youtube.com/watch?v=7t1mxoMIDfY&
youtube.com/watch?v=kxdO8S5ApOE
youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8E_1LkoAc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yep. It's amazing

yes

yeah

just fucking buy it already.

Babby's first metroidvania. It's pretty good, not as amazing as people like to claim.

Best Metroidvania ive ever played. Bugs are cool too.

Does it get better? I just got the dash move after beating hornet

Its pretty enjoyable. the music itself is top tier

Its better than Super Metroid and SotN you mong.

is it worth it

Attached: hk ce.png (708x579, 730K)

whats the best track from the game?

youtube.com/watch?v=5rwagL7Yrxo

Bigger than most people realize going in. Much to explore. it's 25 hours, if you rush. Up to about 60-70 hours if you really take your time to experience everything it has to offer.

The flow of gameplay goes from relaxing exploration, to sudden jumps in action packed fights. So it can be kind of jarring if you're in it for exploration, and then suddenly you need to perform quick actions. Or it can be boring if you're in it for the action and then you're stuck in an hour of downtime with nothing interesting to fight.

However, if you enjoy both exploration and fighting, then you will get the best of both.
- All kinds of paths and secrets and interesting places to search and loot to find.
-Many varied bosses, with fun as hell patterns, an unforgiving challenge to keep you on your toes.

Worth every dollar.

IMO it gets way more fun after you get the wall-jump ability, which is the next one you should find. Mobility options are always great. I remember the first time I played this on PC I got the dash ability, and somehow made my way through an obstacle course that you usually need wall-jump for, and made my way to a boss that was way too hard for me. Brooding Mawlek I think it was. Ate shit real hard there, stopped playing and didn't pick it back up until the Switch release.

S H I L L T H R E A D

I got it today, good fun. Although I accidentally walked into False Knight and Gruz Mother and got my was handed to me. Does anyone have any tips with bosses this early in the game without any abilities unlocked?

Those are usually the bosses that are fought first, without any real movement options in order to get you used to the game's combat. It's mostly pattern recognition and hand eye coordination. They both have a bench near-by, so even if you die you can go right back to try again without any real penalty. If you feel up to it you can go through Greenpath and beat the main boss there in order to get a dash ability, but you will probably have the same problem there.
TLDR; get good, don't get hit, learn when it's safe to heal.

You're supposed to fight both without any abilities. Git Gud.
1. Stop jumping excessively. A lot of new players do this for some reason. Don't jump unless you have to. Or else, you're making yourself an easier target.
2. Get used to swatting and running. Swat and run, swat and run.

Other than that. just get tense, and react quickly. The number one problem I see people have with this game, is that they have slow as fuck reaction timing. Act like you have goddamn blood pressure, and move quickly.

>All kinds of paths and secrets and interesting places to search and loot to find.
yes, finding another useless geo related item was riveting
>Many varied bosses, with fun as hell patterns, an unforgiving challenge to keep you on your toes
there are like 4 or 5 templates that the bosses use for their movement lol, i would not call that varied. when you understand this and you are at least 50% through the game you will begin to see the same bosses you fought, but in different skins.
take godmaster content for instance. they have the opportunity to create interesting bosses but just repeat it with sisters of battle and mantis lords, flying nosk and the miniboss from greenpath, pure vessel and hollow knight, and most uninspired of all, radiance and absolute radiance.

It starts slow but when you get wall jumps and double jumps the game picks up.

youtube.com/watch?v=5VjC20Jj3gk

the slow start is where a lot of people get lost in the into because it is, admittedly, very fucking boring

it's definitely worth sticking with though, it picks up after the mantis area

Attached: i've had enogh.png (644x694, 343K)

Honestly the levels are too big for no reason and it’s annoying walking around without a map for prolonged periods of time

Discovery also doesn’t happen well organically like Metroid. Half the shit in this game is TOO hidden.

Original Metroid was pretty bonkers without a guide imo

>look up the statistics on Steam
>65% of players have beaten False Knight
>56% have beaten Hornet
What in the goddamn

you don't get into the juicy lore bits until City of Tears so it makes sense

the empty earlygame is a fucking bore to play through but it's there that it really picks up quickly

The pretty environments kept me going throughout the early parts of the game. Hollow Knight is very aesthetic.

excellent choice

i'm a GODS AND GLORY kinda guy, myself
youtube.com/watch?v=UjBTtNU27Ec

Attached: 1550479126911.jpg (1278x723, 297K)

It's not the value of the reward that makes exploration worth while. It's the act of discovery itself that's exhilarating.

>there are like 4 or 5 templates that the bosses use for their movement
Wat?

>at least 50% through the game you will begin to see the same bosses you fought, but in different skins.
No you don't.

>take godmaster content for instance.
No. I wasn't even counting godmaster. Because it's such a separate thing. I wouldn't expect anyone to fuck with godmaster, until they've finished the main game.

Godmaster was never sold to you as an all new boss mode. It was sold as a glorified boss rush. Which it is.

>Playing the game for the lore.
Go read the wiki.

is it worth downloading on gamepass, is the real question

i'm not even an indie fag but i absolutely loved this game more than any aaa game from the year it came out. and it's cheap too so you have no excuse.

no lol
what is all this gay shit

Don't dip into the platinum/achievements. Shit is fucking hard

Just started thanks to game pass. Loving it so far but I love my switch and saw it’s going for $7.50 on switch eshop. 50% off. Should I buy it for the fuck of it?

Imagine having trouble with Gruz Mother

>babby mode map
YIIKES

get the geo collecting charm; it should be your first priority. try to find the nailsmith in the city of tears

just git gud

Attached: hkft.png (945x404, 279K)

Nope. The game is just overrated as fuck. And it's closer to a 2d souls-like than a metroidvania.

