FFVII: Midgar OBSESSION

Are they going to show us something other than Midgar some time? All I've seen for 20 years of remake "concepts" is Midgar as if that wasn't just 10% of FFVII.

Has everyone forgotten this was a scenic and comfy game? It wasn't all steampunk.

Attached: FFVII-01268-Cosmo-Canyon-Huge-Materia.png (740x516, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VDYDxOjvGXw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: FFVII_Icicle-Inn.png (740x516, 193K)

Because they haven't worked on anything other than midgar and normies eat it up because they think midgar is most of disc 1.

Attached: 2-E29_002.jpg (800x600, 214K)

>steampunk

FF VII isn't even close to that. That's the most misused "punk". Anyway, Midgar is the most iconic part of the game, so of course they're going to focus on it. So much so that they bloated it into an entire game. But yeah, FF VII has some really nice looking areas.

It will be nothing but Midgar, at least for the first one.

Don't worry man, parts 2, 3 and 4 will be outside of midgar

Kalm down. I'm sure there will be a couple of different towns in the $40 DLC pack from the $60 chapter #247 Standard Poorfag Edition, as long as you've been buying every chapter up until then, good goy.

>tfw

I really hope they don't spoil the comfy and funny stuff by making it all edgy.

Attached: Aerith.gif (500x322, 454K)

>steampunk

FF7 isn't steampunk at all. Its dieselpunk at best, but even that doesn't do it justice. It is its own thing really.

you think square will even keep going after part 1? they already seem kind of sick of it

Midgar is going to be 90% of part 1
Why the hell do you think they waited this long?

ff7remake part 1 is just midgar. It's going to end after shinra tower as you leave.

>making a single game out of 8% of the original game

what the FUCK are they thinking? they really expect people pay full price for each episode for a piecemeal remake?

True it's iconic, but I'd also argue part of the reason it's iconic is because it's colourful and quirky below the surface, within all those metal shacks, and everyone who plays it gets that feeling. Otherwise it'd just be like the million other dark technofuture towns of every scifi movie and game.

All the trailers and teaser art are mostly just one metal walkway after another, they didn't even bother to show Aerith's church or house beside the water in the trailer.

Attached: 73-E10_153.jpg (640x480, 177K)

It's Makopunk.

Quite a few will. Though with how quietly they're saying it's only part 1, a lot of people will pay full price without realizing that it's not a full game.

Also note how the original marketing campaign in 1997 did it with lots of CG renders of this kind. There was obviously a conceited effort back then to try and show off the full scope of the FFVII world and all its scenic and fantasy settings.

They were aware then that a selling point of the game was that it was still a more traditional fantasy and not just a sci-fi.

Fanservice is one hell of a drug.

Attached: 1.jpg (627x344, 168K)

I hope they don't cut out loads of shit to fit the game into 5 parts after dedicating the entire part 1 to only Midgar.

To full fit Midgar into one part and then fully fit the rest of the game they'd need like 10 parts.

I feel like midgar will be stretched out and involve more of the story.

For starters, I wouldn't be surprised if Kalm is gone and the flashback happens in midgar

We'll only see Midgar and they'll have to chop a ton of locations of the world.

You're wrong.
Each chunk needs a hard and compelling narrative.
The logical narrative stops are
Shinra tower
Aeris
Sephiroth/Final

I really don't think they'd make more than 3 chunks. Midgar's already set, I just wonder how they're going to handle the later stuff.
You'll want more content than just midgar as it was in the original game for $60.
And for the final part, you'll want some sort of endgame, stat/level maxing and ideally some extra postgame stuff to do once you have those stats.

Red XIII will be cut from the game.

They haven't made anything else yet. You're gonna be waiting another 7 years to see anything outside of midgar.

Sounds fine to me, or at the very least he doesn't need to be playable.

