I'll be honest Yea Forums, even though I like JRPGs I've never played a Final Fantasy games. But I want to start...

I'll be honest Yea Forums, even though I like JRPGs I've never played a Final Fantasy games. But I want to start. Which one should I play first? Are there any that should be avoided?

Attached: ffstorylogo.jpg (400x246, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/359870/FINAL_FANTASY_XX2_HD_Remaster/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You honestly shouldn't bother. You've probably played a lot of JRPGs that are better than FF already. So you'll just get frustrated.

But if you absolutely must try one, I'd suggest playing Final Fantasy VI or X. You get a mix of the mechanics of the old and new games together. As well as seeing the positives and negatives most FF games have (Style over substance, good atmosphere but bad flow)

Attached: finalfantasy_edgarchainsaw.jpg (900x675, 273K)

If you want to experience classic 2D FF, play anything up to 6.
If you want to experience the classic 3D FF, play anything between 7 and 10.
If you want to experience the new and often criticized FF, play anything after 10.

>Style over substance, good atmosphere but bad flow
Or instead of wasting your time with 6 and 10 you can play 4 and 5 (the original versions, not remakes) which don't have these problems.

>FFIV
>not style over substance
Just because the graphics have now become dated doesn't mean they weren't going for that in the past. FFIV is one of the worst in the series because they put story and cutscenes above everything. It set the standard for what later FF games did.

Attached: Rosa_FF4_Fan_Art_01.jpg (750x535, 97K)

play ffxii

5, 6, Tactics, 7-10 and 12 are all you need. Start with literally anyone of them.

VI and VII are probably the best entry-points.
III and V are fun if you like job systems. VIII has completely nonsensical mechanics and a story that you'll either despise or adore. I wouldn't bother.
IX is a great homage to older RPGs but it can be a slog at times. Maybe play this one after VI or VII.
X is the beginning of nu-FF and hasn't really aged well.
XI and XIV are MMOs.
XIII is a hallway simulator.
XV is an open world sort of adventure with your bros. It doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy game.
I and II aren't really worth playing. Everything I does is done better in III, and everything II does is done better in SaGa.

VII and IX are must plays.
VI is the most overrated game in history.

Nothing wrong with a bit of story in the games. IV-X (and XII) are all better than any game in I-III

I'll give you the best version to play per game and whether or not they're worth a damn. You're welcome.

FF1 - PSP port - simple & charming, worth a try
FF2 - PSP port - pain in the ass, avoid
FF3 - Steam 3D ver - faithful remake of the og and worth going through
FF4 - Steam 3D ver - same as 3
FF5 - GBA - decent game, but not greatly memorable
FF6 - SNES - arguably best one, play it
FF7 - Steam/PS4 - classic game, play it
FF8 - Steam/PS4 - mixed bag, worth a try
FF9 - Steam/PS4 - among the best, play it
FF10 - PS4 Remaster - great game, has some faults but play it
FF11 - Online shit, no clue
FF12 - Remaster PS4 - never stood out much to me, but worth a try if you like MMO system
FF13 - PS3 - shit tier, avoid
FF14 - Online shit, no clue
FF15 - PS4 - mixed bag, worth trying

>any that should be avoided?

All of them. JRPGs are a relic of the past. Unless you grew up playing them there are far better options available. Going back to play classic JRPGs is no different than going back to play gold box DnD games. It's a waste of time.

Good list but I disagree on the IV version. It should be played in 2D the first time, think the latest version of that was the PSP release which can be emulated

You should play FF7 steam version with the remako mod (increases pre render backround resolution) because the backrounds look bad on hd tvs.

I started with IV (PSP version) pretty recently and liked it a lot.

>recommends casualized ports of older FFs
>has dogshit taste
Checks out

Attached: 1529794813615.gif (800x382, 2.41M)

IV, VI, IX are the only good ones.

Good point, the PSP ver of IV is really good. So either that or the Steam ver though, they did a great job on that remake.

viii is the only one worth playing, and tactics. this is not a shitpost.

XIII really is on par with II for shittiest FF tho

which soundtracks are actually good

7, X, or Tactics are probably the easiest to get into.
After those, if you liked 7, you can try 8 or 9.
If you liked Tactics try XII.
13 is boring but it has one of the best battle systems lategame.

>Viii

-Head on pants retarded story
-Enjoy sucking enemy cocks for magic

>Nothing wrong with a bit of story in the games.
No there isn't. Except when the story overtakes gameplay and design. It's just comical how many times FFIV "kills" a party member just to free up a slot. And they didn't even need to do this. Dragon Quest, Wizardry and many games that came out before FFIV and allowed you to pick which party member to have in your party. But Final Fantasy focuses so much on story, they had to force in story events to explain character switching. And it hurt both gameplay and the story.

