Dragon Quest thread

Lets have a fun thread on Dragon Quest. Both mainline and the fun side games.

Attached: Dragon Quest 3.jpg (977x608, 167K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eceWg3BlHP4
youtube.com/watch?v=j4fkEKjnIj0
pastebin.com/9wmQbgGG
youtube.com/watch?v=h0MZ-WrMFRg
nintendosoup.com/mysterious-dragon-quest-xi-s-ps4-disc-appears-in-japan/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Legit cannot get into any dragon quest games, tried 3,8 and 11 and none kept my interest, kind of salty that they in smash now

What a garbage boring franchise.

will not be touching XI until they fix the music

How so? Or are you the typical threadshitter?

Switch version is their fix

I agree, Smash Bros is a garbage boring franchise.

Attached: 2eec41dccedad89cb8d0d315d2ad61024b5a2737r1-320-242_00.gif (320x242, 414K)

I always forget how based Toriyama's artwork was until I see some of his older stuff. Even by the time of Chrono Trigger he was starting to phone it in, but the early Dragon Warrior stuff is fucking stellar.

You have to start with Dragon Warrior for nes or gbc.

Is 4 on DS ok or do I need the mobile version?

Just got DQ1 mobile and so far it´s just...worse final fantasy, I guess? The Le old english thing is anoying and it looks real bad. I want to like it though, so help me out. How do I aproach it?

Agreed, I love his early monsters since they're just brimming with soul

Attached: unnamed.png (512x250, 296K)

youtube.com/watch?v=eceWg3BlHP4

DQ5 MC CAN USE ZENITHIAN SWORD

what's the difference between dq5 and dq monsters mechanics wise? heard both were the ones with monster catching elements and I love that shit

Attached: 1526863078194.png (500x333, 162K)

Are those mobile ports of the first games good? I am undecided whether I want to emulate them or play them on phone. Japan has first three games both on PS4 and 3DS but sadly those ports aren't localized (yet).

How important are skill points in 8? Can I just experiment on my own and be fine? 3DS version btw

WHAT THE FUCK THAT'S FUCKING BULLSHIT

The IV and V ones are fantastic, especially V. Can't speak for the others though.

How is 2?

Also, everyone in these threads are talking about V's hero not being a hero? Is that a spoiler that will completely ruin my enjoyment of the story or is it early on?

>Also, everyone in these threads are talking about V's hero not being a hero? Is that a spoiler that will completely ruin my enjoyment of the story or is it early on?
Nah, pretty early on into the game actually. It's just a very cool plot twist that makes V's main character stand out compared to the other game's main characters.

The first DQ is fundamentally an open world game. It's short and very grindy, but you just have to find the key items and go fight the final boss. Whether or not you find it fun is if you can get into that feeling of the game.

I played DW 1 and 2 for my nes over the past few months, after previously having no interest in the series. I had been a huge FF fag for decades and remembered actively ripping on DQ later on with only having played VIII.

I had a lot of fun. They were great games with excellent music, not too long either. Yes they are grindy and slow, but you can kind of make it a meditative thing. Because JRPGs have taken the formula and expanded on it, it feels super basic. However I never felt they were cheap, and people rip on Dragon Warrior II for being hard or something, but I thought it was a very steady progression and only died a few times.

You will like the nes games if you, 1) enjoy the aesthetics and music. That's the strongest point of the game, because they're some of the best of 8 bit songs. 2) can appreciate the more open direction though having a guide or map might make things smoother. and 3)Can overlook the basic gameplay.

I think it's understandable to be underwhelmed if you started with the later games. Early DQ is better than early FF, but at a certain point in the SNES era Square went nuts and became really creative. After getting into the series, I found that 1-V are really interesting, but later on the series becomes kind of bland. They were great 8 and 16 bit RPGs, but afterwards it didn't seem like they were reaching very far any more.

He honestly is one of the most talented manga artists ever when he needed to be. Dr. Slumps and Dragon Ball manga are so insanely detailed at times that you wonder how he did it. Also his love of mechanical things are crazy good. It's just once Dragon Ball ended he could just stop putting as much effort into his work. Which made everyone joke about how much of a hack he is.

I love dragon quest, but I can't finish them for the life of me. It makes me sad

Attached: 1560838597943.jpg (431x600, 43K)

Nigger

The best way to finish Dragon Quest games is to turn it into a habit, play an hour or two at night, like you would watch an episode of a series on Netflix.

