What are some good Dragon Quest games? The smash reveal made me curious about the franchise

What are some good Dragon Quest games? The smash reveal made me curious about the franchise.

Attached: Slime_(Dragon_Quest).jpg (200x197, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cbRA1mCbrac
github.com/barronwaffles/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start with Dragon Quest 3 on GBC, then DQ 1+2 again on GBC, then 4-5-6 on DS, then 7-8 on on 3DS and lastly 9 on DS while you wait for 11 to be out on Switch. If you still want more after that, play DQ Monsters on GB, then DQM Joker 1 and 2 on DS too.

Attached: IMG_20190615_183952.jpg (3507x2138, 731K)

Here's some insight from a friend when I asked him this question

Starting game would be 8, 11 or 9
Dont do 1 and 2 because its grind heavy.

I just started playing DQ too after the reveal. Currently I'm playing through Dragon Quest XI. You don't have to understand anything about the games to get into it and enjoy it because it's a new game. DQ 1-3 are continuations of each other. I suggest starting with DQ XI because it's the easiest game to get into and its on lots of platforms rn.

>3 before 2 and 1
good post, but c'mon user. playing it in order is actually more fun because of the reveal

Rocket Slime (DS)

I know 7-8 can be played elsewhere but is there way to play the rest besides on the 3ds/ds? I really cant stand using that handheld

People say IV, V, VII, VIII and whatever the newest game is at the time are good starting points.
I say play those until one "clicks" and then play through release order.

>what DQ do I play first?
Part fucking 1. It's short, simple, inoffensive and you can play it on your phone. Also you need to play it order to understand the main twist of part 3, it's the only reason why it should be played really.
Part 2 can be skipped somewhat safely since it's the latest in the timeline of the original trilogy and serves as a sort of a testing ground for the many of gameplay conventions and setpieces that would become mainstays in the series in the future. It doesn't realise those things well though, the game drops off a cliff about halfway through, like they ran out of content, but wanted to keep the game going so they just made shit as convoluted as possible and cranked the random encounter intensity up to 11. It's playable, but as a vidya history lesson rather than a fun experience.
Part 3 is a glorious glowing masterpiece, play it. The only question is - what version should you play? There are two options - the fan translated SNES remake (which was never officially released in the west) and the mobile version. The SNES version has animated monster sprites, a decent minigame and an extra dungeon, but the translation is what you'd expect from a fan-made product. Mobile version has professional localisation that makes a lot more sense when it comes to hints and an option for autocombat, but lacks all the things I mentioned as features for SNES. Unfortunately there's no definitive edition of 3 right now, so you'll have to choose. Or just play both, I did that.
If you're afraid of touching old crusty games then start with 4. I see many people advice starting with 5, but I disagree with that heavily, as 4-6 is a trilogy and they're basically telling you to start in the middle of it. Many plot points in 5 only make sense if you already played 4. Also 4 is a far better introduction to the series in general, since 5 is the only game in the series that plays the way it does.
Part 5 is the best when it comes to plot though.

Attached: 1560539019041.jpg (680x850, 215K)

There you go.

Attached: Dragon Quest Beginner's Guide v2.png (700x4271, 2.41M)

WHERE THE FUCK IS 3 YOU FAGGOT GOOKS
I BOUGHT ALL YOUR SHITTY BUILDER AND WARRIORS GAMES, GIVE ME ROCKET SLIME 3

1 and 2 are rough. A lot of people get turned off because of this, I know I did initially. Starting with 3 is always the best way to get into the franchise in my experience

>dragon quests strong suit has never been the visuals
those are some very powerful implications that are leaving my ass super spicy

I know right

Attached: IMG_20190615_104531.png (1000x1000, 7K)

How rough are earlier DQs compared to let's say early Final Fantasy games? I'd consider FF I, II and III rough.

Alright that's a fair point

u cheeky

Rocket slime 3 is the best starting point

Just be a Chad and play the newest one

DQ1 is worse than FF1 mechanics wise. DQ2 is worse too but not by much. DQ3 is about the same but with more shit to do

3, 5, 8 and 11 are great starting points.

If you want to play them all in order, which you don't have too, at least play 1 and 2 before 3, but other than that there's no real reason to play them in order unless you're afraid of going backwards in terms of QoL changes and graphics.

Attached: dqcollection.jpg (1536x2048, 472K)

if you go for remakes then about the same.

