What JRPGs are you playing right now?

what JRPGs are you playing right now?

I could have another go at TLR now that the remaster is out

Attached: jrpg.jpg (1722x904, 482K)

final fantasy 4 advance on my phone

also forgot that tomorrow it's four job Fiesta time. Gonna do random run this year.

Attached: ff5.jpg (450x590, 196K)

Thinking of finally starting DQVII.

Currently downloading TLR on switch. I fully expect to make mistakes and restart, but it's all good.

>and restart,

Its for the best, really.

Is Romancing SaGa 2 any good? It's on sale on the eshop right now for the Switch.

That's the spirit.

Yeah, it's pretty good, but there's noticeable input delay and it's a mobile port with some weird UI choices. Still worth the asking price.

Its a great game but be warned, the Switch version has a high likelihood of having input lag.

It's one of the best and most ambitious JRPGs ever made, you'll be surprised it was made in 1993, though you can say the same for the rest of the series really, RS2 is arguably one of the peaks though.

Attached: Honest swordsman of superb asswrecking.jpg (787x800, 179K)

Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS. I'm playing them all in order and learning Japanese so I'll be ready when I start part 10

Attached: images.jpg (190x265, 16K)

How's it stack up against the PS1 game?

I very recently picked up Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories, Legend of Dragoon, and Breath of Fire 3. I don't know where to start.

VP2>BOF3>LoD>RS
Start with Valkyrie Profile 1 if possible, then move onto 2. BOF3's fantastic as well, but I personally prefer 4.

I need to pick up where I left off from DQ8, after getting sidetracked by EO Nexus. Either that or try out Persona Q2.

Going to get on Ni No Kuni 2 and maybe some other rpg/jrpg on steam sale. I'm guessing the DLCs aren't worth it at all?

Frontier?
It lacks combos and the racial mechanics from the old GB games, but it's on a whole other level outside of those, it's also a very different game for most things.
Frontier 2's generational gameplay was a thowback to RS2's own generational gameplay, though it worked rather differently too.

You'll see either way, it's a fantastic game.

I've had a lot of trouble get into JRPG's as an adult. I always drop them after 5-10 hours. Tell me what to play next. I generally attach to something with a more active battle system like mario & luigi or ff6 than strictly turn based. I have available to me:
>Wild Arms 1-5 (never played any)
>Super Robot Wars 1,2, and DS
>Legend of Legacy
>Alliance Allice
>7th Dragon III
>Randiant Historia (3DS)
>DQ 4-6 (I've played 3 and slime/monsters)

forgot to mention I also have
>Breath of Fire 1&2 (gba)
>Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2

Is the Lenneth version of VP1 good? I have it physically but my PSP is dead - might emulate since I hear PSP emulation is really good.

Given your taste Valkyrie Profile is your best bet.

You might like Radiant Historia. It has a turn based battle system, but you can push units around and stack them together. There's an interesting time-based gameplay mechanic that helps it feel fresh compared to other JRPGs.
Also check out Valkyrie Profile. Those two will be your best bets probably.

>more active battle system
>ff6

Unless you REALLY got a kick out of Sabin's blitz attacks, I don't see how VI can be considered "more active".

Attached: amc_0146.jpg (706x521, 106K)

I'm really enjoying The Last Remnant for the first time right now on switch. I would rather have the towns be menu-based and the dungeons themselves are serviceable at best so far, but the battle system more than makes up for it.

Yeah it's a good way to play. There are some minor annoyances like shit like unequipping skills when changing equipment, but it has a better translation, better FMVs and is generally an upgrade in most areas.

Playing through SMTIV and Strange Journey rn. Also replaying Phantasy Star Zero

>Frontier 2's generational gameplay was a thowback to RS2's own generational gameplay, though it worked rather differently too.
I was just planning on playing through the Frontier games. If 2 does its own version of what RS2 did, that might be good enough for me.

I'd say WA2 since that's one of my all time favorites, but that's as standard turn based as it gets.

