Swordfighters in smash

So, with the inclusion of Hero in Smash Bros, I thought now is the perfect opportunity to remind everyone where the “too many swordfighters” complaint came from. First off, regardless of how you feel about fire emblem the inclusion of Corrin and Lucina were both very blatantly used to shill FEA and Fates, hell the game was not even out in the west when the announcement of corrin happened and yet Hero is getting accused of shilling even though his series has a rich history in Japan while also having four different protagonists from past games as alts, so no it isn’t direct shilling to DQ11S. Secondly, Chrom has literally no fucking reason to be in when Robin and Lucina fill in the roll of the Awakening rep. So if you want to bitch about too many swordfighters then point at fucking the shit stain on smash that is Fire Emblem not Hero or Cloud. Oh but so long as the swordfighter is your choice i.e Dante and sora right it’s ok right? Faggot.

Attached: 1D80F3BC-3003-4DAC-A0B1-87488E068855.jpg (320x180, 16K)

Leave Fire Emblem to us bros

Attached: Vamos Gohan.jpg (1024x455, 97K)

It's been shitposting the whole time, and you fell for it, faggot!

Swordfighters aren't inherently a problem, the problem is what they do with them. Barely any of them have any unique gimmics to back their moves up, the only ones that I can think of are Shulk and Link, which is kind of mitigated by the fact there's 3 of him. As an example, Dante would probably have style switching, so he could use alternate melee and ranged attacks, dashes and guards to make him way more unique than shit like Corrin or Chrom.

oof

Attached: Screenshot_20190612-143219_Twitter.jpg (1080x1920, 444K)

God damn I both love and hate Toriyama

I understand people being disappointed about Hero having what seems to be Links dash attack, roys fsmash, and marths Bair, but considering we have a TRUE mp system unlike that stupid Joker SP meter (which actually makes no fucking sense) and not only that but Hero seems to have 9 different spells to use which gives so much variety, which personally make up for some reused animations

Attached: 2C4A267F-3016-445A-BD89-3C6CEBFB1B0F.jpg (1069x749, 154K)

If Chrom was an Ike alt, Lucina a Marth alt, and Corrin or Robin were removed, there would be no issue. Roy's on thin fucking ice but cutting down to 2 marths would be fine

Ideal FE lineup is Marth, Roy, Ike, and Robin

enough representation and somewhat variety

keep crying fag

5 of them need to be deleted.

the problem was never "too many swordfighters" the problem is too many FE characters that don't use the series' potential for interesting moveset and mechanics whatsoever.

Marth, Ike and Robin would be sufficient from the current pack.

nix Roy or Ike for Hector and then you'll have it

Attached: Hector Moveset.png (2000x3000, 2.03M)

>BUT HALF OF THEM ARE CLONES THAT TOOK NO DEVELOPMENT TIME! THEY AREN'T STEALING ANYONE'S SPOT!
>Okay so why don't other series also get more clone representation? Why does only Fire Emblem get that privilege?
>NNNNNNNNNGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fuck Faggot Emblem and fuck Sakurai's obvious bias

Attached: 1497283168211.jpg (300x300, 15K)

>muh swordfighters
That's why I hate smashtards.

>>Okay so why don't other series also get more clone representation? Why does only Fire Emblem get that privilege?
Fire emblem has more main characters

Yeah I could see Hector being a way better heavy pick than Ike with the axe

This is why I wouldn't want Ryu Hayabusa because yes among his other weapons he would probably primarily use a sword and would rather have a different Tecmo Koei rep like Lu Bu or Yukimura who both can use spears

Ryu is a ninja. how would he be similar to FE chats at all?

Swordsmen all inevitably end up high or top tier because they have long reach, fast animations and no unsafe options. Add onto this the power creep that comes with trying to advertise the latest swordsman, and suddenly you have characters who can stay in your face, out of your reach and kill you at 80% without effort. Their design is inherently very flawed. Anyone who says tiers don't matter is a retard, even at lower levels of play blatantly-overtuned characters trounce the rest.

Attached: 1553001611818.gif (284x301, 1.49M)

Corrin literally has a unique gimmick to back her moves up.

talking about swordfighters in general and that I'd much rather see a different weapon

Get fucked stupid plantfaggot

Attached: 1560276737274.png (452x345, 302K)

Based

>Robin has magic and item durability
>Corrin mostly attacks via shape-shifting, sword is religated to tilts, jab, and some air attacks
>Cloud has limit. Not much but I'd be damned if he doesn't feel unique as a fighter anyway.
>Hero has a mana pool, can switch between multiple spells, and can kill himself in the flashiest way possible

Don't see why people are bitching.

