youtube.com/watch?v=TcRHTFKBvv0
romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14879.0
youtu.be/ia9uOLIzoow
youtube.com/watch?v=ODp7M-TVQYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=zsybX2AdCw0
youtube.com/watch?v=M5yO_sev4UA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

But I'm playing I.

I hate interchangeable classes and I hate DQIX.

But I did twice.

Attached: 999a35aeff0d8011661b31174925fff2f33479e2.jpg (600x900, 113K)

I'm going to play all of the Dragon Quest games eventually.

Which version should i play?

I will after I finish reading this for the second time

Attached: DainoDaibouken.jpg (304x350, 29K)

i have never played dragon quest
should i start with this one?

Start with III if you like more classic jrpgs. V for a more modern but 2D one or VIII for 3D.

OwO okay. Thank you

I did and it's my favorite DQ game and I cannot recommend it enough.

I did.

SNES

What personality did it give you guys. I got Vain

Let me guess, spic?

SNES: Best graphics + animations. Issues with translation patch so it'd be a good idea to read up on that first.

GBC: Definitive in that it has the most content. Keeps animations but lacks backgrounds. Most content doesn't necessarily mean good.

Mobile: SNES but without the animations or other little extras found in the above version. Think the NES version but with many fixes from the SNES and GBC ports.

SFC.

>start playing DQ3
>almost right off the bat is grinding
Yikes

Dragon Warrior 1 is still my favorite

>classic dq
V > IV > III > I >> II = VI
>modern
VIII > XI > VII (all goods btw)

No, person with taste

Hero: Sexy
Warrior: Macho
Priest: Kindly
Mage: Sharp

I assume not the NES one because I only played that and liked it but it's pretty rough.

>tfw like the aesthetic of this series but could never get into it

5-7 hours in and I don't even want to play anymore.

I've been playing it on Android for about a month.

Attached: nui.jpg (225x350, 33K)

The NES version is great.

>just get to stomp every enemy as Hero
Was pretty kino to be honest.

People keep saying this but which translation patch causes issues?

I got into this saga recently and decided to skip roto trilogy bcs it looks awful next to IV, V and VI on DS.
Change my mind.

3's still one of the best games in the franchise and you can beat 1 and 2 in a day.

why is Pop so based holy shit

I keep telling my friends that want to get into DQ to play I.It's such a short and personal journey.I love going mano a mano with all the enemies.The feeling of gradually getting stronger is so awesome.
III is just plain fun.I've gone through the gbc version numerous times and finally got a chance to play the sfc version and those graphics and animations are too good.I prefer the GBC version for the content but the sfc version is just so A E S T H E T I C.

>being a graphicsfag

Attached: UH OH.png (680x508, 70K)

Not sure of that, sorry. I'm actually one of those idiots who prefers the GBC version of the game.

I was but my saved data died with my old phone. I'll revisit it one day since GBC games are really easy to play with one hand at the register.

What issues are there? I was seconds from playing the NES version.

youtube.com/watch?v=78Fu4w33ipc

based

I just did, I beat God Dragon for the first time (managed to do it under 25 too) and also did no orb Zoma without any class changes bar one sage.

Is there a definitive or "best" version to play?

As a jrpg fan I decided to give it a try and I unironically almost fell asleep even though you could say I am at the beginning still (I am near level 15) Does it really get better or it is just not for me.

Nah. I already burned out playing Final Fantasy, and this stuff is more of the same.

Attached: 1490753713813.png (797x597, 867K)

Attached: make me.jpg (209x200, 11K)

Is that FE Echoes or am I retarded? How is what you're playing either way?

As I had mentioned with an earlier user, I'm not sure which version has the issues but two that come off the top of my head was there was an NPC in Portoga that would freeze the game. The other was something related to save game problems if the hero isn't in the first slot. For all I know, these are different versions and I'm not up to date on if there was a new translation.

After playing DQ1, DQ3 felt like a massive chore. Going from 1v1 battles to having to kill many enemies in each battle slows the game down so much.

Picture unrelated. I spammed Final Fantasy all day long when I was a boy. I just can't bring myself to play another JRPG ever again forever.

it does get better as you go on, but maybe try a more linear game before going back to the Erdrick trilogy
give DQ4 a spin if you can

Woah, I didn't know they made a game with all those hentai characters

>all this people giving DQ games a chance
all the series needed was some marketting, who woulda thunk

Attached: ringabel.jpg (250x251, 69K)

>Goku is finally in

Based

Who else realized that Luminary wasn't gonna be the only hero in smash the moment the second CGI segment started?

I'm normally a boomer with my taste in games but nes jrpgs push my tolerance for bullshit to the limit. How are the gbc ports?

people and websites say each game takes like 20 hours...
spending so much time in front of pic related baka

Attached: 12.png (1360x768, 1.14M)

>what DQ do I play first?
Part fucking 1. It's short, simple, inoffensive and you can play it on your phone. Also you need to play it order to understand the main twist of part 3, it's the only reason why it should be played really.
Part 2 can be skipped somewhat safely since it's the latest in the timeline of the original trilogy and serves as a sort of a testing ground for the many of gameplay conventions and setpieces that would become mainstays in the series in the future. It doesn't realise those things well though, the game drops off a cliff about halfway through, like they ran out of content, but wanted to keep the game going so they just made shit as convoluted as possible and cranked the random encounter intensity up to 11. It's playable, but as a vidya history lesson rather than a fun experience.
Part 3 is a glorious glowing masterpiece, play it. The only question is - what version should you play? There are two options - the fan translated SNES remake (which was never officially released in the west) and the mobile version. The SNES version has animated monster sprites, a decent minigame and an extra dungeon, but the translation is what you'd expect from a fan-made product. Mobile version has professional localisation that makes a lot more sense when it comes to hints and an option for autocombat, but lacks all the things I mentioned as features for SNES. Unfortunately there's no definitive edition of 3 right now, so you'll have to choose. Or just play both, I did that.
If you're afraid of touching old crusty games then start with 4. I see many people advice starting with 5, but I disagree with that heavily, as 4-6 is a trilogy and they're basically telling you to start in the middle of it. Many plot points in 5 only make sense if you already played 4. Also 4 is a far better introduction to the series in general, since 5 is the only game in the series that plays the way it does.
Part 5 is the best when it comes to plot though.

Attached: 1560553612418.jpg (440x440, 43K)

If only there was a version of the game that allowed you to use autocombat.

I actually like how this one seems to not be so clear or straight forward with where to go (unless you explore the towns), actually, it's the only thing I am enjoying about it since the combat so far for me is zzzz. Is there any DQ entry that is more focused in its story?

I think that I would appreciate it more if I havent played any jrpg or rpg before. Going at this game after playing pretty much Final fantasy, pokemon and others for more of the same can end up being a bit boring.

It really depends on what parts of a jrpg you enjoy. If you like the plot, cutscenes and other non-gameplay related filler then DQ3 is absolutely not a game for you. It's the AK-47 of RPGs, it cuts out all the extraneous parts until it's just you and a group of murderhobos adventuring through the lands with just enough plot to keep things going forward.
They did start adding more and more plot to the later games though - 5 is the most notorious example, where the whole game revolves around the plot to the point where you only get a real fucking party after you're done with 4/5ths of the game.

Attached: 1560382191475.png (480x640, 89K)

>that fucking dinosaur
Well okay then, I am convinced now that Japan is based when it comes to reaction videos.

Do you know exactly how long 5 is? I have heard some people saying that some games can be isanely long. I don't aim to get invested in the franchise but at least have one single game that I can say "Hey, I really liked it".

