Its shit because there are enemy arenas

>its shit because there are enemy arenas
???

Attached: Doom_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 383K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8bq1VlSTG1w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is shit because a faggot like you likes it.

Attached: 1556667416126_0.jpg (334x506, 39K)

k

It's shit because
1. It's new.
2. It's not old.
Fucking understand it already zoomer.

Wait DOOM has arenas? It doesn't have maps that progress?

It obviously has traditional levels with keycards and shit but now there are enemy arenas sprinkled throughout.

I can't even shitposting against this game seriously. It's just so great, everyone knows it's great. Players, critics, the developers. Everyone knows the Doom remake was awesome and had a blast with it. It's pure fun and SOUL. People who say it's bad are so funny to me because I know they're wrong, and so does everyone else. It's like one guy pleading with a whole flashmob to stop as they dab on him repeatedly. Peak ridiculousness.
Can't wait for the next game bros.

That's only in the first level. After that it's only keycards unlocked after beating an arena.

fuck off shill

And my question is why is that a bad thing exactly?

Yep, and it looks like Eternal is cutting down on that shit

See what I mean? I can't help but laugh when I see shit like this
Just imagining all the people who know how awesome these games are loudly jamming to the music while one guy mutters "sh-shill.. fuck off!"

Attached: 745.png (327x316, 211K)

Where did I say that. I was just telling you that you're a full of shit lying bitch.

Lurker here, it's not bad but if it's the only thing happening it makes gameplay more dull. You spice up enemy encounters with different types of encounters, so you appreciate each one more fully.

>frogposter

It's fucked up because this is true. I myself spent so long not willing to give it a chance, just calling it shit constantly because it didn't look like the shareware enough and the soundtrack wasn't just midi vulgar display or some shit, thought glory kills were obnoxious zoomer shit. Then I finally picked it up on sale and gave it a chance on a friend's recommendation, a guy who's a way bigger doom fan and purist than me saying it was actaully godlike.

If I could bitchslap the fucking shit out of my old self for putting this game off so long I would.

Nigga I'm playing it through it for the first time right now. Only like halfway through. Honestly it didn't even occur to me that I only got keycards after beating an arena past the first level. I haven't really played much classic Doom either. I'm just genuinely wondering why people dislike arenas besides the fact that its different from og Doom.

Each arena has different level layouts, powerups, and enemy types/positions. There has never been a point where I've gotten tired of going through them. DMC has the same kind of level setup and its great, so what makes it bad for Doom?

>pre-2016: "Serious Sam and Painkiller aren't proper "Doom clones", because they're swarm-survival arena shooters!"
>post 2016: Doom is now a Painkiller clone, with grinding and QTE shit.
>2019: OP is a fagget.

Based open minded user. Welcome home bro.

I liked the new doom but it'd be better with the old level design. You should play the old Doom to see why, there's the old levels hidden in Doom 2016 so you could do that. It's way more fun to roam around a big level searching for keycards and discovering new areas than getting stuck in one big room. And backtracking wasn't a problem since you walked at the speed of light.

doom 2016 is boring

The enemy arenas being virtually the sole source of interesting combat is the shitty part since the in between stuff is boring. The game itself is still good, but it would have been better with more interesting levels that were more like Foundry than the rest of the game but then also had lots of enemies handplaced all over the map instead of typically focused to specific areas.

I think Eternal will be fun but this is pretty cringe bro, they definitely have aspects that I could see ruining them for somebody.

Glory kills are shit though. It's fun to see them when you discover a new enemy but that's all.

It's still better than pic related if only because DOOM doesn't go fucking overboard in the modifications

Attached: 2Q==.jpg (213x236, 6K)

Because they are still arenas in a game that wasn't about exclusively being arena after arena, Painkiller didn't do this, nor did Serious Sam. Doom 2016 didn't even do this, they just had way more arenas in later levels.
If arena after arena doesn't make you bored after hours, you're in a very small minority.

Complaints about being lost or backtracking in previous doom games are completely overblown, you can have some moments where you're lost but they're rare and you figure out where you want to go quickly.

"Marathon" on the other hand.....

Attached: 1445810674000.png (450x420, 105K)

I feel your feel user

I get the idea behind glory kills. Since there's no regenerating health and because enemies are much stronger than they were in the first 3 doom games, they wanted a way for you to survive while under constant assault. It's not for everyone but it "works"

>nor did Serious Sam
SS3 did, but I found that game a lot weaker than the previous SS games.

Is feature bloat the main reason people hate on Brutal Doom?

It's not shit but it is a lesser game.

You've convinced me to buy the game, user. I hope I'm in for a ride.

>just want the enhanced gore and nothing else
>ketchup mod gives me this
>smoothdoom is still better anyway

feature bloat and the fact that a lot of the features are just bad ideas.

Attached: jimmies.jpg (1200x812, 330K)

I get the idea too but they should give you health when you just kill them or something.
I didn't get bored playing the game for the first time but it being full of arenas makes me uneager to play it again.

