GOG Galaxy 2.0 vs Steam Library update

Why are you retards hyped for ugly Steam's library update when this is coming? Steam is inferior in pretty much every way and muh controller support is not as important as actually owning your games instead of being a DRMcuck and actually owning your games.

>German games magazine Gamestar, Microsoft allows an official integration into Galaxy 2.0. This means, that for example PC Game pass games can be installed, started and deleted with the GOG client. And we will probably see coss-platform chat with Xbox.

>One library
Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection.

>Game stats
Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned, combined across platforms.

>Game launcher
Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.

>Full customization
Create custom library views by filtering, sorting, tagging and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds and covers.

>Games discovery SOON
Follow upcoming releases, and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.

>Cross-platform chat SOON
No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.

>One friends list SOON
Bring together your friends from all platforms, and see their online status.

>No spying
We’re not spying on data from your computer.

>No data sharing
We’ll never share your personal data with third parties.

>Your data belongs to you
With a single click, you can remove your imported data from our servers.

Attached: gog galaxy 2dot0 4.jpg (1534x993, 447K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/Why are you retards hyped for ugly /
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use both though.

So does everybody, now you will only need to use Steam to buy shit.

Why would I want a launcher launcher? All those benefits are moot because for most of the games you still have to use other launchers. Unless you only play old games, in which case you might as well not use a launcher at all).

>GOG

Only retards use steam

>controller support is not as important as actually owning your games instead of being a DRMcuck
Excuse me? How do you "own" your GOG games? Can you sell them? No?

Imagine giving a shit about how your clients look
I bet you also care about box covers

>we don't share data
>we don't spy on you
OK lemme look at the source code to verify this myself....

But does it work on Linux?

>OK lemme look at the source code to verify this myself

Okay. Here you go user
>Community platform integrations
>Connect more platforms and add new features with open-source integrations.

>not as important as actually owning your games
actually owning your games
>owning games
yeah, you never read the terms of service of any game ever

If Steam were to shut down, you'd be shit out of luck for every Steamworks title on their service that uses Steamworks DRM (almost all of them)

If GOG were to shut down, you'd be able to play every single game you have on your system. That's the difference between the two. It's your responsibility to maintain backups.

lmao why make it a competition?

Microsoft is flexing and after partnering up with both GOG and Steam, I wouldn't be surprised if in the coming month Phil makes GOG and Steam kiss too.
Based Microsoft.

Neither of those are the source code for GOG galaxy

It's not a competition. That's the point of removing the barriers and letting people use the launcher for the service they want. I'm just saying that Steam's overhaul is shit and ugly

Attached: steam library update.jpg (2047x1122, 331K)

Imagine being so paranoid and thinking that Steam will ever shut down in the next 10 or so years

What the fuck then just say so in the OP you fuckwit.

Imagine being so delusional that you don't think a private corporation can and will shut down at a moment's notice. I'd much rather just buy the same software on GOG given the opportunity and maintain my own backups instead of believing the (((publishers))) will allow access to defunct titles

Remember Vivendi, Interplay and 3DFX?

>launcher integrates with other launchers
>CDPR plays nice with the other platform holders and they're providing official integration on their end
>dumb user thinks it's a competition
clearly it isn't and I shouldn't have to say so in the OP because idiot retards like you can't handle a little discussion about two launchers without turning it into platform wars bullshit

All my games are on steam, why would I support some Polack

Because the client isn't ugly and laggy as shit.

>controller support is not important
Okay retard.

Attached: 1559950174508.jpg (297x539, 31K)

i bet you use a ps4 controller and need steam to use it you turbonigger

Almost unrelated, but I realized why the PC pass is so cheap right now. There's barely any games worth a shit, you can't add them as game profiles for your graphics settings panels (AMD radeon settings for instance) because they're encrypted, you can't mod em, you can't even use saves from other platforms or back them up on your hard drive, and you're stuck with a gamertag you might have created ages ago unless you pay 10 bucks to change it. It's almost console tier experience with ingame setttings appropriate for PC.

Imagine being such a bitch about being able to play with a different controller

>Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection.
You keep making this thread, but not once have you explained why that's useful. If you "import" your games into GOG, but still need to run the original platform to play the game, what the fuck is the point of "importing" it? You'll still need to launch Steam to play a Steam game, because there's no way Valve will allow CDP to bypass their DRM, and it's not like GOG Galaxy 2.0 will come with a perfect emulator for every console ever made, so why would you bother "importing" a console game into GOG?

