Why did Ultimate fail to kill Melee? Wasn't Ultimate just a better version of the same game?

Why did Ultimate fail to kill Melee? Wasn't Ultimate just a better version of the same game?

Attached: 1554561086780.png (180x314, 92K)

because showerless manchildren refuse to move on from a childrens party platformer

They could release Melee 2 and Melee fags...I mean, Melee "fans" still wouldn't play it because they're obsessed with a twenty year old game they've perfected and refuse to move on.

Believe it or not, but people who have stuck to a 15 year old game are not rational people

Melee is more fun to watch. Also, it's smaller

It's kinda sad that we have people like you that are younger than the website itself

>perfected
>literally just this month there was a gigantic meta upset

Melee has too much of a legacy.
Ultimate's netcode is still garbage which kills the momentum.
People don't want to learn new match-ups and stuff, which they would have to relearn on Ultimate as well as learn many more.
Ultimate, despite everything, still feels awkward, slow and wonky at times, and at least the melee folks had time to grow into its awkward features. (Personally I liked Sm4sh most but whatever that game's fucking dead now)
Ultimate still emphasizes on show too much with showcase lags, zoom-ins, the fact they allowed the game to start with the huge text blocking the field 5 seconds into the match.

Honestly I don't know if I like Ultimate or Melee more, Ultimate feels friendlier but you don't actually need to learn all techs to do well in Melee (mid-knowledge is good enough if you're good at reading), whereas Ultimate feels too "tactical" and "know what to use or get fucked". Though that's just my own experience and I wish we could finally move on and Nintendo would give in and make one super good Smash we can all consolidate on (and finally some fucking proper netcode holy shit playing projectiles/swordies/heavies in online is the ultimate cancer)

Also, it's smaller roster of characters means a more predictable meta which pros like. Also tech skill.

>isn't ultimate better
Have you played both games??

Project M was literally a better fucking Melee and Meleefags still swore by their game. They will never be move on or be satisfied by anything different.

What was the upset? I don't really follow it but I'm curious

why do meleefags on Yea Forums do nothing but cite numbers instead of going to their local or trying to get netplay going

Captain Falcon, who was considered to be the best character who wasn't good enough to win tournaments, won a major tournament for like the first time this decade or something by beating the best player currently in the world.

If you think new smash games will permanently kill melee then you need to pay more attention to the melee scene.

If PM was streamable it would eventually have been adopted by the larger Melee community, I feel. You'd still have the top level players playing Melee, but eventually PM would have become the standard.
The dev team abandoning it for their failed game Icons didn't help either, but now there are new teams picking up the development and it's still the most fun Smash game for me personally.

>who was considered to be the best character who wasn't good enough to win tournaments
This makes no sense, if he's considered to be the best character the fact that people don't win tournaments with him is the players problem so if the character that is considered the best winning a tournament is not really a "big change in the meta".

Welcome to the retarded melee community. If you win with Donkey Kong tomorrow it's because the meta has shifted and not because you're a good player.

You misunderstood. He was considered the "lowest tier" of the characters that are viable at a high competitive level. Technically the character is strong enough to beat a Fox or Marth or Sheik, but the matchups were stacked against him in such a way that it seemed very unlikely anyone would ever win a major tournament with Falcon. A "Major" is a tournament where most of the top-level players in the world are in attendance. That means a character most considered too weak to ever win a major tournament just prevailed over most of the world's best players as well as the current reigning champion, who is still considered a huge threat for even the top-level competitors. This happened purely due to the raw genius of the Falcon player, who happens to be a younger, up-and-coming star who is revolutionizing the game with the way he plays.

tl;dr: Melee is not stale.

it's because melee is and always will be the best smash game.

PM was also an unofficial mod and was aborted by GIMR. it was never going to replace melee.

fuck GIMR

It means both dumbass.