I mean it was made like 2 years before FF1 so it being really rough is to be expected. There's not a whole lot of approach DQ1. NPC gives you nearly everything you need and it's just kind of you to explore all the different corners of the world to find everything you need. The only really annoying thing with DQ1 is that 90% of your time is grinding since ideas like level balancing wasn't really considered until post DQ2.
>How is 2?
Mobile might be the only way to really play it and not have a guide with you. Since DQ2 loves to hide everything you need and to search every tile to find them. While mobile just gives them sparkles which is honestly for the best. DQ2 is bad because it's 1. Super Grindy 2. Enemies are bullshit where they can easily just cast spells that just kills your party. 3. Directionless but in such a way that you just feel like you are wasting time.

Mobile fixes 1 and partly of 3 as for the bullshit enemies well just try to rush to the last save point and hope for the best.

Oh, thanks, I am gonna check those out then.

I’m here to defend this game. It had a great cast, with Terry going on to be popular and get his own amazing spin off, it had a really fun job system, and the dream world-real world dynamic let them tell some fun and sometimes dark mini stories.

Attached: 3091AAEA-A106-4D9A-B5F8-1D0B47860449.jpg (220x397, 33K)

sex with a horse

He probably just unsheathes it and uses one lighting attack before the sword rejects him. In the cover for the movie you can see his son using the sword.

Yep. Don't understand what the grab is. I'm pretty sure people only play them because of Toriyama and they're so brain dead easy they're great for kids or just something to kill time after work.

This, just set a reasonable leveling goal (get MC to lvl20, catch up Jessica, get more points in Axes for Yangus, etc) and grind/explore/whatever for an hour or so

>finally hack my 3ds after years of being a lazy fuck
>now enjoying the remake of Monsters 1 while getting VII and VIII with orchestral music
Feels good, I already own most 3ds games I want to play but having these feel well worth the effort it took.

Attached: 30614279_p0.jpg (1500x1500, 2.06M)

I was like you once
Give it time, it will click someday
But atleast you tried and that's more than what other people have done

There are guides online that tell you. Unless you want to kill metals in the game (for end game) just get focus on one skill tree per character.

>Get to Rhone for first time
>Head west through the woods/mountains to reach the monolith
>Mugged by back-to-back Archdemons (one with a blizzard, the other with a Gigantes and Gold Batboon
>Absolutely wrecked, but survive long enough to reach the monolith
>Return to the field, only to finally notice the considerably shorter bridge path I could've used instead

Well, that was an interesting turn of events.

>Can't actually see the person who is using it because they're covered in flashes
>Doom poster immediately tries to shit up threads
Like clockwork.

Sometimes I just want a jrpg with a fun dnd like plot and world and not some philosophical bullshit asking about what the nature of life is.

Attached: 48532492_p0.jpg (1500x996, 1.26M)

It's actually the entire premise, so no spoilers there.

I loved the Joker series, is the monsters 1 remake worth playing? Also can you battle your friends?

I talk about 2 here;
I really liked 2, but you can tell Enix didn't really execute their concept correctly until DQ3/4. It's the first game to introduce a party; the protagonist, the prince of cannock, and the princess of moonbrooke. The party in 2 is a broken down version of the hero from 1; the hero in this game can only physical attack, and his maximum level is 50. He's your most reliable unit. The Princess of Moonbrooke is a dedicated mage and gets good spells, her max level is 35. The prince of cannock is a controversial character, as he's not very good. He's a shittier version of the DQ1 hero with spells and swords, but he's weak and the princess gets better spells. Because this is your party, you have to plan around ytour weaker characters. This is something people often don't like, as it's said the encounter rate is really bad. The enemies apparently have randomish configurations, so they'll be stacked in some battles. I didn't find this bad though, and while I had some trouble occasionally, I wasn't frustrated.

The game's biggest problem is probably the lack of direction once you receive the ship. I say at this point just read a guide, as the game was designed for Nintendo power shit.

Very important. A good thing to do is to split the skill points between one weapon and the unique trait skill per character. That will coast you to endgame no problem.

