Is Dragon Quest IX worth playing solo? I hear it’s like an mmo

Is Dragon Quest IX worth playing solo? I hear it’s like an mmo

Attached: C1028EDD-5393-4BB4-A5E7-55893B172BDF.png (220x197, 104K)

you heard wrong

It's still great solo. Just expect it to be more like 3 instead of the later DQ

Only played DQ3, 9, and the Monsters and Rocket Slime spinoffs. Is the rest of the series as good?

I remember seeing that you can download the DLC by connecting to a specific DNS or whatever, look into that

No, 10 is like an MMO, because it is one. IX is maybe a IX/10 game solo and an 11/10 game with friends. It's perfectly fine and enjoyable solo, but with friends, it's almost like coop Dragon Quest 3. Play it.

IV, V, XI, and VIII are the best ones in the series.

Connect your DS wifi to DNS: 172.104.88.237, you can snag the DLC and the old VC for free!

Yes it is.There are no bad Dragon Quest games.

No 3 and 9 are their own kind of substyle in the series, the rest are more story based
But still great

5 is an absolute must. Grab the DS remake.

In the other games you don't create your characters, you have predefined characters (albeit with a class system in 6 and 7, and skill trees for them in 8), so if you don't like that you won't enjoy them as much. If you don't mind, all the games range from good to great. 8 4 3 are my favorites, with 7 just behind.
If you want to make your own team somewhat like in the later games, you can play 5 which has recruitable monsters so you can make a team full of them and not use the humans. The selection in the DS version is pretty large, even if you can't recruit everything.

It's not worth playing.

Shitty game.

You're a shitty game

loved this game as a kid

Woah, I didn't know it was opposite day! Oh wait, I mean rush, I DID know that it's NOT opposite day ;)

What makes the series in general worth playing? They look pretty basic.

Being basic
But the kind of really really polished and good feeling basic

Its presentation is intentionally very traditional, still incorporating many visual and audio design elements from the very first game. They're far from basic though. Engaging stories that blend classical elements with many personal and thought provoking character moments. Excellent humor. And it is also excessively play tested and polished by the same guy who started the series 30 years ago.

Wrong number you dingdong. X is mmo-like. IX is single-player experience with co-op if your bud has a DS too.
So yes, you should play IX.

Attached: 1503474719171.jpg (628x421, 104K)

I wish people with more networking knowledge would give out instructions. Most people don't know that you can set up a secondary DNS on the router (and maybe the DS, but I don't remember) so that when the first address fails, it goes to the second one.

I have a little wifi spot I plug in whenever I want to play old NWF games just for it, so anyone can come over, plug it in, and just hop on it with literally no thinking on their part.

I remember being put off by IX when it first came out, but I wasn’t much into the older DQ games at the time either. I should give it another go now...

I'm really turned off by the in-game character models.

I really wish I had someone to play through it with.
Back at launch a buddy started it on a flashcart while I bought it and we did a dungeon or two together, shit was good fun but he ended up dropping the game.
A rerelease with online would be fucking awesome, but at this point we may as well hold off for a full remake.

what about that dragon quest mmo? I heard it was terrible.

>TURN based game
>coop

Attached: 1526038061303.jpg (285x255, 13K)

There is a remake coming very soon
For phones

Shouldn't call him a dingdong. IX has been referred to as MMO-like because it is literally a prototype to X. And X is not an MMO-like. It is an MMO. Although if you ignore the other players in X then it literally becomes IX because you can hire other player's characters as AI in the Inn.

Attached: DQXGame 2014-07-19 21-36-56-16.jpg (1920x1080, 197K)

fuck off opposite nigger

>There are no bad Dragon Quest games
*blocks your path*

Attached: dq6.jpg (297x266, 38K)

Is it? I've heard it was good, but I wouldn't know because I am incapable of playing it.

You heard extremely wrong

Attached: d67333be.png (772x494, 510K)

I would rather kill myself. And I used to play chess by e-mail.

