Any tips for a first time player?

any tips for a first time player?

Attached: 0ae5beab7bab769a8c9a3bb2a0d46453a6a2c852.jpg (616x353, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=22
youtube.com/watch?v=dtyvh-DeQYs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

rape them, rape them all

New recruits somehow fuck things up even if the chances say something else, keep that in mind. Getting high level characters is the key to success as the higher the level, the more consistent their performance will be and the more you can rely on them to get new recruits through missions. Overwatch if you're unsure what to do and always try to get full cover unless you're aware of all possible risks.

Attached: xcombaby.jpg (1007x1462, 461K)

Spam explosives

Attached: 1544409253065.jpg (736x904, 287K)

play on ironman

Only use overwatch mid-fight if you really don't want the enemy moving, or you know they have to move. Otherwise use hunker down at the end of the turn.
Use explosives to blow up cover and deal guaranteed damage, fuck loot.
Focus enemies down instead of spreading the damage out.

Early CLOSE RANGE abductions are OP as hell

nuCOM sucks, play X-Piratez

Attached: shit.jpg (900x1335, 223K)

The best defense is killing everything before it gets a turn to act.
Never use the last action of your turn to reveal new fog-of war. You don't want to activate a pod on your turn without being able to deal with it.
Don't bother taking shots at less than 80% hit chance. Either do something to improve the odds or just overwatch.
Don't take snapshot on your snipers.
Grenades are your friend.

Don't use both your movement points to go into the fog of war. You want all of your soldiers to have at least one action when you encounter the ayyys.

>lame ass RTS and other tactical games
Worst genre of them all, even worse than walking simulators

Honestly this, but I know 90% of you pussies will never do it. Just when I started to get bored with XCOM, I started an Ironman game and it was a fucking revelation. It’s an entirely different experience playing a whole campaign with no takesy-backsies whatsoever.

top 3 games now

Xcom 2 is soulless garbage.

>removed ethereals, now you have shitty avatars
>no MECs, have some shitty robot instead
>aliens no longer look like aliens
>the chosen are generic as fuck
>zombies are fucking stupid
>advent enemies are also shitty boring enemies

Ironman is amazing, but you can't really play your first campaign with that in nu-com
On the other hand it's totally viable to play a blind ironman run in OG and its mods

Nuke the thinman, they are worse then chryssalids.

Attached: 1558706759820.webm (960x540, 2.96M)

>Don't bother taking shots at less than 80% hit chance. Either do something to improve the odds or just overwatch.
don't listen to this guy, overwatch reduces your accuracy by 30%. overwatch is the better option if the enemy is in high cover, inferior option if he is in low cover.

don't listen to these guys. often in xcom you move your guy into a position, thinking you will surely have sight onto some enemy and be able to shoot him. then the game tells you no, fuck you, you are not able to see him and can't attack. because of flawed game design like this, you should play normal mode so you can undo the move when the game fucks you.

play with enemy within expansion. it's not a new campaign, it's the same campaign with more content. it does not make the game more difficult.

satellites are your best friend. a country with a satellite above give alot of extra monthly cash. the country gets reduced panic. alien abductions no longer happen in countries with satellites, thus further preventing panic.

if a country reach full panic it will leave xcom. no way to get it back in. not really a big deal unless you lose a ton of countries, but it is a potential money source that is gone.

the upgrades that let you bring extra soldiers on missions are golden. get them from the training center room thing as fast as you can.

Yeah you'r right. I feel like nuCOMs are more punishing. In original game you could get squad whiped multiple times and still reach Cydonia.

>Normal mode
>Savescumming
fucking casuals, real men only play on Ironman/Impossible and deal with all the bullshit the game trows at them

Attached: 1538190375378.png (882x667, 149K)

yeah I totally care what some autistic anime-girl posting nerd think about the way I play games

>everyone in full cover
>1 enemy in partial cover
>can shoot with 3 soldiers
>1 has >60% hit chance
>everything miss, alien crits, kill my soldier, 2 soldiers panic, one of them one shot the non panicked one
yeah no, that shit's retarded even without having aliens one shotting full hp soldiers in full cover without being in vision

>Not using Run and Gun assaults to get a 100% shot
>Not using a rocket to just erase the ayy
>Not putting everyone on Hunker Down to prevent the crit that was eventually bound to happen
you have none to blame but yourself

>>Not using a rocket to just erase the ayy
>wasting your rocket on one single enemy in low cover
you don't sound too smart

It's not a waste if it prevents the death of one soldier

except then you get mission like the one in enemy within that only throws at you fuckton of groups of 3 thinmen so you need to kill them in 1 turn and then get outside vision or they just poison your entire team/kill your guys with 2 shots anyway and then you dont have the dps to finish

Can I do this? I’m used to roguelikes and roguelites. So I probably wouldn’t mind doing this unless the campaign is hours long.