So DQ1 is really as grindy as I felt it was. I can get into that, I was just not sure if I was playing it right. They just say "hey kill that evil dragon, also the princess is missing, if you care about that". I´m weird and love final fantasy 2, so the grind might be even fun. I´ll stick to it a little longer and see how far I can go

The insta kill enemies are only a problem in the final region

People bash DQ6 mostly because when you look at all the DQ games it's the most...Generic I guess. It's still good but it's hard to really talk about DQ when compare to the other games.

very important, especially mid and end game

>Rhone
When you run into these, pray to RNGsus that they don't wipe your party.

Attached: sacrifice.png (347x307, 187K)

Toriyama is a fucking incredible artist and one of the best mangakas in the game. his design may have some religion but his composition, linework and style remain unmatched. The manga for dragonball is still a fucking masterclass of the medium that i wish more could learn from. the only problem with current toriyama is that he’s just old.

Attached: F78465FB-F69A-46A5-9CEE-FE08327CCFE8.jpg (728x1064, 333K)

No pro for you Yea Forums

Thanks.

Monsters 1 remake is a complete remake of the original GBC game, it's a great remake and well worth playing if you like the Monsters games.

youtube.com/watch?v=j4fkEKjnIj0

may have some repetition* fuck. anyways here’s another page of dope shit.

Attached: 3DEE06FA-AC21-4259-BFFB-16588A0A893E.jpg (727x1094, 260K)

There's also enemies that sap your MP by like 20 points. There's hardly any good balance in DQ2 with enemies. Sometimes they just all target your green prince and well say goodbye to him.

Attached: Only sadness and rage.png (520x360, 75K)

Zenethian sword dude is wearing blue clothes though, not purple.

There's thousands of DQ games
how do I get started?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 40K)

This pic happened so many times due to RNG fucking me over when I first beat 2. It was all worth it to hear that ending theme. After suffering so much, even having to overcome a bug since I played the fan translated version on the SNES, hearing the soothing end theme just felt so satisfying.

Attached: Dragon Quest 2 Party Members.jpg (640x1011, 409K)

Yeah, absolutely. The games are fun and 8 (which I'm playing on an emulator, can't speak to the original) is gorgeous. I just don't know what the get is, or more truthfully, am frustrated that I don't enjoy them as much.

Most recommended are III, V and VIII.

Dragon Quest 8 or 5

Attached: 1542732394972.jpg (1080x1350, 285K)

This has too many words imo, but just know that red stamp means it's a good game to start with.

Attached: DQG Guide.jpg (3376x1440, 3.14M)

pick one, almost any one
grab 8 on the 3DS because it's good, get 3 because it's classic, get 11 because it's new
just pick one and play

>admits games are fun
>doesn't understand what the "get" is
Why are gamers so retarded about their own hobby nowadays? Christ fucking Allmighty.

Stop being a pretentious faggot and just enjoy them

I've been playing VIII on and off. It's fun, but I feel like alchemy is sort of dumb

Why do people constantly ask which one to play? Just pick a pick random one and see if it's good. All of this shit is free with emulators.

How so?

Quick easy tip: Heroism is absolutely worth it, Guv gets so many useful support abilities from it
I like Jessica as a Mage but a lot of guides suggest Whip
Yangus can coast on Axes or Clubs, also gets some support abilities from his unique line
Angelo is your red mage, he won't cast as well as Jess or use swords like the Guv, but he's great backup with a little bit of everything

just mashing stuff together feels silly. I love the idea of reading random books and finding recipes, though.

Dragon Quest 6 is shit because
1. Makes the same mistake as 2 when you get the boat of removing all direction, except makes it worse because you have two worlds + the underwater of one of the worlds, but still has the "island/point-of-interest is one tile wide and necessary to complete the game with no direction to the general area of where it is"
2. Starts borrowing boss/combat design from Final Fantasy instead of sticking to Dragon Quest roots, in that all bosses past the 30% mark of the game become immune to status effects, and ALL of them will trigger a disrupting wave if you buff up more than 3 times. On top of which they get that for free. Or in otherwords, like FF, the bosses are designed with bullshit in mind first, fun and story second.
3. Makes many of the late game bosses immune to a bunch of skills and techniques, many of which aren't even that good or useful in general, meaning that even though you're likely to have 300+ spells and techniques you have to wade through, you're going to only be using 3-4 of them.

Crying shame, cause I found 6's story better than 5's to be frank.

>I like Jessica as a Mage but a lot of guides suggest Whip
Depending if you are talking PS2 or 3DS version. The 3DS version the Whips are nerfed to a point where you might as well ignore it and focus on her magic.