Those choices are so blatantly two faced. By your metric, Corrin > Ike.
>Keeping Roy over Corrin.
>Removing the two unique ones.

You "people" don't actually believe anything you're saying because your solutions are not coherent to your problems.

Gay Corrin-loving faggots need to die.

>Roy
lol

Royfags are delusional.

user, I would never betray my waifu for someone who isn't even best girl in their own game.

Cut Roy, fuck that loser. Keep Chrom

>swordsman with a counter BUT HE BRIEFLY TURNS INTO A DEER DRAGON DURING HIS COUNTER
amazing

based and chrompilled

Reminder that yes, Corrin is unique, but undeniably unneeded, unwanted, and unfamiliar to the masses. Nobody in the West actively wanted Corrin unless they were a greedy ISIS-hailing weeaboo of the highest degree. If you were one of those people, your opinion on anything is equal to 2/5 of a regular opinion.

Attached: t6hctpdzg4r01.png (2200x1400, 1.34M)

The real solution would be to have Roy, Lucina and Chrom be alt costumes of Marth just like how it's done for dragon quest and then keep all the gameplay differences. This is mostly a matter of perception, like how Ness doesn't use PK fire much more than any other projectilefag spams but it's a lot more noticeable because of the loud shrill voice line.

Munchie in DQ8s pocket makes me smile

>DLC 5 will end up being another FE swordie

Attached: 1492493073366.png (945x768, 87K)

>unneeded, unwanted, and unfamiliar to the masses
What, and fucking Roy isn't? His game isn't even out in english, at least Fates is.

Nintendo using Smash as advertisement for all the crapware it tries to paddle is the biggest issue with the game.
The reason they're including literal who's like Bayonetta instead of their own characters like Waluigi is because they're trying to get people interested in those games.
This is why Travis Touchdown will also be in but Bandana Waddle Dee or Toad won't be.

Also characters like Joker and The Hero are added because the Japanese fanbases of their series are huge. Nintendo expect to make a bunch of money by tying those series to their own.

Attached: 1EFE1BE797A64EF3AA418BF8504E2441.png (502x492, 342K)

>Post literally listed Shulk as unique when he has a counter and link when there are two other links with boomerangs and arrows.

this

Just one slot for all lords wanting the Marth moveset would be ideal

>other person picks the skin for the character you play
>you're now at a disadvantage for no reason
>just to remove some space on the character select screen
absolutely retarded

>Shulk
>has an install system that makes him run faster, jump higher, hit harder, ect

>compared to Corrin who is completely standard outside of changing a bodypart for 0.1 second
Also this, Marth, Roy, Chrom and Lucina should all just be one slot. They all have the exact same personality anyways and you could add other FE characters like the Three Houses Hero and other FE protags as well.

The dragon shapeshifting gimmick literally affects nothing but visuals.
>b-b-but their arms transform and they stab people with it
Everyone else can do the same thing with a regular sword. Transforming your arm to do the same thing you can already do with your weapon is convoluted, dumb, and difficult to convey clearly in normal gameplay.

Never said anything about Roy, but he most certainly does. He falls under the same umbrella, but is somewhat less egregious due to his ease of inclusion (even with his differences he's mostly an alteration of Marth). Corrin was a straight up advertisement that took up resources. It also helps that Roy comes from a good game.

Nonetheless, neither deserve to be in Smash, and I say that as a Roy main.

Attached: 1431711624329.png (480x320, 11K)

>Waluigi
>Waddle Dee
>Toad
Truly people just don't understand the enormity of what we're missing by having iconic 3rd party characters instead.

Esto es el fin, emblema de fuego.

I enjoy playing as Corrin but I still agree with this.
We should have gotten Azura to rep spears and the dancer class

Roy was voted the number 2 most popular male character in FE.
Meleefags worship him.

>Roy is less egregious
>Roy isn't a straight up advertisment
Excuse me? He was in smash before his game even came out. The double standards you have for Roy is absurd, he is the textbook definition of an advertisement character.

Okay, sure, he's egregious. I want him out. Fire Emblem has been a plague onto the gaming industry and Smash Bros as a whole. The franchise and Kaga himself was a mistake.
Happy?

Attached: 1557533797524.png (488x320, 24K)

And Corrin has pin and everything that comes with it.
It feels like you just have incredibly vague idea of what Corrin's kit is, like you watched it for like 5 seconds and just assumed everything from there. Your post literally just isn't coherent with reality, all of the moves that use the transformation have their gameplay altered by being made from the concept of the transformation.

