fuck did they get the US Air Force to support their free version release?

Attached: rise-fall-civilizations-at-war_8.jpg (1024x768, 197K)

>wanting to argue this bad

Attached: 24dffa3a-f790-45d9-be6e-746b70b40934.sized-1000x1000.jpg (1000x563, 82K)

All Remasters are easy money.
Activision Blizzard devs even said that they're not going to make any RTS games now because they're just not profitable enough.

Koreans/Gooks like Starcraft.
Japanese play their own kind of RTS games.
Vietnamese are reliious about AoE1.
Chinese play a whole slew of shit. It's PC land much like Eastern Europe so everyone has at some point played AoE2 (tons of good players to this day), RA2 (they basicaly don't even know C&C exists, for them it's a Red Alert series of games) WC3 (Chinese are the only ones keeping that game alive), WC3:DotA AllStars (again, it was Russia vs China before Riot and Valve shat things up).

All in all, Koreans tried, but they make MMOs, not RTS games and it sucked.
Japanese make their own shit you wouldn't want to play.
Vietnam is too poor to make any video games.
China made a fuckton of C&C mods, you may have even played some already. Game-wise, though they mostly make mobile RTS games of all sorts, but none what you'd want to play.

So yeah, you'll have to wait for some Chinese millionaire with a boner for RTS games to do anything in that sphere.

I am really fucking bad at They are Billions. I have never lost so badly in an RTS campaign before. I just never build walls until its too late.

Nostalgiafags

Been wanting to pick up Spellforce 3, but was waiting for the new standalone expansion. How is it mechanically? I'm very interested now that my dwarfy boys are back in.

How bad?

>there are egyptianfags in this thread RIGHT NOW

Attached: 1455430591136.jpg (180x159, 7K)

I don't get the appeal of single player rts. won't you get bored of playing againt an ai that can't innovate?

>Japanese play their own kind of RTS games.
Are there any hidden jap RTS gems?

no because I always win and I like winning

As usual (unfortunately) the RTS portions take backseat to lolheroes, it's not as bad as 2 but worse than 1 (which by no means was anywhere near balanced, especially for beginning factions)

This is my opinion from playing first 3 hours so and sketchy memory of 2 not necessarily true

Age of Ethanols.
youtube.com/watch?v=MVJhu-NXKuw

Yes, but not for the reasons you are saying. The genre didn't die because WC3 set the bar too high, it died because everyone started copying it including its worst features, the heavy emphasis on hero units being the worst offender. Hero units have little to no place in most RTS games.

Voulome.

Is DoW Soulstorm multiplayer still alive? Feel like playing it again.

sounds luek totalwar. but melee units in total war dont activrly attack enemy unless they run inot them or.been ordered to do so

sad the mod only support american campaign

Why would ai need to innovate? the idea is that you play a campaign against various configurations of enemy vs your side.
Do you like single player FPS? is there an important difference from single player RTS?

Actually in the older total war games, if a unit was feeling impetuous and had the trait "may charge without orders" there was a chance they would engage the enemy on their own if they were close enough. I don't think this is in the newer total war games at all. Pretty sure the last one to have it was Medieval II.

fps doesn't have an evolving metagame though. an ai that can't innovate will never come up with a new strategy or be able to respond to a new strategy that you create.

You don't understand, the faggots in this thread wouldn't even call it an RTS if they have issues with Sacrifice, Tooth and Taill or Brutal Legend.
Hence why I said "own kind of RTS".

Usually titles like Black Moon Chronicles:
youtube.com/watch?v=JUrzRt_SBAI

Then you have stuff like Herzog Zwei and AirMech (which is a copy of the Japanese game).

Pikmin is another one, Overlord kind of tried to emulate that.

We do share a love for the 2D battle games. You know, camps on either side, spend resources to summon units which march to the other side. That one has an entire genre name dedicated to it in Japanese gaming world.

Just like the RTS game Valkyria Revolution was supposed to be originally did not in any way, shape, or form imply a CoH style game set in that world.
Western RTS simply means a Dune 2 clone, Japanese RTS means taking a turn based game and putting it into a real time. Hence the massive rift.

What do you mean we have Grey Goo LMAO

>I hate it when I want my units to do something specific but their ai keeps making them try to do something different
That's why I said there should be multiple states you can order your units to be in. If you want them to act like literal retards you can have that as an option as well, because yeah there's gonna be times when you want them to just stand there and take whatever happens or do a thing and ignore whatever else is happening.

pikmin is just lemmings

Which is most autistic RTS or RTT?

