Mario Odyssey = Banjo Rippoff

Playing the Banjo games now Im finally realizing how much Mario Odyssey is a rippoff of them.

I mean, considering how derivative Banjo is of Mario 64 I think its only fair, but im just saying.

Attached: mariobanjo.jpg (720x490, 64K)

I also found Odyssey similar to Banjo.

Its not just similar, its clearly directly inspired by it and as such deserves some credit

In fairness, the subgenre wasn't very large to begin with and has been in suspended animation for literally decades.

Odyssey is actually good though

Odyssey forgot to include clunky and slow mobility.

Banjo kazooie looked a lot better than Mario 64. Rare were always good at pushing the limits when it came to graphics.

I mean sure but Odyssey takes the concept and makes it better. There is literally nothing wrong with improving whats been laid out before.

You weren't playing very well if you found mobility clunky.

Just because Stardew Valley is an Harvest Moon rip off doesnt mean Harvest Moon is better than Stardew Valley

>banjo invented collecting trinkets
Sure buddy.

t. never played banjo so is incapable of seeing anything beyond the most basic similarity

It's clearly just inspired by it and is a love letter to the Banjo games. Not just trying to shamelessly rip it off. Everything feels like it's trying to be a modern banjo not 1:1.

Fucks sake, Mario's companion has googly eyes and comes from the not-england kingdom. It's pretty on the nose that they took inspiration from Banjo.

The actual collectible system is far worse than Banjos.

>It's clearly just inspired by it and is a love letter to the Banjo games. Not just trying to shamelessly rip it off.
If that's the case it would have been nice for the developers to give it some credit. The makers of undertale and stardew valley have no issue acknowledging earthbound and harvest moon

I don't buy that at all. It's just Mario 64 with a lot more stars. If anything, Mario 64 was more like it because it had the hub world.

I doubt it. Why ripoff a game that can get sequels?

How?

I hate Mario 64 and love Banjo-Kazooie, but Peach's Castle is a million times better than Gruntilda's Lair. Isle 'O' Hags was better than both though.

surely you must have missed the increased emphasis on collectibles, the traveling companion that allows you to make crazy moves, the silly transformations into different creatures, the whimsical npc characters, etc

it literally feels like playing banjo with a mario skin

>Purple coin to world size ratio is atrocious, making it a nightmare to find the last few on top of them not filling out the kingdoms very well
>Trash moons ruin the value of the collectible and the pacing of the game because you literally trip over enough trash moons to move on to the next kingdom before you get to the fun ones

The devs probably never even played Banjo-Kazooie. Westerners are so self-centered it's palpable.

Transformations simply replaced powerups which were already in Mario.
This is just another case of someone looking too deep into what a game is. I remember a few threads here trying to say Dark Souls was a Metroidvania, this is similar to that. At least both of these games are 3D platformers so I'll give you that.

>The devs probably never played the critically acclaimed game thats a direct response to Mario 64

YOU FUCKING RETARD DO YOU KNOW WHAT COPYRIGHT IS THIS ENTIRE SENTENCE IS FUCKING COPYRIGH

>the traveling companion that allows you to make crazy moves
Whoa, you mean like F.L.U.D.D. or Luma?

>Transformations simply replaced powerups which were already in Mario.
This is some Olympic reaching

This better be bait

yeah im sure its illegal to mention on an interview that they were inspired by banjo

This
Odyssey was great but it would have benefited from a couple more collectable types, something like a fixed number of Jinjos that give you a Moon and maybe some hidden collectable that lets you unlock some concept art or something. Purple Coins were fine, but they did feel like a fairly hollow reward for some of the more advanced platforming challenges.

Mario Odyssey fucking sucks it has the same exact problem people attributed to the later Rare games where there's so many collectables that they just lose their value. It doesn't feel good collecting moons in Odyssey because you get them every 5 seconds with little effort. I've never seen a game that made the phrase quality over quantity more correct.

I think the simple Moons and Coins as the only collectibles keep the game focused. Banjo forces players to engage in a lot of activity that simply isn't platforming due to the required Jiggy count being an extremely high ninty-fucking-four. I 100%'d the game, and there's nothing in Mario 64, set aside Odyssey that was quite as annoying as the finale board game. Mario 64 and Odyssey also don't contain 100 notes sprinkled across every one of their stages that players will have to comb the level over for if they miss one.