And all the way up to FFXIII, XIV and XV, you have the same stupid forced/red herring deaths.

Disliking FF2 is a meme, just like the FF fanbase.

It really isn't. Have you played it? Never in my life have I had to deal with an encounter rate like that.

>Never in my life have I had to deal with an encounter rate like that.
Did you not play FFIV on SNES or Pokemon Red/Blue? Encounters every fucking 1-3 steps.

>doesn't know about the other methods to get magic
>worries about "the story" in a videogame

kill yourself you cancerous cunt

>Never in my life have I had to deal with an encounter rate like that.
Maybe you should play more games.

The pacing of viii's story honestly sucks ass, there are way too many times wheres nothing exciting at all happens. The game peaks at the two gardens fighting and never recovers.

I haven't but sounds painful and like something I'd turn off after 20 min.
So I can experience worse shit? I'm good.

And what else is there in a FF besides the story? Are you trying to say you play it for the "gameplay" of selecting options in menus?

>Literally admits he's a casual
Good, now any opinions you post can be safely discarded

If you like other JRPGs and won't be put off by mediocre English VA work and awkward animation, I recommend X as a starting point.
God-tier OST, the battle system is arguably the best in the series, and the story is solid.
If you play the modern remaster, make sure to use the original OST in options.

Attached: bonedad.jpg (400x400, 51K)

I've heard some not so great thing about XV while browsing on Yea Forums, is it at least worth a try?

XV is literally hold attack to win

>h-he doesn't play enough games his opinions don't matter!
Hahaha. Implying anyone's fucking opinion "matters" on Yea Forums. Nice going lad.

in terms of gameplay
13-2 > 10-2 > 7 > everything else
in terms of story
who cares all the stories are dogshit at BEST. yes that includes 7

Attached: 1547354345570.png (1658x2646, 3.6M)

Depends what you are looking for in a JRPG right now.
1 - Basic but fun
2 - Avoid
3 - Avoid
4 - Basic but fun
5 - Basic but fun (my favorite of the classics)
6 - One of the best
7 - One of the best
8 - Avoid
9 - One the best
10 - One of the best
10-2 - Avoid
11 - MMO
12 - Avoid
13 - Avoid
13-2 - If you HAVE to play any of the 13 games, this is it...but avoid
13-3 - Avoid
14 - MMO
15 - Avoid

Is FF9 good if I played 7 and it felt dated? I liked 10 a lot. Should I just play 12?

Exactly, your opinion doesn't matter.
Now lurk two more years before posting anything again, and play some videogames instead of just talking about them.

X also has a Steam version.
store.steampowered.com/app/359870/FINAL_FANTASY_XX2_HD_Remaster/

People sure do have very strong and very different opinions about the FF games.

i didn't like it at first but i went back and finished it not long ago, its not as bad as most say but its a but mediocre

It's an eternal debate.

Retard. I bet your idea of FF4 comes from the Remake.
FFIV introduced the ATB battle system. It's clear the developers were really excited about that and the content is very well-designed around it. The only real problem is that there's a lot of unrealized potential due to the linearity of the game (which you can see if you play the Free Enterprise hack). But there are a lot of memorable boss encounter designs, with a variety of features that were notable at the time. Many of the bosses have state changes, changing resistances, counter-attacks dependent on the type of attack, and so on. Furthermore, FF4 is actually reasonably balanced game and isn't loaded down with a shit-ton of massively overpowered gimmicks, meaning that you're more likely to actually make the most of the core combat gameplay rather than just finding the most broken build possible.

The game does NOT get bogged down by story, so long as you aren't playing the DS version with its pointlessly drawn-out voice-acted cutscenes. Cutscenes are typically no more than 2-5 minutes and only occur in-between lengthy sessions of a normal explore/combat gameplay cycle. Major event cutscenes are reserved for major plot twists and story climaxes like the Leviatan attack and the Giant of Babil scene. All told there might be an hour and a half of cutscenes in the whole (20 hour) game, compared to something like 4+ hours for FF6 and 10+ hours for FF7 and later games. Meanwhile, battle transitions are blazing fast. You can run away from combat instantly and suffer minimal delays, so even though the random encounters can be annoying they're also not nearly as annoying as they become in later games.

True although wherever you'll ask you'll find that VI, VII, IX and X will be named mostly as games that are worth something.
Some of the other installments have some loud fans but they're not sane.

>FF4 - Steam 3D ver - same as 3
definitely a no on this one.
For best experience here play SFC version with a translation, or if you can find the SNES version with the J-content restored that works too. PSP version looks OK but I haven't played it. Avoid the GBA version at all costs and only play the DS/Steam versions after playing the original.

FFIX basically pushed the PS1 as hard as it could graphically and I don't think it looks dated at all. You should give it a try.

