Dragon Quest

What DQ are you secondaries playing now that "Hero" was announced for Smash?

Attached: DQIII.jpg (1200x823, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendoeverything.com/japanese-dragon-quest-fans-choose-their-favorite-game-monster-character/
youtube.com/watch?v=qtTMAwagkeQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dragon Warrior 3. Grew up with it and I legit freaked when I saw the Erdrick skin. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

I'm playing the first one on my phone. It's pretty fun.

replaying V again

God, I hope so badly he isn't overpowered like the others.

>shit all over the idea of a DQ hero in Smash
>now they want to play the games
I fucking want to kill them.
Smashtards are the worst.

i finished dq7 the other day
i'll buy builders when it comes out and then 11s

I've been wanting to try getting into this series for a while. Seems like a good excuse. Are the NES ones still good to play? Or are there superior remakes I should play instead?

DS has IX and good remakes of 4, 5 and 6, 3DS has remakes of 7 and 8, and I believe either the Gameboy Color or the SNES are the definitive versions of the 1-3 trilogy.

What a time to be alive as a DQ fan.

Attached: 1546664213079.jpg (259x198, 10K)

I&II on SNES
III on SNES
IV on Android (party chat)
V on DS or PS2
VI on DS
VII on 3DS
VIII on PS2
IX on DS
XI on Switch (until the obvious PS4/PC version)

but the VIII 3DS one is good and has extra shit though

GBC or SNES huh? That's a pretty weird choice to make for which one to play. Hm. Thanks user!

Monsters Joker 2

Attached: 1534811538291.jpg (382x382, 40K)

Trying to play Elusive Age on my laptop but it's graphically intensive and laggy as hell.

I'm gonna get DQ11S when it comes out. Closest I've ever gotten to the series was Fortune Street, so hopefully 11 can get me into it.

Oh that's also helpful. Thanks. I would figure 1-3 on NES would require a walkthrough because... It's NES... But how does it hold up on SNES? Pretty self contained?

1-3 were remade for SNES, so play those versions. GBC is bad because of the small screen size, which gets really annoying when trying to navigate. SNES versions are visually nicer as well.

I only played and beat the fan translated Japanese SNES version of DQ1.
I started DQ2 but it was almost literally the same, but it makes sense since it's on the same Japanese SNES collection with DQ1.
Maybe I'll go through it over the weekend so I can play the fan translated Japanese SNES version of DQ3.

Attached: 98DC4C8E42C24C35A6613A2AD1B79E60.jpg (2020x897, 430K)

I replayed the Phone versions of 1-3, and I think they are the best versions. I know you faggots are going to judge me but they are actually pretty fantastic ports not like that stupid shit they pulled with FF ports.

Probably DQ3, Erdrick seems cool.

VIII was made with the idea of making a DQ with the scale of an actual RPG with great visuals.
It's still a beautiful game on PCSX2 and should be experienced that way.

Attached: 1557288836886.jpg (1939x1090, 444K)

3. Currently grinding Metal Slimes.

I started playing 8 again last week

premonition kicked in

I should really play V. Played VII, VIII XI and started VI but never finished it

I'm working on platinum for Heroes 2. It's OK but 1 is better in every way, the new additions are nothing or make it worse, and everything is way more damage spongy.

HYPE AS FUCK FOR BUILDERS 2

Is "Dragon Warriors Monster" any good Yea Forums?

Got intrigued since apparently this game was inspired by pokemon.

1 and 2 are fine on mobile, but 3 is worse since it removes animations, a minigame, and a bonus dungeon.

I don't think you will need one for I and III.
Maybe you should read a guide about the classes of DQIII since you make your own party at the start of the game.
There is a point in DQII where you have to explore the whole map to find a few things to get to the final area and there is absolutely no help to know where to go, so maybe check a walkthrough at this point (it's when you get a boat if I remember right).

It's Pokemon with DQ monsters but slightly worse presentation and better gameplay. It's probably the best Pokemon JRPG spin off since SMT mostly shit the bed with Demi-kids.

Yeah, the animation loss sucked, but I was never a fan of the monster medals or the bonus dungeon personally. I can totally see why someone would want them.

Rocket Slime is unironically the best DQ game.

Attached: !!e!UL4gEGM~$(KGrHqJ,!kwE0FDWzu(eBNP3!GvqLQ~~_1.jpg (297x266, 52K)

Yes, it's a whole subseries and people like it a lot. The first game got remade for 3DS as "Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D" and has a fan translation.

DQM1: 3DS (fan translation)
DQM2: GBC
DQMJ: DS
DQMJ2: DS
DQMJ3: 3DS (fan translation)

Play IV before V.
IV = best party of the whole series.
V = best story of the whole series.

Attached: 1545484133420.jpg (800x752, 557K)

In a world where you can bring someone back to life by paying a donation to the church, why are cutscene deaths treated a big deal?
At least in V, the protagonist's dad's
permadeath was justified because he got burnt to fucking cinders.

Attached: 250px-Bianca&Hero.png (250x232, 134K)

III and 7 are the only DQ games left I have yet to beat.
I got bored of 7 by groundhog's day town and I can't find the motivation to start up 3.

game mechanis =/= story events

>I can't find the motivation to start up 3
You will enjoy those doujins a lot after playing it.

Attached: 1529089947813.jpg (1280x895, 306K)

Can someone tell me why the SNES version of DW3 is usually less recommended than the SNES version? Figured the GBC version would be the definitive version of the game.

Wow, I messed that up. "Can someone tell me why the GBC version is usually less recommended than the SNES version."

Because you're following a canon storyline and that means your party members can't actually die unless they have to in the story. Churches in the actual world of the game can't resurrect dead people, it's just a system for the player.

To be fair, removing the minigame kinda balances the game since now some items are limited to 1 only, especially the female-only equipment

SNES looks better, that's it

Visuals.

Bought DQ1 yesterday morning and finished it by the evening. Just started 2 now.

I am playing the waiting game
Rocket slime 1 and 3 fantranslation fucking when?

Good boy.
Release order is the way of the Chad.

Attached: 1543007884189.jpg (700x985, 357K)

Playing order:
VIII PS2
VI DS - didn't finish
IX
V PS2
Currently playing III SNES
Which DQ game should I play next?

Have always wanted to get into the series since I played IX with pals when I was younger, absolutely loved it, but never did aside from being sort of interested in XI.
Which DQ games have a job system/customisation like IX? That was probably the thing I enjoyed most, aside from the multiplayer.

Ive never played any of them. I feel the need to autistically play them in release order though. Is it worth it?

IV

Attached: 1548046202250.jpg (1287x1800, 1.34M)

>NOOOOOOO PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO ENJOY GAMES

III. VI and VII both have job systems, but you only control pre-established characters.

1, 2 and 7 are legit the make or break for release order play. 1 is tedious with 1 party member combat. 2 is frustrating in general with little to no progress satisfaction and 7 is great just super fucking long.

I played the first one on my iPhone™ 5, finished it and enjoyed it. Started the second one too but got bored like 5 hours in.
Tried Dragon Quest 7 and I cried myself to tears out of boredom, it is hands down without doubt the worst JRPG I have ever had the misfortune of playing.

So I concluded that the series is actually trash, and those who like it have shit taste and wrong opinions.

>Which DQ games have a job system/customisation like IX?
X, but it's a Japanese-only MMO. III and VI are quite customizeable but not really the same thing as IX.

7 has the worst opening of any Dragon Quest game and even the 3DS remake only cuts it down and doesn't really improve it.

I wish Square Enix would release DQ I-III in the west again like they did in Japan two years ago

>7 has the worst opening of any Dragon Quest game and even the 3DS remake only cuts it down and doesn't really improve it.
You can say that again, so much "buildup" and "exposition" for an extremely uninteresting world. I was around 15 hours just hitting attack after attack because there wasn't much else to do and apparently I haven't even unlocked classes yet.
Fuck this shit, maybe it becomes a bit less trash 40 hours in, but pardon me for not wanting to stick it out and find out if it's true or not.

Is 11s coming to pc or ps4 confirmed?

Are they worth it? Are the games connected at all to make playing in order beneficial?

>rereleased for the Wii, 3DS and PS4
>lol Japan only

Yeah, can't fault you there, but DQ7 is the outlier really. 2 isn't that hot either but that's because it's super similar to 1.

Thanks, guess I'll try out III then VI, maybe VII but people in the thread seem to say it's a slog, so I might avoid that one.

just downloaded all the roms so i figure i will start at 1 and work thru them all

Yeah and the rest of the world is stuck with a MOBILE version of those games

No not particularly, I imagine the one connection between 1-3 has already been spoiled for you so fuck that shit and start with 3, then play any order you want really.