Attached: ss_276c9faaf9409371ddfe072fa09d94b74f57786a.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 1.88M)

Keep up, the legendary game developers from Petroglyph just released Conan Something

Have you tried building walls before its too late

>RTT
Men of war most definitely

Attached: 2014-05-15_000081.jpg (1920x1080, 916K)

Look at these faggots right here.
>brit player sees them
>cant fucking kill them
>resorts to dropping artillery on them/around them
>they are still alive and now hiding in a shell crater

Attached: fuck you allies.jpg (565x394, 65K)

>legendary game developers from Petroglyph
It's pretty sad that Universe at War flopped. The games they're making these days look like eastern european budget rts from 10 years ago.

Guys wait hear me out:
RTS MMORPG

Attached: g14[1].jpg (1200x800, 546K)

nice digits but men of war is way less autistic than graviteam tactics?

Mate, 10 years ago was 2009. SC2 came out a year later.
That was long past the time when Russians and Ukrainians were pushing out RTS games.

Go on...

t. clash of clans pro

>what is cossacks 3?

>MMO
>RPG

Attached: 61Czo2D1YPL._UX679_.jpg (679x679, 29K)

Definitely, there's over 800 people playing right now.

Like the concept, but I imagine it would be a nightmare to create. I'd like to imagine it would play like one massive map where it could take hours of moving your troops to find the enemy. Having to coordinate between defending your base and work on long distance troop micro could be interesting if done right.

Brilliant! Also make it a battle royale.

Attached: fursecutionfox.png (303x297, 234K)

That's a whole 7 years later and fits into the remaster craze.

Does anyone still play Coh or Coh2? I'm thinking about reinstalling one or the other.

Attached: flipfags WHAT ARE YOU DOING.webm (640x480, 2.94M)

RTS is just a flawed genre. They either cater to autism for esports, in which case it more or less boils down to rock paper scissors builds that require precise build time tables, or they're just ctrl+A to enemy base with overwhelming numbers casual campaign.

At least RTT has more variety of gameplay.

There are no greater sore losers in world than shitters complaining about APM

I play CoH2, I'd say go for 2. It has more players and still gets (community) patches from time to time. A new one just came out with some big changes.

The most autistic thing about graviteam tactics is learning how to play. Actually playing is just
>que orders pre-battle
>start game
>wait until you win

>Nobody is playing AoE2 for the campaigns.
Out of the 15 people on my friend's list who bothered buying the remaster on steam only one of them even touched the multiplayer and he exclusively plays those servers with early peace rules. You probably interact more with people who only play competitive and think this is the norm, I've heard audible keks as responses to me mentioning that competitive AoE 2 exists

Only honest Solo RTS player in existence.
Rest goes in endless tirades complaining about e-sports and APM while playing compstomps in 4vs1

>early peace rules
That's a very "inclusive" and "progressive" way of saying no rush rules, faggot.

>scout truck rush from CoH2 in pic
lol
CoH2 still even gets new commanders.
There are less players than SC or AOE2 but more then rest of RTS body pile.

the stern of that ship is floating out of the sea.

I enjoyed C&C-style games as a kid but I always dreamt of huge battles like in the LotR movies with thousands of troops and massive wars. I think a lot of people probably feel the same because Total War games are the most popular RTS now and probably the only really successful RTS franchise. For better or worse the old style of RTS got squeezed out between smaller scale MOBAs and large scale Total War stuff.

There was an MMORTS actually, forget what it's called. It wasn't great.

Attached: 100700-1438972570-5700122bec0f9534dc59dc9cba8fde37.jpg (1360x768, 293K)

>100 players
>Gigantic map with enough resources for 100 players scattered around
>Everyone starts a good enough distance from any enemy with everyone set as neutral factions so you can't instantly get wrecked
>Chat and diplomacy enabled so you can form allies/enemies at the click of a button
>20 minutes in all resources in the edges of the map get deleted, forcing players who settled near the edges to expand towards the center
>Every 20 minutes more and more outer resources get deleted concentrating resources further and further towards the center
>The closer you are to the center, the better the resources you'll find, but also the more players you'll run into
>neutral AI military units are also on the map which you can recruit by spending a bit of resources, with better more powerful/expensive units found near the center

Guys is it bad if this actually sounds fun?

