It's stupid as fuck that in every game on the market you can just tank hundreds of bullets and be fine

It's stupid as fuck that in every game on the market you can just tank hundreds of bullets and be fine.

It first started bothering me when games started to pretend like they got more realistic. Specifically when GTA IV came around with the implementation of new graphics and physics.

I don't buy that you can take millions of bullets to the torso and face and be fine. Do you know what ONE bullet will do to you in real life?

Like seriously, if games want to pretend like they're becoming more realistic, the game world loses all credibility the moment I get pummeled with like 3 bullets.

Attached: genericactiongame.png (511x291, 380K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/uncharteds-developers-just-revealed-a-bizarre-secret-about-nathan-drake/
youtu.be/fMLAOxuNrS0
youtube.com/watch?v=odyS0OBFOlM
youtube.com/watch?v=fMLAOxuNrS0
youtube.com/watch?v=WXemUEP3-A4
youtu.be/4H6sU0M5wds?t=3262
youtu.be/4H6sU0M5wds?t=6734
youtube.com/watch?v=MPX6BvwUOSI
doomworld.com/forum/topic/89093-seinfeldwad-jerrys-apartment-a-doom-ii-wad/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What do you want? A game where you get shot once and your character has to go to a hospital and spend a year in physical therapy before he can get back to the action only now he's weaker and less effective than he was before? Everyone knows that's not real, but most people worked rather have their games be entertaining.

Why don't you play ARMA ? Go all in if you want to play war

OP here and I'm going to self-fag for a second because I love complaining.

The Last of Us is the closest I know to have got it almost right. I can buy that you can get punched in the face a bunch of times and occasionally get fireballed.

It's just stupid as fuck when you're playing GTA Cowboy and you just seem to be IMPERVIOUS to bullets.

Not only that but eating a can of beans in the middle of battle will somehow relieve you of your bullet holes. I don't fucking buy it.

Attached: stomach.jpg (272x780, 15K)

I would honestly love a single-player shooter where getting shot once significantly fucks you up.
It would have to be way slower paced than the average shooter though. Might even need multiple protagonists instead of one.

No shit! There's got to be a better solution than being able to just eat bullets. I can think of one right off the top of my head.

You have a "luck" meter. When it runs out, you are vulnerable to getting shot. Getting shot doesn't necessarily mean you die or EVEN go to the hospital, but for the rest of the battle you're holding your chest or some shit like RE4.

Any tactical shooter on PC released in the 90s - early 2000s
Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Operation Flashpoint, Swat

Isn't that the excuse Naughty Dog uses for Nathan Drake in Uncharted?

iirc, that's the explanation in the uncharted series

just play it on the hardest difficulty then? it's not hard.

Yeah I've played Uncharted but every time Nate gets shot he GASPS in pain like he got shot. The red graphics on your screen also make it seem like he got shot. I like Uncharted a lot actually.

I'm asking for a better solution in regular play. Not an instant die scenario.

cnet.com/news/uncharteds-developers-just-revealed-a-bizarre-secret-about-nathan-drake/

It was always ambiguous. The article says that the red lines are Nate becoming less lucky.

But Nate always fucking SCREAMS when he gets shot in Uncharted 4.

What if in Mario 64 at the first level Bob Omb battlefield, if you happen to fall off the floating platform...

Mario careens into the earth. Both his legs instantly split upon impact. A gutteral *CRKACK* is heard and Mario lurches his head back in pain.

This is the worst day of Mario's life and the worst pain he's ever been in.

Mario, with tears in his eyes, muscles himself away from the impact zone with his useless, frail body.

I think you're on to something there.

Attached: e92.jpg (600x636, 42K)

I want to see a horribly graphic depiction of Mario falling to the earth heels first. I want to see his head snap back in pain as one of his knees split in half. CR-AN-CK!

I want to see him WAIL in agony at his sudden mortal dilemma.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

FUCK!

i just want to see marios taint

When a bob-omb explodes near Mario it not only knocks off Mario's hat but also has a chance to take one of his fingers soaring off-screen. In a panic, Mario searches for his lost and degloved digit, but to no avail. Now you have a %10 chance of a ledge-grab fail.

Not only that, but when Goombers damage you, you contract a horrible tropical virus for which there is no known cure. Mario's swimming speed is significantly reduced and each time you load up the game Mario looks sicker and paler than before.

Suddenly the Mushroom Kingdom becomes a much harsher, crueler place.

What happens when his qpu becomes unaligned?

Just play hotline miami

If Mario's speed becomes too great for his tiny body to handle, his joints will start to pop and his little eyes will bulge out of his skull. This is the result of building your de facto speed for too long.