I stopped playing og Doom like halfway through because I was bored honestly. I didn't find the level design to be all that enjoyable. To me both new Doom and old Doom are at their best when I'm shooting at things. New Doom focuses more on just simply shooting things so I find that more enjoyable. What is it about the exploration aspect of old Doom that you feel adds so much to it? Because honestly all it amounted to for me was getting lost every once in a while and running around aimlessly for a few minutes.

>I get the idea too but they should give you health when you just kill them or something.
Apparently Eternal is doing it so that glory kills give health, chainsaw kills give ammo, and flamethrower kills give armor. So you can do the kill type for whatever situation you're currently in.

>If arena after arena doesn't make you bored after hours, you're in a very small minority.
I highly, highly doubt that considering the critical acclaim this got. Yea Forums is the only place I've seen thats highly critical of this game.

It's more that I like a lot running around at full speed while shooting things, getting stuck in one place is less interesting. Also the old levels can have very cool enemies placement in some places.

That's part of it, another part is that the people who are super into Brutal Doom are really, REALLY obnoxious and think all forms of Doom should be like Brutal Doom

When you see Cyberdemon and make this face.

Attached: soy boy demon.jpg (1440x812, 312K)

It's more the personality of the creator (Mark) who has done legitimately dickish things. Just remember on /vr/ there are a small group of major losers who love to piss and whine about him non stop and accuse anybody who doesn't join them of being him.
Personally, I look past a fair bit for anybody who wants to contribute to their hobby and never read any off topic posts on forums.

Also, if you know something of how doom modding works and look "under the hood" Brutal Doom is a spaghetti nightmare, it's an absolute mess and basically Japanese to anybody except Mark. Although Mark is probably the fastest working Doom modder I have ever seen, the rate at which he makes content is insane.

Attached: 1447226028459.gif (500x277, 997K)

What a gay fucking post.

How are the gyro controls on Switch? I thought playing Killzone Mercenary was cool on Vita, so I want some more handheld FPS.

It's a mod that tries to make Doom into Painkiller when Doom was never about that.

>i hate everything

yeah, horrible reddit game.
Play serious sam or painkiller.

Not him but I think classic Doom has better flow when you're just running through levels grabbing weapons and powerups and gunning down enemies, and most of the time you could reach the very end and still go back for items and enemies you missed. Having arena lockdown sequences and points of no return all the time just isn't that fun to me.

I don't understand people putting mouse look into the first 2 games. It fucks with the textures so much when you change your vertical fov since it's just a picture. The games were designed with the y axis being locked.

>It's more the personality of the creator (Mark) who has done legitimately dickish things.
It's hard to get banned from every forum ever and not be a bit of an asshole.

Design aside, that texture stretching can be amended by switching your renderer.

i don't like it because it's boring.

Attached: that first sip of the day.jpg (800x1667, 621K)

How do you aim up if y axis is locked? The fuck?

Because playing with the y axis locked feels like shit to anyone who isn't a boomer

At that point you might as well just play Quake.

True, but he's still not as much of an insufferable fuckhead as Ed

boomers overrate everything old
old doom is overrated shit for boomers

serious sam is reddit as fuck.

You don't have to, guns in Doom 1/2 have infinite verticality coded into them so as long as you're lined up on the x of what you're shooting, the bullets will hit them.

I don't see why it does. It's a different design for a different type of game.

Quake is pretty great

true but nu-doom is still shit.

Based

Cringe

>retrofags hate arenas because you can't hide behind a corridor and kite enemies
Can't make this shit up

Movement is jank, it feels it was made for gamepads.
Glorykills are eyesore.
Doublejumping was mistake.
Upgrading weapons is necessary and distract you from killing.
Armor is now secondary health for some reason.

Attached: 1442061444983.jpg (703x1000, 91K)

>I'm just genuinely wondering why people dislike arenas besides the fact that its different from og Doom.
No, you're just a moron asking loaded questions, trying to ignore all the other criticism and flip one (major) gameplay style alteration upside down.
Doom became legendary thanks to its fast-paced, no bullshit gameplay, that was coupled with clever, surreal and awe-striking map design. The enemies were already "there", and they could potentially chase you across the whole map, taking the combat with them to your location. This made the gameplay dynamic and less predictable, where as in 2016 game, once ya pop those demon spawns, you know you'll be fighting against a handful of pathetic foes for the next 15-30 minutes. And this is repeated from the very first minute, to the last moment of the game.

In case of original Dooms, a typical noobie would play the game like a faster paced "survival horror", desperately hunting supplies and killing shit in small portions, while more experienced folks could waltz through maps Sanicspeed, even ignoring tons of foes. Instead of the game throwing tons of ""upgrades"" for your "character", (You) yourself improved your own playing skills. Thus potentially becoming that badass the Doomguy is known as.

Like some smarter person once said, the original game was definition of "deep and simple", while the new one is definition of "shallow and complex". The 2016 game is like a game made by people who never even played original DooM games, but were tasked to create one out of all the internet Memes they could find. All while trying to sprinkle as many late 2010s console game padding on it to attract the Cowadooteh audiences, and to also hide the gaping holes in the game design and replay value (such as, but not limited to, mods).