>But I want to start. Which one should I play first?
one of the SNES games (4/5/6)

> Are there any that should be avoided?
2, 13, and 15

>is it at least worth a try?
If you can get 15 for cheap. Just be aware that it's Gameplay is Hold O to win and the story is unfinished and part of the story is in a fucking CGI movie and Multiplayer DLC

Attached: FF tiers.png (1280x732, 366K)

For the most part, they're all solid JRPGs, but some of them stick out as classics.
The atmosphere, artstyle, and soundtracks are some of the best out there. I personally love the series because they go consistently beyond the standard Tolkien fantasy tropes and consistently create (relatively) unique settings and creatures.

What does the JP SNES version have over the DS version?

>another faggot triggered by fake-out deaths in a story for 10 year olds.
Jesus Christ grow up.
FFIV has a fun little story that is well-integrated with the game.

I meant the gameplay more than the graphics. How's the gameplay?
What annoyed me in FF7 was that UI feels kinda laggy and enemy can attack on your turn.
Are those issues improved in 9?

>enemy can attack on your turn

Well yeah, that's how the ATB system works. Think of enemies as having their own ATB bars that might fill faster than yours based on stats. IV through IX pretty much all operate on this system.

>It doesn't really feel like a Final Fantasy game.
I think it's kind of strange how they marketed XV as an entry point for newcomers to the series. I think ideally for a game to be an "entry point" it should more or less resemble the other titles in the series so if someone wishes to pick up other titles they won't start it up and wonder why it's nothing like the alleged "entry point". In FFXV's case, it's literally nothing at all like previous entries in terms of graphics, combat, world design, etc. In other words, I think someone who started off with XV (lol) would feel very confused if they were to pick up older entries.

FFVII & FFIII are the best ones

>Retard. I bet your idea of FF4 comes from the Remake.
I played both.

>long list of things not related to the story or my point
Okay?

>The game does NOT get bogged down by story, so long as you aren't playing the DS version with its pointlessly drawn-out voice-acted cutscenes. Cutscenes are typically no more than 2-5 minutes and only occur in-between lengthy sessions of a normal explore/combat gameplay cycle.
But I wasn't complaining it was bogged down by story. But that the story events, when they come, get in the way of gameplay. And they're dumb on their own. Even if the scenes are short, they're trying way too hard to be serious and "impacting." But when every scene tries to dial it up to eleven with death scenes and plot twists, it becomes the opposite. The first time you see someone die? "Wow, that sucks." But the seventh time the game pulls this stunt? "Sigh, this is getting old. Who isn't going to die in this game?" And to make things worse, half those characters get magically revived anyway.

Gotcha death scenes are a common trope in anime and FFIV was just copying that. And nearly every other plot event is also a common trope found in shounen/shoujo anime. And other games/anime did them better. This is how we can judge FFIV as a bad story even though it was one of the earliest story based games. And the fact that so many later FF games used the same tropes, despite having huge budgets and no longer being an "early" game.

FFIV is just a bad story that overtakes the gameplay.

FFIX's battle system is slower, animations take long. Your issue could have been helped by setting the system from "active" to "wait" though in the config menu. That way enemies don't attack while you're busy in the menu.

I agree except I give 12 a pass too, not the strongest in the series but I feel like the true decline in quality was after 12. And also honorable mention to Final Fantasy Tactics for being one of the best in its respective genre (Tactical-RPG).

>What does the JP SNES version have over the DS version?
They're almost completely different games. It would take a long time to explain as they're both good games, but it's an apples/oranges comparison. If you have any interest in understanding why FF4 became such a popular game in the first place, and why the DS version even exists, you should play the original first.

Some simple things:

- The voice-acting sucks and drags down the pace of the game.
- Maps are too zoomed-in to see anything (pic-related)
- Battle pacing is different. One of the most striking things about the original SNES FF4 is the speed of the battles (transitions, etc.). DS isn't FF9 bad or anything, but it's not exceptional like the original.
- All the abilities and bosses and items are balanced differently in the new version. Even though they have the same names and do the same basic things, the actual numbers and scales and such are all different, and in many cases the details are designed to surprise people familiar with the original.

Attached: ff4-steam-snes-compare.jpg (1488x1744, 614K)

if you're going to get stuck on the "character's die" trope there's really nothing to talk about, unless you can point me to whatever dumbass youtuber started this meme. It's a minor issue at best and certainly does not have jack shit to do with gameplay or a claim of "style over substance."

>>long list of things not related to the story or my point
>Okay?
also:
Your point was "style over substance" and I brought up gameplay because theoretically it is a fucking videogame and the gameplay is related to substance.

Thanks for the informed reply. I remember enjoying the VO when I first played the DS version, personally, but that was years and years ago when it first came out. Other than that, I understand what you're getting at.