>He didn't like 6

I love 6 so you can fuck right off

Attached: VS_Nokturnus.jpg (728x977, 161K)

Well, good thing I still have my DS copy then.
I oughtta do the whole DNS shebang and redownload the extra shit one of these days.

Its the best MMO I've played since FFXI and WoW

Attached: DQXGame 2017-12-01 18-33-59-89.png (1920x1080, 2.71M)

2 and 10 are terrible

It's my least favorite by far, and I suffered through the slog that was DQ7 and the grindy mess that was DQ4

Stick to DQV, DQXI and maybe 8 but skip the rest

Attached: D9Z9CE4XoAAcBOZ.jpg (1016x728, 131K)

The only dragon quest game that's terrible is the last one. the rest can be reasonably defended as a great game by any number of fanboys, including DQI and DQII. DQ11 is the only terrible, terrible game int he series. Probably the last.

This man is correct.

2 was good though. Not sure about 10 though, because they didn't release it over here. Have you played 10?

Should I play 7?

It feels a tad souless because there's no real party, and the protagonist is blank like always. So all you have is a support character talking to a wall.
Gameplay is solid, and you can solo it. It's what I did, as it was weird to have other guys around, but the plot completely ignoring them

VI is great faggot

I wouldn' know. MMOs are for jobless, neet people.

>tfw lewded her

Attached: DQXGame 2015-10-15 17-01-33-48.jpg (1920x1080, 200K)

only if he was living in japan. NDS doesn't have support for vpns.

>DQ4
>Grindy

Attached: 1487178685323.jpg (186x208, 5K)

Wrong

It's one of my favorites. People whine about length pretty often but it's hard to really get bored of anything since the plot plays out like a series of vignettes. It's like a JRPG anthology game or something and the payoff for getting through everything and slowly piecing the world back together feels rewarding as hell.

It literally happens as early as chapter 2 where an NPC literally goes "hey dude you might wanna just fuck around in this square of mountain space until you learn spells"

k dude

Attached: DQXGame 2014-08-06 23-46-27-21.jpg (1920x1080, 126K)

Yes

I haven't played 11 yet since I'm waiting for S. What's wrong with it?

He must have done the Cautery Sword thing in Torneko's chapter.

HOW DO I PLAY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA LET ME IN NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not. It has a lot of multiplayer centered features that you likely won't be able to make full use of, but it's still a single player game.

If it had released on the 3DS it could have used streetpass really well though, sucks that all the mingle/tag mode games on the ds were destined to die

Meant to say it's not like an MMO, not that it isn't worth playing, the game itself is just "alright" imo

I literally only played it solo and it's in my top 10

It sounds like you only grinded because an npc told you to, not because you needed to. I never needed to grind at all. The closest thing I can think of is getting money to build the tunnel, which doesn't take long anyways.

I thought it was pretty hopeless by now but with DQ getting the Smash bump and PSO2 getting released even after all this time it does spark some hope.

Attached: DQXGame 2014-08-07 00-19-19-77.jpg (1920x1080, 199K)

Am I really missing out on the party chat thing on the ds version DQIV? I really hate touch controls and my battery would get drained on my phone

Attached: EF5A9F85-FDC1-47BC-ADA2-AEB9D965B318.jpg (4032x3024, 2.32M)

>He beat the first miniboss without Boryas Sap and Aylas Divine dagger
Sure buddy

I just finished Dragon Quest 1 and moved onto 2. 1 was basic as hell but that's kind of what I expected. I guess the most notable thing I can say about it is that every level up feels significant. So the series is supposed to get much better from 3 onwards, right?

Attached: 1345282282277.jpg (300x300, 12K)

This series is boring I don't get it

Also literally the best girl in DQ and is completely unknown in the west.

Attached: DQXGame 2015-02-23 15-13-10-51.jpg (1920x1080, 187K)

People will say you're missing out but youre really not, its all just obvious flavor text for every interaction, and usually they just have "...." To say

It's just mediocre. Generic jrpg, terrible midi soundtrack. Nothing special. All games in the series had something. DQXI has nothing special.