Im reinstalling Rivals

Yes
But start with 4 anyways

No and Id not expect it

Played 1,3, and 5 when i was in middle school on a emulator i kept on a flash drive. one day it wiped and i never finished 3,5, and lunar 2. got far enough i don't want to replay the beginning of them again.

Its fine really since i been holding off getting 11 on the pc to get it on the switch instead.

Playing 3 on GBC but i stopped for a few days since Cadence of Hyrule is here

I just started playing 3, i reached the second town and now im kinda lost

What is the one connection? I actually have no idea.
First 3 arent worth it?

Builders 2. In a month

Replaying 5 and 8.

3s protagonist is the legendary hero mentioned in 1-2. 1s protagonist is also like the founding father of the new towns in 2. 1s whole map exists in both 2 and 3. Other than that the rest of the games typically have no connection. 3 is the only worthwhile play in the original trilogy though.

>I wanna play DQ which one do I start with?
Number fucking 1. It's short, inoffensive, simple and you can play it on your phone. I'd tell you to skip it, but playing it is a requirement to understand the main twist of DQ3.
DQ2 can be skipped somewhat safely, it does introduce a lot of mechanics and setpieces that would become mainstays in DQ games, but it doesn't realise those things particularly well. The game feels a bit bloated, like they ran out of content halfway through development and still wanted to make the game longer. Also it requires some hard fucking grinding closer to the end. It's also relatively disconnected from the plot of the Erdrick trilogy, being the latest in the timeline. So just skip it unless you're looking for a history lesson rather than a fun vidya experience.
DQ3 is a shining jewel and a massive leap forward for the series, PLAY IT.
There's only one problem with it - the version choice. The choice is between the mobile version and the fan-translated SNES remake (because the remake was never officially released in the west). Mobile version features a good localisation (arguably), an option of auto-combat and it highlights items hidden in the cities and dungeons with little sparkles. The remake has animated monster sprites, a somewhat fun boardgame style minigame, you HAVE to class switch into a thief at some point just to learn a spell that helps you find aforementioned hidden items, and the fan translation is janky as fuck, a fact that will probably impact you if you're trying to beat the game without walkthroughs.
It's a shame that we don't have the "definitive" version of the best DQ out there, but that's how it is, make your choice. Or just play both versions, I did that.
After 3 just play them all in order, they're all great to good, with part 6 being the lowest point of the series past part 2 (still decent, but you'll learn to fucking hate the game if you try to get deep into the modified class switching system).

Attached: 1540537871871.jpg (600x678, 318K)

3 is definitely worth it, but if you don't wanna fuck with older games start with 4. Everyone says start with 5, but it's the second part of the Zenithian trilogy and it's plot loses a lot of punch without the context provided by 4. And plot is the only reason to play 5, gameplay in that one isn't stellar.

Attached: 1540140484382.jpg (558x789, 223K)

In the southwest cave on that island there's a key that you can use to get into the tower you can see from the castle

You mean the one to the north of the starting one? That's what I mean by better localisation on the mobile version, in that one hints are always clear. You need to get to the tower that's in the middle of an island and get a key from an old dude that's on top of it. Explore the island until you find the cave that leads there, you can't miss it. There's also a sekrit passage in the woods, if you can see an empty spot in the forest that's it that advice also applies to a certain bit of part 5.
Also get a martial artist for the second spot instead of a warrior. Martial artists are golden golds and warriors are lame agility-less moneysinks.

Attached: 1545279566265.png (276x176, 39K)

NEVER
FUCKING
EVER

Attached: Dragon Quest X All in One ver 1-4.jpg (600x600, 121K)

Ahh very cool. Thank you.

What's the best version of 3?

Nothing. I finished a replay of VII last year and and now patiently waiting for DQXI for the Switch since I held off on it for so long even when it's available on other platforms.
Glad people are getting into this series though if the reveals in Smash lead to that.

I already fapped to them.
DQ3 party members don't have any characters or backstory so I wasn't all that bothered to play their gane first like I did with DQ XI and jade doujins.

Kino builders

Attached: dqb23.jpg (1280x720, 184K)

If only someone already talked about that at length five posts above yours.

CHADason

Attached: DQMBRV_-_Hero_-_V.png (217x278, 60K)

Completed DQ1 yesterday, SNES version with translation patch, skipped DQ2 however due to the translation having a bug so i'm doing DQ3 SNES now

I've only ever played the she's remakes of the erdrick trilogy. I started the mobile port of iv but the fucking dialogue is so off putting, why do they talk like that!?

I might give the NEW version a shot. Trying to play the NEW version of the erdrick trilogy but II is kicking my ass.

I'd like to try 11. It's really the only modern DQ game that's readily available to me unless Square announced some ports like they did for FF.

>not calling him Abel

Attached: 1546475273170.jpg (500x747, 50K)

you can easily emulate 1-9 on basically any computer, only one you'd have trouble with is the 3DS version of VII.

>why do they talk like that
It gets much better after Ragnar's chapter. The accents stay all the way though, every DQ is localised like that nowadays, even 11.
BAIRNS

Attached: 1539987138353.jpg (763x743, 237K)

Fuck me auto correct.F

She 's = SNES
NEW = NES

>any computer
Great, I'll keep that in mind for when I'm no longer a poorfag mobile poster

>Mainline numbered title is an MMO
>Final Fantasy has two of these

I will always hate this, now and forever.

Roto is pure

Attached: 1550668115131.jpg (559x800, 43K)

The DQ really like to put in accents in the gane, but they really went overboard with it in IV.
It's less obnoxious in later sa titles and bearable to kinda charming in VIII and XI, because there are actual voices with accents instead of just awkwardly flavored text.

Attached: 4d9.png (512x448, 475K)

They are I just think 4 is a perfect entry point because it was mine
Play 4 then 5 first is what I always reccomend

Starting at 1 and playing in release order like you should always do when starting a new series.

Call him whatever you like

He's still Chad all the same

Attached: 1546658480676.gif (813x665, 123K)

Why did they turn Yamcha into a girl?

Attached: bandit boy.jpg (640x480, 29K)

I mean, you can play FFXI as a solo game now and XIV is taking steps towards that, but obviously it's still their active cashcow mmo so it's not gonna be completely soloable until they move on.

Seconding this
I am pretty sure the creator himself said that IV is the best starting point.
Be sure to play the android/IOS version though.
IV, V and VI are also a connected trilogy, but far more loosely than the first 3 games.

i gotta get back to VIII, once that’s done I can say I’ve beaten 1-9

>because there are actual voices with accents
crikey

Martial artists are the baddest fuckers in DQ universe.

Attached: 1539969273506.png (400x450, 51K)

M I S C H I E F

Attached: 1560496752093.png (406x770, 142K)

Alena would kick Yamcha's ass

crikey

Attached: thanks gemma.png (1631x700, 2.62M)

Rocket Slime 3 translation never ever ;_;

CHILDHOOD FRIEND POWER SUPREME
I hope none of yall fuckers picked any non-childhood friend thots as your wives.

Attached: 1556420111870.jpg (766x1000, 166K)

Is there a reason to keep her charm equipped once other accessories start catching up to it? I've kept it on assuming it'll be used later in the game for something.

It's the gift of your beloved childhood friend, why would you even think of taking it off?

Ok, i should probably get the android version, thanks for the advice

Attached: 1537586916409.png (318x450, 96K)

>replaying DQV
>can't remember why I didn't like Bianca
>meet her again
>HEY REMEMBER THE TIME WE EXPLORED THE HAUNTED MANSION AS KIDS HAHA
>remember why I don't like Bianca

>Started playing through the series a few months ago so I could get caught up on lore before XI on Switch.
>Loving it to pieces
>Then this happens

I was unironically more hype for DQ4 protag being in smash than for any other reveal besides maybe Richter.

Attached: C65F0B38-541C-4B7C-916D-4DB61A9BB597.jpg (400x400, 84K)

Sorry mate.
Once I went with Deborah I never looked back.
I can now finally see why the childhood friend always loses in anime/manga.

Attached: Dragon.Quest.V.full.184992.jpg (827x832, 600K)

It's honestly a bit of a toss-up whether the SNES one or the mobile one is better. SNES version looks better (animated monster sprites in battle), has an extra minigame and an extra dungeon. Mobile one has autocombat, arguably better localisation (those hints still need to be found by actively exploring every possible nook and cranny of every city though, if you played previous parts you should have that down though) and that's kinda it. If it was possible to combine the localisation of the mobile version with everything else from the SNES one that would be the definitive DQ3 experience. I can live with no autocombat.
And even then some people really dislike modern DQ localisations with all the silly accents and japanese towns always speaking in haikus and shit. I do geniunely think that the mobile version hints are easier to understand though.