5 years ago, I would not have believed that I'd ever mutter these words, but no.
Brutal Doom is piece of shit, but it's way more enjoyable, more "Doom" than the 2016 sequeliboot.

I like Brutal Doom, it add a lot of useless shit but they're fun.

Yikes, not reading that shit lmao.

>a guy who's a way bigger doom fan and purist than me saying it was actaully godlike.
That's a redflag because Doom babies have terrible taste.

>clever, surreal and awe-striking map design.
where

Isn't that the whole point of mods? Making it into something the original wasn't? Not saying brutal doom is great but your argument is kinda weak.

Agreed. I still play NuDoom but it is a different game.
Anybody disagreeing is just an ignoramus masquerading as a contrarian

Attached: 1437407393721.png (358x278, 5K)

>clever, surreal and awe-striking map design
ahahahahaha ogdoomfags are a fucking riot

literally only people sitting around writing up game theory long form essays for youtube in their heads think like this, everyone else just plays the games and has fun, get help and play an actual game for once

>Original loving fans hate things that dumb down the game series they love
Next you'll try to convince me that regenerating health is good?

I played Doom 1 and 2 for the first time this year. They're top tier. You're jaded.

>that whole post
goddamn son your delusion is off the charts

I don't get it. Is this post wrong? Can someone explain why? It makes sense logically, but is something left out?

Literally only lonely, underaged brainletts and Incels think like this.
Have sex and learn what makes games good for once.

Doomers were a mistake

>dumbing down an easy baby FPS 8 year olds played and beaten

The absolute state of nuD44M fags.
Should known it's all just bunch of kids born and raised by Halo, that praise this shit.

Attached: 1559084346886.jpg (960x960, 74K)

>that was coupled with clever, surreal and awe-striking map design.

>hide invisible buttons in walls that you have to facegrind to find
>click button and enemies get released every single time
>wow such stunning mapdesign

It's shit because it only has enemy arenas.

not like zoom

you'll get an A on your dissertation user don't worry about it, but in the mean time I'll keep enjoying my actual full length single player fps in 2019

I don't like NuD44M though, you're just a faggot.

Considering everything I used to play as an 8 year-old is nowadays considered "Dark Souls of XYZ", that only tells us about the pathetic state of the industry and zuum zuum "gamers".

Hes making old Doom sound way better than it actually is. As expected from a nostalgiafag who clearly huffs his own farts.

>dumbing down
>doom
doom is as simple as fps get what are you on about

>writing some big bullshit facts and logic ben shapiro speech about what made doom good and why new doom doesn't hold up
>everyone else just has fun playing all the games
>smile smugly to yourself about your ownage
sad ass life you live buddy

Let's rate every doom (And split the episodes as well)
Knee Deep in the Dead > Inferno > The Shores of Hell > Non-city Doom 2 levels > Doom 64 = Thy Flesh Consumed (Except the first 2 maps) > City Doom 2 levels > Plutonia > D44M > Doom 3 > Gimmick Doom 2 levels > The first 2 maps of Thy Flesh Consumed > TNT evilution

Bringe

Doom being hyper sanic gaem is a meme, when it came out it wasn't actually played as such
The maps are definitely not awe-inspiring
The game is not deep
Gameplay was entirely predictable since you kinda wisen up about surprises after the second time if they're always the same
Lots of buzzwords in general to try and mask the lack of substance in his post

Boomers don't want to admit that doom was always piss easy. Just point in the general direction an enemy and fire and you'll hit them, regardless if you're even on the same level as them. The only thing that makes it hard is the outdated movement.

Knee Deep in the Dead is legitimately the most overrated thing I've ever played. There is nothing exceptional about it. I'm sorry but its time for this meme to fucking end. Its just simply not that good.

based zoomer trying way too hard to look like an oldfag

>lol why don't u just eat shit and have ""fun"" ? :^)
literally all you Zenifags are saying.
How about you first make a GREAT GAME that's not boring ans fuck, so I can HAVE fun?
Imagine living in a world where nu-Duum is the pinnacle of all vidya.

ITT: boomers pretending like their opinions matter

I'm sorry man, I am a guy who enjoys simple but efficient map design and Knee Deep in the Dead is gold standard of that. Though build games generally have better first episodes.

ITT: Boomers argue that their monotonous game is better while zoomers seethe about their shit somehow being even more mongoloid.

This was a chance to update the series, making the maps even more expansive and labyrinthine, to have more varieties of enemies and more designers able to make more varied and interesting encounters
Instead it was ARENAS ARENAS ARENAS

Boomers are fucking embarrassing. Fuck off to /vr/ and never come back to Yea Forums. This is the zoomers turf now and we own this fucking place!!!

*dabs*

hell yeah!!!!!!!!!

So did I. I got bored in 20 minutes for both.
>Hurr durr muh labyrinth mapz! dont need to aim properly just shoot bullet in general direction to win
Games have advanced a lot in 26 years and boomer doom is shit in comparison. If you're going to pick an old fps to suck off, at least pick quake which is better in every way

/vr/ fucking hates Doomfags though. At least get your shitposts straight.