Dinosaurs are casual shit, try hamburgers
youtube.com/watch?v=kfJ67G-X3RQ

the only game that's insanely long is DQ7
DQ5 was about the right length without it feeling too long
can't be more than 35-ish hours

Part 4 has some plot, but due to the series popularity and how many times you probably saw that very plot referenced it almost feels like a parody of itself. It's the most generic plot possible, with hero's village being burned by monsters, a tragic proto-sephiroth villain and stuff like that. It has some cool bits, like working as a shop vendor in Torneko's chapter, but overall it's too basic.
Part 5 is great though, best plot in the series. 6 has a decent plot, it's a bit tragic, but not particularly focused or great.

It's on the shorter side, but there's a lot to do in the game all things considered, you're always moving to some next place.
The one people warned you about is 7, it's notorious for it's length. 6 is also maybe a bit over-stretched, but it's far from 7's legendary thickness and girth.

Attached: 1560520539892.png (700x872, 991K)

>DQ III adventure theme
My fucking ears holy shit it's amazing

Lewd
Sexy
Sexy
Sexy

Attached: 5 (4).jpg (1280x1845, 420K)

I realized it when it said the hero instead of the luminary

3 is amazing but damn if party chat isn't the single greatest aspect DQ added.

Are there any other jrpgs that use it?

play SNES version of 3

No I won't because I'm not a child or a fag. I'll play Might & Magic like a real man.

4 and 5 are pretty heavily focused on the story. 4 takes place in short chapters before your entire party comes together at the halfway mark.

It’s honestly not worth bothering to change the class of your team-mates aside from maybe once if you want to access later game jobs, you can’t change your job either

Lazy and Selfish

Which version of V is the best? I'll be playing it in Japanese so translation is not a issue.

>that guy that started crying

PS2 unless DS added any extra content which I don't think it did

Also, V had characters with a personality and is story based with a more complex story-line. The first really story based DQ with fleshed-out characters is 4.

3 has generic characters you chose, and is focused on the adventure and gameplay. The story is more episodic and straight forward, and the game is non-linear after you get the boat. 2 had set party members, but they didn’t really have a personality at all.

DS added the best wife. Only thing the PS2 version has over it is orchestral music.

It’s pleasurable though, something satisfying about the game I can’t put my hands on

PS2 version doesn't have Bianca, if that matter.

You mean Deborah.

1&2 can be beaten in a day, trust me. They are like demos in size.

I only played IX and liked it quite a bit. How is it ranked by DQ enthusiasts?

>that picture
Which DQ got those girls?

Why don't I ever see people talk about IV? I thought its MC looked pretty cool, shitty headgear aside, and was thinking of trying it.

Dude I don't play 10 hours a day you know, I have a life.

It’s not like that, trust me. I didn’t believe it either before I played it, but it’s really short.

Been thinking of replaying it actually, though I think I might replay VII instead.

Attached: 29012770_p0.jpg (880x900, 187K)

VI.

Mixed. People didn't like a return to III's blank NPC party members, even if yuo could design their appearances. The gimmick of going dungeon crawling with your friends wasn't easy to experience outside of Japan. I like the main quest even if some people think it's a bit generic. Having jobs and skills in the same game was great, even if meant even more grinding. I wasn't a fan of the post-game random dungeon crawling, felt a bit too un-Dragon Quest. The DLC post-game story quests were great though.

>VII

See you again in a month user.

Ds, because it has best girl

Attached: DQ5_debora.jpg (2045x3996, 2.38M)

Getting there. Finishing up II right now (after trying to remember where I left off from the last time I played; turns out I was on my way to my second quest). The anticipation is building quite a bit.

It's one of the best entry points of the series and it has a very cool way to start the game.
The game us divided in chapters and in each chapter you play as one of your future party members who have their owbn little story arc and their own call to adventure.

>Quest
Crest.

Tryin' too hard, it seems.

It's pretty good. Although if you're familiar with JRPG games or even anime inspired by them the game's plot will invoke light endearment over it's naivete at best. Make sure to give the second spot in the team to Alena, martial artists are always the best in DQ games.

Attached: 1537681055202.jpg (800x400, 78K)

What's his name again?

That does sound fun. I assume the DS version is the best one?

crono

the last digit on this post is the DQ game I will replay, with 0=11 because DQ10 lmao neverever

It would be if it wasn't missing party chat. Mobile version has it put back in.

The mobile one. It's like the DS version except with party chat button. No one knows why it was removed in the original western DS version, since the japanese version had it, but at least they finally put it back in the mobile one.

Attached: 1539969273506.png (400x450, 51K)

lmao

Attached: 1537733036506.jpg (835x600, 48K)

>the shortest one
cya in 2 hours everyone

Attached: shiggy diggy.jpg (181x182, 10K)

Play the nes original or no balls

Attached: 1545279566265.png (276x176, 39K)

Stream it!

Attached: 1329000801816.png (305x367, 136K)

No the IOS/android version is the best.
In the DS version they removed party chat to save time.
Party chat is a feature that let's you talk with your party members, which let's each of them comment on the things that happend.
Without that feature your party members are basically mutes.

Based Kyouka poster.

Priestess DQ best girl!

Attached: 6ed965d6b9894f1b8a50e54a56a701ae2f72cef9.gif (350x529, 42K)

last digit is the DQ game I will play and stream literally 24/7 without going to bed until I beat it

>V
Good choice.

I'm playing II rn but it's boring as shit

But I'm playing V

How's V on mobile compared to DS? Are the graphics ass compared to DS? I'd like to play 4 and 5 on the same platform.

2 is by far the worst one, so you can only go up from there.

According to what I read 2 is supposed to be one of the worst if not the worst one. Just finished DQ1 and I'll probably watch HCBailey's DQ2 on youtube before playing DQ3.

2 is fucking amazing, dq6 is the worst one

however 2 is also very hard if you're playing the nes one

I'm sorry but reaction videos are retarded even when it's for things that deserve it

The exact same game.
The phone version of IV through VI are ports of the ds versions.

Just gonna throw this out there since I can't get a good file browser running on my computer at the moment; it's possible to restore Party Chat to DQIV on DS.

Basically, the mobile version of the game uses the same file formats as the DS game (because Square are lazy cunts), and the Japanese DS game has party chat enabled. This means you can essentially copy and paste the English Party Chat script from the android release into the Japanese version of the DS game, and then you could use the script from the English DQIV DS for the rest of the game. There's some minor issues such as text overflowing due to the text formatting being a little different in the mobile game, but I'm sure this could be resolved.

I've tried building Tinke to try it out myself, but it seems that it hates windows 10 and the exe won't run.

This lad here did it but pussied out of making it a full thing due to DQVII cease and desist shit.
gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-iv-party-chat-restoration.381078/

If we want a DQIV with proper controls and party chat, this is the way to do it, so I'm urging any of you that have any sort of experience in romhacking to look into it.

Attached: DQIV art.jpg (1024x1495, 147K)

Thank you user, very cool.

mobile V doesn't have best girl

What is the appeal of DQs 3-7?

blackacebb on twitch
I'll be at it until a friend logs in on Dofus to do a quest

what's the best version to play?

that boxart is kino

>Mfw was playing DQIII right before the E3 Direct in the hopes that if I beat the game solo, Erdrick would get confirmed as a character
>Mfw the direct

Attached: 44758.jpg (960x540, 51K)

I did, back on the NES as a kid. I never finished it, though. I remember getting three of the orbs and just not playing more to locate the others, so I still need to go back and finish the game. Eventually.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a remake of the game recently.

What was everybody's favorite teams? I tried a few different combinations, but I think I was doing Priest/Mage/Goof-Off as my last run planning on turning the Priest and Goof-Off into Sages, with the Mage eventually going Thief and then Priest (for all the spells).

Alena is second best girl.

Attached: 66704452_p0.png (1599x1600, 1.93M)

Is it true that DQXI is a sequel to III?

Don't want to spoil anything but it ties back to the original trilogy in a cool way.

