Take the indie pill

Take the indie pill.

Fuck AAA games.

Attached: ii.jpg (900x900, 285K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zkd-0XqzX4Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

all of those are garbage compared to based japanese games. stop shilling this trash.

isn't TM owned by Ubishit?

Indie games are garbage. They're for people who think they're smarter than the AAA consuming retards, despite the fact that the games are actually just as dumbed down and simple. Take the real pill and play games made before 2007.

At least show some good indies.

Here's a better picture of all the best indies of the eighth gen OP, also Trackmania and Geometry Wars 3 Dimensions aren't indie

Attached: 9 Greatest Eighth Gen Indies Ver 2.jpg (920x920, 357K)

low IQ post

Spelunky is my favorite indie by far but i thought Bastion was shit.

This one is fedora tier

Indies are where all the innovation happens these days, AAA studios too afraid to deviate from the formulas they've given themselves

*triggers Yea Forums*

Attached: sanscolored.png (280x370, 1K)

>build $2,000USD computer
>only use it to play indie games

Psh, nothing personal kid

>Fedora tier
>Suggests games that everyone has played like Hollow Knight, Binding of Isaac and Stardew Valley

Devil May Cry 5 and Remake were worth it!!

Attached: 1532648481287.gif (647x363, 650K)

I just like good games (and stories) regardless of genre or industry standing.

Attached: good games.png (969x1320, 2.68M)

Indies and dwindling AA games are what are propping up the industry's creativity.

Attached: Pyre__Sandra.png (1100x1100, 763K)

n++ is a blast to play with friends, especially when you have one dipshit suiciding right before beating the hard levels (seriously). i have it as my ps4 background

>witcher 3
>good game
you really did have me going there with the first 8 games though, user

hotline miami is the only one here that isn't garbage.
And mjority of these devs are either hipsters or SJW shills

I like the characters and atmosphere. Also the story outside the third act. Hearts of Stone is among the best video game stories. Ever.
2020 is going to be a good year
>Hades gets out of early Access
>Haven
>Darkest Dungeon 2
>Cyberpunk 2077
>Bloodlines 2 (Unless they fuck that up which they likely will)

Attached: 20180121023249_1.jpg (1920x1080, 324K)

Furi is great, Hollow Knight is great, Nex Machina is great, TBoIR is good, Factorio is autism tier but decent, Stardew Valley is autism tier garbage, and I never played Baba but it is puzzle game so I have no interest. Might try Rain World (although if it's Metroidvania I probably won't like it.

WHERE THE FUCK IS IT VALVE

Attached: 1533538722905.jpg (1280x720, 149K)

witcher 3 is in the same boat as New Vegas and VTMB tho. liked by people who will excuse trash gameplay because the setting/plot/characters are good.

All good except TW3 which is complete garbage. Also found Transistor to be highly overrated but still decent

I so do want VTMB2 to be good. But I don't want to over-hype it based on nothing but a cinematic trailer and some janky combat previews either....

Attached: ora_ora_ora_by_sei_ey_da5a7jd-fullview.jpg (1024x576, 85K)

New Vegas has good mission design, characters, story, writing, and the RPG mechanics are fun (even if the actual shooting and movement is not that great). TW3 is painfully bad in literally every single aspect except the story

>Play this shitty jrpg.
No thanks.

Yeah. They also seem reluctant to discuss details unlike Cyberpunk.
Mitosda writing is an extremely good sign the plot and characters will be nice.

Transistor just resonates with me so much and I adore the world. The idea of everything being changeable upon the whims of the masses, the effect this has on individuals and all wrapped in a beautiful love story.
That said, it does suffer from being a rather short story and Pyre takes the cake of "best Story Supergiant has made" But the Transistor gameplay is interesting. An intriguing take on turn-based.
Hades is their best game. It has deep gameplay and still hits all the atmosphere and story notes. Just needs to get off the Epic store first.

TW3 has boring gameplay but nothing frustrating outside of crafting (Fuck at least its better then bloodlines melee combat). It also has genuinely good writing and quest design. As well as all the polish expected from a AAA game. I get the feeling a big dislike of it is just pure contrarianism from the fact that its an RPG popular among the general populace.

