Can we just have a Doom thread without the constant shitflinging between people who like the new Doom and the people...

Can we just have a Doom thread without the constant shitflinging between people who like the new Doom and the people who hate it? This is a thread for the non-autistic people who like both the new and old Doom.

>What is your favorite Doom game?
>What is your favorite wad or megawad?
>What is your favorite enemy type?
>Are you liking how Eternal is looking so far? What things about it excite you and what things worry you?

Attached: doom_box.jpg (350x468, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zo5Mf4GqvOw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What is your favorite Doom game
Doom 1
Haven't played enough of them to decide yet.
>What is your favorite enemy type
Baron of Hell, surely.
>Are you liking how Eternal is looking so far? What things about it excite you and what things worry you?
I do, but I'm only a bit worried about platforming sections and the HUD, but they don't seem to be that bad and HUD is growing on me. Gonna be a great game.

Attached: 1560625157781.jpg (960x960, 74K)

I wished I liked old doom but it's just not for me.

Nigga I was the same way. I played old Doom for the first time last year and thought it was really boring. Dropped it after finishing the first episode and never looked back. I just recently went back to it after finishing 2016 because of the Eternal hype and something about it just clicked. Maybe it was seeing what made it different from 2016 but it was a pretty awesome experience. The level design, the music, the combat encounters, everything just hit me at once. Its such a well-designed game and still feels great to play almost 30 years later. Played through Doom 1 and 2 in a matter of days and am currently playing through 64. Probably going to be playing some mods for 2 after because I just want more. I'd give it another go in a few months or maybe a year user, its well worth it.

DooM 2
The Western wad. I don't know if people remember that one. Was big back in 95. It was just goofy. [Spoiler]Ooooh ya got me ouch ooch[/spoiler]
Cyberdemon. He was just really fun in DooM 2, appearing as just an enemy on some levels.
It looks fun but I still worry about the level design and wish it had real coop and mod support.

I'm the opposite and thought that it was novel and surprisingly fun playing kditd for the first time and as I played the whole thing I felt more and more done with it the longer I went.

I think it's the combination of the simplicity of the game meaning there's not a lot to brush up on beyond your basics and the way the game actually finds difficulty without those mechanics at hand, resource management and dungeon navigating. If you play continuous those things are barely an issue as you can just plow through everything with your supplies from last level so it's a breeze, but if you play pistol start then you have to play very slowly until you find something good.

I dunno. It just bugs me. Maybe I'll try it later, or maybe I'll just move to quake.

>>What is your favorite Doom game?
doom 2
>>What is your favorite wad or megawad?
alien vendetta
>>What is your favorite enemy type?
cacodemon
>>Are you liking how Eternal is looking so far? What things about it excite you and what things worry you?
im hype, less arena battles and more organic battles. new hud looks like garbage tho

Attached: 1532444800058.png (672x1920, 511K)

>Favourite Doom
DooM (2016)
>Favourite (mega)wad
Havenn't played any
>Favourite enemy type
Mancubus
>How's Eternal?
As long as it is along the same wavelength as DooM, I might buy it if it is on Steam.

try gameplay mods, start with smooth doom (with vertical aim) and go from there. other beginner mods would be project msx for halo experience, brutal doom for modernized experience and hideous destructor for tacticool experience

>Favorite doom game
'16
>favorite wad?
I haven't played any of them but evilution which still counts as an iwad apparently, maybe someday
>favorite enemy type?
Revenants maybe
>how's eternal?
The only thing I really don't like is how the art design has shifted and how it looks like they might be playing a bit too hard into the metal power fantasy angle. Getting like, obnoxious about how cool doomguy/slayer is instead of letting it be self-apparent, getting too self-referential, etc. Everything in Eternal seems louder, and I felt like Doom 2016 having a narrative, but being very subdued about it was one of its strengths.
Everything else about it looks good though

>as I played the whole thing I felt more and more done with it the longer I went.
Might be because the games levels get far worse as it goes on. Especially if you count episode 4. If you ever get back to it, I'd recommend trying the PC port of Doom 64 before dropping the series entirely. It will surprise you with how good it is. And also it gets much, much harder as it goes on so if you think its too easy at the start don't worry it gets brutal later on. I have no idea how people beat some of the later levels on the highest difficulty with a fucking n64 controller.

the PC doom 64 wad doesn't really look like doom 64 is my problem with it. Is there a mod or something that allows you to play the full doom 64 experience on PC?