I wanna play DQ3, which version is the best one?

Who's ugly art style is this?

Mobile

SNES and GBC are both fine. Mobile is alright, but it removes a few things that even the GBC version had.

Play 1, then go up in sequence.

You do realize that the point of the game is to explore? It's meant to have the freedom of the Erdrick trilogy. Just say you don't like non-linear jrpgs. Even then you DO know you can go to the house with the old lady that made you visible for a helpful hint and a pointer towards the right direction? I beat this shit with no guide at 12. It's 40 hours long just like 4 and 5 was for me. No idea what you're talking about with points 2 or 3.

Attached: Dragon.Quest.VI.full.870518.jpg (997x1465, 287K)

Contrarian opinion here: I think that's for the best. Whips in general are overpowered as fuck in most DQ games without the use of skills. Boomerangs moreso. Anything that puts magic/swords back in the spotlight is only a good thing in my opinion.

>You do realize that the point of the game is to explore?
No no no, fuck off with that noise. I loved 1 and 3, and I even have a bit of a soft spot for 2. Don't give me that "hurr just explore" horseshit excuse. At least 2 had a world map that would kind of tell you where to go. FUCK 6.

easiest option now is 11

3 remake on snes

8 on ps2 not 3ds married Jessica not worth sacristy fps

4 , 5 , 6 remake Ds or mobile it's same

7 remake 3ds ( NEVER PLAY ON PS1 )

9 is obsolete since most of endgame rely on online service which is long gone

never touch 1 and 2

So you don't have any actual argument. I already told the old lady (Granmaz in the translated SNES version idr the remake name) will give you a hint if you're absolutely desperate.

I'm guessing they never really intended her whips to get that insane. Since she can do more damage than the Hero which is crazy.So forcing players to use her for actual magic was what they wanted it to be but they messed up in the PS2 version.

>Level 48
>Full Erdrick equipment
>Can't beat Zoma

Attached: photo_2017-06-08_01-00-28.jpg (418x237, 13K)

>So you don't have any actual argument.
You didn't state an argument, so there's no need for one.
>I already told the old lady (Granmaz in the translated SNES version idr the remake name) will give you a hint if you're absolutely desperate.
>Granny's hint for a good 20 hours of the game
>"Hey, you should absolutely find your true dream self! And also find the statues of your comrades. Okay I'm done you can sleep in the house"
She's objectively useless and did NOT tell you specifically where to go.

Again, fuck off.

Are you using the orb of light at the start of the battle?

>Builders 2 next month
>haven't played DQ2 yet
Fuck, better get around to that. How long are DQ 1 and 2? I've only played from 3 onwards.

Just beat Dragon Quest 1. Fun game. What do I do now? I know the SFC English translation of DQ2 is bugged, so that's off the list. I guess I should move onto the Game Boy Color version of 2?

NES if you're a masochist
SNES if you're a graphicsfag
GBC if you're a completionist
Mobile has a translation that's more consistent with the modern DQ games than the first two options, but it's missing a bunch of content that they both had

Yes
My sage and priest still die like nothing
Sage even has sage orb,, but if Zoma wants to he just fucks them over

1 is like 10 hours at most, and 2 is like 20-25.

first two *remakes

9 hours on average for 1. I'd say 20 or so hours on average for 2.

>I guess I should move onto the Game Boy Color version of 2?
I would actually recommend mobile, but if you can't do that, GBC is fine. You could also continue on the SNES version, but I would recommend a LOT of rotating save states and backing up your saves. Honestly though, not that worth it on the SNES.

GBC or mobile version of 2. Both are fine.

>objectively useless
she carried me through the game as a kid I don't know what you're talking about

Attached: 6322aa1763c1ed8eecb0038e55f45f15.jpg (862x1070, 235K)

Yea if you want to go chronologically

Jeez you're unlucky as fuck. I think Zoma is beatable at like level 40. Especially apparent because the game stops giving you real level ups at that point.

Use lots of insulatle and buff spells. Even when he's doing disruptive waves, you want to focus on keeping your guys buff as fuck.

it's actually his son

>son appear already in 2 hours movie

I have ONLY played IX, it was very fun to do those missions with friends and dressing up your party.

I don't even like Dragon Quest, but I bought DQXI and played it to completion just for the aesthetic.