Good for you.

youtu.be/VzbXzIwPhgk

It's literally a 1:1 by-the-template no-gimmicks metroidvania.

Please tell me you don't think "you drop stuff when you die!" makes something Dark Souls.

This game is annoying, I hate all the backtracking. Like how am i supposed to rememeber where all the "areas you cant pass until you unlock x ability lol" are? Like, do you actually find it fun autistically backtracking through every area until you finally find where you needed to go by chance?
I just used a walkthrough to tell me where to go because i value my time.

>mark locations on your map
>use different colored pins for different types of obstacles
>know at a glance where you can find specific dead-ends
OH WOW SO HARD

>Everyone who likes games I don't like is literally paid to post about them on my secret club!

no, you aren't worth it

>open map
>see gap
>go to it
gee, that was hard

Attached: 1505841473376.png (252x352, 155K)

Is frame rate stable on the switch?

never had a problem with it.

>Babby's first metroidvania
>more difficult than Super Metroid and all Metroid-like Castlevanias combined
Why do you talk shit like that?

Attached: 1549879435553.gif (342x239, 981K)

>I liked the game, therefore it's the greatest game ever and everyone has to agree with me.

It's good, but temper your expectations. The game gets way more hype than it deserves, it's pretty derivative and there isn't really anything special about it beyond presentation. The amount of people saying it's the greatest game they ever played or some sort of life changing experience are just puzzling to me.

Sick counter.

Attached: 1508411822968.gif (411x175, 1015K)

this

YES!
It has the kind of charm that games had when I was a kid. Theres less handholding. Movement feels really smooth and responsive. Combat is fairly straightforward and simple in itself but is still fairly challenging, especially the later parts of the game. Music and atmosphere are top notch. Most of the story isn't spoonfed to you but rather told through the environment, and theres quite a bit of lore if you put just some effort into finding it out.
Most people hating on it are either spoiled zoomers who need instant gratification or people who are incapable of looking at the game objectively. Anyone with a slightly above average intelligence can see that it's objectively a great game, even if it doesn't happen to be for your specific taste.
For me it was one of the best gaming experiences in the last 8-10 years.
I'd give it 10/10

Nobody has claimed it's the greatest game ever made. Your strawman is foolish and only shows you to be a fool.

>Only 90 hours
I refuse to believe that.

Attached: pointy.jpg (1280x720, 177K)

In the 50+ hours I played, the framerate significantly stuttered twice, and one of those moments was apparently a memory leak they patched.

>Implying the original argument wasn't a strawman

If you have the time to waste and are not worried about getting spoiled, witness.

youtube.com/watch?v=7t1mxoMIDfY&

But it was you who claimed this was a shill thread. It is you who have made the original argument, and it was indeed a strawman, as none are shills. Australian money is no good here.

Isn't this the retard who couldn't figure out the vine ropes

Give me back my phone.

What's unbelievable about that? Main game takes like 20-30 hours, the rest of the time was spent on the extra bosses and achievements. Didn't do all bindings though.

Lol I wasn't the user who said it was (although it's kinda true)

>The game gets way more hype than it deserves
>The amount of people saying it's the greatest game they ever played or some sort of life changing experience are just puzzling to me
It's not rocket science. Clearly you don't like the game as much as these people so of course you don't get the hype.

Attached: 1549879435554.gif (220x335, 300K)

Still not a metroidvania.

This. Is it a Metroid game? Is it a Castlevania game? No it isn't. Fucking retards.

I'm anxious about the Steel Heart achievement which requires 100% game completion and finish the game in Steel Soul mode. Does it require you to do every Trial at the Colosseum of Fools?

I for one get paid in didgeridoos.

Hmm.

>The term 'Metroidvania' is most often used to refer to a platforming game that features a single large, interconnected map, generally with discrete rooms or sections.
Check.

>Not all areas of this map are available at the start, often requiring the player to obtain an item (such as a weapon or key) or a new character ability to remove some obstacle blocking the path forward
Check.

> Often, this item is protected by a boss character, providing story-driven challenges throughout the game.
Check.

>Maps are non-linear, and often require the player to traverse the map multiple times during the course of the game. Weaker monsters will inhabit other parts of the level, re-spawning when the player revisits those rooms, and often can be defeated to gain health, ammunition, or experience points.
Check.

>Larger games generally feature save points as well as the ability to transport the player quickly between certain rooms on far sides of the map, eliminating tedious retracking in the latter parts of the game.
Check.

>Access to new abilities can also open up shortcuts that reduce travel time, as well as discover secrets that help to improve the character's abilities. For example, gaining access to double jump or wall jump abilities can give players more mobility,
Check.

>As such, the genre focuses on exploration of a large world map, and advancement of the player-character abilities over time.
Check.

>Metroidvania is generally associated with game levels/maps that are laid out as two-dimensional side scrollers, with the player character moving left, right, up and down through the level.
Check.

>Igarashi described what he believed were key elements in the genre. These include designing maps that encourage exploration but which still guide the player on a main path through the game and providing means where the player can be aware of where they are in the game world at any time
Sure sounds like a metroidvania to me.

At least they were fun, unlike the boring overrated mess of a "game", faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=kxdO8S5ApOE

Try harder.

There's a total of 112%, so you can just dip into the "dlc" content instead of doing the colosseum if you want. Like getting the charms added in grimm troupe, getting godtuner, beating hive knight, etc.

>gives a solid proof that the game fills the terms of the genre
>try harder

Attached: 1508458771663.gif (462x276, 1.64M)

Ah, that's neat. Thanks for the tip. Also, you can always reset the game if it seems you're going to die in a boss, similar to Ori's no-death run, right?

Yeah quitting to menu sends you back to last bench. If you want to play really safe you can quit out when you get to 1/2 masks left. Can also be used for quick warping to save time in speedrun.

