13 years ago, PC gaming was basically dead

Now it's stronger than it has ever been

Who saved PC gaming?

Attached: file.png (1000x887, 652K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tIN_nl5BBlQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Who saved PC gaming?

Unironically Steam. Created a very visible platform that made PC gaming piss easy to get into and its success convinced publishers who abandoned the PC in the mid 2000s that the PC was actually a viable platform to release games on

The fact that console care less about exclusives than ever made PC gaming take off. The trend lately has been PS4+PC exclusive or xbone+PC exclusive. In general most consoles barely have exclusives to begin with. PS4 has what? Bloodborne, gow and Spiderman? The console has been out for how long and that's all it has to show for itself? Xbone has Halo 5? There's no reason to own these underpowered machines if you want the best gaming experience.

>stronger than ever
Someone post the 2018 lineup

Nintendo siphoned the entire underage market with the Wii and when push comes to shoves with the economy people went for the PC because PC owners shill it harder than any Microsoft/Sony marketer ever could.

It's the literal opposite OP

Console manufacturers taking longer and longer to put out new hardware helps.

>He actually thinks PC gaming is worse than it was in the late 2000s

How?

>360/ PS3 era pushed people to PC with shitty exclusives and paid online
>Parts where cheaper than ever
>Parts we're more compatible than ever, building a new PC was easy
>Steam and it's famous sales
>Steams features and store front
>Pirating
>No generational gap, you didn't have to pull your ps2 out of your closet if you wanted to play, say battlefront 2

Modern consoles for performing like shit

Motherfucking Crysis.

The epic game store

Is anyone pushing PC graphics anymore? Can I just get a $400 desktop and be set for 5 years?

Objectively wrong. PC alone is just as big as all console and game sales combined.

Attached: Global_Games_Market_2018.png (4000x2250, 180K)

still weak. too expensive means too niche means most consumers are poor consoleonlyfags means no games for pc except multplats and shitty ports. its way better than 10 years ago but it still niche outside of e-sports aka shooters and mobas, it will never replace consoles.
based retard

league of legends and steam

See

Attached: 1549374966310.jpg (4088x2422, 2.85M)

The Rising of Mobile game. In addition, new AAA games are trash.

>stronger than ever

Name 3 good PC exclusives of 2019. If the lack of games isn't enough, what about the ever increasing cost of hardware?

13 years ago PC gaming was alive and well. In 2006 we were enjoying Battlefield before it got killed by consoles, World of Warcraft, CSS with the peak of sourcemods, and all kinds of games from the time. Stop trying to be revisionist.

Steam

How is cost even relevant on a gaming enthusiast image board? People who care about their hobby are willing to spend more than a casual hobbyist for the best experience. Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on trainsets? How about model cars? How about actual cars? PC gaming is by far the best way to experience any gaming. The fact that console warring even exists on this board shows how underage the poster population is.

What is:
>Minecraft
>LoL
>DoTa
>Fuck tons of total war games
>City skylines
>Everything paradox interactive
>Tons of new CRPGs
>Arma 3
>Quake legends
>Divinity original sin 2
>WoW
>Pathfinder
>Anno
>Hundreds of Indies
>VNs
The list goes on

>Outing yourself as a casual
Pricing for hardware are going down thanks to Bitcoin dropping.

Its not really that long until its dead again when next gen ps5 drops next year with 12tf gpu with hardware ray tracing, custom controller nvme ssd and actual good decktop tier cpu this time around. All of this for just 500$.

Meanwhile pc cucks dont even have properly functioning hdr, most games dont even have it at all since no one gonna make shitty tn gaming monitors with hdr.

>prices should go down as technology improves!
it may be a fair point but that never ever happened in any hobby, industry, medium, trade, etc etc and it will never happen as long as its ((((them)))) selling the products.

all of this is trash and waste of time

Total war 3 kingdoms
Satisfactory
Anno 1800

Lmao you believe this?

Post your setup ANons

Attached: 2w.jpg (4000x1500, 1.4M)

This. Gabe Newell litterally saved pc gaming.

What did EA, Epic, Ubisoft, etc do during that time? Said fuck you and went to focus on consoles. Now they're coming back and begging people to use their Steam ripoff.

Ps4 pro """"4k"""""
Isn't even 4k and only a handful of games can even hit 30fps. Almost none even run at 60. What can possibly expect from the ps5?

Just like PlayStation's 3 movie game exclusives.