XI < III < I < II is the chronological order.

What's the best way to pirate Android apps? The two sources I saw wanted access to my data, location, etc. Apkpure didn't have DQ5.

Attached: 1560370088104.jpg (500x678, 96K)

But I love Dragon Quest 4 NES more!

>Why don't I ever see people talk about IV?
I liked it. DQIVDS is probably my favorite game in the series, although I'll admit that I haven't played DQ8 or DQ11 yet. I mostly liked how it gradually took you through each area, giving you plenty of reason to sail around the world when the chance presented itself. I also liked (ironically) how useful Buff was, since it actually made random fights dangerous without being overly grindy.

I understand that DQIV on NES had the characters (other than the Hero) act on their own, though, which seems like it would kill any strategy found there.

It might even connect to the second trilogy
Just compare Eleven's sword of light with the zenithian sword and remember what happens with it during the third act.

Attached: DQ-IV-1-1024x1012.png (1024x1012, 578K)

I'm playing through DQ2 atm, finished DQ1 again a few nights ago. I'm enjoying DQ2, why don't people talk about it more? Is 3 just that good?

DQ4 was about playing out each side character to get kind of their reason to explore. It wasn't just "hero ran into random guy who decided to join you" it was them on their own missions which you play out which ends in having to find the hero. Which was always a weird idea that works. DS however is fucking bad man. The localization for that version is just awful in every way plus removing the party chat. Yeah mobile put it back in but I just hate playing mobile games. So for me the NES version is the best way to play it until someone somewhere fan translate the PSX or DS version.

It is before III

Where are you at in DQ2 and are you playing with a guide? Because the reason people shit on DQ2 is that it's just an annoying game to play. The world is big but kind of empty since the only thing to do is find the crests. Which are just annoying to find without some sort of guide telling you the places since a few times you just have to search every tile to find it.

DQ3 takes all the things DQ2 did great and threw out everything DQ2 did wrong and it pretty much became what many feel is the best JRPG of all time.

What is its fucking problem?

Attached: slime7910.jpg (530x390, 28K)

Swatch at thes bairn greetin' abit th' accents in his wee gam.

It's too cute.

Right now, heading to Alefgard. So far it's been pretty easy to go through. The thing with the mirror was tricky but so far it's been pretty easy to figure out where to go. No guide, though the tower with the wind cloak in it stumped me at first, then I felt silly when I realised the staircase you're supposed to go up was outside on the right hand side of the first floor, almost grabed a guide for that.

It has all of the DS remake content wtf are you smoking

Always preferred the Drackys myself, but a slime is nice too.

I got vain too.

I wanna play IV but it seems to have some issues with nds-bootstrap on 3ds

I was playing the SNES version of DQ3 right now and it's pretty good so far from what I played in the early beginnings of the game.
And the opening start of DQ3 were Erdrick was in his dream was kino as well.

i made a new game in 3 were i had 3 jokers. im now at lvl 20 with them at Dharma and i dont know what i want for my party. thinking about having one sage, one thief then change into warrior/fighter, and or keep a joker or cleric.
what should my team be Yea Forums? pic unrelated

Attached: 1558850269390.gif (320x240, 393K)

Okay.
Which platform?

SNES
anonfile.com/F2Ift4v6n0/Dragon_Quest_I_II_III_SNES_zip

I don't even hate accents hell they work well enough post DQ4 DS. It's just 4 DS was such a trainwreck in localization that I just hate it.

Well, I liked DQ4DS. I liked that Buff was really strong, basically doubling your defense. That seems like an odd thing to like, but what it meant was that you were free to browse around some very difficult areas because you could buff up your defense to survive fights, and it was MP cheap enough to be viable for decently long trips. It also meant that ambushes were really dangerous, so it wasn't just a cakewalk in choosing to do so: you ran the very real risk of a party wipe with a bad encounter, or if you ran out of MP, so going into those tough areas was still a fairly big risk. And it wasn't the DQ2 full party insta-death spellcasting either, making it much more about judging how much you can survive and much less about just bullshit deaths in traveling around.

Sure, you could just die and be back in town, but that cut your gold in half. And buying equipment with gold was probably far, far more important than levels late-game in DQ4.

And that's a big reason why I'm hesitant to look into playing the NES version. If the other characters are AI controlled, then fuck using Buff and daring to go out in challenging areas. If Kiryl is as likely to use Buff as he is Thwack, then those risky-but-easy fights suddenly become as dangerous as ambushes and I'd be stuck grinding just to get anywhere. Maybe I'm misreading something, somewhere, but it sounds like the NES version would just kill what I enjoyed about the game in the second half.

Attached: DQIV_-_Kiryl.png (298x479, 166K)

Attached: D8_sLkbU8AEzYhq.jpg (934x1199, 236K)

Attached: D8_sLkdUYAAUrcL.jpg (934x1199, 239K)

Here's OP's banner without the Jesters and female Gambler cut off.

Attached: Dragon Quest III Banner-min.png (2560x1440, 1.7M)

Guess there's 2 big reasons why DQ2 isn't really viewed that well. One is the level balance is just bad. Enemies sometimes just feel they do way more damage than they ever really should and you don't really have as much protection from it as you would in DQ3 onward. And Rhome at the end...

And the other one is finding the crests is a bit of a hassle. There's a lot of times you just don't know where to go next and the game never really explain it so you are just wondering forever using the flute hoping to find something.

Goku's ancestor

This art is kino as fuck

>Every DQ3 class has some sort of blue orb in their design
Whoa, deepest lore

I'm at the third town in DQ1 and starting to feel like I'm missing something. Is it really just grind around a town until you are strong enough to journey to the next one? I mean, if so, that's fine, I just can't believe someone would sit in front of their NES for hours doing this shit. I play it for 30 minute stints during my commute and feel like I'm only playing at this point out of stubborn curiosity

DQ III was peak Toriyama style for me which is why I fell in love with DQ III. Shame their isn't a even further expanded variant of this banner.

I noticed that too and like the blue/red dichotomy especially with the dragon's red eyes.

DQ IV-IX are on DS and 3DS. Which ones should I play?

Will we get some Toriyama art to commemorate Smash?

It doesn't? Fuck there goes my plans to go fully comfy with Dragon Quest on my 3DS. Aren't basically most of them ideally playable on this one thing.

do I skip 1? I have the SNES ver.

You could, but playing 1 will really help you appreciate the second half of DQ3 and DQ3 is a must-play.

If you really want control just use a game genie code. Sometimes it's good to just have them be AI other times like Cristo in boss fights you kind of need the control. Actually in Dragon Quest Heroes he's a playable character and his super is him casting instant death over and over and failing until he just goes crazy.

1 is very short and actually pretty fun. and what this user said too

>There won't be spirits for any DQ monster that isn't slime

Attached: D9CMfMbUIAA1ZYv.jpg (900x1200, 154K)

>took this long to get DQ11 on the best selling platform in japan this gen
Hopefully 12 doesn't take that long

Technically none. The problem is that pretty much all pre-patched roms you find online patched the game wrong so they have issues. Just patch that bitch youself.

I know, I've seen it. Kiryl and Meena were my two favorites in DQIV so I paid attention to how they appeared in DQH.

>Is it really just grind around a town until you are strong enough to journey to the next one?
Yes. Welcome to literally the very first JRPG ever. You can do a bit better if you are familiar with the game and know what you are doing, but it pretty much boils down to grinding until you can afford the best equipment, then traveling to the next town and repeating. You might be heading in the wrong direction if things are too difficult, though.

>Which ones should I play?
All of them.

I'd say DQ4 and DQ8 are the major two, but people will insist you play DQ5 even though I found it boring.

Attached: DQIV_-_Meena.png (341x479, 202K)

Good a real answer.