Attached: 1547107093454.png (267x279, 108K)

they already have those it's called Clash of Clans.

>no new Age of Mythology with focus on other cultures like Slavic, Aztec or Hindu

Who hurt you user?

would play the shit out of that.

Maybe someone can just take a classic rts and mod it for that. kinda like mario royal or whatever its called.

Either you played the Edain Mod?

This will end up in 1 side winning only due to
>who lost less people due to desync/ragequit
>who grinded/paid more for OP units

MMO+anything competitive is a recipe for disaster

This has the same issue as all the battle royales that are not fortnite or ubattlegrounds, its only possibly fun if you can conststently land 100 player games within 5 minutes

God, I wish that game had a proper single player campaign for all factions.

My friends who INSISTED on no rush. It completely kills the balance the game, a good RTS match is intense from the get-go.

The Chinese one was really lackluster. Decent for a fan project, but we really needed a proper expansion akin to the titans.

I have no idea why they even bothered to write any of the lore for that title.

Genius! Now find me a way to make it playable on phones and consoles.

I just want to know what the fuck were Vasari running from.

I molested my friend group in college similarly while playing AoEIII
I would just play Russia, rush home shipments for the raiding horse unit, and slay all their villagers as soon as possible; I would usually get 1-2 players this way.

As soon as you do this, the survivors go turtle mode and start building walls, and then you've got free control of the entire map and can boom the fuck out of everyone else.

I got into starcraft recently. Been doing micro maps, it's a lot of fun. People who say it's too late to get into hard games like BW are lying

The setting is at fault. Chinese mythology doesn't seem that interesting to begin with, and add to that that to us westerners it seems completely foreign. I would pay for an AoM centered around Quetzacotl though, that shit seems really cool.

Instead of nostalgia posting and doomsaying...
Did anyone play any NEW strategy?
I seen RE-Legion came out but I didn't seen any posts about it.
Is it even a RTS?

>The setting is at fault.
Fuck no. The horrible devs are. If it didn't look and feel like a mod pushed out by a bunch of 12 year old kids first trying out 3D tools, it would gather a much different reception.

>Chinese mythos is at fault
Chinese mythology uses the same root belief as the Japanese one. And both are much, much closer to anyone in the west than the shit in MesoAmerica.

yep still waiting for the goblins

It more was so it didn't play into the original setting at all. The point of AoM is that all the mythologies exist at once and interact with each other. The Chinese campaign is totally solitary from the other campaigns.
AoEIII had some really strange balancing issues. Aztecs were always my go to faction.
>build huge army
>send army to kill enemy
>other players get wind of this and attack my base
>all of the big buttons for aztecs provide units which can exceed the unit cap
>suddenly have a second army as large as my first one for strictly home defense
Also to whatever moron at Ensemble who created the Hurons, fuck you.

LK? You mean witch king right?

What was special about the Huron? Or do you mean Iroquois?

I really didn't like the expansion civs in III. They all were really gimmicky and had like half the tech that the Europeans had.

I'm thinking in an RTS you only need something like 25 players for the concept to work. Hell I don't think anything can handle 100 players even with original AoE graphics.

Too many units. Thing with the native units is that they don't play into your overall unit cap, but you naturally restricted into fielding only 10 or so native units. With the Huron (added in Warchiefs I believe) you had shipment button which gave you 30 of the fuckers, and another for a 200% training speed. Any map which included Huron I had to make a beeline for because of rush players getting the Huron overwhelming me as they are effective early game siege units.

I though the expanded civs were Souix, Aztec, and Iroquois?

>it's a Brit player tries to be mlg by moving his command truck to the middle of the map but doesn't have a captain so you can just park 2 scout cars by it when he mass-retreats episide

Attached: 1550948816886.jpg (1920x1080, 113K)

OH I see what you mean now.

> Hell I don't think anything can handle 100 players even with original AoE graphics
I think a MMORTS would have to scale down the armies really hard for it to work. At that point it's probably more fun to just limit to 8 - 10 players, but let everyone have big ass armies.

I dunno, if They Are Billions can somehow make the game work with 10,000 or so units on screen at once I think you can make it 25 players with 400 unit cap which is a good number for massive clashing armies.

context?