So was the Switch release of the Heroes titles THAT bad. I know it's Japanese only, but I've been wanting to grab it lately because it Power Stone Collections both games. Mixing things from each game into eachother. Also Ragnar.

It is severely downgraded in graphics and has some big frame drops.

If you got a JP Switch account you can download the demo to see for yourself.

you're gonna be disappointed. best to see for yourself though.

Was it sub 30fps, because I can handle a drop from 60 to 30. That's how all of Sega's ports to Switch went.

It's a good time to be a Dragon Quest fan
What are your hopes for XII?

Attached: Wandering_The_Fields.png (640x480, 64K)

Funny how FF2 and DQ2 are the roughest games in their franchises. The 2s, man...

I remember it dropping a bit, DF has a great comparison video.

youtube.com/watch?v=cbRA1mCbrac

Dragon quest 9 is really good I started with it

I'm really hoping IX gets a modern remake with online.

I haven't played enough of DQ2 to really judge, but from what I could tell, it seemed like a game that was too complicated to be enjoyed in an afternoon like 1, but still too barebones for people to really be able to appreciate the expanded scope like they could with 3.

soekaing of DQ, what about this game, it is good?

Attached: file.jpg (256x360, 72K)

I just want a non-save editor way to get the classic outfits.

So basically what X is?
So do I, user. So do I.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 36K)

its not free real estate

I so wanted them to announce X was coming Westward, even if it's a pretty shallow MMO. I wanted to play as and dress up as a sexy fem ogre. :(

But at least PSO2 was announced.

I cannot recall if anyone ever got spoofing to work with DQIX like they did with Pokemon games, maybe to late to even bother with it.

Me and my friends put 200 hours into this. It's fucking awesome if you're into board games.

It´s great if you have friends.
Someone still needs to do the single player mode to unlocks more maps.

If you just want to see what the fuss is about without playing every game and pulling to every doujin and prefer 3d play 8 or alternatively just get 11.
If you like sprites play 4 & 5
5's the best
3 is good too

Finished I, is II worth playing or should I go right to III. I've heard it's important to play these in order but I've also heard just I then III is fine.

Played DQ1 on my AV Famicom last summer and had a good time. Born in 92. If I can do it so can you.

That list is awful. It's just a whole bunch of text to say nothing.

All of them

7 is the easiest to get into and the best game in the series, try that first and if you don't like it go to 9.

I really like the concept of VII, but it's probably the slowest paced game I've ever played.

Abridged:
>1-3
Mobile, GBC if you can't stand phone controls.
>4-6
Mobile, DS if you can't stand phone controls.
>7
3DS
>8
3DS for content and QoL changes. PS2 for graphics and orchestrated OST.
>9
DS only, get a friend if possible because it's MMO-esque.
>10
Never ever.
>11
Anything, definitive edition on Switch coming out soon though.

Literally just play DQ5 on DS and/or DQ8 on 3DS then DQ11 on switch

theyre the only games that matter despite what DQfags say.

Been playing 11 and it seems grindy. That spider boss after the Octogon city whooped my ass, killed all of my party members and I cheesed the fight with only Sylvando and that fat old NPC healing him. Man, I fucking hate it when the boss has an aoe ability that takes 50% of each party member's health and I have no aoe heals. Also, seemed like he was susceptible to no debuffs, I just applied decelerate on him, still died horribly. My party was at level 19-20.

I've only played the NES games and DQV up until a certain passage of time. But yes, it is a good series to get into! I played DQIII for the first time a couple years ago, and it's one of the best games I have ever played. DQIV is great as well!

I only ever played 9 and it's one of my favorite games ever. Which should I go to next?

IV, V and VIII are the best ones

I remember him being a pain in the ass, what party do you have at that stage?

>tfw the overworld in DQ3 is the real world
Just landed in Australia, wish me luck bois

Attached: dq3_group01.jpg (760x500, 65K)

are the joker games any good

In my personal opinion, Final Fantasy 3 on the NES is vastly superior to Dragon warrior 1 to 4 on the NES, so maybe use that as a perspective. I've seen some argue that DW4 is better than FF3 though.

For 8 you should also definitely mention that the 3DS has patches to uncensor it and to get the orchestral soundtrack back. The only thing the PS2 version does better are the graphics.

>Go to google app store
>Square actually has DQI-VIII, but VII is missing.
>Look it up on Wiki
>DQVII is available on iOS and Android

Does anyone know what happened to the mobile version of DQVII? I was planning on playing through all these games on my phone, but this kinda throws a wrench into that plan.

