How did they put so much SOUL into one game?

Attached: hk.jpg (639x361, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AQ71AUNdjL0
youtube.com/watch?v=pqpdrTRZX0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=UW3o-eIko5Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a team of like 3 developers with no suits forcing their hand

The details in that game are in autistic levels

>t. Not Woolie

yeah dude my eyes burn at how detailed the characters designs are

Attached: The_Knight.png (135x184, 13K)

uh dude be careful
use lenses

Well you need it to fucking heal so there need to be opportunities to get it

With Australia, it's all or nothing

focused so much on soul fucked up the map and exploration part of a metroidvania

Exploration is super fun, what are you talking about?

8$ on the switch right now by the way

>$8 on switch
holy shitballs, Team Cherry never ceases to impress me

Meanwhile Cuphead, a game that lasts like 2 hours, has never been for less than 15$

It features one of the most nonlinear world designs in the genre in terms of the number of different ways you can get around and the order in which you need to collect the movement upgrades. Along with, strangely enough, Salt and Sanctuary. But this one has much tighter mechanics too.

>that D-pad

Attached: umm... sweaty..... .jpg (453x465, 27K)

What the fuck is this arbitrary reason of calling some shit SOUL? Hollow Knight's enemy design, level design and characters are basic shit and samey, what the hell is the SOUL thing even about?

Cuphead lasts 2 hours + the amount of time it takes you to beat that one fucking boss you're stuck on
For me it was the dragon

1$ on PC and Xbox right now by the way

no fucking way, proofs

Attached: Marie asks (You) for the source.jpg (1280x276, 112K)

He's talking about Gamepass.

I've tried this game on switch and it feels like there's a shitload of input lag that's not in the PC version. Couldn't get used to it

>take advantage of great deal and buy digital switch for 8 dollars

>spend more and appease my autistic need to have everything physical

fuck what do I do, I've been wanting to get this one but I've been procrastinating

It's a 2D metroidvania, he's supposed to be simply designed, that was the intent. There's no argument here, you lack a basic understanding of platformer design.
Compared to SotN and Super Metroid, the map size is fine. The scattered papers and humming which acted as breadcrumbs towards the map maker was incredibly unique. Can you tell me what about the map/exploration you didn't like?

Attached: 1558641515014.png (1280x589, 1.09M)

It's easy to conjure "soul" when you eschew traditional storytelling like characters that can convey their thoughts and communicate with comprehensible language. A fancy bowl of shit would probably be what you consider soulful as well.

It's MEANT TO BE that way so you can use it with your friends while on the go, which greatly outweighs the potential advantages of a classic d-pad. It's meant to be portable, and it's excellent at that. You can always get the pro controller if that's the experience you want, but there would have been no sense in forcing it on all players.

Attached: nintendo.jpg (578x712, 161K)

What did you get filtered at?

being a 2D metroidvania has nothing to do with the shitty simplistic character design retard.

If you're gonna post in my thread, actually say something. This is a garbage post.

>metroidvania
>have to spend the first 2 hours grinding money to unlock the privilege of having a functional fucking map
pass

Lmao how.

How can a game with so much good content be this cheap. It honestly boggles the mind.

Your thread is fucking garbage with nothing to discuss. Maybe add more words so we can discuss instead of circle jerking this overrated game

>It's MEANT TO BE that way so you can use it with your friends while on the go, which greatly outweighs the potential advantages of a classic d-pad.

This is the most normie, marketing driven/shill comment I've seen bout the switch in a while. Also to downplay a dpad that hard you have to be pretty god damn horrible at videogames.

Attached: 9402251.png (1786x1030, 1.54M)

Let me guess. You had to grind to get the compass?

no, THIS is a garbage post.
Notice the lack of any argument in his post, it's just shit. He even tacks on "retard" at the end of his sentence. That user can't be any older than 18.

Your thread opens with a garbage post. "Soul" is a meme adjective used to vaguely describe something you like because you can't find actual descriptors. You have my contempt.

I accept your concession.

You're so far up your own ass you couldn't even tell that user was being sarcastic and agreeing with you. Look at the picture he attached and tell me he enjoys the switch. Yea Forums is such a shithole it amazes me.

Attached: 1446035988583.png (473x488, 192K)

Cool, you should try getting some taste once you're done jerking off to your shitty OMGSOMUCHSOUL game.

I did not do any grinding, but I hated the fucking nail and some of the environments looked boring or similar to each to other. Only areas I really enjoyed were the dream platform levels and the Colosseum.

