Now that all the bickering is over and we know what the actual truth is...

Now that all the bickering is over and we know what the actual truth is, I have to say I really must respect the true Dragon Quest fans I've been seeing on Yea Forums. There were a lot of bandwagoners who had never heard of the series before and probably only cared because it looks like DBZ, but in the midst of all that mess you can see some people who truly love the series and are genuinely happy it's in.

And those people have been nothing but civil about it. They're not gloating at all, they're just happy for the chance to introduce a series they love to a wider audience. They've been going around the board all day, answering people's questions, giving recommendations of which games to start with, even helping them acquire the games. Those people are the true heroes this day, and for that I must thank them.

Attached: 607px-Hero.png (607x600, 257K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dragon-quest.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_Monsters:_Terry's_Wonderland_3D
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/562758-dragon-quest-monsters-12-hoshiori-no-yuusha-to-bokujou-no
youtube.com/watch?v=ANB1TBs6RRA
sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/
youtu.be/G3KETAaaSCg
youtu.be/kkZu8xj3lvs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks. Really glad VIII made it in, would have prefered V but I guess making him a swordie would have been a waste.

Attached: 1560311819906m.jpg (1024x1012, 62K)

Fire Emblem used to be a literally-who title in the US and only gained traction due to the marketing and increased exposure due to Melee. I would not be very surprised if Dragon Quest also gets the same type of boost.

I feel like I'm alone because I love DQ, however I'm not terribly excited about this. The last thing Smash needed was another goddamn anime swordsman.

Smash needs another anime swordsman imo, add Kirito.

Fake fans deserve shit

Attached: 1555532305383.png (1049x81, 16K)

You have NO idea how much I am happy about the final smash acknowledging everyone
EVEN IX
FUCKING IX
My first DQ

If you love DQ so much shouldn't it be pretty obvious to you that his moveset heavily features magic which makes him pretty different from all the other sword users?

DQ is such absolute fucking nothingness that people can't even bring themselves to hate it. Trust me; if Banjo hadn't saved your asses, every thread today would be condemning you.

>tfw was expecting the Luminary
>we got fucking Erdrick, Solo, Eight and the Luminary
>and all the others for the Final smash
Oh man I can't wait.

Isn't IX really fucking popular though? It's probably the most popular dragon quest game in the west next to 8 and 11

All reality, it was pretty obvious that DQ would get a spot in retrospect.

SE, being stingy as fuck as they are, probably wanted Cloud locked behind Day 1 DLC or some shit for more profit, so Sakurai had to come up with a better deal - get the DQ characters in the Season Pass for Cloud to be allowed into the base game. That way, they could have their cake and eat it, too.

Attached: erdrick.png (444x695, 59K)

Yeah, unlike B*njo fags.

The smash reveal boosted DQ11's sales by at least 3 units
Can SE localize DQ10 now?

People only hate the hero because he's YET another anime swordman. DQfags have actually been asking for a playable slime instead because of that

DQ deserved to be in smash while banjo deserved to be in since fucking smash 64

>and are genuinely happy it's in.
It's always funny seeing idiots like yourself trying to get on your high horse claiming you're a "true fan".

Morons like you are happier "he's in" Smash than you would be with a new game. You haven't played a single DQ game.

I've only played XI, which should I move onto next? Was thinking of picking up VIII on the 3DS.

I'm sick of DQ fags acting like its some super-unknown series.
It's not.
Just because devs/publishers never thought it was worth translating this shit doesn't mean that anyone who has ever used an emulator hasn't tried a fan translation.
In fact, DQ came back quite notably with VIII which had a ton of promotion for the PS2 and subsequent games have been advertised as fuck since they were on the DS, you know, the thing that fucking printed money.
How young is this board now?

I'm so stoked about it. I'd have been happy with Luminary and Loto but to get fucking Solo in here is unreal. Reminds me of the Castlevania reveal where Richter just popped in out of fucking nowhere, it feels like a love letter to the series.

Also his movesets a way more interesting version of Robin's that actually looks fun to play so I probably have a new main. I always liked the premise of a spellsword but holy shit I hated the durability and charge mechanic. Framing Hero's gimmick as a JRPG menu is cute too.

>The last thing Smash needed was another goddamn anime swordsma
As opposed to who, exactly? You retards never say that.

I'd recommend III, IV, V, VII, and VIII. III, V and VIII are considered the best ones.

4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 are the must plays
7 is also on the 3DS
4 and 5 are on the NDS, but the mobile port of 4 is actually better since it contains extra party text

Not him but I suppose they would say something like Doomguy.

I I know
>reaction videos
But it really feels like I'm the only person on earth who has played dragon quest

>yet another character with a gun
Yawn.

I'm happy that the series mitreeght finally get some attention in the west.

What kind of world do you live in where the only duality is between things that are swords and things that aren't swords?

I'm actually glad we didn't get a Slime because it would have only been one character whereas Hero is four characters. Alt costumes that straight up add separate characters to the game are awesome. Plus Slime seems to be in anyway.

Except it's pretty niche outside of Japan. Youtubers think it's Fire Emblem and Leddit is whining about how it's not mainstream. Come to think of it, Smash has this issue pretty bad.
>no one can recognize DIE MONSTER, YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD
>people thought Banjo's reveal was a Kong and didn't get the K.Rool and DK connection
>people confused why Isabelle's trailer had her doing officework

Explain. To me what's wrong with a sword?

better 6th guy with a gun than 20th guy with a sword

I have zero experience with the series and think they're just a cool character I'm very interested in seeing more of. Do I trigger you, OP?

The world where you retards complain about yet another swordsman when wanting characters that are just the same as others.

And the 20th guy with a sword is still not as bad as the 50th guy that punches and kicks.

Anime spearman, anime axeman, some villain with powers instead etc.etc.

Seeing all of this has peaked my intrest in the series. Which one should I start off with, given that I might consider getting XI S if I do like the franchise?

8 is also on the 3DS, it comes with Red and Morrie as playable characters, no random encounters, some QOL fixes, and extra story content and dungeons.

The hardcore Smash fandom is a fucking bubble that pays no attention to most games outside of Nintendo's first party circle.

I don't think Dragon Quest is even obscure in the west by any means, it's not a million copy seller but its got a healthy enough online fandom. But you might as well be speaking another language when mentioning it to most Smash players.

It's probably why the characters who gain the most traction are the ones with a lot of memes, like Geno and Ridley. Because then they're a part of Smash culture so they have something to latch onto because most rosterfags don't actually play their videogames.

A ton of the Smash crowd just does not seem to actually play any video games outside of Smash, which is weird since it's a video game that relies so heavily on knowing other video games. I have no idea what the fuck they do with their time.

Man it is not like there is a shortage of DQ games being released. This is not some series like Banjo where people are desperate to get a new entry. There is constantly a new Dragon Quest game being advertised at any given moment, in this case Builders 2.

Nothing inherently, but in a game where even non-weapons can be used for attacks, it's kind of boring to have that many swords.

III, V and VIII are all good starting points depending on what era of JRPG you're looking for.

THIS. WE NEED MORE FIST PEOPLE!!!1111

I'm really excited for this due to the implementation with the different unique spells. I was really worried after Joker was handled in a fairly underwhelming way, not using his ability to switch Persona, but it seems like that was done because the ability to change specials was already planned for Hero.

I'm mostly sad that none of my favorite DQ heroes are playable but it's still cool. I'm glad the Switch version of XI will have the 3DS stuff in.

>it's kind of boring to have that many swords.
Why?

Stop this meme, Ike’s games failed in spite of smash exposure and FE only survived based on Awakening reviving interest in the series.

Then why not attack the martial fighters? There are way more than swordmasters.

I'm really shocked Solo made it in. Not that I'm upset about it. Just would have expected literally any other DQ protag. But hey I can't complain. Like Eight getting in for me was fucking great. I've never played DQ3 but Goha-Erdrick looks cool as fuck.