There is nothing wrong with arenas and this thread proves that. Nobody can come up with a proper argument as to why they are bad besides "I dont like them and they are bad!!"

Has it really gotten to the point where people are starting to hate OG Doom because some schizo is saying the don't like modern Doom?

This too. Doom general is hated because of the sheer frequency of it because of it being baby's first retro game.

Attached: Dude.gif (488x519, 415K)

No its good in spite of the arenas

>Doom being hyper sanic gaem is a meme, when it came out it wasn't actually played as such
Speedruns started nearly instantly after the game came out.
On top of this, the stock movement speed is greatly faster than in 2016, and there's no pacing-destroying padding, like GKs, button-pressing / item pickup animations, literal cutscenes, grinding for upgrades... etc. It's all "here's a gun, here's your next map, figure it out!".
>The maps are definitely not awe-inspiring
False. Just about every classic Doom map starts you off in a visually distinct "hub zone" that you seek back into later on, like a landmark.
>The game is not deep
False. There's lots of depth when it comes to dynamics of the enemy gallery and weapon behavior.
>Gameplay was entirely predictable since you kinda wisen up about surprises after the second time if they're always the same
It's not about some "surprises" . It's about the way the devs could mix things up by having different enemy types co-operate against you in a greatly varying environments, making you do split-second decisions about the priorities in those very moments.
>Lots of buzzwords in general to try and mask the lack of substance in his post
Translation: "any term and phrase I cannot counter with my memes is a buzzword".
Quite ironic how you also seem to consider your uneraged nerd-rage to count as "substance".

Sorry kid, but I was already learning about bees and flowers at school when Doom originally came out. This site's just clearly overtaken by the zoom zoom crowd.

Attached: Doom 1 vs modern FPS possibility space.jpg (2724x928, 318K)

No, it's not.

labyrinth maps are garbage

Its clearly D44Mfags falseflagging as Doomfags to make actual Doomfags look obnoxious so that people start to shit on ogdoom and the general opinion shifts to D44M being the superior game. You are a retard if you don't see that.

Honestly I have less issues with the arenas (Which have issues relating to breaking immersion and limiting design) than with how fucking dull their encounter design is in them. They are pure fucking amateur hour.

>doomer actually thinks I am going to argue´with someone that's clearly set in his garbage opinions
'no'

So why are they good besides "lol I don't like your reasons for not liking them so they good now"?

>monotonous game
Doom is the polar opposite of "monotonous". It's one of the most satisfying and captivating games out there.

>This was a chance to update the series, making the maps even more expansive and labyrinthine, to have more varieties of enemies and more designers able to make more varied and interesting encounters
Exactly this. But apparently, doing things better, bigger and badder is a no no for 2010's devs.

>thinking Doom's maps are "labyritnths"
>thinking that streamlining map-design into literal series of tubes is "progress" or even "good"
>thinking that Doom is "shit" in any way, compared to literally anything
you're not even trying

>at least pick quake which is better in every way
pfftAHAHAHA! Oh god, that was a good one!
Imagine thinking that THE literal first Brown - the game would be in ANY way more fun than fucking Doom! You had a chance to actually have some sort of vague and shallow argument, but instead of picking, say, BLOOD, you had to take perhaps the worst game OG ID Software ever shat out??

>literal PS4 zoomers defending this mess

Attached: d4 is hard.webm (768x432, 2.8M)

They put the focus purely on combat encounters instead of running around mazes. They also are designed to account for how much more mobile you are and generally give you a lot of space to run and jump around while shooting things and having FUN.

So basically "I like them and they are good!!". Got it.

>00's kids standing in guard for... THIS

Attached: d44m shield lol.webm (768x432, 2.85M)

The only confusing maps in vanilla Doom 1 or 2 are Downtown and maps that involve fuckery with multiple teleporters. Christ, the game gives you a fucking map.
You can add Y axis aim and remove autoaim if it actually bothers you.

0/10 argument.

>its the I found one encounter where you can break the enemy AI so I'll spam it on Yea Forums to act as if this proves that the game is a "mess" episode

Wow, you didn't even try. Sad.

who the fuck said pinnacle of all vidya, there's nothing else to say to you you just listed a bunch of things about the game and said btw this means its not good, nobody else agrees with you clearly because it's successful as fuck. there's no point ot be made here

Sorry, but no.
That's just you, defending lazy as fuck map design and literally catering to obsolete console hardware that somehow can not show more 3D enemies on the screen that PS1.

he said he likes them because he likes to run fast use double jumps and gravity and teleports while fighting a horde of enemies

Those guys would fuck my ass on UV if I did what you're doing in that. Enough with the bullshit webms.

>hey argue your point
>here's my arguments
>>so basically didn't read lol
Yea Forums was a mistake

>Fail generation willingly protecting the "legacy" of THIS "game"

Attached: d4 is hard 2.webm (640x360, 2.93M)

>p-plz delet this!!!