>Posts a gif
>Not trying enough

A metroidvania is a castlevania game that plays like metroid, used to categorize the two main types of game in the franchise. Now you zoomers call every fucking adventure platformer a metroidvania, it doesn't even make sense as the name of a genre.

Nobody cares if you think it makes sense. It IS the name.

Is it really that big of an issue.

How would you describe Hollow Knight to your friend?

Yes because people stamps they trash games as metroidvania while they're not, as if it grantees quality.

For example, Dead Cells was branded as such, but was everything but. Meanwhile, there is games like Axiom Verge who are truely faithful to the genre.

Pure garbage, avoid at all costs.

The only missing trophy for me in PS4 is PoH, god damn that fucking trophy

a Buggy Metroidvania
wait no, a Metroidvania where you play as bugs.

Cute opinion.

Not really, I just think the name is really fucking stupid.
A soulskiroborne-like scotsforming willyvania obviously.

A 2D adventure platformer game.

I bought it. Can't wait for it.

Maps looks pretty.

That's how Team Cherry describes it. Well, 2D action-adventure to be exact.
>I just think the name is really fucking stupid
The term has become just as problematic as roguelike vs. rogue-lite vs. anything in between.

This game is boring af for me. And where the fuck am I even supposed to go?

Follow the Pilgrim's Path to the City at the heart of the kingdom of Hallownest.

Here.

Attached: 1536998842232.jpg (900x1200, 95K)

Buy Clairvoyance Shell from the store and a sparkling trail of fireflies will guide you.

Okay so just heads up. I defeated false knight, got some big ass ant to ride or whatever and did something for a shaman. So where to then? Because I explored every corner of the map and there is absolutely nothing to do. But ye I guess I will buy that item.

>Open the map
>Look for unexplored corridors
>Explore them
Spoonfed casualfags need to be filtered out harder than this

Go left. There's an armadildo there. Use magic to kill it and go into the Green Path.

>mark locations on your map
wait, could you always do this?

post your face when the forgotten crossroads turns into the infected crossroads

Attached: 1488308541864.jpg (1882x1073, 257K)

>See it for the first time.
Neat.
>See it fucks over the path to where I want to go next.
Fuck.

>mfw when the forgotten crossroads turns into the infected crossroads

Attached: hollow knight is my favorite game.png (210x240, 6K)

You could if you bought the pins from the store. You did do that, right?

>missing one grub

Attached: 15063262265544.gif (320x205, 2.38M)

>the game literally tells you where they all are
>marks them right there on your map
How can you possibly miss them?

It wasn't there when the game launched, you have to buy them in the shop though.

Attached: screenshot-hollowknight.fandom.com-2019.06.14-04-16-42.png (865x697, 61K)

Step up, shitters.
I havent even played the last 2 DLCs yet (and probably never will but cant wait for Silksong)

Attached: 1551733501937.png (797x275, 98K)

yes

Attached: IMG_20190602_162636.jpg (2636x973, 215K)

What charms to use for Trial of the Fool?

Im the guy with 270 hours in and Ive finished everything barring bindings. How the fuck do you play this long doing nothing? Did you spend 300 hours going on strolls in fog canyon?

yes

It's on sale on the eShop (I picked it up for 7.50 yurodollars on my switch). It's really fun and right now you can get it for cheap on mostly any platform

The person who made this edit is a reddit faggot. 1000% funnier when it's just the irl sun

Did you even read what I said?

He's probably one of those mentally ill retards with 800 games who leaves his pc on over night to rake up hours

This

It's the most perfect game I've played in a long time. There is nothing pointless in the game and there is nothing that needs to be fixed.
It's a game that you need to approach with both curiosity and zeal to master it. If you do that you will be rewarded with fun fights to master and and interesting world to explore.
If you come in with the expectation that the game will tell you where to go with a big glowing arrow or that you can beat bosses by overleveling and facetanking. Then you're going to have a poor experience.

It's a classic in the making.

I used something like unbreakable heart+strength, quick slash, long nail, dream wielder. Kills quickly and you can spam dream nail on last enemy of wave to heal up. Could also drop strength and long nail to use nailmaster's glory instead (other nail charms don't affect arts), fill in some other charms, and spam charge slashes and spin attacks.

>Explored every corner of the map
>Except for those corridors to the left of the crossroads
>Which even show up on the map
Keep being mad your spoonfed ass got filtered you fucking baby

Based zoomer autism

>Its better than Super Metroid and SotN
all GBA castlevanias are better than HK

Help I'm trying to true 100% this game in Godhome.
>beat Pantheons 1-4 then play 5th until I unlock WNosk, SoB, and AR
>Attune the Hall of Gods
>beat Pantheon 5 once and get flowerless ending
>Ascend the Hall of Gods
>beat Pantheons 1-4 with all bindings >[You Are Here]Radiant the Hall of Gods
>Give Godseeker Delicate Flower and beat 5th with all bindings
>Bask in the glory of my achievement in the Land of Storms
How the FUCK do I deal with Collector's and Zote's spawners? I dread Pure Vessel less.

Attached: 1552177315862.png (1280x1796, 2.82M)

The problem I have with both GBA and NDS Castlevanias is that they are easy as fuck. Hollow Knight gave me a good challenge, which easily raised the bar in my book.

just a heads up, steam doesn't catalogue play time in offline mode.

>PoH
>With bindings
Im perfectly happy without the weathered mask thank you

(you)

>implying

Attached: 20190301130907_1.jpg (1920x1080, 196K)

btfo

Nah.
I did some beta-testing of the upcoming first DLC Hidden Dreams.
I did speedruning and developed few routes.
I also did modding.

It is overall summary of that.

Fucking leftist education in our public schools crippling critical thinking. Damn you're dumb user.

Is that your first save file user? Mine sits at 117 hours to 112% the game

I don't just want bindings I want them to GLOW. Nice pretty lights.