I'm planning to check out DQIV soon because it looks like the coolest one and I was wondering, is the girl called Solo too or does she have her own default name? Solo is a cool name but it doesn't sound much like a girl's name.

I was disappointed too but then I realized V isn't in because he's technically not a hero, his son is.

Because there's several different weapon types.

Sofia is the default name of the female hero in IV.

because you can only slash with a sword in a platform fighter in so many ways before it gets boring

thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll start off with VIII since it's on sale.

Attached: 1555443847_preview_ezgif-4-6f7bf474f1bd.gif (400x225, 1.99M)

Yeah man punch left punch right is much more diverse.

ok now back to reddlt/smash

Fuck that reminds me. Are Sofia and Fem Erdrick in? Sakura's usually good for that but it might be hard with the sheer amount of models to make.

Attached: tumblr_pfsb1bhZFZ1rksymco1_400.png (400x440, 98K)

Why is Modern Alena lose her stocking?

Attached: alena.jpg (189x267, 11K)

Real fans only wanted IX protag

Seems pretty self explanatory why a lack of variety is boring.
There's hundreds of different weapons in the world to choose from and they still pick a generic anime sword guy.
Even legit historic troops have more character diversity.

First off, if Ike's games failed, how come Path of Radiance is one of the only games in the series with a direct sequel? Second, if your goalpost is moved to only Radiant Dawn failing then that's likely more of a problem with Radiant Dawn, an outlier in terms of benefiting from Smash exposure.

I bought XI as my first dragonquest and it was pretty cool. But now the superior switch version is coming out it's left a bad taste in my mouth and i don't feel like doing the post game or getting into the others.

Nope, no female heroes. They didn't even include any in the final smash with all the heroes.

because soulless

Why does he look like Trunks with brown hair?

Nah, they each have one recolor referencing some other DQ character.
Luminary's is Angelo, Erdrick's is Madason, Solo's is DQ1 Hero, Eight's is Terry.

Thanks, I didn't want to look it up in case I accidentally saw a spoiler or something. It's happened before.

Attached: 20190612_112746.jpg (1080x1033, 553K)

>punch left
>punch right
>uppercut
>overhand
>left hook
>punch on the top of the head
>roundhouse kick
>dropkick
>stomp
>kick in the balls
>i can't be arsed to continue typing all this shit

vs

>slash overhead :)
>thrust da sord xDDD
>slash overhead but backword :D

>Erdrick's is Madason
WHERE CAN I SEE THIS?

But it doesnt

Ike’s games were written with a sequel in mind regardless of how the games actually did, PoR has a lot of foreshadowing and loose ends, and while PoR sold poorly Ike himself was a popular lord.

I don't care about DQ at all, but this is a good thread.

All i read is "punch left" "punch right" "punch up" "kick".

As a Sorafag im sad that they went with DQ over KH but at least he looks fun, I like the MP and RPG ability system

Also Since Disney owns KH maybe if they want a DLC character Sora is the natural pick which gets around the 1 char per company in DLC pattern

I dont see why everyone is so focused on the weapon that's like saying Mario little mac captain falcon and ryu are generic because they punch

Because fists are everyone's default weapons and swords are very specific.

>Spinning slash
>Riposte
>Overhead slash
>Stab
>Stab them in the eyes
>Reverse grip slash
>Half sword
>Can’t be assed to type more

:^)))

Right? I am so glad DQ got the series wide treatment instead of just representing DQ11 or something.

It's all on his page on the website.

Attached: D80ILGVUwAE9fSm.jpg large.jpg (2048x2023, 236K)

Looks like I'm playing as Erdrick

>First off, if Ike's games failed, how come Path of Radiance is one of the only games in the series with a direct sequel?
Because IS is really dumb at times. Back then they generally did two games in a setting with the same engine before moving on (Sacred Stones was an exception due to being the third game in the same engine already). In Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn they also dropped fan favorite features like romantic supports in PoR and supports altogether in RD, so they clearly were just creating what they wanted to make rather than worrying about sales.

Anyway, we know that they failed because in more recent years sales they've revealed that for a while after PoR's and RD's sales they thought SRPGs had no future on consoles and the only way to make FE sell would be to turn it into a standard RPG and gave info about that project that eventually ended up sidelined for the DS remakes and dropped in favor of Awakening.

Attached: Wii FE 01.jpg (656x985, 230K)

There's already like 7-8 anime swordsmen. Theres only so many moves you can have with a sword based character.

And none of them care about smash

>they also dropped fan favorite features like romantic supports in PoR and supports altogether in RD, so they clearly were just creating what they wanted to make rather than worrying about sales
Nah actually, they just ran out of time. The framework for the support system is still in RD's files if you datamine the game, right down to who can support who. Check out some of the lists:
>Ike x: Kurthnaga, Ranulf, Micaiah, Mist, Nasir, Nailah, Oscar, Lethe, Reyson, Soren, Sothe, Titania, Tibarn, Volke, Mia, Zihark
>Micaiah x: Naesala, Nailah, Nolan, Volug, Rafiel, Soren, Skrimir, Stefan, Sothe, Tauroneo, Tormod
>Elincia x: Geoffrey, Ike, Kieran, Ranulf, Leanne, Renning, Lucia, Marcia, Mist, Nephnee, Nailah, Pelleas, Sanaki, Tibarn, Bastian

There are lots of different types of swords. Smash doesn't have anyone with a katana yet.

The way banjo swings kazooie is functionally identical to a sword but this is okay, why?

Man, this was really worth the bullshit. It has been so long since I felt so happy watching a trailer.
My whole wishlist was there. Classic RPG menu system, a Bowser junior type deal and a MegaMan-style final smash.
Sakurai even pulled one on me by starting with Luminary and just showing standard stuff before going full based.

>Because fists are everyone's default weapons
Doesn't that make it even worse?

You know what the game really needed? 4 more swordsmen

What is it with the obsessive part of the Smash community and dictating what you are allowed to like and dislike? You are expected to love Animal Crossing because it sold 10 million. You are expected to hate Fire Emblem because it took too many slots. You are expected to ignore Dragon Quest because it's not popular in the West.

Do these people even play games outside of Smash?

Yeah add lloyd Zeke 2B and Zero

Really glad that I'll be able to play as Guv'!

Attached: Oy m8 dats the fookin Guv.jpg (250x373, 19K)

>Lloyd
Close, user, close.
Luke von Fabre blames everyone for his problems!

Wait until you see his alt color.

>Do these people even play games outside of Smash?
No just look at any reaction video

The way 50% of Smash characters work is functionally identical to the mii fighters. Why not remove the character designs altogether and have everyone be a mii?

I'm so glad Guv has his bro with him, I wonder if it gets a cute taunt or if all the Heroes share taunts.

Tbh I would prefer Emil

>tfw Samus is just worst mii gunner

Attached: 1547287360467.png (480x480, 283K)

Oh god the fallout would be glorious.

I do agree the roster needs to be smaller there's gonna be overlap when you have 70+ characters

Screw a wider audience, I want a Dragon Warrior Monsters remake before I die of old age.

Since they're not in the Final Smash at all, it seems possible that they could do a "Heroine" echo that has them. I mean, I don't think it's LIKELY, mind you, but until they're deconfirmed it's certainly POSSIBLE. Hell, I'd pay for it.

It's not happening give up

The only thing I'm angry about is DQ Hero Dash attack is just like Links. But the spell system is kino as fuck, Snooze is gonna get hella nerf after it comes out

Attached: 1560281004513.png (390x291, 271K)

I think the main issue is that there would be more dubs to do and Luminary/ Guv' don't have female equivalents.

Oh man, do I have some news for you...
dragon-quest.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_Monsters:_Terry's_Wonderland_3D

No, because apart from little mac or whatever, fists aren't there defining feature.
Kirby punches, but if the first thing that pops into your mind when thinking of Kirby is how he punches then I'd say that would be strange.
While a sword in Smash is often the defining feature of the character that wields it.