>$500
I hope Microsoft and Sony will release legit machines and charge $600 for them
I currently own the XboneX and enjoy it, but I don't see how they can release systems that are considerably more powerful than the X and sell them for about the same price, roughly a year from now

This, claiming anything else would be deluded. Every dev that was someone was jumping ship in 2005 to consoles claiming PC was completely unviable due to piracy.

Attached: TooChivalrousForThisShit.png (1495x1172, 315K)

Free games

Do people here actually buy game?
I mean if literally every PC game can be easily obtainable through torrents, I don't see why anyone would purchase anything from Steam unless it's for an online game

if not for the fact that consoles have more noteworthy exclusives (AKA the flashy, big AAA ones normalfags care about) PC would just steamroll everything in its way and the only consoles able to actually not compete, but to just live would be nintendo consoles, just because they are gimmicky and dont focus on hardware specs anyway

Attached: 1255806814318670.gif (395x512, 478K)

Now we just need more Linux support for PC. Windows exclusivity is pain.

not to mention how Microsoft started putting exclusives onto PC. they even fucking announced game pass for PC at E3

Everything is scaleable now. So you can be fine with a budget PC if you're just trying to do 1080p 60fps. It's the high resolutions and refresh rates that require the top end stuff.

his name is Gaben but i call him daddy

steam, console ports.

Incorrect. Consoles are made for people who aren't intelligent enough to own a PC. They're the iPhone of gaming.

>Now it's stronger than it has ever been
If your gauge of strength is how many console ports it gets, then yeah. The landscape of games developed specifically for PC is a barren fucking wasteland compared to the late 90s and early 2000s.

Attached: 1252834645250.jpg (240x250, 10K)

These big AAA exclusives advertise there shallow games as blockbuster experiences to normies and they eat that shit up.

And most pc players have 1080p tn displays and shit hardware that wont run anything on console settings.
Theres plenty of true 4k games on xbox. And all snoy first parties are 1800p checkerboarded which doesnt really look any worse than the real 4k if you play on tv. All of them are solid 30fps with no lag and gt sport is 60fps 4k.

PC gamers literally holding gaming back by having shit hardware and technology compared to consoles.

>middle monitor is slightly bigger
0/10

Gaben is love my brother

oh yea, also that and the retarded, outdated mindset that "PC is for work, consoles are for games"

same thing can be said for any platform

THIS
My roommate came home a few days ago with a PS4 pro telling me how good 4k looks and this retard was devestated when I told him his TV was only a 1080p display.

Yep. Also, >manually updating games
Thank god that's over with

Based Tim Sweeney

Nope. PC has exploded in popularity and has more users than all consoles combined.

1080p is fine for me, you are closer to the screen anyway with pc. 4k doesn't matter as much. Eventually yeah, I'll probably have it or 8k if that comes and nobody makes 4k anymore before I actually get it.

>Thank god that's over with

You don't miss having to scour file sharing sites to find the most up to date version of a game and hoping you found the right one?

fpbp
And he still wins despite Sweeney trying his damnedest.

Attached: thisfatfuckisstealingmillions.jpg (640x366, 26K)

Easy to find cheap games is a major part as there are so many games you can find for free or for a few bucks. Having decades of games easily available is another factor, as you have more choice on what to play and even a toaster can tun plenty of them.

yes, video games are a waste of time, your point?

>Nope.
Uh huh. Name the modern equivalents of high quality, high production value, and really popular games like Age of Empires 2, Heroes of Might & Magic 3, Half-Life, Counter Strike, Baldur's Gate 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, Deus Ex etc. made specifically for PC in the last 5 years.

fpbp

It does look great on 1080p since it supports supersampling, you can turn it on or of in video settings

I agree that it doesnt matter, but tv manufacturers dont give a fuck so sony and ms have no choice but make everything run in 4k.

Age of empires 3, Divinity original sin, hearthstone, CS GO, Pathfinder:Kingmaker, Diablo 3, Arma 3, Daulntless.

Arguably you could say that Microsoft did more by making their consoles essentially low-midrange PCs. It's arguable that anyone could have made a digital distribution platform and there were ones before steam. It was the fact that publishers could port their games to PC quickly and on the cheap that helped make it a viable platform.

>consoles are the iPhone of gaming
This quote should be printed and framed

PC has never been dead
Its the only platform to support simulations, as in the kind of game people can play for a lifetime.

you have to go back to r/pcmasterrace

>Who saved PC gaming?
Pirates giving free advertisement.

