Flight Simulator uses 2 petabytes of geographical data

>Spencer says that 2 petabytes of geographical data is used to seamlessly stitch together Earth. The trailer rushes past cities, swoops down so we can see elephants and giraffes hanging around and then soars the mountains for some truly incredible views.

>Spencer warned the team: "You're going to have to put at the bottom that it's in-game, because nobody is going to believe that's in the game."

>Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming next year.

pcgamer.com/microsoft-wants-to-bring-back-flight-simulator-to-show-it-supports-pc/

Attached: Screenshot_20190612-120348.jpg (1080x1420, 548K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hclJSKHZvrU
virpil-controls.eu/
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1_pUMwnE0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So MS will stream 2 petabytes of information to my pc. How much are they taking back?

so this solo nogame is always online? are you kidding me?

hopefully they make it realistic and keep the earth flat

this

I'd love to see what happens when I fly low over Area 51 or Pyonyang.

based

Will require a subscription to play I'll bet, but the fans won't mind, they love throwing money at this stuff (for wacky controllers, haptic feedback, mods, etc.)

based

WTC mods when?

Attached: 911chan.jpg (286x216, 21K)

yes but does flight simulator allow me to pilot a plane through a train tunnel after an enemy ace?

Attached: playcrimsonskies3.png (1366x768, 1.07M)

2 petabytes.
2 extra petabytes, to be clear.

i wonder what happens when they inevitably shut down the servers

*concave

if i don't hit that glass firmament i'm going to be mad.

Attached: eb1b8b8ad5af711a838985b3bff239ff.jpg (909x538, 83K)

I wonder if crashing will be realistic

>MS will stream 2 petabytes of information to my pc
only if you manage to fly over all of the earth simultaneously.

How else they gonna have a fully seamless 100% accurate globe?

Is this REALLY a fucking issue dude? I get that always online is shit it the intent is to stop piracy or to fuck over consumers but this will be always online to access a genuinely fucking impressive feature of the game.

It's like complaining you have to always be online to access Google maps on your phone or something.

>idiots think the game will have 2 petabyte or stream that data

the outsource it to google earth.

It never is in these fucking "sims"

I wonder if they'll have a default map for when the servers are down so it can still be played after service is over or you're offline, I don't think I like this always online stuff

>How else they gonna have a fully seamless 100% accurate globe?

How does literally every other game do it?

Nah that is equivalent to shutdown bing maps and azure

I hope Wycombe airfield is in the game.

yes, not everybody is a mindless slave like you that gets fucked in the mouth every day and defend it to others telling "dude is that REALLY an issue", hoping for a "no" because you are used to spineless other slaves refusing conflict with you.

I hope they give us a lot of DC reps, fuck Boeing and Airbus

Name 3

...what the fuck does superman have to do with this game

fuck user you made me spit out my coffee in laughter. Thanks for getting me started on my day right

Attached: nwtneqfb.jpg (640x360, 32K)

Dude just skip the game. It's not for you.

Now I want to see a driving game to this caliber. Just one accurate city would be fucking awesome.

How many 500GB SSDs should I buy bros?

OMG WTF I CAN'T POST ON Yea Forums WITHOUT A ALWAYS ONLINE CONNECTION BRO WTF

WTF I CANT WATCH YOUTUBE WITHOUT AN ALWAYS ONLINE CONNECTION THE JEWS ARE AT IT AGAIN!

No other game uses global satellite imaging data to project the real world locations that you can fly around in.

Will we get to recreate famous aviation disasters from recent history?

Attached: 1524689737026.png (451x619, 429K)

4000, apparently.

>implying that's not gonna happen eventually

Good question.

I want to recreate that episode of emmerdale where the helicopter crashed into the village.

I already have 1 BTW

>The best-looking, most soulful game MS has pushed out in a decade is fucking Flight Simulator

Are they even trying?

I'm scared anons, this might be the push I need to buy a flight stick, but I'm afraid of the rabbit hole I'll fall into. I only have so much money...

Attached: 1508271659864.png (1280x720, 833K)

You’re already 60% of the way there.

Man this's gonna be beautiful to play.
Well done Microsoft, you guys still have hope
also Azure>Google Cloud Services so the texture streaming'll work fine
the best Microsoft games are flight sims, bitch.

A friend of mine who's a pilot will definitely gobble this game up.

Ace combat uses flight stick too if I remember correctly.

>flight stick
>vr headset
>decent headphones
>good chair

Attached: Sunglasses_Hitler.png (217x211, 18K)

You can't post to Yea Forums without an internet connection. It's not the same thing as DRM anti piracy authentication which is where "always online" spawned from.

This game streams locational satellite data to the player to recreate 1:1 perfect simulation of earth. Not something you can do offline you fucking mongoloid.

I think you're right, but I'm more into comfy leisure flight than dog-fighting in jets (as fun as that is)

crimson skies 3 when

>dismissing the one thing MS actually does well
have you played the OG Fight Simulator?

Shit. Now I want a flight stick too.

