Goodbye 8th gen, hello 9th

So the 8th Generation of consoles is finally coming to a close. What are your thoughts on this console generation overall? What expectations do you hold for the 9th generation that will fully begin next year?

Attached: 83f3c0cc394dca71f3632e907bb9269700319f8f_hq.jpg (800x554, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

is2.Yea
youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA
youtube.com/watch?v=cjo-9a9KLQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=1qjX23lCPKY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It feels like the 8th gen never really started. It feels like we're still in the opening months where nobody's really made any games yet and we're still waiting to see who will put the best foot forward. But we've been here for over 5 years.

What about ps vita and 3ds? Those were probably the best platforms this gen

Same and its not just a feeling its a quantifiable fact. Both the PS4 and Xbox have only a fraction of exclusive their predecessors had and even the exclusives they are mostly 7th gen games but in higher res.

Its a truly wasted generation and the next will probably be even worse.

Attached: Orange+thanos+_a4dbeb5d919375ced5040b8b635d8337.jpg (326x216, 13K)

Xbox literally didn't exist. PS4 had just a few exclusives worth playing, sorry watching, at best. Switch literally has billions of ACTUALLY FUN games and more are on the way and doesn't seem to be replaced in the short term. Switch won this gen.

Overall pretty good when it comes to games but at the same time disapointing in how things ended out.

>Sony being subverted by california jews
>Microsoft merely pretending to be in the console business
>Nintendo leaving the home console market

And then there are all those rumors about physical media being silently removed and exclusives not really being a thing anymore, the future for video games is depressing.

I can understand that. I think it feels like that because the 7th gen was so meaty. The lifespan of the 360, PS3, and Wii really felt like it had a proper beginning, middle, and end. It comparison nothing too notable has came from this gen, it feels like we're finally reaching the middle but it's already the end.

>Yea Forums: "I hate consoles! PC all the way!"
>Yea Forums then proceeds to buy the next gen console

hmm..

>Yea Forums is one person

>Switch literally has billions of ACTUALLY FUN games and more are on the way and doesn't seem to be replaced in the short term

Like what?

8th gen seemed like an experimental phase. It took everyone a while to get over their own hardware gimmicks and then it was about having the highest resolution and shit. Hopefully 9th gen just realises games will sell hardware not specs

Diablo 3, Skyrim, Crash team racing, Rocket league, Crawl

Switch belongs to the 9th Gen though

>It feels like the 8th gen never really started.
I kept waiting for there to be enough exclusives I care about on a console for me to justify buying one but it never fucking happened and now the gen is over. I just stuck with PC for this gen and I'm guessing I probably will be again next gen too. Consoles are dead.

Horrible.

I'm still on 7th gen thanks to it. I don't see things changing in the 9th, actually expect things to get worse. Sony has suggested they think even fewer "big games" will be their next gen strategy.

As an Xchad, this generation was obviously Microsoft's worst
They did redeem themselves with XboneX and I am confident for next gen because "we" have shown em exactly what we expect; a powerful console with no bullshit whatsoever

>coming to a close
18 month till the very release of something new. You are hyping too hard and will overburn.

Wow, all those games that look and play a million times better on PC and don't require paying for online! The Switch truly is the best thing ever!

Attached: tracey-sketchit-magnifying-glass-1.jpg (625x480, 84K)

Because consoles are literally PC hardware at the moment and there is barely an exclusive worth having a console. EPIC REALISTIC GRAPHICS!! race and director-wannabe game designers killed AAA gaming because just a single game takes at least 4 years to make now. And since big corps know that making a quality game is not worth the time and isn't profitable, they go with worse quality games, or port it literally everywhere to make it profitable.

Switch won because Nintendo never went for the realism path, but rather for the "actual gaming where you just care about having fun instead of realism" path. So they have tons of games.

That's how I feel about this gen, too. Hard to believe it's been this long and there are so few notable releases. Even if you include multiplats, I can only name a few games this gen that really stood out to me. Maybe next gen will be better but I have a feeling I'll stay PC only again.