Threads have gone from "let's discuss Hollow Knight and all it's pros/cons" to "LOOK AT ALL THIS """SOUL""", DID YOU KNOW THAT HOLLOW KNIGHT IS THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME?!"

It's like a fucking religion at this point. We can't have a different Metroidvania thread while some cucks complain why is it not like Hollow Knight.

I've been playing for something like 20 hours and I still haven't completed the map or fought any of the three heads on in.

>We can't have a different Metroidvania thread while some cucks complain why is it not like Hollow Knight.

Why are you in my thread complaining, then?

Ok honey

Get the limited run version with all the added shit.

It's a popular indie game so I didn't like it

Based on the information provided, I conclude the most advantageous course of action would be to kill yourself.

it was hollow so there was more room.

8$ on GOG too

combat makes it feel like a flash game. not satisfying at all.

It's free on IGG

Just got done greenpath and backtracked a little and found the Brooding Mawrlak or w/e. It’s pushing my shit in. Should I come back later with better items?

Observe the patterns, you should be able to defeat it with relative ease.

This post reads as if it was written by a 14yo in middleschool. This board's quality has really gone to shit hasn't it?

Attached: 8945834.jpg (640x360, 61K)

>small team
>tight creative vision
I wonder

>stating the obvious

I was really expecting more Silksong info to come from E3, but I guess not.

It's possible, but quite tight at this point. You don't need to kill it to progress further into the game.

You could probably do it if you take your time and learn the patterns, but there's no need to do it right now, you can easily just do it later. If I remember correctly you just get a mask piece.

Agree.
It's getting kind of obnoxious now.
You can't even make productive criticism of the game without getting jumped on.

Bought the game yesterday on the eshop and so far its okay.
Im lost, i beat the hornet, went through fog canyon, the fungus place, and i dont know where the hell im going. What the fuck am i doing?
Also the samey environment is driving me insane.

>didnt play the game

I hate playing with controllers, is kb + m fine here?

Explore fungi place more

A thread discussing some shitty recording of silksong gameplay in E3 was active just a few hours ago

The hand animation is beautiful

yes. That setup works well, since you only need 3 keys in addition to movement keys

I'm not sure I understand your point.

Attached: 1404300651336.png (301x301, 95K)

t. soulless

>two hours to get the map
I know it’s bait, but I’ve seen people genuinely that bad

Probably the first Hornet fight judging by how assblasted he sounds

youtube.com/watch?v=AQ71AUNdjL0
Post all the SOUL moments anons, fuck spoilers you fags should have played by now, or maybe don't enter threads of games you haven't beaten
>the Hollow Knight trying to kill himself knowing he's infected
>the path of pain concealing the king's most painful memory, raising a vessel as his own son
>the entire abyss sequence
>Nosk
>falling into deepnest
>finding Marissa
>the infection taking over the crossroads
>finding out what the infection is and realizing almost every enemy you fight is actually a zombie husk
>Hornet 2 fight
>the nailsmith asking you to kill him
>the grub room slowly filling up and teeming with life as you save more and more of them
>Zote appearing as a boss fight
>Traitor Lord fight
>entering the City of Tears for the first time and chilling on the bench with
>going into Dung Defenders memory when he was a champion
>nightmare king grimm

Attached: 1553435836494.png (605x326, 140K)

if you decide to leave it for later, or see some places you need an upgrade like double jump to get to, plant map markers on yourself in these kinds of rooms to remember where they are later

Nightmare King Grimm is such a fucking badass boss fight, I have a soft spot for the Mantis Lords but he's easily my second favorite

Attached: 1555438376014.jpg (1139x1335, 211K)

Where is the SOUL? To me it feels like the most SOULLESS metroidvania out there because of how sterile all of the stylistic choices are.

Given he doesn’t grasp the joke, I doubt he got past the failed knight

Sitting at the blue lake with Quirrel is rivalled only by pic related

Attached: 1B5039ED-4C46-4584-91C2-EAF17EE2CD76.jpg (637x358, 37K)

Learning this fight and the cutscenes after pantheons of Knight and Hallownest
Also how the Omnipotent King overthrew a literal God by forcing it's worshippers to forget it
Also everything he had to do afterwards

Attached: kinoknight.jpg (1920x1080, 159K)

the game would be pretty hard if there was no soul.

N-N-N-NO YOU JUST DON'T GET IT

Is it better to play these games with a controller or mouse and keyboard?