Mario 64, and Odyssey give the player the freedom to engage in objectives that interest them, and if they don't enjoy a certain segment or activity, they can simply choose to reach the Moon count or Power Star count by doing something else, due to their much more generous, lower required Moon/Star requirement.

I think Note Doors and Portraits have no real reason to be separated into requiring seperate collectibles to open. It's added complexity without added depth, except Notes are just wandering until you collect all 100, at least 64 kept that to a concise 8 red coins just for a couple stars per level, and didn't lock progression behind collecting standard coins, it's only for completionists looking for 120 stars.

Mario Odyssey and 64, both rely on more pure platforming than Banjo does, which relies on a hefty amount of mini-games. Many mini-games require multiple completions to get all their Jiggies. Granted, these mini-games have aged much better than others in games like Spyro, or even a lot of PS2 platformers that derived much of their design from Banjo, but it still doesn't age quite as well as the mostly platform focused 64, and more explorative "micro-goals" of Odyssey.

If they hadn't gone for the 999 meme total the game would have been better for it.

Cut the return visits in the post game and just put all the quality moons out the first time. Cut the trash moons entirely. Bam. The game is now amazing.

Ultimately Mario's controls are better served for linear platforming anyway. The courses are easily the best part of Odyssey and they should have just made another 3D world but with cappy.

>because you literally trip over enough trash moons to move on to the next kingdom before you get to the fun ones
This is objectively untrue since they lock you out of all the random trash moons until you get at least the first major objective in each world, at least if you're not glitching.

>since they lock you out of all the random trash moons
Objectively untrue. You can literally get moons by simply adjusting the fucking camera during the main game.

I fucking knew it that having banjo on smash was a terrible mistake because it would cause a massive influx of furryshiters praising their mediocre childhood game to hell and back

This Banjo reveal has truly exposed how many zoomers are amongst us.

Attached: unhappy-1024x820.jpg (1024x820, 110K)

Attached: 1543112755285.png (658x466, 24K)

So Odyssey is a rip-off of Banjo because
>Cappy has googly-eyes
>There are advanced movement options achieved by your partner (which aren't similar moves whatsoever)
>You can transform (via completely different methods)
>They're the same genre
That doesn't really make it a rip-off. These are coincidences at best.

It doesn't keep the game focused it ruins the pacing

Why would anyone be mad about moons not having a uniform difficulty to access? When you have more than 800 moons accessible to the player and only 120 or so are required to fight Bowser, that gives less experienced players a way to play and beat the game without ever getting stuck on one level. Aside from the second volleyball moon there's nothing in the game so atrocious to get for the unique moon completion rate.

Admittedly I never bothered buying moons out to 999 since I knew grinding out tens of thousands of coins would ruin my experience of the game up to that point.

Attached: 1560359533411.jpg (657x720, 203K)

I explain why dumbass. Pacing.

If you're not shit you stumble over all those easy moons and have no reason to get the fun ones.
One of the fundamental rules of game design is that you must assume the players will always go for the optimal solution, and the optimal solution is trash moons.

>I explain why dumbass. Pacing.
You literally cannot fucking progress without glitches in the game unless you get at least the first major objective in each world, and most of the trash moons remain locked until you get both of the major objectives.

Ok so that's ONE quality moon you have to engage. Brilliant argument shithead

All nostalgia aside, Jak & Daxter >> Banjo & Kazooie

That post was so retarded that you don't deserve a rhyme.

Attached: Grunty SMH.gif (400x225, 328K)

most non-rebuttal rebuttal of video games

The joke here is that Zoomers played the any of the fucking mountain of 3D platformers that came out in the late 90s/early 00s. So Odyssey is their only point of reference.

It didn't forgot to include shitty level design and worthless fetch quests tho

Your argument is that it destroys pacing, which it doesn't since you have to get the major objectives before you can find the trash moons. Additionally, the major objectives usually lead you through at least 3-4 quality moons before the Grand Moon at the end, retard.

Never played*

>the whimsical npc characters

boy, no video game has ever had THESE before or after Banjo

Hmmm.... it’s not quite a ripoff, Banjo, especially Tooie, has much better quest design.