>8th gen seemed like an experimental phase.
>It took everyone a while to get over their own hardware gimmicks and then it was about having the highest resolution and shit.

I hope you're joking. There was barely any experimentation in this generation. The only improvement there's been is incrementally better graphics. Everything else has regressed. I honestly think photogrammery is wasted money that AAA could've saved if they focused on better art direction and physics.

I buy every system every generation now since the mid 90s.

This was the first generation where two of the 3 systems were worthless disappointments.

Wii u was dead on its feet, xbone didn't try at all and gave up almost immediately with everything going multiplatform.

Just horribly disappointing vs the last two generations.

PS4 was fine, switch is fine but it's WAY too goddamn port heavy.

>BING BING WAHOO

I hope Sony and Microsoft try to to get at least just a little more creative when it comes to console design in the 9th gen. I'm a little tired of black boxes.

Their redemption arc has been fun to watch, though. BC w/enhancements and Game Pass have kept me coming back to my bone.

Funny that nintendo seems to intentionally stay a generation behind to justify their shitty specs.

If you're buying consoles for exclusives, that's probably going to become less and less, as there's just more profit for third parties to make multiplatform games. I think that's a big reason this gen has been so unmemorable, since vast majority of games were multiplat, and people seem to talk about exclusives more around here. Only a handful of third parties make exclusives anymore (Atlus). Next gen will probably be more of the same of this gen, with the main exclusives being 1st/2nd party games from Sony's and Nintendo's studios, maybe Microsoft if they reverse course (doubtful).

>What are your thoughts on this console generation overall?

disappointing, just like the 7th generation. realism is ruined gaming

Attached: 1559865380703.jpg (1934x768, 218K)

I kinda feel that Nintendo And Microsoft having hardcore blunders this Gen fucked it up significantly.

The PS3 and X360 had to pump out good exclusives because the competition was really Neck-to-neck and the Wii's wide success made that console relevant even though it was inferior to the cimpetition hardware-wise.

But lool at this gen. Xbone had a terrible launch and the "Xbox as a Service" approach erased any reason that wasn't Halo or Gears to buy the fucking console. And Nintendo got way too cocky with the WiiU witch resulted in one of their worse consoles ever.
Considering this, even the Dumbest of Niggers could realise that you should go or PS4 or PC. And since sony never had to really compete with either MS or Nintendo there was no need to get away from their comfort zone.

Maybe the the evolution Microsoft and Bing Bing Wahoo Games are undergoing make this gen less boring.

There's plenty of exclusives, it's just really xbox that totally shit the bed and made it look light.

Microsoft needs to bow out of hardware.

>Kinect
>Wii u touchpad
>dualshock 4 touchpad
Those were big sellers in the eyes of the marketing team now the kinect is completely gone, the dualshock 4 touchpad is used for scolling through maps and no one besides nintendo tried using the Wii u pad for anything except an inventory screen

>posting this shitpost image again
This is impossible to take serious with PS3 in any metric of winning. Just make it X360 like it should be, or Wii if you're autistic.

Devs took way to god damn long to make games this gen. We got GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas in less than 4 years. It took them 5+ years to go from GTA IV to GTA V and it had significantly less content. Shit is ridiculous. we're getting to the point where devs spend an entire console generation working on ONE FUCKING GAME.

Yea, I agree. At least they seem to have wisened up to the potential money in PC. Which is where they should have stayed to begin with, they could have easily been Steam before Steam did it, instead of making Games for Windows Live well after the fact and colossally fucking it up.

I was thinking the same thing I want the feel of the original xbox with that big goofy X on top

Attached: ogbox.jpg (450x450, 19K)

That's a really insignificant feature without any real gameplay value, m8.

Yea, that's definitely a huge issue. Comes down to the death of the AA studio and the consolidation into a few AAA studios. Just too expensive to make AAA games anymore, so the only yearly releases are rehashes. A lot of series really slowed down. Think of about Final Fantasy on SNES/PS1 vs now... and even though it takes way longer, they still end up being terrible half the time.

is2.Yea Forums.org/wsg/1558659148383.webm

I feel like AA studios are going to make a comeback starting in the 9th gen, THQNordic will lead the way.