Attached: nuSoi.jpg (610x325, 68K)

>zoning out a melee opponent means the game is shit
say hi to scrubquotes for me

>tfw my fellow ogdoomfags are shitting and dabbing all over these retarded zoomers
Keep it up boys!!! You are fighting the good fight!!!!

Attached: cheerful-grandpa-giving-thumbs-up.jpg (1300x1100, 97K)

>wannab oldfag zoomers seething because people are enjoying their lives instead of being miserable with them about things for no reason
I almost feel pity for them bros

That's not zoning out
That's something somehow being unable to tackle you in the air/unable to punch you in the air/unable to grab you in its mouth and throw you down/fucking anything you'd expect.

>old doomfag can't even admit that quake is an 100x improved version of doom

confirmed troll, you might actually be a zoomer

>game has rules
>exploit them to your advantage
hehe checkmate

DoomRL is the best Doom, prove me wrong

>Literal massive RPG dumbed down into a watered down Doom Clone
>"improved"
Worse art-design.
Worse map-design.
Worse enemy design.
Enemies are bullet-sponges, because mid-90s PCs couldn't handle more than a handful of polygons.

Literally the only thing Quak got going for itself was solidifying online MP and machinima as a major factor in vidya, though DooM already set the seeds for that too with its LAN party death matches.

Just calling you on blatant bullshit.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-12-02h23m24s078.png (1920x1080, 1.5M)

I like the way he looks.

Attached: Doom Slayer Formerly Guy.jpg (1085x810, 368K)

It still respects the original design philosophy where movement is life, and stands in contrast to the usual peekaboo shooters.

Attached: D7rJMW-V4A.jpg (1489x2047, 520K)

Is this game at all like Doom? I like it a lot actually. It's what I believe Doom is like despite never playing the game.

They're shitty rules that break immersion.

that makes no sense. wow.

I get that he had a face in the originals but I kinda liked the faceless doom guy, it makes him look a lot more intimidating.

>vlcsnap-2019
I'd also love to hear what you kiddos consider "bullshit" now.

Attached: 1458182211424.jpg (695x518, 73K)

It would be insanely easy without arenas

No. It's just an RL, with Doom paint on it.
Original Dooms are linearly progressing, non-scripted FPS games, with semi-nonlinear maps, heavy focus on finding secrets, and dodging projectiles / duking melee foes in tandem.

Attached: Doom1 on ZDoom.jpg (1360x768, 135K)

1. It already is pathetically easy.
2. That just proves how shit the game- and map-design is.

Who's this good bad dog, Yea Forums?

Attached: wof.png (1241x717, 1.25M)

He's not supposed to be "intimidating".
Doomguy is supposed to be a relatable, "vulnerable badass", like a mix of the Aliens' space marines and the Evil Dead's Ash Williams. Both films that were actual sources of inspiration for the game.

Attached: d1 end.jpg (939x768, 113K)

Oh I did not know that you are one of the original creators and knew what doom guy was supposed to be

Someone who is gonna knot female demons in porn.

I hope the hook on the super shotgun is a removable mod like we had on guns in 2016. I want my double barrel looking clean and pure.

Literally read Masters of Doom

No, Doomguy is you. Yeah you might not be a white guy with brown hair and a square jaw but the whole reason he has no story is because according to Romero, he is you, he is the player.

There is a difference between old doom and new. Old doom's protag was just a dude who fought against crazy odds. Nu doom is from the start of the game established as someone stronger than demons. Its really a different take, I do like the original more. Nu doom is basically master chief, he is good at everything because.

Still the greatest gun in videogames

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

Difference is the new Doom guy actually has a story and even a son. Its a totally different character so I can see them establishing his appearance more. He has much more of a personality too, as he is much more aggressive and angry

While the chief comparison is fair, Doomguy(Slayer) has a bit more to him. Chief from very start had "luck" on his side Which turned out to be forerunner fuckery but fuck 343 lore that was just a throwaway why the gameplay happens and why he is one of the few remaining spartan 2's. Doomguy on the other hand only got his godlike powers AFTER he already rampaged through hell for a couple of years. He worked up to that, Chief started out with plot armour.

>Nu doom is basically master chief, he is good at everything because.
John-117 is the best because he has been genetically and cynbernetically enhanced to be the best. He was part of a government supersoldier program to create the ultimate soldier.

The Doom Slayer is basically just someone that killed demons so long that he became an embodiment of killing demons.

You used a pic from Doom 2 and the name Doomguy so I assumed you meant Doomguy and not the Doom Slayer

Doomslayer=Doomguy?

Maybe this is a controversial take, but I feel in terms of characterization, lore and art nuDoom is pretty much perfectly executed, sure it has a different style to the originals, but it is about as well done as a modern FPS game light on story can be, it's there, it's interesting and fun.

Maybe? Whether or not he's the same person and thus the son/grandon of Commander Keen is intentionally left ambiguous because Doom 1/2 have different continuities than Doom 3 even though it was confirmed it was the same guy in all 3 games.

Considering how much of a Doom 64 fanboy Hugo is, I don't doubt it.