Attached: ghost.jpg (1600x800, 237K)

Attached: respects.jpg (1920x1080, 214K)

this is a sad one

Attached: 20190114125013_1.jpg (1920x1080, 182K)

The asked reddit for advice on how to better make their game appealing to people, and reddit complained endlessly about the map system.
The developers are really proud of that map system because it encourages getting lost and navigating your way on your own, letting the player feel like they're uncovering a forgotten kingdom rather than following waypoints.
So they ignored reddit completely and just asked their IRL mates instead.

never thought i'd unironically write the words "should've fucking listened to reddit" but here we are. of all the wheels to try reinventing, the fucking map is the worst to pick.

>Soul Master in the background just before the fight
>The way tons of items are actually bugs, like False Knight's mace or lumaflies or "magnet" charm being actually small flies
>That knight actually keeps items inside it's cloak and brings them outside for use, like lantern or quickmap
>Smacking Grimm just to see if he reacts

Brooding mawlek -> Go visit the bottom right of Forgotten Crossroads and see if you can find the Charm shop.
For 800 Geo, you can buy Fast Heal.
If you equip Fast Heal, Mawlek got nothing on you.
Remember not to get hit in the face by easily avoidable attacks like a complete scrub.
Mawlek's side attacks are avoidable, and the random damage from Mawlek's jump and orange balls won't outdamage your healing.

The map isn't meant to act as a replacement for your own poor navigation skills.
You're meant to navigate unexplored parts of the game entirely using your own mind. That is the intent. The map is for when you've already cleared an area.

Attached: disgusting.jpg (600x450, 78K)

On a related note, do you think that map of Thief 4 was better than in previous series?

>The moment the sun grows wings and comes bearing down on you, this tiny fuck of a bug

>Devs with enough common sense to spot when their fans are being retarded and spine enough to not cave for them
It’s depressingly rare to see both

the soul master fakeout. i actually died to that shit the first time it happened.

if you're not complete dogshit at video games you will get enough money for the maps passively just by exploring and killing enemies on your way. the only thing that you arguably need to grind for in the early game is the lantern.

Pantheon of the Knight is currently filtering me hard.
Pure vessel is wrecking me and I feel bad.

>flash symphony of the night

what

>The details in that game are in autistic levels
followed by
>It's a 2D metroidvania, he's supposed to be simply designed, that was the intent.

I'm not even going to read this garbage thread.

Australians. They’re either complete shit or divine prophets. In this case, Team Cherry’s the latter.

Quick slash and Longnail or Mantis Pride is what made it click for me, I think i used longnail to be slot efficient
The extra frames for parrying you get from a longer nail and not having to be perfect on timing with quick slashes made it a very cool swordfight
a couple dozen tries and you'll get his tells down and your reactions will be in muscle memory

Soul totems mostly

Switch or PS4? No PC

>gigantic block shaped room with 8 different exits is the first room on the left when you enter the dungeon
>every room looks exactly the same
>"j-j-just remember it on your own"
no lmao this isn't even something you should feel a need to defend. every other game in the genre gives you a functional map right off the bat.

i don't play shitty AAA games so i wouldn't know bud.

NKG is a close second to me. Pure Vessel is just about as hard, but it feels more dynamic and less long because of the new moves he gets as the fight goes on.

Attached: Siblings4.jpg (999x708, 133K)

>the first room in the game has 8 exits, 6 of which are dead ends and one I cannot access yet
>there 8th exit has a map seller
>this game doesn't give me map before going to first room ergo game bad
holy shit you got filtered before the first boss??

By making SOUL into a game mechanic.

Switch will launch simultaneously with PC. If you want to get it on Playstation, you're going to be waiting for a while.

no, i played through the whole first area. but that put a really shit taste in my mouth at the very start of the game. there's absolutely no excuse for this design choice, but hk fans would literally rather die than admit their godsend has a flaw.

I honestly like the Joycon D-pad. Miss it now when I use the pro controller.

I was actually the same at first
I played until the first boss then dropped it
returned to it two years later and now it's one of my favorites.
The game has a big flaw in the beginning with your movement being so clunky but after the first two movement upgrades the game opens up and becomes so much more fluid, and you get those upgrades after playing like 2-3 hours
Sorry for your depression or ADHD that's keeping you from playing more than the first 40 minutes of a game, user.

LMAO

>Sorry for your depression or ADHD that's keeping you from playing more than the first 40 minutes of a game, user.
Wow, you almost had a decent post criticizing something you enjoy but you had to go and ruin it.

I'm not even that user, but fuck you and this garbage game. Acting like there's some bigger picture to get, your game is simple and people don't find it fun.