Plus its the closest I'll get to a full Warhammer RPG

Attached: pyre all-stars.jpg (1280x705, 136K)

>suggests games that every fedorafag played

>painfully bad in literally every single aspect except the story
>bad graphics
>bad visual design
>bad soundtrack
Witcher 3 is the hallmark for QUALITY in video games, everything about it is a notch above the standard, even if that standard is exceedingly low at present
There isn't a single thing in W3 that is outstandingly bad, except for the handholding and insulting gameplay decisions with batman vision and such
>claiming the story is good
The delivery is great, the actual content is dull at best

Attached: 1559763415211.jpg (613x635, 44K)

I'm having doubts about VTMB2 after revisiting the first again. I don't know how much of it is nostalgia but aside from the concept it has not aged well at all on many different levels. I really hope the devs don't think they can slack on the jank because it's "nostalgic" like Fighting Layer EX did.

>metroidvania
oh boy, you're in for a wild ride

>stardew valley
>autism tier

I wanna honk her nose

The quest design is actually the worst I have ever seen in an RPG. Literally EVERY single quest is just follow the red line, kill trash mobs, go back to questgiver. The combat is atrociously bad. The upgrades and armor/weapons are MMO levels of bad and just feel like arbitrary stat changes. Also, their is basically no choice or freedom.

The story and characters are mildly interesting, but when it is so on-rails which such a shit uninteresting world outside of missions, and even in missions it's so fucking repetitive and cookie cutter, playing just feels like a chore.

I genuinely don't understand how people enjoy TW3. With most games I don't enjoy, I can acknowledge that they are still decent games, they just don't appeal to me. I don't see any appeal at all in TW3.

The gameplay is not only shallow, repetitive and too easy, its also restricting when it comes to basic character controls and attacks. Geralts attacks are based on range to the enemy, which means he may do swing X or swing Y depending on the range from the enemy. With enemies dashing in and out of these ranges, the attack animations and their timings are super inconsistent and often lead to one shot deaths on Death March, the only semi challenging difficulty in the game. Every single melee weapon in the game feels exactly the same just with slightly different damage values. Enemy health is inconsistent, and sometimes enemies will literally take 100+ hits just because they're arbitrarily a higher level. Then you level up and they die in a few hits even if your skills are exactly the same. Your gear is useless because the game has no challenge and combat is so piss-easy and repetitive.

The enemy design is also laughable with basic 1-2 punches and recovery animations after getting hit once on every single enemy. Why does Djikstra share the same moveset with a Wild Hunt soldier you fight with Keira Metz?

The quest design is fucking braindead and clearly made for children who had difficulty with a coloring book. Every single quest is just following the red trail which means the gameplay outside of combat boils down to walking around in circles while spamming X so Geralt can shove some more generic exposition down your throat.

The main quest is basically super mario in poland where Geralt travels from one location to another, each populated by a billion different cunts who need him to go pick flowers and kill grunts for pennies just so the game has content. This is especially bad in Novigrad, where the entire runtime of the quest is you running from A to B on a constant train of dialogue-athon and nothing fucking else.

Literally every objective quality of TW3 is something you could experience on youtube, free of charge and dull repetitive "gameplay"

Countless bugs aside, the only things I think don't hold up are the long-ass combat sections and the clearly rushed ending.

Otherwise I still think the general writing, atmosphere, voice-work, and art design are still top tier. The game was never a gem mechanically, but it had a lot of personality that shined through.

Attached: vtmb_blood mage.png (618x800, 198K)