>big sellers in the eyes of the marketing team
A big problem with the early days of this gen, it seemed like big three were completely out of touch with reality. Hell, Microsoft nuked themselves when they introduced the Xbox One by exclusively talking about DRM bullshit at their conference, instead of primarily showing off fun games, better graphics, etc. It shows how much investors run the show now.

>7th gen
>disappointing
Gaming might not be for you

Sony didn't really do anything that outlandish early this gen. It's kinda why they won so hard.

Probably not, it's too hard to get a foothold. You get the AAA big dick bux, or you fight the indie swarm for the table scraps. AA studios probably leech more into the indie table scraps than into the big dick bux.

Boy oh boy I cant wait

Attached: 41817147-empty-wooden-shelf.jpg (450x337, 20K)

This was the worst generation, Xbox One, Wii U and PS4 sucked, 9th gen will be so much better than this shit gen.

I know, but microsoft, sony and nintendo didn't

We're talking about the 8th gen Wii U, not the 9th gen Switch, try to keep up.

Yea, true. All they literally had to do at their conference after MS was say "yea, we're not going to do that." Even if it kinda clear they were going to, until they saw the clusterfuck of a reaction, and decided to pull requiring the Eye with every PS4, etc. So that was a good move on Sony's part. I can't say it was smart since it was obvious, more like Microsoft was just extremely retarded, and Sony benefited by recognizing they shouldn't be retarded. But introducing PS Now costs (among other things) tells me they aren't really any more pro-consumer than Microsoft is/was.

>Even if it kinda clear they were going to, until they saw the clusterfuck of a reaction
This myth has been disproven so many times.

Xbox got btfo'd so hard at the beginning of the 8th generation, example A: youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA I don't know if they can ever recover. Unless they show something really mind-blowing next E3 I'll probably be going with Playstation again for the 9th gen.

I'll have to claim ignorance on that. I don't really feel bothered enough to look up information one way or another, so I'll take your word on it, but will probably forget about it down the line.

I feel like gaming became more antisocial this gen. Last generation I remember maxing out my friendslist on the 360 just through shittalking on Halo 3, making friends I still talk to regularly. But I don't think I even added a single friend through a game on any console this generation (still did on PC at the same rate). Nintendo is the absolute worse offender because it's like they're actively trying to stop you from communicating with people in games, maybe because I haven't played any BR's this is an issue exclusive to me?
I can see better deals for consumers next generation with subscription services being worthwhile if they keep adding shit like the MS game pass. I just hope Nintendo make a console which doesn't feel 2 generations behind because Sony/MS have blurred into one at this point in terms of quality for consoles

>xbone and ps4: 2013
>switch: 2017
nice b8 m8

>Nintendo stop you from communicating
And this was her best move. Considering all the hate from communicating and getting butthurt from nearly nothing someone said.
They knew that we live in a internet troll age. They just dont have time for this bullshit. Maybe next gen people are more used to internet and grew some manner too.

chad design

This gen was so underwhelming that I almost want to quit video games

>grew some manner too
Extremely unlikely to ever happen as long as the internet remains relatively anonymous

I feel that cross gen is gonna last more longer next gen than it did last gen.

Then do it faggot, it's just a hobby. Do what's fun.

Just fall back on previous gens or focus on the better indies. Next gen will be streaming front and center and ownership of your games will be dubious.

I can understand their restrictions due to their child-friendly branding but I wish there was atleast the choice to communicate. Even if it meant transferring the 3DS's borderline abusive parental control settings I wish there'd be an option to communicate with others on the console itself, Nintendo Online is abysmal and it's lucky Nintendo have performed so well with such shit hardware/services

Sadly, but true.

Nothing will top the 6th gen. PS2 was the GOAT

I can understand Nintendo.

>whatever gen I grew up with is the best generation!

I think 8th to 9th will be a bigger technological leap than 7th to 8th at the very least.