Nobody is hyped you fucking nigger. Baitposters like you are literally the only faggots that can't shut up about it.

Does it launch the steam overlay if i load a steam game from therE?

Launching a Steam game from GOG Galaxy 2.0 will almost certainly just consist of GOG Galaxy 2.0 executing the "steam://rungameid/######" URL, the same one used by the desktop shortcuts created by Steam. So you'll still need Steam running, and yes, you'll still get the Steam overlay.

>a list of things i'll never use because i play video games by just clicking a shortcut and never look at the client

>Why would I want a launcher launcher?
I can understand this argument when it's made against something like Playnite, which mostly is just a front-end for various launchers. But many people already have GOG Galaxy, installed because it's the native (albeit optional) launcher for GOG games, so they won't be adding another "launcher launcher" when GOG Galaxy updates to 2.0; their existing GOG launcher will just gain additional capabilities.

If you don't already have GOG Galaxy then of course you're not going to give a shit about this.

You can seed them ;)

Its really not that hard to run steam once, crack your games, and just launch the exe files from galaxy.

>Buying games you can easily pirate thanks to GOG's own policy

Why would anyone do that?

Attached: 1547835456075.gif (270x165, 19K)

Why would anybody buy games from Steam than if you can pirate them too?

>But many people already have GOG Galaxy
yeah and once i download and install the game(s) i want i never open it again

You are why stadia is a thing

> steam being killed by thousand cuts

Attached: 1560595554930.png (500x425, 54K)

>amd
ohhhnonononooo

Because I support good practice and I understand that if I want another good game from a dev I kinda have to give them money.

Because shit like multiplayer and workshop that you can't pirate so easily.

You dont even have to install galaxy to install gog games.

>Excuse me?
You're excused.
>How do you "own" your GOG games?
I can install them whenever I want, as many times as I want, and won't lose them when some corporate businessman decides that it's time to turn off a DRM server.
>Can you sell them? No?
Why would I want to sell them?

Then it doesn't matter where you buy it from, does it? Even if you were worried about DRM and Steam somehow dying, you could easily pirate the GOG version whenever.

Literally no point in buying GoG ever when it simply has less features.

YIKES! We got a school shooter candidate excited over DRM UI here. Need me to proof read your manifesto, kid?
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/Why are you retards hyped for ugly /

Attached: 1334548575039.jpg (720x540, 115K)

I said that I support good practice. So I'd rather buy from the place that doesn't have DRM. And I don't really need certain features, I simply need to play the game. It would be different if, say, the game has an online mode and GoG and Steam players are split.

Imagine shilling for corporations.

Holy shit. Mental illness.

Why would you pirate the gog version if it has less features?

If you don't want to open GOG Galaxy ever again after installing your game, then you shouldn't have installed your game through GOG Galaxy. You can download GOG games directly from the web site. GOG Galaxy is obviously for people who want the convenience of a launcher, including features such as the friends list, achievements, and cloud saves. If you don't care about these things then you should never download GOG Galaxy. But if you're not completely autistic then you should also realize that other people have their own personal preferences.

I wouldn't. I'm just saying it's there if you ever need it in the remote, practically impossible chance that Steam dies before GoG.

true, but its more convenient. one click to download and install versus downloading 5 bin files and a another file to combine and install them.

This is your brain on retarded contrarianism
Bet you think you're really funny and smart writing stupid shit for (you)s

>Import all your games from PC and consoles, build and organize them into one master collection.
in steam you can add non steam games and it does pretty much the same thing since you still need the launcher for the games you "import" to work
>Keep track of all your achievements, hours played and games owned, combined across platforms.
wow steam never had any of these
i guess it's nice they combine stats across different platforms though?
>Install and launch any PC game you own, no matter the platform.
you can do that without galaxy though...?
only difference is that galaxy will serve as another layer on top of the game's drm if it has one
>Create custom library views by filtering, sorting, tagging and adding your own visuals like game backgrounds and covers.
again, steam had most of this already except the custom backgrounds covers, but technically you can do custom backgrounds on steam with screenshots
>Follow upcoming releases, and discover games popular among your friends and the gaming community.
steam has this
>No matter on which platform your friends are, you can chat with them.
>Bring together your friends from all platforms, and see their online status.
that's cool i guess
>We’re not spying on data from your computer.
>We’ll never share your personal data with third parties.
>With a single click, you can remove your imported data from our servers.
very suspicious that they even had to disclose this info...

tl;dr galaxy 2.0 is nothing special
also the steam redesign sucks ass
why does anyone even care about galaxy? the whole point of gog is that they're offering drm free games, just buy your games there and download them from their site

Well this is Yea Forums - video games
And you know who makes most of the video games?