Once expelled into a QPU, one half of Mario is blasted a million miles into one direction while the remaining fragments and pieces of bone find somewhere to habitate in the barren wastes of a parallel universe.

I think that "explanation" was more of an inside joke that someone sort of just made public, I doubt the game designers actually believe it considering yeah, Nate reacts to getting shot like he got shot, not like he got near missed.

OP, try out the Hideous Destructor mod for Doom if you haven't already.

It's everything you're asking for and will make you realize why realism doesn't have a place in vidya.

Attached: ACC5A88E-B998-4ACC-A912-5A124DF9C734.jpg (512x288, 16K)

i meant to link this
you might be interested

youtu.be/fMLAOxuNrS0

Attached: 2674DE97-A0F8-42FC-8C88-1D0E8D64FE70.jpg (1200x1170, 253K)

youtube.com/watch?v=odyS0OBFOlM

youtube.com/watch?v=fMLAOxuNrS0

K, I watched the first one and I'm watching the second one. I know the guy says he doesn't like it and I can understand why.

No one wants to get shot out of nowhere and instantly die without knowing where the bullet came from. That's why in The Last of Us your enemies will gasp "Oh fuck!" when they've spotted you and even if your back is turned to them. They'll scream and shout ostensibly to gather more men but it's actually for the player to locate where they're coming from. They'll make stupid comments like "Where are you" "I'm coming for you!"

Brothers in arms hells highway has a health system similar to cods except the red on your screen indicates how close you are to being shot, once it goes completely red your character gets shot.

and will make you realize why realism doesn't have a place in vidya.
Bullshit. There are stories to be told in games and things that can be explored in gritty, graphic detail, but I am not going to buy that my one cowboy maniac can take 80 rifle bullets to the face, kill 120 armed men, and then act vulnerable in a cutscene like, OH! ONE BULLET! YOU GOT ME!

There's got to be a better solution to action gameplay. There's got to be something in between
getting pummeled with 100 bullets and being fine

and

being shot with one bullet and instantly dieing.

You could probably think of something, hell

Well, that's kinda how it works IRL, doesn't it?

The last thing you want to do is to give your location to your opponents.

>muh realism

Realism is boring as fuck.

Games are going to get more realistic whether we like it or not. Every generations going to come out with more pretty animations and graphics and the only thing that will stay the same is how many bullets you can take to the face.

youtube.com/watch?v=WXemUEP3-A4
I've never heard of this game but it looks like it's doing something actually right. I like the way your infantrymen will say they can't reach the guy.

OP, I (think) I fucking got it

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, on Master difficulty

Attached: 1494978319155.png (347x365, 39K)

No, realism done right elevates the experience. Kingdom Come is an example.

Attached: What's the deal with being swatted (no sound).webm (800x450, 2.63M)

Here's a better solution to that phony fucking red shit on your screen though. How about bulletfire will kick up at your feet and your infantrymen say "GET DOWN" or if you're alone then you say "OH SHIT" and if you don't GTFO then you take a bullet to the chest and heave yourself out of that situation.

Like, there are CREATIVE ways to make bullets deadly but also ALERT you when you're getting close to being shot. It's not fucking hard to come up with these solutions. And it's bullshit that games let you get shot a million times and then try to act like they're movies. If you want to be movies, then explain that huge fucking plot hole.

just pretend the bullets didn't hit and HP bar/jelly screen are just your luck running out, or that you're wearing kevlar and none of them penetrated

failing that, go play ghost recon heroes unleashed, enjoy

that's the funniest shit I've seen all nite and the file name is icing on the cake.

ayo what wad is this

>pretend the bullets didn't hit and HP bar/jelly screen are just your luck running out

I've been doing this for a while but... lately it's not cutting it for me. If the game says I got shot, that's something I am kind of interested in, but since the game treats it like a scratch on the forearm, I have to kind of begrudgingly accept it.

I think SWAT4 had semi-realistic combat. You and enemys drop quickly, shame the AI sucks and gunplay isn't up to todays standards. Hoping the new game won't be casualised too much.
Oh and the old Rainbow 6 games, if you play on hard difficulty both you and the enemys usually drop by 1 bullet. The enemy positions are somewhat randomised each play and encourages tactical play.

STALKER WINS AGAIN BABY

just DL ghost recon and heroes unleashed mod. alternatively rainbow six 3 but I'm not up to date with the mods and vanilla the AI has a bad case of sniper pistols, still great game tho

your characters even perform worse when shot/time has to pass to recover.

Realism isn't fun unless the game is a sim and you are into that. Realismfags are autistic as fuck and obnoxious as all hell.