Salesfagging is just an ex-post facto reason people came up with to whine about FE characters because they’re noobstompers and popular.

I think in this hypothetical they'd probably just do Sofia and Girldrick with four colors each. It would be an echo so it would make sense they'd do less work in that regard too.

I don't get Smash but it's really unbelievable how westerners can overlook icons like these.

blue, red, silver etc. are different slimes, racist

They made that. Terrys Wonderland 3D. It even has a fan translation.

You know what this got me thinking there's to many characters that throw out random punches and kicks,for example kirby should have more copy abilities from the games

>JP only
naw fuck off with that 3D shit, I want an actual remake, 2d, top-down. That shit is ideal.

Pokemon and DQ never should have gone to this cartoony 3D bullshit.

Oh, well I guess you're fucked then.

Just kidding. It had a PS1 remake as well.
gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/562758-dragon-quest-monsters-12-hoshiori-no-yuusha-to-bokujou-no

Too bad for you, it's untranslated. How unlucky, the game you wanted remade has actually been remade twice but neither of them are what you want.

DQ fans are usually pretty chill, I disliked that they got dragged into smash rosterfagging just to be a boggie man. The whole conversation around smash DLC has turned to shit, it isn't even fans fighting for characters but a reason to post a million threads a day about this character btfo of this character.

Smashfags didn't realise that Ryu's name being found would most likely refer to Mr Street Fighter. There is some irony in there, insisting it is a fighter yet not thinking of the face of fighting games when they hear Ryu will be added. They really do live in a bubble.

All I want is extreme-yelling, finger-pointing man. Do we have that yet? Is it so much to want that over another sword user?

>Theres only so many moves you can have with a sword based character.
That isn't true. Games like Soul Calibur or Samurai Shodown have many sword users with unique movesets. Granblue Versus seems to be following a similar path. Swords are not limiting at all, the issue you are looking at is an archetype not the weapon. FE characters have tended to be clones or semi clones, so now smash players just get autistic about any sword.

God, that's so stupid. How few games do they even play? I can immediately think of 3 Ryus when I think of games, Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden and Breath of Fire.

>FE characters have tended to be clones or semi clones, so now smash players just get autistic about any sword.
This, link and metaknight are nothing a like

Swords have nothing to do with the roster picks, I don't know why people keep obsessing over the swords.

Nexzt Smash game should just rework all the Marth clones into Marth costumes like DQ Hero, the small differences between them don't matter.

Only Ike, Marth, and Roy are really defined by their swords and they differentiate themselves by style. Corrin, Robin, Links all have other features.

The DQ IX and X heroes also have female counterparts so they could fill the four slots if they wanted. I doubt it's happening though. Group shots of the heroes often just ignore the female variations for the ones that have them.

I'm happy the DQ protag made it in even though i've never played a DQ in my life outside of the weird mario crossover shit, and I won't pretend I have.

What are the better games in the series because this gives me a decent excuse to start.

Yeah but the MC of the game hardly get any loves due to the fact you can customize your own character in the game. The game is popular but the characters are not. I am genuinely happy for him to be there in the final smash though

>Swords have nothing to do with the roster picks
Never said it did. Only that I would prefer something different.

It's because they were going by Sakurai's old statement about how adding fighting game characters wouldn't be interesting. People generally sticked by his statements like hard rules.

III, V and VIII, and then XI when it comes to Switch. You can also try VII and IX as well. Beware that VII is like a bajillion hours long.

DQ III is a lot like FF I/III while DQ V and VIII are a lot more like FF IV/VI.

Sure, but you realize that this would still result in Corrin, Ike, and Robin being their own characters because they are completely different characters.

I agree with that, I guess it's more of an awkward situation with swords being the most common weapon type.

But Marth clones don't take up roster slots, and nothing can be done with Ike and Corrin because they are different classes entirely (Lord/ Great Lord vs Ranger/Hero and Nohrian Noble)

Sure, my problem is less with the amount of FE characters but that individual characters only represent one game rather than their own series. Like Mario represents the Mario franchise, Link represents the Zelda franchise, but Corrin only represents Fates, he doesn't appear in any other game. Sakurai did good by picking the Hero class itself rather than a specific character since this way it represents the whole franchise rather than a specific game. You can kinda do this with Marth since the Lord class represents the whole franchise.

Next smash should just drop lucina chrom and Roy desu

I'd wish for the DQV Hero to have alt skin like the rest but I understand that the staff probably wouldn't translate too well over a sword.

Attached: Bianca_Hero_and_Saber.png (731x900, 1.14M)

Fire Emblem didn't take off until Awakening and was on the brink of cancellation immediately before that despite being prominent in two Smash games at that point.

Ike is still way too close to Marth overall. He has different animations and a big differentiating factor in his speed and power, but it's clear he still was designed with Marth as a basis (Counter, Chargeable short range B attack, generally kind of similar normal attacks, like Smash A being an overheard swing, just changing from one to two hands).

>Ike is still way too close to Marth overall
WRONG

Ike can be given his own alts. Ogma would be a good one for sure.

He can wield a sword in-game though and is often shown with one in promo material for the upcoming movie.

It's kind of odd since Sakurai had no issue giving Luminary a shield even though he's generally marketed with just a sword, so they could have included him without his default weapon (the staff could be carried on his side or something just to have it on his design even if he isn't wielding it). I wouldn't be surprised if DQIV is just Sakurai's favorite and that's why he made it over V.

DQ is considered obscured?

There's a purple alt, we got some screen yesterday

Well smash fags dont actually play games

Well regardless of whether we get a DQ echo I hope we do get a couple echoes of something to pad out the roster because I saw a mockup of what the character screen will look like and there's still all this empty space. Room for at least two more characters. The stage select of course is completely full up so it would make sense for them to be characters that don't come with stages, like echoes.

Honestly I feel that Madason being playable would sort of ruin things thematically. Madason's whole theme is that he's literally just some normal guy that proceeds to save the world while his children are the ones that do the job of the "chosen hero".

They didn't put him in because the character is called "Hero".

Attached: 1542110559194.jpg (359x391, 71K)

Wait, there's an upcoming Dragon Quest movie?

It's a DQ V-ish movie with a very Western art style.

Is it successful here in the West?

youtube.com/watch?v=ANB1TBs6RRA

CG movie. It doesn't use Toriyama's art style either.

Cope

OHNONONONONONONONONO IMAGINE THINKING YOU WERE THE HERO BUT ITS ACTUALLY YOUR WIFE'S SON HAHAHAHAHA

Looks pretty good actually.

I dunno

I doubt this DLC will lead to more DQ popularity outside Japan. Those games are so nostalgia focused for early DQ games that few outside Japan have played

Cloud DLC will encourage kids to try VII though.

Some games have sold one million in the West, but that's it, and others failed to reach that. Still, most Megaman games also fail to sell one million so the way Dragon Quest is perceived as this series no one knows is kind of odd.

>Your Wife's son
Every goddamn time.

If Advent Children and Crisis Core couldn't do that, I doubt Smash would.

I meant get kids interested in VII remake

Does DQ in Smash mean there might be enough renewed interest to get Dragon Quest Walk released in the west?

Attached: dqw_190610wj_01.fcd7c153134.original.jpg (639x1213, 143K)

I worry that the VII remake will end up turning Cloud into the angsty character everyone seems to think he is but that he is not in the original game.

>Theres only so many moves you can have with a sword based character.
Just like punches and kicks, and the game shows that plenty.

No people will just say they copied pokemon

Hang on, what the heck did people think Ryu meant if not Ryu from Street Fighter? What else could it possibly have referred to?

Didn't stop them from localizing Builders which is definitely a copy of Minecraft.

>While a sword in Smash is often the defining feature of the character that wields it.
Outside Marth clones, Ike and Meta Knight, yeah no. Links have a huge item pool. Robin has magic books. Corrin transforms and has a chainsaw, lances, wings, etc. Hero also has plenty of unique spells and a shield. Etc.

