Gaming laptops Yea Forums?

gaming laptops Yea Forums?

Attached: l_10183478.jpg (600x532, 38K)

no

yikes

Agreed

They're crazy expensive and obsolete within a year. I bought mine for traveling but I end up just using my fire stick for video games. Now I can't even sell it because its too old and no one wants it.

not a chance

I am purchasing an acer nitro 5 next week.

Pc desktops are a fucking mess and a joke.

If you get a really expensive one on sale it'll last you a while.
Desktops are better, but laptops aren't the joke they use to be.

What do you even mean by mess? I never had a problem with my builds and if some component craps out it's extremely easy to replace it, can't say the same for the laptops that died on me.

Gaming laptops are intrinsically a huge compromise. You sacrifice performance, thermals and value for money in return for portability. Most gaming laptops are hefty fuckers that eat batteries like tictacs so they aren't even that portable.

If you want a gaming laptop you should acknowledge and be willing to make that huge compromise.

Dell G5 15 (2019)
i7 9750H
1660 Ti
£1100

Dell G5 15 (2018)
i5 8300H
1060 Max-Q
£880

Dell G7 15 (2019)
i7 9750H
£970

help pls

You need to find the right stuff for the right specs that have to fit the right base and motherboard. Then you have to wire all that shit and that alone is a fucking nightmare.

It isn’t worth it in the end.

I own an acre nitro 5 and would advise against it. It honestly kind of sucks, doesn’t run stuff great and fan gets really loud for even oldish games.

forgot to say, top one is 144Hz and the others are 60Hz

Enjoy your overheating

>desktops keep getting easier and easier and as retard-proof as possible every year
>and yet there's always this fucking guy
Be honest, you never even touched a PC so you automatically think it's far more complicated than it is.

Ok. So recommend me one.

Not a fucking notebook would be a good start.

>1660Ti
>144Hz

Unless you play exclusively CS:GO you aint getting 144hz out of that midrange card

Literally watch a YouTube guide on how to do it. They're made for people like you that have never actually built a computer in your life. They even say what parts they bought so you cannot fuck it up.

How are these specs;
GPU: Radeon RX 560x
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 2.0 GHz
8GB RAM

Will this be able to run most things?

Do any of them have a 144 Hz screen?

Also this, unless the portability would really help, you're better off getting a desktop. However, if you need the portability or move around a lot, gaming laptops aren't as bad as people make them seem. I needed a gaming laptop so I could edit 4K footage and travel, and it's been able to play 2019 games just fine. a little hot, a little bit of noise, but it's not too bad

Is the nitro 5 a notebook?

Every single one made after 2016 on optimus is broken
I had to return 3 of them due to screen tearing

What's a good gaming laptop? I'm not looking to play the latest AAA shit on ultra graphics.

Just take a goddamn book if you're travelling

The top one does

Yes, on medium at 1080p 60Hz. Consider waiting a few weeks for the 3rd gen Ryzens to come out, though. They're looking good.

Make sure it doesn’t have two GPUs. I know you can set switchable graphics but it always seems to give me problems regardless where it doesn’t always use the better one

No such thing, you will always be paying a premium for throttled components and the battery life will always be disappointing, only ever get a laptop if you really don't have an alternative or just want a comfy secondary machine for non-game stuff.

Noisy, overpriced and makes you look like a tool

Buy a cheap thinkpad for school-work and invest in a decent stationary instead

>tfw built a Ryzen 2600/RX580 PC for $700
>mfw laptopfags pay twice that for same performance and overheating
>mfw no face

>using my fire stick for video games
what

Don't get a 'gaming laptop' then. Get a decent regular laptop and you can still play older and low-requirement games. Gaming laptops are made cheaply, are noisy, look retarded, can't cool their components properly, waste battery life and are bulky and heavy compared to decent laptops.