> all those rumors about physical media being silently removed and exclusives not really being a thing anymore, the future for video games is depressing.

At least every game that is worth playing exists in the world.
Nintendo's last gaming device with actual charm with a distinguishable beginning middle and end was the 3DS.
PS3 had some great things while it lasted, same as the wii, 360, Xbox, PS2, etc.
console gaming died late 2013

xbox scarlet better look like the og xbox prototype

Attached: bestbox.png (616x461, 244K)

The PS2 is the best selling console of all time

I see the X part, but where's the box part??

I unironically this this gen will be the final good gen save for Nintendo since their backwards ass mentality will keep them in the green for a while longer, which in this case, is a good thing.

Companies are starting to understand that selling hardware doesn't make them money and selling a lot of game copies isn't the way, either. The next gen will focus mostly on providing games as services and trying to milk as much money from any given player as they can.

Who gives a shit, doesn't automatically mean it is the best gen. Plus a lot of people bought PS2s since they were relatively cheap DVD players at the time.

Doesn't matter. Google Stadia is the beginning of the end. The future of gaming is streaming and get ready for paying subscription s if you don't want ads in your game.

I fucking hate casuals so much. They ruined, television, music, and now they're going to destroy gaming

Yup, exactly. Which is why there is a push to streaming services. More monthly fees, and can trickle content for "low prices" (which cumulatively add up to a lot over time). Look at EU4 by Paradox on PC. That game technically costs several hundred dollars if you bought all the DLC at release. Or the Sims DLC model. This shit is only going to get worse.

Yes I am one person

it's a box filled with soul in the shape of an X

Attached: bestbox2.jpg (1200x800, 133K)

Anyone who thinks that streaming video games will ever be successful is retarded. OnLive sure was revolutionary right? Oh wait, no it wasn't.

Certainly better than the last. I know people like will ignore the bad memories of when PS3/Xbox360 it was only Call Of Duty and FPS games that know sold well soon the 7th generation. This generation had a lot of unique games had a lot more Japanese games like Nier, Yakuza, FFXV(inb4 overated) and it did not feel like you were stuck right just Fortnite and Call of duty or the meme games. It also has faults with the introduction of micro transactions and things not being ready on launch day when last generation it was not as bad.

Suffice it to say I am worried about the next generation only because it seems like more and more games are going for the walking simulator movie feel. While it's not a bad thing sometimes it is bad if the whole thing is like that for the most part. And the micro transactions are a thing now sadly.

>The next gen will focus mostly on providing games as services and trying to milk as much money from any given player as they can

This is the worst part of it. The games as a service model and monetization will further dilute the quality of AAA games. You'll essentially be given a bare-bones untested product on release.

>I fucking hate casuals so much. They ruined, television, music, and now they're going to destroy gaming

I think its salvageable, but it'll require the gaming community to collectively come together and make games themselves. Like you're seeing over at /agdg/.

Streaming will kill the video game after market of buying used games, which means a lot of extra money for publishers. They're gonna push it as hard as they can. It will still hopefully fail due to hardware/latency limitations, but don't expect the big corps to go down without a fight. OnLive is chump change compared to Microsoft, Google, etc.

PS5 will be always online. This will kill the platform in the water. Xbox Two will not be relevant either, likely for the same reason.

Audiences will remain on Switch and PC. Third parties will desperately try to shill Stadia and other platforms and fail, bankrupting themselves. Companies like Rockstar and Cd Projekt Red will continue to lose favor with gamers coming forward. Ubisoft will become increasingly political.

PS4 will still be relevant until 2022

This. They really want this. Phil Harrison even dodged the question about ownership when Geoff Keighley asked him about it.

Im just going to buy a pc. My guess the new consoles are going to be way too much then what they are actually worth. Like the apple stand being worth $1000 for absolutely no fucking reason. You could just buy a pc instead and a pc has more to offer.

r.i.p video games

youtube.com/watch?v=cjo-9a9KLQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=1qjX23lCPKY

>Third parties will desperately try to shill Stadia and other platforms
Yea, exactly. A lot of money to be made with streaming since you force every user to effectively buy the game (killing "used games"). Microsoft, Sony, Google, etc will have an interest in this as well, since they get royalties on every game sold for their system, too. Nintendo will probably stay backwards and be the last to adopt a streaming service, but they'll do it too once they see the money.