Attached: andyesevenyou...banjokazooie.png (428x262, 113K)

>All of them.
Wish some of them weren't so expensive

>>Which ones should I play?
>All of them.
>My favorite is DQ7 but even I know never to give that answer
It's such a shame because DQ7 is honestly amazing if you can get into the rhythm of the stories. But it's really only for people who are deeply in love with how Dragon Quest does it's vignette.

So I have played DQ 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, and 11.
What should I play next?

VII, the bets DQ game.

Attached: 33506779_p0.jpg (575x800, 310K)

I found DQ7 to be fine, at least on the PS1. The problem was that it was so long, and everything just felt so disconnected. After the fourth or fifth island it got tiring to get back into the motivation of doing it all again. It was certainly far better than DQ9, which had similar problems but much worse, but when compared to how many other games handled it, comes off not as good.

That, and I got fucked at the Dharma Shrine and really didn't feel like replaying the last 20+ hours.

Sounds like DQ sucks as a series

Ashlynn/Barbara is neat. Other than Nevan, I really liked the who party in VI. Well, Amos and Terry seemed really weak in battle, but their characters were neat.

The 3ds version cuts a lot of the bullshit of the ps1 version, it's a far more enjoyable experience.
It doesn't, DQVII is just not a game most would recommend to start with. It's my favorite DQ game personally but I wouldn't suggest other games before it.

Attached: 31743501_p0.jpg (759x660, 285K)

>tfw one of the few who is actually able to play it

Attached: dqx3.png (1920x1080, 2.46M)

VI's cast is pretty weak in general, just like basically every aspect of VI. VI just feels very "by the numbers".

Damn, I forgot about that. Only manga series I've ever finished, lol

I just got the boat in 2. How long till I finish it? I really really want to play 3.

It starts to connect a bit more later in the game but never to what you might enjoy. But I really loved the stories each island has to offer and feel the game ties everything together nicely. It's a weird game but a game I feel works but something that can get hard to get into.

you should just grab a walkthrough for 2 to be honest
you'll get lost very easily from this point onward and the game isn't that interesting unless you get to Rhone where dreams go to die

Yeah I just stopped playing it right now after sailing for 30 minutes and not finding shit

Most Dragon Quest games have you going to different towns, hearing about some sort of problem, solving the problem, and eventually having it wrap up in some way to the overall save-the-world adventure. Some games do this well, other games do this poorly. The biggest problem with DQ7 is that it was a very long game (actually long, not just 100hrs of minigames long) in part because each of these smaller town stories were more involved, and in part because there were a lot of them. The biggest problem that DQ7 honestly had was not wrapping things together early on, so you could spend 40 hours or 50 hours feeling like you were moving from one disconnected situation to the next until things started coming together.

DQ3 does a much better job of establishing a good idea of what you are doing before having you wander the world and start solving these town problems. DQ4 does a good job of establishing stories at various different locations, before setting you off to wander about the world to solve them and tie it all together. DQ7 just spends a lot of time on each story and none of it seems to tie together early on, so it'll feel disconnected and somewhat meaningless for a long time playing.

This is where DQ3 shines. The towns you visit are more than just places to collect special items but have some story beats to them. Plus the items are in places more easily noticeable than DQ2 which are too hidden to be enjoyable.

I remember liking 3 up until the very end where I was forced to grind for a good while because the multi heal spell was basically required for the last boss.

didn't the game give you a Sage Stone?

ROYAL STRAIGHT FLUSH
youtube.com/watch?v=TcRHTFKBvv0

Attached: AkiraToriyama.png?itok=z9Ew5mOh.png (728x410, 492K)

there's so many of them, though! which one? WHICH ONE

But user, I'm playing VIII for the first time and I can't get enough of it. Yangus is best-bro..

I'm making more way through 1 right now on Snes9x
It's pretty good, aged decent for for what is effectively the first JRPG.
After I play the 1 through 3 trilogy, you can basically go in any order you want after right?

Attached: 1560279881783.jpg (358x680, 28K)

>DQ4 and 5 are like $30 each
>think it's reasonable
>check out DQ6 and 9
>$80 minimum
It hurts

The SNES version or the GBC version.
But really, the SNES version.

yeah you can do any order since none of the games after 3 are chronologically tied

My local gamestop has 6 and 9 for 30 and 20 respectively. Don't know if they have the original cases with boxart but may be worth it regardless.

Played DQ5 and liked it
>looked into DQ3
>"Oh cool create your own party"
>muliclassing austism minmax shit
Sorry, can't deal

Are the musou games any good?

Just get those and buy repro cases and art. There's some of those on ebay somewhere probably.
Weakest spin-offs you can find in the modern day. Builders is far better.

You can play it without that autism user.
They're decent spinoffs but beside some fun fanservice they're you're typical musuo shit and get repetitive fast.

Attached: 34040882_p0.jpg (1250x1000, 240K)

Just finished DQ1 NES
That pre final boss grind is bullshit

Just beat the NES version

I paid $90 for 7 like a year before it was rereleased. at the time I thought I got a good deal, lol

6 is available for a reasonable price on android. it's actually enjoyable as long as you're using a tablet

You should've killed the guy who drops the Magic Armor repeatedly. Once he wasn't giving good EXP, then you could go to the Dragonlord castle and kill the knights there to hit Lv.25. Yes, it was a grind, but so was everything else in the game.

Good luck with DQ2 and look up some spoilers in how to find the crests and the magic key. That's honestly some bullshit.

What's the best version of 4?

Attached: Solo_-_Super_Smash_Bros_Ultimate.jpg (4096x4096, 1.08M)

Thanks for the tip!
But I don't think the NES version of 1 has any item drops

The only one you really need to change is your caster to the sage class once it becomes available (since it's a combination of both caster classes). You can just keep the same team forever barring that.

The DS Japanese version

mobile

Mobile if you care about Party Chat
DS for better controls

A real man would play the NES version.

IV plays fine I think but V needs an AP patch and even at that the world map is glitchy

The ds version with the patch that gives it the nes script.

Attached: 2562510_p0.jpg (591x643, 207K)

thx

Does one exist?

Got a link, friendo?

Attached: giphy (7).gif (500x210, 1022K)

Do note, party chat and the postgame chapter go unchanged as they didn't exist in the nes version so there was nothing to replace them with.

While never fully completed this patch is fully playable as well as editing the few amounts of censorship found in the nes script.

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14879.0

Attached: 21587681_p0.jpg (800x1113, 255K)

I actually sat down with a friend and made him beat Dragon Quest 1. 1 is only 5 hours long at most, even with autistic grinding. I dont know why there are places that cite it as 10 hours long. 2 could be beaten in 10-12 hours.

The one knight in the ruined town always appears on one specific square, and he drops the Magic Armor when you kill him. I think he drops it every time you kill him, but given that you can never have more than one armor at a time, it doesn't really matter since you'll just equip it afterwards. Don't fight him if you have the Erdrick Armor, but he's a good source of reliable EXP since he's always at the one spot (two steps to fight him again) and gives decent EXP.

The knights in the final castle were a good source of EXP and didn't fuck you up too much. I think they were on the floor just before the Dragonlord's floor, so were pretty easy to locate.

Attached: DQ_Knight_Aberrant.png (550x514, 383K)

I'm just pissed there's not a fan translation completely. Know it's hard work and most fan translators rather work on things not in the west but it's one that really needs one.

NES is fine for the time. But feel many might rather play a more present version of it. And DS fucked over the localization in ways I never knew was possible. I honestly haven't played a localization this bad since the early 2000's. Half the script nearly gone and just headache super thick accents. And the mobile is just the DS with a super quick party chat that I've heard wasn't really handed well so there's lines that are just off.

