Persona

I've heard nothing but good stuff about this game. But I don't know where to start. Do I just start on P5 or do I need to play the other games to get the story?

Attached: D27878FD-B69E-4160-8B89-DD2121C617E6-9355-00000CAE57506F74.jpg (220x312, 23K)

was in the same position as u a few months ago user, just buy it and avoid persona threads until you finish. Its good

stories are self contained but take place in the same universe
you don't need to play the older games but you may miss references that's not important to the story

So it's like JoJo then?

As someone who doesn't like anime and has never played a persona before this, I can 100% recommend. Spent my whole summer last year enjoying it

Play them in order from start to finish. You haven't earned the right to play Persona 5.

I would actually recommend you start on P5 so the twist villains aren't so blatantly obvious.
They're still obvious enough to figure out but it's not as bad as a reused character with a similar name.

Attached: edfaaf9f-9bde-426a-8d67-3284e9e496ae.jpg (800x450, 50K)

Is persona 4 any good? Got a PSvita and might pick it up. Already played and completed ng+ p5 as a preface.
and Yes I know what happens already, so you faggots don't bother hitting me with 10 year old spoilers.

similar to that, but important characters don't really cross over
you won't find a main character in a previous game being a supporting character in a sequel for example
each game has a different cast of characters, new antagonist, new story, etc

If you have a Vita, you might as well get it. The story is obvious but the game has fun social links and a good OST.

I had heard that the first 3 games were a lot different in gameplay, should I really?
Can I play the previous ones via emulators or is it just 10 fps with missing textures.

Don't fall for the "P1 and P2 are good" meme. Atlus doesn't even acknowledge those games. Persona started at 3.

The Persona games are made for friendless losers as can be seen by the insane amount of Persona waifu threads on this board.

SMT does everything Persona does without the embarrassing schoolgirl romances.

3 and 4 runs decently on a PS2 emulator. If you're not sure what you're getting into, I recommend 5 first then checking out the older games if you enjoyed 5.

Goro is the traitor
Adachi is the traitor
Igor is fake and is actually an evil god.
Ending sucks, Shido gets arrested. The ending is you just go home with your pals. Now pay additional money to play the real persona 5.

But recent SMT games have been fucking garbage, ugly flat games.

I think the writing is incredibly predictable. I feel they were going for the "it's so anime it's funny" approach with a lot of it, but it doesn't come off as irony or sarcasm, it just comes off as bad writing. The English voices certainly don't help either. Just about every character will do and say exactly what their anime-archetype would say, regardless of any sort of tone the rest of the plot is trying to set.

The villains are cartoon versions of modern-day evil. You have the sex-offender, the loan shark(?), the ceo of McDonald's, and the sex-offending evil politician(wow).

All of your confidant dialogue-trees are rife with the supporting character just jerking off Joker. Some of them are exclusively that.

Less objective, but I thought the palaces were pretty bad overall. I don't remember any part of any palace feeling "fun".

The combat is fine, but it's just that.

I really don't know why so many people like this game. I've never heard a good argument as to why this game isn't garbage, so if anyone wants to chime in, please do. But I think this game is awful personally.

Door-kun fucking dies but not really, then turns into a door

I somewhat agree with you. Futaba outside her arc was a bit annoying.
In fact, all 3 girls kinda ruined the dynamic. It should've just stayed as You/Ryuji/Yusuke/Ann/Morgana(please kill the fucking cat).

I felt like the writing was inconsistent and they really didn't know what they're going for. The calling card scene for Shido actually was pretty cringy. Kamoshida and Madarame were good but everything else was a bit...too hammy?

I liked it but honestly it felt so inconsistent with the writing being really good at times to xD we're the phantom thieves!!! Let's gooo leader! You got this ;)

never played a jrpg before
tried playing persona 4 and got bored 3 hours in a few years ago
played persona 5 a week ago and i didnt stop playing until it beat it
now im going to go back to persona 4 and play that while waiting for persona 5 royal

Adachi is the killer
Nanako dies
Gas station attendant is a god and gave you powers.

>Figure out the """"""twist"""""" villain as soon as they talk about you know what
>When the game "reveals" the twist villain at LeBlanc they spend 20 fucking minutes beating you over the head about what a great """twist""" it is and how everyone knew all along

Attached: 1560877703838.jpg (552x552, 26K)

Wait for Royal to come out

>Goro is the traitor
anyone with a braincell knew this
>Igor is fake and is actually an evil god
anyone who played the other personas knew this

Fucking based

Nah the 20 minute explanation was there to meticulously explain the whole metaverse interrogation room and Joker getting shot in the face but still living thing.
It really needed the explanation because it was a convoluted fucking mess.

It’s too early to start seething

They were totally being cheeky and wanted you to think he's a red herring.

But that wasn’t the twist. The twist was that they knew about him and what he trying to do to them.

He skipped the dialogue because he thought he knew it all and was trying to convince himself he's above anime tropes.

They need to have more balls and make the twist villain an actual long term party member. Make it Yusuke or some shit, he does nothing after his arc

That’s retarded.