Attached: shibata.png (1809x685, 1.32M)

The problem is if I use buff spells, he breathes using that window, if I heal, he focuses on someone to fuck them over anyway and can't buff.
I tried both controlling my guys myself and letting the pc take over, the second option works a bit better because the pc makes decisions mid turn so can revive people who died in that turn, but he still kills me eventually

What level is recommended for the DQ11 act 3 final boss? I tried him at 60 but he destroyed me.

no joke.

SNES versions of 1 and 2 are much more playable, but SNES version of 2 has some weird glitches

Just to make sure, you are using the sword of light as an item to get rid of his barrier right, right?

you might just want to do the electro light trick and max everyone out. are you remembering to use the super sword of light?

Even if he breathes, he's still basically taking a turn to do that instead of whatever the fuck else he's going to do. Don't be afraid to use your usable items either. I think I had my hero pulling double duty on everything.

The only thing you have to make sure is that ONE person is put on permanent attack duty, and making sure the first buff that comes out is Insulatle, then Oomph onto your attacker. He should then just be put on "Show No Mercy" and let go wild while everyone else focuses on buffs, debuffs, and heals.

Also, don't be afraid to let yourself take a loss or two just to spend time and figure out what spells do and do not work on him. Cast each spell 3 times and find out if he gets hit by them.

I've run into one on my own (Beran curse sidequest), but I still can't shake off the feeling I need to be doing more than just frequent back-ups.

I guess I'm retarded.

>dat Bianca
Why though?

>tfw i had all my gold on me

Attached: Dragon Warrior I.png (475x432, 28K)

I beat him at 75-ish with un-optimal equipment
As long as you can take a hit you'll be fine

What class should I change warrior martial artist

>One level short of Evac to boot.
You were born under one hell of a star, user.

>insulatle, kabuff2x, attack
Ez

I had the fortune of stumbling around and only finding this dungeon when I was fairly overleveled

i bought and enjoyed XI, kinda want to try out the earlier ones now
how are the phone ports of 1-3? i know they kinda form a trilogy and you can play rest of the series in any order

Attached: 1541773392638.jpg (633x640, 93K)

See

>how are the phone ports of 1-3?
They're typically the recommended versions for people to get.

Current DQ3 party:
Hero - sexy personality is OP
Warrior -> Sage - magic caster with a shit ton of HP, is somewhat physically competent, but MP is a little lacking
Priest -> Warrior - powerhouse Paladin-type gal who knows every Priest spell and generally serves as a backup healer
Mage -> Fighter - agility's almost maxed out, knows every Mage spell, including Oomph, and can turn into a fucking dragon that can bypass a Metal Slime's defenses

DQIII's class system is so simple yet so easy to get sucked into.

Attached: my_party_from_dq3_by_luminous_lubina-da9s8ft.jpg (797x1003, 223K)

Playing 4 on the NES right now and holy shit is it a long game.

Nearly done with DQ2 again and after that DQ3. Just wondering what my party should be on my second run. Thinking Hero, Mage, Priest, Goof-Off.

Do you want two Sages in your party? Sounds like overkill.

I beat him at level 40 on the NES version, you should be fine.

I mean I already played it once with your party. Feel adding a Goof-Off would make it slightly more challenging and fun. As for getting 2 Sages overkill maybe but whatever.

Priest, Priest, Priest, Priest

Attached: Black Mage Nintendo Power 8-bit.png (154x172, 8K)

>gigaflash
>gigaflash
>gigaflash
How do you deal with this shit?

Attached: 13371832694_7cc86b4c0c_b.jpg (1024x576, 109K)

Best party in FF1 is just 4 Fighters. Since you never need to buy anything outside of potions and status recover stuff.

As for DQ3 never had a Goof-Off in a party so feel it should give a bit more interesting playing it.

So about the Terry's Wonderland remakes, can I play this on Citra and with the translation patch? Stupid questions but I'm not too good with those kinds of stuff and I don't want to pirate my 3DS. Also are the rom and patch easy to find?

Attached: 43828070_473116079763086_5899279091638468608_n.jpg (480x478, 17K)

I think you mean Black Belts. Fighters still need expensive equipment.

No they don't. Just do handmedowns with the gear you find in dungeons. The only time you buy anything is at the start of the game and that's it. They do good damage even with alright weapons. And you never need to grind with them. Black Belts do insane damage but you need to actually grind them to get them to that point unlike Fighters.