So?

FF1-6 Remasters for ps4 when?

I might be a bit of a boomer about the voice acting, it's probably not THAT bad.

>if you're going to get stuck on the "character's die" trope there's really nothing to talk about, unless you can point me to whatever dumbass youtuber started this meme.
I've been pointing it out to people before youtube existed. And like I said, it's a trope they took from anime and media before FF existed. Hell, Gundam/Ideon was doing it in the 1970s. And it was bad in that show as well. So Final Fantasy doing the same thing makes it bad.

>It's a minor issue at best and certainly does not have jack shit to do with gameplay or a claim of "style over substance."
>It's a minor issue
The game tries to make these events the most important in the game. You claiming it's a 'minor issue' is you admitting the games story is crap. When the most important scenes are trivial. And they absolutely impact gameplay because the characters, and their skills, leave the party. If the characters leaving the party doesn't impact anything...then the characters and their skills are useless.

And I provided many examples of how FFIV (and the whole series) focuses on story/graphics over gameplay. Saying "they added ATB!" doesn't mean the other flaws disappear. They add a new gameplay mechanic to every FF game. But it still takes a back seat to story. Take FFX for example. Graphics are amazing. But they'll spend a month making a chocobo look amazing...then less than a day programming and playtesting that mini game using that model. Where the chocobo has such horrible movement that it frustrates players to no end. Same thing happens across the FF series, with main game content and side content.

>And they absolutely impact gameplay because the characters, and their skills, leave the party.
I'm not any of the people you're getting into a shitflinging competition with, but the constantly switching and rotating party was one of the things I liked about the game and the effect it had on the gameplay.

>11
>often criticized
the fuck you talking about

Fuck FF, play the chaddest JRPG series, Dragon Quest.

Attached: 1559768481570.png (468x831, 242K)

Wasn't FF11 coming to PS4?

It's an MMO. It's often ignored when talking about the final fantasy series

And a lot of people like it. It's clearly one of the most popular FF games. But I didn't. Their reasons for having characters leave the party become more and more ridiculous over time. I mean, this is a game where one idiot sacrifices himself when all they needed to do was get a door open. Two of them sacrifice themselves just to stop some walls...when you have skills to get out of a room OR blow up the walls. And another sacrifices himself just to "stall for time." Two horrible cliches at the same time.

And ALL of them later come back to life, making those scenes have even less of an impact.

Redpill based Slav nigga here to enlighten you
Skip all FF except Crisis Core and XV
XV is THE best FF ever, don't listen to VII niggas, it's a just a meme.
You'll fall in love with XV, I guarantee you.
Also PRAISE THE SUN

Attached: VVpSUpFnCYI.jpg (1919x1079, 665K)

FFVI, VII and VIII are by far the most criticized and scrutinized FF games. There isn't a consensus in the fanbase, because of how divisive the FF formula is.

Didn't read the thread, but I'll try to help you user. Do you enjoy oldschool JRPGs or more modern ones?
For Oldschool I'd recommend 1 and 4, for something more modern with a nice story, 6, 7, 9 and 10. If you like Job system like DQIII play 5.

Yes, I agree that the plot is quite silly, especially in retrospect, I just don't think it negatively impacted the gameplay.

Forget FF for the time being and just play Chrono Trigger. It's not the best JRPG, but it's the best entry level JRPG.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on Type-0?
I am baited by the setting and designs but steam ratings are mediocre at best. Need an FF maniac here to explain if it's good or bad

>FFVI, VII and VIII are by far the most criticized and scrutinized FF games.

don't forget XIII and XV

Type 0 is okay but suffers from some issues such as:
Half the story being lokced behind New Game+
If you don't bring the right people, some missions an suck ass
Have to properly gear/level FOURTEEN characters
Inactive characters get 0 EXP

All the FF games cause major complaints and arguments. I'm just saying VI, VII and VIII lead to the most. FFXV wouldn't even be remembered if FFXV Kun didn't keep bringing it up. And FFXIII is mostly just remembered as 'lost potential: the game' and 'Lightning sucks.' But it isn't talked about 1/100th as much as the others.

I really don't understand why XV gets so much shit from limp-dicked VII fans here, it's really good. Ofc it's not FF as they know it- not turnbased, not shitty graphics, not stupid and not shit but man, it's good

>I really don't understand why XV gets so much shit from limp-dicked VII fans here

>he thinks only FF7 fans hate 15 for it's unfinished story, empty open world, DLCs out of the ass, and Hold O combat system

Attached: laughing2.jpg (632x483, 253K)

>Half the story being lokced behind New Game+
Man I HATE shit like this, but thanks I think after finishing TLR I'll try it

>Man I HATE shit like this

I will take story locked behind NG+ over story locked behind DLC any day of the week.

True