It feels like that because this gen consoles never became as outdated as 7th gen was. 9th gen will be a hard sell because a lot of people are okay with what they have now especially if they own Pro or X.

There's cynicism and then there's delusion mate

Unironically this is the time gamers need to rise up. Streaming is going to kill off vidya

Nintendo will simply expand Nintendo Switch Online instead.

This desu, X360 has countless truely great game (Mass Effect 1, GTA 4, Street Fighter 4, Gears of War, Forza Horizon, RDR1, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dead Space etc...)

Honestly the PS4 could've been profitable till well into 2024

No one fucking won Gen 8, snoygger

it's China, dude. They're the biggest market and make demands on media content.

Steaming services will always be a niche. But I think in the future consoles exclusive won't exist. Instead some games will be streaming exclusive to certain services, but all available on PC. Including Sony games.

PS3 ended up selling more in the end because 3rd world countries could by then afford a FIFA PS3 bundle, thats all there is to it. Anyone with half a brain knows X360 won

>PS5 always online, Xbox Two follows
>Everyone migrates over to Switch and PC
>Sony drones try to call everyone stupid for paying 300$ more for a greater experience on PC
>Gaming companies end up going bankrupt for the microtransactions
>Ubisoft is bought out by Tencent and the games increasingly become more for white people and have a huge focus on mobile games for Chinese.
Absolutely I can see this scenario playing out like this.

Between stuff like Halo Infinite, The Last of Us 2, Ghosts if Tsushima, and Final Fantasy VII (I guarantee there’s a “Definitive Edition” unannounced), it might be one of the strongest launch lineups of all time.

>Certainly better than the last. I know people like will ignore the bad memories of when PS3/Xbox360 it was only Call Of Duty and FPS games that know sold well soon the 7th generation.

That's an exaggeration. I still play on the PS3. I haven't bought a current gen console. While it's true 7th gen introduced the awful microtransactions model, there's still quite an amount of decent games. Moreso than this gen has offered thus far.

>California Jews
It's the Chinese. Sony made a dumb mistake to connect their branch to China which has a lot of rules and regulations in regards of nudity it's instead of being like Nintendo and buy a Chinese company and making a console exclusively for their country. Jews even though they are subversive types are afraid of the Chinese Because of how much they buy their stocks and sell the company or how they fire everyone and hire new staff after the buyouts. Tencent is an example of this.

>Exaggeration
No it's not. THQ went out of business, every game company was afraid to release games near November because of the Call of duty casuals. Call of duty even sold more numbers than Halo Reach. And if you remember every game had to have a gun every game had to have you shoot someone. Outside of 5 games like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Fallout New Vegas,a few Japanese games there really was not much there. Also do not forget how hard they shilled motion controls. How it was definitely going to be the future when it clearly was not. 7th gen had problems you just need to take off the rose tinted glasses to see them.

We know it had problems but kinect came out in 2011 and stayed far enough away from real games until the xbone came out

You're willingly overlooking the good things that happened during 7th gen. I'm also aware of those issues. But I'd pick 7th gen over Battle royales, lootbox plague, rampant microtransaction infestation, wasted VR, unfinished games, early access, untested games, unecessary politics injections and stagnant AAA games. Gameplay has regressed and the only improvements have been graphics.

It was unfortunate that THQ went out of business. They weren't the only ones though. Generally, the loss of AA has really had an impact on the industry overall.

Did you actually go back and check whether or not you missed some games from that gen? I have strong feeling alot people were in rush to 8th gen that they overlooked certain games.

The Switch is merely a rushed cashsaving device made to bridge the gap between gens 8 and 9.
In short, it's equivalent to the Xbone X and PS4 Pro.