>Also, their is basically no choice or freedom.
Objectively false.
Let's look at the Bloody Baron pathline.
At the encounter with his men at the inn fighting them forces you to sneak into his keep. Later the choice with the Whispering Hillock effects the ending of that questline.
Dialogue choices with Ciri throughout the entire game after you save her effect the ending and epilogue zone in its entirety.
Dijkstra's attitude towards you is dependent on if you rescue his treasure
The decision to make with Kiera at the end of her questline where saying the wrong thing can result in a bad ending
Choice of who to romance. Attempting to do both locks you out of both.
Choice of who to help become king of Skellige. Even if you ignore the quest you still get a full-fledged ending for Skellige.
Choice of who to support during the Reasons of State quest and decide who wins the war. Or alternatively allow Radovid to win by refusing to participate in his assassination.
Furthermore, choices throughout the game and in the previous game will allow characters to appear at Kaer Morhenn.
In Hearts of Stone you must pick and choose who to assemble in your heist crew.
In Hearts of Stone you decide Iris' fate whether it is better to have her move on or not.
Also in Hearts of Stone you can aid Olgierd or not. This decides his fate and your reward.
The ending to Blood and Wine is dependent upon choice and a seemingly insignificant choice performed earlier in the story.

There's plenty of choice and more then that there is good writing.
When people complain a game lacks choices they want a game to be like a tabletop-rpg where they the only limit is their imagination and they can think up any solution to any problem. They want an experience perfectly tailored for them. Not a video game with limitations.

Attached: SHHH KID.jpg (514x796, 158K)

I think context is an important consideration for quests in W3, if you just view any of them from a gameplay perspective they'll always look like a shitty WoW quest but the overall quality of voice acting and other fluff surrounding it elevates the entire thing to a decently enjoyable time. Most people don't mind this overall mediocrity and since W3 is consistent in its quality of content, if nothing else, it stands out a great deal.

I don't enjoy the combat a lot either, it's very dull, there's nothing that gets my juices flowing mechanics wise. The only standout thing again is the quality of the animations, the visceral detail and the powerful audio to go with it.
There's a cool mod for Witcher 2 that basically fixes most of the issues I had with the combat, it's called "rise of the sword". I recommend checking that out
I believe most of the appeal comes from the "Witcher" universe, the characters and the lore. Anyone that played the previous games and enjoyed them will have a good time here as well, there's a lot of referencing and a bunch of "I recognize/remember that" moments that make the player feel as though their time investment in previous games hasn't been forgotten.
Another big part is obviously the atmosphere in the game, I can't necessarily explain it but it's just there.

People like obviously went into the game with the wrong expectations, I wanted a comfy slow ride to the finish line and that's what I got. A low simmer experience with a couple high points, consistently enjoyable

Attached: 1514654683340.png (538x491, 144K)

>ignore my entire post except one line
>in an 80 hour game, you can count all the decisions in the game on one hand, and they are superficial
Woah... so this is the power of Witchertards...

Attached: 1444706283425.jpg (900x900, 57K)

yeah guys.... jrpgs are SUPER problematic. you need to play some woke indie games instead.

Attached: 1559538079114.gif (273x205, 2.59M)

You brought up shit about gameplay. Acting like the Witcher 3 should've had Furi level of gameplay.
Look at a game like Bloodlines.
People dont remember that game for its gameplay. They remember it for the story, atmosphere, writing and characters. In those aspects the Witcher 3 and the witcher series in general has done superbly. Look at Hearts of Stone. Not only does it have interesting twists on classic fantasy tales but it carries with it a genuine theme and message of the mistakes a man can make.
Blood and Wine has the most atmospheric fantasy zone in gaming. Nothing matches Toussaint. It's beautiful and stands out even in the rest of the game which is filled with atmospheric and detail-filled areas. not to mention the music, always fitting. All this creates a great atmosphere.
The voice acting is top-notch and the major characters all stand out from eachother with their own personalities.
It has memorable side-quests, short dark fantasy stories exemplifying the nature of the world.

Man isnt this thread about Indie games? How come me saying I liked the Witcher 3 turned into this?

Attached: CHESS.jpg (1631x854, 207K)

Except there is a big difference between something like New Vegas and TW3. One has good quest design with multiple branching options, freedom in the environment where exploration is actually fun and you can approach missions in many ways and explore different locations and towns separate from the main quest, dialogue that actually impacts missions instead of just being generic exposition shit, and RPG mechanics that allow you to create your own customized and unique character and playstyle. The missions also tell you about the environment, the people, and its history. The other basically has dozens of hours of quests that consist of "follow the red line and kill trash mobs" and are completely meaningless fetch quests for 5 minutes of exposition. There is nothing to do in the world except pick useless fucking flowers, and it is all just a superficial painting as you ride your horse on the prescripted path to the next story mission.

