Anyone else scared/turned off by early 3d graphics?

Anyone else scared/turned off by early 3d graphics?

Attached: Virtua_Fighter_Remix_Gameplay.jpg (704x448, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f-CAGwue6fY?t=1525
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, they're beautiful. Especially Saturn games.

Attached: zwei.webm (720x540, 3M)

I mean, just look at this. Sega was the undeniable master of polygons in the fifth gen.

Attached: 1557688950625.webm (1000x752, 2.98M)

nah early 3d graphics turn me on user

Attached: 1555652749707.webm (1080x608, 2.7M)

This looks really nice. Do you have more examples? It has this very soft touch to it I like.

VF was the shit!

jaggies are charming

There's a reason why the game that aged best graphically on PSX is Symphony of the Night and not any of its million "3D" games.

Attached: sotn.jpg (640x480, 34K)

That's how all Sega Model 1 games look.

Attached: 1556822841182.webm (720x405, 2.98M)

The Money for Nothing video scared the ever loving shit out of me when I was a toddler

>dithering
disgusting

Stay mad.

Attached: 1537831103823.webm (988x720, 2.99M)

What a charming system.

No.

Only in specific enviroments they can be nasty. I once watched part of a Ecco the dolphin demo and jesus christ it looked horrifying for some reason.

Only PS1 games
Saturn, N64 and Dreamcast look fine

nah that shit is cool af, even though i'm more of an early 3D CGI Cutscene type of guy

Attached: Deep-Fear-1.jpg (1000x600, 94K)

Is Saturn peak 3d aesthetic?

no

Attached: tomb3.webm (584x476, 2.94M)

Based. Also original Tekken cutscenes are scary as fk.

Attached: images(6).jpg (225x225, 5K)

Attached: polywoman.webm (720x541, 3M)

The characters act like they have problems

Yes, but only first party games
Saturn was too complex (bad for devs) to develop for and it wasn't supposed to play 3d games in the first place

plus the console had TWO fucking cpus
what a mess

>and it wasn't supposed to play 3d games in the first place
That's why it had a polygon engine capable of rendering 400,000 polygons a second from the very beginning of its development, right?
>plus the console had TWO fucking cpus
It had 8

The reason is because 3D games looked like ass on PSX.

And it used 4-sided polygons instead of three-sided polygons, making it even more retarded to develop for if you were multiplat.

Attached: smug kazuya.jpg (513x442, 17K)

Tomb Raider actually looked better on Saturn than PS1. It had much better lighting and colors, with a bunch of new visual effects too (water looks way better). Water is only tinted blue in large bodies, and light is dispersed on its surface. The PS1 version has shitty global lighting so even dark caves are easy to see.
youtu.be/f-CAGwue6fY?t=1525

Early 3D games kind of creeped me out because the worlds felt like they existed in some void

The opposite. This shit makes me rock hard.

No it fucking did not. 10 fps lower on average, far muddier colours (don't know where you pulled that shit from but you clearly haven't spent much time with it), worse textures, and even more shit.

Attached: tomb4.webm (1046x406, 2.94M)

>Textures

Attached: Virtua_Fighter_2_Akira_screen.jpg (479x360, 45K)

I still think FF7's overworld models look good, so no, not really.

I've played through the game multiple times each on PS1/Saturn/PC. The audio clips are lower quality on saturn but it runs just as well on real hardware (I only had framerate issues when emulating), and like I said the colors are way more natural. I've been playing TR1 for over 20 years.

>but it runs just as well on real hardware (I only had framerate issues when emulating)
No it doesn't, the footage I just linked was taken from real Saturn hardware.

N

No. I prefer Super Mario 64 to later Mario games. I prefer the original Donkey Kong Country games, where everything has a gritty look to it, to modern Donkey Kong Country games, where everything looks like candy. I prefer FFXI's graphics to FFXIV's -- it's like the image is sharper in XIV, but there isn't more detail to show, so it makes everyone look like a fucking mannequin and it's creepy. I prefer Half-Life 1, which has some color to it, to Half-Life 2, which has no color to it.

>New game comes with an unlockable 90's style easter egg.

Attached: Virtua_Fighter_4_-_Evolution_(USA)-6.jpg (640x485, 117K)

its not muddier, its darker. because it takes lighting into account.

5th gen is uglier than the 4th gen and the 6th gen.

I think 5th gen plays better than 6th though. In gen 6 most games try and control like gen 7 stuff, but without the same fluidity. There are only a couple of games that pull it off properly. Gen 5 accepts its limitations and creates interesting games and control schemes that fit the controller much better. By the PS2 we were basically getting the same games we have today but way worse, whereas the PS1 and Saturn have some really unique experiences.

>it wasn't supposed to play 3d games in the first place
please stop with this meme
VDP-1 was based on model 1 and 2 technology and was in even the early designs of the system. It was always meant to push polygons
>plus the console had TWO fucking cpus
That itself is not the issue. It's that there was only a single memory bus, so if you wanted to run both CPUs at once you had to have one of them working on data stored in it's tiny 4KB cache while the other accessed main RAM

Boo.

Attached: Mario-Head.gif (320x240, 376K)