7th gen had a lot of issues. But an abundance of shooters and color grey is not a problem. It's more of a sign of the time. There were ton of games made during that era, I'm sorry you've only played 5.

Fatal Frame 5, Bloodborne and Gravity Rush 2 were all pretty cool. I was far more enamored with the handhelds, though.

VR was a thing this gen. Only kind of one but still a thing.

Meanwhile, Xbox counts "red ringed" replacement consoles as units sold.

Games were so shit this gen they made me lose the will to replay old ones, I've played like five games this decade

It was bad, man. Xbox shot itself in each limb at the start of the gen and never recovered, never even made an attempt to make new games outside of Sunset Overdrive. Nintendo made a few good games in 2014 but the Wii U died subsequently, Switch comes out and it only has 2 fresh new titles to date. PS4's output was decent at best, but not nearly as consistent as PS3's constant stream of games from 2009-2013. As far as third party stuff goes, what even was there? Capcom's games were great and it was also a good gen for various fighting game franchises, but there was nothing aside from that as far as I could tell.

>It doesn't count because I decided it doesn't

Its their next platform, its 9th gen, deal with it muppet

>Switch comes out and it only has 2 fresh new titles to date
Oh fuck off with this
>le game drought XDDDD
meme already.

It already has over 1400 games and more exclusives than the Wii U, PS4 and Xbone and it did it in two years.

You aren't fooling anyone, faggot. Go on and name the so called exclusives (BOTW isn't one of them by the way)

You forgot to mention the part where 1395 of those 1400 are ports and shovelware. The eShop speaks for itself, it doesn't even pretend to have anything to offer aside from Zelda, Mario, and Splatoon 2.

Wii won over both the 360 and PS3. I had a 360 and PS3 the 360 had many more worthwhile exclusives unlike the PS3. The only advantage was it could play PS1 and PS2 games so games from far superior consoles

I miss the 6th gen

I bet Nintendo is going to come out with a more powerful Switch model to keep the system relevant into the 9th generation.

Attached: 35693569.png (1019x457, 289K)

The 6th generation was the best. Broad variety of genres, and the 3D graphics were good enough to convey whatever they needed to without making budgets obscene like they are now. The "AA" game was king back then, and we had online games where the online component merely added to the game's value and wasn't the entire game.

Attached: 6th generation game consoles.png (619x526, 282K)

Absolute fucking garbage.

kill yourselves zoomers, 7th gen was the worst for gaming

It doesn't feel like we're getting any "late games" you know, the really good and advanced shit at the end of a consoles life
NES had Kirby's Adventure, Zoda's Revenge, Mega Man 6, Gun-Nac, and Gimmick!
SNES had Harvest Moon, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Thracia 776, DKC3, and Star Ocean
GB had Pokemon
GBC had Shantae and the Oracle games
Genesis had Comix Zone, Alien Soldier, Beyond Oasis, Vectorman, and Earthworm Jim 2
GBA had Mother 3 and Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones
PS2 had Persona 4 and God Hand
Etc etc

snoy won
and will win the next gen

The problem with the “built in controls” for the Switch is the fact that a lot of games use motion controls or detached controllers held in different positions

Switch with non detachable Joy-Cons will alienate people from playing certain games

Why THE FUCK does my shit keep getting corrupted on Switch

This gen actually got going in 2015 with Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 but something happened in 2016 which made it revert back again and it hasn't recovered ever since.

That could be Death Stranding but who knows.

I don't.

2017 was a really good year too but then 2018 kinda came and went.

what the fuck happened in 2018? It was so shit, especially coming off of a year as good as 2017 for games.

Refractory period after blowing one's load, I guess.

I agree that the Switch is the best "console" out now, but it's gonna be obsolete once Yuzu is perfected.

As long as Nintendo keeps putting out good games it'll remain the best console (although so far 2018/2019 has been rather poor)

This second half of 2019 is shaping up to be pretty cool with Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, and Astral Chain

I'll probably get Luigi's mansion and Links awakening but I have zero interest in fire emblem and astral chain

different strokes for different folks