Attached: 1555708823685.png (700x648, 807K)

Playing through the series for the first time so forgive me if I’m mistaken but according to IV postgame the church and magic in general can only reverse deaths that go against fate AKA you or party members dying before beating the villain. Fated deaths cannot be reversed outside of very specific and almost impossible means like that flower that blooms every 1000 years.

Attached: dqhate.png (1806x390, 143K)

>Solo isn't as strong and interesting as Sofia
>they are literally the same character
Did... did I miss something? Is Sofia stronger than Solo in DQ IV like how female party members are better in III due to gear, or is the tranny just making shit up?

>VIII on PS2
The battle speedup alone makes the 3DS version better. Probably shaves 10 hours of doing nothing alone.

No they're exactly the same. I've seen this user posted before. She's always bitchng about DQ not having a specifically female only Hero.

Attached: 1560276904986.png (1567x293, 75K)

There are some bits of female only gear in 4, yes, but it's not as extreme as 3 is with it's superior stats and loads of better equipment.

Ah, so regular Era shit, got it.

snes is the best version of course

For those looking at VII, a warning about the 3DS version: it has framerate issues and the menus are slow as fuck.

Downloaded 8 and 5(ps2 english translation) which one should i play first?

Attached: Puck.png (277x268, 65K)

>Kazooie is the lesser half of Banjo as far as moveset goes
Did she even play Banjo-Kazooie? Banjo's dead weight. It gets even more obvious in Tooie when you can split them up.

Attached: 1537769151654.jpg (1200x1600, 1.13M)

>5 PS2
Why? The DS version is superior.

I didn't do much research just saw there was a ps2 version and decided to download 8 and 5 for pcsx2

The inclusion of Erdrick in Smash, even as an alt character, is beyond shameful. Real DQ fans wanted that unpopular piece of shit out of Smash.

>I love the mechanics
>Cool moveset
>I can't play it because he has a dick
Are these people for real?

My based nigga

Madason...had a hard life.

Accursed Luminary! You have brought nothing but misery to the Smash realm. You are no Hero but a blight to all!

Attached: 1560468840227.jpg (1200x675, 96K)

Planning on replaying V for DS. Grew up with it and seeing Erdrick's alt made me want to go through it again

Attached: Abel.jpg (512x250, 86K)

DS version of 5 is much better.
8 PS2 is FF9-tier slow battles so use turbo liberally or play 8 3DS with restored sound patch, 3Ds Version has more gold after battles

Its not don't worry, at the very least its not a straight upgrade. 5 on PS2 is great

>gatekeeping one of the most popular RPG in the world
It's not our fault they never released DQ until 8 in yurop

At least we got Solo and Guv'. I was hoping for Summoner Abel/Madason but nice things just don't happen to that man.

>Number fucking 1. It's short, inoffensive, simple and you can play it on your phone
But I don't want to grind right away or play in a fucking phone.

Even Japan is enraged that Erdrick is in Smash over literally any of the other heroes who just shows up in the Final Smash. Really goes to show that Erdrick is truly the Corrin of Dragon Quest.

Oh, it's the anti-Erdrick guy from the Smash threads. What is your problem with him anyway?

What are the differences between Android and SNES for the original trilogy?

Attached: Man of Culture.jpg (1024x576, 51K)

You had me until you shit talked 6.

>Did a Resetera feminist play a video game they bitched about?
You answered your own question user

There's fuck all grinding in it, just reload whenever you die (because dying cuts your bank by 50 goddamn %) and you won't need to grind until you get to the final boss.

>DQ wasnt in europe until VIII
you let 13 years and a character reveal trailer later pass you by before getting in. if that doesnt apply to you, then fine, but nobody is gatekeeping you but yourself.

>android version
somebody lied to you. ur cheating urself if you dont play the actual good version

>posting the worst Dragon Quest with the worst Hero
I fucking hate you fake fans.

GBC
Don't listen to retards who tell you to use a patch or play the SNES version.
The GBC version of 3 is perfect and has more content.

He's DQ's equivalent of Charizard. There for oldfags who never moved on and resented by most everyone else.

Stop lying.

I just don't understand why you people are mad about people getting interested in the games.
Like, I don't even care about Smash and simply got reminded that this series exists

Graphic wise they are the same but the Android ports include orchestrsted music, new translations using the spell names from the new games, and the ability of playing them with one hand. I play them all the time while comutting, even standing.

Play the whole game with a Jester without class changing it.
Do it casual faggot.

>DQ's equivalent of Charizard
You mean Luminary, the one who's actually genuinely popular with DQ fans unlike Erdrick?

Unironically the Android port.

>play with one hand
How?

Erdrick's the Cloud of Dragon Quest. The protagonist everyone thinks of when they think of the series, and thus the one that gets the most promotion to the contempt of whiny faggots like the ones in this thread.

>I just don't understand why you people are mad about people getting interested in the games.
Probably because people have ridiculed the series for a long time.
Additionally, Square has always fucked dragon quest fans in the ass, and it's annoying that this surge in popularity will actually now start making them localize more, despite the many loyal fans they've had for a very long time.

No one likes smash fags

It was the same shit with castlevania

It's good if you completely ignore the vocation mechanics and just keep your characters on whatever seems lore appropriate while never going out of your way to actually utilise the system.
But I didn't, I tried getting into them hard. And I burned out so much I almost dropped the series. The decision to make vocations depend on battles completed in total rather than normal experience was the most retarded thing possible. Like the whole point of metal slimes is that they let you catch up on xp quickly, but there's no shortcuts in 6. I was in a hospital when I played the game, so I had nothing better to do and outside of doing normal main quests and shit I grinded for about 4 days in total, 3 of them right before the last dungeon, just trying to do the vocations I want.
And I still was nowhere close to getting the Hero class on anyone except the main character, who only has to do about 1/4th of the vocations required to reach it. In the original release of the game he didn't have that shortcut. I weep for people who had to play this shitpile before it was at least somewhat fixed.

Attached: 1538235359689.png (276x222, 17K)

>marriage in dqv
>"will you protect this woman, so long as they are revived from death by the church?"

Attached: 1082.gif (320x240, 1.05M)

>Even Japan is enraged that Erdrick is in Smash
Check out this Japanese popularity poll from 2010. Source: nintendoeverything.com/japanese-dragon-quest-fans-choose-their-favorite-game-monster-character/

# 1. “Hero” (Dragon Quest III)
# 2. Bianca (Dragon Quest V)
# 3. Alena (Dragon Quest IV)
# 3. Terry (Dragon Quest VI)
# 5. “Main Character” (Dragon Quest VIII)
# 6. “Main Character” (Dragon Quest V)
# 7. Yangus (Dragon Quest VIII)
# 8. Torneko (Dragon Quest IV)
# 8. Papas (Dragon Quest V)
# 10. Barbara/Ashlynn (Dragon Quest VI)

So you're complaining that Square is potentially going to stop fucking you in the ass?

If Erdrick was the Cloud of Dragon Quest, then how come literally nobody except for fake fans ever talked about him?

Attached: 432571351.png (1049x81, 16K)

I'm replaying DQ4 because it's my favorite and was planning to do it before the reveal anyway.
NES version because I cant stand the story changes or localization of the remake.

>Bianca
Based japs.
This post was made by CHILDHOOD FRIEND gang

There is something we need to clarify:
>Eleven: Brunette Android 17
>Erdirck: Sword Gohan
Who do Four/Solo and Eight resemble?

That'd be Mads or Guv. Erdrick's closer to Cecil. III sees push because the generation that grew up with it is currently helming the industry

I might give the DQ series a try, which ones are available on the 3ds, and are they the best versions of said games?

Stop posting this retarded bait every thread

7 and 8 are and 8 is probably the best entry point to the series.

Yes. Fuck Square. There's no reason we should have been getting fucked in the ass to begin with. DQ has had many fans in the west for a very long time.

It is weird how DQ3 feels so refreshing to me. The game isn't bogged down by the bullshit that permeates the genre so much these days. You are so focused on the management and exploration but can do as much or little as you want.

DQ 3 is peak Dragon Quest and the best game in the entire series, not counting spin offs.

Solo is green Goku
8 doesn't really look like any Dragon Ball character

Attached: Dragon-quest-VIII-Dragovian_Hero.jpg (1280x960, 664K)

This is more of an Enix problem tho

>plebs itt suggesting 3DS over PS2 VIII
Although 3DS had a lot of QoL additions, its still not worth it even with the orchestral music mod. The graphics took a big hit, most notably in the overworld. Exploring the map was my favorite part of the original game, and the sense of scale and adventure is seriously diminished in the 3DS port.

Also V is fine on PS2, the biggest thing DS adds is Deborah while PS2 has sexy orchestrated music for the whole game. The 3D models are a little uglier than the sprites in the DS versions but its not a huge deal, I'd say both versions are equal.

tl;dr this user knows whats up

>brown whores not in the top ten
I am surprised

Based Torneko though

Attached: 1558946238614.jpg (858x982, 635K)

Alright ill start with 8, thanks user!