But if Threeie ever does get made, it should look toward Odyssey for inspiration, like the original Kazooie did for 64. Odyssey is the way the franchise would have evolved had it not been meddled with by MS execs methinks.

Banjo’s movement is anything BUT clunky. You have little in the way of stopping your momentum in Banjo like you do in Mario. Literally learn to use the Talon Trot you dumb nigger.

No, but it perfected it.

*grabs popcorn

To be honest, before Nintendo's E3 Direct started, with the Banjo figure being teased beforehand, I thought it'd be awesome if Odyssey got crossover DLC with Banjo. Was a pipe dream though.

Because Nintendo don’t own the Banjo license?

Banjo has actual GOOD quest design, instead of just having you do fetch quests or finding random Jiggies just lying around.

>Odyssey also don't contain 100 notes sprinkled across every one of their stages that players will have to comb the level over for if they miss one.
Purple coins, you dont have to do them but its a similar idea

Banjo Kazooie DLC for Mario Odyssey when?

Attached: 1463187803741.png (160x224, 6K)

There are similarities but Odyssey is miles ahead of Banjo in terms of fun. The dynamic transformation that are actually fun and give you abilities that you didn't have before are a big reason as to why Odyssey is superior to Banjo.
In Banjo
>have to collect random shit to even allow transformation
>have to reach some dude in a specific area of the level to transform
>have to watch an unskippable cut scene that lasts like 30 seconds
>enjoy playing as a lump of shit that moves at a snail's pace, has no abilities that are fun or interesting other than "it can crawl in some spaces Banjo couldn't"
>go back when you hit the couple of switches that required the transformation and resume having fun

In Odyssey the transformation and returning to Mario is seamless and the majority of them are fun to use and mess around with, and they aren't just the same shit as Mario except twice as slow and with no fucking moves. This is also why Yooka fails miserably, all the transformations and minigames are painful as fuck to play through. Then there's the fact that Mario has far better platforming and level design.

Attached: 1560188464639.jpg (1473x1061, 280K)

Yes, for the LAST FUCKING TIME. Banjo is NOT MEANT TO FOCUS ON PLATFORMING. It’s focused on fluid and free flowing open exploration.

Odyssey focuses on both platforming and exploration. That's why that game is a fucking masterpiece and Yooka (which is a Banjo clone) is a complete failure that makes you feel literally zero fun while playing.

>newer game that takes inspiration from a 20 year old classic is an improvement
Well no shit Sherlock. What’s honestly impressive is that both Banjo games still manage to hold up so well to this day, despite using many dated design principles.

banjo sucks. i unironically would have preferred another fe character

taking notes from good games is how the industry has always worked
shooters used to be called doom clones

Yooka wasn’t designed by Gregg Miles, the lead designer for Banjo. It was designed by like 3 guys from Rare, the composer, the artist, and a programmer.

Yooka is also hardly a failure considering it sold over 1m copies according to Playtonic. Not bad at all for the first game of a new company made up of retired devs. A game that btw, was only asking for £200,000 in initial funding, and blasted through to meet £2 million. You fucking imbecile.

>Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece
Yes, and so are the N64 Banjo games which it clearly takes inspiration from. Comparing the two us also fucking retarded as there’s a 20 year gap between the two, and comparing Odyssey to Yooka is even MORE stupid as it’s not even the same franchise and it’s not made by the same people, most notably THE LEAD GAME DESIGNER FOR BANJO FRANCHISE.

Except they don't hold up so well, especially Tooie, because they've been surpassed and improved by even mediocre piece of shit tranny infested indies like Hat in Time. BK and BT feel outdated, BK is barely saved by the genuinely inspired and soulful characters and level design, BT on the other hand is hot trash, same with DK64. Before you accuse me of being a zoomer, I think that BK is my favorite game on the N64 (other than OOT\MM which is actually a game that holds up completely to this day and surpasses many modern games too), I still love the game out of pure nostalgia, but it is deeply flawed even compared to contemporaries like SM64 or even Spyro.

back to your containment thread, smelly smashtard

Yeah I noticed this from the start, Odyssey is like a M64/Banjo hybrid.