I only play old games on emulators

Worst purchase I ever made. I really regret it. I would just spend a little more and buy a PC, your money will go way further

>Ryzen 2600/RX580
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

You'll have access to Nvidia Inspector to go beyond low settings. Yeah, the games will look like Nintendo 64 games but you will hit that 144 fps.

been thinking about one too.
Mostly just to watch movies / anime on the plane and then game at night in the hotel room, but the fans get super super loud on a regular laptop sometimes, and i hear gaming laptops get loud, like obnoxiously loud and im not sure if i want one.

Gaming laptops being bad is a 10 year old meme at this point. If you want to play at 1080p then go for it, being able to play wherever you want is extremely comfy.

Name one (1) game it cant run at 1080p/60fps

the only reason you should get one is if you travel daily or live on a boat/submarine, in every other case a desktop is better, you can even make a mitx build if you're worried about form factor
any other case just get an x220 or something for when you're out and around

Deus Ex Mankind Divided on max

>wanting to play games at 1080p/60fps
jesus Yea Forums, get some standards

Oldschool RuneScape

Ocarina of Time in an emulator

Is there a way to force it to use the hybrid GPU at all times?

Bloodborne

Yes.

It would probably be really fucking laggy for any new games and even older ones like Skyrim on ultra.

Its the modern day benchmark, 4k is an absolute meme
I play most games on 1080p144hz
Ill upgrade when my 580 cant handle it

It's not 2012 anymore, modern gaming laptops are a lot better than they used to be

>Dell Inspiron 15 7000
>$700
>lighter than a chinkpad
>i5 w/ NVMe SSD
>empty bay for HDD
>single 8gb stick of RAM, cheap and easy to upgrade to dual channel 16gb
>1060 6gb only slightly slower than desktop variant
>IPS screen
>Never exceeds 60C
>14+ hour battery life when not gaming

Pretty good for a student or as a second machine

Attached: 20180725_111151.jpg (5312x2988, 1.37M)

It's the benchmark from circa 2008. 1440p 60Hz has been the standard for years, 120/144Hz is optimal. 4k is a meme, you're right.

Crysis

The most abhorrent thing about this image is that you are buying bottled water.

Cyberpower
Gaming AMD Ryzen 3 2300X, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD Gaming PC

Any good?

My fan gets loud even when I play a SNES emulator. Fuck gaming laptops

Everything works perfectly on my 2600x and 580 so I doubt that

Bitch, God damn Lego sets are more complex to put together than your average desktop PC. Just how incompetent are you? What other basic tasks are too hard for you to complete? Can you even change the oil in your car? Can you cook a meal more complex than pasta?

Reminder laptops literally cook your balls and reduce sperm count leading to infertility

>trusting American tap water

>trusting government water

>trusting American bottled water
Enjoy your microplastics

Better than lead

Thank G-d. Now some female can't trap me with a pregnancy

Who cares?

Hello?

You know what's also much better than it used to be in 2012? Desktops.
Never waste money on a notebook unless you absolutely can't set up a desktop where you live, comfiness isn't a valid reason either since the battery life is shit and the only comfy position you will find to play for a long time is in a regular desk so you are only losing ergonomics by having a small keyboard in an awkward position and a small and low monitor.

It’s more than worth having one if you travel. Try taking that desktop with you next time you go somewhere for any extended period of time.

CORPORATIONS GOOD. GOVERNMENT BAD. Fuck off shills. I know you are working for Big Bottled Water.

>buying a prebuilt

Do you have two GPUs? I honestly think the integrated one might be throttling the other, even if I set the applications for maximum performance

>i5 mobilememe edition, meaningless and certainly not comparable to a desktop i5
>microscopic NVMe drive when a bigger SATA SSD would have delivered virtually the same usable speed at a decent capacity
>no HDD (b-but there's a slot for one)
>SINGLE FUCKING CHANNEL RAM AHAHAHAHA (b-but it's upgradable)
>gimped 1060
>tiny-ass screen that you can't adjust relative to the awful chiclet keyboard
>Chunky, ugly, undoubtably heavy fucker that probably lives on that desk plugged in 99% of the time

>Pretty good

I'd rather have a good regular laptop to use for work and very light gaming than a 'gaming' laptop and all the bullshit it brings.