Attached: dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king-official-sheet-musi-559159.1.jpg (1500x1500, 575K)

Because Western DQfags mostly talk about DQ V, VII and VIII?

Actually, Madason is the Cloud of Dragon Quest.

>I just don't understand why you people are mad about people getting interested in the games.
Not me, per se, but I understand where you're coming from. The thing about big announcements that lead to an influx of new interest is that the interest hardly ever seems genuine. People are only asking which one do they start with because the Hero is in Smash, and it took for the protagonists to be somewhere other than the games that have been localized before this to care now. I just dont care much for bandwagoning.

4, 5, 6, and 9 are on DS
7 and 8 are on 3DS
if you hack your 3DS you can emulate 1, 2 and 3, and load DS roms

Considering he said SNES for III, no, he doesn't know what's up. III should be played on GBC.

>the biggest thing DS adds is Deborah
You shouldn't be picking anyone other than Bianca anyway.

I am pleasantly suprised that Bianca managed to trounce Alena despite or maybe because of Kon the Knight.

It sounds like a (you) problem, honestly. I agree the vocation system isn't great tho', I just never had any problems with it.

I have my 3ds hacked, will probably play those too eventually, I didn't know you could load DS Roms, when I tried GBA Roms they were running at 20fps or so

Any in the switch right now you guys would suggest?

Is there still not a hack of IV DS that adds party chat back in? You'd think with how autistic the DQ fanbase is they'd have done that already.

Have you ever tried reaching hero on anyone other than the main character? Just read up on the list of vocations required to do so and try to imagine the unholy scope of grinding required to do that. Not to mention that it makes all the advanced vocations unconnected to the hero requirement fucking useless. The system was great in 3 and got completely broken in 6, there's no way I can call it a good game.

Switch doesn't have any DQ games right now in English. A fantastic spin-off is coming next month (DQ Builders 2), and Dragon Quest XI Definitive in a few months.

The whole party is on the DS/3DS line

None because I've played Dragon Quest before.

don't recommend the DS version of IV, it has no party chat, which was added back in its iOS/Android port

Party Chat adds a lot to every DQ game from IV-VIII (and probably XI, haven't played it).

In VIII your party members have something to say per new town/area or after any story event and cutscene. In IV and even more so in V they have something to say for all that before as well as every NPC you talk to. Spam that party chat button always

Attached: 1560280195055.png (2075x2050, 1.75M)

You can emulate most of the franchise on your phone, and play VII, VIII and IX on your 3DS.

Same here. I'm on 9 right now, had my friend get a copy so we could play co-op together. I wish 5 or 6's hero got in as one of the playable models, but 3's is still pretty sick.

The games are locked in portrait mode, and you can do absolutely everything in game with just one thumb. As an RPG, you don't need reflexes or some shit.

Try them user, literally download an APK right now.

III for GBC's been on my backlog for a while now, but I've already started on Final Fantasy VII recently and I don't like splitting game time between two JRPGs at once.

Dragon Quest III on GBC was also very nearly my first JRPG as a kid, so I'm even gonna use Erdrick in Smash purely in honor of that.

Builders 1 is on Switch in English now

I never really liked Dragon Quest.

>Have you ever tried reaching hero on anyone other than the main character?
Nope. That's why I had no problems with it. And like I said, I agree it's not a good system. I loved everything else about the game too.

his point wasn't about that

The 3DS essentially has a DS built into it that allows you to run DS carts. It wasn't possible before to load DS roms, but if you're up to date then it's possible.
If you install GBA games to the actual 3DS menu like the Ambassador GBA games (using .cia files like any other 3DS game), they should run at their native fps like they would on a DS, because again, you have a DS built into the system and the built-in emulator for the Ambassador GBA games uses this.

Builders is out but you might as well wait for Builders 2 in a month. They aren't direct sequels and the fun is more in the exploration and town building than the story, and DQB2 is better in pretty much every way.

>Spam that party chat button always
No, fuck off, that's an easy way to completely ruin the pacing of the game and make it feel like a slog. Nobody listen to this faggot.

she's got that "I want to have sex with my brother" look on her face

Oh yeah, forgot about that since I played the original on the Playstation when it launched. Getting the Switch version though for 2, I want to play it in bed.

So installing Cias of those with FBI makes them work like normal 3ds games?

Any DQ hacking projects aren't really discussed openly any more ever since the guys that were doing DQVII 3DS got a cease and desist from Square. Obviously that was because they were bringing it over in English officially, but they scared off most people from trying things out in the open.

Attached: 1560515696010.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

Playing 3 mobile, died a bunch of times to the mob gangrapes before I found out I had to hire a party, pretty cool after that, I still have no idea why so many people love it, I hope there's some really good shit later on

>Munchie Gohan
Fucking kek.

It's kind of annoying that if people want a tolerable translation of DQ they have to secretly make a hack for it.

Yeah it gets good later on
Well hopefully you played 1 first

Yes, it's like running any virtual console game on the 3DS. People have injected most of the english GBA library into cia files and anything that's missing you can just do yourself with a simple injection tool iirc.

Basically using an emulator uses the 3DS cpu as best as it can to emulate a GBA while using Nintendo's virtual console uses the DS cpu which is built specifically for DS and GBA games, so you'll get better results with that. Only issue is that you have to actually save your game instead of using save states.

I don't necessarily think she's wrong, normally Smash is good about having female alts but this time the ball was dropped. Especially when they had space for 4 more alts. And I think you should like the character you're playing as and not just because they're good

DQ4 guy looks badass to me though, 8 guy isn't too shabby either.

is there a prepatched 3ds cia for 8 that restores the orchestra and removes censoring? i don't care about dub or sub

VII is a slog because it takes like 20 hours to get to the job system.

VIII because I had it previously downloaded. I've tried playing Dragon Quest games before but didn't get into them. Openly advocated and predicted a DQ rep in Smash

Are they all this grindy? In an RPG I'm usually competent enough that as long as I fight every monster from point A to point B and have decent amounts of healing items, I find I am adequately leveled and rarely die (using FFVI, FFVII and ChronoTrigger as benchmarks). I died the second I encountered something in the Waterfall Cave despite being full health.

I'm pretty new to ps2 emulation. How to I get it to not look so pixely?

Will do then. Not huge on mobile gaming but I'll give it a go.

You get a stronger one later on, but you don't need to have it equipped.

In an average DQ there's basically two grinds: early game grind, and late game just before the final boss grind. The rest of the time you usually just run from random encounters.

Have a good computer and upscale the internal resolution.

I played through DQ1 back in Jan. I'm waiting for a rainy day to start 2.

played it years ago and didn't even get very far, from 1 to 10 how much do I need to have played it?

>Are they all this grindy?
The start of VIII is notoriously bad for that shit; iirc not even the rest of the game is that bad. But with VIII since the "world map" is to scale I think they expect you to spend A LOT of time exploring every nook and cranny and balanced enemies to account for that

Or you don't run from encounters and only ever need post-game grind

7/10. You don't strictly need to but it does make it way better.

Alright so since it was just the first Quest, dying a couple of times is normal right?

So I should actually be running around the world a little more rather than running straight to the objective?

You should probably reload whenever you die, since your gold is halved every time it happens. That can lengthen the grind by a lot.

I don't agree with her sentiment, but I do agree that it'd have been great to get Sophia in there as well

Attached: DQ4 hero.png (1500x1125, 2.72M)

I've beaten all the numbered DQ games except 8 and the postgame of 6. I got around 30 hours deep into the 3DS remake of 8, just after beating Dhoulmagus for the first time and continuing along with the game's second act. I might just look up a FAQ and pick up where I left off, since I don't have the energy to start 8 from the beginning again after having played all the other mainline DQ games released to the west.

I don't have the same nostalgia placed on 8 as I do 9, so it's harder for me to understand why people claim it's one of the best in the series.

Attached: 1556727706762.png (250x333, 190K)

guess I'll check it out, I bought it on android when it came out and still haven't played that either

Actually I can barely play any RPG in the past years, DQ5 was my favorite because I emulated it as a teen and still I can't stomach to replay it again today

Yeah its in the /hbg/ pastebin on /vg/
I still think PS2 is the better version though

Yeah, the best way to play VIII is to take your time and explore the world as much as possible. If you see a neat looking area then go scope it out and there will probably be a chest or rare monster.
If you're playing the PS2 version this gets easier once you get the world map and can better see interesting areas.

I mean, I love 80s/90s anime leotards so I'd be happy too, but that would mean more models for Soccerguy to do, I'm surprised we already got 4 models rather than 7 recolours.

Honestly I don't think there's anything wrong with playing 1 and 2 on an emulator with some mild speedup. You could beat it in 2-3 sittings that way.