Sakurai's favorite is 3.

According to what source?eeeer

This . People always cry for this and that character, but whenever the reveal happens they never seem to even recognize stuff like jiggys, fucking DQ music and other stuff.

It really feels like people actually never played those games but still want the character because some youtuber or streamer told them about it.

Can't really complain about the inclusion once they revealed all the protags and spell menu, I can see good fanservice is plenty for an old series with high credit.
I mean, I have no quarrels with DQ since I've only played Rocket Slime and seen trivia via Fortune Street so once Brave was leaked it was fine, already had my JRPG character with Shulk if Isaac/Felix wasn't going to make in instead.

Looks much more fun than Joker have to say and depending on how MP works, either replenish by items of slowly over time he could be really fun to use.

It's crazy how alone I felt when I saw the reveal for DQ Hero, all the e celebs said they were disappointed or everyone on Yea Forums said "it's just another animoo swordfighter" but god i played Dragon quest since it arrived in europe and I have yet to play the others I haven't done yet, like 4 or 6, (5 was my favorite).
A lot of people are bitching about them even though they still got banjo which is crazy to me
i'm still happy.

sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/

God I fucking hate that Trunks hair. He looks like a metrosexual 1990s faggot. I'd take generic spiky anime hair over that Trunks hair anyway.

>A lot of people are bitching about them even though they still got banjo which is crazy to me
They probably think it's one less slot for some other highly demanded character from a game they never played.

youtu.be/G3KETAaaSCg

Well good news for you then since Erdrick is an alt and he has all the spiky hair you could ever want.

Attached: 1542501874193.png (512x724, 335K)

Zoomer here, my first DQ was IX back when it came out and they marketed the shit out of it here in the UK. I'm not a big JRPG guy but I loved the character creation/gear customisation/class system. How well is IX regarded among fans? I'd love another DQ game with the same level of customisation, do you think we'll ever get one again? I'm halfway through playing III since I know that's where IX got it's roots.

The absolute craziest to me was how few people recognized Bombing Mission. Fuck, I used to think that FF VII bandwagoners was a meme but all of them didn't recognize one of FF VII's most iconic moments.

IX is bretty gud, lots of people like it. If we ever get a 3D remake of III it would probably have full on party and character creation.

>Felix
My man. I felt like I was the only one hoping for not just Isaac but also Felix. The echoes gave me hope that it was actually possible. Alas.

That said, Banjo's inclusion seems to indicate they're still listening to fan demand with the roster choices so who knows, it's not impossible that they'll still put Isaac in despite him having an AT. Or maybe some weird mode that lets you play as Assist Trophies.

>Or maybe some weird mode that lets you play as Assist Trophies.
I really thought that was gonna be a thing since you could hit them and ones like alucard practically already have 4 b moves

Story was a bit lacking since the characters were all custom but otherwise pretty solid.

Was she too hot for Smash?

Attached: 4241.jpg (565x800, 101K)

yes
it's unfair bros

Attached: c92.jpg (750x1500, 162K)

Even if she did make it in I do kind of doubt that her legs would have made it through unscathed, considering what happened to Corrin.

Try fantasy life. Not DQ but same devs as 9

What did people think it was supposed to be?

Most people said it was either Metroid or Star Fox.

I would love to have her in, but I'm glad she's not.

I feel like certain people (like Etika) would only be excited for the character because she is a "Waifu and not because of the fact that she is from Dragon Quest.

Attached: 554dbb990373b57ff27cd986f7ab752d.jpg (640x720, 80K)

Maybe just a little.

Attached: gbk.jpg (800x1113, 255K)

L I T E R A L L Y
W H O

I am gonna do this when Doomguy gets announced, just to piss people off.

You have the Internet.

It'd be funnier if you keep calling him Master Chief.

>I'm excited that they put Chief in but I've never seen this armor design before, is it from the books?

I'm a recent convert, my only experience with DQ before like 2 weeks ago was the Monsters games on GBC and the first 6 or so hours of 8 a decade ago. 2 weeks ago or so I made a topic about which versions of each game to play after finishing the first DQ and it was a lovely and supportive discussion. Keep up the good work everyone

Nice, which ones have you played so far and which ones are next? Don't forget to try out the kino spin-offs like Rocket Slime (DS) and Builders 1 and 2 which are on Switch.

because Toriyama literally can only draw dragonball characters

DQ looks so trash, maybe if the series gets a passable art style, then I will give it a chance. It just looks so ugly.

So he’s another Robin. Did anyone really want another robin?

Cringe opinion

Attached: 1560311168546.jpg (7680x4320, 3.7M)

>it’s ok that this generic boring character was added because you can now be 4 equally generic characters

Lol

Fuck mascots. Same with the idiot MHfags that would rather have the dumbass cats over a hunter.

This. I would have preferred 5 over 4, but in the end I got my boy 8 so I'm cool with it.

Cope

Attached: FA3CF707-B3C0-473C-8F70-4B79BF72829A.jpg (1024x576, 93K)

Well it's the MC of dragon quest XI, one of the most beloved jrpg franchise.
I'm more curious about the bear though, I've never seen his game, Who is he?

I still need to play DQ11. Gonna main the 4 Hero though, always thought he looked the coolest. 3's cool but I prefer his shota version

>another shield and sword dude with a tunic&cape
No wonder Isaac wasn’t added

I'm glad 11 is the face of that character, I really don't give a fuck about the other alts.

Yeah, sometimes you have to cut your losses to accept a greater good. The greater good being that not having a cute girl for people to "waifu" as the face of the series means they have to genuinely be interested in playing it, not just looking for fapbait.

Attached: 1537403552517.jpg (433x650, 59K)

How could he be? Smash 64 was made based on snes games link was the only one who had his design based on a 64 game

Melee was when the characters were all based on 64 ips it’s been a trend for Sakurai to do that

I get what they're doing there but I really don't like the contrast between normal adventurer clothes and overly elaborate JRPG weapons and shields

I'm just happy I know these characters. People bitch about sword users but honestly I don't give a damn about Fire Emblem or Xenoblade, so it's nice to see a game I actually played

Attached: ceb.gif (500x500, 89K)

I kinda wish DQ9's hero was a playable alt but it's nice to see he's at least there in the final smash animation

Attached: Erinn.png (800x500, 18K)

He's a little too on the manlet side

Not as bad as poor 7. Nigga has to jump to meet his sword with the others in the Final Smash

I'm happy with it, not because I'm a huge DQ fan, but I've always had massive respect for the series as it pioneered jrpgs. The Heroes reveal for Smash actually got me finally playing DQXI, and I'm loving it so far. Such a comfly game.

No bully!

I know they wouldn't give each hero a unique moveset, but seeing him with some angelic themed attacks or some music themed shit would be cool as fuck

Attached: Erinn DQIX.jpg (1738x1305, 287K)

The Final Smash does make me disappointed, would've loved if the Celestrian was a skin.

Disjoints are annoying

Hello everybody, please play Dragon Quest 3, it is my favorite and the best dragon quest.

Attached: 1339954390313.png (482x484, 117K)

honestly your right lol

But the DQ9 protagonist isn't a Hero, he's a Minstrel.

Attached: 1510781725075.png (490x380, 116K)

Nobody wants to remember DQ 9, user.

It's the only one I haven't finished yet because I ran into a game-breaking bug due to a bad patch of the fan translation

Attached: 1543732176049.jpg (900x900, 78K)

Isn't 7 like fifteen? I think he's the youngest DQ protagonist. Putting aside the fact he was concieved centuries ago and time travelled as a foetus to a future womb.

>tfw only DQ games I've ever played was Rocket Slime and Monsters: Joker

Attached: boomer2.jpg (563x511, 36K)

So far I've finished 1 (Mobile) and 2 (SNES) and I'm working my way through 3 (GBC), just got to the desert town that turns into a dance theater at night. I loved 1 and 2 despite their obvious age and 3 feels like taking training weights off, it's very refreshing to not have to keep reminding myself 'yeah this part is kind of shitty but the game is like 30 years old' like I constantly had to do with 2.