3 is classic, it may be hard to appreciate now but in 88 it was unparalleled except by Phantasy Star. Also you can skip 2, it sucks.

pleb

I'd like to think so. 3 was fantastic.

First of all, Ayla? You mean Alena? Secondly, you needed to grind to get sap? Did you run from every encounter or something?

nah. I heard somewhere that something like thousands of lines were cut for the party dialogue. That's a lie. Most of the party dialogues were inane shit just for flavor. You aren't losing anything.

Why all the hate for XI?

Its a level 5 spell and theres only one way forward, dude

I played the game on DS as my first entry after IX, ie I never played a party chat game. I didn't feel like I was missing anything at the time, but in retrospect I'm sure the characters would have been a lot more interesting had party chat been present.
A lot of anons will says play phone because strictly speaking its a better game, but I'm in the same boat as you and hate playing games on my phone. Just play DS.

7 is apparently ridiculously long, is it worth it or will I get bored?

Pretty sure most people know about Maribel user. Why the unrelated image though?

Android version actually is pretty good and convenient to play

I figured since he played 9 he already had a DS

Really depends on the person I feel. VII is my absolute favorite DQ game and I love it from start to finish, though I'm in the minority.

Attached: Dragon.Quest.VII.full.2431441.jpg (1080x1245, 148K)

Will you be picking it up?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

It's very few people hating on XI.

Still, I do think it was a little bit too basic personally. By no means a bad game but I wish it had a job system or something a little more interesting. A solid jrpg but not even among my top five DQ games.

Or he could just emulate android if he really cares about party chat and doesn't like playing on his phone. You could use a tablet too.

Yeah, I’ve been waiting for it for Switch, DQ is better on the go.

Where can I download safe DQ apks?

It's a close one. Anyways I wish these DQX girls were more well known.

Attached: DQXGame 2015-02-23 19-28-37-18.jpg (1920x1080, 134K)

Attached: DQXGame 2015-02-23 16-46-04-94.jpg (1920x1080, 148K)

Yes, but you will be locked out of some of the content without a friend. It's been a long while since I've picked it up, but if I remember you have to have a buddy to unlock one of the classes, one of the side missions, and one side dungeon. Maybe it was two of the classes?

That being said, it's a really fun game with Bros. Back when it first came out, me and three of my friends tried to 100% it, but we couldn't complete one of the side dungeons without being completely maxed out.

Attached: DQXGame 2014-07-13 22-26-53-40.jpg (1920x1080, 139K)

You WILL get bored. Expect to get burnt out at some point and stop playing for a multiple year period. That's what happened to me. Picked the game back up and I was right after you get to the island at war with the automatons and burned through the entire rest of the game.

I have it pre-ordered.

ah fair point
Android version is much easier to pirate if he doesn't have money to buy a ds version or doesn't want to hack his DS

Also somebody familiar showed up in a Christmas event before

Attached: Stella DQX.png (1280x720, 1.97M)

Yeah couldn't wait to play it so I'm playing Dragon Quest 5 for the first time and enjoying it. Can't wait for 11.

Isn’t 4 necessary to understand 5? Are 4-6 a trilogy?

It's not necessary but it adds a bit.

I loved it and never got to play it multiplayer.

Is Jokers 3 worth playing? I kinda liked Jokers 1.

I never played multiplayer and I barely touched the grotto hunts because they were boring. it is perfectly serviceable as an offline jrpg. Your party members are pretty boring since you create them all but the side characters in the story make up for them

I owned this as a kid but never beat it, is it worth giving another shot?

Attached: 1d8de01dec72e61e8a05eccc05199cee.jpg (500x607, 69K)

It´s fun. You could try Joker 3 because it has more content.

Yes, Dragon Quest Monsters is really fun.

I’m late to the thread but fuck you