Doom was literally only fun in the old school days. There’s just something so satisfying about one shotting pixilated monsters with a shotgun.

there is no "new doom" except 1337.wad, now fuck off zenimax shill

>stand still, occasionally gently moving right to dodge a fireball as you slowly pump a cacodemon full of six shots because the game hasn't given you a power weapon yet

riveting

Doom 1. I've played through the first three episodes several times, but Thy Flesh Consumed still scares me off with those first two maps why are there so many fucking Barons Currently I'm playing through Doom II and for the first time in years I managed to power through MAP12 and MAP13 without wanting to drop it. I don't even remember the rest of the game at this point.
I haven't played any fan-made wads yet. I feel like I should focus on gitting gud at the stock levels before diving into that. Doom II is roughing me up.
I might have to say the Imp. Love the feeling of coming up on a horde of imps when I have the super shotgun or some rockets to blow. Knocking them down three at a time with one super shotgun blast, or gibbing the whole crowd of them with rockets, it's all good fun.

Shoutout to Revenants and Arachnotrons, they can be a pain to deal with sometimes but they both have very satisfying death sounds.
I haven't really looked into Doom Eternal too much, but I liked Doom 2016 a lot so I've got faith this'll be good too.

I just played it for the first time about a month ago and it was a blast. Still fun.

I love old Doom but this is its biggest problem. People say that Doom 2 didn't add much but the super shotgun was actually one of the best quality of the life improvements in any game ever just because you could kill things so much faster with the shotgun. Also its one of the reasons why I love both new and old Doom. I go to old Doom for the exploration and level design, but I go to new Doom for top-tier FPS combat. I really hope Eternal can find a way to mix the old style of level design and the new style of combat because if they do it right it'll be fucking GOAT.

DOOM (2016) > Doom > Doom 2 >>> Doom 3
>What is your favorite wad or megawad
UAC Labs
>What is your favorite enemy type
Baron or Cacodemon
Looks pretty good desu, I'm really looking forward to the arcade-y platforming elements that have been thrown in, also the level design looks fantastic.
I'm a bit worried about the player invasion thing and the weapon variety though.

Attached: doom.jpg (906x813, 110K)

Apparently Eternal will heavily encourage (i.e. make) you to use the glory kills, which sucks because I really don't like them, according to this guy youtube.com/watch?v=zo5Mf4GqvOw Otherwise that video actually made me more optimistic, might get it when it's on sale some time

Doom 1
i really like both TNT and Plutonia. i didn't play many, just a couple more.
everyone
if true, the fact they slowed down the gameplay is extremely disappointing.

>Guy saying it sounds like they resurrected the old id spirit of having an idea, being all "that sounds cool" and then throwing it in the game
I'm worried.

Somebody needs to be there to stop Sandy Petersen from pulling a "hidden Arch-Vile and three chaingunners as you drop down into an extremely exposed arena" stunt

But nu-Doom is garbage though. At least Eternal is looking a bit better.

gameplay wise it looks literally the same, what are you on about?

I just don't really get glory kills inclusion at all. Hugo said that he was inspired by BB's health mechanics where you can get back lost health by attacking enemies but wouldn't the same effect be achieved by just having enemies drop shit when you shoot them? This way it wouldn't slow down gameplay either.

Ignore him hes just trying to bait people

Yeah

This
Just report and ignore

Attached: the faggot in the doom threads.png (791x121, 12K)

Eternal at least has designs looking better and the game appears to be more fluid in its pace.

Enemies do still drop shit if you shoot them at low health, a glory kill is just a guaranteed "die and give me 20 health right now" if you want to be absolutely sure.

As someone who's played a good bit of ultra nightmare 90% of the time you should just be shooting enemies to finish them off, people seriously overstate how good glory kills are. Even if you're critically low and desperately need the health you're putting yourself at risk of getting decked the second you get out of it. Enemies are still repositioning and might be advancing on you while you're in the animation even if they're programmed to not start a new attack until you get out of it, that can still put you in a situation where dodging isn't feasible (if say, an imp runs in behind you and goes for a punch the second you get out of the animation) or a situation where you're at far greater risk of death than you were had you just kept your distance and tried to control the fight at your low health.

Also the health they give you gets more and more negligible as you get above 50 to the point where you're getting like 5 health per kill. Or lower.

There's risk and reward to it.

>tfw always liked heretic better than doom
I feel like a freak, nobody ever talks about heretic

To be honest I greatly prefer new doom's take on hell as hostile and alien and the zombies with the giant freaky holes in their heads over the more traditional fire and brimstone demons.

>everyone is worried about Eternals hud or platforming
>not being worried about the FUCKING 1UP SYSTEM
This whole "arcade" style they have going on is really not something I'm for. In fact its funny because Romero literally said that they didn't use lives in Doom because they didnt want it to be like an arcade game.

its more oldschool than doom 2016 by the looks of it

Cacodemon best demon.