If she was in, they would complain about her outfit anyway.

Attached: 1530980282794.jpg (1200x1165, 736K)

I could totally acknowledge the fact that the PS2 game is likely better (that emulation screenshot was beautiful) but my situation lends me to only practically being able to play such a lengthy game on 3DS. I've been blessed this summer and work a job where I can just play vidya

I'm still trying to get through DQ1. I like it but I don't know how much I need to grind because the jump in enemy difficulty is fucking retarded. I'm lvl 12 now and I'm going into that destroyed village and getting my ass handed to me. BTW playing the iOS version (which is honestly pretty great) because it's more convenient than playing it on GBC which is how I was originally gonna play it.

Been playing VIII for the first time and in all honesty it feels like its trying to be unfair at times

>Not only do you lose all your progress at death but half your gold as well. Bit unbalanced for less skilled players since having more money to buy more items to help has always been the way to even the playing field
>Have an item that allows you to instantly travel back to any town to allow for grinding. Doesn't work in dungeons, so even if you try to make progress but play it safe and start back from town, it won't allow you and you have to run out the dungeon and probably die if you don't have escape yet. even then it depends on your mana level. Either you're grinding in the overworld or you're making progress in the story. You can never do both.
>Get spells when you level up but you don't get mana with the spell so you have to go back to town before you can even use your first spell. You are rewarded with this ability but you're not allowed to try it out

I'm enjoying the game but it seems like its using these rules to pad out the difficulty and make the playtime longer.

You mean the one in the desert? Did you already explore the right side of the map? My memory is hazy, but you might be expected to go there first. But yeah, I still remember the first time I ran into a chimera.

DQV's dialog is horrible,if they fixed that it would be far more enjoyable.

>get en slaved for 10 years
>HEY HERO, REMEMBER WHEN WE GOT ENSLAVED 10 YEARS AGO AND YOUR DAD TOTALLY DIED, I REMEMBER IT LIKE IT HAPPENED 10 MINUTES AGO KEK. NORMAL HUMAN CONVERSATION!

I have a question for you DQ fans. Are you happy with the heroes as a Smash rep or would you have prefered the Slime as a lot of other people suggested?

Eight is Bandana Goku
Soro is Green Yamcha

I honestly don't care about Smash, so the rep doesn't really matter to me.

>V: 3 Characters
>IV: 2 Characters
>VI: 2 Characters
>VIII: 2 Characters
>III: 1 Character
What the fuck I thought Chadason was a meme

I was ok with the removal of animations, it speeds up battles.

I'm happy that we got orchestrated tracks in the trailer, though that doesn't seem promising for us to get DQ remixes

I'm much more happy with Heroes than Slimes, I prefer the "playable" characters to mascots. Same thing with the palico/ Monster Hunter argument.

It always surprises me how popular my boy Terry is.

Attached: DQVIDS_-_Terry.png (218x368, 93K)

Eight: Great Saiyaman (Bandana)

>>Not only do you lose all your progress at death but half your gold as well
Huh? I thought you kept your progress unless you decide to reload your save, in which case you don't lose any coins.
>>Have an item that allows you to instantly travel back to any town to allow for grinding. Doesn't work in dungeons, so even if you try to make progress but play it safe and start back from town, it won't allow you and you have to run out the dungeon and probably die
The spell zoom has the same effect as a chimaera wing, assuming that's what you're talking about, and very early in the game you also get evac which lets you teleport out of dungeons. If you aren't watching your magic that's on you, this is true for literally any RPG ever.
>>Get spells when you level up but you don't get mana
Literally only an issue the very first time you level up

user you're a fucking retard you're like 30 minutes into the game and none of those things are an issue after a few hours

>Papas in top 10
When did Japs have good taste?

I think slime would've been cool, especially if it barrowed most of it's ideas from Rocket Slime, and I think it would represent the franchise better, but that said Roto/Erdrick has a special place in my heart and I'm very pleased to see him and the others

Attached: A Hero's Challenge.jpg (850x523, 332K)

By far the weakest choice is IV's male hero. By far the most generic design.

these games fucking blow.

So far it's built up pretty consistently on the left side of the map so I just assumed I had to keep trekking south.

There's nothing "generic" about Soro.

>Toriyama is a fantastic artist that lovingly crafts beautiful worlds, fantastic characters and creatures that are impossible not to find endearing
>Most well known for Dragonball Z which is his weakest work art wise

Let me show you the 2019 popularity poll
1. Veronica

Attached: 18j1emfa81u85jpg.jpg (960x540, 235K)

There's nothing unique about him.

The slime is a boring mascot, and it doesn't have any interesting moves so they would've had to either pull moves from other monsters, from spin-offs, or make shit up. The only interesting thing the slimes have going for them is that they're representative of the series as a whole, rather than representative of any one particular game; that "problem" has already been solved with Hero by having costumes from different games, so it was a far better choice.

You're either just blind, or you don't like Soro.
It's understandable, though, he's a bit forgettable. But he's far from generic.

Attached: 300px-Dq4_Hero.jpg (300x486, 28K)

That's the stupidest bullshit I ever heard. Literally the only one thats not short black haired goku or slightly different colored hair android 17 and he's generic? Unless you meant to say least generic, in which case yeah, you're compelety correct.
Not to mention the slime earrings and fish fins headgear. Seriously the least generic on there.

>Yea Forums is one person

I disagree, Toriama's work with the Dragon Ball manga is top notch and indeed some od his best works. The problem is that not many people know actual Toriyama art at all, since their knowledge of DBZ art style is the anime, trying to emulate the manga.

I don't care about him exactly because how forgettable and generic he is. He's not as popular as many other DQ Heroes so I don't know exactly why they chose him.

Actual Toriyama is diesel/semi futuristic punk, aviator goggles and jackets, dragons/vaguely dinosaur steeds and airplanes.

Toriyama can draw many things.

What was the hero you wanted, user?

But mostly monsters and machinery.

Because DQ IV is well liked in Japan and he has a memorable design with the green hair and the Zenethian touches to the outfit.

The only other hero that's vastly more popular than him is DQV's.

I'm fine with all of them really, they all made it in in some shape or form at least. Would have preferred V, but I get it, he's mostly portrayed with a staff and he's not actually that game's Hero.

The Protag's children are that popular?

Playing DQ7 3DS

Well there's more porn of them than there's porn of DQ4's hero

>tutorial is like 20 hours long
Oh DQ VII, you irritate me so much but I still love you so much.

Need to get back to DQ11, started it weeks ago and then just got really busy.

Nothing wrong with trying out games you wouldn't have otherwise played because of Smash honestly

Dragonball is great. Z and beyond is bland

Is it? The most recent poll I found places him far bellow III and VIII too. DQ IV isn't even in the top 5. It's a poll from 2010, mind you.

>the DQ1 and DQ2 heroes aren't as popular (4's alt uses 1's colour scheme and 2 wouldn't make sense because he can't use magic)
>the DQ5 hero uses a staff as his default weapon
>nobody cares about the DQ6 hero - Terry's more popular than him, which is why 8's alt uses his colors
>the DQ7 and DQ9 heroes are too short
>the DQ10 hero is a literal who outside of Japan
>meanwhile the DQ4 hero uses a sword, is the focus of the Zenithian trilogy, and hails from one of the most popular games in the series

Attached: dragonquest8_wrong.jpg (384x288, 34K)

Dq3 and if I had to be honest, it's pretty boring so far.

DQ5 hero uses swords though.

Keep going. I thought the same until the game opened up the class system and shit started getting crazy and fun.

The first one is at least quite short. IIRC I beat it in one afternoon when I first played it.

4 has that amazing ragnar music that really sets a better starting tone than any other DQ
the alena music is terrible but by that point you're invested in the game

Yeah, but it's not the weapon choice that he's usually marketed with. And he can't wield the legendary sword either, while the DQIV hero can.

Attached: DQVDS_-_Hero.png (402x411, 150K)

The dream DQ representation for me would be a fighter represented by a full 4 man team from DQ3 or 4 fighting at the same time. Like male hero, Alena, Kyril, Maya and an echo with fem hero, Torneko, Meena and Borya.
I have no idea how that would actually work though, but that's how it is in my wet fantasies.
What we got is serviceable for sure, I don't understand people who wanted slime, sure the thing has abilities and equipment in the game, but it's just a blue fucking blob with no range of motion beyond ramming itself into the enemy.

Attached: 24bbf773fcc06fb75e88881972094df9.png (602x602, 176K)

That's not the DQV hero, that's the DQV main character.

Come now lad. Show me a show about muscle wizards in space with planetary destruction powers.

Why didn't we just get 8 heroes for alts? They have them modeled in the final smash...