It's just fucking awful.

No.. JRPGs are just incredibly boring and repetitive and braindead

>There is nothing to do in the world except pick useless fucking flowers, and it is all just a superficial painting as you ride your horse on the prescripted path to the next story mission.
False. There is plenty to do. There are side-quests in plenty of locations around the world which the main quest never gets near spitting distance. There is stuff just hidden throughout the game. There's the entire Gwent mini-game.

New Vegas is great but its not the sort of RPG Witcher 3 is.
The Witcher 3 is like Deus Ex in terms of RPG elements. You have a predefined character and story-path. New vegas is a free-form game where you choose your faction and largely decide your character. Like Bloodlines. Does it come down to hunting monsters and dealing with humans with two swords, magic and alchemy. Yeah because that's who Geralt is. He comes from books. He isn't meant to be someone you completely create and control. He's just the protagonist of the story and he is given plenty of characterization. He's a cynical outsider but loyal to his few friends and family. He's hypocritical. How he quotes the Witcher code but it's just something he made up to really get out of deals he dislikes.

You read a novel with a narrative around a single character and expected a choose your own adventure book.

Attached: 20180113180501_1.jpg (1920x1080, 246K)

EVERY SIDEQUEST IS THE EXACT SAME FOLLOW THE FUCKING RED TRAIL AND KILL TRASH MOBS RINSE AND REPEAT GARBAGE.

Gwent is LITERALLY the ONLY side content in the game that is even remotely interesting and even then you realize how shallow it is when you get the full deck and play against the top players and there is basically just one braindead strategy that works.

Christ, you are so fucking delusional man. Just play your """game""" on youtube if you care so much about jerking off to generic fantasy garbage, there is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to the gameplay of TW3

This is literally almost quest in the game:
>*Whistle for magic horse*
>*autorun on road to quest marker*
>toucan scan vision activates
>"Mhhm... Giants slash marks all over the victim... A drowner™ gotta be...
>"Come on, roach"
>*Follow nose*
>Guys in drowners™ costumes appears
>"OY BLOODY 'ELL FUKKIN CUNT SHIT FUCK CUNT ITS A FUCKIN' WITCHER IT IS, GET' EM"
>"shit, you stink"
>ALAALALALALALLAALALALA
>*set guys on fire and they stumble and recover immediately, does a cinematic slash and cuts guy in half*
>"Mmhh... Bandits™ pretending to be drowners™, better tell the village head about it"
>"come on, roach"
>*Autorun back to the village*
>"OY BLOODY FUCKIN CUN WITCHAH, WOT ABOUT DAT CONTRACT WESE PAID YA FOR YA BLOODU FUCKIN CUNT?"
>"Just some bastard posng as drowners ™, here's proofs*show flipper*
>"OY KURWA, HERS DA REWARD THE VILLAGE CHIPPED IN FOR YA"
>"drowning in danger" complete
>AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>10 crowns received

I just take issue with it because all the other games you posted are pretty good and realizing TW3 is a bad game is a litmus test for overall taste

>using a copypasta as proof
C'mon man. You are using such gross over-exaggeration. Yeah quests use the red search ability. So? They are still different.
What about that side-quest where the same incompetent poor knight keeps challenging you?
What about the one investigating the murders in Novigrad where you can easily accuse the wrong person?
What about the Kiera side-quest where you must solve a riddle to find a lamp?
What about the one where you try to find a man's soldier brother using his dog and find he is with a wounded enemy soldier who's fate you must then decide?
What about ivnestigating the mystery behind the tower full of ice and whether or not you belive the ghost's story?
What about the fact you say all mobs are the same but every major monster behaves differently? A Leshen does not attack like a Gryphon.

You are being entirely disingenuous and attempting to claim a U.I. element is a sign of creative absence.

Attached: 20180118031700_1.jpg (1920x1080, 262K)

>"stop shilling this trash"
>proceeds to shill weeb shit
and into the trash it goes

Not an argument.

you would ragequit at the matador fight in nocturne.
without """weebshit,""" indie games wouldn't exist because they'd have no classic japanese games to rip off.