I fucking loved IV. Great characters, great pacing, just a solid jRPG all-round. Everyone's always going on about V, but the characters and overarching narrative just weren't as compelling to me. That, and I'd rather have a party full of developed characters rather than monsters and generic kids.

Attached: 1499096999167.png (248x346, 145K)

Yeah, it's a shame. Originally we there were plans to release the ps1 remake of IV in the US, there even exists ads for it in some manuals for other Enix games, but it was canceled sadly.
I think it just comes down to "do you prefer multiple narratives coming together or one greater narrative?".

He doesn't drop the armor, you have to examine the patch of grass behind him.

Attached: 1448265415871.jpg (208x225, 52K)

Remember to spread this image around fellow DraQue fans

Attached: What in the fuck is Dragon Quest.jpg (550x3500, 578K)

I love the floof!

>do you prefer multiple narratives coming together or one greater narrative
Which way does VI lean on that, anyway? Do you get actual, defined party members or just monsters and generic dudes?

Attached: A Metal Slime has appeared!.gif (250x211, 14K)

Nice thread you guys have here, mind if I join in?

Anyone ever read NTR haha wouldn't it be pretty funny if I cucked you and made your wife my slave haha just for laughs though haha

Attached: Jami.png (459x408, 225K)

Fellas can we at least agree 2's full party overworld theme is the best?

too bad its horribly out of date

Floof!

Attached: 554dbb990373b57ff27cd986f7ab752d.jpg (640x720, 80K)

Man even though I love the female 4 mc I'm at least glad we even got the male one. I love 4 so much.

>just got spoiled something that connects XI and III in a smash thread
I dont feel like playing this game anymore bros

Oh right, that guy!
I didn't consider that event battles could be done multiple times

>tfw I tried to prevent him from doing the bad thing as a kid
>It was scripted all along
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1554628218806.jpg (321x348, 76K)

VI is one long narrative, you can get some monsters as party members but it's not the focus like V.

In all honesty VI is agreed to be one of the weakest games in the series. It's class system was interesting if sort of unrefined and the game feels rather dully designed. The entire game just feels like they wanted to produce and finish it as soon as possible. It has its charms, it's not entirely soulless, but not nearly as much as other entries.

Oh, right. It's probably been over a decade since I last played the game; I didn't remember that.

Would have thought they would have done both. DQ3 and 4 does start with a gender option so having both male and female 3 and 4 Hero/Heroine would have been a nice addition.

Eh, not really. Its just missing info on X and XI.

the best way to enjoy DQ 1 is honestly as a puzzle game rather than a jrpg

>bring hero and 3 jester(female)
>Absolutely stomped in the first cave
Goddamnit

Says who? Might go fucking crazy with like 60 spirits.

>make the most difficult possible party to play the game
"dude wtf why is this hard?"

Why are japs so cucked? Why would you play a game where you get to marry a girl and decide "Yup, I'm going to draw doujins where I get cucked by a horse monster."

Attached: 1539328159703.jpg (300x300, 28K)

Have Sex
Me: I will have buttsecks with you now
Her: No you won’t! Exit only!
Me: Buttsecks is already happening
Her: (painful grunting)

I want harem of three sages.

You get a Book of Satori right as you unlock class-changing so you only need two Jester.

Which games specifically let you marry a cutie?

dqv

bianca best girl

Attached: 1541532259467.png (350x318, 257K)

5 during the game
1, 8 and 11 in the ending

no because I don't like the dragon ball artstyle.
too many robes

Shame Female versions of the heroes won't be in Smash, but at least you can play as them in III. You are playing as a female, right Yea Forums?

Attached: dco0k6t-b49d3e1e-579e-4be9-a05a-336f38e5ae1c.png (850x935, 233K)

>not liking pic related's cape

Attached: Piccolomanga.png (296x499, 237K)

I'm playing as a male with three female companions because /ss/ is the best

I managed to get DQVI off Gamestop's website for like $30 last year. Box, manual, and game in near perfect condition. The guy before me only played for 6 or 7 hours. Luckiest buy I've ever gotten.

>sack of gold on the table
>Brownie praying
I chuckled. Is that official art?

Kill yourself.

Capes are fine, I mean robes. The kind that are like, poncho looking things.
Also Gis. They're fucking everywhere

>10
>never ever
hahah eop

Attached: Dragon Quest X Online 2019.05.06 - 17.02.09.01_Trim.webm (650x656, 463K)

not sure, grabbed it from a thread a bit ago

My Erdrick Right now is romantic
the first time i play i wasnt paying attention and got crybaby

Why does the Hero from 3 get all the love an attention when the Hero from 11 is the "poster boy" for smash

I dont know shit about dragon quest

Just finished the Act 2 of DQ11 and a well into Act 3, it being my first entry

Man what a ride, feeling all sorts of emotions

I thank HxH's author for introducing me to this series

Attached: download (4).png (885x730, 760K)

months of shitposting that paid off for Yea Forums
for japan its their favorite game

Attached: D8z3XdcWkAIghmI.jpg (1105x717, 177K)

because 3 is the most iconic one to japan

lore-wise he's the legendary hero that started it all in most of the games

im still mad hendrik got no closure for his story arc, dqxis better fucking fix it

Attached: 70394495_p8.jpg (1063x1135, 117K)

3 is the OG of OG's, the hero who vanquished the original demon lord and saved the world, setting the first 2 games in motion. They first 3 games are the iconic ones that kicked off the series, and 3 was the one that brought that entire trinity together.

11 is related to that world and setting, so stressing the importance of 3 also stresses the importance of 11.

III is basically the mario 3 of the series if that means anything to you. 11 is just the latest game in the series.

That's a pretty wide range of games.

3 was more of a revolution in JRPG gameplay, being the first console RPG with a class system. It's also just really well balanced, and the story and world are more fleshed out than other RPGs at the time.

4 and 5 are as revolutionary for storytelling in games as Final Fantasy 4 and 6 were, just mostly in Japan instead of America. They played with story structure and subverting genre cliches (ones that DQ itself helped popularize) and feature incredibly memorable characters at a time when such things were just uncommon.
If you love the storytelling in games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, FF7, EarthBound, etc, DQ4 and 5 were basically what inspired those types of games. Mother 3's chapter system is actually directly lifted from DQ4. I often see DQ games described as having generic but well-told stories, but I really don't agree with that. They all involve a chosen hero gathering a party to fight a dark lord, but everything else about them is very different. 4's characters are some of the most memorable in all of gaming, 5 has some moments that genuinely shocked me and I'll never forget.

These games are considered absolute all-time classics in Japan in the same way we think of FF7, Chrono Trigger and EarthBound, yet over here they've developed this weird reputation of being cliche and simplistic compared to other games.
I can't spoil them, but there are moments in 4 and 5 where it just clicks with you why these games are consistently ranked in the top 5 games of all time in Japan, and you can suddenly see the impact they left on all of gaming over there.

Attached: 1429679118007.jpg (800x727, 672K)

DQ XI was one hell of a fucking ride.
Even as someone who beat everysingle gane in the franchise, except for 3 and 7 I was still not prepared.
Though I am not a fan of the 3rd act

tfw no translation of the PSX version

>except for 3 and 7
Why haven't you played the two best DQ games?

Attached: 4536983_p0.jpg (1200x810, 1008K)

But I'm almost finished with Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls. DQIII has to wait its turn.

Everyone that has at least half a brain.

Completely fucking forgot about X. Is it just totally region locked on all platforms?

Why play the worse version of FF1?

Is ortega the biggest jobber in all of video games?

Honestky was not feeling 7 at all I dropped ut around groundhogs day town and I picked up 3 a bunch of time, but I always just stop playing before I even reach anyother place on the map that isn't the first town.

I doubt anyone is ever gonna do this properly since the mobile version exists and anyone that could do it will just tell you to play that one. Really sucks.