2 had some moments of genuinely compelling environmental storytelling though, especially for its age. The looted chests in Moonbrooke, the world map theme changing back to the melancholy solo tune during the quest to save Cannack with the Yggdrasil Leaf, the fake Midenhall right before the final boss, I loved all of it. I even enjoyed Dragonlord's son mostly keeping to himself in a far corner of the world.

I'm definitely gonna try the demo for Builders 2, that ones one of the things I was most interested in from the Square conference especially seeing how heavily influenced it is by DQ2. I'm planning on going in order on the numbered games as well though I might jump ahead to 11 when it hits Switch

One who... saved the world and shit
heroic

I do okay

Attached: concerned sheep.png (254x209, 91K)

>Think that makes you a boomer.
Fuck off, faggot.

He's 16, I think he's shorter than Maribel who's the same age

>play DQ9 on the DS even though everyone said it wasn't that good
>it was really fun
>DQ8 on the 3DS
>just fantastic all around
>want to pick up DQ11
>Switch version has extra content not coming to the others
>no Switch
Welp
What should I play now?

Attached: 1502287008351_0.png (376x438, 265K)

V on DS

Dragon Quest 3 on GBC
Dragon Quest 5 on DS
Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and 2 on the GBC.

>I wanna play DQ which one do I start with?
Number fucking 1. It's short, inoffensive, simple and you can play it on your phone. I'd tell you to skip it, but playing it is a requirement to understand the main twist of DQ3.
DQ2 can be skipped somewhat safely, it does introduce a lot of mechanics and setpieces that would become mainstays in DQ games, but it doesn't realise those things particularly well. The game feels a bit bloated, like they ran out of content halfway through development and still wanted to make the game longer. Also it requires some hard fucking grinding closer to the end. It's also relatively disconnected from the plot of the Erdrick trilogy, being the latest in the timeline. So just skip it unless you're looking for a history lesson rather than a fun vidya experience.
DQ3 is a shining jewel and a massive leap forward for the series, PLAY IT.
There's only one problem with it - the version choice. The choice is between the mobile version and the fan-translated SNES remake (because the remake was never officially released in the west). Mobile version features a good localisation (arguably), an option of auto-combat and it highlights items hidden in the cities and dungeons with little sparkles. The remake has animated monster sprites, a somewhat fun boardgame style minigame, you HAVE to class switch into a thief at some point just to learn a spell that helps you find aforementioned hidden items, and the fan translation is janky as fuck, a fact that will probably impact you if you're trying to beat the game without walkthroughs.
It's a shame that we don't have the "definitive" version of the best DQ out there, but that's how it is, make your choice. Or just play both versions, I did that.
After 3 just play them all in order, they're all great to good, with part 6 being the lowest point of the series past part 2 (still decent, but you'll learn to fucking hate the game if you try to get deep into the modified class switching system).

Attached: 1540138728147.jpg (773x994, 221K)

2 has so. Much. Fucking. Sailing. It seems like there's no efficient path between destinations and every major objective sends you the maximum distance possible to the next location

What's wrong with 3 GBC compared to mobile or SNES? I'm playing that one as I've heard lots of good things, and the walk speed feels wonderful

Just play 3 on the GBC, the best version of the game.

GBC 3 has worse graphics (though honestly it's closer to the Famicom original), two new classes, an extra bonus dungeon and monster medals, which are a huge time consuming anti-fun RNG feature. SFC 3 looks and plays better, but has slightly less content (only slightly, it added the first bonus dungeon and Monster Game boards).

Ike's games failed because Treehouse can't translate for shit

Awesome, enjoy. All this talk makes me want to go replay III.

Imagine complaining about more content.

I actually like the graphics a lot, the GBC-exclusive games tend to have color palettes that really appeal to me. Magi Nation and Mega Man Xtreme 2 were the same way

How good is the first DQ on Android?
It looks really convenient but I'm always wary of mobile ports

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNN
Specially now that pokemon died I need DQM more than ever

Attached: KUTEd.png (815x396, 405K)

DQ3's class models always make me laugh.
>warrior
>ugly man or amazon babe
>priest
>fat ugly man or beautiful woman
>wizard
>old man or cute girl

I fucking hate Square so much for not giving us Joker 3, The remakes of 1 and 2, and we probably aren't getting this new game either.
Dragon Warriors Monster 1 is one of my all time favorite games.

It literally doesn't help that picking a female is objectively better than picking a man as well.

Well the male Sage is a bishonen

Im optimistic I think nintendo will publish this new one outside Japan

>Gadabout
>Fat clown or bunny girl

Monster medals suck. It's all the RNG bullshit of monster recruitment in V, increased by a factor of three and minus the actual fun part of monster recruitment. Everything else in the GBC version is great.

All of them have fan translations you know...

Play my game

Attached: 1538300531095.jpg (3536x3536, 644K)

I’m stoked for sure. Gonna play as Terry alt a lot

Will do in September.

I have but I will again. 16 bit undocked is gonna be comfy as fuck and I’m gonna mess with my builds. See how Luminary is with a lance.

I only played 4, if anything the best part of the franchise is the music.

I'm glad smash is getting some tracks from this.

Already did.

Attached: 1531893089206.jpg (1200x675, 118K)

Terry alt is for Patricians good choice user

Attached: terry.jpg (167x301, 10K)

Never played DQ, but I'm happy for fans that were wanting a slot for a pretty damn iconic franchise

not erdrickfags, just fans

Oh XIS will have JP voices worldwide
Thats going to sound really bad with all the rewritten English text

Is Angelo really that popular in Japan to be an alt? Terry's a no brainer, they adore him, but I wasn't aware they liked him that much. He's never been on the box art for starters. Glad he's getting love though.

>father killed in front of your eyes
>being slave for decade
>the guy who slightly responsible for your father's demise marries the nun and never offered you support in your quest
>finally get married
>WHOOPS TURNED INTO STONE FOR YEARS
>kid's already grown up
>search all over the world for your wife
>defeated all the demon god's general
>finally meet your mother, the reason why your father set on his quest in the first place
>WHOOPS SHE'S KILLED IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES again
>defeat the Demon God itself
STILL NOT A HERO

We won. What need is there to cope?

Yeah he is, he is playable in Rivals and all
Torneko is also quite popular

He’s Erdrick’s alt and his main weapon is a staff. Unless you’re talking about in his own game in which case...yeah that’s fucked, his son gets all the prophesy cred

Yeah, he's a protagonist. His son's the Hero :^)

"Hero" in DQ means chosen by the god/goddess has nothing to do with accomplishments

>builder 1

Isn't the point of Builders that the Hero's dead and some Minecraft kid just defeats the Dragonlord anyway?

>You haven't played a single DQ game.
before DQ11 and builders I didn't but I quickly realized I was missing out on something great

like all the rest I figured it was a tired JRPG relic but it has more of a right to be in smash bros than fucking anything from recent vidya

Never played it, what about it, you mean the bad end?
Then it supports my view because it means a hero can turn out to be an asshole in the end

He's the hero alright, just not the legendary chosen one his son is and he doesn't need to be.

He's the Chad silent protagonist this world needs.

Attached: dragon_quest_v_by_vanoxymore.jpg (600x587, 100K)

Yes, that's not the point. I wish to support these games and show Square that I care about those games.

It's kinda sad that it's true.
>Better mobility
>Foward smash is two tiers better
>Same NeutralB/SideB
>Actually, you can upgrade the side B to PK fire if you're willing to learn the combos and Grenade Neutral B is not half bad either.
>Up B can either be a better recovery or a better kill move with about same recovery power
>At least two of the three down B are arguably better.
Only thing samus has over mii gunner is weight and tether grab. I'd argue her Fair is better. All the rest it's either same or worse than Mii gunner. At least, you have a samus mii costume

Attached: 064.jpg (2336x3073, 802K)

You have some of Erdrick's blood, but yes.