NECRODANCERS RISE UP

Attached: TRY AGAIN.jpg (285x200, 15K)

What games are you anons looking forward too?

Recently I learned about pic related, really love the aesthetic of it, looks like a early 2000's cartoon network show.
youtube.com/watch?v=zkd-0XqzX4Y

Attached: DtMACGQU0AAGfgF.jpg (663x1200, 127K)

Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Bastion, and Super Meat Boy are trash
Nex Machina and Geometry Wars 3 are good
Haven't played the rest

I like good games and sometimes they're low budget, sometimes they're high budget. Stop thinking that budgets make a difference.

>Hotline Miami, Bastion,
>Trash
Explain your logic

They're both incredibly casual and boring games. HM also looks ugly as sin.

quality criticism

Give me some fast paced action RPG(ish) game names.
Those are 2 of my favorite games, I wish I could have more games in the same vein.

Attached: 1548963258478.png (960x1080, 1.94M)

>Spelunky is trash
t. shitter who blames the "RNG" for unfair deaths and not his own incompetence

>JRPG
>hard
Yeah, no.

HM is checkpoint happy, just like Super Meat Boy. It waters down every challenge. Bastion is way too slow for me, it's not stimulating. Don't like my criticism? Oh well.

Anyone try out the Children of Morta demo yet? I will be after work.

Actually I blame the RNG for the awful and forgettable game design.

Dead Cells, Terraria, Rogue Legacy, Hollow Knight, Bastion/Transistor/Pyre,

People with taste skipped at least 2/3 of those games.

Bastion? I love it. 10/10. But I can see how someone of a different disposition would find it boring/casual.
Hotline Miami. Yeah. It's ugly. It's basic pixel-shit. But it's well-detailed. The environment tells stories, where Jacket last ate, clippings of his newspapers showing he relishes in his acts, hiding them when he gets a girlfriend and cleaning the place up as she moves in. In the 2nd game Evan Wright's house becoming progressively more filled with books, pages and newspapers as he loses himself in his investigation.
More then that the disjointed nature of storytelling also leads to these moments. Like putting together a puzzle.

The gameplay. I love it. It is not boring. It is intense. I keep coming back just to push myself to the limit with the levels. Checkpoints is your complaint? Most people can barely beat the game. Without checkpoints the game would never have found popularity.

Attached: 20190615122313_1.jpg (1920x1080, 675K)

How is Hotline Miami 2 checkpoint happy? You get a checkpoint with every floor, which can be multiple minutes. If there was not multiple checkpoints the game would be very frustrating, although as you get better at the game, your time and multiplier are important in your score.

Try actually beating the game instead of playing 20 minutes

>You get a checkpoint with every floor, which can be multiple minutes.
That is checkpoint happy. Try playing Hard Corps Uprising, released a year before the first HM, and then you'll see what I mean. Lots of games released in the 16 bit era were like that one.

>amid evil and my friend pedro launch tomorrow together
>dusk is finally come out on gog soonish
>steam summer sale is in like a week

there's too many damn indies i want to play

Attached: 1499573986509.jpg (640x547, 65K)

whats the second one?

CrossCode

Pretty much the same for me. Rocket League, ARMA 3, Insurgency: Sandstorm, and maybe some PUBG. AAA games don't have much lasting appeal to the point where I'll put a thousand hours into them.

Ummm... I literally beat HCU arcade without dying once, which honestly was probably on par in terms of difficulty (and took less time) than getting A+ on all stage and beating hard on HLM2 (for 100%). They are just different types of games.

How do you not see HM as checkpoint happy then? Do you not see SMB as checkpoint happy either?

They are just different types of games.... HCU is not nearly as difficult and also you don't die in one hit (unless playing as Leviathan)

I would probably have much less interest in HCU if not for the Rising mode to allow you to practice the game and learn the ropes before playing arcade.

>HCU is not nearly as difficult
Just because you die more in HM doesn't mean it's more difficult. It requires far less concentration, and time lapses between deaths are overall shorter.