Didn't XI invalidate Erdrick as a copycat, given the real Erdrick is XI's protag?

Having just completed Final Fantasy on NES not long ago, that is a gross exaggeration. I love the 8-bit aesthetic, but the original game is an exercise in frustration.

The title Erdrick must have come from somewhere.

PSX is pretty much the only good version of FF1. Since it is just the NES version with bug fixes. While everything after that they messed with it so much it's not really as enjoyable to me anymore.

loto looks way cooler so either way i don't care

Not even the coolest Loto

Attached: 2017y08m25d_101158710-570x320.jpg (570x320, 21K)

Been playing DQV, it's my first one because everyone says it's the best one. Been enjoying it so far, just married Debora. She seems very interesting.
Anyways, what DQ should I play after this? III like OP asks?

theres no ip ban for america, china, and japan

next one is entirely up to you
I suggest playing in release order

The first three games are short enough where you can blast through them all as if they were one game.
This has the added benefit of letting you appreciate the fact that 1 codified the console RPG, 2 was the first console RPG with a party system, and though 3 wasn't the first console RPG with a job system it is the one that inspired FF3 and 5's system.

user, if you're still here, thanks for the info

Attached: 1537175311281.gif (320x240, 65K)

Emulate them like a normal person.

This.

Was happy to see him still in smash, I plan to main him. Sadly my actual favorite DQ is too unpopular to ever have got in so he was a nice compromise.

Shitposting.

Give me a quick rundown on the series, which ones to play/start with and which version(s) to use.

>Picked Deborah
My fellow lionhearted chad.
Based taste
Play IV
The ancient legendary hero they are all talking about is the hero from IV.

DQ6?

Nigger I have to finish 1 first. We'll get to 3 at a later date.

IV, V, VIII and XI
Are in my opinion the best places to start
Best version of each are
IV=IOS/android
V=DS
VIII=3ds for more content(extra ending/dungeon/outfits/party members) and no random encounters, ps2 for better graphics, music and uncensored outfits.(if you have a hacked 3da you can patch the uncensored outfits back in)
XI= switch, but the switch version isn't released yet

Are there personality quirks inherent to any individual DQ Hero? Just curious

Attached: 1560351338413.jpg (644x845, 495K)

Post apk

How have you not beaten 1 yet?
You could have beaten it twice already in the time it took me to reply to you.

Has this manga ever been translated into English? I can't believe how few people know about it on Yea Forums even though it's one of the best shonen I've read.

Not really
V is said to be weird and a bit gloomy
VII is said to be (by maribels admission admittedly) a bit of a weak pushover
Thats about all I can think of

Been playing XI and it's kind of boring, honestly. I just got the thief guy from the city prison. Does it pick up at all, or is this the whole game?

Attached: 1547670566813.png (428x424, 124K)

What would happen if we placed all the Heroes in one party?

Attached: 1456927852952.jpg (400x480, 89K)

I assume that's because they remove the intro?
At least, that's what causes issues in the Mother 3 translation when chinks try to sell repros of it
Mine was prepatched and on emuparadise but still has the intro, am I fine? And if not, could you please specify?

1 and 2 are the first JRPG so it's hard to really recommend playing them since they mostly just grindfest. DQ3 however is pretty much perfection in terms of options to make your party and the grind isn't nearly as bad. Sadly DQ3 story does kind of meant to be enjoyed after playing DQ1 and 2 (mostly just 1). If you just guide your way through those games and talk to the NPC to get a bit about the history you should be fine playing DQ3 and they only really take a weekend to beat with a guide.

DQ4 is fun but the issue is the "best" is hard to answer. NES is fine but might feel a bit too clunky dealing with only 2 buttons in such a menu driven game. DS localization is damn annoying and the removal of party chat really hurts since that's nearly 50% of the writing. Mobile is the DS with just a slapdash party chat included so that's the version to play if you are ok with playing mobile Dragon Quest.

After that it's pretty easy to answer
DQ5, 6, and 9 - DS
DQ7 and 8 - 3DS (some argue DQ8 PS2 is better because it looks better but 3DS has way more content that makes it a much more enjoyable game personally).
X is only playable if you read moonspeak.
And 11 Swich that is coming out soon.

youtu.be/ia9uOLIzoow

So what's THE dragon quest console. I'm guessing the New 3DS since it can play NES games, SNES games, DS games and 3DS games.

i have this and banjo music stuck in my head right now

DQVII. Sadly the more cartoony proportions of its characters make them look weird among the other characters.

Attached: 33741951_p0.png (1654x1742, 3.28M)

Yeah. Not to mention every game is legally on the 3DS as well (if you know japanese).

The orchestrated version of this is pretty damn beautiful ngl.

Attached: 1560289905582.jpg (680x850, 215K)

Which game are the brown sluts with purple hair from? I'll play that one.

Think they made it work well in the Final Smash. Would have been nice if they just had 1-8 Hero as a playable character but feel they really wanted to push 11 to sell copies (especially in the west). I'm honestly shocked they just didn't go with DQ 3, 5, 8, and 11. Since DQ5 tend to be the most well loved of the series after 3.

Attached: vlcsnap_2019_06_11_12h03m15s708.6.jpg (1200x800, 160K)

IV

Attached: 1558946238614.jpg (858x982, 635K)

Wich filters should i use in the Snes9x emulator?

The game is already pretty enough, you don't need any meme filtering.

Alright I'm good for now, but one last thing , are all the mobile ports of the games good? Just asking cause the UI kinda looks ugly but if they're good ports I'll consider getting at least IV on mobile but either way I have have access to most of them so I'll get to it as soon as I can.

My wife Meena is NOT a slut. Her sister on the other hand...

In which games i can have some punchy girls/boys?

Attached: 7fb9bf41a4657c63bf76590f41840b5b.jpg (433x650, 40K)

Even in DQIII it's implied that there have been Erdricks before.

Mobile ports of the DS games just use a fake thumbstick to move around. It's not amazing (but really no mobile game that uses that is) but it works. That's really all you can say about the mobile versions of the Dragon Quest games. They are workable. Never really feels wrong but since everything about Dragon Quest is build with a D-Pad menuing in mind it's hard to really speak positively for the mobile version. If you played the Final Fantasy mobile versions and enjoyed those than you would enjoy the Dragon Quest ones.

It picks up.
Literally everyone asks this exact question at that exact part.
You actually haven't even gotten to the opening credits yet.

The lazy way is to use Drastic to emulate nds on your phone.

>Dragon Quest Threads with this many replies
>Banjoposting
>Crash Team Racing with 500 replies each thread
I'm amazed how good Yea Forums is doing these days...

Attached: 1539613569487.jpg (573x800, 144K)

They are the strongest on IV (Alena) and XI (Jade). In other games, they tend to fall behind others.

5 wasn't picked because he isn't the Hero, his son is

IX is the best one. Prove me wrong.

Pro-tip: You can't.

Attached: 1549737192101.jpg (325x270, 21K)

Was going to joke about that but maybe. Guess also they just wanted more Famicom/NES characters because it's fucking Nintendo and that's what they love to do.

They're about as good as ports come, they just have the standard garbage controls, and despite being expensive they don't have blutooth controller support.

I mean, that's literally the twist of the game, and why he's the only DQ Hero to not use a sword.

I meant more that the hero of DQVII couldn't be used since unlike the others his anatomy is so much different.

I know but they are not called "Heroes" in Japan. They are titled something like protagonist. So they could have put him in and would still work.

They are literally called 勇者 which is Hero which is a title with implications in DQ beyond just protagonist so you are wrong

Now that you finished I, play III

A lot of Japanese fans simply refer to them by number. How you refer to them really doesn't matter that much. Only rare cases like Solo/Sofia exist where there is a canon name.

Heard Horii always names his Hero George.