He's a hero, not a Hero

"Yuusha" is a concept that doesn't mean exactly "Hero"

Gunner missiles are better
They have way less lag so you can spam them much faster

I do user

>He's the Chad silent protagonist this world needs.
He's one of the few that aren't silent though

It was a good game though

I've only ever played Dragon Quest IX, but I'm excited for the DQ characters in Smash.
I thought all of the people pretending to be Erdrick fans must have really sucked for real DQ fans. I'm excited to play XI on Switch when it comes out.

Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden.

I really wanted #1 to be playable, but I can accept this.

I want it

>the CHAD "Fuck changing the past" Madason
>the VIRGIN "Fuck this timeline" Luminary

He really wanted to fuck her

Attached: 046FE9C3-B3AD-406E-A2AE-E8428DC8B39F.gif (200x260, 3.86M)

>you won't be able to fight while holding a princess in your arms
Shit

Attached: 1537528837879.jpg (644x845, 495K)

>You won't be able to swing the princess around like a weapon

But he did try to change the past. His dad was shocked that he knew he was the king but he didn't believe him when he said he was his son or that he was going to die soon.

Attached: dq1 hero.png (1600x900, 1.8M)

I've never played a DQ game but even I can acknowledge that it 100% deserved a rep. I fucking hate the group of people in the Smash community who only attach themselves to characters because they want to make others mad. It's why so many people hated El Gato Salado del Nepotismo even though on paper it's not really a bad addition. Same thing goes for Steve, though he didn't actually get in.

DEEP
LORE

Should have name drop people from the castle or the fact the legendary sword is inside the cave then.

I don't get it

>You get to create your whole party
>Story is actually not half bad for something mostly built around the non-playable cast
>Job system is fucking god tier and allows party members to master more than one weapon style easily.
>You are rewarded for using alchemy with earlier gear and even exclusive gear and is no longer a chore like it was in DQ8.
>Randomly generated dungeon has challenging bosses that will wreck your shit if you're not prepared
Fuck you user. I liked it and am willing to remember it.

Attached: 1551469636257.jpg (125x70, 2K)

He is silent aside from one part where his future self speaks to him and his past self speaks to him unless you think they all are mutes which just isn't true, most silent protagonists are capable of speech but just aren't shown speaking.

>tfw DQ1 Hero and DQ7 Hero are somehow the same age
>DQ1 Hero is jacked and manly as fuck
>DQ7 Hero looks like a scrawny small boy
Chad vs Virgin

Star Ocean 2 > Dragon Quest.

Fight me.

Dragon Quest 3 is literally a better Dragon Quest 9.
Dragon Quest 9 failed to be a good Dragon Quest 3.

Well, you are after all half mermaid turned human after all.

I just hope they're not too dreadful to play against
Anime Swordsman with Projectiles oblige, they're not gonna be some hot stuff with combos & mixups in your face.
Hope you DQ fans won't get cucked like FF fans did at least, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if you guys get 2 songs, but I do hope it won't happen for your sake. Quick note however to say that the song that played for the Hero's trailer was pretty mediocre.

Is Dragon Quest Heroes II better than the first one? I like musous but DQH1 was a bit too tower defencey for my tastes.

Two-thirds of your total game time being Diablo style dungeon grinding kind of soured it in my memory, I enjoyed the main quest in IX but with other DQ games I just remember the journey, not the majority of it being post-game grind.

Not to mention a lot of the appeal of IX was impossible to enjoy for western players and it's locked behind digital support for the game that no longer exists. If you want to replay IX with all the content available you either have to hack it in or connect to a spare copy of the game of the game which had all DLC downloaded.

>DQ9
>can switch the hero's class to whatever you want
>DQ3
>the hero is locked into being a warrior with some spells
I also prefer DQ3, but DQ9 has some nice things about it. If you wanna see a true failed attempt at redoing the DQ3 systems play DQ6.

Attached: 1538154560583.jpg (1233x760, 635K)

So what was the locale used for the DQ Stage? We saw glimpses of it in Hero's trailer, so i'm sure one of you autismos recognized where it's from

Its 1 turned evil

Also, DQ 9 you don't do anything but turn everyone into an Egg On Machine.

His mother wasn't a mermaid when he was concieved, she was turned into one after he went back to the future. The fact that his dad was a big strapping pirate makes his manlet status even worse.

Wrong

He's just a kid or late bloomer, Maribell is obviously pretty young and they should be around the same age.

Thorough and explanatory rebuttal user. Very in-depth.

No DQ5 protagonist, Shame

Attached: Yuusha yoshihiko (18).jpg (697x396, 63K)

I don't know who these people you are referring to are, but they must be retarded

The man's a staff user and his spell loadout is closer to a cleric that the "hero" class. He deserves his own character slot anyway, the man's too cool and too different to share it with anyone else.

Attached: 1537619199396.jpg (700x600, 242K)

Yeah considering Robin fucking sucks now.

Why did he turn into Kandar?

It sounds like you managed to miss and then completely prove the point that was made.

Wish IX would've been a skin, just for the angle aesthetic

Do any of you guys actually play the game or just get hyped that someone joins in?

Attached: 1496013336900.jpg (949x896, 109K)

>that one granny that probably died before getting to play DQ6

Attached: bruh.jpg (540x472, 54K)

I play DQ games, yeah. They're great. I don't own a switch or plan on buying it though. Still hoping that extra content will one day be ported to the pc version of 11.

Attached: 1535832490558.jpg (850x694, 193K)

ike's games failed because of multiple reasons
>Treehouse translation and voice acting
>First game ran out of print and never got more copies or an EShop release, which automatically made people not care about his second game
The gamecube one was one of the more popular games on rom sites back before nintendo shut most of them down

Of course we do. You should be asking the banjofags about their fake hype. We actually have games to play after all.

>Treehouse translation and voice acting
So... just like Awakening?

Yes I do

I grew up with the Banjo N64 games and still revisit them user

Yesterday was a good day

I prefer to call DQ3 hero Roto

Or Arel if you'd read the mango

> a Bowser junior type deal
I wish the belmonts had these treatment. It would be cool if we could pick others like trevor. Atcually it would fix FE's "problem" too for some people just have marth lucina and chrom be on one slot

>mfw Dragon Quest music in Smash
youtu.be/kkZu8xj3lvs

Attached: 2D7CC7E9-3C4F-466B-8154-3AD9ADA5185B.jpg (750x690, 61K)

All normal battle and final boss musics, all orchestra.

the funny thing will be that the western will be able to hear the orchestrated music in Smash first.

Why are there so many people like you on this board?

Does it bother you people enjoy video games?

The GBA games sold fairly well stateside iirc, but PoR and RD as well as Shadow Dragon flopped hard.

Attached: 1558976217700.jpg (848x1199, 111K)

I can't really call myself a DQ fan because I've only played one game from the series, but that game is 8 and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Seeing Eight playable in the trailer made it went from a 'good for them' feeling to 'wow I am happy' feeling. Even Munchie is in his pocket.

much better than me, I never play the spinoff and finish 2,6 and 9

Attached: 1537623468055.jpg (1024x768, 222K)

I'm fine with the DQ protag getting in along with the amount of fanservice they did. Not that I plan on buying them but they did the character justice. Banjo on the other hand, fuck this bear. I hate this stupid fuck because I don't understand how this thing that was in 2 games 20 years ago has fans. I just want them to show the rest of the pass so I can be happy I only bought Joker since the Fighters Pass would have been a waste for me.

Attached: 15563328945.png (595x885, 887K)

>The rep from 5 isn’t actually the Hero so he’s using a magical staff instead of the HERO’S SWORD like everyone else
Really nice touch

DQH2 is has an actual world map to explore and stuff, but they ramped up the difficulty a lot and made it take a lot longer to level up characters.
The main story is fine, except for some BS fights here and there, but the post game is godawful dogshit that pales in comparison to DQH1's postgame.
It still has some tower defense elements at certain points.