>If PM was streamable it would eventually have been adopted by the larger Melee community
The larger community is esports so that wouldn't happen

>This happened purely due to the raw genius of the Falcon player
So it has nothing to do with game, it's just a REALLY good player, so it's even more meaningless since it has nothing to do with new tech being discovered or anything related to the game itself, the meta is still the same it just has a dude that's really good with a high competitive level viable character.

it's not a 'change in the meta', this isnt league of legends where they mess around with the characters every couple weeks. he just got good at the game in general and played to falcon's strengths.

no, Falcon is considered to be the best character out of the characters who don't win tournaments.

ultishart players enjoy crapping in their briefs, they cannot understand the joys of melee

Attached: 1559522982545.jpg (1101x826, 147K)

So bracket luck happened

ultimate was never meant to "kill melee" and if you ever thought this unironically you fell for the shitposts and should feel like a moron

no because he beat the best guy in the world TWICE

Ultimate is just Tr4sh 2.0. Tra5h

>People actually trying to defend Melee as not being a solved game

The only reason so many interesting things are happening in Melee right now is because so many of the top players have recently retired, making room for new people. The game is solved.

Melee players defended it when the same 4 people won every major, and now they're defending the shifting of power as "an evolving meta".

>Wasn't Ultimate just a better version of the same game?
No momentum, no di and basic bitch combos

fpbp

im a showerless manchild and proud. new games fucking suck

Failure implies that Ultimate died in Melee’s place, which ain’t the case at all. I’d imagine Melee’s still around because it has a deep cult of personality revolving around it, with like 7 or 8 different people who are excellent at the game & really fucking active online, telling people how shit every other Smash & every other fighting game is while playing Melee 24/7 to entertain people.
Charisma is a wacky fucking thing, it can create fierce mobs of crazies if the right guy’s saying shit they wanna hear.

Attached: 12D10211-2E77-4845-AEFA-DC409F568E00.jpg (229x300, 9K)

Attached: 1517946982393.png (233x261, 84K)

or because the game is just good and a lot of people still want to play it

>brawlfags: THIS WILL KILL MELEE
>doesnt
>tr4shfags, the former brawlfags: THIS WILL KILL MELEE
>doesnt
>tr4.5shfags, the former tr4shfags: THIS WILL KILL MELEE
>

You're wrong.

Melee's just fun
Ultimate's Brawl 3 and that's perfectly fine but it's not a very good substitute

This. Nu-smashfags have no idea what it's like to be able to stick with a singular perfect title instead of blindly playing the newest entry.

>it's just another wojak

Ultimate is pretty good, but Melee is still the best.

It's built such a strong grassroots community over the years that it's been able to withstand the test of time and it has only gotten larger with the rise of Twitch because it's also really fun to watch for spectators.

The Ultimate and Melee communities also feed off each other.

Anything after 64 is literally nu-smash

Melee has nostalgia behind it.

Why melee players are so insecure about their game?? The fact that you only highlight viewers and not entrant numbers or pot prizes means that your playerbase doesn't actually play the game but only watch them why are numbers at CEO 2019 bad when your community doesn't have an EVO to attend yet ultimate is the number 1 in both and this is something that happens regularly in other FGC tournaments, not only that your top players complain about attending tournaments because the pot size doesn't justific the lose of their twitch subs not to mention that the number of new sponsor is abysmal for a "big" game.

>taking bait posts seriously

fuck off, GIMR is a convenient scapegoat, it's the modders that killed it off in favour of their own shitty game.

nu-smash began with Brawl, it was the first title where Sakurai intentionally made it shit to despise tourneyfags. He's adopted this mindset ever since.

