You may not like it but this is the best rougelike on the market

You may not like it but this is the best rougelike on the market

Attached: coolninjagame.jpg (616x353, 230K)

it's a great game but it doesn't even remotely resemble rogue

I actually really enjoy the combat. Parrying shit is really satisfying.

>Rogue-lite
FTFY

see for me its I don't even bother parrying, i just live rolling threw doors then coming in a room and button mashing everything in sight. The combat is very good in this game.

sorry nerd I'm retarded.

>best rougelike
Isn't that like being the smartest retard?

it's not even that either, it has almost nothing to do with rogue

It's cool. Just remember the difference.

what is the difference though? is one like rouge legacy and the other kinda like rouge legacy but less?

>But muh ascii adventure game
Randomization and permadeath are enough to be a rouge lite and now shut up you nerd.

Rogue-Like: Rogue, Dwarf Fortress (Rogue-Like Mode), IVAN

Rogue-Lite: Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Binding of Isaac, etc.

now what?

Attached: 3a0810b88f773affae9e2d6804d3fd38.png (345x195, 33K)

ah ok thanks

I remember when roguelite was used for games that play like rogue (as in _actually_ play like it, not just have some elements from it) but let you carry things over/progress between runs. And then roguelike, was well, roguelike.

Somehow, now either terms are getting used for games that play nothing like it. Even some action 2d platformers.

In a nutshell:
Roguelike = like the game Rogue. Proc genned levels, random loot, turn based.
Roguelite = has some features of rogue(like) but lacks others. In the case of dead cells: it's not turn-based.
For a more indepth definition, ask . They have a flow chart and everything.

Imagine being so autistic that you think you have to get every achievement

>roguelike

Imagine being so shit at video games you get made at people completing them

Attached: 56093147_p0.png (400x260, 67K)

dead cells barely has any randomization though, some set pieces get swapped around at most

>get made

imagine being a complete brainlet

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 90K)

>beat the game
>nothing
>beat the game on Cell1
>no more story, only more stupid bullshit
>every weapon unlock makes your runs objectively harder and more RNG dependant
>have to grind the fuck out of cells for further unlocks

I literally had 2 people watching me play during the run that I beat the game and both of them said "what the hell is the point?" and then I beat 1Cell on the very next run and both of them thought the game was fucking stupid nonsensical bullshit.

I am truly not asking for a lot in terms of story, but I need - at the very least - a single iota of purpose or direction to keep playing after I beat NG:0 and NG:1

This game took me 15 hours over 1 weekend and I actually hate it

when did roguelike even become about some elements of it

few years ago roguelike was a term used for how it played, if something was called roguelike you knew you were probably playing a mystery chronicle clone or something similar.

Now you see roguelike and it might just be a FPS

>rougelite

Attached: 1558551609245.jpg (312x312, 46K)

Ever heard of the journey beating the destination you idiot?

Apart from what you see while playing, there are lore rooms spread throughout the levels. You can put the pieces together and figure out the story. And now that the actual end boss is added you can properly fill in all the holes.
>every weapon unlock makes your runs objectively harder and more RNG dependant
There's a custom mode which you unlock pretty quickly which lets you determine which weapons drop during your runs. You really have not been playing this in the last 4 months or so, have you?

There were a few indie games with procgen and permadeath that got really popular, people just latched onto it as a buzzword since people who haven't even played nethack aren't going to listen to people screaming about the berlin interpretation

Except the journey isn't good. The combat is worse than Gungeon, Rabi-Ribi, and Heroes of Hammerwatch - all of which have fuck all in the way of a "story" but are well designed.

Its been a long time since I've beaten a game and was actually bored and annoyed at the prospect.

Like I said; I played it for 15 hours 1 weekend and never touched it again. Getting rid of shit tier weapons, like the ... boots (?) is a step in the right direction.

binding of isaac is mostly to blame

Enter the Gungeon was free on epchink recently and it's a lot of fun. Not as good as Isaac, but still fun.

All the pretty pixel graphic, tight combat and interesting premise fucking wasted on rougetrash. Rogue shit is the graveyard of potential.

I'd rather pirate their "free" games before installing chinese spyware

Levels and items are all randomized, along "permadeath", which is more than half of the things that make Rogue, well, rogue.

Attached: roguelikes.png (1414x1693, 1.27M)

Spelunky was the OG roguelite but Rogue Legacy somehow solidified the roguelite fad despite being complete trash.

