Remind me, why this game was shit?

Remind me, why this game was shit?

No, not the Dad Fire, the first one.

Attached: pillars-of-eternity-09.png (1920x1080, 2.28M)

it just is

Because of RTWP combat.

boring as fuck gameplay and every literal who no name npc shits out his word spaghetti without you even asking

I already noticed its clusterfuck but aside from that?

It wasn't designed to be fun. It was designed to tick the right boxes and be balanced and adequate from a meta standpoint. No one ever stopped during its development to ask, "am I having fun playing this?"

Gets stale by the 3rd act. The expansion was kino though.

I've never seen someone put so perfect a pin on it but there it is

Boring setting and story, and even more boring itemization, also tons of boring trash fights. Deadfire was mostly a step up but still flawed.

What is the problem with RTWP? I hear that it is bad but no one ever tries to say why?

no xp for fights, kickstarter backer-penned content standing in for dev-penned content, tossed off worldbuilding, WoW colour scheme

you will never be truly Japanese no matter what console games you buy, you pathetic weeb

I liked the whole game, i dunno. The expansion is great. I even liked its political and religious drama.

>no exp for combat yet you can't go five steps without having to fight something
>verbose, sometimes it feels like they wrote stuff only because they could
>constant balance changes which fucked my playthrough multiple times
Those were the problems I had with it.

It's a worst of both worlds scenario that has neither the tactical aspect of turn-based nor the skill requirement of real-time combat. Also rtwp games have a bizarre tendency to be full of trash fights.

>itemization
did you mean items

It has its flaws for sure, but I had a decent time playing it.

Biggest problems are that the combat really lacks anything super powerful or special that makes it feel rewarding, so even though it though it's satisfyingly tactical, it starts feeling tedious after a while. There's no really awesome moments like the first time in Baldurs Gate when you throw off a fireball spell and it annihilates an enemy party in one hit, or getting speed boots and dashing in and smashing mages with your 2 handed sword before they can get any spells off.

The second big weakness is the story. All the interesting stuff in the world already happened, and the plot you do play feels like an unimportant spinoff of an epic fantasy novel. In the backstory there was this sweet setup of a whole bunch of the most capable people in the world coming together to forge a magical weapon that would be able to stop the rampage of a living god, which feels like it would make for an awesome RPG plot. Instead, we get a really small scale story set in a podunk kingdom where all you do is take out some unthreatening mook. It's really underwhelming and doesn't give very many memorable moments.

All that being said, there are a few gems of gameplay and story buried in among the dirt, so its not like I hated it or anything. It just comes across as mediocre, which is a shame considering how many great isometric RPGs were coming out alongside it.

Attached: rpgs.png (648x474, 388K)

Trash mops are only a problem in turn based games.

>the world coming together to forge a magical weapon that would be able to stop the rampage of a living god, which feels like it would make for an awesome RPG plot
I think this then becomes the plot of Deadfire

Bros, I just beat White March Part II, and now I have most of the Twin Elms shit left. Is it worth it? haven't played in months, but I remember how easy my dickass rogue with BiS gear and min/maxed party was. Already made the Adra/Ice dragon's my bitches.

Attached: Mantis Blades.png (1281x534, 507K)

Itemization generally means how interesting items are or how they interact mechanically with the rest of the game. There are no items with interesting or memorable stats in PoE, for example. It's like someone ran through a numbers generator until some semblance of identity was found.

Each attempt Obsidian makes to create their own universe rather than simply deconstruct a setting made by others, has been more disastrous than the last. Aside from the outdated gameplay and lifeless cities, Pillars of Eternity's only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of combat mechanics, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Sawyer vetoed the idea of making anything at all innovative or original; he made sure the game would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable nostalgia pandering to ageing Baldur's Gate fans. Pillars of Eternity might be anti-casual(or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Divinity series in its refusal of spontaneity, fun and excitement.

>a-at least the writing was good though

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the narrative was terrible. As I played, I noticed that every time I engaged in dialogue with an NPC the game presented me with a Wiki-page style infodump instead of anything resembling actual human conversation.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time this was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Sawyer's mind is so governed by obsession with pointless minutiae of the lore that he has no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Pillars of Eternity by the same David Gaider. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kiddies are playing Obsidian games at 17 or 18, then when they get older they will go on to enjoy Dragon Age II." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Pillars of Eternity" you are, in fact, trained to shill for Bioware.

Attached: PillarsOfEternityII Screenshot 2018.05.11 - 18.59.59.40.png (1920x1080, 3.46M)

I liked the game, was happy to finish it. Twin Elms isnt that long if I remember.

based Obsidian pasta

Devs failed to realize that Infinity games were good in spite of Infinity not because of it

t. hasn't played BG or Pillars

Both games have trash fights out the ass.

I play BG and liked it so much I played IWD.

They're a problem when you get nothing out of them or when they're bland because of limited enemy types. Pillars does the former because you get no experience out of them, and no Bestiary does not count, while Tyranny did the latter.

who chanter here

retard I would replay the infinity engine games any day of the week over larian shit

twin elms is basically the final act of the game

hope you enjoyed White march, it's one of my favourite dlcs in an rpg ever. none of the dlcs in deadfire are nearly as good

I was playing the first game on path of the damned. And I literally cannot beat the first boss, so I went to white march and scaled the content. I am not using any hired characters just the main ones, but I think that was a mistake, I can't beat the game with these characters I think I need to restart.

Has anyone beaten PoTD with the story characters or am I fucked?

last boss*