IV has the best music in the series
They really need to bring back battle and map themes that change throughout the game, as they always end up getting stale in newer titles.
youtube.com/watch?v=qtTMAwagkeQ

Crank up the quality on youtube and look closer, the models are 3ds tier. They'd be too shit even for a cutscene if you saw them for longer than a second.
Also 7 is too short while 2, 5 and 9 are wrong class.

...you got me there.

Attached: 300px-DQV_Parry_DS.png (300x415, 138K)

Discuss Toriyama art evolution

Attached: 1438587726079.jpg (1508x1636, 1.03M)

I'm planning on playing 8, 11S, Rocket Slime, Builders 2, and some of the DQ Joker games or something.
Of course, that'll be after I beat Banjo after not playing it for 15 years. I love how Smash gets me into other series.

I love DQ9 for the job system and character customization, is 3 worth playing? And what's the definitive version? I'm guessing snes or gbc?
pic to get your attention

Attached: 1556213234278.jpg (772x1200, 153K)

The 5 protag is meant to be more of a priest, right? He learns wind magic, which is a priest staple in this series.

kill yourself

Not as bad as Araki's descent into gay with parts 4 and 5

SNES for better graphics
GBC for more content

It's cool, the only reason we even have to make the distinction is because of DQV. Every other game just makes the mc the hero. DQV mc is in a bad spot because his kids are the heroes with the power to actually defeat evil, and his father was stronger than him even after mc's timeskip. I mean honestly, Papas having over 400 hp while his level was only in the 20s is insane.

>descent into gay
Yes, Joseph humping Polnareff's butt isn't gay.
How about Speedwagon heating up Jonathan's arm with his abs by hugging him close?
The constant poses by Joseph and Caesar?
The Pillar Men in general?
I'm not sure why you draw the line there.

The first 2 are terrible examples of early Toriyama. They aren't even drawn by him

Attached: 1560461855079.jpg (800x1066, 456K)

He's a monster tamer, which becomes a returning class in later games, but it's ability set in them has almost nothing in common with 5, where he's mostly a priest, with a mantle as his final armour piece and a staff that lets him turn into a dragon as his final weapon.

At least he can tame monsters.

The CHAD Hero
>Four different costumes to represent the whole series
>Uses moves that have appeared throughout the whole series
>Every single games in the series has appeared on a Nintendo platform
>Will still be relevant when Dragon Quest XII

The VIRGIN Joker
>Two costumes, both are Joker; only represents P5
>Uses a Persona that only appears in P5 instead of using a Persona that could've represented the whole series
>Only games available on Nintendo platforms are spin-off
>Will be irrelevant as soon as Persona 6 comes out

In hindsight, Joker was a pretty shitty pick.

Attached: Dragon CHADS.jpg (2020x897, 331K)

Talking artstyle wise.

I played the SNES version, I didn't notice any of the problems mentioned. But I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe the bad translation just went past me.

I mean, it's not a bad thing. When Smash 4 came out Shulk it made me want to play Xenoblade, so I bought XCX and later I also got Xenoblade 1. Right now both games are my favorite games of all time and I guess I gotta thank Smash for that.

Attached: 1559220452908.jpg (698x515, 86K)

Yeah but they'll probably get more songs...

I figured I'll try out XI S once it releases

Remind me again why certain websites hate Dragon Quest now? Before they ignored or were indifferent but now I see a lot of seething hatred.

I'm not sure about sites, but a lot of people have a burning hatred for turn-based games for some reason.

Why does Prince of Cannock look like Krillin in chibi art but like Trunks in big art?

Attached: b04d4bd6328d5b27aa91896a90c09c90--dragon-quest-videogame-art.jpg (736x906, 207K)

Dragon ball z is the one that introduces and uses toriyama the hi-tech sci-fi artstyle that you praised so much, specially in the Freezer saga.

Dragon ball z is many things, but it's hardly bland.

There’s a strange unspoken rule in most western video game media that dictates they must hate on everything Japan related.

Why does he draw her like that and not with her Videl hair?

Attached: 398px-Hero3female.png (398x600, 323K)

Videl didn't exist at the time.

>Implying im not
First time playing this game, I saw the old man talk about the Jester class and thought "yes, I need this in my party"

Attached: GAMRS RISE UP.png (314x282, 6K)

I dunno, why does the princess have blonde hair half the time but purple hair the other half?

Now specifically? Because another "anime swordsman" got into Smash

Dq1 is legit the most grindiest basic ass piece of shit jrpg i have ever played in my life it cant believe people think its good id rather play smt 1 & 2 again with their horrendous encounter rates than this shit

I mean why does that specific artist draw her with her hair down when it should be spiky?

Unironically how old are you?

Nah I've noticed it since XI released. I've seen a comments on some games media websites, articles, etc all hating on DQ hard suddenly.

The DQ3 hero and heroine both tend to be drawn by how the artist saw them/wanted them to be like rather than what they "canonically" look like since the original sprites really don't look much like anything and the original artwork used chibis. That's why there's so much art of Erdrick as a shota.

The original release sure, the remakes shouldn't require more than 30 minutes of grinding total and that's throughout the game, not even at once.

Probably because DQXI is getting a fuckton of promotion and the last DQ to get this kind of promo stateside was VIII which was a while ago. Which also ties into

Theres literally only 1 attack and 1 spell and if you dont grind you lose
Literally couldnt think of a worse jrpg games even the worst rpg maker games are better

Because they are jealous at how influential it is

Well iam talking about the nes one

Thinking about it what's the Western equivalent to Dragon Quest? You know that new movie based off V that's coming out in Japan? All minus 2 actors have played V. Then that's not to mention practically a large amount of Japan too.

Is there a series like that in the West?

Well yes, that's literally the first JRPG ever made, of course it's basic.

>a game thats just a casualised version of ultima
>influential

Come on now even the developer admited this

kek, lost my shit at Munchie.

Japanese icky scary

Attached: yoshihiko.png (1592x1724, 2.2M)

Pokemon

>hating on people for trying out new things

The ones DQ was inspired by in the first place - wizardry and ultima.
Maybe a bit of might&magic too, but that came later.

shitposters are not people

This has been happening since Fire Emblem in Melee. Heck, I'd assume it was happening since Ness in SSB64 but internet wasn't really a thing then

Tetris

I love how secondary has been twisted to mean "person introduced to thing by something else" when it was originally "person introduced to one small part of a thing and thinks they can judge the entire thing"

not all smash players are shitposters

I'm gonna wait for DQ11. Been wanting to start with it since it was announced (and because 10 was online shit) but decided to hold up for the S version

>Pokemon
user said Western game. I feel like Call of Duty is the closest we got.
Is it well known to the same point DQ is in Japan?

I’d tried 9 years ago but thought it was boring but Smash made me want to try the series again. I finished 1 and liked it and went on to 3 and it’s great. I skipped 2 because I heard it sucked. Should I play it at some point?

It's funny how things tend to lose their general intention when they shift towards rapid-fire buzzwords. Take 'incel' for example.

I only played 1 and 2 on GBC, none of those made it in so idk if I should even give a fuck

Generally people assume those who do the former will turn into the latter

DQ was always a boring grindfest.

Is this exactly what SE wanted to happen?

Hell no. The Elder Scrolls then, a popular casual series with a wide appeal.

This is likely what every game studio wants to happen. Just look at Fire Emblem or Xenoblade

This guarantees we won't have a 5 year dark ages again user. Nothing to whine about.

The original post was only about shitposters my dude

Played and beat dragon quest 1, working on 2 now.
Going in sequential order.

Attached: chio gestures.webm (960x540, 1.27M)

There's no reason to return to 2 if you already played 3. It's like a testing ground for all the mechanics and setpieces that would become common in later games, although it doesn't realise those things particularly well. It's worth playing for the sake of a history lesson maybe, not a fun vidya experience.

It's stupid. Why wouldn't you(collectively) want people to actually play games from the series you like, the other option is that they stay ignorant and continue to dismiss it as "muh anime swordsman" shit when it means a lot more than that

I played the mobile version of 2, it adds a bunch of features that make the game a lot less tedious, like a map that shows you where the towns and dungeons are and "invisible" items will have a sparkle on the ground. The rest of the game was "OK", it's nowhere near as good as 3 and doesn't have the refreshing simplicity of 1. You do get to revisit 1's continent which is pretty cool.

If you've already been spoiled on the main twist of 3(like I was), there's literally no reason to play the first two games

I didn't praise the scifi artsyle, that was someone else.

OG dragonball had better scifi

Joker’s color variations represent the rest of the games in the series.

So it's pretty easy to jump around in this series? I'm probably going to start with 8 but I'd like to go back to play 3 and 5 at some point

Yeah, 3 outright favors all female teams to an extreme degree, that just rolling a female Roto with Lewd as a personality is enough to beat the game, the stat gains are that ridiculous.
Also, just to note, 3's stat gains are regulated by level to the point where eating seeds (or abusing savestates on the minigame boards) can cause empty levels from time to time.

