Why did Nintendo give the anime rights to draw the official Zelda manga to two literal whos?

Why did Nintendo give the anime rights to draw the official Zelda manga to two literal whos?
They didn't even play any of the games.

also BOTW manga when?

Attached: 465uibx3rro01.jpg (3024x4032, 1.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

flickr.com/photos/historyofhyrule/sets/72157634681811319/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Those are some cute boys user

They are actually two women.
They did not play the games so the stories are completely different and the artstyle is nothing to brag about either.
Baffling.

>They didn't even play any of the games.
that's great. I love when I hear that a property is being made into something and the director of the project isn't familiar with the source material. It creates the opportunity for new ideas and for the artist to express themselves more honestly. I can't think of anything worse than a franchise being appropriated to a different media and it being 100% faithful to the source material.

I'm saying all the links on the xovers are cute boys

weak

Oh shit, they did a Twilight Princess one? I have those coloured trade paperbacks of the other stuff Viz put out a few years ago and really enjoyed them.

MY LINK FIGMA HAS BEEN STUCK IN CUSTOMS FOR A WEEK, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

explain why you think so, cartman

Have they not done Links Awakening?

Yeah and it's the only manga they did with a continious story that follows the game.
6 tanks so far in nippon

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1400x1400, 194K)

Nobody else wanted to do it.

Nope
As if there is big money in that shit.
The strange thing is the two women aka "Akira Himekawa" were asked to draw OOT.

They did play the games, read their comments and afterwords. It's impossible to directly adapt Zelda games with Link being silent, the little amount of plot and active side characters and the focus on dungeons. Still, some of their manga suck while some are alright.

Also, there were Zelda manga by other authors in the past, including Link's Awakening by Shotaro Ishinomori.

Remember when Katsuya Terada had a period doing work for Nintendo in the early '90s?

Attached: 933d599dab9c8b95386705f36e55231b.jpg (500x778, 110K)

>They did play the games
They played "some" of OOT and did not even finish it.
Imagine if Jackson read "some" of The Lord of the Rings before making his movies.

No but holy shit does this look great

flickr.com/photos/historyofhyrule/sets/72157634681811319/

Attached: 9312151470_035a22a560_o.png (2024x941, 3.82M)

That's just not true.
Maybe for the earlier ones, but they've played TP.

A: shelves with reference material
C: Honda's work desk
D: Nagano's work desk
room in the bottom middle: game room

Attached: room.jpg (3800x3024, 2.95M)

Yeah, it was the height of Zelda art.

And there's plenty of non-Himekawa Zelda mangas, they've just not been translated

Attached: himekawa.jpg (2532x3831, 3.58M)

No wonder TP is their best one by far.
OOT sucked.

Tokyopop is still around?

Their previous ones were used by Nintendo as mere marketing for the respective games, so they only paid for one or two volumes each and they ended up being rushed and underwhelming. Nowadays the Zelda manga have a big following worldwide so they can afford standing as their own product and be considerably longer, even without the game they're adapting being new.

Link's Awakening is the best Zelda manga if we aren't counting the Windwaker 4komas. The main problem with the various manga is that they're too damn short for a decent adaptation, meanwhile LA of all series gets two full volumes to flesh itself out.

He also did artwork for stuff like Secret of Mana, and it's pretty funny to see Mana's protagonist rendered in full Conan the Barbarian style. Zelda ended up being the best fit for his style.

Attached: Secret of Mana Terada 2.png (1012x805, 587K)

Dude looks more like Simon Belmont with that square jaw.

Attached: Secret of Mana Terada 6.png (766x758, 1.15M)

Attached: Mystic Quest collection.jpg (1051x1020, 548K)

In germany
It's a separate company from Tokypop US, so they didn't go bankrupt

Oh. I thought they had unfucked their own shit up somehow and there'd be the possibility of a GTO manga rerelease and a rerelease of the dub cause my copies are fucked

>Why did Nintendo give the anime rights to draw the official Zelda manga to two literal whos?
Because most big name artists want to work on their own stuff, not a licensed propriety. This isn't the comics industry. Most tie-in manga to games are done by unknown people nowadays.

>Also, there were Zelda manga by other authors in the past, including Link's Awakening by Shotaro Ishinomori.

Licensed manga by bigger authors actually used to be more common up to the early 90s since there were many author who constantly worked in multiple short series one after another so it was easier to fit an adaptation like that in their schedule.

this is funny because it's pretty obvious that fueda would be a great director for the series

I'd actually like to see him have a stab at some Castlevania stuff.

For God's sake Dark Horse, reprint his Monkey King manga already!