Or actually make him the villain after Shido.
He's basically a fucking henchman who does nothing of importance after his reveal

More retarded then making an obviously evil member join you for 1 dungeon? It was also an example you illiterate fuckwad. The point it, make it someone that will actually surprise us.

>Dojima was supposed to be the killer and Adachi the red herring
Fuck you, retards like you is why we can't have good things

Just tell me why it's good. It's okay to like something that isn't good, but stop claiming the game is good if you don't have any real reasons.

That’s retarded.

>More retarded then making an obviously evil member join you for 1 dungeon?
No because they weren’t trying to hide it in the first place.
The game has been out for 3 years and you retards still think that Akechi being evil was the big twist.

That's fucking retarded.

The real twist was that Akechi was an idiot.
>hey guy's I'm not the traitor hint hint

>The twist was that they knew about him and what he trying to do to them
Then it wasn't a twist then was it.

Persona 2 is the best one plot-wise

After P5 you won't be able to play P3. Dungeoncrawl is pure dogshit and inability to control your party members is also cancer.

Kill yourself

>nope you can't use a character on that day because she's sick

>5babs
Yikers

>He's basically a fucking henchman who does nothing of importance
Goro? That's literally the point of his character. he had everything handed to him on a silver platter and wasted it on an edgy middle school-level revenge plot that left him manipulated by everyone around him and ultimately forgotten once he was no longer in the celebrity spotlight he craved. His undeserved status as "the rival" follows the pattern of the antagonists being people who abused their undeserved societal status.

Kill yourself

The game literally tells you in the first twenty minutes that a party member betrays you. It's pathetically obvious it's Akechi from the moment you meet him considering he hates the Phantom Thieves from the get-go, is recurring instead of having a focused arc like everyone else, and is on the fucking box art

Seethe harder. Played them on the release order, P5 is objectively a better designed game than P3.

In what regard? Because I wouldn't say making the game more tedious while removing the ability to blitz dungeons is "better designed"

5 has without a doubt the best gameplay in the Persona series. Emphasis on "Persona series" since I'd still rather play Nocturne for the gameplay. Story-wise though, 3 is second only to the P2 duology

>3 is so fucking terrible that spending as little time as possible actually playing the game is considered a plus
Holy fuck

>Story
2 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 4
>Characters
2EP > 2IS > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4
>Gameplay
5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1
>Soundtrack
3 > 5 > 2 > 4 > 1 PS1 > 1 PSP

It's more that 5 is so terrible that spending more time with it is a negative.
That and it essentially wrests a portion of the time management aspect when you can't complete dungeons in your own time and are at the behest of the game and it's forced exits.

Outside of moments that are part of the preset plot moments and not part of the deadline period, and the "calling card->boss fight" stage that's part of every deadline period and therefore something the player can and should take into account, that happens exactly once.

>that happens exactly once.
Yes, lets just ignore those moments you removed because they defeat your argument shall we?
Also they happen in every single dungeon.

If you're going to talk about not being able to complete dungeons "in your own time" then you should limit your whining to moments that happen when the player is actually in charge of their own time, not preset moments that happen at the same time every playthrough for plot reasons. The only moment that actually messes with the player's time in the deadline period is having to go to the courthouse during Sae's Palace.

Is there a more retarded villain in all of vidya?
>PTs know he's the bad guy way before he even "infiltrates" the PTs
>Does Shido's bidding to get closer to him and even kills Shido's underlings to tie up Shido's loose ends, but somehow doesn't realize that very obviously Shido is going to kill him too
>Literally has an autistic meltdown when he loses
>He has no reason to NOT join you and kill Shido
>Gets killed by himself after "redeeming" himself by saving you
He's beyond incompetent. He doesn't do a single thing right. The whole game he gets used like a fucking $5 whore and gets discarded like a used condom by his Daddy. Everyone else was playing 5D chess while Akechi was playing Connect 4.

Attached: 1523136361136.jpg (1043x911, 127K)

What about Madarame's door?

Plot mandated moment, because that's when you get Yusuke.

>then you should limit your whining to moments that happen when the player is actually in charge of their own time
Which in a game about time management should be the majority of the game, which is something 3 and 4 got right.

>That and it essentially wrests a portion of the time management aspect when you can't complete dungeons in your own time and are at the behest of the game and it's forced exits.
You can complete all dungeons in one day, except for Madarame and Sae where you have to "change their cognition in the real world" or whatever

Or when you get ejected from Okumura's

Yeah but doesn't it still mess with your time management?

>You can complete all dungeons in one day
Ignoring the fact that the calling card takes up a day in and of itself more often than not it takes at least 3.

>Which in a game about time management should be the majority of the game
And it is. It's just that in 5 the time management happens mainly whenever the player has a dungeon to clear, which is why the dungeon deadlines are so long, as opposed to 4 which had short dungeon deadlines with time management and SoL filler between dungeons.

he's not the villain, retard. the actual villain is the most competent villain since nyarly, which isn't saying much.