I've heard that PSP VP1 is based on the original japanese release and doesn't have some of the fixes found in the original PS1 American release. Maybe check the differences out before jumping in.

don't 4-9 literally use an "active battle system"

I'm playing the lost child and Mercenary chronicles. Two mediocre games that could have been great with some polish.

Putting the word "active" somewhere doesn't necessarily make it so. ATB was always just a timer for decision-making more than anything.

>I would rather have the towns be menu-based
Unusual taste, guess you'd like Unlimited and Scarlet then.
>the dungeons themselves are serviceable at best so far
>the dungeons themselves are serviceable at best so far
They get better the more you progress, you should also be aware that places like the Gaslin caves get more zones if you do sidequests.
All in all there's not many great dungeons if you like complex layouts, but there's some pretty good ones like Flaumello Tower or Siebenbur ,as tiring as it becomes.
Frontier 2 is a pretty unique game even in the series' own context, the generation gimmick is also pretty different from RS2.
It's a good game though, but expect it to play very differently from the rest of the series, it was a transition game from the more "gamey" standard of the Romancing formula to the more tabletop standard that Unlimited fully introduced.

I can't believe Etna is fucking dead

Cool, thanks.

How do you guys deal with coming back to a JRPG after like 3 months of not playing it? I always feel the urge to restart, since I don't really remember what was happening, but I'm also like 20 hours in, so it would be annoying. Tales of Vesperia is rly good tho.

XBC2, which was really unappealing at first. After a few hours, though, the characters really won me over and the battle system really opened up. English dub is all over the place, a big step down from XBC, but Nia is great.

If the game has a journal with a "story so far" section I'll usually just try and push forward. Usually that's enough to vaguely remember what I was last doing. If it's been so long I don't even remember the characters or battle mechanics I'll just start fresh.

I'm thinking of starting up Pokemon Emerald for the first time.

I've had this problem a lot for years due to work but I usually just find a youtube walkthrough and skim cutscenes/gameplay before where I stopped and it all just clicks again and jump-starts my memory.

Same thing happens to me with games like Yakuza.

>How do you guys deal with coming back to a JRPG after like 3 months of not playing it?
An awkward transition phase of reacquainting myself with all the mechanics, the equipment I was using and the sidequests I was juggling. Mostly, I just don't put rpgs down for that long. I can only remember doing it once or twice in recent memory.

Wrong answer.
If you put down a JRPG, you didn't really care for it to begin with.

Some of us work for a living, bud. A lot.

>you didn't really care for it to begin with.
>Mostly, I just don't put rpgs down for that long
Yeah, and? It happened twice because I got busy and the games weren't enthralling enough to keep me invested.

Xeno's Xenos

Attached: SpryBlackandwhiteKakarikis-size_restricted.gif (336x252, 3.33M)

well you gotta be in the right mind to play. I quickly stopped playing Etrian 1/2 when I first tried them years ago, now I cleared their sixth stratums.

How is ys vii on the switch? I heard the visuals were buggy

I do too, usually 10 hour days 5 days a week plus weekends. But I made time for NieR and KH3. Games I cared about.

Don't you guys have social lives?

Usually one day a week, but coworkers meet at least once per month outside of work.

Dragon quest 11

Attached: b95.png (900x676, 410K)

Dungeon-crawlers like EO allow for some wiggle room since exploration is more important than narrative.

Thanks, those were pretty high on my list anyway. I'll try one of them out next

I'm assuming I should play Wild Arms 1 first for story reasons?

I'm going to need to requisition your folder of Chernobyl reaction image. Around 750,000 of them.

Unless you work double shifts every single day, you should have at least a couple hours of free time a night. Generally adults don't have time to go hang out with their friends every night, and the time most people spend at home watching TV is time we spend playing video games.

WA1 has a single plot point that ties into WA2, and even then it's just kind of a reference that you'd only know from reading supplementary material. The stories are unrelated. Also, fi you're going to play WA1 then play the PS remake.

