The gameplay in these games is arduous and fatiguing. Why are they so renowned?

The gameplay in these games is arduous and fatiguing. Why are they so renowned?

Attached: 220px-Silent_Hill_2.jpg (220x317, 25K)

Silent Hill 2 isn't very fatiguing.
Resident Evil games are fucking boring for that, but leave based Silent Hill out of this.

I hope you mean combat, which is just part of the gameplay.
It's outdated sure, don't max out the difficulty, and you'll be fine

Use really people words you pretentious euro faggot

I mean playing the game in general. When I walk into a new complex I just let out a sigh and want to turn off the game because manually checking every single door is so fucking boring.

To each their own. I find their gameplay really engaging and immersive. Love the atmosphere as I explore. Makes it more enjoyable than most resident evil games for me even though the gameplay is a bit more simplified.

Brainlet OP
objectively wrong, Silent Hill is locked door simulator, RE gameplay easily better

This is why I hate Americans, and I AM an American.

im canadian stupid nigger
also kys virgin

that's the reason I play these kinds of games;
if you don't like it, don't play it;
playing a game just for the story when you don't like the gameplay is stupid, especially in a game like SH

It's the controls. Especially the fixed angle camera. Feels really dated when you go back to it.

>It's the controls. Especially the fixed angle camera.
Have you ever played a Silent Hill game?

>Why are they so renowned?
for havin actual story

>It's the controls.
How old are you though?
Honestly they are kind of comfy.

nah RE is boring, just micromanaging your inventory running back and forth to the item box to offload all the keys the game drops on you
Silent Hill is comfy and doesn't get in the way of wandering around and dropping the occasional enemy. Way better atmosphere and soundtrack.

Silent Hill is only fun on the highest difficulty. The input skill demand is very low and what makes the games fun AS A GAME is the slow burn tension of how much health and ammo you can hold onto while progressing through dungeons. I hate that people treat SH as a movie franchise that gets a pass when no, the actual interactive component of the games were in fact quite important, and the later SH devs never got that part right either along with the themes and tone etc.

Every SH game after the first one features the option for traditional controls though?

if RE gameplay is boring than silent hill is sleeping simulator
your logic doesn't make sense

Played 2 and 3 on release many aeons ago but I remember the indoors camera being fixed angle, yes.

There's a pretty cool video where they hacked in a free camera and you can see some stuff that's impossible to see with the default camera yet they still bothered making the assets for it. It's pretty cool.

Because once upon a time before you zoomers came along, "cinematic" was not a dirty word and in fact a standard that many games strove toward.

>especially the fixed camera angles
Brainlet post. Fixed camera angles let developers control exactly what you can and can’t see in a moment, adding to the horror when done well

I like these games for exploration, puzzles, atmosphere and story user. I never play SH or RE games on the highest difficulty because I don't like not having ammo/health at all times, also the combat isn't the best part of these games for sure.

Dont ever pretend to be me and say I'm Canadian you fucking faggot, literally the most cuckolded group next to eurotrash

you ARE a redditor

Atmosphere, story & characters

Attached: pyramid.png (756x435, 326K)

Just play Resident Evil, it's like Silent Hill but better and doesn't put you to sleep.

Resident Evil 1 is orders of magnitude more fatiguing to play than Silent Hill 1. God fucking damn I dropped that game so hard once those green goblin things showed up.

Although I said the games are fun on hard, they still aren't actually that hard and the main secret to winning is that you can skip most enemies and that once you find a good melee weapon you can save all your best ammo for boss enemies. If you consider yourself a silent hill fan but have yet to play any of the games on hard then you owe it to yourself to do so because it's quite enjoyable and makes that fear/tension more real than merely projected because you're actually playing a tense situation rather being shown one. Hard on Silent Hill 2 hardly makes a difference, but Hard on SH3 is some real shit. I did that for my first playthrough and it was frankly exhausting at times, but you'll certainly be afraid.

Literally everyone agrees that RE is vastly better than Jank Hill games

>once those green goblin things showed up.

Yeah nah, you don't know shit.

It's pretty light compared to other survival horrors and games of its time.

I literally have WEBMs from my very own Saturn proving I've played it.

Attached: resident_composite.webm (800x533, 2.97M)

Weird as it is to say, you don't play survival horror games for refined mechanics. They still operate on basic action adventure logic but there's usually an emphasis on depowering the player in the face of adversity. Because of this, it tends to work out on an aesthetic/atmospheric level that the gameplay is a bit exhausting, which is part of why I find the genre interesting as a whole.

That doesn't sound frightening, it sounds irritating. Silent Hill games were never scary anyway. They are comfy exploration games first and foremost.

agreed, but I guess you meant for

Yeah my bad

I agree with him. Also, this post is not even an argument.

It was all in story and atmosphere. No one played sh for gameplay

I did, I liked exploring

SH1 has good gameplay, for the time in which it came out.
You can move and shoot, circle-strafe, manipulate the camera in dynamic/weird ways, etc.

Like all aspects of the design, later games were stuck in the past on the gameplay front.

>The gameplay in these games is arduous and fatiguing
Sounds like that's (You)r own issue.
The gameplay of classic survival horror games is fun and engaging.

>Every SH game after the first one features the option for traditional controls though?
Nobody uses that shit voluntarily. 2D controls are infuriating and imprecise.

>Silent Hill games were never scary anyway.
False. They were, and still are, some of THE scariest games ever created.

You're wrong, shithead. I LOVE traditional survival-horror's gameplay, and how it makes you plan your next move ahead.

>That doesn't sound frightening, it sounds irritating.
t. underaged ADHD action-homo.

Sounds like the games weren't made for (You)

Attached: 1498447702673.jpg (500x600, 259K)

2D type controls are for that (very shitty) microwave maze-thing in 3, and that's it; everything else is better with tank controls.

>2D type controls are for that (very shitty) microwave maze-thing in 3, and that's it;
I tried using them for that specific purpose couple times. Didn't work at all.