???

I'm literally stating facts. What's contrarian about that?

Re: the current gog summer sale, should I buy pathfinder kingmaker imperial edition???

wow op I am cringing for you

Damn. Please don't shoot up a church, OP. DRM is not that big of a deal, please stop.

The worst part is that you don't even need to go to a third-party site like fireden to see this. He didn't even wait for his previous threads to disappear from the archive.

Threads being spammed like this is actually a common problem on Yea Forums. I'm sure many of us know about this guy who can't control his autism every time Epic puts up a new free game:

Maybe it's too much to ask for the janitors and moderators to recognize repeat threads so that they can delete them and ban the people who make them. And if any automated system were put in place to prevent this, it would be circumvented just by slightly changing the text each time. But I wish something could be done to stop it.

>you'd be shit out of luck for every Steamworks title on their service that uses Steamworks DRM
Even if Valve wouldn't patch it out in case of shutdown, it'd still be as easy as it is now: just replace a single steam_api.dll file with the cracked one.

I can already launch my games through Steam, including GoG games which I try and buy when I can, which still don't have DRM if I launch them through GoG.

Steam Workshop and universal controller configuration are literally the only valuable things a launcher has ever provided.

Attached: 1555283822503.png (244x192, 14K)

>which still don't have DRM if I launch them through *Steam*.

>Even if Valve wouldn't patch it out in case of shutdown
They wouldn't. As far as I can tell, the idea that Valve would remove Steam DRM from all Steam games in the event of bankruptcy is wishful thinking. Last time someone claimed to have an official source for this claim, it was just a link to some Steam forum post where some nobody was making the same claim without proof.

The reality is that it makes no sense. It's not even that I doubt Valve's good intentions; I just don't think they would be able to do it. Many developers and publishers put their games on Steam with the understanding and expectation that their games would be protected by Steam DRM. They wouldn't like Steam to remove that DRM without permission, and there's no way that Steam will be able to get permission from everyone, unless such permission is already obtained as a condition of selling one's game on Steam, which is unlikely because I've never heard anything about that.

The other logistical problem with doing this effectively is that Steam's download servers and DRM servers would both go offline. If Valve announced that they were going out of business in one week, and that all Steam games were suddenly DRM-free for the last week of Steam's existence, there would be a mad rush to download everything. Steam has had a history of server problems during major sales, so everyone trying to download all of their games at once, while Valve is already having trouble paying the bills, would take Steam offline within minutes.

Steam is unlikely to disappear completely in the near future, because even if Valve went out of business then ownership of Steam would probably be transferred to some other company, so I'm not trying to tell you that you're in imminent danger of losing all your games. However, I think Steam users need to face the fact that Valve will not be disabling Steam DRM in case of a shutdown, and even if they did, you probably wouldn't get a chance to back up your games anyway.

Attached: consider.jpg (569x428, 25K)

Ok I'm sold but where the fuck is it? I signed up for the beta, now give me access

I think the appeal of GOG Galaxy 2.0 is that it would automatically import all of the games from your other libraries, whether they're installed or not, just like Playnite does. Manually adding individual non-Steam games to Steam, after installing them, is not the same thing. I'm not saying you should give a shit, but you should at least know what you're complaining about.

>We
At least you admit that you are a shill.

What about gamersgate?

Attached: Uten navn.jpg (432x1599, 140K)

Some of those are steam keys while the rest are DRM free installers.

Gamersgate sells a lot of bad FPS games DRM free.

wouldn't open source make it prone to exploits?
just use the network activity + process monitor

bcs not evryone is a poor groid that cant put selective pressures on the market.
once you have money you will also get the desire to not pay for shit games but pay for good games bcs you want more of those.

>only pirating DRM-free games
People like you are the reason that DRM exists. Fuck you.

ayy

Hey, real quick:

I have a level 0 steam account and a bunch of old shitty keys that I want to activate on the account to level it up a bit.
My steam account is still "limited" because I havent been spending any real money on it yet (want to wait for the summer sale).

If I redeem these keys on the account now, will the XP from the keys inevitably be "lost", because the account can not go above level 0?
Or will I get the XP from those keys later?

Would appreciate if somebody could help me out here.
Thanks!

Attached: eD3UIhf.jpg (1998x2993, 969K)

>German games magazine Gamestar, Microsoft allows an official integration into Galaxy 2.0.
Nani the fuck?