>getting lost on a 2d plane
I guess it goes to show how good the game actually is, seeing that the only thing you have to criticize it is a navigation sistem that doesn't hold your hand. Worse than that, that doesn't hold your hand only on the first time around

so is your "2d plane" that gets people lost on it "so simple you can't believe people get lost" or "so complex that it's epic ftw gotyay?" you're gonna need to make up your mind before you try slinging insults.

>"so complex that it's epic ftw gotyay?"
I never said that, but nice try

Attached: 1492759922995.jpg (221x276, 25K)

>videogames should play themselves
sure is a hot take, are you sure that's the argument you want to make?

not the argument i'm making but again, please continue averting your eyes from the issue i'm bringing up. next time they put out a mario game it'd be cool if he had to go buy some special shoes before he was allowed to jump, too. games shouldn't just GIVE you access to the things you expect from them, after all.
maybe we should restrict access to the pause menu behind a paywall, next?

hello hollow knight discord and reddit.
if you want you marketing thread to be more effective, try using a more believable word than “soul”.

maybe it's becoming very clear your expectations are shit. It's a game about EXPLORING an old ruined kingdom and the places around it and your expectations don't include exploration?

What other metriodvanias do you even play?

i've been playing the genre since before you were born, man. fuck i need out of here.

>The Stag Nest
>killing the Menderbug and finding his journal at his home
>all those seemingly useless secret locations that only exist for exploration's sake: the Pale King's workshop, the White Lady's nursery, the secret room in Weaver's Den, the grub symbol in Tower of Love, that giant Mushroom, etc
>Hornet cracking Hollow Knight's head open
>Hollow Knight helping you bangbang The Radiance
>Getting rused a second time by Flying Nosk
>Finding out Sly is the Nailsage
>Giving the flower to Elderbug
>Bretta blushing when you sit next to her only to be cucked later on

Attached: 1538002102047.jpg (500x528, 59K)

you're going to be a huge baby either way so I'm not sure why it matters to you
just watch someone play the game instead if holding a tiny bit of it in memory is too hard for you

metroidvania are the laziest indie games possible

>tfw haven't touched godmaster still
how tough is it?

Attached: 1560174231996.png (800x900, 318K)

Normally? The final challenge is the hardest content in the game.
With bindings? Well, fuck you

Attached: Curve.png (639x604, 25K)

I thought I was breddy gud at killing bosses but it took me ~18 hours of gitting guder to unlock the last pantheon which I haven't cleared yet.
It's a continous shitkicking but very very rewarding

Here you go buddy it’s only $100

Attached: 02D13748-DD18-47DE-B4AF-60431D9FB2F6.jpg (900x417, 41K)

Anything with procedural generation is lazier.

Man, Pantheon 5 really made me appreciate this.

youtube.com/watch?v=pqpdrTRZX0Y

Anyway, how worth it is it to bother with bindings in Pantheon 5, especially an All Bindings run? I like this game a lot and wish I could squeeze every last drop, but I feel like All Bindings in P5 would just consist more of engaging with bullshit than something challenging.

Attached: 1547194987177.jpg (820x975, 105K)

Is this real?

VNs with no VAs
RPGmaker games
Unity platformers with purchased assets

get a pro controller you shitstain

Yes. Hori is releasing it as a collaboration with Daemon X Machina. The real price is about $45. I imagine it’ll be good.

I’m scared that the sequel will make the first game irrelevant because of better mechanics. I want them to both be different but not better or worse than one another.

>get to Herrah and complain that there's no boss
>someone says there is and I probably missed it
>find the spirit warrior and assume that's what he meant
>mfw Nosk

Attached: 1514430485006.jpg (702x557, 40K)

Yes, your brain is good enough at navigation to do this.
The map is a reminder for where you've already been, not a substitute for your own navigation skills.
You can actually git gud at exploration if you just try. Don't rely on crutches.

Attached: 1559838188685.png (799x520, 272K)

I was referring to the Pro Controller D-pad. It's shit.

God forbid a game demands some sort of skill from you beyond a mechanical one. In this case, some sense of orientation of how far you've traveled from a bench or a place of easy reference to your current location.

Seriously though, benches in this game are common enough. Stop opening your map on every opportunity and try to keep a general sense of how you have trekked your path during a run. It makes going around feel like actual exploration instead of being fed everything from the get-go. Also, most areas will give you enough information once you find the map maker even if you're not running the Compass charm. You should be able to make out on which room you are with a little bit of thinking. About the only place where you'll feel the map mechanics in this game are frustrating is in Deepnest, but that's sort of the intention of the area anyway.

Attached: 1547690868517.jpg (350x500, 15K)

That's the good shit.

Cost too many

That's either some time time traveling bullshit or you've played something other that first Metroid in the same genre. If there was something like Metroid that was released half a year before that, i'll believe you.