>2006
>Dead
Battlefield 2142
Call of Juarez
Company of Heroes
Desperados 2
Half Life 2 Episode One
Medieval II Total War
Rome Total War Alexander
Gothic 3
Anno 1701
Dark Messiah
TES Oblivion
Prey
Race
Red Orchestra Ostfront
Caesar IV
Tomb Raider Legends
Quake IV
Secret Files Tunguska
The Guild 2
Rapelay

Attached: 1413923890608.jpg (480x360, 30K)

Can you imagine consoles to have become anything but low-midrange PC's though? I feel like that was an inevitability.

Can't tell if joke post or not but it's equally pathetic either way.

Nope. It was literally twitch that made PC gaming popular.

steam, esports and streaming

>13 years ago, PC gaming was basically dead
This is a myth. What happened is in the 7th gen a few US PC developers, angered by the endless piracy problem on the platform, moved over to making their games for consoles instead. This lead to a brief lull in PC releases for maybe a year but that was quickly filled by primarily European devs as PC is a relatively much more popular platform in Europe than it is in the US. Those US devs, not seeing the huge sales they expected on consoles, started releasing to PC again with multiplats. Half a decade after all this happened Steam was putting on sales with massive discounts of up to 90% off. People flocked to the platform because of the enormous savings. This led to the formation of a bullshit cult of personality around Gabe Newell including the creation of the myth "Steam saved PC gaming" when in reality there had been no decline in revenue for PC. Revenue was increasing the whole time the platform was supposedly "dead". Even the notion Steam bought Jap devs is utter bullshit. Stuff like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc., etc. had all been ported to PC well before Steam was around.

It attracted console vermin that now fill the PC best seller lists with console ports.

Nobody:
>13 years ago, PC gaming was basically dead

all of these are low production value, low profile, except maybe for diablo, which is still very old and have been ported to all platforms, even to switch

Theres nothing on pc at all of the same magnitude as HZD, death stranding, bloodborne, or GOW, or basically any first party snoy game.

i miss battlerealms

Bethesda
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Nah, PC gaming's dark age was 2008-2014.
Nowadays it's shit, just like consoles, but it'll NEVER be that shit.
I can't think of a single worthwhile PC game from 2008-2014.
At least consoles got Demon's Souls and Super Mario Galaxy 2 and RDR around that time.

just kys already chink

Attached: 1560339440543.jpg (750x562, 39K)

John Bain did.
F

Attached: 1550790890470.png (1217x1080, 678K)

Stay mad pleb

>Name 3 good PC exclusives of 2019.
Risk of Rain 2
Total War Three Kingdoms
Mordhau

What do I win?

this is post BASED

Attached: 1559908700116.png (1067x458, 411K)

The peak of source mods was 2009 though.

Hello steamshill, your company is literally the console games of PC gaming with all its shit.

Nah, consoles are the Macs of gaming.
Kids buying overpriced crap and thinking they're superior because they're the best corporate drones.

Going into the seventh console generation we had just seen Sony stomp the Dreamcast and Xbox which both came in with architecture that was a lot closer to PC so it was easy to think that the PS3's cell processor would be another win. Consoles had always had unique hardware that gave them specific benefits that the PC didn't. I think Sony and Nintendo were resistant to blurring that line and it really took a company with the money and persistence to break that line of thought.

>Theres nothing on pc at all of the same magnitude as HZD, death stranding or GOW
Thank god, we don't need shitty cinematic turds.

Here's a tad newer one.

>muh exclusives
Squad
Hell Let Loose
A Hat in Time's DLC

Attached: brief history of PC gaming - up to 2018.jpg (6641x2963, 3.81M)

thats because this was the last wave of quality pc games

what do you think happened after bf2142?

>Squad
>2019
Que?
Hell Let Loose is top tier though.

At least Macs allow you to install any software you want. iphones litterally restrict what applications you can use. You cannot install anything outside the app store. That's how consoles work, too.

""epic"" narrative bro

Attached: 1560216806414.jpg (710x2412, 86K)

Yeah when it comes to the consoles though, I mean I guess there's "some" argument because of screen distance as I said. But yeah lot of people don't even know how to set 1080p right on their tv from cable etc sources some even still using coax connections to their cable box.

>Magnitude
BB, Gow, and HZD are miles wide and 2 inches deep. Those games were made to wow brainletts at e3 with "NEXT GEN CINEMATICS", but deliver nothing in terms of depth.
I can't say anything about DS because it hasn't dropped.
If you wanted to say MAGNITUDE you should've said rdr2.

Linux is better even on a Mac. Even more freedom.

seethe

Kill yourself, zero-content frognigger

>zero-content
like the epic store?

every single update is enough to make it feel like a brand new game. Hopefully it also leaves its "eternal alpha" this year.