I'm typically not a realism fag but, it's so fucking annoying how ''military'' games still let you put a suppressor on a .50 cal and it turns it completely silent to everyone around you. still yearn for the game that lets you have suppressors but keep sonic boom/enemies being alerted by the shots. I think arma does it somewhat better by giving you subsonic ammunition

Yes because arma is a sim. Please reread the first sentence of the post you linked to.

Syphon Filter did this with a "DANGER" meter back on PS1

I'll check out these games. If it isn't obvious enough already, I'm a fucking casual. The closest to a tactical shooter I've played is Arma 2. I play fucking GTA V, The Last of Us, and more blockbuster adventure games like that.

Thanks for telling me about these cool games but it sounds like most of them are more tactical shooters. I'm still interested though.

what I mean is that ubishit far cry's or CoDs should take a more realistic approach to ''silencers'' is all

you can also try mafia 1, it's an open world action game but if you get caught by a shotgun at close range you're done for

No, they shouldn't. Those games are not realistic and having a clear gameplay focused impact/role for them is more fun than having a very minor realistic impact.

yea they should, action FPS games added sonic boom starting with the 2010s now they should go all the way and keep it with ''silencers'' on too. sound design is an integral part of the game whether realistic or not

That's called the Tom Clancy series pre-7th gen.

alternatively they can add ammo options

>get shot once and die
>THATS BULLSHIT
>take a thousand bullets
>THATS UNREALISTIC

there is no winning.

youtu.be/4H6sU0M5wds?t=3262

Dude. Holy fucking shit.

I've never seen a game RESPECT a human body in motion like this game does, and I'm glad I'm hearing of it now.

Look at how fucking cool it is when he runs around and holds two guns in his hands while crouching and sneaking around.

I might just be easily impressed but I've never seen any game ooze style as much as this game does.

youtu.be/4H6sU0M5wds?t=6734
I mean he does eat a hundred bullets at this part but I can respect the "Danger" meter. I buy that. I don't buy sitting behind a rock in GTA and seeing blood fly out of my character due to multiple gunshot wounds and him being ok with no body armor.

What the fuck, this game is beautiful and actually respects human proportions and fluidity. It's like I'm watching an 80s blockbuster, which is admittedly kind of what I'm looking for.

almost like there are games that take the middle ground.........

you have not read a single post here gaurunteed. we've just a million ways you can make bullets and actual threat while notifying the player before they actually hit.

no one is arguing if games should be more realistic. games are BECOMING more realistic whether we like it or not and demanding that we buy into the game world being our real world

I'm the same guy and I just want to say that Syphon Filter might just be my new favorite thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=MPX6BvwUOSI
at 2:02:30 This game fucking defies what I think a PS1 game is and can be. Look at the guy react to bullet damage in his leg at first before getting shot in the head. Look at the animations of the main characters. What the fuck, why aren't more games like this?

doomworld.com/forum/topic/89093-seinfeldwad-jerrys-apartment-a-doom-ii-wad/

> This game fucking defies what I think a PS1 game is and can be

What I mean by that is that when I think of PS1 games I think of doofy looking FPS games or shitty looking Medieval. Other than that I just think of shitty platformers like Crash Bandicoot.

I've never seen a game act so cool and BE so cool. There's even part in Syphon Filter where the chick is fighting gangs but the police get involved and when the chick transmits with HQ and asks for backup because she doesn't want to kill cops.

Now compare that to every game on the market where you play as basically a door. You're a door that walks around and gets shot and when you press left bumper you can aim better and shoot at other doors.

This game is so fucking cool and I plan on emulating it.

Dude, it looks so cool when enemies and you are running around, blasting at each other with wild abandon.

The fucking enemies fall off buildings so cool like.

THEY FUCKING BLEED OUT AFTER A WHILE. What the FUCK?!

The fucking enemies roll and you can roll too and it looks so FUCKING cool.

Can I gush some more?

I've never seen a game respect the weight and dimension of a guy holding a pistol in each hand.

I've never seen a PS1 game have more respect for character motion in general. Look at your character's feet and how they drift with your weight as you move side to side and roll around like an action hero. What the FUCK. Why aren't more games like this?

>There's got to be a better solution than being able to just eat bullets.
There is.
And for it to work you need to be able to preemptive work to avoid getting hit in the first place.

Which means some kind of movement mechanics, most likely meaning higher forms of mobility, so using cover doesn't mean "wait for enemy to reload and shoot them"
And some kind of vertical movement so its possible to control if you get ambushed in a advantageous position.
And a few mechanics later its just most of the ideals behind Spec Ops on steroids. Maybe with more vertical movement and climbing.

Quite a few games with melee has this approach, where you need to get into control to not die. But with ranged weapons it would take more fine tuning, and far better mechanics to get anywhere.

Jesus Christ, I came here high as fuck and looking to complain and I honestly didn't expect to find this fucking diamond in the rough. From what I've seen on Youtube the series seems to be everything I've wanted from a game.