>The game gets way more hype than it deserves, it's pretty derivative and there isn't really anything special about it beyond presentation.

Yep, it does nothing new but 90% of steam users never played metroid

Yes. After getting to like 97% I did look up the remaining item locations though. I think each pantheon took me around 5 attempts, but I did take some time to do the bindings of the first three before clearing 5th. I realized that was an older screenshot though. Took another 9 hours to do all the radiants.

Attached: 20190308144558_1.jpg (1920x1080, 195K)

>you need to approach with both curiosity and zeal to master it.

Did you never play a platformer game before HK?

The shit combat and backtracking really, really kill it for me. The atmosphere and lore are the only things I like about it so I have a hard time giving a shit about slogging through content I dont like. Big shame

>A metroidvania is a castlevania game that plays like metroid
Wrong.
Metrdoivania has only so much to do with Metroid.
I will blow your mind - Metroid isnt even a proper metroidvania. The whole term was born as new genre was born incorporating best from Metroid and Castlevania. Here is a food analogy: butter + bread = sandwich, but you wouldnt call just butter or bread a sandwich, right? Right.

Anyway, in 1997 there was only one metroidvania - SoTN. In the past 20 years since its release, actual, proper metrodvania games that really could be classified as metroidvania could be counted by fingers. I'd say there was about 3 or 4 at best.

Attached: 1532760210100.jpg (625x625, 78K)

>The shit combat
Explain?

You seem to be inventing definitions of the word not shared by any of the people using it.

It's not hard.
>HURR YOU NEED TO DIE TO THE SAME BOSS A HUNDRED TIMES TO LEARN THE PATTERN TO BEAT IT HURR
That's not difficulty, that's tedium. Game was too easy, all the difficulty was artificial. Dropped it when I had to fight two mantises at once. You call that a boss? Give me one at a time you retards. They know nothing about game design.

>It's not hard
>Game was too easy
>backtracking
>Dropped it when I had to fight two mantises at once

Attached: 1508458771662.gif (285x285, 620K)

> coping this hard after being proven wrong
yeah
Here is a hint - no matter how many shitty, low-effort pixel-shit platfrormer-clones will be calling their games "metroidvania" - it wont change word's meaning. With the same success they can their game masterpieces and they wont be one.

Feel free to provide exhaustive list of all games since 1997 that resemble what SoTN was, a a metroidvania, to full extent. It would be easy for me to debunk any of them, with a simple breakdown of the elements and features and approach to the design SoTN had.

>Got filtered at the most choreographed boss fight with literally three attacks to learn
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I am so happy filthy scrubs like you can do nothing but shitpost about this game

Fuck off, SOTN and every GBA and DS Castlevania are easy as fuck.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to define words. Usage defines words.

Alright then, why dont you define what 'metroidvania' as a genre means?

actual reply here
I just dont like the fact that the entire enemies body is a hitbox, or that their attacks come out within 2 or 3 frames. It leads to trial and error, and reading attack tells instead of reacting to incoming, dynamic threats. Learning patterns is just plain boring and tedious instead of dynamically learning to avoid attacks that can come out depending on range/speed/more.

I know its tiring but Dark Souls does this a lot better. Bosses can do almost any attack anywhere, but its far more likely for them to do X slam or Y sweep when youre this or that far away from them. It creates a whole new level of spacing, timing and reacting when you can kind of play to those mechanics. In 2D games like Hollow Knight its just a set pattern A LOT of the time and it simply gets tiring because then it purely becomes about trial and error instead of your own reaction time and adaptability.

>DIE TO THE SAME BOSS A HUNDRED TIMES
>Game was too easy
>thinking mantis lords is hard
So this is what a shitter looks like. You should be able to beat almost all bosses in this game on first or second try, all of their attacks are telegraphed and you can heal off mistakes. Mantis lords don't even have to be fought early, and if you die the game tells you to come back later with a stronger weapon.

I'm awful at vidya so I kept failing it but it's a fun experience

>Tell me about this game, worth getting?
Yes

Attached: 7n0t7nf0nbj21.jpg (1200x1200, 221K)

>Because I explored every corner of the map and there is absolutely nothing to do.

If you can't figure out that you need to use the ranged attack you got from the shaman to get into Greenpath you should probably quit the game right now.

Hi, pattern guy.
I like that you are still alive and kicking. What games have you played lately?

>Hurr durr reading a boss attack patterns and learning boss fights is too tedious!
>Hurr durrr muh Dark Souls ;)
Just neck yourself already
You got filtered because youre a spoiled unskilled fuck. Either git gud or fuck off

I know that map.
It used to float around HK threads back in the day.

Attached: 1499119211497.png (1361x961, 2.79M)

The only person you're trolling is yourself by refusing to play one of the best games of all time.

More Saw your grace?

Attached: Adobe_20190614_101347.png (1068x956, 255K)

GET THE BUZZSAW STRETCHER

haha, sexx sucks!! i enjoy not having a gf!!!

(xd trolled you!!)

>These fucks are gonna whine so hard about getting filtered by silksong
I cant fucking wait for the tears to flow

Reminder that there exist people who got filtered by Cornifer

Have literally never posted in a HK thread before but ok
Excellent argument
>spoiled unskilled fuck
No, I just vastly prefer a different system than that of HK which is purely annoying and unfun. The combat is simply not satisfying and theres barely anything interesting to do with your 2 melee hits and a couple types of magic. The variety is nonexistent, the enemy types are samey and the boss fights are filled with trial and error.
Dark Souls combat is far from perfect but at least it gives you more tools than a simple sword with literally 3 different animations

>resembles Pale King
>Colosseum is inside the corpse of what is obviously a Wyrm
Explain Lord Fool's endgame to me.

