Whatever happened to them?

Whatever happened to them?

Instead of shamelessly looking it up, I'd rather you guys explain it to me.

Also, is it sad I just realized that Banjo, Kazooie and Conker all exist in the same universe? For that matter, Mario exists in the same universe as Banjo.

Attached: 156px-RarewareLogoOld.jpg (156x201, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uvPN_zdszEg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sea of Thieves sold pretty well.

Microsoft bought them, and they unfortunately seemed to have lost a bit of their touch by the time the likes of Starfox Adventure or Grabbed by the Ghoulies came around. Not bad games by any means, but just not up to the standards of quality of 5th Gen Rare.

So post microsoft acquisition they made perfect dark zero. The game was not very good but I liked its multiplayer. Then came viva pinata 1 and 2. I haven't played them but supposedly they did well critically. I don't know if they did well commercially. Then they made a bunch of lukewarm kinect games. Kinect was lost like a fart in the wind. Then Sea of Thieves. Which did well commercially but generally 6-7/10 critically upon launch. But its a game as service so they had a minor comeback in that regard.

Now they are working on another game. They said they only want to make new stuff right now but they are pretty chill about letting other devs work on their IPs

Attached: 258_v9_ba.jpg (1080x1440, 151K)

They started going to crap and Nintendo dumped them onto Microsoft for a nice sum of money. By the time MS got ahold of them literally every employee from their "golden era" had already left and been replaced. So it's a zombie dev house but at least MS got some good IPs... that it's done nothing of value with.

I want a new conker. The multiplayer in L&R was great

They got woke then went broke.

Most of the original team isn't there anymore, and they only jump on few new things every now and then.
What doesn't help is how isolated and introverted the company operates.

how many OGs are there?
Gregg Mayles and Robin Beanland, and who else?

here ya go!
youtube.com/watch?v=uvPN_zdszEg

Someone had a list that showed who was still there from the old days. Can't find it.

>Hololens
So when is this shit going to release?

>Here, with this game your living room becomes the level
>Conker knows he's on your couch and will jump and bounce on it
>Oh, and did we mention we'll be taking a 3D mapping of your ENTIRE room
>Don't worry, we will comprise your personal info
>Although we are the same company that trademarked invasive advertising tactics that interrupt and display during movies and video games
>Forcing you to stand your fat-ass up and yell at the top of your lungs your favorite household brand

Attached: 1272671273958.jpg (480x600, 76K)

There's also
>Leigh Loveday: writer of witty dialogue and manuals, ran the Q&A "Scribes" and now the twitter
>Louise O'Connor/Ridgway (not sure which is maiden name): animator/artist & VA

Maybe more but I can't think of any

Their successes were uncommon

Attached: 188565566.jpg (1920x1080, 216K)

I think that Viva Pinata is one of the bests Rare games, I hope they can do something good next gen.

Double Fine should work on some of their IPs

The last good thing they deliver was viva pinata after that.
they were ruined by kinect antics, sport games and that horrible pirate game.

Just put them out of their misery.

Attached: 1560395424700.png (750x581, 1004K)

Mario and Donkey Kong coexist. (Donkey Kong)
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong coexist. (Donkey Kong Country)
Diddy Kong, Banjo and Conker coexist. (Diddy Kong Racing)

microsoft bougth them and they al filty jews what else you need to know?

Did it really?
I thought it barely broke even

I think they just couldn't adapt to the 6th and 7th gen game design trends and the emerging AAA-driven market. Maybe if they had held onto the Goldeneye/PD guys they would have.

They were bleeding out their talent by the time Gamecube came out, and Nintendo knew it. Also Rare didn't like Nintendo's treatment and scheduling in general, the final blow being them turning Dinosaur Planet into a middling Star Fox game. They offered themselves up for sale and M$ beat out Nintendo and Activision, who gave them a shot at continuing their style of games (sort of) but they sold badly and came out mixed. Hence them getting stuffed into the Kinect freezer for ages and only came back for SoT, for better or worse.

They currently don't have much interest in returning to their old IP's, but after Banjo in Smash there's a good chance Microsoft will be returning in some manner. Whether or not this will be worth it is anybody's guess, since Battletoads' new changes have also been pretty mixed on reception as well.