It has been about 10 years now...

It has been about 10 years now. What does Yea Forums think of the XBLA wave/early indies like Super Meat Boy or World of Goo?

Attached: Tim0.png (81x137, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TqOVpiXfq0o&t=1677s
youtube.com/watch?v=T_ogSEiNPu0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Yea Forums

Braid has God tier ost, whoever says otherwise is a brainlet.

youtube.com/watch?v=TqOVpiXfq0o&t=1677s

>Yea Forums
literally who?

I always confuse Braid and Limbo, but both were good.

All Jon Blow games are pretentious garbage meant for the "games as art" crowd

I only liked super meat boy out of those.

But games are art?....

Early XBLA was an interesting time. Just the idea of downloading games onto your console was pretty good. Alien hominid, bomberman live, prince of Persia 1 remake. Good memories

then how come soulja boy loves braid

World of Goo takes a simple concept and wraps it in something significantly greater. Couldn't get much better for what it is and it's fun. Super Meat Boy is great but Dustforce and Celeste are both better games I think, however SMB is more accessible due to the controls being easy to master. It's great but overrated. Anything Jonathan Blow makes can suck my dick.

It was a fad that quickly burnt out.

I still say Geometry Wars is one of the best shooters ever made. Braid got boring and never finished it. Castle Crashers was very good.

He doesn't. He mocked it and said it's barely vidya. He was laughing at it.

I remember a hilarious amount of shovelware, but there were some real gems that still stood out.

I adored Bastion.

Attached: Bastion.png (600x338, 292K)

more like johnathon blow my dick

here's the best one.

Attached: file.png (219x300, 45K)

Actually good games, but I hate them for starting the Indie Dicksucking Era.

>World of Goo
Best of Times is amazing.

more like John Blowhard

The actual mechanics played like a slightly above average flash game.

Aquaria was pretty awesome. Literally Hollow Knight but underwater. Absolutely massive metroidvania with some really imaginative bosses and abilities.

Attached: turtle-screen[1].jpg (612x320, 57K)

Holy shit, INDIE games got pretentious that early??

i prefer this one

Attached: meme_run.png (300x300, 83K)

I always thought Braid was fucking boring. Super Meat Boy is alright.

True patricians know the joys of N+ though.

I actually gave a shit about indie titles back when these were coming out. They were almost always great. Now we get so much indie shit I don't really care anymore.

>humblebundlecore

Attached: 8d1efdda258f9192bc981a11bd382491-785055325.gif (400x300, 2.19M)

I am the only one who want Tim from Braid in Smash Bros. right? His time mechanics and magic ring would be incredibly tricky to fight and combo.

They are, but Jon's games barely tie the gameplay to the aesthetics

I hate to use the term but it had soul.

They were more pretentious than ever back then. Braid and LIMBO fit that perfectly, trashy games that played like shit but they were "artistic" so everyone went nuts about them. I'm a lot happier with the state of indie games today. There are thousands of completely ass indie games on Steam released constantly, but people are only praising the ones with good gameplay.
It was nice to see a game like Fe turn out to be a complete failure, trying to bank on people who loved Ori but the difference was that Ori actually plays nice too.

Braid
Shadow Complex
LIMBO
Trials HD
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

Attached: 1553271003465.gif (385x243, 2.44M)

I miss the Xbox Live Arcade branding. Now it's just the greater Xbox Marketplace. Remember when XBLA games were $10 at most, then they upped the premium to $15, then to $20? Now I want to buy Bloodstained, what is arguably a XBLA tier title, but that shit is fucking $40

i don't want blow to get any money.

Super meat boy is pretty good. Never been mad on Braid

I liked Braid. Good puzzles, nice music, fun artstyle, etc.

I have no idea why the bits of "story" went from being about interpersonal relationships to being about the atomic bomb, but whatever.

A handful of fantastic ones, a bunch of garbage ones.

It's a lot like modern indie game design, except it was at a time when "puzzle platformer" wasn't as tired a genre as today so people could do interesting things with it.

Now, nobody makes good puzzle platformers anymore.

Braid and The Witness are both really good games, despite being jammed about a foot and a half up their own asses.

>Using message to all friends to fuck with your friends by spamming them
Good times

They're pretty cool. They were pioneers, like it or not.

I wonder how Phil Fish is doing right now

>Yea Forums

When I think of XBLA, I think of the following games

>Hexic HD
>Uno
>Geometry Wars
>Castle Crashers
>Marble Blast Ultra

For me, it's Cloning Clyde

Super meat boy forever when ?

they ruined a burgeoning indie scene before it had a chance and lured in the sort of people you do not want to be part of your hobby ever

Never got why people liked World of Goo. Was constantly annoyed at the finnicky physics.

Let's get some action in here
youtube.com/watch?v=T_ogSEiNPu0