Play JRPG on emulator

>play JRPG on emulator
>constantly use fast-forward to get through battles etc. faster

I've probably saved literal hundreds of hours doing this, but does it count as cheating?

Attached: dragonq3.jpg (977x608, 167K)

Nah, it would be if you were using save states tho.

there is no cheating in single player games
do what you want

you could probably argue it's cheating if you're using it to quickly grind but honestly who gives a shit

is DQ3 worth playing?

>Is one of the best games of all time worth playing

I dont know

I can only emulate rpgs playing like that
Having fun though

>but does it count as cheating?
FFVII, Zodiac Age, and even DQXI Switch all include options to speed up gameplay. So no.

Only cheating if you're competing for an achievement against yourself or others, like speedrun, challenge run, high score etc.

If you're just practicing or playing for fun then it's fine.

I do this if I really have to stop progressing and grind

Later games just include autocombat as an option. It's even there in the mobile version of 3. It's very useful all things considered, especially since the remakes have no built-in retardation period for AI to "learn" to use new spells and abilities.

Are you having fun? If so, why do you care about how to label it?

No, it's saving time.
Just don't do it for important fights unless you want to miss out on good tunes

unless you like autism grinding, 4 is the better starting point for the series.

>Started up DQ3 SNES
>get Lazy personality
i mean it's not wrong.
does personality affect stats?

Attached: 1491069529877.png (432x474, 465K)

That is the correct way to enjoy JRPGs. Even re-releases of old JRPGs like Final Fantasy IX and not so old JRPGs like Cold Steel have speeding up options.

If you're speeding up 3 you're just a straight fucking idiot unless you're doing it in disc 2 or post game, the game has incredible pacing.

Dragon quest is like the biggest time killer so no. It’s all grinding just for levels to pass areas. If I could speed up DQ3, I fucking would.

Its perfectly acceptable to speed up grinding. Even if you savestate to kill metal slimes.

When I was a kid I used to win at every AoE2 campaign by spamming cobra cars and thought it was fun. I started resenting the game eventually because it was so painfully boring doing that after a while.
A few years later I realized it was way more fun to play it for real.

>disc 2 or post game
wut

Yes but you can use books to change your personality iirc

I'm saying disc 2 so I don't have to directly spell out that there's a twist in the game. I hate people who just give that away when they try to convince newfags to play 3.

>3
>autistic grinding
nigger what?

unless you go in having looked up exactly what to make your party, theres a ton of grinding to keep up. seeing as this dude is saying he hasnt played it chances are he wont have an optimal party

Dude, I like 4, but come on, you literally have to do the standard beginning of the game grind 5 times before you get to the actual game. If anything, 4 is better if you like autism grinding.

What are some jrpgs that are really fast and fluid when it comes to combat? First person dungeon crawlers seem keep things really efficient, like Soup Hackers and Etrian Odyssey.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4
FF X
Legaia 1 and 2

Consider this: the Definitive Edition of DQ XI has a feature that let's you speed up battles. Even the devs know.

Playing DQ1 as my first DQ game at the moment, on the SNES.
It's pretty fun.

>Soup Hackers

Attached: can-of-soup-with-label-that-reads-digital-soup-zeros-and-ones-cartoon_u-l-pgpd540.jpg (550x549, 29K)

I do this for all old games I grew up with, they were great way back in the late 90's early 2000's because every game looked top tier when it came out but now they haven't aged well and there's not much to the combat specially early on in JRPGs.

Yes, HEAVILY. Best male personality is "lewd", you get it by wearing some golden chain I think. Also gender affects your stats, with women being objectively superior to men. On top of having better stats women also get lots of exclusive superior equipment that only they can wear. Hero is probably the only character that doesn't suffer from not being female, that's why /ss/ parties are so popular.

Attached: 66422821_p0.jpg (1440x1600, 689K)

Only on NES
DS removed grinding

I played DS version. You have to do grinding.

