Why is this game so overrated?

Why is this game so overrated?

It's regarded as one of the best platformers of all time, despite having horrible slippery controls, poor level design, and many technical issues. It's just braindead rinse-and-repeat muscle memory for over 90% of the levels.

Attached: a1679001039_5.jpg (700x700, 35K)

this is maybe the worst bait you couldve done

Attached: 90765265-37D8-4E94-83A7-B27CEF77486F.jpg (512x384, 37K)

Shit game

How so? The controls, hitboxes, and level design are quite bad.

The controls are fine, they are a little bit slippery but that's good since platformers NEED to have some physics, perfect 1:1 controls are extremely boring. If anything, meat boy didn't go far enough in the slippery direction. Also if 90% of levels are braindead rinse and repeat muscle memory then what are the remaining 10%? Hell, what are some challenging platformers that don't just ultimately come down to muscle memory?

git gud

N++ has both better controls and much, much less muscle memory levels.

part of why it's a great game is that it's a very momentum based platformer where you have to learn how to "throw your weight around" very effectively. this is quite a compelling control scheme, and feels really satisfying to learn and master. it's a very similar feeling to the N series.
on the other hand, you have platformers like Celeste and The End Is Nigh which are very heavy on the precision and such. Like, when I stop touching the keyboard, the character doesn't move or falls downward. This is less compelling, because you have complete control over your character from the start and don't need to "wrangle" the control scheme. Both games are great but aren't as fun to learn as meatboy is.
I will tell you the most satisfying experience in video games was struggling through meat boy the first time, all the way to 106%, and then replaying it and being astonished that I got to 106 again with less than a tenth of the deaths from the first time. The game was almost an extension of my fingers, in the way that tennis players might describe their racket as an extension of their arm. It just felt right.
I don't think any other game has ever made me feel that way.

Attached: doremijeggings.png (800x800, 202K)

i mean N++ is a better game but that doesn't make meatboy bad
but N++ is also more niche, which is why meatboy is more popular.

It's barely momentum-based at all. It's very slippery, stop and start on a dime. N++ is a very momentum-based game (and much better to boot). Super Meat Boy is basically on the other end of the spectrum.

I have the iron man in every world in Super Meat Boy, and the feeling of extension you are describing is literally just braindead muscle memory. If you play new levels then you will see that it's basically like playing through the game for the first time because it's just all muscle memory.

well of course you're fucking bored with the game and think it's all muscle memory if you have the iron man in every level, you DO have muscle memory for every level
or you're lying and haven't played it
there is absolutely no reason for you to have spent however long perfecting dark cotton if you don't like the game
and you're a complete and utter moron if you think meatboy isn't momentum based. I AGREE that N++ is more focused on momentum then meatboy but that doesn't mean that meatboy is not momentum based. you're completely incorrect about the movement, meatboy is not stop-and-start on a dime AT ALL.
alright, i've decided you haven't played the game, or you got mad during the second world and quit.

Attached: roll.gif (500x300, 492K)

It's one of the early "mainstream" indies, so it got free points for that.
Edmund should be blamed for creating Binding of Isaac, that one game skewed perception of what roguelite should be.

>braindead muscle memory
literally all video games

you have infinite lives and the levels are 20 seconds it sucks play a real game

It's a better game than meat boy for sure but it has a ton of muscle memory levels, the entire game's about getting used to the heavy inertia based physics and all the timing involved. It's not as popular because it has an extremely basic style with no charm to it at all, Meat Boy is eye grabbing so it's better at catching the average pleb's attention. Same with Celeste.

What? The second you release the button, you instantly stop no matter how fast you were going, the only thing that affects the height of the jump is how long you hold jump and if you have run held or not, and the way to "slow down" jumps is to literally turn around while mid-air because you just do everything on a dime. There is basically no momentum or physics system at all.

Try playing a competitive game or game with dynamic and reactive systems that make each scenario different so you have to react on the fly (I mean even N++ only has a few levels that are muscle memory)

Yeah, but it "makes up for it" with being difficult and forcing you to replay the same muscle memory many times over

N++ does have some muscle memory levels but the vast majority are not and can be approached in many ways and are very dynamic due to unique interactions with the systems in the level that are basically not reproducible .

So you don't even mean muscle memory as in the game requires a lot of practice with specific timings to clear levels, you mean it as a term for low depth. Yeah, that's a big flaw with SMB and platformers that ape its style, though it only becomes a big issue once you get to the later worlds and cotton alley. Basically because the controls are too close to 1:1 and there's no endurance aspect, the only way for the developers to create challenge is to completely limit the player until it becomes a borderline rhythm game disguised as a platformer.

But they are actually good.

Yeah, rhythm game is a good term to describe it. Practically the only levels of all of cotton alley dark that is not pure muscle memory is Curls and (maybe) They Bite. But every single other levels is just muscle memory and I can do most of them in a zombie-like trance where I am barely even looking at the game.

Please someone post the "How to Level Design" image where Step 1. is to place some random platforms, Step 2. is to record a demo of jumping through them a certain way, and Step 3. is placing a spike in every bit of the screen that the demo player doesn't pass through.

Overrated because:
>documentary
>basedboy dev
>newgrounds zoomers

You sound like the actual zoomer desu, SMB got popular way before the documentary came out, it was one of the first big indie hits on xbla and kinda paved the way for the indie scene back then.

good lord you're a moron. have you ever fucking touched this game? a demo on xbox live? go fuck yourself.

The End Is Nigh is better

I literally have over 100 hours in it and did the iron man in every world.

It is by a long shot

it's literally the exact opposite of what you're saying you retard.