Doom1 (
Ancients Aliens
Shotgun Guy
Look ok. They stepped up their enemy design. No modding support again could kill it though

Doom 1
Cchest 4, THT Threnody
Arch Vile and Cybie
It looks okay. Worried about how slow it looks. New Cybie looks sick. I just hope they're faithful to my favorite demons.

DOOM II
Scythe II
Revenant
Looks OK, I like the enemy redesigns and that it draws some inspiration from the underrated DOOM 64

Attached: 1559231440671.jpg (670x531, 44K)

Man I can't wait to see how they deal with Icon of Sin.

Why would you play Doom when Quake exists?

>THEY ARE NO LONGER YOUR PEOPLE TO SAVE

What did God mean by this?

Attached: D9UFfkeU0AAXN4E.png (1175x1200, 443K)

That's not God, it's Lucifer

Relatively new to the series so sorry if these answers aren't and super-fan worthy stuff.
>fav DOOM game
Doom 1
>Favorite wad
Honestly, I haven't really dabbled into the wads yet. Brutal doom looks pretty neat though.
>Favorite enemy type
Cyber Demons
>Are you liking eternal
YES. Looks like 2016 but lots more colorful (One problem I had with 16 was how a lot of the scenery was kinda dark and looked the same as the last)
I'm worried about the invasion mechanic, I hope it's toggleable. Sure that might remove the fun, but having a hacker join your game on the 1 life difficulty would suck no matter how good you are.

Attached: 1560527865688.png (500x380, 126K)

>Doom known for its modding potential
>Bethesda games known for their modding potential
>Bethesda's Doom game isn't moddable
>But they pretend to care by having weapon attachments called mods in reference to modding
What happened? I can't even think of any mods I'd want from nuDoom, I'm just confused.

Is archvile pronounced phonetically or like arkvile?

I found Quake kind of annoying. Most of the enemies are no fun to fight, and ammo is too scarce. I like the atmosphere, though.

...They could make DLC based on famous difficult mods, would that make you happy?

phonetic

Is this the same guy who said the "rip and tear until it is done" line in the last game?

No.

i assumed that part was from some bizarre arcade mode or challenge room. the heavy platforming and 1UP pickups just looked out of place.

no

Attached: doomcover.jpg (1000x1372, 499K)

>Relatively new to the series
>Brutal doom looks pretty neat though
yeah it shows

aggravates me to no end that people still cling to vanilla doom after all these years when doom 2 added much needed enemy variety

i'd be more forgiving if it looked like something that belonged within the games universe but a literal physical manifestation of a '1up' is so completely jarring it blows my mind how people could ever be on board with it.

As much of an asshole as the Brutal Doom Dev is, the wad itself is not terrible. Just appreciate it for what it is and still hate the guy who made it.

Attached: Doomtime.gif (320x240, 538K)

i think everyone agrees that Doom 1 was a better game for various reasons but Doom 2 was only better in enemy variety and addition of SSG.

I can only play boom doom with the brutal mod.
Zoomdoom is fun but it's a fairly different game.
3 has way too much ambush.

The fact that they're moving towards lorefaggotry and 3d cutscenes in Eternal is bad.

To be fair the level designs in Doom 1 are superior to 2, in Doom 2 the level designers were just fucking dicks in 95% of the maps

What's your favorite level from 2016? Pic related is mine. After an entire game of red and brown, vega processing felt like a breath of fresh air, especially since it's in an environment that you don't really see that often. I also liked the last gauntlet of the level, took me a couple tries to get through it.

Attached: vega processing.jpg (685x385, 70K)

>there will never be a nu-doom wad of a high school that plays Pink Floyd's the wall on repeat

It's the only way I remember, it was on a cd that came with a fuck huge book on haw to make levels for doom.

I got it as a kid but it kicked my ass, I just played the games on the CD and gave up on ever making a map

I have no reason to hate sgt mark, I dont keep up with his controversies I just dislike a few of the core changes brutal doom makes to the base game that I believe are unnecessary but yeah its does get too much flak and is far from terrible

Basically all of the early levels. Going through it again made me realize how barebones the later levels are. Foundry almost feels like an honest-to-God classic Doom map in how its laid out. But after like the halfway point the game is just linear hallways with arenas every 10 feet. I did appreciate Vega's visuals, though.

What is the worst level in doom 2?

map 1. even as basic as E1M1 is, it feels miles more interesting than that garbage.

The Factory
just because its the beginning of the worst episode

Personally I hated Refueling Station because the enemy spam was just fucking tedious as hell but the worst level is obviously The Chasm. For me Doom 2 started pretty mediocre, then became terrible in the middle, and then ended really well. The final few levels were all really good for the most part.