Attached: Lord Fool.png (460x1076, 346K)

What if the canon end for the Grimm Troupe is Little Ghost actually helping them rise a new Troupe Master and we can summon the Troupe in Silksong

Attached: 1553535693989.jpg (1082x818, 83K)

>Filtered

I think you mean "found no reason to attempt this boring game more times".

I've played just about every Metroidvania ever made and I think Hollow Knight is 10/10 and a level above everything else.

The term was born to describe exclusively games in the castlevania series after symphony of the night that played like symphony of the night. It wasn't until 2009 or 2010 that people started to use it as the name of a genre.

>Took the bait so readily
Hey butthurt scrub. I think you should stick to mobile gachas

harder =/= better

What's to the left of Lake of Unn, Queen's Gardens and Deepnest? What's to the right of Crystal Peak, Kingdom's Edge and the Hive? I must know.
I MUST!

Attached: Cornifer.png (398x214, 62K)

>Like how am i supposed to rememeber where all the "areas you cant pass until you unlock x ability lol" are?

With your brain?

>purely becomes about trial and error instead of your own reaction time and adaptability
Everything in Hollow Knight is reactable though. You learn how to dodge each attack individually, not memorize a set AI pattern. Dark Souls bosses telegraph their attacks too, so I don't even know what you are arguing besides 2D games not using positional AI as much.

Attached: 2019-02-25 21-42-52.webm (640x360, 2.94M)

>Higher beings, these words are for you alone
>These blasted plains stretch never ending. Those foolish enough to wander into these wastes must pay the toll and relinquish the precious mind this kingdom grants.
There's your answer

They also both died sitting in their thrones

>Doing Mantis Lords in Godmaster
All 3 Mantis Stands up

Attached: 1382053279506.jpg (500x671, 71K)

Bapa nada.

Attached: Iselda.png (453x448, 194K)

You're a fucking retard if you think Hollow Knight isn't a Metroidvania.

Found one

Okay, I've never expected that there would be another one like you, honestly. There was user who used same logic and even the same vocabulary to define what types of attacks are good and what are bad and how attacks with wind-up tells and quick executions are worse than attacks with no wind-ups and slow executions that you can react to and dodge.

That's on the surface. But underground?
>that little gesture they do with their arms
Cute bu also hype.

I never played further than the first boss

>But underground?
Same thing. The deepnest is an example of what happens if you stray too far from the center of the kingdom
Filtered by False knight or Gruz Mother.
I cannot comprehend how you live with your absolute lack of skill. Does the overwhelming shame not faze you?

>In 2D games like Hollow Knight its just a set pattern A LOT of the time and it simply gets tiring because then it purely becomes about trial and error instead of your own reaction time and adaptability.

What? Hollow Knight requires far less trial and error than Dark Souls for the exact reasons you listed, you can clearly see what can and can't hit you. In Dark Souls it's trial and error on most bosses learning where you can and can't stand for certain attacks.

So how the fuck does anyone come to the kingdom from the outside genius? Where is Silksong set?

>I cannot comprehend how you live with your absolute lack of skill

I played into SL1 runs on dark souls and probably just burnt myself out forever thereafter.

That's exactly the point. It normally shouldnt be possible, and yet here we are.
Finding an answer to that question is one of the main objectives of silksong, you dumb fuck

I know right. There's a guy in this thread complaining that he's explored everywhere and can't find out where to go next, he just got the ranged attack and can't figure out that he has to go to Greenpath. These are the types of people who post about how Hollow Knight is "overrated" or "nothing special" and then go back to Aria of Sorrow.

Oh man, I pity the people that spoiled themselves using this map.
Finding every location is so satisfying.

>a question is asked
>give a retarded answer
>it is pointed out your answer is retarded
>THAT'S THE POINT YOU DUMB FUCK
user go home, you've had enough.

It’s funny that team cherry deliberately made getting the ranged attack a 1:1 for clearing the greenpath’s route, yet some people still don’t get it.

it IS inside a wyrm, the other end.

>Hornet herself asks if the forge daughter is composed and sane
You fucking idiot

Sit down you're drunk

Realized I meant to reply to

Wyrms have two heads?

>Hallownest paraded around as the one kingdom, the eternal kingdom yada yada yada
>Even though there is proof that a civilization existed before it
>Even though there is proof that other kingdoms exist(ed) elsewhere (the godseeker for example)
Nothing about these was ever elaborated and how they exist was never stated
What is known is that the denizens of hallownest needed a god, a light to unite under and build. It stands to reason Pharloom is something similar and the wastes between them are full of mindless savages
Its not a hard concept

>mindless savages
Wow, rude!

Pillars of Hercules were called non plus ultra too, but it was just an advice for people to not start a travel that would lead to nearly certain death.

I beat the final boss and got majorly burnt out.
At some point I do want to go back and fight all the hidden bosses, but I don't know how I should do that.
Would it be better to start a new file and do the whole thing at once, because I'd be totally lost if I went back now.

Here there be dragons, yo

>try to go back to Shovel Knight after beating HK
>It's too slow and the movement isn't satisfying
This is what I hope Silksong does

Haven't been to a few of the late game areas yet, should I just go and fight hollow knight to get the first ending then go back and do all the other shit after?

You'll need multiple playthroughs anyway so might as well start a new one.
Go beat him up user!

The Deepnest was an independent kingdom and they were far from savages.
You're just reading too much into sawfag propaganda.

Tell me about Bane

Why do you need multiple playthroughs?
Is there some content that only unlocks on second plays?

They were savages though.
There are like three sane bugs there.

There's Steel Soul mode, and there's different ways you can resolve some side quests like Zote or the Nailsmith.

for me? Its the nightmare king theme
youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8E_1LkoAc

Attached: ABSOLUTELY RADIANT.png (597x421, 344K)

>I'm a servant to the nest, though few in recent times would seek my service. Our brood is lost to that pestilence of the mind. A sad fall for the most intelligent species.