>Also are the rom and patch easy to find?
pastebin.com/9wmQbgGG

hot opinions coming through
Jessica is ugly

Thanks a lot friend

Attached: DQ 3 Warrior.jpg (516x900, 83K)

so comfy

also, more!

How can one man be so gay?

Right opinion. Literally every DQ girl is cuter. Pink haired Moonbrooke a best

Good taste.

Attached: Moonbrooke murderous stare.jpg (400x746, 48K)

I just started DQVIII. Is this game grindy heavy?

I got to the cave to retrieve the crystal ball but I die like it's nothing.

if you die in the first dungeon I don't know what to tell you because the game isn't really grindy

try to be at level 5 or 6

There's a pattern regarding his move list. Find that out and things should be easier.

Idunno. Should I have purchased some equipment before going?

Is SNES the best to play DW3 on? I used to play it on a tablet, but that was a while ago, so I might as well start over. Game isn't too long right? I want to be able to clear all of them before the new one comes out for the Switch.

it never hurts to upgrade your gear so do that if you have enough money. Also interact with everything when you're in a town, house or whatever, you may find some gear that you can sell or equip

100 hours to beat the lord of shadows on strong monster mode... DQ11 of course. How did I do??

Either GBC or IOS/Android are the best version.

>CHILDHOOD: "wow dragon quest is fun! i love it!"
>ADOLESCENCE: "ugh dragon quest? it's so boring, they never do anything interesting with the gameplay"
>ADULTHOOD: "dragon quest is the best of the JRPG genre. it is literally unmatched by any other, and every entry in its franchise can hold up against any other game. forget jrpgs, dragon quest might just be the pinnacle of video games as a whole."

>DW3
>"game isn't too long right?"
it'll eat a bunch of your time up especially if you don't use a guide at all. it's a god tier game, so just enjoy it. besides, trying to finish all the DQ titles before XI comes out on switch is futile: 7 is in that lineup and it's the one of the longest JRPGs ever made.

Is it the grinding or what's the deal with 7?

It's not really grinding, it just is that long. The PSX version is even longer, with the 3DS one having some stuff cut out and streamlined in some places to make it more manageable. YMMV on how much of it you would consider "filler" but most people agree that it's a fantastic game. The only real question is which version to play, and that's going to be based on your opinion about the modern DQ translations.

exactly what user said. 7 is just one of the longest JRPGs to exist. IIRC on PSX it could last for more than 100 hours but with the 3DS version, it can last for around 80 hours

It should be noted that's also just the play time for merely finishing the game. Getting 100% completion is gonna add another 50 or so hours.

This is this only Dragon Quest anything I've ever touched....can it come to Switch

Attached: 1d8de01dec72e61e8a05eccc05199cee.jpg (500x607, 69K)

If you have a hacked 3DS, you should play the fan translations of the DQM games on it. They completely blow Joker out of the water.

first dungeon is one of the hardest parts, don't listen to these ginks

I just finished DQ1 on NES.

Where do I go from here?

So that 16-bit style of DQ11 that was teased by Nintendo, do we know if that's limited to the Nintendo release of the game? Or was it a standalone DQ product on its own? It looks super charming and I'd like to try it over the existing DQ11, but I don't want to buy DQ11 again honestly.

>NES version
damn, that's intense. you might think it'd be good to play 2 on NES as well, but it's notorious for the devs not having time to balance it. if you're interested in 2, I'd highly recommend trying the GBC version contained in "dragon warrior 1 + 2." people shit on it, but it's not a bad game at all, just a bit obtuse. no shame using a guide on that one.
after that, play the gbc version of 3, because it's one of the best jrpgs overall and one of the best titles in the series, too.

Some of my fondest gaming memories are PS1 DQVII. Also 9 is great even strictly offline.

>Begging neckbeards for approval
0 points.

i'm pretty sure that's part of the base game in the switch version.

it's still possible to access dq9's postgame material, but it needs to be done via emulation and save editing. there's a tool for it on romhacking dot net i'm pretty sure. and even without that stuff, 9's still a pretty solid title all around, like a modernized version of 3 (though pretty linear unfortunately).

What's the differences?

Attached: 1558547627400.jpg (447x336, 30K)

well, there are some stuff about saying that a new dragon quest monsters is on the works, so maybe?