I mean he gets his own speical unique set of armor that's way better than his son's lgendary hero armor. He even gets a pimped out staff.

LOOK IT'S HIM! IT'S ERICK FROM DRAGON BALL!!! HE'S IN SMASH!!!! YEEEEEEESSSS I'M A REAAL FAAAAAANN!!!

Attached: so.jpg (189x267, 21K)

I'm thrilled, Eight was always my favorite as a kid and pretty stocked he got a place as a costume

He's supposed to be 16 or 17, as well as Maribel.
Everyone in DQ7 is just a midget.

One can only hope

Yes.
Isaacfags.

Not Pollock the Giga-Chad.

I mean he was absolutely he main character of 5, I just think it’s cool that they remembered he wasn’t technically the Hero of it and that’s why he doesn’t use a fancy sword

>I would not be very surprised if Dragon Quest also gets the same type of boost.
Dragon Quest 9 sold very well in the west due to a lot of marketing
fucking Seth Green was used to market that game

Actual DQ fags are not the ones asking for Slime, all support for the char will now evaporate because nobody gives a fuck outside of seeing him as some kind of loophole to get DQ in smash without a sword.

Same reason you like Joker who has only been in 2-3 games.

So, has anyone made that cringe compilation of the anti-DQfags who got BTFO'd yet?

>FE7 and 8 were the best selling games before Awakening
>9 and 10 undersold in all regions, partially because of going from handheld to home console
>11 and 12 were underperforming remakes

I wanted Slime because he's the actual franchise mascot and DQ monsters are way more fun and interesting than the Heroes.

Bruh look at this dood

Attached: 375px-DQVII_Borkano.png (375x671, 273K)

I only bought Joker since he had the cool Persona mechanic. Also, he's still getting games and is relatively recent. Banjo only had like 4 games and the most recent one was like 10 years ago and bombed.

>cucked by time travelling foetus
>married to the fattest bitch in the world
>worthless virgin brother slimes his way through life
>doesn't give a fuck and is still has the nattest gains ever

Who the fuck cares if he’s the mascot? A Slime doesn’t embody DQ as a series, it’s a game about swords and magic and surprise the characters from the game in Smash use fucking swords and magic.

So far I think I'll only get DQ. Joker is nice but not all that much a priority, and I share your thoughts in Banjo.

I mean Joker represents all of Persona. Which is a whole ongoing series.

>A Slime doesn’t embody DQ as a series

Yes it does.

>inseperable from the image of the franchise
>literally the first thing you fight in every single game
>first monster design Toriyama ever turned in and informed the visual aesthetic of all subsequent monsters

How would Slime fight?

Jigglypuff echo fighter.

That makes me feel so fucking bad you dont even know how much that takes away from the game for me
Literally the best dad and mom ever in the game but nope they're not your real mom and dad you're not theyre real son even though they gave birth to you, they got cucked by the magic time travelling fetus
Imainge impregnating your wife and having a kid it's still not your own
It's the ultimate cuckening and it just feels so wrong and disrespectful

What do you actually do in dragon quest as a player? You go on adventures killing monsters and become a hero. Slime is a monster from the series and the most prominent one, but he’s not what the series is ABOUT.

>>people thought Banjo's reveal was a Kong and didn't get the K.Rool and DK connection

Who are these people? Zoomers? Banjo came out in 2000 or so and it's 2019 now. Are you finding out these people from Youtube videos? Remember they have a much younger age demographics so chances are they wouldn't know about him.

What gameplay gimmick would Slime even have? And would it be as interesting as Hero having a shitload of specials and MP?

So who's voicing each version of the Hero? I'm assuming Luminary is voiced by Mitsuki Saiga again but the only one I could make out of the other three was that DQ3 hero is voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama solidifying my choice that rooting for Erdrick was the right decision

Attached: 1533742928599.png (528x532, 272K)

>not what the series is about
>actually implying 75% of every game isn't spent killing Metal Slimes

>literally the only person I’ve seen that had a reaction clip to B-K’s trailer who correctly called out K. Rool getting buried Grunty styled was Nario of all fucking people
Most people didn’t even understand what their final smash was

Its just the first enemy in the game.
Its like saying Mario is about Goombas or Zelda is about chuchus.

Summon other monsters as attacks. Drackies, Sabrecats, Golems, that kind of thing. Or just other slime types. Final Smash would be summoning a dozen other slimes, combining into a King Slime and crushing everyone on the stage.

I don't know anything about DQ but they look really fun to play as, also it's really cool seeing Toriyama's art style in Smash Bros. I'm planning on emulating some DQ games now
Anyone else in the same boat?

Attached: 5838953859395839.jpg (590x249, 37K)

I realized it was Banjo as soon as I saw K Rool and DK because the only reason they would be there is because another Rare character is getting in. Then the Jiggy thing hit K rool and I just tabbed out since I had no interest.

>8 has a Terry alt
>Monsters was my first game in the series

Attached: 176.jpg (379x568, 27K)

That doesn't sound too interesting and it'd be unlikely to get implemented to its fullest potential as to not tank framerate.

I bet that a good number of those people complaining about Dragon Quest in Smash are Undertale fans who don't have a clue that if Dragon Quest didn't exist, neither would Mother, which would then mean that Undertale wouldn't exist either.

>fucking frame 1 spike on one of the up specials

>would have prefered V

Attached: 1555283391663.png (482x600, 350K)

Nobody thinks of Chuchus or Moblins when you think of Zelda, you think of Link. You think of Mario first over goombahs, and by the same token the first thing that pops into your head when you think Dragon Quest isn't Goku recolor number 9, it's a slime.

Based.

Explain why Slime should get picked when it would have a boring moveset.

Uh, the protagonist is definitely the first think I think of when I think of Dragon Quest.

I'm pretty happy with Luminary.
However, I cannot but help feeling a a tad bitter at how Banjo's inclusion completely overshadowed his. And all the shitposting he's getting ranging from literally who, no one cares about DQ or hurr another anime swordman durr.
I mean, I'm still happy for sure, and I know I shouldn't let other people ruin things for me. But it sucks one cannot celebrate in peace and there's an unavoidable stink all around where you are celebrating.

Which version is best?

Slime is a special case because he managed to one up everything Dragon Quest could have ever done by virtue of being in a Mario spinoff which still got more attention in the West than the entire DQ series.

Attached: slime.jpg (980x653, 98K)

Depends on your priorities. Either the phone version or the SNES remake with fan translation. There's a long ass post in this thread talking about that in detail.

But what can Slime do to fight?

This isn't true in the least. Mii Gunner has terrible range and even worse frame data than Samus, worse aerial mobility, objectively bad movement options, etc. There's a reason she's considered the worst of the Mii Fighters, and regardless you shouldnt be trying to playing Gunner like Samus and vice versa

Attached: SamusVictoryPos-VideoToMp4.webm (608x352, 2.84M)

>It's literally You Can't Stop the Beat but with Japanese lyrics
it's fun, sure, but why

I don't know, I'm not a DQ fan.
Just that anything that doesn't wield a Sword is automatically better than what does wield a Sword

Which one? Because if you picked one specifically like 4 or 5 or 8 I would respect that. I must say them putting four DQ protagonists in as playable neuters the argument that it isn't emblematic of the series. If they just chose 11 solely I would have actually been pissed instead of just whining about how I would have preferred a slime.

Explain why another swordsman with a boring moveset should get in.Though to be fair Heroes get a spell system to play with, that's head and shoulders above what most of the Fire Emblem cast has to offer.

I rather like Hero's MP gimmick and I am a DQ fan. Fuck off, retard.