N

Just add three lanes with pre defended turrets all the faggots will flock.

fuck that makes me so jealous. i wish i had anyone to play RTS with me

Attached: 1558401362175.gif (440x508, 909K)

RTS isn't too difficult, it's boring and shallow.

RTT battle royale, base mechanics would be similar to Men of war, each player would control a small squad (12 units maybe) that is dropped in a random spot on the map and has to look around for weapons, itens and vehicles, a RTT is better due to the more detailed combat mechanics that would allow a skilled player to still have chance against players with better equipment

Attached: 1386969008912.gif (640x360, 2.8M)

wargame red dragon

>RTS
>shallow
I didn't know it was possible to have taste this shit. Neck yourself, zoomer.

>try playing 2v2 with randoms
>instantly get nervous for fear of being bad and ruining things for your partner
Online gaming isn't as fun when you have no friends

Attached: 010.png (374x376, 178K)

Attached: 1532004283746.webm (892x500, 2.58M)

>Voobly doesn't even let you play in team games until you've played enough 1v1 because they don't want you ruining things for everyone else.
I'm too self conscious for this shit. I feel like I can play to the best of my abilities and still be hated by the rest of the people in the room because I suck so bad.

>loses workers in one expansion
>quits
I feel like there's more to this than is being shown in the webm

Do you guys have cool random maps to play against AI ? Im switching between AOE2 and AOM lately but I cant seem to find good random maps (dont really care for scenarios).

that's his only expansion and he just transferred most of his workers from the main there. plus his attack was repelled in top left, he has no chance

Calm down, nobody is playing OpenRA anymore. Even Mental Omega has more players.

>I'm too self conscious for this shit
Same. I love RTS games, but they trigger my anxiety lik nothing else.

Ideally you'd want to have a few buddies around your skill level that are willing to practice with you and help you get better, but people in "competitive" games are usually too stuck up and elitistic for that.

Losing 25 workers at that point in the game is a massive disadvantage, I guess he felt like it wasn't even worth trying.

Attached: 8f8.jpg (1029x1029, 166K)

It's not a pure RTS, it's like a mix between Civilization and AOE, so it is pretty much meant to have long games.

It'd be nice if the more diplomatic factions from Rebellion worked together to fight it.

Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition will save the RTS genre.

Anyone else hyped?

Attached: aoe.jpg (3072x1728, 3.34M)

That's like saying a castle rennovation is going to save the feudal government.

I would be, but I have no friends

Attached: i.jpg (3072x1728, 3.41M)

The only way to make friends these days is to join a discord

Might play it for the campaigns. It's been so long.

anyone have the one webm of the korean dude that GGs in response to seeing a massive army that he doesn't realize is mainly hallucinations?

Would rather die alone tbqh

vooblyfags will stay on voobly no matter what, half of HD players will stay on HD because fuck buying it again

Attached: cumans.jpg (3840x2160, 2.69M)

there was already another remake that came out for this game only 6 years ago and it's doing great. Nobody needs this shit and it certainly isn't going to "revive interest in the franchise" like you naive brainlets are claiming.

>tfw used RTS as city sims
anybody else did this?

Attached: aoe de.jpg (3072x1728, 3.57M)

>previous 4 image posts have been literally that
Yeah, you're not the only one

I can only assume the people that are excited for AoEII DE are 15 yo graphics fags or people unaware that HD was a thing. And the vanilla/HD graphic style is really good looking. Not sure why everything has to look all shiny and plastic and perfect now

>no RTS that are good mix of RTS and comfy city buildan
I wish Empire Earth was a better city builder but that's how I treated it.

>you control one unit
i never understood this comparison. Is it just an autism thing? Like because the camera angle is kinda similar the games might be too? mobas are more comparable to action games where you have several buttons that each do different kinds of attacks/powers.

Yes I understand the genre derives from a WC3 custom map, but so does Pudge Wars. Is Pudge Wars an RTS now because you click to move your character? stupid autistic retards haha

Remove barbarian

Attached: 1561053148804.jpg (1920x1080, 872K)

>real time tactics
When's medieval 3?

Of course. I would spend hours in the AoM scenario editor and building dope ass egyptian temple cities

Level the ones you got.

WB3 leveling is very tedious so there is no good reason to restart if you already have heroes aviable.

Based retard

Not any time soon. They're focused on TW Chinkmanii and Warhammer. Besides, I really don't think a Medieval 3 in the Warscape engine would live up to its name.