Wild Arms shows its age. There are lots of seemingly pointless flags for progressing the story (interacting with random NPCs, inspecting objects etc). You'll often hit sections where you don't know how to progress, and eventually the story flag will trip and things will start rolling again. It's a pretty good game but I recommend a guide just to minimise wasted time.

Finishing Zodiac Age FF12 (first tume playing) and then getting into Caligula Effect Overdose. And replaying #FE on the side when I get a psrsona withdrawal syndrome.

I just finished Makai Toushi SaGa and just started DQ9. I'll probably start SaGa 2 Hiho Densetsu soon too.

Thanks, I had a similar issue with trying to progress in Brave Fencer Musashi. i thought playing with a guide would ruin it but I still loved it in the end

FF12. I'm really enjoying it but saying I'm "playing" it is a bit of a stretch. I'm just moving the characters around and the game does all the fighting for me. Even the bosses.

>using Gambit on the character you're controlling
Pleb.

Playing FF7 for the first time. Played all the prior games (excepting 2) in release order beforhand. 4 and 5 are my favorites so far, but I'm not really far in FF7 yet.
Thinking of playing the DQ too, as I had played 1 a year ago on my phone, I'd like to play 3 before 4 to 6 (I can play them on my DS) but I don't know on which platform I should play it as my phone seems to have trouble to run 2 and 3.

Attached: FFT.jpg (425x634, 54K)

Don't know which one to start with. I recently added a lot of game to my 3DS, including some RPGs.
>Dragon Quest VII (never played the series before)
>The World Ends With You
>Chrono Trigger DS (never played CT before)
Any other DS/3DS RPGs I should add to my list? Not really an RPG guy, but I've been in a mood to play some.

Bravely default
Try the Etrian odyssey series if yo want to try a JRPG that's also a dungeon crawler with a refreshing difficulty.

I'm fine with any xeno game. I even liked saga as much as people shit on it.

Attached: image.gif (350x205, 3.06M)

Persona Q2

Half of the way through everyone's final chapters in Octopath, fun game. Then I'll probably go back and finish Xenoblade 2 finally.

Based

Attached: 193322.jpg (500x707, 71K)

none right now, but i just finished pic related a few days ago. i actually enjoyed it a lot despite the flaws and i'm eagerly awaiting part 3 this fall.
>positives
unlike the first game, which was very slow for most of the playtime, this one was fast-paced and action-packed from the beginning. the first few hours felt like a boss rush.
you get to use sara and angelica in combat a lot more than the first game, plus the other best girl sharon is also playable.
once the game's world opens up, you can actually revisit locations whenever you aren't in the middle of a plot beat, which cuts down on the number of permanent missables.
duvalie comes back and we're introduced to based mcburn, whose backstory opens up some interesting possibilities for the world of kiseki.
>negatives
rean is WAY more insufferable than he already was in the first game. he becomes less of a character and more of a walking gimmick who gives inspirational speeches every five minutes. his character development actually goes BACKWARDS in the final hours of the game, as he starts sperging out like a manchild.
the cast's treatment of crow is unbelievable to the point of breaking immersion. if he had his way, they all would have died in the first game, but they spend all game begging him to come back and join their side again. nobody asks the obvious question: "he's already betrayed us once, how can we trust him not to betray us again?"
if you hate the trope of winning a boss fight in gameplay and losing it in a cutscene, this game will infuriate you. the "losing was part of my plan," "i was just holding back," "this isn't even my final form" shonen tropes are ratcheted up to 11 in this game. you're constantly getting bailed out by the adults in cutscenes.

Attached: coldsteel2.jpg (1024x1024, 318K)

I hated this disphit.

"Oh, golly jee whiz! I forgot to ask Shion out again! Oh, man!"

CT is one of the best rpgs ever.

When does it start? The website says June 17th, but the countdown says 3 days 10.5 hours, is the countdown just off by a day?