Reminder that Pale King had to go there and tap that to sire Hornet.

Guys how did the Grimm Troupe come to Dirtmouth? There's nothing but endless wastelands everywhere...

>The whole term was born as new genre was born incorporating best from Metroid
Super Metroid, not Metroid.

Shouldn't it be called Super Castle then?

Because it sounds like shit.

D O S A

BRAAAPa nada

No?

Theres other stuff, pale king came from outside the kingdom, so did ornifer and bapa nada, as did little ghost.

Little Ghost is the Pale King

A most pungent odor!

Attached: Tuk.png (249x300, 70K)

Jinn did too.

Attached: Jinn.png (330x372, 103K)

>Link the fire or break the cycle endings
Some stuff Is straight up lifted from Souls Games

>he cant learn the patterns in max 5 tries

Attached: 5822087a64528cd285331f9ff253961a8f508f2e6392f72be31595e0fc71a8e5.png (600x575, 482K)

FUCK JUST GIVE ME SILKSONG ALREADY

INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS

L-Lads.

This is basically just the second or third boss fight.

Attached: PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER.webm (800x450, 2.91M)

A cane sword(nail)? How classy!

shopkeeper sells 20 pins of different colors that you can place on your map
>gee i wonder what they are for
if you really value your time just stop playing videogames already

i would just like the knight to have a little bit more momentum, he feels weightless. sure it works given the gameplayt but it wouldn't hurt to have 15 % of an Ori style gravity

Silksong is basically a stand-alone expansion. It should start at a higher difficulty than Hollow Knight did.

Wait, what happens if you are on the ground when Lace slams after Judgment cut end?
Hornet mini jumped both times.

it probably doens't have many bosses, that's why

Decent bait. Caught a few retards but most people ignored you. 6/10.

im sure is at least better than Harmony of Dissonance.

This looks easier than an average bot difficulty smash bros fight

Dead cells is called a Roguevania you imbecile
Rogue for roguelike
Vania for castlevania like

No way. If it was that short then they would have announced a release date at E3.

i may or may not know of a silk crack den but how can i be sure you aint a popo narc bitch

>Tell me about this game, worth getting?
its a brainless action platformer. starts 4/10 ends 6/10.

Get the fuck back into your containment threads

> It wasn't until 2009 or 2010 that people started to use it as the name of a genre.

Shadow Complex was known as a Metroidvania when it released in 2009.

either this is bait or it's a good reminder that you share the /v board with people like that. Humans aren't all equal

Ahem! The proper term is actually "Hollow Knight-like".

I bet you're one of those "Darkest Dungeon is nothing but RNG" retards too. What is wrong with some people on this board.

I know there was someone here who got stuck because he thought he needed to buy the lantern to progress out of the Crossroads.

trollface.jpg

kek. i'm not the only one

ART

Attached: 1541627044529.jpg (1000x900, 243K)

a stun ?

Oh no, is Hornet-chan going to get femdommed?

Attached: 1545599831394.jpg (750x750, 41K)

What's with all that latent sexual tension? Why the fuck is Team Cherry pandering to yuritards?

You can beat average bots by just button mashing. I know, because I can beat average bots and I don't even know the controls in Smash Bros.

Unironic shitter question here.

After I get the city crest, what do I do? I'm a dumb boomer who is starting to age out of video games and all of this old-fashioned "glowing directional arrows are for retards" is wearing me thin.

>the hunter is now the hunted
NOICE

So right around the same time I said that people started to use the term to describe a genre

thanks, but its time for you to go back to the hollow knight discord.

Go into the city obviously. That's what it's for.

> The term was born to describe exclusively games in the castlevania series after symphony of the night that played like symphony of the night.
Incorrect. This term was used as a genre definition after SoTN quite a lot.
Aquaria and Cave Story were one of the early PC games I remember that often called "metroidvanias" but incorrectly.

Darkest Dungeon is a shitty grind fest, I've never heard anyone describe it as "nothing but rng."

What they say is that bad RNG at certain instances can force you have to have to replay hours of the same shitty content for another attempt at what killed you.

been playing for like an hour now and i dont get what im supposed to be doing, not having much fun just running around killing fodder enemies

underrated post

You're supposed to be moving forward, not walking in circles. Go fight some bosses already.

where the fuck are they?

If you haven't run into either of them after an hour you're obviously not even trying to explore. Why you be like that man? Look at the empty spots on your map.

>what is any boss fight ever
Basically you're saying you just want to mash a button and then get a victory out of it.

because HARD equals GOOD
t. a fucking brainlet

It was Yea Forumss GOTY of 2017

Attached: D867so9W4AIkeS5.jpg (1000x1098, 81K)

>After I get the city crest
As in from the False Knight?
Go and get the fireball spell a screen to the left and then you'll be able to go to Greenpath.
The map is your friend, the map guy can usually be found in a new area without much trouble just by trying all possible exits.

post more of them together

Basically what you want to do is buy a map from Cornifer and then go back to Dirtmouth and buy a quill from his wife so you can draw the new rooms. When you sit at a bench the rooms you've been in will be filled out and from there you can see all possible paths you've missed. You can also buy some pins to mark benches and stuff but also pins that you can place yourself for places you need further abilities for and the like.
If you're a mouthbreather there is also a compass that will show your position on the map but I found that it makes you pay less attention to your surroundings.

Attached: the lace and hornet show.jpg (533x1627, 231K)

Here's a high res version. Just print it out on decent paper and you have the same map as in that shitty bundle.

Attached: hk_map_2.jpg (4183x2955, 3.68M)

Silksong unironically looks better than the original game in every way.

Nice blogs, Upvoted. Im glad that you called out that retard with those wrong opinions. I mean just making something more difficult doesnt make it better, why thats just common sense. True video games should require little to no involvement from the player.