>Tfw more of a Persona fan than DQ
>Will end up playing Hero more than Joker

At least the Main Character from 8 is there.

Attached: 1492929367551.png (500x405, 180K)

Lewd is a male only personality, the female version is called sexy I think. Or "vamp" in the mobile localisation.

>There's fuck all grinding in it
Does the phone version massively cut down on grinding or something? Because the NES version required you to be at like level 22 minimum to face the final boss and win without abusing save states, and the EXP gain is total shit compared to what you need by level 18, on top of the required level varying based on how good your strength growth is.

I beat it yesterday on my phone at level 18.

Has anyone tried doing a solo Hero run in DQ3? It sounds fun, but I'd imagine it being rather tedious

extra content >>>> graphics
3DS is superior

Right, my bad. Lewd and Sexy share the same slot on the initial personality test and I guess I got them mixed up. I should've remembered Lewd is the worse of the two.

Damn, maybe the remake might be worth giving a shot someday. Emulating the NES versions of I and II left me hating both gameplay wise.
I beat the first one at 18 too, but I had to abuse the fuck out of savestates, I manipulated the rng to get the 1/16 chance to put the final boss to sleep, and hacked away at him for 1 damage each hit(sometimes 2 if I was lucky) and kept cheating the rng so he would never wake up.

8 is the only one I've played, I enjoyed it for a while but dropped it after killing Dhoulmagus because I got bored and the dungeon with ramps & statues was really annoying. How many more hours are left in the game?

Attached: 1507171150834.jpg (554x530, 22K)

I'd argue extra content doesn't mean anything if the baseline experience throughout the entire game isn't as good, but to each their own I guess.

If I really cared about graphics I wouldn't get the switch version of DQ11 since ps4/pc version runs and looks better

Any of them worth playing on Mobile?

If I remember correctly, you were at about the halfway point.

4 is the only one there seems to be any real consensus on; mostly for the party chat function.

1-6

The only RNG I "needed" was not sleeping for four turns when he used Snooze on me. Other than that I didn't use any strategy other than hitting him over and over and casting Midheal when needed. I did grind a little, but actually just to have enough gold to buy the best shield.

Attached: Laurel Wreath DQ2.png (325x312, 209K)

Difference between DQ11 PS4 and Switch is resolution, LODs, and texture quality. The assets themselves are ripped straight from PS4 and downscaled for Switch, and the change is much more negligible.
From PS2 to 3DS they remade a lot of assets, and nothing is more telling of this than the change in color palette. Everything became over-saturated in the 3DS port for no apparent reason, and the LODs are significantly worse on the overworld. Also loadtimes are slightly longer on 3DS at least when compared to playing the original game off a PS2 HDD using hdloader and the 3DS version removed proper global illumination and lighting.

I'm not a huge graphicsfag and I think DQXI S looks fine, but the visuals in VIII 3DS were downgraded enough to take away from my enjoyment of the game as a whole.

Attached: 7fGXPb3.jpg (417x488, 140K)

Attached: 1560530716630.png (1784x508, 133K)

I already played 8 and 11, maybe 5 next since I've heard that it's good.

So I was reading up on Dragon Quest 1 and apparently the name impacts your growths and stats. What shouls you be looking out for? A higher Strength stat or a higher MP pool? I have a few names I can use but I want to know if I'll be spamming spells or just whack my way through with normal attacks.

Don't meta game man. Just name the Hero what you want.

Holy shit I never even noticed that

What Dragon Quest should start with? I haven't played an RPG in years and with Dragon Quest getting decently popular I've been thinking of trying it out. I have a PS4, 3DS, Switch, and Wii U. I also don't speak japanese. If the answer is 11 should I get wait for the Switch version or get the PS4/3DS version? pic unrelated

Attached: 1534958877818.jpg (1432x1188, 306K)

Attached: dqdqdq.png (845x1024, 1.57M)

I'm playing them in order
I'm on the first one
How do I prove I'm Erdrick's descendent to this old guy. I already got the rain staff and Sun stone.
Also wtf I thought the flute makes golems sleep but a gold golem just killed me.
Also why is the god that revives me and returns me to the king stealing my money

You definitely have to be at least level 21-22 in the snes version to beat the final boss, if you're not abusing save states. And even then you need luck on your side.

But maybe the phone version is different.

Is it worth changing classes to a jester, or should I just get that book to turn them into a sage?

Characters are around level 20

Just look at the Smash trailer, pick your favorite character from it and play his game. They're all good entry points into the series.

The first four letters are the only ones that affect anything.
There are objectively best names that just give you good stats all around, one of these is Kefk, which I'll always remember from HCBailly's LP where he named the hero Kefka.

You got a phone? Play 1-6 on it. If it's android you can pirate that shit in a minute.

VIII and XI are both similar and good entries. There isn't really a "definitive" edition of VIII since the 3DS has more features but worse graphics and music, so you might be better off waiting for XI on Switch.
V has the best story and IV is interesting as well, and the DS versions of those two games are also really good entry points and they're only ~30 hours a piece so you could play through one of them before XI comes out and see if you want more.

Just get the book. Class-change is really not necessary to beat DQ3 and going through Jester even less so.

Will the updated 11 eventually come to other systems? I notice that updated ports seem to just stay wherever, which kind of sucks

They said it was Nintendo exclusive.

>How do I prove I'm Erdrick's descendent to this old guy. I already got the rain staff and Sun stone.
You gotta find a special sigil, it's a late game thing, you'll learn where to search for it
>golems sleep
It works on a very particular golem. Once you meet it the question above that will be answered too. Gold golems are just free sacks of money by the way, if you can't kill them you should probably venture to the right side of the map and try to look for the magic key because you're underleveled as fuck for the area on the left.

I've been playing VIII on the shitter for the last few weeks.
Not gonna get Smash, tho. Switches cost money.

Attached: 1553049140107.jpg (399x351, 67K)

Either way doesn't hurt, you'll get to keep some of your stats and gain more stats going from one class to another. Plus you have your equipment anyway, so you aren't totally starting from scratch.

You get two free books during a playthrough, which is exactly the same as the number of casters you should have. And really it's one more than you actually need. Class switching is mostly useful for getting that thief spell that lets you find hidden goodies without the burden of having an actual thief in your party long term. You can also switch your casters into physical classes (not warrior, since his mp doesn't grow at all) after they unlock all their spells in mid 30s, but I never bothered with that since it also reduces your mp pool heavily.

>have 3D models for DQ1-2-10 heroes
>don't use them

Attached: 1545993912813.jpg (1000x780, 793K)

Smash autism put DQ on my radar, and I bought DQ3 on Android last month to play something at work. I like it a lot. I just got to the east continent to get pepper for that faggot king.

Attached: Cockslut.jpg (195x196, 9K)

Terry is really fucking cool and is made even cooler by the fact he recruited a bunch of monsters when he was like 8 and won a bunch of tournaments.

What is the best thing to turn a thief into. A fighter?

Thanks for the responses. I've been researching what DQ game to start with and I think I might start with 3 but idk what version. Should I play the NES or GameboyColor version? pic still unrelated

Attached: fat yoshi.jpg (300x300, 12K)

Currently playing through 11. After that I'll play 5 since I heard it's the best of the series.

>ignores Banjo being made for the sole purpose of appealing to the west

Japs liked Banjo too though. More excited for it than DQ

GBC for content, SNES (fan-translation) for graphics/music.
No reason to go back to the NES games these days.

I did it like this: started with a martial artist, thief and a cleric, then shifted the thief into a sage as soon as he got that spell. Since thief could also do some aoe damage with it's whips the loss of deeps compared to mage wasn't that heavy. But still, mage is a real useful class to have early on, with it's armour debuff especially, so you can indeed start with thief/priest/mage and shift to martial artist with a thief. I just like having martial artist with me always.

Attached: 1541231894334.jpg (700x700, 93K)

>Finished DQ1
>Silent protagonist suddenly speaks
Kino

Attached: 1545464450207.png (125x175, 45K)

Is that spell still useful in the phone version since you just see those "hidden" items anyway?

I would've loved to see DQ5's hero as an alt. The only reason he didn't make it is because he uses a staff in the canon, even though he can equip swords in-game. If DQ5's hero was a sword user, I guarantee you he would have gotten in over DQ4's hero.

Play 4, then 5.

Attached: 1535797736685.jpg (850x1200, 809K)

Yeah, since it tells you if there are hidden items left in the entire city/dungeon. Some of them are hidden in separate screen, behind walls and just in ways where sparkles aren't enough to find them. With the spell at least you'll know that you have to keep looking in this particular area. It also counts for items hidden in cupboards and the like.