Iron man is fun but its hard to recommend when I have had the game bug out on me as much as it has, when the final boss door glitches shut there isnt a whole lot you can do

It's pretty long. I wouldn't recommend going Iron your first playthrough unless you plan on using a guide or something.

he specifically said his guys were all in full cover

>everyone thinking ironman is the best way to play NuCOM
Look, I love having consequences for actions, plans, mistakes in a mission. It makes it feel more visceral and compelling. It really gets you into thinking about each decision. EU simply doesn't handle "failure" in any constructive way. Even relatively early on, the loss of an experienced soldier can put you too far behind on the power curve. A squad wipe (remember, no meaningful evac or Pyrrhic Victory options) after the first few months of meaningful soldiers is essentially a game over if you're playing on anything easy.

XCOM2 handles failure better (and LW2 does it the best). I would steer you towards ironman in those. But EU? Nah. Make a rule that you have to restart a mission wholly or something. Savescumming through every turn is just as unfun. But don't ironman.

S N I P E R S

20 hours is roughly what a first timer will spend on a campaign, I would think

Why does the screen jerk around when I try to toss a grenade?

>500 hour's of dull and boring grind with over 9000 research tree topics.
I'll better play fan patch version of og game

Attached: 1559835098443.jpg (915x1063, 344K)

enjoy yourself

Attached: mission status.png (500x500, 275K)

What’s that?

>expected a modern console game to be harder than an old-school pc game
retards, everyone

cover and grenades are your friend

Attached: xcom.gif (500x375, 1022K)

>when the final boss door glitches shut there isnt a whole lot you can do
that's because there are still some aliens alive, most likely the second group of thinmans in one of the airlocks, they are easy to miss because you're not forced to go in their room

When deciding to invest in armor or weapons a man on an XCOM thread once told me "A dead enemy does 0 damage". So on my second run I took that advice, skipped laser weapons, and when plasma was introduced I immediately invested and wiped the floor of alien scum.

Finished vanilla 1 years ago. Should I play ew or long war?

...ok? why did you skip lasers?

in order to save research time and resources for other items I needed. the extra research time definitely helped. Missions would be longer because of the base weapons used, but it was a worthy tradeoff.

Don't play XCOM 2

Recruits at the start are complete dogshit compared to the ones you get later on after upgrades so don't be too miserable if you lose a couple of your Chads. If you have the dlc the grappling suit thing on the sniper + tall building makes them the most broken class. Don't do the mission with the crysalids early on because they will overwhelm and wipe your whole squad (I probably butchered the name but I haven't played it in about a year, had over 180 hours on it though) The mech suit is sick and you can punch aliens through their own spaceship walls but it is also dlc

Go straight for LW

Yes, play openxcom and possibly Xpiratez mod instead

Attached: 429.png (918x669, 258K)

I guess i'd say
>Metal Gear Solid 2
>Red Dead Redemption
>Earthbound/Final Fantasy 7/Uncharted 2/Witcher 3/Dark Souls/Super Mario World/Dead Space/Okami/Shadows of the Colossus/Castlevania SOTN

Overwatch

spider suit with grapple is in the base game

You should try an rts user, there's a few good ones that don't require Korean precision

What do you recommend for a first-timer

Advent-white people
Sectoid-asians
Vipers-jews
Mutons-niggers
Chryssalids-mexicans

coh2

Command and conquer got me into playing rts every now and again, the age of series (empires, mythology) is very entry level and fun too

Never ever rush, and always use overwatch

Throwing people straight into XPiratez will just turn them off from XCOM/X-COM. It's a fantastic game, but it's nowhere to start without previous knowledge of how these type of games work.

Also, classic ironman is the only real way to play the game. Don't worry about losing, it's a part of the experience

I miss bradfordposting

Attached: 1b3.png (640x360, 400K)

don't expect autists to understand that

My bad I think I confused it with the psi shit

Use gotcha again, it tells you things the game should tell you by default.

Ironmeme is still a meme because the game can bug the fuck out and you have no recourse. Just don't savescum like a bitch.

>my way is the only real way to do something
autist detected. opinion discarded.

