Good graphics ruined video games

Good graphics ruined video games

Primitive visuals allowed for more imagination to take place and for fantasy worlds to flourish. Photorealistic graphics only make these videogame worlds seem banal and uninteresting.

Attached: Overhaul_Xen.jpg (1280x1024, 231K)

no sweetie incel

Attached: 1537396435377.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

UNATCO HQ, home.

Attached: 1548307365251.png (1126x953, 711K)

>Primitive visuals allowed for more imagination to take place and for fantasy worlds to flourish.
t. /vr/

Also pic not related? Grpahics in HL were good enough at the time you could pretty clearly see what something was and didn't really need to use your imagination. "Using your imagination" had only really been a thing on sprite based games (especially NES era) where you often couldn't tell what something was supposed to be or had these weird things you thought they were as a kid. That died pretty quickly in once 3D hit, hell even quake was pretty clearly defined.

Why is it that when graphics were primitive everything was beautiful? The age of perfect realism in videogames coincided with the age of perfect decadence. The pursuit of realism can only mean the death of the art form.

>Good graphics ruined video games
It made their production costs skyrocket and made the market harder to compete in for smaller companies.
>Photorealistic graphics only make these videogame worlds seem banal and uninteresting
Retarded argument

I just don't get the obsession for immersion with graphics/realism. Games with unusual or unique charming art styles are far more consistent with being more memorable + "age" better considerably more than games that push graphical boundries for their times.

Old graphics were better because you had more visual clarity. I wish the clean and crisp graphics of early/mid 2000's games would make a comeback.

Attached: 1447081564824.jpg (1920x1080, 707K)

Games with unique or charming artstyles often go for a less normalfag audience.

I feel like art styles have definitely suffered with super high fidelity, OG Xbox graphics needed a strong art style to carry their games.

The AAA push for "polish" and "modernity" has actually ruined games. The top end are far too fucking safe and boring, to the point where bits feel swapped in and out of other AAA games and reskinned, and the peanut gallery games media punishes anything else as "janky" and "dated".

It's forming a fucking mono culture around games. You're either the big swinging dick AAA game, or the flavor of the month indie piss. Chose your fucking flavour of bland disappointment.

>depth of field
>motion blur
>godrays
>chromatic abberation
>post-processing AA
Here, let me take the look of the game and make it look like shit.

nah, lazy devs ruined vidya

Attached: .png (1500x844, 1.19M)

>being this contrarian
Enjoy your polygons dweeb lmao

it's not realism, it's slap on as many post processing effects as possible to look like hollywood

DX was ugly as fuck even by 2000 standards

Graphics don’t define a game, but all these AAA studios spend so much fucking time and money on the graphics that there’s less focus on the content and that’s why we keep getting these games that look stunning but play like literal dog shit

how wrong can you be?

>466616781
kek

Shut the fuck up you turkey necked faggot.

OLD GAME GOOD
NEW GAME BAD

SOUL
SOULLESS

I hate how normies demand photorealistic graphics while being terrified of any gameplay element that even remotely resembles simulation.

So we end up with games that look more realistic than ever but play more shallow than ever.

I bet you think no one else saw that image macro before

Can't agree more...tried to play the ratchet and clank remake on ps4 and there's no soul, no personality. went back to the original on ps2 and loving it.

>Good graphics ruined video games
No what ruined video games are the following.
An industry filled with "reviewers" who can't past tutorial stages but want to dictate to the entire industry what the consumer desires.

Good graphics didn't ruin gaming. The desire for realism because those mentioned above don't understand what "good"graphics means to begin with. They are the types that don't understand what good voice acting is either so fuck them and fuck the shove for realism.
In terms of gameplay since these fuckers can't get past tutorial stages we are left with a system that isn't mainstream for ease of access its casualized to the point we are instead left with QTEs animations.

Attached: beyond mad.jpg (620x465, 49K)

If I wanted to use my imagination I would read a fucking book, not play a game.

factually incorrect OP, you're on the right path, but you need to be more specific.
post processing effects ruined videogames

>If I wanted to use my imagination I would read a fucking book
If that was the case we would never have TV's, Movies, Music, etc. Guess you lack the imagination to understand that all this entertainmed derived from something in the past.

Attached: anime soccer.jpg (480x360, 31K)