He's not a hero, he's a monster tamer. His dad was a soldier, he's a monster tamer, and his children are heroes.

He's your slave with no will of his own throughout the game. You as the player are the true villain of the game.

Be a chad and use his alt color.

Attached: 1549968118149.png (2075x2050, 1.9M)

>The only reason he didn't make it is because he uses a staff in the canon
And he has a completely different set of spells. The swoosh line, no zap or kaklang, the man belongs to a wrong class.

Isn't 5 the prequel?

>shindol
no fucking thanks

you talk like you're 11, retard.

Hell no dude. 6 is the prequel, with the zenithian dragon being an egg and the castle still ruled by some old dude, it's also separated into a separate dimension and the game actually shows you how the demon world is created..
5 is a somewhat indirect sequel to 4, it build on 4's themes a lot and also subverts them.
In 4 you see Zenithia as this indomitable bastion of good and in 5 you find it wrecked at the bottom of a lake. 5 also works with the concept of the search for legendary hero and how it always seems to appear right when needed in other games. In 5 he's late by a few decades.

Same reason for not throwing Aerith a Phoenix Down. Sometimes games just have to say "it's dead, Jim"

Most of his equippable weapons are swords. He's even featured using one in the upcoming movie. The real reason he's not in is because he can't use his game's legendary equipment and he has a completely different set of spells.

Pick one.

Attached: 1554821610297.jpg (950x715, 356K)

Best plot of the series, not best gameplay by far.

Alena easily, she's the best DQ girl.

>a nerd that probably can't even clean her room without kaswooshing
>a slut
>a pure tomboy princess that can murder archdemons with nothing but a set of sharp earrings

Attached: 701331-kiryl.jpg (300x400, 19K)

Easily Jessica. Alena is great too. Ashlynn is cute but she felt kinda useless when I played her game.

I was thinking about replaying 9 but I don’t want to lose out on my wi-fi stuff

>He doesn't know
They just reactivated the online for DQ9

WHAT

NICHE JAPANESE TURN-BASED GAME BAD
MAINSTREAM GOOD
This is perfectly normal for Smash roster war shit. Xenoblade got the same treatment when Shulk got into Smash. In fact, some people still haven't forgiven Xeno for that and shit up Chronicles X and Chronicles 2 threads.

Alena isn't shit without bikill.

which dragon quest game has the most remakes?

Why does nobody ever talk about DQ6? Serious question, I just started recently, am still playing 8, but in the discussion here I see basically every game mentioned minus 6

Oomph only affects the first hit of the falcon earrings anyway. Two hits for double the chance to crit (and she already gets her crit chance calculated by a separate exclusive big dick formula).
She's just the best.

probably the first one.

There was a number of posts talking specifically about the ways it fucked up the vocation system. If you ignore the way it works it's an ok game, the plot is decent and you get to fight a flying castle. Just don't try to get into the vocations, it's fucked.

She doesn't even need Oomph, her damage is good on its own, and becomes stupid when she gets falcon knife earrings, plus she's the only character with a growing crit rate.

Is xi 3ds version bad?
Looked pretty good.

>Heard of game
>Want to play game

Nice try reddit

Attached: 1537571192649.gif (500x382, 102K)

The thing that makes Alena broken is damag calculation works by calculating Critical hit on Alena through Agility rather than Luck, and you being able to amp up her agility with equips.

You're better off with Maya's Sap lowering enemy defense to amp up Alena's damage than Oomph.

I think because 6 returns to the job system of 3 much later in the game, it is seen as more of a grind than other DQ titles. 7 at least had the benefit of a 3DS remake to help cut out some of the grinding, but 6 can sometimes feel like a slog to get through.

The entire end sequence is pretty rad though. It's usually just easier to recommend a simpler game like 3 or a better game like 9.

>can't understand that I'm talking about the guys who shitposted about DQ in Smash
learn to read or kys

Switch version completely overshadows it. It has all the bonus content from 3DS version and the 16-bit option, plus even more extra content.
There's literally no reason to bother with 3DS version.

thank you, my memory tricked me. I know I planned to play them chronologically at one point. But somehow decided to play 5 first anyway

Never played DQ, but that XI switch port looks fun, how is it?

>I think because 6 returns to the job system of 3 much later in the game
It doesn't return to the job system of 3, it remakes it completely. In 3 the job system is tied to your experience and taking a new job puts you at level 1 while cutting your stats by 50%. In 6 switching a vocation merely applies a stat modifier and uses it's own way of leveling separate from the normal xp bar - your vocations level with every battle you win (provided the enemies are strong enough to give you xp). This means that you can't use metal slimes or anything to level a vocation quickly, there's no shortcuts at all, only grinding, grinding and more grinding.

Why is this not on Steam, but on the fucking phone?

Attached: 45thrt.png (705x214, 109K)

Not released yet.

I think every game has a special something going that makes it stand out from not just other games in the series but from other JRPGs in general. All of them have something unique about them... except 6. It doesn't do anything special. It has a class system, but not a particularly interesting one. It brought back the recruitable monsters from 5, but it went severely underused because in 6 you actually have a good amount of party members AND can change their classes so why use monsters? It's not a bad game, but it doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever and has a bunch of features that none are done particularly well. If you like classes, then 3, 7 and 9 do it better. If you like recruiting monsters, 5 and the DQM spin-offs do it better. If you want party members, other games have more interesting ones.

Doesn't help that you're expected to switch classes at least a few times

Its a shit port anyway
Just emulate the PS2 version

GBC

If I had to say that a DQ has nothing particular to it, it might be IV but somehow it also feels like of the most special games in the series for some reason.

It's one of the few traditional JRPGs left that focuses more on world-building instead of appeasing to statfags and waifufags.

Making you play as all your companions before playing as the hero is pretty unique. I don't know any other JRPG that does this, I guess FF6 is somewhat similar with its ensemble cast but it's not the same thing.

Strangely enough, this is the only game I can think of that has this twist.

>DQ11
>Not a waifu game
>Game lets you dress up your female characters, game ends with you getting married, Switch version is adding new endings so you can choose which girl you marry

Golden Sun kinda does it. Isaac is silent in the first game, but speaks in the sequel because he's no longer the protagonist. While Felix talks in the first game, but becomes silent in the sequel because he's now the protagonist.

11 is a good game. I'd wait for the Switch release so you can play with the orchestrated soundtrack.

There's QoL stuff in 11 that might make it harder to revisit older Dragon Quest games, but there's a lot of love for the series poured into this game alone that might inspire playing older games. 3 and 5 are worth emulating in the meantime, and 1 is short enough to rush through emulated if you play one of the later releases.

Everyone shit talked VI so much I can't get the will to play it

What other DQ games haven't you played? 6 has its moments but is a proto DQ7 in a lot of ways

It's not a bad game. It's just that it's "average" in everything it does rather than being particularly strong in any area. Actually, if I wanted to be positive, I guess that's what's special about DQ6: It has a bit of everything.

Not the guy who asked, but really? I personally don't mind them; in fact, I like them and the soundtrack. Maybe it's because I'm fond of the LoZ Oracle games.

Fuck off you newfags. Last thing DQ needs is Smashfags plaguing up our base only to ask for the divine corset to be removed when the next game comes out. And unless you're playing the originals in their full Japanese or fan-translated glory then you are only playing garbage.

Attached: dq delet this.jpg (319x240, 26K)

Its a pit of despair we're in now. As if Dragon Quest didn't have a bad enough time with Squeenix and the Squeenix of America's awful translators, now we have to deal with Smashtards.

Attached: slimeilliam.png (626x355, 351K)

Only other one I havent played is XI because I have nothing to play it on yet

>i finished dq7 the other day

Attached: newfag.jpg (759x660, 148K)

Oh sorry man I guess I won't play the games then, you really convinced me

I didn't listen to anyone about VI, I played it and now, I don't have the will to launch VII.
It's not bad, but it's bland and too long.

Replaying IV and eventually V, also XI and builders

I just did this (finished the game today). Great fun indeed.

based, bandwagoning smashniggers are the worst fanbase in existence

Finally got my Super Famicom running today. Unfortunately only DQ6, FF6 and DKC2 work. The other 4 I bought including DQ5 don't for some reason. So I guess I'm gonna play DQ6 now.

I know that 3DS DQ7 is much better but is 8 much better or is PS2 ok?

The princess from DQ1 is an underrated waifu.

Attached: hero1_x_gwaelin01.jpg (680x850, 215K)

It has a lot of new content on 3DS including new characters, but it has much better graphics on PS2, so much that a lot of people still prefer that version.

3DS has more postgame stuff, PS2 has much better visuals and sound.
I'd recommend PS2, because VIII's world is stunning to look at for a PS2 game.

Jessica all day every day

It’s still a great game, just don’t get too crazy with the vocations or you’ll end up insane.