I didn't post the pic. I was just saying how doom has changed and we cannot base it off of the originals because they are different characters. New doom slayer is not supposed to be the player unlike possibly they meant for the original doom guy to be

>strawman because you can't deflect valid criticism
kek

Maybe it's just me but people including the devs said for so long that "lol the story doesn't matter" with D44M that I got really invested in all the little bits of story we had to try and piece it al together.

>only people who like objectively good game-design criticise the game, everyone else who has trash taste just playes the games and has fun

Doom 2016 is actually pretty good for a story. If you want to see trash story just look at Rage 2. People just say story doesn't matter as soon as something is not complicated as fuck on the level of some indie shit

>because they are different characters.
They aren't, it's still BJ Blazkowicz III

Exactly, it's a really well done story and it probably doesn't get enough credit because it's not in your face about it.
It's a fine balance though, I hope they don't fuck it up in Eternal.

I do think it's kinda clever that they shifted from the player being doomguy to the player being the seraphim that empowers doomguy.

I still stand by the quote but I have exceptions. Like yeah, story in vidya and porn aren't important you can have both without them, but a good story can elevate both if it serves the main attraction (Gameplay/jerk off material). Like seriously, the rare occasion I find porn with a good story, it makes the actual sex more interesting. Granted this only has happened in select Hentai, but it does exist.

I meant more because the game actively tries to make you not care about the story because Doomguy himself doesn't care

>objectively good game-design
No such thing. If there was an objective way to design games, everything would be the same and there would never be anything that is not a 10/10

soundtrack sucks though

>valid and objectively correct conclusions about game-design are ignored because zoomers can't handle truth
not surprising desu

They can call him whatever they want in the story and say it is mario for all I care. It doesn't change the fact that the character itself is different from the original

Great job admitting that your .webms were bullshit and that you're a paint eating faggot, dude.

The only exception to that which is one of my biggest gripes with 2016 is Samuel's office. If there was a way to circumvent it, like another door that completely skips his office and lets you continue to the Lazarus facility, it would be fixed.

While their characterization is different, in canon of the games, they are the same person. But not the same person as the Doom3guy, who is a separate person and has no connection to anyone from the Blazkowicz family tree.

Giving someone characterization they didn't previously have doesn't stop them from literally being the same person.

DMC locks you into arenas to fight all the enemies in until they die and it's nothing but arena fights from start to finish, but for some reason people consider the DMC games to be the best action games of all time while the arenas in nuDoom make it bad?
Why is that?

The fact that Daisy is secretly in the Doom Eternal box art kinda confirms that he's the original Doomguy

>Plays on I'm Too Young To Die
"heY faGGOTs this game is EASY PLAY a rEAl game LikE heREtIc 2 xD"

Not the point of what I was saying but its ok if you do not understand. The character can be the same in the game but the philosophy behind them is totally different. As you would expect from a different studio and group of people working on the game from the original. It is like if marvel came out and said all of the spider man actors were the same character, you cannot deny that each actor did not create a different interpretation of the character.

I mean, the guy has only been slaying demons uninterrupted for, what, 120 years before he got locked up? That shit changes a man

Not him since you're just shitposting but I feel like in any doom game you should try it on Hurt Me Plenty first. It gives you a general idea of what "normal" mode is without tacking on too much.

Let that user go, user. He just wants to hate for no real reason other than to be contrarian or NEW GAME BAD, OLD GAMGE GOOD. He's grasping for straws here. Probably a bald aging loser who cannot recapture the feel of his youth because he cannot move on and see beyond.

Attached: 1477162206228.jpg (357x432, 62K)

I'm saying it doesn't matter because even Doomguy himself basically says to the player "lol ignore the story and all that other shit, let's shoot things". Yeah there's lore, and yes the lore behind the game and Doomguy is interesting, but like John Carmack said, it's also completely unnecesary.

I still don't know how someone noticed that right after we got the image.

What do you guys think doom slayer does when he's not killing demons?

Actually finished it yesterday after dropping it like 4 times. It went on for a bit too long because the end was just a bunch of arenas with the same monsters which got pretty stale. Weapon upgrades became worthless after some time because there just wasn't anything I wanted.

alright bosses though which was very surprising to me because I straight up expected circle-strafing and locking on rockets. They required some positioning and concentration which was cool. Hope the ones in Eternal are more intricate because they were a nice break from the mayhem.
I can't imagine a world where Eternal is a step down unless they go completely overboard with the anime double jumping and air-dashing. I'm excited.

Jerks off to bunny furry porn.

Thinking about killing demons

Nothing because he never stops killing demons

Killin some pussy

Attached: 1477236469865.gif (477x360, 982K)

Assuming he does have downtime, he probably thinks about the people from his original universe, the Night Sentinels lost to the demons and daisy.

The bosses were a weird spread in the game from what I remember, there is one like 60% in, then a few at 80% and then the final boss. I honestly was thinking there would not be any bosses playing the game the first time

I like the idea that when he's not in the heat of battle he's a really contemplative, stoic and thoughtful individual

Everyone calls it D44M but considering it's the 5th game (if you count 64), shouldn't it be D55M?