This as well. I was shocked at how bad the first level was compared to Doom 1's first level. Such a bad first impression.

episodes 2 and 3 aren't that good in doom 1 and episode 1 is too easy. the only really great episode is they flesh consumed

what i dont get about brutal doom is, are you supposed to play original doom maps on it? because it alters enemy behaviors making original maps retroactively bad

>the only really great episode is they flesh consumed

Attached: Toast.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

it fucks the balance too

Doom 1
Haven't played too many yet. Out of what I've played so far though, I'd probably say High Noon Drifter (technically a .pk3). I'm playing through Doom The Way Id Did right now and loving it so far. That might take over if the whole thing stays as strong as its Episode 1.
Cacos, due primarily to seeing people treat them as a pet/mascot character.
Yeah, it looks fun, although I'm disappointed that we still need to acquire weapon alt-fires separately of the weapons instead of just getting them with the weapons. And I'm worried the level design is still gonna be as linear and arena-centric as 2016. Looks good regardless though. Holding out hope for mod support.

Nah, still fun.

Can I just let Catacombs, Barrels O' Hate, Downtown, and Chasm tie?

Attached: 1559681978383.png (466x486, 136K)

N64 emulator and find a way to map the mouse?

The best Doom 2 level is the mansion.

Doom I, for sure. The map design, the soundtrack, the gameplay was way too good for it's time.
>What is your favorite .WAD or mega-.WAD?
John Romero's own sigil, just released recently. It perfectly captures the originals style and map design, and each level is a work of art.
Revenant, no doubt about it. Created by the talented Gregor Punchatz (pic related), it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing models and enemy types. Also you can't deny a skeleton with fucking rocket launchers isn't awesome.
I love how the graphics have progressed, but besides that, without Tom Hall, John Romero and John Carmack it's just dumb zoomer trash. I'll reply with posts explaining why it's dumb zoomer trash (courtesy of user)

Attached: Revenant_model.jpg (1091x1756, 240K)

Thy flesh consumed is the literal worst of the episodes in Doom 1 granted they're still more well designed than Doom 2's maps but they're still the very example of "The level designers were just being massive dicks." Did you ever play on anything higher than hurt me plenty?

Attached: stops.jpg (540x718, 52K)

1/3

Attached: 1560488260012.png (1263x1080, 895K)

rub vaseline on your monitor and limit your fps to 7

2/3

Attached: 1560485813448.png (1230x776, 131K)

Oh you like doom models?

Attached: Reaperminisisthesource.jpg (1500x800, 161K)

Fuck off

3/3

Attached: Capture.png (1876x393, 45K)

Doom 2016. There's just more going on and I like arena combat.
I don't know.
Revenants look cool but they're a pain in my dick
>Are you liking how Eternal is looking so far?
Yes
>What things about it excite you and what things worry you?
I'm a little worried about all the first person platforming and that awful sound that plays when you glory kill. I'm excited about some of the new alt-fire modes and shoulder cannon stuff. It also looks like there will be more exploration and stuff.

Hell yes. Are those yours?

Doom 2

Felt like I was playing some shit heads mod when i saw the number of enemies on screen.

No they're made by Reaper minis I've just been too poor to buy them lately and only recently found out about them about a year ago. They also made another set for the zoomers.

Attached: zoom2016.jpg (2172x2152, 1.46M)

So expensive

Attached: Screenshot_20190619-131856~2.png (1080x1478, 627K)

Don't understand the hate towards nu-DOOM. The development was pretty rocky and it's a miracle it turned out the way it did. People should just be thankful the IP wasn't murdered by Bethesda.

I'm hoping Quake gets the same treatment.

Attached: 2210_screenshots_20190122015138_1.jpg (1280x720, 202K)

>People should just be thankful the IP wasn't murdered by Bethesda.
But it was.

>But it was.
>Doesn't explain how

Here we go

>muh forced story

That much got even worse with Eternal.

Welcome to Hobby Miniatutes user

Anyone happen to know of another good podcast like Intermission? I've never really gotten into podcasts until these guys.

>the PC doom 64 wad doesn't really look like doom 64 is my problem with it. Is there a mod or something that allows you to play the full doom 64 experience on PC?
Are you sure you played the right one? There's several versions of varying quality, but the PC Doom 64 everyone talks about is called Doom64EX. It's a source port that uses the actual rom.

yes i like that each level becomes a puzzle on pistol start

Wait till the fucking game comes out retard.

Why? In the E3 demo alone there were tons of cutscenes, some of which pull you out of first person.

Welcome to the world of minis, can I have your wallet please?

>thread with nu-doom
nu-Yea Forums is real...

Yeah. You're part of it. Fuck off.

>waah waah doom man getting shot out of cannon is STUPIDDD

>the wad itself is not terrible
Eh, Project Brutality and Johnny Doom are much better versions of whatever Brutal Doom is trying to accomplish. It's pretty much obsolete at this point.

stop right there

go away