Attached: 1454611857309.png (1280x720, 1.16M)

DUDE LETS JUST MAKE A GENERIC HALO GUY RIPOFF ENEMY LMAO

Attached: 38ADD4C1-AB6C-4978-825B-4985DAA83CE6.png (360x450, 156K)

savescumming faggot

DUDE LETS JUST MAKE A BORING GREY ALIEN LMAO

Attached: A355A73A-94CC-46F8-9379-CEB2AC0C7F3D.png (360x450, 143K)

DUDE LETS MAKE MUTONS SCARY AGAIN LIKE THE FIRST GAME? NAH MAKE THEM RETARDED SKINNY SHRIMP FAGGOTS LMAO

DUDE REMEMBER WHEN ALIENS LOOKED LIKE ALIENS AND NOT GENERIC ANTHROPOMORPHIC ANIMALS? ME NEITHER

Attached: 1308A7E6-8FB5-49C5-B904-D7B389422AEA.png (360x450, 168K)

get some self control you little bitch

That's a great design though

Now I’m interested

DUDE LETS MAKE AN ALIEN THAT LOOKS LIKE DISEMBODIED EGYPTIAN ENEMY FROM FINAL FANTASY LMAO

Attached: B43D4B43-5EA2-4112-BC72-1FBFFEE2A80D.png (360x450, 144K)

Why doesn’t he have legs?

the fuck is wrong with you holster your autism

This looks way more like an Overwatch character than anything else. Also, stop posting you sperg

>complains about being generic
>complains about not being generic
the goalposting is strong with this one

DUDE REMEMBER THE MECS FROM EW??? LETS MAKE A SHITTY ENEMY THAT EMULATES THEM LMAO

Attached: 7D50DAF5-305B-438E-A4FC-B9698C38411F.png (400x542, 191K)

BETRAYAL!

BEEEEEEEETRAAAAAAAAAYYYYAAALL!!

Attached: 427973-snakeman_mug_shot.jpg (297x297, 14K)

Fucking neck yourself.

DUDE LETS TAKE OUT ALL OF THE SOUL FROM THE ORIGINAL CHRYSSALID DESIGN AND GIVE IT A MEAN FACE SO NORMIES KNOW THAT ITS EVIL LMAO

Attached: 037C36F7-BA82-41EA-AB9C-099C8909891A.png (360x450, 126K)

Step 1. Acquire In The Zone
Step 2. Win gaimu

Ya seethe?

ITT: An autist with a broken caps lock button humiliates himself

Dug this up just for you OP
Have fun.

Attached: 1555689226860.png (1000x7494, 2.31M)

DUDE GENERIC BLOB ENEMY WITH LE SPOOKY FACE LMAO

Attached: A9ED8C8F-3CA0-4C27-8B56-C764DB23DC68.png (360x450, 181K)

unintentional waifu simulator

creating the /vr/ containment board was the right move

>game about sexy ladies blasting muties.
>graphics stuck in 1990s

I just can't into this.

Attached: o3jAqcf.png (1057x667, 789K)

You can win every battle and still get fucked in the ass by forgetting to manage panic. Always have at least one satellite under construction, don't forget to upgrade your interceptors, and build the foundry asap.

What's the best ability in the game and why is it Squadsight?

shittu tastu

XCom isn't an RTS
Also got me to reply so congrats I guess.

DUDE LETS MAKE A LE SO RANDUMB ENEMY LMAO

Attached: F898C1BC-4B12-42B4-82B6-8093C94BC0F0.jpg (594x334, 31K)

I'll give you tactics tips that helped me:
Make sure your first move per turn is blue move.
Make sure your first move per turn is furthest into the fog you move that turn.
Orange goop is important but don't break either of the two rules above to get it.
Half cover is better than no cover but try to always avoid it and find full cover
If you have no shot, overwatch.
counsel missions spam thin men
Med kits make the holder immune to poison.
Guaranteed damage is the best damage, explosives are sometimes key to winning engagements because of that fact, valhen is a beautiful sexy idiot who hates explosions.
Playing Ironman is a better experience, but start on normal if you do
Long war is great but only after beating the ew imo

Enjoy the top 5 best games of all time.

DUDE LETS MAKE AN ENEMY THAT REFERENCES BIOSHOCK BECAUSE WE’RE SO HIP AND COOL AND NOSTALGIC LMAO

Attached: 6C93DD13-6C10-4EA2-B705-BA5220017E17.png (360x450, 199K)

I'm surprised he hasnt complained about the sectopod which was the hugest downgrade in design and the absence of the cyberdisk which was the coolest design from the first one

>that filter

Attached: chen gun.jpg (1414x1000, 306K)

DUDE LETS MAKE A GENERIC BLACK ROBOT AND PAINT GREEN LINES ON IT LMAO

Attached: 9304ED14-29BD-4AF8-B636-3DC21868AE21.jpg (360x450, 33K)

Mod it!

Attached: steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net.jpg (637x358, 57K)

spam overwatch and let enemies come to you

>Med kits make the holder immune to poison.
Is this really true? Never heard it before.

I love the cyberdisk, sleek featureless UFO turning into floating death scorpion made of knives made me realise shit had gotten real.

DUDE REMEMBER THE CYBERDISC? NAH FUCK THAT MAKE SOME SHITTY FLOATING ORB INSTEAD LMAO

Attached: 5FF707F2-8C33-4544-B33F-F7F89C5DB105.png (360x450, 202K)

Yes, pretty sure it was in the item description too

DUDE REMEMBER WHEN THE SECTOPOD LOOKED ALIEN AND NOT HUMAN? WHO CARES NORMIES WILL EAT IT UP LMAO

Attached: 69F345E1-A768-4F5D-BA68-17C6629DF219.png (360x450, 164K)

This guy is actually pretty funny.