Squad is pretty good. It's name is very literally tho if you don't plan on jumping into a game with friends or at least ready to communicate with teammates your gonna get fucked.

I met a cool homeless guy and we went on an adventure in Amsterdam, join us:

youtu.be/tIN_nl5BBlQ

Attached: E2F6B9E0-49D7-43E8-95E4-55F41F6815B2.jpg (1280x736, 186K)

Insurgency sandstorm
Risk of rain 2
Anno 1800
Mordhau

I pirate, you scum redditor

Call of Juarez, Desperados 2, Oblivion, Quake 4, and The Guild 2 are shit though.
Not even going to acknowledge the meme game that is Rapelay.

2007 was still a great year.
BF2142 failed because everyone was still playing BF2. A lot of those games didn't sell particularly well because back then there were too many good games released in too short a time frame.

Cute

This 100%, anyone who says otherwise is underage or seriously retarded, possibly both. And people wonder why Steam has such a passionate defence force, they earned it.

>thats because this was the last wave of quality pc games
it's like you forgot that 2007 with its Crysis, STALKER SoC, Witcher 1... etc, happened!

Attached: stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl-20070309051703210.jpg (1600x1200, 325K)

>>Minecraft
good
>>LoL
shit
>>DoTa
shit
>>Fuck tons of total war games
shit
>>City skylines
shit
>>Everything paradox interactive
shit
>>Tons of new CRPGs
shit
>>Arma 3
shit
>>Quake legends
shit
>>Divinity original sin 2
shit
>>WoW
shit
>>Pathfinder
shit
>>Anno
shit
>>Hundreds of Indies
shit
>>VNs
ultra turbo shit

I got it, you are just pathetic boomer who hates videogames. Bloodborne is literally game of decade. Dark souls was the most important game that came out in last 10 years and bb takes it to another level.
HZD isnt different compared to W3 which you were shitting yourself over with, except it has actual indepth combat

Call of Juarez was one of the best shooters ever made. Definitely better than Prey

>ever increasing cost of hardware?
Hardware gets cheaper over time, retard. The more expensive hardware is the one that is new, and it's price drops astronomically faster than the new products from other industries.

>stalker
>quality game

Anno 1800 is actually good.
The rest is dogshit.

>this was the last wave of quality pc games
>what is team fortress 2

>nufag user
>valid opinions

Attached: u mad.jpg (671x531, 53K)

Word of mouth and console companies fucking up on a constant basis.

The only people who think PC gaming is at its worst now are console converts and zoomers who weren't around before this current generation.
As someone who's an idort, gen 7 was fucking awful for PC gaming with tons of devs dying or fucking off to consoles and 90% of games being shitty ports.
Nowadays, literally the exact opposite is happening, with tons of devs moving to PC and most games being ports from PC to consoles.
I may not be a fan of digital distribution, but Steam unironically revitalized PC gaming after how awful gen 7 was.

>Game of the decade
BB took the DS formula and dumbed it down in every aspect.
Nothing on the PlayStation would even be considered for game of the decade.

No, the original Call of Juarez fucking sucks dick, and I don't think I need to mention trash like The Cartel. The only decent Call of Juarez game is Gunslinger, and it's not amazing or anything, just decent.

Why is Yea Forums full of consolefags?
Also, why is PC gaming the polar opposite of everything bad?
PC is against consoles, against mobile shit, has very little weaboo shit, and is overall against bad business practices.
Only bad thing is that MS is trying to pull some shady shit on PC.
And that means that using Linux on PC makes you the absolute top chad of gaming.

Attached: grand_theft_gentoo.jpg (1280x720, 95K)

Based retard

>Le virgin FPS vs le Chad strategy

>except it has actual indepth combat
Ahh yes, I sure love hiding in waist-height grass and stealth-killing braindead human AI for literally half the fucking game.

What a filthy casual

>Linux
>Gaming

LOL

Objectively wrong

Daw

Because they're either underage, poorfags, or casuals.

I will fight you m8, Gunslinger is by far the best CoJ game.

Yeah, fuck off with your bullshit revisionism, mate.

For starters, Steam happened years before 7th gen, was doing OK long before, but became a HUGE thing around 07 with the Orange Box release + more and more 3rd party devs getting interested of it.

Second, PC gaming has been ""Dying"" for over 30 years now according to some cynical faggots. Then something always "revitalizes" it by these same morons.

bottom line: PC gaming has been doing fucking FINE ever since 1980s. It's just console fags living in a bubble that spread this false BS, every year.