After playing that exact same setup with Elite Dangerous (minus the filght stick) I can't fucking wait for this game to drop

nothing user, they already have it all

This is the sort of game that literally no other gaming company in the world could possibly achieve. Sasuga Microsoft.

I am excited to see how they'll make it work on Xbox,

>yfw Stadia was working on a flight sim using Google Maps but got cucked by MS

Attached: 1505242974137.png (1000x1000, 602K)

>playing flight simulator with a controller

i'm sure if they made enough button combos to account for all the aircraft functions it could work.

THIS IS A FUCKING GREAT THING IDIOT
Google maps FUCKING SUCK

I doubt it would be playable with a controller besides maybe a babby's easy mode. They' have to ask you to plug in a keyboard at the very least.

>button combos brah
>button combos

even though flying a plane with an analog stick seems retarded.

Foxtrot Alpha Golf

There's only so much you can do with button combos. Reminds me of my friends and I trying to playing Magicka on PS4, gave me aneurysms.

Golf Alpha Yankee

I doubt it. Some of the people wont allow it.

A keyboard, a mouse, a joystick and a controller all at the same time.

>Is this REALLY a fucking issue dude?
Only if it's massively multiplayer. Imagine having to use callsigns and follow accurate flight patterns just to not crash into eachother and get banned.

Also why can't you just download a large area you want to fly around in and play offline as an option?

and kinect.

Please don’t remind us of that turd.

>inb4 Yea Forums plans a party to fly over New York

do you think they'll have native VR support?

>. It's not for you.
hahahahaha HOLY SHIT agains with "I'll give orders, people usually obey me by fear of conflict"
NO. YOU fuck off, you fucking slave. YOU have nothing to do in that industry.

what? you didn't like kinectimals? i mean surely microsoft can implement motion controls into their newest iteration of flight simulator. it will be revolutionary.

I don’t want to stand in the middle of the room and act like a plane.

what the fuck is this post

If you can't flick switches and push buttons like in DCS then I dunno what the point of this game is.

Maybe you can do that. I don't think we have much details yet.

Excuse me?

This is one of the very few situations I think always online is excused... But when MS shuts down the servers they should still patch it to work without the massive streamed global map

The flying maybe.

boomer schizos truly are a spectacular sight

The previous game does it fine already.

Can you play with a controller? I'm not buying a flying stick.

Lmao based retard.
X-plane is 200gb+ and still looks like shit.

Yeah but this is NEW previous game.

user...

>tfw schizoaffective so I completely understand this babble

Attached: nice.jpg (273x185, 5K)

x-plane is 60gb with all earth installed.

just think of the possibilities. you could have aircraft marshaller minigames in which you have to guide planes onto the taxiway.

Which mental hospital did you break out of where you're going delusional over a flight sim?

This, Bing Map is unironically vastly superior.

>Now I want to see a driving game to this caliber. Just one accurate city would be fucking awesome.
That's a challenge on a whole new level. The amount of detail you need to look good from the air is completely different from how much detail you need from the ground. It would unironically be easier to model an entire city the normal way.

I still want to be able to download my favorite locations so I don't have to stream everytime I boot the game.

>The flying maybe

Attached: 1528570730229.jpg (680x383, 17K)

take your meds

yes, but you'll have over a hundred button combos to memorise.

It’s the tekken of flight games.

I hope you have over 5tb to dedicate to it.

Attached: OK.jpg (375x305, 29K)

wew

This is the first time I have ever heard of petabytes before.

Shit mate i still have my x52 pro stashed somewhere. Will have to go dig through the attic before the game comes out.

Attached: saitek-x52-pro.jpg (1100x1000, 100K)

based schizoid

literally button mashing in order to engage flaps and begin descent.

Why the fuck isn’t this on your mantle

That’s sexy as fuck

>a flight simulator with fighting game mechanics

I never was into flight games but I kind of want to play Orbiter Sim again. If only they updated the game more than once every decade.

Attached: 1457721651557.jpg (400x317, 19K)

It does look really impressive. If I have more disposable income by the time it comes out then it could be worth getting a VR headset and a new graphics card for.

Based.

Play CHOADE

Attached: 20190524194757_1.jpg (1920x1080, 161K)

>thread about the most tedious, hidden bottom of the genre game
>schizo is having a breakdown in it
o I am laffin

Attached: 100 nuke driveby.webm (1920x1080, 1.74M)

i dont play with chodes

>firing 100 nukes against a single ship
This seems fun but I have literally never heard of this before.

it requires extremely technologically advanced autism to play

Attached: tumblr_m81efx2aae1qfpdk7.jpg (412x352, 20K)

cringe ironic flat-earther

It is overkill, usually 10-40 is enough, depending on the enemy ship. Only one nuke detonates, though. Others get damaged by the first and are unable to detonate. But if you send only one, it will get shut-down. Another strategy is to send a few real nukes with a ton of duds, but nukes are so cheap there isn't really any need to do that. That's what real space warfare will be. A shit ton of nukes.

Attached: 20180704173230_1.jpg (1920x1080, 473K)

Nukes are fucking terrible in CODE it's actually better to disable the warheads and use them as KKVs.