Dragon shapeshifting:
>Gives Corrin much farther range than other swordies
>Extends his hurtbox, unlike other swordies
>Gives his Bair unique momentum shifting properties
And etc etc.
Want to know how I know that you don't actually play Smash?

His art is min maxed. He can only draw a few faces and few bodies, but he does them so well it doesn't even matter.

No, because after this thread you're just gonna defend Roy in the next one, faggot.

No matter my opinions or biases, I still want both of them cut. That's all. The end justifies the memes.

Cutfags are mentally ill.

>And Corrin has pin
Pin is literally his only unique move. Everything else is just a copy off someone else. Well, I guess I should give him credit for his side smash, but Simon took that and blew him out of the park.
>all of the moves that use the transformation have their gameplay altered by being made from the concept of the transformation.
This is blatantly untrue. Very few, if any, of his moves were improved or altered in any meaningful way because of his transformation gimmick. Neutral air? Just swing two different swords. Down smash? Just stab with two different swords instead of kicking you dumbass. Down air? Just spin while holding your sword downward. Up smash? Just stab two different swords upward.
>Gives Corrin much farther range than other swordies
Shulk.
>Extends his hurtbox, unlike other swordies
You're reaching.
>Gives his Bair unique momentum shifting properties
Corrin never even flies in his own game, and the momentum shifting was done two games ago with ROB's bair and Ivysaur's uair and dair.
I should seriously stop replying to Corrinfags. Homosexuality rots the brain.

I retract my former statement about cuts. What I meant was that Roy and Corrin should stay, they have been fully developed and resources went into them, after all, but I personally do not consider them justified inclusions. Please understand, sorry for my comments, have a good day.

Fuck all you homos, I want another sword character. Crono should definitely be the game by any metric.

I just noticed the Slime earring has the face too

Exactly.

It's funny how people shout "MUH UNIQUENESS MUH DRAGON FORM" yet somehow forget that half the moves are sword.(the uair animation is literally the same as Marths for example) And have no issue with having by far the most overused down b in the entire game(muh uniqueness) a recovery that just recovers and nothing else, the charging smash gimmick, corrins only unique feature in 4, blatantly ripping off Ness etc.

If Corrin was a 1 to 1 Marth clone they wouldn't have lost any fans.(Notice how there's only 1 dragon corrin fan art for every 100,000) They'd just come up with a new excuse like they do everytime Sakurai shoves FE shit in our face.

There arent even that many sword fighters that play similar in smash at all.
The complaint would make sense if we only had 30 characters but Ultimate has what? 70 or some shit

For me, the problem with the sword users aren't that they're sword users, it's that they all roughly look alike aside from Cloud. They're medieval/fantasy anime-looking swordsmen. If there was a barbarian or viking-type swordsman, or a robot or person wearing an Iron Man-type battle suit with a 'lightsaber,' or a girl who's noticeably female (as opposed to looking like a genderbent version of one of the previously existing swordsmen), or even just a classic knight in a suit of armor, I'd be much more likely to be happy about them. And yeah, I get the similar looks are because 80% of the swordsmen are from the same franchise, but that doesn't stop the fact that they still all look the same.

>mfw Toriyama can only draw one body type and face

Attached: American Himiko Toga.gif (592x419, 285K)

>Pin is his only unique move.
Ahh yes, back slash, down b counter and up b, truly Shulk has much more unique moves than corrin.
I'd like you to try to find a move in the entire roster that has the same input as Corrin's neutral B. I'm almost certain you don't know what I mean by this.
>Dude just dual wield a sword and a variable range lance lmao.
Based and thank you.
It's like you forget every other part of the kit every single time you focus on one aspect. Like you picked a conclusion and are retroactively trying to justify it.

>main is a totally unique character but bottom-tier

Attached: 1530303815235.jpg (600x377, 88K)

>Ahh yes, back slash, down b counter and up b, truly Shulk has much more unique moves than corrin.
Shulk doesn't need unique sword swipes because his Monado Arts more than makes up for it, you actual retarded idiot. Way to oust yourself as a fucking dumbass.

You ever think if they could get a wyvern rider or a horseback mount in smash?

Which is why they should do the hero method and make them all skins

Let me guess, K rool

>retard compares shulk to corrin
>shulk has an entire mechanic that isn't used anywhere else
>while corrin... has a cool counter i guess??

I got Smash last week and have been trying to unlock all the characters. It gets old when every other one is some weeb sword faggot. They're not interesting to look at or play against.

It's always funny to see people who dont actually play smash complain about this shit

kill yourself faggot

Yeah?