I only do it because Doom 3 exists and there was going to be a real "Doom 4"
youtube.com/watch?v=8bq1VlSTG1w

It's good because a faggot like you hates it

When they originally announced it 8 years before the damn thing came out, they called it Doom 4.

>The enemies were already "there", and they could potentially chase you across the whole map, taking the combat with them to your location. This made the gameplay dynamic and less predictable, where as in 2016 game
Hold the fuck up

Enemies in Doom are slow as molasses. You don't see many maps designed around roaming enemies because aside from Revenants and Archviles you don't have many enemies who can unpredictably get you by surprise. If the game wants to surprise you, it often has to do so with handplaced surprise monster closets, but because of the enemy behavior and movement speed they're not the best catalyst for emergent behavior.

Most levels in Doom are handcrafted precisely because the enemies aren't as threatening on their own in a featureless square room as say, the enemies in Quake are. But the result is that each level is often designed with a particular flow in mind the way the level designer envisioned it. So they don't allow for much random constant adaptation the way you think it does.

A series of games which DO combine Doom-style level design with unpredictable enemy movement and emergent situations where enemies can actually surprise you without the level designer having to precisely make that happen would be the Descent games, and if you weren't such a shit-eating contrarian plebeian you would have mentioned the Descent games as the proper example.

Even then it's a huge mistake to say that combat in nuDoom is less dynamic than Doom was. Enemies in nuDoom are actually much more mobile, their AI is more sophisticated and allows them to scale the environment in many ways with unique behavior per enemy. They don't just slowly shuffle towards you. The essence behind how an arena encounter plays out the same, but the way enemies move and attack is always unpredictable and forces you to adapt, given how arenas are not designed around the player moving along a certain path and how some enemy spawns are pseudo-random.

Attached: 1469042530445.jpg (404x356, 89K)

Doom 64 is a spin-off not a mainline title.

What do you mean? They like Doom

Shit taste

Isn't the ending canon though? Doesn't it directly lead into 2016?

>someone took time out of their life to make this
wew

user just because it doesn't have a soundtrack that would cause lawsuits today doesn't mean it's bad.

Less "directly" and more "it ends with enough ambiguity that you can wiggle your way into justifying it being the same Doomguy"

Spin-offs can be canon. The main thing is that it was apparently developed by Midway not even Id software. Doom 3 is the one that is in question of being canon even though its a main entry.

Yeah a bit, like do we really need 4 shotguns bound to 1 key? That all need to reload etc

Why all of sudden people started to hate Doom '16?

I fucking hate how amor worls in nu-doom.
Because they are diffrent genres? DMC requires more complicated inputs and doom requires more terrain awarness.

glad they're dropping the master chief mystery helmet stuff

imagine being this retarded

the hate from Brutal Doom is 50% elitism and 50% jealousy and has nothing to do with the mod itself
people will slag off Brutal Doom and praise some equally ridiculous mod that isn't as popular in the same sentence

>Because they are diffrent genres? DMC requires more complicated inputs and doom requires more terrain awarness.
Isn't that why nuDoom has more complex arenas whereas in DMC it's almost always a flat surface? So why would arenas in nuDoom supposedly be a bad thing while they're apparently just fine in DMC?

Actually try to think this one through and try asking yourself why it is that arena combat supposedly does work for DMC (to the point where nobody complains about it) but everyone hates in nuDoom.

>So why would arenas in nuDoom supposedly be a bad thing while they're apparently just fine in DMC?
because DMC isn't Doom and the original Doom had level design and the new Doom is just shoot some dudes in a non-consequential arena, rinse repeat

Fuck off to reddit honk honk fag

I don't expect them to outright crib shit like OG doom but the soundtrack they went which is basically blue balling tempo and noise.

Movement speed seems really fucking slow in DOOM. I haven't played the old ones but I thought the game was supposed to be fast paced?

I'm also not a fan of the Reddit tier cutscene executions to regain HP bullshit

>go to arena
>spend 10 mins in arena
>get out arena
>step to new arena
>spend 10 minutes again
>repeat 100000xxxxx

It gives you the illusion of being fast paced with all the animations the Doom guy plays but it's slow as fuck because it's a console FPS and you have to control it using stupid wigglesticks instead of a keyboard and mouse

Yeah and Doom 2016 isnt the orignal Doom either so your point is moot.

It's a sequel to the original Doom dumbass
if they make a sequel to the game people expect it to live up to the standards set by the games that came before it

Fuck off Mark, killing a Cyberdemon in 6 shells should never be considered okay by anyone.

Arenas are fine, but I can't say I'm not secretly hoping each new doom game that I get to dive into autistic labyrinths again.

You keep hammering on the "they're different games" bit but you're unwilling to provide a more substantial argument beyond that.

Both games lock you into an arena while enemies spawn around you until you kill them all, right?
If the new Doom "is just shoot some dudes in a non-consequential arena", wouldn't that make DMC the same but with melee?
If DMC is somehow different in the above case because "it's got better combat" or something, doesn't the problem rather lie with poor combat in nuDoom rather than arenas, and if so what are the core combat principles which nuDoom fails at?
If the old Doom was better because of level design, would DMC be better off with non-linear exploration focused level design like Dark Souls rather than with arenas?