First thing that pops into my head when I think about DQ is having a party lead by a generic jrpg hero. I would have came buckets if they narrowed down the scope of this multi-hero project and instead focused on making it just Erdrick with a full team of martial artist, cleric and a mage. Or the 4 dude with Alena, Kiryl and Maya.

Attached: 1537769151654.jpg (1200x1600, 1.13M)

I'm glad you do, I could care less.

>Explain why another swordsman with a boring moveset should get in.Though to be fair Heroes get a spell system to play with, that's head and shoulders above what most of the Fire Emblem cast has to offer.
you just answered your own question lmao
stop being autistic over swords and focus on the gimmick that will define the character's playstyle

It sounds like you don't really care about how the character plays and you're just upset over a sword. Smashfags are retarded.

>Erdrick with a full team of martial artist, cleric and a mage

Given Japan's boner for DQ3 that could have been a possibility.

Isaacfag here
I wanted Isaac INSTEAD of Robin. Next game I fully expect them to just redo the whole cast and cut every other FE character save for Ike, Marth, and Lucina (who will be an alt skin).
Now I just want Camelot to remake GS and Lost Age. I don't even want a new GS game because they'll almost certainly make it even worse than Dark Dawn. It's easy money to target the nostalgic boomer fans.

So each hero has a different pool of spells to use right? That'll be interesting. Can they use skills too, since 8 used Kacrackle Slash (which he couldn't actually used in his game but whatever).

I think they all have the same pool of spells. Gameplay differences means separate slots to Sakurai

Stop being a fucking retard and actually taking this retarded swordman shit seriously. Thats all it is, a fucking meme and a very stupid and bad one at that. There are more characters that punch and kick than use a sword. Not a single "anime swordsman" retard uses their brain however and can see how similar that is and that it doesnt matter.

You see a sword and before your critical thinking skills fire up your monkey see monkey do meme neurons fire up, and you respond to it in a dumb way like a conditioned machine.

>Rocket Slime

Attached: 1559945350177.jpg (240x239, 16K)

I was not here home yesterday.
How bad was the shitposting when the heroes got announced, the in-between, and then when Banjo got announced?

There's only so much you can do with a sword & projectiles, even with MG/Ressource Management. I know i'm already most likely in for a snoozefest. Call me puritan or whatever, but Smash is at its best and most fun with CQC characters like Falcon, Mario & Fox.

>People who thought bayo's reveal was another kid icarus character

The problem is they reuse the hell out of the same sword moves. If swordsmen characters played differently from each other it wouldn't be a fucking meme in the first place.

Just topic after topic of meme faces that saged pretty quickly. The Banjo reveal landing right when there were a dozen NEVER EVER BANJOFAGS posts still up was pretty funny though.

>If swordsmen characters played differently from each other it wouldn't be a fucking meme in the first place.
You know people would still complain. They're all superficial faggots who look at the character and when see the sword they go SWORD BAD.

>If swordsmen characters played differently from each other it wouldn't be a fucking meme in the first place.
But the sword characters that aren't clones do play differently. Autists are too focused on swords and completely ignore the gameplay.

>thinking we'll get more than 2 songs
Don't hold your breath, bros.

I mean it doesn't even have to be 3 necessarily, every DQ game after 2 are about 4 man parties, some pre-made, some not. 4 would be a great choice since your party are actual characters rather than some murderhobos you pick up in a tavern.

Attached: 1537681055202.jpg (800x400, 78K)

Yeah man people complain so much about pic related

Attached: MetaKnightNES.png (894x894, 339K)

>can bust shields from any range
>ez kill options
>amazing spacing
>solid speed
>multiple good recovery options
Nah, you're just bad.

They reuse the hell out of punchy kick moves too. You can only fucking punch so many ways, you can only fucking kick so many ways. The fucking swordsmen play differenrly from each other. The FE characters are the ones that play similar to each other. Maybe your issue is with FE rather than swords, because Link doesnt play like Meta Knight you fucking shit.

If your issue is with FE characters being similar then thats one thing. If your issue is with swords, you're a fucking retard.

Yeah, they do.

>The FE characters are the ones that play similar to each other.
And it's only the Marth clones. Marth, Ike, Corrin and Robin are fine.

Literally anybody as long as they don’t have the same fucking playstyle as a character already in the cast.

I love Sofia so much. Why coulndt she be in?

Attached: 1467338008440.jpg (450x600, 194K)

Not canon.

And we Hero, who brings an entirely new gimmick with him. But he has a sword so I guess he doesn't count.

Fuck Dragon Quest.

Is it just me or the prince of Cannock put on some weight?

SEETHING Stevenegro

FEm Hero in MC3 I can understand being not canon. But I can't see any reason why she isn't canon there, the hero in 4 isn't referenced in any other DQs

Attached: kyoung-hwan-kim-dq-02.jpg (700x951, 144K)

edgy

Attached: bd8407d1b317b9f33613f31d6bca1472.jpg (450x337, 44K)

If we cut a Link, at least 2 Marths, and Corrin because he's trash, then people wouldn't complain
Ike, MK and Robin are all unique/fun sword users.
I think Cloud and Shulk would need some touching up too.

>Rocket slime and joker
>tfw remembering how it was to be a DQ fan back then
At least the games are getting the love they deserve now.

No. Would of liked to see her in but it makes sense why she didn't get in. They went with alt colors to represent some of the heroes that didn't get in instead while at the same time being a nod to some particular favorite characters. (X/Angelo colors for Luminary, V colors for Erdrick, I colors for Solo, III/Terry colors for Guv/Eight )

Attached: 1514077701202.jpg (807x659, 42K)

I've been dreaming of having a DQ rep (Erdrick/Roto or Slime specifically) for years, and it's finally happened. It's so surreal. I feel incredible.

Attached: Erdrick3.png (148x219, 79K)

Thanks for the nightmares user.

SEETHING Larafag. Tomb Raider is more iconic than DQ. I'm ding-dong diddly seethin.

I don’t get why people pretend Roy and Marth are still the same, they have same basic animations but the play style is radically different especially due to fall speed on Roy.

That's true. But it's hard to explain that to people who think every sword user plays the same.

They all have same spells. They have four spell menus for their special moves, each with their own four spells.

I'm playing 3 right now

HOES MAD

Hope DQ Heroes 3 happens. 1 was ass but 2 was really fun.

>Not playing CQC-only Snake
lmao

This kills the CERO

Attached: Dq4_Heroine.jpg (917x1580, 355K)

How hard is Hero going to be to play? I want to main him but I suck ass at smash.

Probably not too hard once you find out what spells do what.

I'd say equal or slightly harder than the Robins, as you're pulling from one mana pool with (i assume) differently priced spells

begone shill gremlin, i already did and i'm buying dqxi s

Attached: 1537554117817.jpg (724x1024, 53K)

Thanks user. Still shocked DQIV hero got in, wish it was the female version but IV is my favorite and I honestly didn't think it was one of the more popular ones. I was always expecting either Eight or the Luminary to be the rep if DQ got in, and I ended up with so much more than I could have asked for.

I wonder if them throwing Solo in means they want to reremake IV

Attached: accha......png (1070x838, 2.05M)

I hope they change or remove that bonus chapter if they do

The games written to be a fucking tragedy and the ds version just goes "lol nevermind everyone comes back to life to defeat the TRUE puppet master." Really lowered the quality of the narrative.

Shitposting aside he looks like a fun character and i'm interested in playing a DQ game now.

DQ is a great fit into Smash thanks to impact it had on JRPGS.

Attached: 1516508226618.gif (600x275, 574K)

This, Samus is a solid mid tier whereas Mii Gunner's been steadily declining ever since release

Attached: 0cb21ee9-d4a1-488f-92f8-58597015ee03.png (1920x2560, 1.31M)

XI, VIII, or V are the best choices for your first DQ game. XI is the most accessible given it's on PC and PS4 and coming to switch. VIII is good too if you don't mind a drop in graphic and audio quality from the PS2 version (with the audio part able to be changed through modding) and V is good too if you have a DS/3DS.