FUCKTONS OF VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS USE SWORDS
IF YOU'RE GONNA COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING COMPLAIN THAT FIRE EMBLEM REUSED THE SAME MOVESET LIKE FOUR TIMES EVEN THOUGH IT BARELY FITS TWO OF THE MARTH CLONES

Yeah :)

>They're not interesting to look at or play against.
Tell me who is interesting to look at?

Corrin doesn't need unique sword swipes (even though she has a ton of them) because pin more than makes up for it, you actual retarded idiot. Way to oust yourself as a fucking dumbass.
Probably, Wario has a motorcycle and a wyvern/pegasus doesn't have to be much different from peach's float. They'd have to mostly fight on foot though.
You have the memory of a goldfish lmao.
Ah, so now we see the truth of your message, stripped of all pretensions of intelligence and reality.

>It's like you forget every other part of the kit every single time you focus on one aspect.

I actually went in detail about multiple examples about why Corrin isn't that unique.(at least more than "not a clone")

> Like you picked a conclusion and are retroactively trying to justify it.

Anyone who isn't a complete fire emblem cock sucker or has the intelligence above a newborn knows that Corrin was a shit inclusion. Corrins "uniqueness" and "muh advertisement" are the only arguments apologists have and only care about those when trying to justify them being in Smash. That's why outside of Smash threads Corrin posting is just "muh feet muh waifu" anyone going in would never know that they have a dragon form.

imagine being as much of a cocksucking faggot as this guy

airial uses her wings
All her smashes used her weird transformation drills
Why do people like you just like to be mad?

this, corrin is quite literally the worst newcomer smash have ever gotten

>charging smash gimmick, corrin's only unique feature in 4.
Like that's just openly lying through your teeth.
Also, kits need some bread and butter, pac-man is full of completely regular kicks and punches and nobody would argue that he isn't unique.
Go to sleep imagining that and I'm sure you'll experience it in your dreams.

>pac-man is full of completely regular kicks and punches and nobody would argue that he isn't unique.
>up b
>neutral b
>side b
>down b
All unique. McFucking kill yourself.

>airial uses her wings

Only back air, and it functions similarly to Robs.

>All her smashes used her weird transformation drills

Upsmash and Downsmash are generic smash attacks functionally, Fsmash's only unique gimmick was stolen from Ness.

>Why do people like you just like to be mad?

I actually have standards and don't just accept that "muh dragon form just completely ignore 80% of Corrins moveset"

>Like that's just openly lying through your teeth.

Nope. Ness was the first one to have hitbox smash attack charging, Corrin blatantly stole it from him, and took the credit from him.

>Also, kits need some bread and butter, pac-man is full of completely regular kicks and punches and nobody would argue that he isn't unique.

Because he has 4 unique special moves instead of just one.

That's rather untrue, Ike was pretty ass until ultimate as well as Roy. Link fluctuates between being trash and decent. Also Robin is pretty mediocre.

>>up b
>>neutral b
>>side b
>>down b
The same could literally be said for hero but people still complain he has a sword

If FE gets cuts, it shouldbe based on popularity, which if I remember the polls correctly is as follows:
>Ike
>Lucina
>Roy
>Marth
>Chrom
>Robin
>Corrin

Where should the cut-off point be?

Swordfighters are one of the three main archetypes in smash

Brawler
Swordfighter
Gunner

Stay mad faggot I love Dragon Quest

I'm actually okay with Hero but he looked pretty fucking boring until they showed that he could use different spells.

>generic smash attacks functionally,
So is everyone else what's your point? I mean every attack is just some hit boxes

Robin is the cutoff point.

Banjo is in so I don’t care about your qualms with the roster.
It is below me, now and forever.

Attached: 60E9150E-97A5-44AB-99D3-310B868D86F0.png (220x300, 69K)

>he looked pretty fucking boring until they showed that he could use different spells.
I want you to reread what you just wrote

Not everyone. But when your defense for a character is "muh uniqueness" you should you know, have unique moves?

Pac-man regular punches and kicks: 7
Corrin regular sword swipes: 6

Name one down smash that has a tipper on one side but not the other. Name one tippered up smash where the user crouches.
Again, name one neutral B that's two separate charging attacks with different ranges.
You are constantly ignoring most of Corrin's moveset.

Below Corrin.

But it works just like robins. Except you can spam spells while robin has a limit for each

It's hard to have unique moves when you live in an alternate reality where only one exists at a time.

New characters usually have some interesting looking normals or a gimmick, outside of the specials. The shield blocking projectiles and dash attack look almost 1 to 1 to Links for example.