Come on user, I'm trying to get you to think here. Active your almonds a little.

Attached: file.jpg (928x524, 106K)

that was a bug

>It's a sequel to the original Doom
Its a reboot you mongoloid.

I am not the person you were replying to, comparing Doom and DMC is retarded

Don’t buy it on Switch user, this game needs stable 60FPS.

what difference does it make? If they didn't want it to be judged to the standards of Doom they should have called it something else

I'm only comparing the fact that both games lock you into arenas, not the whole games, and that it's somehow fine for DMC but not for nuDoom. Everybody can only reply "but they're different!" but nobody is actually willing to go into detail why such a comparison is not applicable.

well I can't because I've never even played DMC

The purpose of a reboot is to do things differently than the originals. A sequels purpose is to improve what came before. They wanted to make a Doom game that made both normies and classic Doom fans happy and they succedded except they lost the autstic faggots on Yea Forums crowd because they decided to add combat arenas to the formula.

the purpose of a reboot is to leverage the value of an IP to sell a game to a new audience
I don't like new doom on either level because it has no level design and slow skilless console fps combat

I got bored, it was too slow. I stopped playing once I got to hell.

Doom Eternal uses lives that instantly revive player, instead of spawning him at check point like in oldschool games, and you can't disable it, all made for ease of gamepad players.

Attached: 1473751233198.jpg (1800x1200, 590K)

Unironically cyberdemon here looks way better than anything in any doom game.

>What is it about the exploration aspect of old Doom that you feel adds so much to it?
Secret exits that led to secret levels, powerful weapons and armors, more health and ammos.

>Movement is jank, it feels it was made for gamepads.
ya pulled this outta yo ass didint you?
>Glorykills are eyesore.
Then dont do them. You are master doom player after all you should be great at "menaging resources"
>Doublejumping was mistake.
Hurr slow gameplay
>Upgrading weapons is necessary and distract you from killing.
That's why you have separate pieces of game for gameplay and for some interesting sidestory and upgrades or just explore the level.
>Armor is now secondary health for some reason.
Lets say you have 100 hp and 100 armor.
1 armor decreases the dmg by 50% in turn making you actual health like 150.
The only change here is that instead of fucking around with useless % you get a clear readout of your hp.

pretty much this.

>inb4 they let you choose pc difficulty level with diffrent movement and no 1up garbage
Imma just start out on the highest difficulty.

For me it is. brutal doom was fun when it first came out but theres so much bullshit now that it's as bloated as the half life 2 cinematic mod.

They form the vast majority of enemy encounters in Doom 2016. In the original games not every discernible group of demons were fought in an arena-like map, they had a very good cast of demons that could be applied to create all kinds of scenarios and traps, which can create a good flow to the map than just segmented breaks between action.

Kind of ran its course honestly, much like a lot of mods that end up being in continuous development for years on end. There's better gameplay mods out there today and the novelty of ultraviolent gore and gibs alone can be delivered through all kinds of smaller mods that may even be compatible.

Because DMC games are not the best action games of all times. It's NGB, followed by God Hand, in which they don't lock you into arenas except for boss fights.

I agree
it has way too many weapons at this point
even though some of them are fun like the SMGs
original loadout + rifle and hand grenades is all it should be

The post's ~entire~ justification for why og doom is better is because the enemies spawn in with the map. Thats it. Old doom is "simple and deep" because enemies start loaded into the map and new doom is "shallow and complex" because enemies have spawn triggers.

What an utter joke of an argument.

>get to level
>spend 10 mins in level
>get out level
>step to new level
>spend 10 minutes again
>repeat 100000xxxxx
Goddang youre right videogames suck lol

yes in a way. the lore adds up or is atleast logical if you follow it as doom 1, doom 2, doom64, nu-doom. only doom 3 is left out lorewise. read doom64 ending and go straight to nu-doom lore after that.

>go to level
>spend 10 mins in level while listening to story and fighting enemies
>get out of level
>step to next level
>fight a boss

Attached: K6xV-QSX.jpg (426x426, 53K)

The dev is an asshole who steals content without crediting original creators

nuDoom sucks because it's just the same thing for the entire game. You get the entire arsenal too quickly and enemies stop ramping up about halfway through the game. You keep those guns for the entire game too, there are no ways to change up how fights play out because there's no equivalent to pistol starts. The difficulty curve plateaus at Kandigir Sanctum when Barons are introduced and it never gets any easier or more difficult.

/thread

>fast paced gameplay
Somebody post the webm.

>what do you think fire does when it's not burning?
pretty deep question user

That cherrypicking one, you mean?

>Old school game
>Checkpoints
Lad old school games start you at the start of the level, sometimes like OG Doom, start you at the start of the level missing your shit.

fpbp

The one that blows away all the nostalgiafag boomers I mean

Because it completely ruins the flow of the game.

Nice buzzword