>as if that wasn't just 10% of FFVII
but it will be 100% of episode 1
>It wasn't all steampunk
it was actually 0% steampunk.

in b4 part 2 is still only in midgar given they want to re-use assets

parachute section later on will also be several times longer

I would at least make part 2 just to see if the money keeps coming in

>I wouldn't be surprised if Kalm is gone and the flashback happens in midgar

Now that would be balls up retarded. The point of Kalm is, after the hectic Shinra Tower stuff, to relieve a little bit of the tension and introduce the fact there's a big world outside Midgar waiting for you with plenty of life in it, and gather the heroes in one place before the start of their adventure. That Inn room is the perfect place to tell Cloud's story.

It made itself edgy

Attached: stop-that-girl.png (600x450, 369K)

at best, Kalm will be replaced by a camp outside

Not gonna make a full town just for something that is ultimately just the characters standing in 1 room.

7Re is basically square's flagship product since XV tanked and there's little if any hype for XVI.
I bet part of the team is already working on engine/environments for part 2.

7.2Re is going to sell less obviously, but 7.1Re is guaranteed to be a sucess.

..or I guess they could get a room at the chocobo ranch

It's modern. It takes plays in 2007. The only really Sci-Fi stuff in there is the robots which are pieces of junk.

Attached: cloud dab.jpg (1348x1093, 341K)

They can't cut an entire fucking town, that's ridiculous.
It's just going to be weird to waltz into a tiny village after the clusterfuck that is midgar.
Also the timeskip of waiting for the next game is really going to fuck with the narrative and feel.

I was just thinking about how cool his planetarium would be the other day. I'd also be interested in the Temple of the Ancients.

>Also the timeskip of waiting for the next game is really going to fuck with the narrative and feel.

Yeah. Bloating parts of the original game and selling it in chunks once every several years was an astoundingly awful idea. I can't believe how badly Square-Enix is managed. If there was any justice in the world, they'd have gone out of business a long, long time ago.

The tone of Midgar is undeniably sci-fi or neo-noir though. Metal, dark, artificial light, technology, even if the specific tech isn't so much more futuristic than what we have now.

But outside the FFVII world is colourful, quirky, full of magic and nature and culture, my worry is they either don't have the imagination or time/resources to build all that again and outside midgar things like relatively plain.

I could see them expanding Midgar to incorporate a lot the early exposition, but I actually think they could do a big chunk of the world outside Midgar without it being crazy. Most of the towns are one hub area with a few buildings. The dungeons are usually quite straightforward as well (with the exception of the Temple of the Ancients and the final crater). My only worry is that they MASSIVELY cut out the side content for each character and area. I understand they can't have everything in there, but those moments are what makes FFVII so good, it's not just the story of Sephiroth and Cloud.

I worry that FFVII is almost a mono myth to the fans, and in recreating that, they risk losing all the trimmings that held it up, and all we'll be left with is a greatest hits compilation where most of the tracks are Cloud X Sephiroth.

It's a gritty, neon city. We have those, both in the east and west. Only difference is they aren't managed by the Walt Disney corporation yet

Attached: Age 30.png (1274x400, 671K)

>Are they going to show us something other than Midgar some time?

user, it took them four years to show Tifa.

And they even got that wrong

They just have a huge cash backing and massive established fanbase from the old games they made that weren't shit.
All the old good devs are long gone, and they've just been trying to "modernize" everything for several iterations.

Stuff likes tales is easy to modernize because the base gameplay is already very interactive.

They'll either gut most of it or never finish. They'll do the gold saucer, aeris dying and life stream, then weapons and midgar again/crater but I'm not sure about anything else. Places like the town with the giant cannon might only be in cutscenes, others like Wutai might be cut entirely. There's too much to do at the level they're doing it at, I'll be very surprised if it isn't bloated with irrelevant backstory stuff and missing most of what people would have wanted to see.

youd never guess it but the entirety of the honey bee in was designed by none other than pic related

Attached: toriyama.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

i honestly would have preferred a new translation + touched up models and the textures run through deep learning ai

The game that's coming out in march is midgar focused.
Stretched that entire small section at the start into a $60 game for whatever reason.
Honestly I wonder how they'd even do the rest of those areas justice when they start working on the other parts of the game. Devs don't even know how many parts they're splitting it into

What about the project is so big they can't do it by the way? This reason made sense to me in the 2000's but games like Skyrim came out with massive worlds completely seamless.