Hold up, when I open the game, only has I and II. Do I need to unlock III or something?

3 is overrated shit that nostalgiafags circlejerk over because they want to desperately pretend JRPGs aren't glorified VNs

open the other file

He must have gave you a link to Dragon Quest 1&2 for SNES. DQ3 for SNES is a standalone game.

I'll give you attention but this is nowhere close to (You) worthy.

You did it! Thanks to you I got my most hoped for smash additions. Thanks man

Male is canon

>they are not called "Heroes" in Japan. They are titled something like protagonist
baka gaijin

I will as soon as I beat Dragon Quest 2
I already beat Dragon Quest 1 and I'm trying to play through the series in sequential order.

2 soundtracks were peak Sugiyama.
youtube.com/watch?v=ODp7M-TVQYQ

HOLY FUCKING BASED

Attached: dq3.jpg (1054x1500, 569K)

A series with a whole lot of ass-kicking princesses, but the OG one is only notable in that you can carry her everywhere, even the final battle.

I've read it's normally 主人公 which can be read as protagonist.

Man, I'm fucking retarded. Gonna consult a guide.

A fucking invisible door.
Gah

Will the Loto trilogy ever be remade again?

I want this guy to be playable in more stuff, like if they ever make a dragon quest heroes 3 you can play as this guy and he never once puts down the princess. Just sword in one hand and princess what's her name in the other as he slays dragons like it ain't no thing

i like v more

>Valiant hero
>3 Sexy female characters
Legitimately the best way to play the game.

We should ask square enix to port all drsgon quest games to switch

I prefer lewd hero because I can roleplay that they all fuck at inns

nigga just fucking emulate them

DQIII is a terrible first entry into the series because there is no supporting cast to make up for the Hero being mute. IV is a better start.

I wonder why they made female characters so much better in III.

Kind of shocked there was only 3 versions. 4 if you count mobile as it's own thing.

I am but people keep telling me to play DQ1 first to enjoy DQ3 more but on android it's crusty as fuck and the grinding is unbearable

In DQIII, the world is the main character, full of personality

Lmao people told you that?
you got le epic troled my man

>DQ1
>grinding

are you this retard?
>

I quite honestly feel 5 wasn't picked because they didn't want to dis-associate him from his staff he's a king and that staff not only represent his authority as such, but also the command he has over monsters and because you can just recolor Eldrick purple and white and you get more or less the same effect.

I believe their choices for the 4 alts were the most optimal ones. Eldrick for the original trilogy, Solo for the Zenithian tilogy, Eight is the most recognizable face from the later games and Eleven is to shill that sexy new game coming up.

Play it on snes
Use save states

Yes its needed to enjoy dq3

on it

Attached: EmuHawk_2019-06-15_09-25-17.png (1465x1120, 34K)

Not him but DQI does require grinding though. I think he's overreacting to it and that it isn't bad at all but still.

if the twist is something retarded like "you were erdrick all along" I'm going to find you

Just started DQ5 and just beat the first boss and holy shit am I bored. The only other jrpgs I've played are FF4, 7 and Secret of Mana and those bad way better pacing and characters in the first hour or two than this game. Please convince me to keep playing. Would 4 be a better alternative pacing wise?

Attached: DQ5_2019-06-14-21-08-15.jpg (720x1480, 966K)

oh just you wait
have fun while you can

You're told right away that you're his descendant. The last act of DQ3 is very hype if you played DQ1 previously. I wouldn't say it's necessary

pffftftft

It starts slow and it snowballs. enjoy the comfy adventures with your dad while you can.

You're still in the queue, just wait for the wild ride.

I'll give it a little more time. Another thing I can't stand though is that every character looks mad. It's all I think about one when I look at the characters. Maybe it's just me.

Playing DQ1, where the fuck is Erdrick's armor in the destroyed town? I keep wandering around but there's no chests or anything.

I'm playing the NES version, just in case that makes a difference.

For Dragon Quest gamed after IV you need to be patient. Not only because the game is slow paced naturally, but also because due to the timeskips there are a lot of details that are tasty AS FUCK if you pay close attention early on. Everything that you do in the first act has impact in some way.

You gonna be at it the whole week for 5.

You'll find a hint in one of the towns
There's a tile in the destroyed town that triggers a fight

I played it again last year. Do I have to play it again already?

You get a pass to play a different one instead, congratulations.

Found it, I'm guessing the hint is in the walled town at the bottom of the world map that I haven't got to yet? Also fuck this difficulty jump in this whole southern area is awful. Did the SNES remake make it better? Because it feels like I have to run from most fights or grind a shit ton if I want to survive more than a few battles against the tougher enemies.

Objective list of best games in the series
5>11>3=8>4>7>9>6>1>2
I didn't play 10 cos I'm not a nippon NEET

dq9 is the best dq game and nobody can prove me otherwise

Yeah, there are two merchants in that town
Merchant A tells you his grandfather's friend hid something in the tree behind his shop
That friend was the grandfather of Merchant B who tells you where his grandfather's shop used to be

I think at that point of the game you're supposed to grind in the east near the town beyond the swamp cave until you have enough money for the most expensive equipment there and have a high enough level to save the princess from the swamp cave

ps2 looks better and has better combat.

>Only thing the PS2 version has over it is orchestral music
It also has a non shitty script and arguably looks better. Sadly all versions of DQV are pretty damn ugly.

>start DQ3 due to this thread
>take personality test
>tells me I'm a bully

Attached: file.png (1278x851, 1.13M)

Great. Is it faster to grind money off the gold golems or to keep respawning that chest with 100 gold/small chance for a death necklace in that one cave north of the destroyed town?

Does anyone know how the DLC in dragon quest builders 2 works? If I want to play with friends online will we all have to have the same DLC, or can someone without the DLC play with people that have it?

Playing DQ1 at x2 speed, so far I've only been grinding enemies for exp and money, amazing

Attached: EmuHawk_2019-06-15_10-29-32.png (1465x1120, 308K)

My team right now is hero, Fighter, Cleric, Sage.

Should I keep the Cleric or change her into something?

Horii really wants you to feel that classic Ultima experience.

How long does the SNES version of 3 average out to?

I turned both my cleric and mage into sages around level 40
I'd change her theres not much point to keeping her a cleric

It called me a lazy piece of shit, which is true

>controls

Are they really that big a deal? It’s a menu-based game after all.

TALENTLESS JAP CEO: "GIVE ME THE BLANDEST JRPG MECHANICS AND MOST GENERIC STORIES EVER!"
SIR, YES, SIR!
*dev team contracts anuses*
*plop* *plop* *plop*
*sniff sniff*
IT'S READY, SIR!!
"GOOD JOB MEN, NOW SLAP SOME OF THAT DRAGON BALL ART ON IT! THIS GONNA SELL LIKE CRAZY!"

Wow someone with the correct opinion. Good job

Attached: CxELSit.gif (500x279, 1.06M)

The controls are less than optimal for all the non-menu related parts

Grinding the gold golems is probably better because you get also xp

i think DQ4 hero has one of the more unique looks in any rpg
i mean its simple as fuck, but his helmet stands out in a sea of spikey hair anime boys and his colors are completely their own thing
and he especially stands out in his own franchise too

his game even stands out due to how the story is structured making one of the most memorable parties in all of jrpgs.

Wow, very funny and original jome, where do I upvote?

fuck this guy

Attached: Pizza Boy screenshot.jpg (480x432, 47K)

your retarded post earns you nothing, DQ3 was the first of its kind and the ancestor of JRPG.

Attached: demonicscreeching.jpg (600x394, 25K)

DQV - its your story but you're not the chosen one
DQIV - you're the chosen one, but its not really your story
pretty great duality between these games

then 6 comes along and is ultimately unimpressive.
sad that none of the games try to experiment narratively again

Yeah, 5 fucking experience. Grinding the monsters in the cave with the 100 gold chest gives me more EXP, they all have like 10-20.