So, from the start you have two linear corridors one above each other. They are linear and don't confuse you with some snake patterns to lose your sense of direction. Lower parts are blocked. You cannot get lost there if you can tell left from right
You can find following dead ends:
Black Egg Temple that's unique because it's a fucking huge temple with weird thing in it
Mines, that are few rooms deep, linear, have different color and crystals, so they are unique
One room dead end with an enemy that's big, takes few hits to kill and can smack you for two hits and you don't encounter it anywhere else at this point, so it's unique
Grub room that has a Grub Father in it, so it's unique
Greenpath entrance room that has another unique enemy and different color
Path to optional boss that looks like corridors before, not unique, but one room deep at this moment

So you get a small loop of two corridors interconnected with two different hub rooms, almost every dead end has something unique in it, so it's easy to memorize and after that the only available room is one with Cornifer, who hums to get your attention and sells you a map. Did you have problems navigating two corridors or memorizing one room that had nothing special in it? It's not some linear hallways from start to Death encounter in Sotn, but it shouldn't be hard

>that article about a video game """journalist""" feeling a need to justify herself because she got filtered by Hornet and needed to cheat
I sincerely hope TC never panders to these subhuman casualfags.
I for one, want a harder version of White palace, Deepnest and Godhome in Silksong, I dont even care if they're added in as DLC. Just make a good challenge, a hard challenge and a HARD challenge

that bit where shade lord fucking destroys the radiance

I just hope TC are better at not creating bullshit in SS than they were on HK. Most fights in HK are fair but some in Godhome are down to luck rather than any actual learning of the fights. The worst cases I remember being the likes of All Bindings Collector or All Bindings/Radiant Zote.

>get complaints about difficulty
>DLC makes it harder
They’re doing fine for the moment

>The void siblings ascending with you on the background when preparing to finish off Radiance
Goddamn that moment made me cum buckets and realize how much I loved the game. I was still generally bad at the game when I fought Radiance so it took me quite a couple of tries to get there. It felt satisfying as hell to finally beat her second phase and go up the steps with the void rising together with you, while this played on the background and you prepared to finally finish off that piece of shit moth. All punctuated with the game throwing an (X) Attack in there and letting you whip her ass while the Hollow Knight holds her in place.

youtube.com/watch?v=UW3o-eIko5Q

Attached: 1533463259630.jpg (735x950, 132K)

>map system bad
i still don't get this meme

>entering fog canyon for the first time(especially from greenpath)
>falling down that pit in deepnest only to land in a hot spring instead of a bed of spikes
>Cloth vs Traitor lord
>'you shall seal the blinding light that plagues their dreams'
>Path of Pain
>End of pantheon of the knight, hinting at your growing power and another solution to the Radiance
>Beating Radiance
>Beating NKG after 4 hours of practice
>Beating Pure Vessel after 5 hours of practice
>Beating Absolute radiance in PoH after a fucking month of practice
>Completing grey mourner's quest
>chilling in queens gardens with either drifting Alubas or a giant king's idol in the background

Indie > AAA
you can't convince me otherwise. Good indie is the replacement for what used to be AA games which were unironically always better than AAA anyway.

It looks like a flash game.

>VNs with no VAs
>implying writing an entire visual novel doesn't require a lot of effort

everyone always talks about the fall into Deepnest, but I first discovered it after beating the Mantis Lords, and found Cornifer immediately. It was still spooky, but I feel I missed out on the heart of the experience.

Deepnest is still a labyrinthine hell even if you find Cornifer. He'll help out somewhat but I don't think it makes it that much better with not feeling lost many times when going through the area.

>the godtuner ringing louder and louder until it sings its own melody as you climb and face AR at the peak of Hallownest's godhood, both of you on your last legs
Ablsoute fucking kino and nothing else in the game can compare to it

Cornifer's map is literally fucking nothing when you get it
Also, those idiots who fell into deepnest missed out on the true experience
>the fucking grueling long climb
>constantly attacked by dirtcarvers and garpedes in the fucking way
>finally get out of that hellhole with one mask left
>walk away
>Ground gives away and drops you back into the bottom of the pit
FUCK deepnest. Its also my favorite area. No other location in the game is that much of an active dick to you, not even White Palace

>The earliest point in time we see the knight, he is trying to climb his way out of the dark of the abyss, only to fall back in for not being chosen
>In his last moments, he is climbing his way to the light of the Radiance, to fulfill the role he was born to
Silksong has some pretty big shoes to fill

Attached: Radience2.jpg (1182x1864, 256K)