>mobas are more comparable to action games where you have several buttons that each do different kinds of attacks/powers
Just like the heroes from WC3, except in that game you are controlling multiple heroes, an army, a base, your economy, etc

I never said ASSFAGGOTS is RTS, but it's a derived "genre" that dumbs down the mechanics of WC3 to the bare minimum.

Attached: c4a.jpg (238x192, 9K)

bought it on sale, the game didn't even start because of some software issue but I never bothered to figure out why.

AoE1:DE made sense because AoE1 had a lot of shitty archaic things about it that made it not very fun for a modern RTS player, but AoE2 is already a great game on its own, which is why they made AoE2:HD to up the resolution and add little tiny QoL fixes. From what I can tell AoE2:DE isn't doing much to the game play of AoE2:HD except for maybe better AI pathing. The rest of it is just making a "prettier" AoE2, so it's hard to see who it's meant to appeal to.

So far it looks like AoE2 fans are treating it like a fun novelty. I guess the plan is like you said to attract zoomers who are put off by the old graphics of AoE2:HD. But will they even want to play an RTS game?

Sim city fags are the fucking worst. They enter online games and then bitch and moan when they get attacked.

Are you unaware that the HD version is using the same old shitty netcode from the 90s and is running on an old engine that can't play multiplayer properly?

The AI in the HD is cheating, and there are a ton of things that is lacking from the game. With the Definitive edition we'll get a completely reworked AI, 4k graphics with zoom, a new engine where all the old buildings are remade with more detail, things like queueing up new farms / fish traps, and other nice features that you can turn on/off in the options menu.

I don't have a lot of experience with it, Medieval 2 is just the TW I played the most and would love to see it with a much less garbage UI. Loved the roleplay I could do with it too.

Not me.

It has major problems with online. If you drop, you can't rejoin. DE is supposedly going to fix that. I'll wait and see what the reviews are like though or get it on sale.

Yeah, I've played most of the TW games and Med2 is still my favorite. Give a try to some mods if you haven't already (Stainless Steel for historical accuracy, Third Age+Divide and Conquer for lord of the rings).

Question for people here.
Why do you think Halo wars 2, and AoE4 and all the DE versions are being greenlit?
I think heared once that Phil spencer likes AoE so much...
But could be true that he pushed to do it?
I mean, There is no modern real playerbase to make this many RTS....
Unless they are super cheap to make compared to other super AAA money maker games.

Attached: HaloWars2_1.jpg (1024x576, 229K)

That's not because they're cityfags, that's because they're big fucking babies.

they are billions is okay

>The AI in the HD is cheating
Actually the new AI in HD doesn't cheat. The old one used to. You can toggle between the two. Though I think maybe the new AI cheats in the absolutely hardest setting. Also you can download AI mods as well for HD so you can play against a bunch of different computer players. Some pros even released AIs they created based on how they themselves would play.

>things like queueing up new farms / fish traps,
Can't you already do that?

They simply saw how well AoE HD did and how much of a community it has and decided to cash in, simple as.

Honestly i still play rome 2 modded because the setting is half of it.
>attila to charly is alright
>i like 40k but warhammer fantasy is generic and boring
>medieval Britain is done to death and is boring
>medieval china seems intresting, but iv not bothered with it yet
Why not
>US revolutionary war, a dedicated game, not a cheap napolean dlc
>US civil war total war
>medieval focused on the middle east and the rise of islam and crusades
>WW1 total war and Russian civil war, its a stretch but its possible

It did that well?
I guess you dont really need the "have 2 million player base" and "sell 20 million copies" so it is viable

LOOKS LIKE HIGH QUALITY 2D IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Attached: aoe2.jpg (3072x1728, 3.44M)

city builders with combat is way better. unless it is company of heroes style where you just build a barracks and summon units from off map. these make for better single player campaigns that starcraft of age of empires

anybody play this?

Attached: 66787-rise-of-nations-rise-of-legends-windows-front-cover.jpg (800x1114, 172K)

I mean, it's not stellar level of success, but for a game that is 20 years old, yeah, it has a very active community and like 15k concurrent players on average. I don't think they redid it from scratch either but rather improved bits and pieces, there are still some bugs that were present originally (like the Mangudai firing his arrow before the animation completes), so it wasn't that much work comparatively.