>spoils everything
>doesn't show Abyss
What is even the point?

But user, the abyss is literally a deep hole in the ground with nothing of importance inside!

No cost too great...

>Higher beings, these words are for you alone.

>Our pure vessel has ascended. Beyond lies the refuse and regret of its creation.

>We shall enter that place no longer.
See? Nothing of significance. Maybe some random junk

dude just lemme take a peek

i'll give you a buzzsaw

>Buzzsaw
Nah. Kingsoul or bust.
Also, not just anyone can get in. Come back wearing a brand of some significance if you want in
Until then, the abyss is just an empty hole as far as you're concerned. Beat it

Attached: 1558654294989.png (500x250, 54K)

Why are moths so evil?

Attached: 1531928416130.png (730x899, 261K)

Now you're lying.

You're right, it's the margarine of the genre

It was marketed as a metroidvania, you dimwit

>tfw got filtered by Nightmare Grimm

Still 10/10 game but fuck that guy

He's not that hard once you get the hang of it.
There is plenty of time to heal on like half his moves so even if you're a shitter like me that keeps getting hit you can manage.

He may be is but I'm not.
Name a metroidvania or a shallow attempt that calls itself one for the free marketing and I will probably know about it at worst or tried.

Rabi-Ribi, ESA, Salt and Sanctuary, Momodora, and Valdis Story are all better than HK.

Attached: C76528EE-D60A-4625-B051-7BC23B76EC51.png (3000x3000, 805K)

Reminder that moth trapping is a cheap, easy and fun hobby

Attached: IMG_20190319_223722.jpg (2048x1536, 1.5M)

Nah not really honestly, unless you're already a huge fan of the game and the merch pieces seem cool to have.

I have to keep kicking moths out of my house all the time, bloody freeloaders. My spider-bros at least serve a function.

From what i remember the Radiance wasnt really evil in HK only it god mad when the Pale King basically took her whole kingdom away from her, isnt that how it went? Seems reasonable to be mad about it

Local moth girls want to fuck YOU tonight.

Attached: IMG_20190508_122854.jpg (2048x1536, 1.43M)

In Australia, Moth fuck YOU

This moth even admitted to having been a villain and needing redemption.

Attached: Moth and light.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

>Rabi-Ribi
Know about it, dont consider metroidvania but shmup platformer instead. Not a fun of gameplay loop and art but to each his own.

>ESA
Bingo! One of 3 actual metroidvanias in the past 20 years. Not bad user, not bad.

>Momodora
Which one? The 4th one ALMOST was a proper metroidvania. It is really good. If you liked it - check out Momo3.

>Valdis Story
I FUCKING love VS. It is one of my favs out there. Still, not a metroidvania.

>From what i remember the Radiance wasnt really evil in HK
No, it wasnt evil nor really "mad". It is like saying cold is mad because it makes you cold. Very silly.

Those are the literal babymode tutorial bosses. You can just bumble your way through gruz mother no problem, just be aggressive at slashing her and it won't even matter that you get hit by being bad everytime she starts he spastic slam attack. She also gives you ample time to heal yourself up.
False knight is slightly tougher because he's intimidating and has an actual moveset. Try to just get into a rhythm of hitting him 2-3 times and then backing off, that should make it a lot safer for you. When you back off keep enough distance to not get hit by his hammer, but close enough that if he leaps toward you, you can just walk under him.
They're both really straightforward fights, and the only real advice to give is "don't get hit". The only 'ability' you have right now is bouncing off enemies with your down-slash, but that's not useful for either boss.

yes please do

Physical copy? Yes (includes that map btw)
Collector's edition? Fuck no, never

Are there any bosses from 1 you would like in 2? I'd love if Grimm returned and i guess it would make kinda sense story wise as he travels throught the lands

Attached: 1537352365762.jpg (414x415, 114K)

Cornifer travels too, making cards but he isnt there.

I doubt there will be any old bosses. Maaaybe Zote since he was comic relief character?

But I killed them all.

If you're into Metroidvanias.

I agree that there probably won't and shouldn't be any boss carry-overs, but I'd like to see Bretta show up again since she did leave for other lands.

Not a boss but we know Iselda was a warrior before, it would be cool to have her as a boss.
For the same reason I'd like Quirrell and, if it's a prequel, maybe Cloth and Tiso.

No old bosses, but I think we'll see Little Ghost and Hollow Knight in a flashback like the flashback Little Ghost has in the Abyss.

>Little Ghost
That's the dumbest name for the player character I've ever heard.

Isolde as a boss would be too scary.

But it's pretty accurate.

I'll probably get it today, only 7.50 on switch right now. Feel obligated to try at that price

so you just have to wander blindly though every area until you happen to find cornifer?

It isnt a player character name, though. His is called just Knight (or Hollow Knight later) and Little Ghost is what Hornet calls him. I dont recall anyone else using this name so it just her using the nickname

Kinda, yes. But he leaves paper trail for you as you draw closer so you might wanna look out for that.

I think the lore of HK is really cool and unconventional.
It acknowledges that higher beings are gods and above regular bugs.
Gods are also the only way for bugs to evolve and gain sentience.
Leading to kingdoms forming around gods and falling in their absence.

>blindly
No, pay attention to your surroundings you fool.

Cornifer is almost always in the start of the area. The only one where he wasnt i am pretty sure was fog canyon

Team Cherry confirmed that Silksong map is gonna be as big, if not bigger then original game

Yes

yea in fog canyon he's behind some magic wall

But you'll hear his humming so when you get into the area from a different side you'll know where to go.

Looks tight, what seems to be the problem?

Nothing, read replies

I'm like half an hour into this game (it's on sale on the eshop). I'm kinda lost since I'm not too much into Metroidvanias. I can't get to places I've found before by accident like the dude that slams you with a door or something. Where do I take the long jump/dash/whatever? I think just need an upgrade to get going? Anyway, not fun at all so far, but I guess the game has some good aspects

No, that was Johnathan Blow.