Is FFVII really so big? There's maybe about 20 relevant main locations and some wilderness, populated with NPCs, and 9 main characters, two optional.

Most of the rest of the game wouldn't make too much sense to be supremely bloated and drawn out. I could see Wutai being a double digit hours area when taking into account Yuffie's character arc there, but like Cosmo Canyon is entirely Red XIII's character arc, which is mostly the dungeon with the Gi tribe. Gongaga isn't much of anything as well. I think you could probably fit everything pretty comfortably into a three part set without the two after Midgar feeling rushed.

Remake is just going to be Midgar, if you wanted to see anything else outside of the first five hours of the original, like, say, a party member that isn't Cloud, Aerith, Tifa or Barret then fuck you you're going to have to wait another 3 years

I'm honestly caring less just thinking about it, stretching a 22- year-old game into 3 or more games released over the span of like a decade. It's The Hobbit except even dumber

Essentially these plebs are assuming the rest of the game needs to be as detailed as midgar
it doesn't
Since midgar is its own game, its seeing the full attention of the team.
When the team will have to build 10~ different environments, resources will be stretched but those areas are nowhere near as complex as midgar for the most part.
It's entirely doable. I'm glad they're finally putting SOMETHING out after this being rumored for so long.
But the game's going to be fucked to play in chunks 2-3 years apart.

they're marketing to zoomers who never played the original at release and maybe played it emulated for an hour then quit because muh shit graphics and watched some yt footage of sephiroth instead. I mean I was prime target audience when it came out and am in my 40s now, go figure.

It'll be worth it as long as they do the big character moments justice. Nanaki meeting his father, Cait Sith sacrifice, Aerith's death, that weird Lifestream segment in Mideel, Cid making it into space, etc. The game has a lot of heart, and you can't just convey that with pretty graphics.

>aerith.gif
>Character is called Aeris in the gif
I pray to fuck they dub her name correctly. Voice acting was a mistake.

and also 5, 6 and 7

I think they're happy with the progress, unlike XV they were able to get the first part of Remake out as fast as they wanted outside of the initial outsourcing, and the top heads see it as a infalliable money maker that they'll be able to skirt of and get multiple games out without needing to worry about creative talent as much as they would a new game

They are going way to slow with part 1 though and that'll get old real fast if they don't kick their ass in gear to keep a decent paced game, not just one that makes each part super dense because your trying to make a $60 game out of each one when they're only covering 10% of the original game each step

no because they're literally only doing midgar in the first game and have admitted that they don't even know how many games they're going to make for the rest of it. they haven't done anything outside of midgar yet and won't have for at least another year.

I wonder how many "special purchase material" they're going to have.

$5 for Cloud to change outfits to his female clothes?

Sure. Right after they actually model it in 2030.

Casual gamers and bandwagoners only know a few things about FF7, that would be Midgard, Cloud, and Sephiroth. For them this is a dream come true but in reality they don't understand a damn thing about the game as a whole and they have no interest or respect for the pacing and plot points that slowly play out and unfold over the course of the game.

In all honesty I believe Square never intended to remake FF7 in it's entirety, the remake we are seeing now is probably a project that was born out of the PS3 FF7 demo and from the very start it was only ever supposed to be just Midgard. The fact that they are JUST NOW starting to discuss the rest of the game goes to show that they've never had the big picture in mind and are only moving forward with potential episodes beyond Midgard due to the popularity and response they've gotten to the project.