Fucking solid animations and actual respect to how human beings ACTUALLY move and flow through space, while still being 80's cinematic gun-fu action. This game is the whole fucking package.

And on top of all that, bullets aren't just a nick on your wrist. What the fuck, all games should be like this. Thanks Yea Forums.

What other games would I enjoy?

I'm kind of ecstatic I found this game it looks SO fucking cool. LEAGUES cooler than any game that pretends it's a realistic 3rd person shooter.

Thank you Anonymous.

What else is there to say? No other fucking games looks as stylish as that while making bullets a huge threat. That frustrates me. If you guys are tired of talking then is this thread over?

Didn't people complain that in GTA IV you died too easily from bullet hits?

Nah it's pretty easy. If you get shot it only takes away like a sixteenth of your health, which is still a lot more than in GTA SA.

Plus in IV you have body armor which makes you able to eat about 20 bullets before fainting.

It's a video game faggot

Ahem. Super addicting game if you can get over few bugs here and there.

What? What are you talking about? Are we still talking about Syphon Filter or are you talking about the header image I randomly found on google images?

Forgot pic.

Attached: F2BBDA2F-B88D-4B36-A3F0-F1F41BC5DC9F.jpg (1920x1080, 1.02M)

Oh okay. I thought you were saying that that stupid header image was a cool game or something and I was about to laugh my tits off.

What game is that you're showing me?

If you got 0 life tarkov is the best. good luck playing that game when you have a job.

Replace "health" with "luck". shots that would've hit are near misses (bullet whoosh sound) that deplete luck. When luck runs out, next bullet on target actually does hit and is crippling or fatal and results in game over. Luck pickups are four-leaf clovers and horseshoes, equip rabbits foot increases luck bar. Shooting mirrors depletes luck for a kek (but necessary to reveal a secret at some point). grenades on target generally kill unless very high luck in which case they are duds.

OP here. Tarkov huh? Seems interesting and really tactical and realistic. I may be into it.

Instead of having luck pickups, how about you smoke a cigarette? Or some other cool thing. Luck should replenish over time don't you think? I know I've just ESSENTIALLY described every shooter with regenerating health that I'm complaining about, but our solution is way, WAY fucking cooler than those games with regenerating health and FUNCTIONALLY the SAME.

>smoking, cool
i mean this board is for people who are 18.
Either way on your topic, how do you deal with melee when it comes to weapons, getting hit in the face with a rifle butt doesn't just bounce off your skull. It could shatter shit, a knife might as well be game over if someone gets within 5 ft. How would you balance that?

We're talking about movie logic here. Getting punched in the face is fine.

> knife might as well be game over if someone gets within 5 ft. How would you balance that?

FUCK! I'm really sad that I can't remember that game from a long time ago where holding down a defense button would make you AUTO-dodge any melee attack that came your way, BUT holding down the defence button makes you slow or makes you stand still. It was a stupid XBox or PS1 game. I only played it once at a friends house. Some Jackie Chan rip off 3rd person fighter game.

FFXV did that, but how would you counter because eventually you'd be trapped in a forever attack. He rushes you, dodge, he rushes you, dodge. Is it a game of who gets melee'd first? Do the enemies get a dodge? I said RIFLE BUTT not fist. A gun with a wood stock hit full force on your skull could either easily crack or shatter your nose immediatly and you might lose a few teeth causing immense pain.

> A gun with a wood stock hit full force on your skull could either easily crack or shatter your nose immediatly and you might lose a few teeth causing immense pain.

Well sure, that *could* happen, but I think it would be smarter and more photogenic for attacks with the butt of a gun to just bruise you. I've been complaining about damage not being portrayed realistically I KNOW, but my main concern was bullets. Bullets are always going supersonic speeds. Not every attack with a melee weapon will be full force.

How about a game where if you have the defense button held down, you will dodge enemy attacks and get *nudged* away. But if you get nudged into a wall you'll take heavy damage and will be given damage whether you have the defense button pressed or not.

To add to that, you can attack your enemy but they will be able to dodge too.

While you have the defense button held down, you're slow and you have your fists up. If an axe comes swinging at you, you'll do a fucking cool side-dodge, but you might get knocked against a wall.

If you're unarmed against an enemy with an axe or pipe, obviously you'll be at a disadvantage so you'll likely be holding the defense button most of the time. With the defense button held, you'll just dodge and will get nudged a long distance, possibly into a wall. But if you are also holding a melee weapon, holding the defense button will NOT make you dodge, but make you block or parry enemy attacks instead.

Wew. I've basically just described Overgrowth. Great game, check it out. They're still making updates to it.

I wanna see that guy naked