CS2 is where Trails' character writing REALLY goes to shit and doesn't improve for the rest of the series. Don't let all the good aspects of CS3's new additions fool you. You'll be even more disappointed by CS4 if you do.

Attached: 007.png (1221x1743, 2.96M)

He won the Shionbowl though

Attached: 20208431_p16.gif (600x900, 55K)

Definitely download Rocket Slime for DS. If the EVER finish fan translating the one for 3DS download that too

It gets worse? And I found CS1 too flawed to finish. Guess I'll skip the rest of the series, thanks. I was debating forcing myself through CS1 again to get to the sequels but there's obviously no point.

i honestly liked most of the characters, though, or at least didn't mind them. it's just rean, alisa and laura who bother me, and i didn't like them in the first game either.

The first five Trails games are still worth playing, but CS is where things get dicey and I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping the series at that point. The saddest thing is that CS3 did its best to straighten out the Erebonia arc while not totally distancing itself from CS's target appeal and demographic. But then CS4 came out and that game is like CS2 on steroids, with all the flaws and nuisances the former had made even more egregious. The bottom line is that the Cold Steel arc is a mess.

Attached: 007.jpg (1414x2000, 862K)

I've already played TITS 1-3. I was mainly referring to the CS subseries.

Damn, the Trails series has an interesting history. It's tied up with Dragon Slayer and Xanadu all the way back to the mid 80s. I assumed it starts with sky and CS was the second arc.

Play Zero and Ao, then. The Crossbell duology is the peak of the series in a lot of respects.

Oh yeah, Legend of Heroes goes way back. The first two games are really generic DQ clones, but the Gagharv trilogy (3-5) is where the series really set itself apart. Unfortunately, the PSP remakes we got of those games in the west are dogshit.

Attached: Dragon Slayer - The Legend of Heroes [U][SCD][TGXCD1029][Falcom][1992][PCE][thx-1138-darkwater]-0127 (864x696, 296K)

What's the best way to play the earlier games in english? I want to give them a shot.

Finishing up my FFVII replay then might go try Octopath. Or might finally replay the Sky trilogy with the Evo voice overs.

Nier Automata on PC

bought it 3 days ago, finished nearly all endings already, haven't finished it at 100% though
but im so bored today, maybe i played it too much?

still 2B best gurl / 9S best boi

Attached: stretched-1920-1080-828899.png (1920x1080, 2.58M)

There's really not much of a choice in the matter. Only the TG16-CD version of LoH1 and the PSP remakes of the Gagharv games exist in English. LoH2 never got localized. Like I mentioned before, LoH1 is a very standard late 80s JRPG and the PSP versions of the Gagharv games suck. If you want a good example of the latter's faults, look at this pic and realize that this is an official localization.

Attached: ULUS10022_00542.jpg (1920x997, 413K)

Was trying to play through emulated PS2 version of DQV. I have that problem someone mentioned earlier of dropping it for too long a period of time and then just wanting to start over. Just too much stuff to do and too many games to play.

Also what's TLR?

What's the deal with this Trials of Mana remake? I've almost never heard of the series before. Should I just play Secrets of Mana before it or anything else?

The Last Remnant. It basically plays like a spin-off of the SaGa series with some minor differences.

Once I dropped SMT 3 in the half way point for more than I year and when I picked it up again I beated it in a week, no sweat.
It's more of a mindset you need to be in than anything

Mario & Luigi Partners in time

Romancing SaGa 2

Continuing from previous thread... Just went to ants Queen. I have no chance against jer.

Trials of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 3, which was never released before in the western world.
The name for the western release is completely new so it's not too strange that you never heard of it before.

It's the successor to Secret of Mana, aka Seiken Densetsu 2, but it's not a sequel. Lore and world-building are generally operating off of a set of shared principles, but stories are disconnected. You don't need to play one before the other.

Where do you think you are?

>what JRPGs are you playing right now?

Fairy Fencer F : ADF - finally picked it back up and am working through its alternate routes. (So much grind...)