It may end up being amazing but holy fuck waiting 15 fucking years to see it through to the end is not an appealing idea.

Correct, FF7 is a victim of it's own success. Midgar, Cloud and Sephiroth are so popular the game risks being consumed by them. It's not an uncommon theme for sequels, remakes and the like to fall into this trap, you'd think creators would have realise it by now.

The popular elements aren't anything without everything that supports them.

imagine caring about words, humanity was better off when we were all knowledge was oral, back then you could should say her name and everyone got along

>Japanese is エアリス (AeriSU)
>Entire rest of the world is AeriS
>MURICA makes it Aerith for no reason
Maybe NA could should say her name correctly in the first place.

>another doomsayers thread
seeth

They put so much time into just midgar it might as well just be the game at this point. The rest is gonna be rushed garbage or just never release, watch

Why do people think this

I sincerely only really liked Midgar so I might only get the first part. The rest of the game was okay but never really reached those heights for me. I'm a sucker for layered cities like this and Hengsha from DE:HR.

Go to bed gramps

>a character linked to the plot will be cut
Retard

We used to say Aeris. I don't know what happened.

no it will be scenario b where you play throguth midgard again but with tifa as the main character instead, and swapping character midfight will be dlc legendary edition only

Kingdom Hearts came out and changed it to Aerith officially.

Lol Red XIII is not at all critical to the plot, he's a science experiment that tags along until his own little story is told.

There is almost no episidoic rpg with more than 2 iterations that was ever sucessful. The only one I can think of is Mass Effect.
The generations of gamers change faster than we can think of. The fact that some groups continue talking about old games for 30 years doesn't make it profitable to do a 3 part story in the span of 5 years.
Since most people really don't ever finish the games they play, getting on a continued story where you should probably export your save files will be met with lower sales.
Even more, it seems we will have a console generation change in between the saga. Terrible timing imo.

Midgar being 10% of FF7 was the game's biggest mistake.

>MURICA makes it Aerith for no reason
Official spelling in Japan is also Aerith.

I would be surprised if they even finished a quarter of midgar

Attached: 1560090190101.jpg (550x625, 69K)

>symphonic music during the midgar part
They don't give a shit OP

youtube.com/watch?v=VDYDxOjvGXw

>tfw it's going to take them 30 years to finish the entire story, if they even finish it at all
At least I'll always have the original.

Attached: 1560244482007.jpg (848x1200, 170K)

Factually incorrect.

>Country that has no way of saying or writing 'TH' in their language spelled a name Aeri'TH'

Not that guy but every time people see the name as Aerith they pronounce it wrong. Aeris is easy to get right.

The name Tidus is the real mess though, I don't think I've heard anyone pronounce his name right.

Yeah, I was wrong. It was Earith from the start.

Attached: AerithConcept.jpg (360x483, 19K)

Yeah, Tidus was a weird one. I wanted to pronounce it TAIdus, but it was more like Teedus.

You mean E-A-R-TH

I'm not trying to start a retarded argument but Mako was a clever way of doing fantasy/sci-fi without relying on the old "punk" tropes

It says EarITH right there.
These days they use ず/ズ to make the sound of "th". Back then it was rarely or even almost never used even during the 90's and went more with す/ス.
The increased exposure and understanding between the languages sound and pronunciation made them adapt it. So if they made Aerith today, they'd spell it エアリズ. They just kept it as it is for convenience or something similar.

The name was based on the word EARTH
It would be E-A-R-TH

So what are we complaining about? I argued that the them calling her Aerith is justifiable compared to Aeris which was her name in western countries for a long time. I said th was used in Japan since the start but some fag said it was factually incorrect.
Spelling was based on Earth, sure. But the pronunciation sure wasn't.

Tee-doos

At least they are using UE4 instead of that quagmire of an engine they had before. Should help get the games out the door.

>tfw pronounced it Tid-us for years

Kids today use too much word punk. FF7 was simply a nature vs technology game with a supervillain.