>literally just plugs his notebook on a table with a mousepad and all so it's essentially just a shittier desktop
>still tries to dupe other people into it
lol

>not having both

Attached: IMG_20190316_200954.jpg (4160x3120, 1.51M)

Hello, this is not Tommy Day it's Johnny Gray.

1080p, maybe
144hz is absolutely "modern" tech for the average gamer
Not everyone can afford or is dumb enough to buy an RTX card

What's a good regular laptop for $700?

Take the Razor pill user.

Attached: razer_blade_15_2018_mercury_white-01_589C1A842D4B416BBCF32C847EE73973.jpg (1360x765, 63K)

The thermals on the nitro 5 are shit because they insist on having the fan port pass over the GPU from the CPU out the back. Fucking idiots didn’t even fix it with this year’s model. It has a sensory application to try and compensate for it but you can get something similar installed on the OS of any modern laptop.

no you stupid fuck, monopolies bad and government bad, and what make monopolies possible? government regulations that the small companies can't deal with, leaving only the big ones in the market
nigger

youre just a lazy piece of shit

Can't do shit about the Government killing you but you can if the corps are.

Since when were NVMe drives microscopic?

Attached: unknown.png (526x115, 7K)

You still fucked up.

Build your desktop for games. Get a laptop with good ergonomics and battery life, and don't even think of it as a gaming machine. Play to each format's strengths instead of trying to reach a retarded compromise. You wouldn't build your desktop with a focus on tiny form factor and low power draw, would you? No, because unless you're really into SFF builds the compromise is too great.

You can still play a shitload of games on non-gamer laptops with laptop processors and integrated graphics, anyway

You can filter lead, can't you?
Microplastics will seriously fuck you up over time though

r8 my gaming laptop

Attached: speccy.png (821x587, 39K)

Like fuck did you get a 1TB NVME SSD in a $700 laptop.

Attached: 1418666990999.jpg (437x468, 59K)

Is this the 2019 Dell? I'm looking at the G5 2018 model (1060 Max-Q)
would you say it's worth it? £880...

It's literally just an Inspiron with a 1060, gets like 14 hours of battery life and weighs less than my old Thinkpad

Check the /g/ thinkpad general

>Max-Q
no

200 canuck bux

that is the dell g series?

>thinkpad
>just as heavy
>same chicklet shit keyboard
>worse performance
>5 years of cum stains

>hey guys look at my $700 laptop that I bought a $200 SSD and extra RAM and a HDD for but still it's a $700 laptop

Predates the G series

>shitty CPU
No thanks. Just get a Thunderbolt 3 laptop with a good CPU + an eGFX and you are better off while paying the same.

>speakers nowhere to be seen
>low monitor
>mushy-looking keyboard
This like a cheapo office setup with horrible ergonomics but with stupid shit added in like blue lights.

Never said it was for my laptop, just that it's pretty cheap to buy these days

Almost like it's a work in progress

Why the fuck would you buy a laptop only to ground it to a desk with an external GPU? You are only wasting more money to bandaid fix problems that only exist with laptops.
Gamer laptops are simply an inherently flawed concept, if you have room for a laptop and eGPU then you have room for a desktop.

>14+ hour battery life
why do you lie?

Mainly use my Xbone and PS4 but I have an Acer Aspire e15 for some older games. Once this console generation us over I plan on building a PC.

Attached: 20190112_160535.jpg (4032x2268, 2.16M)

I know fans are supposed to be loud, but when the fan is loud it’s hard not to feel like something is wrong or you are overextending it

No CD drive means fuckhuge battery takes up most of the space, and it can turn off the nvidia gpu and underclock the i5 to a couple hundred megahertz for when you're just typing notes and following along with a power point
An undervolt helps as well

Having money is nice. I have a Switch, PS4 Pro and my Razer Blade. Feels good.

Attached: 20190619_152945.jpg (2560x1440, 1.34M)

*when leaving it idle with the screen off

Are you legally retarded?
>have a good laptop for working/traveling or simply using it around your property
>get home/in your bedroom
>connect the thunderbolt 3 and play games
Why would you ground it to a desk by having a cable slot? Are you being ironic?