First playthrough of DQ3 here, chose a Jester - is it actually a meme character or will it actually be worthwhile in the end, Magikarp-style?

Attached: file.png (256x199, 46K)

How do we fix DQI?

Magikarp style, but you get a Gyarados for free anyway, so it's really only useful if you want two Gyarados

I played 1 and 2 and I didn't really like them. I quit the series after that

LOL
>where to upvote
YOU JUST DID

That's like playing Zelda 2 and then deciding the series isn't for you

I played 7 and 8 and felt the same. Too easy and too slow.

Zelda 2 is considered the black sheep of the Zelda series. You mean to tell me the first game, the one that started it all, is considered a disgrace by Dragon Quest fans?

Classic
IV > III > V > I (only because it's so short the annoyance of it isn't that much of an issue) > VI > II

Modern
VII > XI > VIII > IX (enjoy 9 but I was more of a fan of a story focus JRPG).

Ugh, how do you people have the patience to get specific personality on your party members ? So many luck things involved. Just going to pump into what sounds important and bail.

No, it's over thirty years old and aged a lot more then other entries. Stop being retarded and play another game. VI, V, VIII, and XI are good entry points.

Attached: 70565411_p0.jpg (2508x3541, 3.74M)

It's more DQ 3 onward took all the issues DQ 1 and 2 had (level balance and blind wondering mostly) and changed it enough to make it better. It's more like Zelda 1 compare to Zelda 3. They have a lot of the same gameplay ideas but Zelda 3 fixed so much of the gameplay and exploring that it's considered amazing. That's what Dragon Quest 3 did to both it's own series and JRPG as a whole.

Are they all as grindy as the first two? Because that was my main issue with the games. I fucking hate grinding. I consider it padding and it's not necessary for an RPG to be good.

Not even close. Only time I needed to grind in DQ3 is at one boss where I needed an extra level or two to get a multi healing spell but even than there's metal slimes everywhere to speed it up. And after that the games don't really have any real spikes.

STILL
FUCKING
GRINDING

Attached: EmuHawk_2019-06-15_11-33-16.png (1465x1120, 307K)

Which version of the game is that?

snes version
Dragon Quest I & II (Japan) [En by RPGOne v2.0] (Dragon Quest Version)

Super Famicom version with a translation patch.

CHILDHOOD FRIEND POWER SUPREME

Attached: 1560496752093.png (406x770, 142K)

Dumb NPC who will end up forever alone in the Switch version

WOW You can't show that in a christian game

Attached: EmuHawk_2019-06-15_11-51-12.png (1465x1120, 108K)

You've seen nothing yet

Childhood friends always win in DQ, no amount of non-canonical what if scenarios can change that.

Attached: 1560577773725.jpg (700x800, 115K)

kek
pretty cute
better than the pornographic shit infected modern DQ

>youtube.com/watch?v=zsybX2AdCw0
best shonen manga

Attached: 1529502880197.jpg (876x1376, 368K)

Why is magic so useless

Lmao

have fun with random encounter without boom

May as well call it Dragonball Quest. Can this dickhead not draw different characters?

Before delivering her to the king go to the town next to the castle and sleep at the in.

damn, should have told me earlier

Hope you are talking about Dragon Quest 1 and even than it has lots of uses just not nearly as much as later games.

w-what will happen

Sorry. The innkeeper says something about you having a smile on your face or something like that.

I got that 3D PS2 game, how is it ranked?
I tried get to it few years ago, but it kind of made me sleepy instead of engaging

It's amazing how much shit they used to get away with in japan back in the day

tfw this will never ever happen

>have to farm to 23600 gold and level 15
I hate this game

Attached: EmuHawk_2019-06-15_12-20-56.png (1465x1120, 99K)

youtube.com/watch?v=M5yO_sev4UA
Eh it's nothing really major. In the Japanese version in Kol (hot spring area) is where the first Puff Puff was but they took that out in the American release.

I'm playing the japanese question indeed but it's too late now

There has to be an easier way, right?

Also don't put the letter she gives you in the bank, it's far more important than it appears. Try using it in the overworld, the effect is slightly different compared to using it in town. I missed that part during my first playthrough and got stuck because of that.

got to buy that flame sword and silver shield

it just tells me the remaining experience and the distance to the castle in the overworld, is there more to it?

the 3ds version was absolute kino.

Attached: dragon quest.jpg (800x480, 87K)

For what? I'm guessing the Flame Sword but don't remember it costing that much. As for leveling I just explored in caves most of the time. DQ1 is annoying in how grindy it is sadly. DQ2 is slightly better only because with multiple party members there's more options but it's nearly as grindy and enemies are even more annoying.
Don't know who tells you but someone talks about something hidden using those numbers. That's really all it's really used for.

Unironically the mobile one
Better balanced, good speritework, even if poorly scaled
GBC and SNES are good versions too with a couple of extras, but they aren't as well balanced
Mobile hasn't the same graphics of the snes

Your coordinates relative to the position of the castle is the important part. You'll need them eventually

I'm sad that DQ1 hero is not in Smash, his armor is really THE dragon quest armor for me.

Attached: 1557894785293.jpg (800x1153, 183K)

is that a real pokemon card?? that's amazingly kino

DQ7 is underrated.

I'm happy to finally see a lot of love for IV in a DQ thread.

Attached: 1557717552458.jpg (2970x2100, 1.17M)

Roto or Loto?

It's Roto, but R is L in japan.

Gonna be honest, tried to get into VIII and just couldnt, meanwhile tried to get into IV and everything's clicking a lot smoother for me

Attached: Dragon_Quest_-_Solo_from_Dragon_Quest_IV.png (732x1185, 770K)

People do NOT love DQ4?
I find that hard to believe. I think it's one of the best in the series.

That's the thing, both are pronounced the same in niponese but L and R are still different letters, which one is supposed to be the canon romanization?

This is why jap are mad

These conversations always get really fun when you realize that b and v have the same relationship as l and r in japanese.

Not quite
Neither the english l and english r exist in Japanese, Japanese uses a different consonant (same as un-rolled R in Spanish or Italian)
Meanwhile english and Japanese B is the same consonant, but they don't have a V so it gets merged with B

Where's the big ass folder/mega with every rom I need all prepped

Nothing much honestly just something fun you can do.
Even better in that town there's a women that when talked to will follow you so it's more of a threesome.

Attached: good night.png (1282x1260, 145K)

>Childhood friends always win in DQ, no amount of non-canonical what if scenarios can change that.
Not in my playthrough, and that's all that matters.

LES VRAIS SAVENT

Smash is without a doubt the greatest vidya culture refresher. (I wanted to say greatest necromancer but most of these franchises aren't dead)

LES VRAIS NE TRAINENT PLUS ICI

What is it like to experience the gaming in the 80s?

This is one of those games that only looks right at 8:7.

4:3 all the pixels look wrong.

I've only played IV and V

>a dragon quest thread that's about to hit bump limit

based timeline

LES VRAIS NE S'EXPOSENT PAS DE LA SORTE

5, play the DS version so you can marry best girl.

this

Attached: 1537507519853.jpg (1000x2582, 351K)

I KNEW something was wrong but I couldn't put my finger on it, looks so much better now thanks!

Attached: EmuHawk_2019-06-15_14-05-13.png (1280x1120, 160K)

wouldn't happen without smash

DQ waifus > FF waifus

Attached: 1538010594826.jpg (1280x904, 279K)

Does DQ have a preferred version chart similar to Final Fantasy's?

All games only look right in 8:7

>comedy relief character becomes an ultra chad

Attached: dragon_quest_pop_by_titans07-d9tf5pk.jpg (600x849, 181K)