>Even by the time of Chrono Trigger he was starting to phone it in
What did he mean by this?

Attached: 9d0e9537b1e9b28a38839bc6d9ad0ed5.jpg (1280x935, 306K)

more monsters better gameplay bigger world better story
it's literally just the same shit but better everything
youtube.com/watch?v=h0MZ-WrMFRg

>tfw the only reason DQ feels "modern" to me is because Toriyama is a recognizable artist
Any other game from that era feels terribly old. But Toriyama doesn't change. It's a good feel.

I played IV on android and V on the DS.
I got a bit fed up with the Zenithian stuff, so I thought about tackling the first triogy next

play the gbc versions of 1-3

I don't remember but I think it involved abusing tension and magic burst+elvin elixirs.

I just started VIII a few days ago. It's the first DQ I've played and I'm liking it so far. The photography stuff is fun.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa - 19 [720p].mkv_snapshot_13.19_[2019.01.04_14.17.32].jpg (1280x720, 118K)

Mobile versions of 1 and 2 are great. 3 mobile is missing some stuff, but still fine overall. SNES has more content and GBC has the most content.

So who's your favorite DQ girl? Mines pic related.

Attached: holythwack.png (458x450, 353K)

>you will never ride Bjorn
T-there will be localized remake on Switch eventually, r-right?

Attached: 009.jpg (400x240, 46K)

Sophia.
I think it's the hair.

Attached: __heroine_dragon_quest_iv_and_etc_drawn_by_hankuri__5e40c754ad90b1d529d00c683736dbc3.jpg (433x650, 59K)

A couple of days ago I beat Zoma for the first time with my average party lvl being around lvl 33, you can do it user.

>tfw want to play builders but lack creativity to make cool stuff

That’s how I know you have shit taste

It's more of a city builder game than straight up Minecraft.

see , the hardest part of DQVIII is getting through that first 30 minutes when you're basically a toddler hitting things with a stick

What are the good DQ songs

Funny how SONY always wins

nintendosoup.com/mysterious-dragon-quest-xi-s-ps4-disc-appears-in-japan/

Attached: 15161.jpg (442x270, 20K)

Some please post the beginner's guide again.

Just beat I, II, III on mobile (fantastic games). What are the best versions of IV, V, VI?

Just get them on mobile.

Shit, wrong comment to reply to. Here.

Awaiting a remake of Dragon Quest III in a 3d enviroment. You can literally call it "Dragon Quest 3D". It's literal money!

Attached: 82d8d85b1f66a78e5431eb430d44cf7d_1920_KR.jpg (1000x1000, 78K)

Who else is getting Builders 2?

Yuji Horii says we're more likely to see XII get released first

there aren't any flaws to fix so there's no point remaking it

Sophia is the best DQ girl, but as far as nameless classes; I have to go with the female Sage. DQ 9 had a lot of great class art, the favorite being the Armamentalist, but the Thief, Warrior, Paladin etc are all stellar.

Attached: __sage_dragon_quest_and_dragon_quest_iii_drawn_by_matsuryuu__989926579144eaa70351415c4f75f335.jpg (850x1200, 922K)

Why does some of the music in V remind me of Super Mario Galaxy?

this franchise has less decent titles than ff
its like 3 games out of numbered 11 is playable
the whole rest is just boring slow trash

Attached: 15172141_p0.jpg (1200x855, 447K)

They take place in the same universe.

Jessica and her mom Rosalind Albert.

zoom zoom

I'm not done with 8 yet but I'm liking Medea more than I first thought I would, but that might just be my inner hipster since Jessica is so popular. Is Red a marriage option on the 3DS version? Toriyama's tsurime eyes are my greatest weakness.

How do I play V? I tried playing it on DraStic but it says the rom is encrypted

Switch has the Orchestrated soundtrack and there's a quick mod for the PC version that's been out for a long time. Stop being lazy.

Whatever you prefer honestly. If you're not a hardcore fan it doesn't matter. I prefer the DS one because I hate how they feel on mobile.

>DQ8 with the restored costumes and music is a .3ds file and not a .cia
fuck me

DQV you can recruit monsters to join your party like any regular member of a DQ game, DQM is more like Pokemon.

>Win
>Have to pay twice to play and enjoy the best version

Attached: 1ba6eec2723a4b890b01bb654605600e.0.jpg (720x540, 37K)