PS2 has a loud grinding noise when reading data (loading screens). 90001 is my model. any ideas on wat it could be

PS2 has a loud grinding noise when reading data (loading screens). 90001 is my model. any ideas on wat it could be

Attached: Sony-PlayStation-2-PS2-Slim-Silver-Replacement-Console.jpg (400x300, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f7fCTHu99bk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bump

I've identified your problem. You're using optical media. Stop that. Use HD loader with free mcboot

it works its just lod. dunno if ps2 is dying

I also have a 90001 and have the same issue never knew why

VEGETA. WHAT DOES THE OP SAY ABOUT HIS MODEL NUMBER?

Attached: KlZAGTwy_400x400.jpg (256x256, 15K)

Probably your laser getting out of position/dying because its getting old

Have you taken into consideration the possibility that you may be a nutter for playing the PS2?

Attached: 1543786397302.png (202x206, 46K)

Attached: 1527689427312.gif (480x480, 2.56M)

>HDD loader
>PS2 slim

Attached: brainlet missing brain.png (817x443, 34K)

Probably because the PS2 is old as fuck, I'll admit they're pretty resilient but it might be time to give it up
What game you tryna play anyway user

mine was also making really loud sounds like that too during loads but then it stopped for some reason, i didn't even do anything
>HD loader
>on a slim

IT'S OVER 9000

Attached: 9000.jpg (720x520, 206K)

shining force exa

You think that's bad? Go get yourself a dreamcast. Here, let me describe the process when booting a game

>*click*
>BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
>WWHHHHHHIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRR
>ERRGGGGGGGGHHhhhhhhHHHAARRGGghghhhAAARRRGH

Probably the laser. See if you can replace it or circumvent it with a mod. I personally just run everything via SMB but you could have a problem due to running a 90001.

The first couple of hardware versions of the slim still had IDE contact points on the mobo, you could solder in a hard drive without too much trouble. Chin Chong companies even sold aftermarket cases to accommodate it.

Outside of being nitpicky, these fellas are right. Go troll Craigslist or Goodwill for a few days and grab an old fatty for $20 and an IDE hard drive out of the nearest office complex dumpster (or get a third party network adapter with a SATA port) and do that instead. Your loadtimes will be significantly better, you'll be able to bypass region protection, and your system will last longer.

Attached: 1547191634925.jpg (563x651, 226K)

should i just replace the laser and see if that fixes it.

Use OPL + ethernet cable (SMB) and play the games from your pc. PS2 slim laser lens are bound to break

I mean as long as it's still reading stuff I wouldn't worry about it but I'd get a spare drive to replace it when it does die.

You don't necessarily need a HD loader. The PS2 slim can stream games off a hard drive using ethernet, which works for almost any iso

doesnt streaming have usb1.0 tier load times though?

>The first couple of hardware versions of the slim still had IDE contact points on the mobo, you could solder in a hard drive without too much trouble. Chin Chong companies even sold aftermarket cases to accommodate it.
That would be great but 90000+ PS2s can't even use freemcboot in the first place

Could be spiders in your ps2.

It's a faster.

It's waaay faster. USB is slow as hell indeed

Has anyone tried playing booting PS1 games with a softmodded FCMB PS2? I'm reading about some PSXLoader thingy that makes swapping CDs cake, all I need is a backup of the game I want to play and an actual PS1 game.

I have and it's honestly more convenient to buy a modchip and an actual PS1. Multidisc games actually work and there's no swapping necessary, all while being 100% accurate.

>PS2 Slim

Talk about soul goddamn.

i actually completely forgot about ps2 slim. i had ps2 satin silver when it came out, apparently it had slightly quieter fan for however much more it cost.

the problem is that its not an xbox

I have an actual PSOne and it MIGHT be modchipped, how would I know if that is the case? I mean, how do you burn a game for a modded PSOne so that it works?

Just burn the .bin/.cue files to a CD at a slow speed.

>not using physical games
>thinking you can use Freemcboot on a fucking 90001 anyway

Pretty sure I've already tried that and it didn't work. Doesn't matter, I know a guy who could probably do it for 20 euros.
If you're still not tired of newbie questions, what's the best video output cable for modern HDTVs (I only have a coaxial one) and do most brands of CD fly with the PS1 like they do with the PS2?

I worked at a Game Crazy during the 6th generation, the day the slim was released we had one come back defective for an exchange, I remember pulling the non-functional one out of the box and holding it in my hands and just marveling at how tiny it was compared to the earlier models. My coworkers and I walked around and physically compared it to other consoles we had in the shop and it was wild.

Also while I'm here, I'll tell another story - the first week after the PSP launch was pretty great, we had a shitload in stock and they were selling well (even though the only sku available was a $250 combo pack). Anyway right after launch out of nowhere we started seeing anywhere from 3 to 5 well dressed, polite Englishmen coming into our location every day buying PSPs. They were always friendly, and always paid in cash, but after a while it felt like some sort of weird Monty Python skit. After the second day I finally asked one of them what was going on and it turned out they were all fighter pilots. My city had an Air Force base and they were doing some sort of joint international training so a bunch of Brits were in town for a week or so. Since the PSP had launched in NA before it was set to launch in Europe they were all coming into my shop picking them up for themselves or friends and family members back home.

What inputs does your TV have? I've had success with all types of cd-r brands. Some people will swear by verbatim printable media and it is good and consistent. It's also pretty cheap, but if you have some other stuff already just give it a shot.

It really is stupidity tiny and it weighs literally nothing, Also playing it again i had forgotten how the process of starting a game used to look before the days of 5 loading screens and 10 company logo intros.

I don't mind helping people out.
For the CD basically anything works, every no-name CD-R I have tried with it, but no clue if CD-RWs work.
As for video output watch this:
youtu.be/f7fCTHu99bk
These guys are kind of goobers but their info is top notch. Keep in mind for non-piracy stuff, a mid gen PS2 is the ideal PS1. But for piracy then a modded PS1 is the way to go.

Go play F-Zero on the SNES.

You turn the system on and you're literally at the title screen. It's a fucking trip.

user, what the fuck is wrong with my SMB? I can run it fine on opl 0.9.2, but 0.9.3 onwards it shits itself, error 300 cannot connect to SMB server. And i really want the pademu feature of the later versions.

Try reconfiguring everything. Just delete the config file and start over.

It has a
-coaxial input (but I'd rather my cable TV from that slot, thank you very much)
-HDMI
-component input (how I play my PS2 games)
-SCART
-VGA
Very informative vid, thanks. I really should stock up on used PS2 Phats, the library of games I want to play is vast.