Main character, Eric, Veronica, Sabrina (I think that's her name) and Sylvando. Eric was fucking useless in that fight because you can't even inflict poison or sleep on the boss. Should've put in Sylvando from the start. Also, being unable to inflict blindness on him sucked balls. Had no chance to apply accelerate or buff on my party because I had to use Sabrina to heal and remove poison all the time.

Attached: withit.png (1280x720, 634K)

The smartphone version of VII is Japan only.

DQ slimes are probably one of the most marketable designs I've seen, how did they do it?

I had a similar problem with that boss a few days ago. Unfortunately I wasn't quite able to cheese a win out. I tried again after grinding my party up to level 22 and it went much more smoothly that time.

Fuuuuck. Well, can't be mad if it never technically made its way over here in the first place. Really weird to think they'd bring the game after VII without having VII itself though.

I've been looking for a comfy jrpg to play and DQ11 looks pretty fun. I've seen people say that playing it on hard makes it one of the best jrpgs to have come out recently. Does it go on sale often? Is it worth buying at $60 or should I hold out for the Switch version?

Well, I beat the boss, but only Sylvando got the exp because everyone else was dead lol. So I don't think it was a smart idea but I was too lazy to grind a few levels and redo the fight.

Akira Toriyama saw Wizardry slimes, made them simpler/smoother, and added a huge smile.

Switch version has a lot of additional content, I'd wait for that unless you must play it at high definition and a decent framerate.

Are you playing with Draconian settings? I've gotten past where you are by a good bit, but I hear a lot of people say that this game is too easy once you have a full party without Draconian settings, but tough as fuck if you turn on the settings that affect difficulty.

After that fight, I've just been trying to fight more enemies in the over world as I progress. I was avoiding a lot of battles before that point.

>playing DQII
>having a ton of fun
I thought this was the low point of the franchise or something? Sure, it's way more generic than 1, but it's pretty good. I just got the princess.

Top Tier - DQ5,DQ8
Good Tier - DQ4
I hate job system tiers - DQ3,DQ7
Meh Tier - DQ6,DQ9
Unga bunga Tier - DQ1,DQ2

I haven't played DQ11 but the general impression I got from asking other people opinion is that it's a lesser version of DQ8, it even got some of the same plot points like a cowardly prince going on a hunt

No Draconian settings, wasn't even aware that was a thing until I was well into the game. Is it require to 100% the game?

How am I expected to kill something that cute though? I always knew Toriyama was evil.

Yeah the spider is a very abrupt difficulty spike, I think I went and did some side shit till I was around level 20 before I fought it.
I'm pretty sure you actually can poison and fuzzle/bedazzle the spider so it hits you less but there's a pretty low chance of that happening. You're meant to use Serena and rab for heals and buffs/debuffs. Once you get Erik's divide victimiser/crit combo you start wiping endgame bosses in a couple turns.

>I can't read and must scream

Underrated as fuck spin off series
Its monopoly but good

Great taste, dq11 belongs up in top next to 8

2 can be frustrating but its also awesome to see how the series progresses, most open world game in the series
Get a guide to find those damn crests and avoid
playing on NES unless you like pain

Horii had just played Myst and wanted to make his own version of it, not even joking.

I've only played the original versions of FF1-3 and DW1-4, but if you consider FF3 rough, then you would consider DW1-4 rough too.

No its completely optional and it does not give you anything other than bragging rights

Yes very good
But grindy as all hell like all DQM are if you try to compete in multiplayer but just beating the game is not so bad
Joker 1 has dungeons with puzzles even and the setting is great

Just wait until you get the boat
Thats when the real game actually starts

This. Also, the mobile version lets you use zoom/chimera wings to go to any town you have visited previously, whereas the previous versions it just takes you back to the town where you last saved. I don't know if I would have finished the game if it didn't have that feature, there's a lot of going from town to town in that game and exploring. I actually really enjoyed it, but it's pretty janky in some areas. Still, I'd say its worth playing if you want to see the progression of the series.

>that retard that unironically suggests the GBC version of III over the SNES version

Attached: 19521970_p0.jpg (1500x800, 402K)

The ones that attack you in the field are evil and go around casting fireballs at kids so dont feel bad
The good ones adapt a pacific lifestyle an integrate great in human society

What older games can I get for free/easily/cheap?

You can emulate all of them up to DQ9, including the 3DS remakes/ports of DQ7 and DQ8.

