ITT: Shit-tier game franchises with single god-tier games within them

ITT: Shit-tier game franchises with single god-tier games within them.
Pic related, HoMM sucks except for III, which is the best turn-based fantasy strategy game.

Attached: ss_548367faf1cfa549c88585cb9b01f13b05b05ab7.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 931K)

HoM&M II and HoM&M V would like a word with you.

No they wouldn't. They know they suck and are not even in 20% as good as III was.

go some more youtube videos npc

>go some more youtube videos npc

>Types like a low tier AI level NPC
>Calls others NPC

Please, dilate.

You're correct. II and IV are OK games on their own, but dogshit when compared to III. Just played a game yesterday with a friend, and was reminded again how amazing it was.

The problem with Heroes of Might & Magic is similar to that of the arena shooters. The genre was perfected in the third game and there was nowhere else to go from there, so the genre just fizzled out and died.

Attached: download.jpg (640x746, 130K)

I don't think it counts as a genre if there is only one franchise in it.

Final Fantasy 7

>Half of secondary skills are dogshit
>You are forced to drag one useless unit on scouts
>Dumb movement mechanics that allow chains
>Op spells that are win button if you're lucky enough to get them in your town
>Low tier units only differ in design
H3 was nowhere near perfect and H4 is criminally underrated

Wrong on both accounts.

>dilate
trannies live rent free in your head just fuck off already

>The only move ai does is move the maximum amount of tiles and attack whatever is in front
>Braindead retaliation mechanic that was probably added to hide how shitty the combat ai is.
Those two things nullify those small the improvements IV had over III. Not to mention all the changes that made things worse.

I prefer the reverse.

>when an otherwise great series gets killed by a single bad game

Attached: 5be0150ab406c3e0feba28952a177f2ab902e916.jpg (616x353, 35K)

h4 sadly made some controversial decisions

>daily unit growth
>greater focus on heroes beyond being just stat blocks
>divergent unit upgrade paths

also, visuals didn't sit well with a lot of people who already considered h3 too garish compared to h2

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (960x720, 159K)

>story ends on a plot twist
>next game has like a time skip of several hundret years ignoring how the previous game ended
Never been not salty about this shit.

I enjoyed HoMM3 until I found myself restarting until I got earth magic.

How did Disciples 2 never get that popular? Great game.

HoMM 2 is absolute kino, what a fucking pleb

Impossible when FFT exists

T must stand for Third as in Final Fantasy 6 in Japan right?

HoMM II is fucking kino you retard. III just refined the concept slightly, but all the essential parts were there in II already. Not to mention that II's graphics shit all over III.

Attached: heroes-of-might-and-magic-2.jpg (300x225, 63K)

ow the edge

Why did HoMM never go back to the 2D art style? That hasn't been an issue for other franchises

ehh there's a couple others, King's Bounty for example

AI is retarded, but retaliation was a good mechanic. You no longer get to have lossless battles because you stacked all low tier units together and spam wait. Not all changes were improvements over 3, but at least they tried to make some improvements and mostly succeded. I'll pick 4 any day over heroes 3 chuuni edition now on chessboard, aka heroes 5.

4 is unironically better

Only enjoyed it for the level up system, where the hero changes class based on what skills you have.

there's no such thing as a perfected genre. Even if you reach a point of perfect balance, you can just add more content. Especially in a game like HoMM, it might be a bit more difficult in something like quake 3.
>more towns, or towns with more buildings/units
>alt upgrades
>better activated abilities
>better hero skill system, make it into a skill tree or something instead of just a random hat of passive bonuses that only get bigger numbers with ranks instead of new effects(it's all 10%/20%/30% and so on)
>ability to fight with several armies at once on a bigger battlefield
>first part of the game that's not just PvE battles
>fog of war so you don't get the ability to magically know everything that happens on a place you visited 5 years ago
>more involvement with the adventure map, maybe you can build structures on it
>cross-town tech trees, like inferno can turn clerics into warlocks or tower+dungeon lets you build a mage guild tier 6 if you have tier 5's in both towns
>towns of the same type aren't all the same, visually or mechanically
>can assign bonuses to individual stacks via liutenants (essentially an item carried by your hero in the form of a character providing a bonus to the unit slot it's assigned to), like giving one stack of dragons regen and the other +attack
>better balance because 3 certainly wasn't perfect
and so on

Because 3D was the biggest draw for H5 so they stick to the formula. Have some concept art for Heroes 5 before Ubisoft took over and ordered ruskies to make it WoW like

Attached: NWCH5NecropolisBasic.png (440x420, 403K)

3D Town Screens were a mistake. Every game after 5 intentionally downgraded them to be on budget… or so they claimed.