>Not everyone.
Give one example

>sora
I want sora but hed be shit because
His up b would be a shitty keystroke
His be would be a copy of arcfire
His down b would be a parry counter
And his foward b would b a fucking dodge roll or some shit

Fuck Dairy Queen and Fuck you

Attached: 1560040575177.jpg (945x492, 36K)

Look at most other Smash 4 newcomers. They all have unique smashes.
>megaman's projectile, villager's bury, mac's armor, rosa's puppet, ryu's everything, bayo's stand, robin's levin sword
And every other character that doesn't have unique normals has a functioning gimmick that isn't just dminorly altered hitboxes."

>Name one down smash that has a tipper on one side but not the other

Huh, a tipper. Yet another thing they took from Marth lmao

>BUT THEY ONLY DO IT HALF AS MUCH

>Name one tippered up smash where the user crouches.

This is just sad.

>Again, name one neutral B that's two separate charging attacks with different ranges.

Corrins neutral B is literally ZSS's but better. They even gave you a powerful move to end it with instead of actually having to input it yourself because after Robin came out and turned out to be the least used FE character by far they knew FE fans didn't like actually having to put any effort.

Pacman, Megaman, Bayonetta, Olimar, Ryu off the top of my head.

When you actually bre

You couldn't name a single one.

>ROSTERFAGS HATE HER

Attached: 1451849889062 2.png (508x610, 21K)

>villager's bury,
Just game and watches down smash
>robin's levin sword
Still just a sword swing
>megaman's projectile
Not functionally different from other charge shots besides he cant move
>ryu's everything,
>strong punch strong kick
Woooooow
>mac's armor,
Quite literally just punches

>Corrin regular sword swipes: 6
>jab
>side tilt
>down tilt
>up tilt
>up air
>fair
>nair
This nigger can't even count.

In that case, every character that DOESN'T have some special mechanic is the exact same too.

Megaman is just Olimar, tell what the fuck is different about pacman smashes?

user, if Icounted every time pac man does a regular attack but he goes into ball mode I'd just be counting every single a button move.

To be fair her nair also uses her dragon thing

this retard doesn't even play the goddamn game
>g&w's down smash
never had a bury until ultimate
>doesn't know what levin sword does
corrinfags, everyone. never once

>KH1 Sora
>MP Ring that with the tech system included
>Down B Aero (increases defense for a little bit
>Side B Keyblade raid
>Up B Aerial sweep
>neutral B Blizzaga ( widespread)
>Final smash trinity limit (ReCom)

Nobody cares about smash 4 and oh sorry Robin sends out little sparks too

I’ve never played Fire Emblem except a little bit of Lyn’s game, and I can barely tell half the anime sordmanz apart. DQ man is even more disappointing than yet another FEshitter since he’s the most generic as generic can get. Blank slate, perfectly mute, self insert player stand in. He doesn’t even have a fucking name. Even if you played all the DQ games he’s just... nothing. Fucking boring

Attached: 29023AF4-8A8C-4193-AC1C-26499043A512.png (760x757, 459K)

>I don't play these games so I don't know these characters
Ok.

You should list the amount of characters that fit the "Brawler" archetype

None of the other series represented in smash have that problem. I can tell Simon and Richter apart and I’ve never played those games either

Even the Links are more distinct than FE swords and rise are literally the same dude

>and I can barely tell half the anime sordmanz apart.
Maybe you're retarded go see a doctor

The chad energy this picture radiates is too fucking much.

I'm being willfully ignorant about something on purpose so I can complain about it online
Ok.

Can they defeat El Hermano?

If you literally cant tell Martha and Ike apart you might be autistic

Marth*

Why not just remove every FE character except for Lucina, Roy, Ike, and Corrin?

Attached: luci3.jpg (649x900, 80K)

The fuck is wrong with Robin and Corrin? Corrin alternates between a sword, bite, and lance. And Robin's blade is closer to a dagger.

Is the FE hate just making people stupid?

I'd like to remind anyone reading this that Roy and Ike are testosterone while Marth and Lucina are estrogen.

I don't dislike Hero for being swordsmen, but for having a boring, unimaginative moveset to match the boring, unimaginative series that is Dragon Quest.

And yes, I know Marth has been in the series since Melee
But Lucina is so close to being the perfect character that we don't even need him anymore

Attached: luci9.jpg (400x463, 58K)

Why not just make lucina marth alt and some other lords to like leif

Yeah, this, exactly.

>Chrom was an Ike alt,
t.hasnt played the game
He's a clone of roy

cmon dude don't forget the move where he throws his axe down to the ground only to punch his opponent

Attached: HECTOR SMASH.gif (480x320, 710K)