How does that look human to you?

I think you may genuinely be autistic. Not memeing, go see a doctor.

DUDE LETS REPLACE THE ETHEREALS WITH BORING HUMAN ENEMIES WITH SHITTY HAIR LMAO

Attached: E7C38B41-843A-4A47-9066-EB0A388CC951.png (360x450, 139K)

No

ignore him user, he's on an autistic fit.

It looks like the trucks advent uses

DUDE LETS MAKE ALIENS THAT LOOK LIKE THEYRE STRAIGHT OUT OF MASS EFFECT HAHA SO COOL LMAO

Attached: DDCB159D-A45C-433A-A785-2148D90D8B80.jpg (360x360, 17K)

Do one for the chosen!

Save often because both the games are buggy messes

>DUDE FUCKING ANIME SHONEN VILLIAN ALIENS WITH LE EBIN EVOL SPEECHES
but i'm MAD

You're right, that's why I said "possibly" xpiratez meaning later on after the regular game

Anyone else wish Advent were actual humans?

Killing ayylmaos is satisfying but killing traitor fucking shits like Exalt was ecstatic, I feel like there was a missed opportunity here. Knowing you are fighting humans instead of shitty clone troopers really drives home how desperate and changed the world has become. Firaxis took the easy way out.

The campaign is long but you can survive a lot more setbacks than you'd think.
I managed to win a classic ironman campaign where I squad wiped repeatedly to the point where I had nothing but one sergeant and a bunch of rookies. You just have to hold on long enough.

You're not alone. I was bummed when it was revealed they aren't actually humans who drank the lmao goo.

>1100 hours in one campaign midway year 2 by making it marahton/long war
Honestly as annoying as it was to trouble shoot and find the perfect combination it was a great time waster until shadowbringers. The only thing I wish was a thing was the reinforcement spam but configurable to when and tactical dark events from lw2.

All the third faction mod are humans which is fun until you realize they only grenade xcom and will kill VIP even if they haven't been activated by your soldiers.

don't put all your eggs in one basket
don't count your chickens before they hatch
a bird in the had is worth two in the bush
birds of a feather flock together
the early bird catches the worm

never explore with your last action
never explore with your last guy after everyone else has already moved

Are you okay user

No I have a huge case of sunk cost fallacy please help

>123 replies
>no mention of "break LOS"
unironically a god-tier tactic that retards never use because they think that pushing up and trying to kill before they get killed is the best way to play. Applying pressure only works if you have the positioning and people to back it up, otherwise your shit will get pushed in. Sometimes it's just better to backpedal to better cover, hit OW and wait for the ayys to find you.

also, pistols are useful :^)

Attached: XCG.png (385x439, 35K)

Cover is for virgins.
Real men break line of sight.

Attached: 1529326426979.png (960x720, 180K)

>>will kill VIP even if they haven't been activated by your soldiers.
>just started a run with these mods installed
uh oh

It honestly depends on the map and if they fight advent near them. If its a short map and they start fighting your or advent near the vip and they are flanked they will shoot them.

Will Long War 2 ever be finished or at least compatible with War of the Chosen?

if im not wrong they stoped working on long war 2

there's a group of modders working on long war of the chosen

wait really
please Don't Get My Hopes Up

Pretty sure there's even an alpha version out now. Thankfully, I think they dropped all the ideas about "rebalancing" the mod for new content and are just planning to port it directly.
It seems likely that they'll succeed at that assuming they don't get bored.

Yah i think they post all the updates here
pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=22

I apologize, I did not mean "harder" as in "more difficult". I meant "bigger" and "harder" as in MORE XTREME BIGGER AND HARDER AS IN HOW YOUR DICK GETS BIGGER AND HARDER WHEN YOUR MOM RUBS YOUR SHOULDERS LIKE SHE DID WHEN YOU WERE A KID AND IT MAKES YOU FEEL KINDA WEIRD BUT YOU PASS IT OFF AND GO ABOUT YOUR DAY BECAUSE YOU AIN'T INTO INCEST AND YOU'RE A WELL ADJUSTED HUMAN BEING WHO CAN COMPARTMENTALIZE THEIR LIFE
youtube.com/watch?v=dtyvh-DeQYs

Attached: giphy.gif (354x266, 493K)

RTS is strategy, not tactics. XCOM is also turn based, not real time.

Also, you've gotta be kidding. A good RTS is amazing and shits all over walking sims. Imagine thinking Gone Home is worse than Age of Empires 2.

>last update jun 8
thank you user

Attached: 1544376860069.gif (250x250, 222K)