It's pretty fun

"Roguelike" has been bastardized into meaning nothing more than "permadeath" and "Rogue-lite" is "permadeath with progression between lives"

BoI retards are the ones who repeatedly called their game a Roguelike to muddy things, Rogue Legacy was definitely the first game to market itself as a "rogue-lite"

Nobody cares about your autistic definition of what is or isn't a rogue like. It will develop to the point where not even the original Rogue will fit into the definition and there's nothing you can do about it.

false equivalency
FPS is a real genre that has an actual presence that everybody knows and, by the way, is shit because of the camera since it restricts a lot of gameplay elements

meanwhile, only 10 basement dwellers played rogue so using a definition made up by one of those 10 basement dwellers (aka the dev) is dumb, and so is the people who agrees with a egotistic definition like that

we are actually making you a favor by destroying this retarded excuse of a definition dude

Anything at 4+ boss cells is unfun. Whoever thought the disease mechanic was a good idea should be shot

the the the the the

Bad take, OP.

Attached: Roguelites.jpg (1380x1075, 623K)

now remove the sjw games

How egotistical can you be to come up with a definition that literally means "CLONE OF THIS GAME I MADE"? Can't we come up with something better?

No, SJWs are based.

These devs would be based as fuck if only they knew how to balance shit.
Apparently one of the items they made was so broken they didn't even know where to start rebalancing, so they just removed it, adding in nothing in its place.

Lmao, which of those games are SJW in any way?

But I thought Yea Forums didn't care about politics if the game was good?

I just realized that all those games are bad...

>There's a custom mode which you unlock pretty quickly which lets you determine which weapons drop during your runs.

So the developers basically admit their system was shite?

>tfw these are probably the best the market has to offer
>tfw want something even better
Then again I never ever 100% or complete any of these. Except Isaac, but that's only because I think it's the easier one or something. It's also got a lot of RNG that makes you lucky until the end. I've cleared to the chest multiple times somehow. Even managed boss rush somehow. Even then, there's a bunch of other content that randomly pops up when I go back down. Right now on Enter the Gungeon and it's fun, but man it's tiring me out dying so often before even getting to the fifth chamber. It kind of reminds me of how in Isaac if I don't pass the first five floors, then it means I won't pass the rest anyways, but if I clear those, the rest is generally a breeze. Maybe I'm too used to cheesing or the dodging is just different. I mean it a lot wilder than Isaac's. Crypt is yikes, but I have it and it hurts to play because of constant motion. Might go back to RoR, but it's tough being an hour in and dying due to being a pixel too close to the group of mobs that hit you all at once. FTL is die, repeat and reset. Tell me there's better, guys.

Play Crypt as Bard, the rythm aspect sucks.

>being this bad at the game

The definition was settled 11 years ago you callow philistine. The rules have loosened a bit but even when the Berlin Interpretation was brand new it was still more broad than "perfect clone of rogue"

Then what's good? You can't have bad without good, so post the good one.

Attached: bzictahg4o011.png (735x541, 27K)

Funny how Necrodancer is both the only Roguelike and the only good game

I thought I remember there being an unlock mechanic where you put items into the game.

It doesn't include any of these games though. The only steam games it would cover are Dredmor and ToME.

But it doesn't have permadeath

this piece of shit has been getting shilled very hard this week. did it get a new dlc or something?

Nothing in even the extremely strict berlin interpretation prohibits that kind of mechanic other than the suggestion that item descriptions/effects are probably randomized so you have to re-figure them out every playthrough, and it doesn't make sense for that to be listed as part of a high-value factor anyways since around half of roguelikes don't even do that.

it was "free" on psn recently

"All zones mode" has everything unlocked from the start.

Crawl is fun, but it really doesn't belong in that image. Just because you restart from the beginning every game doesn't mean it's a roguelite.

Isn't it supposedly the best roguelite?

It's a game about killing stuff. There is no story, just grind. I mean, there is some story, and you can unlock cool new areas at 3+ boss cells, but the meat of the game is playing it over and over and getting better. There is no reward at the end of the grind, there is no end to the grind at all. Take it or leave it.

Because they aren't roguelikes, and the majority of roguelikes aren't even on steam.

>tfw roguelikes aren't just not on steam but also free
Low barrier of entry to a high barrier of skill. Is there a better roguekino?

There's nothing rogue-lite about it, though, even by the loose definition of rogue-lite.
It's just an action platformer with some random elements. A great, sure, but still not a rogue-lite.

That's a fair opinion. Those games are also very good, though I personally don't care much for Gungeon.

Gungeon isn't a good game, but it's a good bad game.