What are the letters about user?

Anyone else just hate playing on a laptop? Can't get the (small) screen into a good position, you need a desk anyway for the mouse, need to set up the laptop, mouse, power brick, headphones and a mousemat everywhere you want to take it.

My laptop can run games pretty well but I never use it for gaming, I just wait until I can get home to my desktop.

>2 pound envelope can get 10 hours battery life
>some how a 5 pound brick can't

I grew up with desktops and only got a laptop later on but I assume gaymin laptops are like better monitors or speakers, you are happy with what you have and think alternatives can't be that much better but once you actually experience something better you will never want to go back, laptops are nigh unusable for gaming for me since I have a beefy desktop setup, I only use the laptop for casual trackpad shitposting on the couch without having to lug accessories around.

t. Big Bottled Water shills. What's next? Gonna try to sell me some bottled water?

I travel a lot for my job so I have a sager laptop with an i7 and 1070 that runs most games pretty well. It does get hot as a motherfucker though and hits 80C pretty easily. I have a desktop at home though I only use the laptop when I'm traveling. I would say that unless you're moving around a lot gaming laptops are not worth it.

>Why yes I think gaming laptops are superior to desktops, how could you tell?

Attached: 1560641590432.png (723x666, 163K)

I bought my current Asus laptop for $800 about three years ago. It's powerful enough to run GTA5 but that's about it, however it runs just about every indie game, source title, it even runs Dewm. I wager you could find my laptop for around $250 these days, if that.
We've been in this gen so long that even the old shit can play a ton of fucking games.

Attached: utterly.jpg (456x453, 53K)

I wanted to get back into PC gaming but NVIDIA Jewishness means that next-gen consoles have become a very competitive option.

How about bottled gaymur gurl piss?

Just notes from college

Attached: New Doc 2018-12-20 19.46.29_1.jpg (1660x1836, 124K)

Wait for Navi price drops
Or get a Vega 56 and overclock it

For the price of a gaming laptop you could buy a 4K tv and PS4 Pro or Xbone. I really don’t see how the laptop is worth it when you’ll probably be disappointed in the performance anyway. You should either splurge on a console or splurge on a PC, a laptop is just a silly expensive compromise.

Even laptops with 1050tis can outperform consoles

thoughts on pc builder websites wheres you can buy the parts directly? is it overpriced?

>Yea Forums
>Having kids
Comedy gold lel

a fucking macbook at 0% brightness with its optimized OS and huge battery can't get more than 12 hours

That 2pound envelope has an extremely low power usage compared to bricks that's why

That's because Macbooks are toys and not real laptops engineered to be Thin and Light™ above all else

Just use pcpartpicker it gives you the lowest price from all the major stores (Amazon, newegg, b&h etc)

You can't build a laptop though if thats what youre trying to get at.

What is even the point of these? Your just gonna sit stationary playing a game for hours like a desktop anyway.

Look for internet shops and compare prices, there's always some sale running and buying several components from one place can save you on shipping.
Part picker sites can show you good deals but only for their sponsored sites, never hurts to do your own price research.

Completely unrelated but my Boomer father honestly believes that if you plug in a laptop to charge for too long it'll either blow up or kill the battery. Is this really the legendary boomer tier tech knowledge Ive always heard of or am I the idiot?

i5-7200U in ultrathins can use anywhere between 7.5-25 watts
i5-7300HQ in nornal and gayman laptops can use 35-45watts

Mind you these are numbers at full tilt, when they're idling at 800mhz with less than 1 volt just running Word power usage is within a few watts of each other
It's how gayman laptops get such good battery life now days since their batteries weigh as much as an ultralight

Technically overcharging a battery can make it overheat but all li-ion batteries have their own controllers to avoid this, micromanaging charging was only a thing with really old nickel batteries.

Leaving a battery at 0% or 100% for a long time can lower its capacity though, 50% is ideal for long term storage.