HM is not as stimulating. It's like so many other indie games — designed for ADHD people who think it's intense because the action happens really quick... while for everyone else the intensity is more like a fart in a hurricane.

No.... HCU is just muscle memory and very easy once you have played it for a couple of hours. HLM2 is very intense and fast-paced and very reactive since enemies don't always act in the same way. I think you genuinely just did not play the game enough. It's a straight adrenaline rush, the main complaint is just that people don't use the peek and die from a distance (when you should be always be sweeping through areas tactically and constantly be using peek)

>HCU is just muscle memory and very easy once you have played it for a couple of hours.
It takes more than a couple of hours to get through if you're not familiar with that series. More like a couple of hours for just the first stage then.

You also simplify it to an absurd extent with "just muscle memory." When playing, way more intense concentration is still involved when you're new to those games and trying to persevere on harder difficulties in them for the first time, than is involved in HM throughout the whole game. Being fast paced is really a mask HM uses to hide this fact. In the end it is a simpler game.

You could always play Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden

I haven't played any prior Contra games, but I do play platformers. It basically just required muscle memory and knowing how to approach each situation. It's basically all the muscle memory of something like Super Meat Boy (of which I have done all the ironman for all worlds) with none of the difficulty.

Sure, it's a difficult game compared to the average game but it's also very short and once you know how to approach certain sections there is really nothing else to it. The only "difficulty" is just trial and error knowing how to approach certain bosses then muscle memory of implementing it. Going for the no-death run was not even particularly stressful except for the platforming sections where you can insta die are a bit annoying because the platform controls are a bit finicky.

Nex Machina is excellent. Shame what happened post release. I get that it's a high quality game but $20 is a lot for a game like that and would've done better if it was $15 max.

>It's basically all the muscle memory of something like Super Meat Boy (of which I have done all the ironman for all worlds) with none of the difficulty.
In the time I finished the main campaign of Super Meat Boy I had reached maybe up to the third stage in HCU on Arcade mode. So, we are clearly two very different types of people and have a knack for different types of challenges.

Oh boy I sure do love hand holding cinematic experiences like persona 5!

Well I mean there is a difference between beating a game and doing no-death, speed, completing challenges, etc.

I am just saying that just because a game where you die in one hit and will die hundreds or thousands of times in a playthrough having checkpoints a few times per level doesn't mean that is necessarily easier, it is just necessary for that type of game to avoid frustration. There could be an additional mode with less checkpoints or score is increased based on speed/not dying, but the base game should not force artificial difficulty by limiting the number of checkpoints excessively.

But I find these games much easier. For me, they aren't stimulating. All the challenges I figure out very quickly, and then it's nothing special to execute and get through them.

Can someone please recommend me some good indie games on GOG with replay value? I really liked Hotline Miami and hate roguelites

Then post your stats for HLM2, it's a much more difficult game than something you just overcome through muscle memory since it's reproducible every single time. HLM2 is dynamic and fun every time you play. Sure there are general strategies, but you must be able to be aware and react as you play.

You can guess which indie game is my favorite of the entire generation.

Attached: 1560966917142.png (546x608, 340K)

I'm not in a position to pull up any stats right now. I'm about to hit the hay for the night. You'll just have to take my word for it — it's not like I have anything to gain right now from lying about it.

You act like HLM2 is such a breeze when it is one of the most difficult games to be consistently good at, while you think games that you can basically master completely in

>hate roguelites
can't fix shit taste
FTL is good and barely a roguelite
there's also audiosurf

I'm not saying it's a breeze, it's just much easier for me and not stimulating compared to many other games I've played. Games that involve more muscle memory (and I say more, because that's not what HCU is entirely, there is still something dynamic when your reflexes are involved) aren't "braindead" at all either, for me at least. Things that require more improvisation come easier to me.

as opposed to the hardcore gameplay of night in the woods, firewatch and journey?

No one in this thread has mentioned any of those you fucking retard. These are all gameplay-focused indies

I wonder who's behind this post...

Attached: 1537510756545.png (624x951, 891K)

and i didn't mention persona 5.

Attached: 3x3.png (473x473, 443K)