>implying this thread doesnt exist simply because banjo was recently announced

BT surpases BK in a number of ways, and you’d know this if you’d bothered to play it instead of shitpost about it on Yea Forums.

I don’t believe for a second you’ve played BK, let alone BT. Tooie is an objective and more focused improvement on what made BK great, and the only people who hate it are contrarian bandwagoners who want “le epic street cred” point on the internet. Real fans of Banjo love both games, even if they prefer one over the other, and that’s cause Tooie is the perfect sequel.
>b-but Glitter Gulch Mine!!
You mean the level that was scrapped from Kazooie due to tile constraints?
Idiot.

>zoomer to stupid to realize Banjo threads were normal on Yea Forums well before Smash autism took over the board.

You’re like those morons who don’t recognize the sarcasm in the Rance posts we have from time to time. Lurkmoar.

My comparison between SMO\YL was to show that Nintendo has actual talent and was able to merge the best parts of their Mario legacy with elements from other games (like Banjo), while the guys who made YL, despite proclaiming themselves as being the new Rare failed miserably on all fronts. I don't care if the game sold 1M, it was complete shit (and the 2.5D sequel they're shitting out is just embarrassing tbqh).

Ok, YL was not made by Rare. And idk why you’re bringing it into the conversation when it’s not Banjo. It’s not a substitute for Banjo and it doesn’t suit your case. Banjo hasn’t had a 3D platformer since Tooie. Almost 20 years ago. Y-L has as much credibility to stand in for it as AHiT, especially, since once again, Gregg Mayles, lead Game Designer for Banjo, had NO INVOLVEMENT WITH Y-L AT ALL. Games are made by PEOPLE not company brands. The talent behind Banjo DID NOT MAKE Y-L.

cant we all just get along?

I played BT on an emulator because the game was hard to find back then. Since the game crashed often on pj64, I remember coding a program myself in C that automatically pressed F5 (savestate) every 10 minutes so that I wouldn't have to backtrack for 20 minutes after every crash. I also drew maps myself of the levels on a notepad. I enjoyed it at the time but not as much as BK, by Cloud Cuckoland I was starting to get tired of the backtracking and convoluted levels. Nowadays BT is completely unappealing to me, kinda like Goldeneye. I honestly wish Playtonic never decided to make a Banjo rehash and instead focused on a game that actually deserved a second chance that still included platforming and collecting elements, I'm obviously talking about Jet Force Gemini.

>The talent behind Banjo DID NOT MAKE Y-L.
This didn't stop them to cash into the nostalgia by claiming it was a rare-vival of the buddy duo platformer from the N64 era.

It’s called marketing retard. Welcome to the adult life.

Im so fucking sick of banjo threads

Actually, Odyssey was inspired by Mario 64.

Attached: karen-meangirls.jpg (2048x1503, 141K)

Actually Odyssey is a Croc rippoff

You’re gonna be seeing a lot more of then from now on. Even if that new game leak is false, a Banjo revival is not too far on the horizon after Smash. If we get a Rarevival, you’re gonna be seeing WAYYY more Banjo on Yea Forums.

banjo has always been mario for furries

No it hasn’t.

I always thought the gamecube era games had the worst fanbase.

>I knew grinding out tens of thousands of coins would ruin my experience of the game up to that point.
Since they added the multiplayer balloon thing it's super easy to get a ton of coins

I'll have to revisit Odyssey some time for the balloon game. That always seemed like a much more entertaining way to get coins instead of running through the one screen at Bowser's Castle over and over again.

Attached: 1559686194346.gif (540x405, 95K)

yoshi is so fucking gay. I love him

Odyssey was much better than the Banjo games. Banjo is still pretty good, though.

Thats not the point

Stardew Valley was also much better than the Harvest Moon games

Nah, it's ALWAYS been the N64 kids. They've hyped up the only 4/5 good games they had to unbeleivable proportions to compensate for how small the library was.

Stop falseflagging seethy stevie and go back to your discord already.

>to get the fun ones.
Yeah, because it's not like fun is entirely subjective. There are plenty of people who would find it fun to just see whatever it is they can do to get moons. Once you complete that worlds primary objective, every other moon is just a means to keep in that world, so there is nothing wrong with allowing players various ways of collecting moons.