You can get almost all of them if you're not retarded and emulate.

An user on /dqg/ is putting together the best guide.
General consensus though is that 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8 are good starting points. The reason I say 8 is because it was a starting point for many Americans.

is DQ7 on the 3ds any good. I own it but haven't played much of it. I absolutely loved 6 on the ds and it was what made me buy 7 but I just can't be bothered for some reason. Does it get good?

pls reply

Cool, I'll go back to play then.

>pls reply
No

VII is just VI but actually good. It's very long though, about 100 hours for just the main story, so be aware of that.

Almost every japanese DQ ranking site put 11 above 8.

thank you friend. I'll stick with it

It's really slow paced. Lots of backtracking too. It takes like 15 hours to unlock the job system, which is ridiculous.

There is no such thing as a bad DQ game (except maybe 2 due the grind required at the end of it and 10 doesn't count since it's an MMO.) There's only great and less-great DQ games.

I think of VII like a looong ass shonen adventure series like the original Dragon Ball or One Piece or something. When you're watching, say, episode 46 of Dragon Ball, you're not worried about how many more episodes there are to watch and how long the series is, you're just enjoying whatever adventure Goku is on in the moment.

Ha, I had no idea, that's weird but I kind of like it.

7 is not recommended unless you already have 4-5 DQ games under your belt

The Japanese are retarded idiots who put whatever is newest on a pedestal. They voted Persona 5 and Neir Automata as some of the bets games ever made only months after they released, they eat up shit even more then american normalfags.

They're all bad. Just play Final Fantasy instead.

5, 8, and 9 are pretty easy to get into and they're my personal favorites. Just pick the art style you prefer at that point.

>Just play the worst series
???

>Just pick the art style you prefer at that point
Ah yes, the very diverse and always changing artsyle of DQ.

he probably meant character design

lol who are you to judge the jap DQ fans

V, VIII, XI

5 is 2D, 8 is 3D proportionate characters, and 9 is 3D chibi.

Someone with taste.

Most of Japan is made up of normalfags, just like everywhere else. It's not like the majority there has actually good taste.

That's not artstyle, that just is the game's graphics.

I am one of the people that started playing DQ3 because of smash and here are my sincere thoughts about it:

I definitely don't think the game is any bad, it's actually a decent old snes rpg. But it is also boring, very boring with the extremely simple and straight combat and to make things worse, each encounter you fight 10 monsters at once and random battles appear in each 10 steps you give. I understand that this way you can get more exp and money without needing to engage into battles all the time like pokemon to grind but it still feels slow.

If you ask me what I liked the most so far about it is how the game doesn't feel so "linear" at all despite npcs being straight about what you need to do or where you need to go, you still have different places to check all at once available and some of them can have things I wasn't expecting.

It makes me think that in comparison to other classic jrpgs like pokemon and EB that came after, they offered something else, pokemon combat is just as simple and pissy easy but I think the game got the advantage of having a completely unknown setting (while DQ have medieval tropes we are used to see and know and they werent even the ones to create them) and monster collecting, while Earthbound also have a unique setting that isn't predictable in the slighest so playing it feels like a ride.

Its cool DQ is just not for you

Here you go.
github.com/barronwaffles/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki

But I am not hating it despite my comment about the combat. The game isn't worth for its exploration?

It’s incredible if you can get into it.

Visit /vr/ sometime, you'll see people unironically insisting that NES versions of 1-4 are the better ones.

I enjoy the combat even if it is simplistic as fuck I cant really defend it or anything though you either get it and are fine with it or you see it as shallow and a waste of time
If you are enjoying yourself despite not liking the combat thats great, I just actually really like it but Im a fanboy what do I know

If you dislike combat right now, you're gonna be shitting brimstone when you encounter guys that have breath attacks or do thwacks. The combat system is the core of the game, if you don't like it there's no reason to play. It's like playing doom while disliking first person shooting.

People hated it because of the glitch, which I forgot what it does (corrupt the save file, I think).

NES at least has better sprite and resolution. But fucking GBC?

Graphics are a part of the art style of the game. Also, if you look at the box arts, the illustrations look different (except for the toriyama samefaces).

XI, V and III are regarded as the best by many jps hardcore fans. It's not about normalfags.

Dragon Warrior 1+2 and 3 on GBC were the first (non-pokemon) rpgs I'd ever played, so the GBC is very nostalgic for me.

Attached: Battle against Hargon.jpg (1000x730, 655K)