> Where do I take the long jump/dash/whatever?
Different areas. You will obtain the dash in the Green Path. It will change your life, but you will have to earn it.
Only 56% of players have, mind you. Are you a scrub or are you a man?

>half the bosses are just a sprite that floats around and spawns projectiles
>they're actually fun and varied
How did they do it?

Definitely

Iterated 9000 times until it was fun
Basically did what 99% of shitty indie too lazy to do

Expected, with Hornet being more agile and faster a smaller map would actually be a problem

He isn't in the begining of Royal Waterways either

I think you probably didn't fight the first story boss, it's the one marked on your map.
Don't bother with the enemy with the large pole, it's kinda brutal at first, you might have trouble beating it and it's entirely optional.
I'd suggest to keep going, continue exploring, I'd recommend buying some map tools like the quill and the pins, eventually you might find a new merchant who will sell you a charm that allows you to pick up geo (the currency) automatically which is awesome when starting.
Learn the patterns of strong enemies, don't try to attack too much, hit and run is sometimes the best strategy. When you're safe, heal any damage you took. If at any point when you're not attacked, you're not at full health but your soul gauge is filled enough, then you're not playing it right.
You should force yourself to play at least until you arrive to the city of tears, it's when the game gets really great imo, and it's from that point that you understand how intricate the world is.

>tfw Bretta has more possibilities making an appearance in Silksong than Quirrel

Attached: 1525744642657.jpg (514x357, 20K)

Quirrel's at peace. Let him go.

I imagine silksong will have more general barriers rather than mobility gateways, given hornet can move much more easily than the knight

Quirrel was basically reshaped and programmed by Monomon to do one particular thing. It was his life's meaning. I dont think he would be interested running around for adventures after that

Yeah that's gonna suck

Sometimes there's nothing wrong in defying your destiny.

Either we get lots of barriers behind items like keys and the like, or there's actually very few barriers and the exploration is way more open than Hollow Knight.
I hope it's the latter.

?
He fullfileld it, what is there to deny? I think he just want some peace. Sucks Tuk fell victim to infection, they had some friendship

That's a different character from the one Quirrel met in the comic.

It was the same, devs confirmed it in one of the streams.

What makes this game so good then Yea Forums?

kek
Well, it seems I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Attached: IMG_20190613_195350.jpg (1471x2112, 367K)

>leads to trial and error
Not really, the regular bosses aren't even difficult if you pay attention to their patterns. It's all about practicing, you can't just go in and mash buttons until the boss is dead (for the most part) Use spells, time your dashes, get good charms.

Attached: 20190526_202711.jpg (4032x3024, 3.27M)

I mean they even look the same.

Basically it takes lots of things from the exploration and combat of classic metroidvanias and the game design philosophy and lore of Soulsborne games. It doesn't really bring anything new to the table but it does everything a little bit better than anyone else.

It's comfy. Is that not the way of it?

Hollow Knight is an okay game but often liked by manchildren who like to think they're deep and smart, but who's understanding of intelligence ends at 'smart people are sad sometimes right?', and so when it rains outside they play Hollow Knight, they sit staring at the screen in faux melancholy, sipping tea which they don't like the taste of trying to think of times they've felt pain in the past, but because they've led such sheltered, cotton-balled lives they just settle for putting on a frowny face and acting out what glum might look like if you explained 'glum' to an infant and told them to act it out.

Attached: bench.jpg (203x173, 11K)

>that hornet dress

Attached: 1545951585456.gif (188x174, 474K)

> sipping tea which they don't like the taste of
Do people really do this? Green tea is delicious but it's not for everyone.

to be fair he makes a lot of sound just to make sure he's easy to find

They grasp what makes the genre fun, and listen to feedback from people that actually enjoy the game and want more from it, rather than from those that want to be pandered to.

Now that I think of it, it's clever that moth seer says "Radiance" instead of "The Radiance". If she only says Radiance and it's at the start of a sentence, it's capitalized but it doesn't give away that it's a name.

at first it looked breathtakingly beautiful and then the enemies started exploding

Attached: 1523117185042.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

>the one place he doesn’t make himself obvious is deepnest
>the area with the least benches, furthest away stag station, most ambush enemies and pitfalls
>where enemies start to get significantly tougher if you haven’t upgraded your weapon
>and a bench that’s placed as a trap so you can’t get back to the normal areas by dying
I love those Aussie bastards.

Did Seer want you to break the seals with the intent of liberating the Radiance or because she actually knew of your nature as a vessel?

>tfw you just fall into the bottom of a huge shaft, have no idea where you are, sit on a bench on reflex and realize you're fucked

Attached: AAAAAHHHHH.png (1280x1024, 1.21M)

It's funny because I too thought there was some sort of caveat to the game when it went on sale for $7, couldn't have been more wrong. Just be grateful that team cherry exist and play the game.

>Babby's first metroidvania
literally harder than any other metroidvania
they've literally redefined what it means to be a metroidvania

HK is fucking great user, but it didn't do shit worthy of redefining anything.

Is this a reskinned Rick and Morty meme?

My favourites were the Mantis Lords, especially when you fight all 3 of them at the same time.
They are alive so they could make a comeback

Yeah, this. Hollow Knight doesn't do anything new or groundbreaking. It's just good.

But would they abandon their village?

I hate this boss.

Attached: grimm tumblr_pg8e1kFTV61rgh38do1_1280.jpg (1280x1024, 260K)

I had a lot of fun with it despite not being into Metroidvanias prior.

The whole twist of the sequel is that you were in Hallownest the whole time

Attached: planet.jpg (1920x815, 199K)

I bought it yesterday for $4 in the mexican eshop.