>It's just that in 5 the time management happens mainly whenever the player has a dungeon to clear
Just like every game.
I don't think you quite understand what's being said.

Please stop trying to talk about series you obviously haven't played. I don't feel like typing an essay to point out all the ways you're factually wrong.

Does this game require reaction times at all? I want to play something on remote play but there's massive input lag so anything with with action based combat is out of the question. I know the combat is turn based but what about running around and stuff?

>I don't feel like typing an essay to point out all the ways you're factually wrong.
So what you're trying to say is that you realised you were wrong but refuse to admit it.

Outside of probably fishing which is optional no.

No, that would be you actually. He's saying that in 5 the deadlines for each dungeon are longer with the vast majority of the time management parts being in that deadline period, so that the period after the dungeon can be used primarily for plot advancement until the next deadline period starts. The majority of the in-game days are still under the player's control, the game just puts as many of those as possible in a dungeon deadline period. By comparison, 4 has those split roughly in half between periods where there's a deadline, and periods where you're waiting around for the next dungeon.

>Villains aren't villains unless they're the final boss.
You're an idiot.

I love Fuuka!

Attached: P5 Fuuka.jpg (429x772, 46K)

>He's saying
user, what he's saying does not matter if he can't grasp what this conversation is about. Bringing up the deadlines themselves is absolutely irrelevant to the point as it is.

Do tell what the conversation supposedly is about if you think it's not about how much control the player has over the time management aspect of the game.

>He's saying that in 5 the deadlines for each dungeon are longer
Not him but when you account for the days lost by forced ejections and the calling card they come out either the same or shorter.

>I've heard nothing but good stuff about this game
Hard to believe but okay
>Where to start
start with 5. None of the games are related to each other unless your an SMT mega-fan

Is it really that hard for you to read back along a reply chain.
Granted you are attempting to defend a strawman so it's not like I should expect much.

It was only a convoluted mess because they had to actively remove story details so you wouldn't figure it out.
Because nothing makes for a great plot element like "I forgot I did that"
The game is so fucking smug of itself for that twist. Like "I bet you thought we were going to do P4's twist again, but we actually did this other thing"
It forgets that the clever part of a plot-twist comes with how the details for it are left prior in the story in plain sight but made mundane. THAT'S why people like plot-twists, not just Subverting my Expectations (tm)

>forced ejections
This only happens once during an actual deadline period, when the player has full control over their time management, the others happen during plot-mandated lead-ups to the deadline period.

>and the calling card
Two days per deadline, whereas the deadline periods in 5 are typically twice the length of the ones in 4.

Typically, can't actually respond so he deflects, obviously can't handle losing the argument.

Hard to believe since the "actual" villains are a shitty metaphor and an idiot who hired another idiot

>the others happen during plot-mandated lead-ups to the deadline period
Yusuke joining happens in the deadline period.

>twice the length of the ones in 4.
You aren't taking into account the ejections. For example both Kamoshida and Yukiko both take 12 days despite the being shown as 14.

>For example both Kamoshida and Yukiko
Okay now look at literally all the others, genius.

>This only happens once during an actual deadline period
It happens like, once every dungeon twice including the calling card.

>can't actually respond so he deflects
Are you an idiot?
I'm telling you to read the reply chain before you respond.

>have a week off
>finally I'm gonna play and finish this game
>It's not enough time

JUST

Attached: 1552813548009.jpg (675x1200, 134K)

12 hours a day for 9 days should be enough.

P5 is like 15 bucks right now. Just play it.

Personally I like 3 more than five but there's no denying the gameplay and production values are so much better in 5, I mean Persona 3 gameplay is all just one neverending corridor, Persona 5 has so much more flair

In terms of pure competence, Shido is easily one of the most competent human villains in the franchise. With access only to cognitive research he stole from a research center, and a single edgy teenager with supernatural phone powers, he managed to create a nationwide conspiracy that put himself in charge of all vital societal organs and ready to become head of government in under three years, after which he'd dispose of the aforementioned teenager because he presumably managed to replicate said teenager's abilities without receiving them from a god, and then take said abilities worldwide to eventually become the most powerful man on the planet. He took no bullshit from anyone, he regularly disposed of people before they could become a threat to him, and he was able to manipulate the biggest threat he had faced into essentially sabotaging itself. The only reason he failed was because a god decided to send another edgy teenager and his band of misfits to take him down. Even if you include P1 and P2, both games had much more direct involvement from Nyarly, whereas Shido had nobody but himself and his underlings to rely on.

Meanwhile Yaldabaoth literally would have won if he had just straight up murdered Joker in the Velvet Room instead of pulling the "mwahaha I'm so powerful and arrogant, you are no longer a threat so I'll leave you alone to suffer in your impotence" bullshit.

You are objectively incorrect.

>have a family and full time job
>manage to platinum it in 2 weeks

It does help that I had recently done the same with 4 and knew all the tricks like maxing all your stats ASAP

Wow, such a compelling argument. It totally removes those ejections.

Can't remove what isn't there to begin with

Are you trying to say the game doesn't exist.