Can't decide on main

Could use a bit of assistance here, I've been experimenting and switching between characters since December 7th, and I can't find a permanent main to stick to in ultimate.

I enjoyed playing Krool for a while, but despite his heavy archetype, something I'm very fond of, he didn't feel right. I keep narrowing it down to a few characters, then switch that few characters up when I think they aren't right. Are there any factors I should consider that are important when choosing a main? Character bias isn't a problem with me, just finding someone who feels fun and has a decent arsenal

Attached: image.png (2000x2000, 25K)

Smack random and see who you like the most.

Pretty much this. I went through random first hours until I finally settled on Snake and Villager. Find the character you have the most fun with and learn their moves.

You shouldn't stick to just one main. Be good at at least 2-3 characters that play differently from each other. There are some matchups that are just bad for certain characters. It's difficult to win against a range/projectile character like Ness, Lucas, or Mega Man if you pick a short-range character like Diddy Kong or Luigi.

Figure out which characters you flow with the best. For example, I can't play heavies. I just can't get into a good rhythm with them; they're too slow for me. I know that if I'm going to do chain from one thing to the next smoothly and successfully I need a character who moves and attacks fast. If I want to play a fast and up close pressure game, I play Diddy Kong. If I want to play fast but have some useful range tools, I play Richter.

You could start with characters that are easy to learn and branch out from there. Mario is usually a good choice for that.

Former Krool main here, ended up swapping to DDD and he fit like a glove

Attached: 1549486218268.jpg (882x565, 157K)

play little mac

If you're the type of DDD that spams gordo, unironically neck yourself

Nah, I save the spam for Simon

If you are the kinda guy that gets fucked by gordo spam you might want to play a game thats more your skill level like Smash4 or SFV

This. Pick random. Fight a lot. When a fighter clicks with you, you'll know it. Try to at least go through every fighter once just so you're sure who you like and dislike.

Unironically git gud. Smash isn't a game about fairness. Instead of demanding and expecting other players to play in the way you'd like them to, learn how to overcome the obstacles you keep getting fucked by. Gordo isn't invincible; there are several methods to counter, block, or evade it. Learn how to read your opponent.

I do plan on keeping some secondaries fro that reason, to have counters to match ups, Rn trying to just find someone who I can focus a large majority of my time learning the ins and outs, I know I like heavy weights, since I live for the bigger health pools and slower but heavier attacks, but I also partially want to keep others back, and YLink and snake weren't really doing it for me, but Simon I find to have a reliable kit that covers all angles, as spider to Young link's coverage, for example, being more horizontal focused

The Belmonts are solid characters because every part of their kit is useful. They don't have a single move that's inherently bad. If you want to really master a heavy, I'd recommend De De De. His Gordo and hammer game is excellent if you know what you're doing.

Pick any low tier character because if you lose with them the opponent can't shit talk, and if you win you can shit talk hard. Basically you never actually lose and sometimes win.

do people actually do this?

play against people a lot and use as many characters as you can. then focus on the ones you feel you do your best with.

Yeah, he happens to be the heavy I'm testing with currently. Gordo has literally no priority, but can be pretty useful.

I keep looking down at Gsp and seeing 4.6m with Krool, and I keep wondering if I should go back to him. I used to be pretty good with him, then he kinda got boring, then he got his ass nerfed, every now and then I'll play with him some more. Getting decent results with Dedede as it is Rn when I'm not up against a Lucas.

Another character I mentioned was GaW. I really like him, especially his aerials and bucket, but he's really light, and sometimes he feels weird. Don't really know how, just does. Probe cause of natural attraction to heavies

Yes. Whenever I beat a Little Mac or Bowser Jr., I never talk shit about the other player because I understand I'm already at an advantage. And if I lose to them, I might be upset at how gimmicky the character is, but ultimately I'll know I lost because of my own lack of skill. I either commend the opponent for entering the match at a disadvantage and losing while trying their best, or I commend them for entering at a disadvantage and winning regardless.

Just play whoever you like the most as a character and adapt, otherwise you'll just end up dropping it.

Always gotta love the people online justifying their braindead cheap tactics

You shouldn't feel the need to go back to a character just because you're familiar with them. Smash is a game of adaptation. You got 4.6m with K Rool? Great. Then he got boring, and then he got nerfed. He may still work as a character, but he doesn't seem to work for you anymore. That's okay. Move on. Fuck the GSP. Do what feels right in the moment, and if it doesn't work out then do something else. Change is good. The more you step into the unfamiliar, the more you learn about the game. The more you learn, the better you get, but more importantly, the more fun you have.

I don't even play DDD. If you keep thinking of every obstacle in the game that you can't overcome as "braindead cheap tactics", you'll never move on from being the scrub you so obviously are right now.

You probably didn't end up like Krool because he fucking sucks and is too predictable, you'll never see one at higher GSP rankings. Just pick a character that isn't shit

Attached: Sheriff’s_Spirte.png (350x365, 31K)

I just main characters I like from the games I like, works for me desu

I mean that's what Smash was created for in the first place; people who main characters they don't even know or like just because they're "top tier" are the real losers.

You've definitely been the most straightforward and also helpful person here, I'm pretty sure I've got a better idea on choosing a main now.

Thanks for the tips. :]

This doesn't work. I did it all of 4 and got nothing out of it. Your main chooses you and you'll know it when you play it. If you've played everyone at a decent level and still don't know who you like, either your main isn't in smash yet, which is incredibly unlikely, or you need to get an actual fucking personality.

>Litters the stage with Gordo's
>Literally just gordo after gordo
>No MU's, no pokes, just jumping and gordo'ing over and over and over
>"git gud"
So fun to play against too