You even have to like steam ir valve, this is just objectively true. You could also stretch and say digital games.

Attached: 1530315893402.jpg (1536x2048, 489K)

never been on the site but whatever floats your boat (get it)

please tell me what games are good going of your list i'd say fifa and cawadoody

What games to you play?

Wtf

To be fair everything he listed except for Pathfinder, D:OS2 and Total War is shit

I miss them bros. I miss when they were good.

Attached: HalfLife_Portal_Logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 217K)

>For starters, Steam happened years before 7th gen, was doing OK long before, but became a HUGE thing around 07 with the Orange Box release + more and more 3rd party devs getting interested of it.
In 2007? I don't think so. Steam started getting popular around 2009-2010 because of the huge sales they put on. Before that it was just that thing you had to run if you wanted to play a Valve game. Their biggest spike in the userbase happened between 2012-2014. That's when it became "HUGE".

Name 20 great PC games released between 2008 and 2014.
No ports, I'll even accept multiplats so long as they were focused on PC initially.
They are FEW and far between for those years, because everyone was jumping on the console bandwagon (and largely failing).
Gen 7 saw the death of the AA market, which was a HUGE chunk of PC gaming before then.
Just look at what happened to established PC franchises during those years and how they were ruined/consolized:
>Crysis
>F.E.A.R
>Command and Conquer
>Battlefield
>Call of Duty
>Quake
>Unreal Tournament
>Thief
>Splinter Cell
>Hitman
>Medal of Honor
>TES (although it was already ruined with Oblivion)

All of these games went from being largely PC-focused to largely console-focused between these years, and many of them are either dead or complete shit nowadays.
The only one that came away somewhat unscathed is Hitman.

Twitch and streaming in general has helped pull a lot of zoomers to PC, like it or not.
Just look at the front page of Twitch, it's almost entirely PC exclusives or multiplats being played on PC.

Microsoft has also made a nice effort to make their games PC/Xbox multiplat in the last few years too.

Cheaper parts

ehh i also like quake and dota/the custom game scene in general

laziness. I used to pirate everything for 2 decades but ever since my first job I'm just too lazy too bother with cracks, viruses, waiting for a a proper release etc and I can buy and install a game with like 3 clicks inside a single application

1) Steam streamlined things. Making sure your games were up to date without having to individually check each game's website for patches. And then there was bullshit like having DRM keys inside the physical packaging, and when you eventually lose the slip of paper with your key on it and then want to reinstall, you have to find cracks (or even if you still had it, you probably want to get a no-cd crack anyway), and there were all sorts of driver problems and so on.
2) it's not so much PC gaming getting better, as it's been console gaming getting worse and worse, making PC more appealing in comparison.
3) relative cost of getting a PC capable of running modern games has dropped a lot over the years. Probably as a result of consoles bottlenecking development, along with much longer generation spans than before.

You are contributing to Lutris library, right?
You are helping build the system that allows normalfags easily get their games to work?

Nah, I think that's just stupidity.
I also have a decent job but I still pirate from time to time.
Mainly if the devs piss me off.
If I want to support you, I will.
If I don't, I won't.

Same here, although I normally still won't buy a game until it's gone down in price significantly unless it's something I'm really hyped for, which is rare.

For example I bought FO3 and Skyrim eventually on steam when they were dirt cheap, just because Steam's ability to check the data folder and automatically reinstall files is very convenient when fucking around with mods and replacers. Much simpler than either keeping a pirated .iso on hand and reinstalling manually every time I needed a clean install or needed some files back.

>bf2142
It actually kills me inside that I'll never see a proper sequel to this. I don't even want a 2143 now that I think about how they would plague the game with lootboxes

>Who saved PC gaming?
Me! I am the savior of PC gaming!

>thank god the culture of learning how to solve your problems is dead
You are the cancer.

>be me
>little boy in the mid 2000s
>only ever played games on my shitty pc
>everytime I go to a shop to buy a new game the PC games section is smaller
>one day it just isn't there anymore, it's all console games
this shit scarred me for life

Attached: 1515705977696.png (657x527, 31K)

>I enjoy unecessary extra effort just because
Yeah we're such badass for being able to find patches on the internet

Companies spent millions upon millions marketing on YouTube with channels like LinusShillTips and it worked

IKTF

Attached: 1555103425210.png (852x1256, 55K)

this

Not much I can contribute at the moment because my game pc is dead and I gotta save up for another.

TF2

Attached: tuxedopepe1.jpg (334x506, 42K)

extremely based and absolute redpilled

Attached: cheers5.jpg (888x894, 379K)