Spellforce 3 would let up to 4 players divide the control of military units, heroes, production and villagers (IIRC) of a single faction in any way they wanted. So say, one would only play with heroes, one would play with the economy and base, and one would control the military. To me the idea sounded terrific. You could pull in players from games like Dota and Sim City to play what they're used to in an RTS setting. I don't think that the game was too successful tho...

>Slav set finally looks good

Attached: 1527961940641.jpg (558x528, 41K)

I'm playing through Halo Wars 2 right now and it's fun.
What does Yea Forums think of it?

Attached: ZxxHBq6j-Atriox .medium.jpg (800x400, 30K)

>used to play AoE with all my friends
>my new friends don't care about RTS games
Not sure if I could start playing it only to get rekt online by people who's been playing it for decades

which fan projects are good? you've got me interested

>Honestly i still play rome 2 modded because the setting is half of it.
That's true. I just can't get into Thrones of Brittania or Warhammer for that reason. It just seems bland

>Why not US revolutionary war, a dedicated game, not a cheap napolean dlc
TW is in dire need of a new game set in the era of muskets. Empire was such a big fucking let down when it could have been so great.
>US civil war total war
That was kind of what FoTS did, at least when it comes to level tech.
>medieval focused on the middle east and the rise of islam and crusades
Broken crescent, bro
>WW1 total war and Russian civil war, its a stretch but its possible
I don't think the TW formula works well with modern warfare. It's more of a squad based affair like CoH.

Plenty of beginner and ''noob lobbies'' in multiplayer, don't worry about sucking.

You can queue up farms in HD by paying wood upfront. In DE, you can set auto-reseed so vills will reseed as needed, paying when neened. Not a big deal.
You still can't do things like auto-queuing villagers in TC forever which was already a feature in AoM. I bet muh pros are to blame for that.

Zooming out is the biggest gameplay change they're making, really.

i did but i was too young to really know what i was doing

Focusing on the competitive scene killed RTS.

Pathing is also supposedly a lot better

just in time for the nerfs

Isn't that what keeps RTS alive?

The main reason RTS died is because people stick to the ''old games'' and refuse to buy the new ones. Supporting new releases is the best thing we can do, because creating an RTS game is quite expensive and a big risk for developers.

>Isn't that what keeps RTS alive?
No, what's what makes publishers push utter turds like DoW III on the market. DoW III is the game that killed the Dawn of War franchise, of course. So no.

Watch PiG! He's got some of the best content for learning the game. Neuro is good for zerg too.

dont bother watching pros at first. 95% of the stuff they focus on is the very fine details. You need to grasp the fundamentals of sc2 before you should bother thinking about pro play

Nobody asked for DoW 3. Publishers are trying to move away from the base building RTS games, and always try to innovate the genre by coming up with something different and gimmicky.

You can only complete a singleplayer campaign so many times before you move on. What keeps these old RTS games alive is competitiveness / skirmish against other players or the AI.

How about we play the good new RTS games that come out instead of stubbornly sticking to old ones, or more likely, pretending to play the old ones for boomer cred?

Yes and no. Competitive scene does keep a RTS alive far longer like you saw with Brood War but you also saw games like RA3 immediately try to gun for a competitive scene at the expense of having a decent and enjoyable game instead of naturally having one pop up from player interest.

I don't, I only had fun playing campaigns, and against my irl friends who could play even less than I did
Makes me wonder how easy the campaigns were supposed to be, as I could beat them all but my clueless ass was handed a couple of minutes in in MP

>Nobody asked for DoW 3.
The fuck do you know? People asked for it, just not in this form. Problem is, the execs in that company probably saw how MoBA and esports were "the thing" among young people so they pushed it to be shaped like that.
>Publishers are trying to move away from the base building RTS games, and always try to innovate the genre by coming up with something different and gimmicky.
So, the RTS genre is not being kept alive then?
>You can only complete a singleplayer campaign so many times before you move on
You realize there are countless other ways to play a game besides muh competitive multiplayer? Custom maps, custom campaigns, comp stomps, diplomacy maps.
Apart from being completely contradictory and facetious, your post just ignores the fact that the problem is not in the competitive aspect of a game itself, it's that this aspect has been cannibalizing the rest progressively over the years and shaping the games to come. People like to strawman this argument by saying "hurr you don't like playing a game to win if you don't like multiplayer". Playing a game to win is fine. Competitive nowadays means much more than that and we both know it.
Or how about you stop being a whiny faggot and let people enjoy their old games?