I think a lot of people have a fundamental misunderstanding regarding how terrain works in MSFS (or at least how it used to work in 2004 and X). Essentially you had a global mesh that could have a resolution of anything between 2 and 20 meters (I don't know the exact numbers). Then areas on that mesh were assigned "land classes" (here be farmland, here be light forest, etc) and a standard texture was drawn over them. The buildings and trees weren't individually placed, but automatically generated (which is why people called them autogen back then), only selected landmarks were hand-placed.

This system allowed MSFS to represent the entire world somewhat accurately, without using terabytes of memory. The data necessary to create this scenery was acquired from NASA and this is probably what the "2 petabytes" refers to. In the end the game's scenery will be several orders of magnitude smaller on the hard drive.

The default scenery was always kinda shitty outside of the US but thankfully add-ons could cover more localized areas and would completely blow the default scenery out of the water.

This is what I'm looking forward to the most.

>tfw just a white guy

Can't wait for the Sky King tributes!

>not having a 3km ship that shoots vanilla capital ships as ammunition, filled with nukes

Attached: why.jpg (1920x1080, 292K)

I had mastered Orbiter Sim by the age of 14, a very long time ago. It has a 135 page manual that looks like picture related.

And then, there's the autistic mod-community for this game. That's on a whole other level, too.

Attached: Random pages from the Orbiter Sim manual.jpg (1813x847, 578K)

Basado

Why not just use google maps? It already has a big part of the world in 3D

also, don't believe anything you see in the trailer, I remember getting really hyped for FSX and then it looked nowhere near as good as promised and was an unoptimized mess that strained 2006 computers to their limits. The general sentiment in the community was one of disappointment. Then again, it also gave us the first Downfall Hitler parody
youtube.com/watch?v=hclJSKHZvrU

>737 MAX with MCAS
>it forces your nose down even though you're nowhere near stalling
>crash

Bro just fuck off back to whatever schizo deepweb community you came from please

Now imagine having to learn all of this AND actual materials and processes that are used in building those ships

Attached: 20180705163909_1.jpg (1920x1080, 387K)

>I had mastered Orbiter Sim by the age of 14
Impressive, this guy was orbiting at a pro level years before /r9k/.

Im gonna be rocking those badboys.
virpil-controls.eu/

Attached: MT50CM_Throttle04.png (1200x715, 678K)

But when will the superior MS sim game series come back?

Attached: Steelbat.jpg (3264x2448, 666K)

Delicious flat earth

Based schizo poster

Macross/Gundam VR Simulator when?

Some add-ons actually worked like google maps in that they covered the mesh with aerial photos. The results could look really good but usually you had the problem that the sceneries lacked autogen and suffered from inconsistencies with lighting and stuff. Photosceneries also ate memory for breakfast.

In my opinion the land class sceneries looked better and delivered a more consistent experience, while taking up less space on the hard drive, which is why I reckon that MS will use something similar.

English version
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1_pUMwnE0

it did come back, but without that pesky controller getting in the way.

the real question is, when will microsoft get back to work on motion controls?

Until MS2004, the earth was flat, only FSX added curvature to the flight sim

Okay it seems like your game wins, I haven't the slightest clue of chemistry, even though I am actually a mech. engineer student.
>those warning notes in the center
You're gonna have to shrink down those parameters, my dude.

Of course I couldn't understand the theory of it back then but I could fly real good. I remember staring at the manual for several days straight, including that third page I posted, until they made sense for my teenage brain. The first time I managed to autism-microadjust the settings to successfully chart an interplanetary flight and actually carry it through I almost shed a tear.

Attached: 1514931504262.png (269x321, 130K)

brainlet

So how does this work exactly? When you zoom in on the city shots in the trailer it reminds me of the 3D thing on Google maps, you can even see the same visual artefacts.

Will the whole world look as good as in that trailer?

Attached: l.jpg (360x360, 17K)

just purchase your copy so they don't shut it down

stop supporting trannie shit and sjw shit

Attached: 1554506024530.png (319x448, 154K)

>zoom in on the city
do you underestand how planes work faggot
the height they are flying

>hyped for fsx

hi boomer

anime is for trannies.

remember those screenshots comparing DX9 to DX10?
*crack*
now that was a scam
*sip*

futa is

trannies fear the cute and funny chinese cartoons

What is this game called? I looked up CHOADE but found nothing.

children of a dead earth

children of a dead earth

They literally don't

fucking SLAVES GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE

>OMG WTF I CAN'T POST ON Yea Forums WITHOUT A ALWAYS ONLINE CONNECTION BRO WTF
Yes you can.

>WTF I CANT WATCH YOUTUBE WITHOUT AN ALWAYS ONLINE CONNECTION THE JEWS ARE AT IT AGAIN!
Yes you can.

Flight simulators are the progenators of gaming rigs. You spent tons of money upgrading your system for Flight Simulator, not Zork.

>simulator

is this the most autistic genre ever?

They could make an arcade mode just so you can easily explore the world with the aircrafts. Ace Combat like controls would be fine.