Stun, blind, its all in the mind.

Bumping my question. What's the best way to play DQ3? Can I skip it? I have 4-5-6 on DS, 7 and 8 on 3DS, and beaten DQ1.

Final Fantasy Adventure and Sword of Mana. At the same time.

1-3 are a trilogy. 4-6 are the same. 7 onwards are all standalone. Just play 4 and come back to 3 after you've played 1+2.

Give me your best PS2 jrpgs

Attached: 1546734147778.jpg (707x707, 100K)

Played 1 on phone, it was fun, but as my phone can't really play 2 and 3, I wanted to drop them to play directly 4,5,6.
Do I really miss something by not playing 2 and 3?

Tales of Vesperia HD. It's been a week since last i played it, thanks to wageslaving and university. I wanna die.

Valkyrie Profile 2
BoF Dragon Quarter
Unlimited Saga

Nah you're fine. 4 is fantastic, just skip 3 for now.

>BoF Dragon Quarter
that's a roguelike

Suikoden 3

TLR is a spinoff in name only, don't really know why they keep up the farce, it's a SaGa game in anything but the lack of lightbulbs.
Learn to use and abuse status effect, don't think for a second you can turn bosses into a battle of attrition, especially in RS2, you're gonna get raped easily.
Also, learn how to use your formations and invest in magic, I can't stress this enough, magic makes up for 50% of any battle.

I think I will come back later when stronger. Fucking great game.

>Unlimited Saga

Now you are just taking the piss.

Are any of the main SaGa games as graphically complex as TLR? I always think of the SaGa series as SNES/PS1, I'm clueless about later stuff.

Minstrel Song is pretty good on the graphical side, if you don't mind everyone looking like halflings. But the series for the most part had been simmering since TLR, with Scarlet Grace being the latest entry. Everything else between TLR and SC have remasters or remakes.

Dark Cloud 2

How do you raise max MP in RS2? Randomly after battles?

Just keep using magic and most stats tied to it will raise accordingly.

Recommend me a good JRPG to play, preferably pre-ps2 era. I was thinking Breath of Fire IV

How about Breath of Fire IV?

timezones maybe
I got the day wrong myself, thought it would be Sunday but for me it's Tuesday morning.

Ok. Thx.
Well, I know you need 1mil gold and 25 MP on main character to be have the option to research magic. He is at 19 lol.

playing xenogears, in solaris right now. very solid game that feels like a passion project but the dungeon design is perfect hit or miss. I think the resolution of the plot will determine where I rate this game, I'm expecting it to be Chrono Cross levels of bad but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

CS2 was a really big disappointment for me.
The whole civil war setting and you being the 3rd side was total bullshit - you always fought the nobles and used the imperial army facilities.
Doesn't help that you are reminded constantly that a better story is taking place in Crossbell.

Attached: mewhileplatingcs2.jpg (1920x1080, 485K)

>Are any of the main SaGa games as graphically complex as TLR?
As in good looking on the 3D side?
No, outside of maybe Minstrel Song, most of the games in the series are 2D too, TLR is the only truly good looking 3D game in the series, the rest is a hit or miss, with good looking models and/or animations but so so everything else.
The 2D games are pretty great though, especially RS3, Frontier 2 and Unlimited, all of which are some of the very best of their respective platforms.
Your WP/JP pools increase by 3 for every proficiency level you have, this is unique to RS2 though, all other games work differently

Attached: Phantom_TripleZeroCombo.webm (600x450, 2.58M)

Not really JRPG but still: What version of FF Tactics do I play?

Fair enough, thanks. It's impressive that TLR still looks pretty good when it's over 10 years old- arguably better than stuff like Xenoblade 2. I hope these remasters are enough to fund a full new entry.

WOTL with the animation speed fix. Original WOTL has a framerate issue with certain spells, but it's really easy to patch out.

The original.

Fuck's up w the logo not being centered, did you take this from some journo or JRPG forum and edited out some words??