You fucking suck then
Or you dont know what grinding means

Tales of Vesperia

i didnt ever have to grind on NES version. it is a way more casual game than all of the others in the series, except maybe 11

Grinding means taking your time to kill enemies over and over to level up, typically sitting in one spot near a town.
You have to do this in IV on DS, hell, its a mandatory part of the beginning of literally every mainline Dragon Quest except for XI's normal mode.
Plus on top of that you have Torneko's chapter, the chapter which consists of nothing but grinding enemies for money and drops to sell for more money.

Sounds like you need to play strange journey.

Maybe grinding teaches you to respect patience.

Fast forward is not cheating
Save states are cheating

This isn't about whether or not grinding is good, its about whether or not DQIV DS has grinding at all.

>Everyone goes on about how DQ3 is the greatest DQ game
>Have to grind every now and then
>Party are all silent
>You forget every character you meet because theres very little story at all
>99% of combat is mashing attack
It's literally FF1 but with class changing and optional content/side quests, even DQ2 had more character than this.
I really don't see the appeal of these non engaging RPG's.
I feel like Dragon Quest only starts to appeal to me from 4 and beyond.

DQ3's praise is heavily fueled by nostalgia. The twist that you are the legendary Erdrick and this is all a prequel is cool, and it was certainly ahead of it's time. But nowadays, its just not that special.

>Pick up Dragon Warrior for the NES
>Although basic, it's got the fundamentals nailed down and it's pretty fun
>Makes me feel bad about modern RPGs

Remember when you thought everything was going to get better and better?

Attached: aaaaaa cat.jpg (1200x886, 96K)

Modern jrpgs are still fun.

No. Even the devs of these games understand that they're garbage and need a speed up button.

Started playing it today literally 10 hours ago, I can confirm there is grinding.

DQ3 is immensely more open than FF1, it also includes nice things like a Day&Night cycle, which is neat, especially for a NES game.

I played DQ3 on SNES before. How is it on GBC? I want to try for the extra dungeons. Is the monster medal grind as awful as it looks?

Is that penis armor

is their a chart for DQ?

>but does it count as cheating?

Unless you've got the free time of a jobless teenager, it doesn't matter.

It always fucking sucks when some modern 30gb game can't fucking beat a 512kb NES game.

Attached: __hero_and_heroine_dragon_quest_iv_and_etc_drawn_by_ebira__sample-ddd4df4ebdb25c7645934c337a61d2d6.j (850x652, 204K)

It is. Just cheat the medals in.

Xenoblade

Not him but modern JRPGs completely pale in comparison to how they used to, the last really good JRPGs released last gen, current gen RPGs are so some of the cheapest and worst, we just don't get JRPGs the size they were on the PS1 which not only had tons and tons of content but plenty of assets as well like plenty of unique monsters without reskins/colors and unique NPC's.

This gen the best JRPG we have is DQ11 because every other JRPG is either kusoge nep/atelier/compile heart shit or some cheap JRPG held back by being a handheld multiplat or just plain mediocre like the trails games

Dev's will say its too expensive because they don't want to remake and redesign every single enemy, NPC, area, room, overworld and recreate every minigame for something like final fantasy 7 with current gen graphics or make any game on those old grand scale games.

No but it’s pretty straightforward to get into. I’d say start with 6 or 9. You can skip 5 and 8. 1 is good but play it after 3

Just start with XI S and go back and black some others afterward.

>I’d say start with 6 or 9. You can skip 5 and 8. 1 is good but play it after 3
What kind of weird shit is that?
Play 8 or 11 (Switch version looks to be the best version but the one on PS4/PC is still damn good)
While not great DS version of 4 is also a good game to play if you want more of a SNES style JRPG. DQ5 on DS is wonderful as well.
DQ3 is considered the best JRPG ever made but one of the things to make it so beloved is how it links it with DQ1 and 2 and man those games are hard to go back to.
DQ6 and 7 are good but they aren't really ones you should play if you are just starting.

6 or 9 makes sense as a starting point since their numerals are inverse of each other. 6-9 equals 6-9.

1 after 3 to introduce erdrick