>worse wavedashs , basically useless
>same shitty air slow down as the last games
>fake dash dances
>need to hit someone into the nearest blastzone to ever actually kill, still low combo factor overall
>grabs are terrible for no real reason
>edgeguards still favor the person recovering 10 to 1
it's shit

melee is literally 64-2

its no surprise that the average vermin virgin is too unintelligent to understand that ultimate and melee have completely different gameplay, melee's being vastly superior. go back to playing fortnite fucktards

take a shower

good, tourneyfags are absolute cancer. Smash is a dumb fun party game meant to play while drunk and or high with your bros on a friday night. This is literally how Sakurai intended the game to be played. Not some be autistic e-sport bullshit

If it wasn't an intended way to play it how come you can?

with what, like a new way of playing him, some new technique? if not, how does this change the meta at all?

melee is only popular with the same handful of autists and their numbers are dwindling by the year
Ultimate is popular with pretty much everyone , pros and casuals alike so fuck your opinion

He's playing the character in a very non-conventional way, and is capable of performing a very difficult but good technique consistently, "reaction tech-chasing":

he got lucky with the seeding and avoided facing the players that would have beat him or sent him to losers early on. consistency is what matters

No, while it is similar to Melee, it is its own thing.

Yes indeed my fellow melee player, I too love injuring my own wrist doing glitches and having the choice between the 3 top tier characters. Ultimate cannot hope to compete as it has no glitches and way too many characters to choose from.

Attached: fatroda.png (235x290, 104K)

64=Proto-Smash
Melee=Old Smash
Brawl and onwards=Nu-Smash

>if I wasn't supposed to eat soap how come I can?

Attached: 1523453450049.png (645x729, 62K)

So you have nothing?

Nothing will ever "kill" melee because it is so different from all the other smash games and Sakurai refuses to replicate the things that people like about it.

One player winning a major with falcon is not a "gigantic meta upset", no more than Hungrybox being #1 with jiggs is a "meta upset"

metas are not defined by one person's performance

DUDE

Man I love PM. I wish someone could do an Ult one.

>game that plays like melee
>with the likes of rool, banjo and ridley in it
sounds fucking based

>I thought Melee was forever but look Ultimate killed it
>thread dies
>Look Ultimate failed to kill Melee
>ultshitters come out of the woodwork

Attached: 1404919274698.png (1920x1080, 269K)

So you justify being bad at game as its intended way to play then huh?

Cockroaches don't die either.

Right? Imagine fucking Cloud with real ass combos.

Oh my

Attached: This trigger the meleefag.jpg (917x511, 57K)

Fpbp

he refuses to replicate the bugs?

Ultimate fans are not even operating on the same wavelength as Melee pros. It's like asking a baseball fan why they'd buy a ticket to the World Series when they could go bowling instead.

Attached: 1535848816496.png (284x346, 103K)

If you don't know why Melee is still alive you are a genuine retard and you hated videogames, but hey, we are on Yea Forums.

Based

As said, nu-Smash
If it's not played on 5 stocks, it's nu-Smash

This user gets it. Stop comparing the games, the way the metagames function are entirely different apart from the basics of smash gameplay. Watching both nets you an entirely different experience
One doesn't have to die for the other to thrive

NNNOOOOOOOOO Yea ForumsROS, THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE YEAR WE KILLED MELEE, IT'S TIME TO PULL OUT THE BIG GUNS, WE NEED BASED NINTENDO TO SEND C&DS TO TOURNAMENTS AGAIN

Attached: 1559599088552.webm (936x527, 2.88M)

Attached: 1559667588318.png (4096x2304, 794K)

This is true, but don't forget that he wiped the VGBC channels of all the vods. It's a wonder that there are archives of any of it.

it wasn't just gimr, but there was certainly a coordinated effort to kill PM beyond the devs' shitty game and he was the highest profile. PM fucking vanished once smash 4 was about to release and the whole "don't mention it on stream" shit was widespread

Attached: 1532527101071.jpg (300x300, 20K)

>Mortal Kombat 11 made it in over Melee
>FUCKING STREET FIGHTER 5 DID TOO
This will never not be funny

Not a serious fighting game

People actually play Ultimate while Melee provides a better viewer experience