Thanks for the free* Xbox remasters of every single Splinter Cell game including both versions of Double Agent...

Thanks for the free* Xbox remasters of every single Splinter Cell game including both versions of Double Agent, Microsoft!

*Must own existing physical copy, otherwise you have to pay for it.

Attached: sam-fisher_picture.jpg (284x400, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jlkAnB6XNTM&feature=youtu.be
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1692255530
youtube.com/watch?v=gbSXFKefmKw
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265715221
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Hitman_2:_Silent_Assassin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I loved the first one and then played the sequel online a bunch but never played any others.

The third one (Chaos Theory) is a must-play.

Why the fuck did Microsoft leave this stuff for Inside Xbox? It would have been a megaton to drop during their E3 conference. "Oh, BTW, here's the ENTIRE SPLINTER CELL SERIES WITH X ENHANCEMENTS! OH, AND WE EVEN INCLUDED THE DLC BECAUSE WE CARE!"

>Splinter Cell is one mission short on PC
>Pandora Tomorrow is incompatible with all hardware that isn't from the quarter of the year the game was released
>Double Agent on PC is unplayably shit and buggy as hell
This is Hitman all over again. The one platform that needs remasters just to get them to function properly does not get them.

Attached: Hitman_2.jpg (220x315, 14K)

>>Pandora Tomorrow is incompatible with all hardware that isn't from the quarter of the year the game was released
Fan patches exist to fix shadow and lighting rendering in both SC1 and Pandora Tomorrow.

This thread is about official remasters, and generational ports. XBone gets Xbox Hueg games but PC doesn't even though XBone is just a PC box, and I bet they work fine. Meanwhile on PC, Pandora Tomorrow requires fan patches and Double Agent is just the broken shit knockoff version.

Why would you get rid of your old copies? I loved Splinter Cell and I'm sure I could go find them in the house I grew up in.

This. They spent almost 2 hours with a CGI trailer show reel, and then leave out all the juice littered in between various streaming shows.

Are these included in the Xbox pc pass? Because if they are I’m unironically signing up.
>tfw they include The Darkness
PLEEEEAAASSSEEEEEE PHIL

Attached: 6B03BFBB-222A-4F97-955C-41ED0AFF9C02.jpg (346x346, 30K)

>Are these included in the Xbox pc pass?
No.

So is Pandora Tomorrow, it's the only decent quality Splinter Cell that didn't turn Sam into a killing machine and kept him fairly vulnerable
If they made a new SC with Chaos Theory style and engine but with the moves and vulnerability of Pandora Tomorrow I'd fucking buy the pre-order special edition $300 fagbox for sure

The patches still don't fully fix PT and you have to hunt down physical discs in order to play it unless you pirate.

That is true, unfortunately. But the dgvoodoo fix included with the widescreen mod fixes almost all the issues. You're very right about the game's bullshit lack of an easily purchasable version, though. Apparently there's some legal baggage with brands included in the game?

1-3 are essential.
Double Agent is a nice expansion pack to Chaos Theory (The 3rd game) just make sure to play the 6th Gen Version
Conviction is worth one playthrough for the story
Blacklist has some cool moments in it but is a pale imitation of the franchise overall.

>Blacklist has some cool moments in it but is a pale imitation of the franchise overall.
Blacklist is a tie for the best one, though. Sea Fort is pure kino.

God I wish they'd release Gen 6 SCDA on PC. I can emulate it but playing with a controller is shit.

FUCKHEAD

Attached: D29E3657-C8DB-4E13-98FA-F3AD74F1BCD8.jpg (264x235, 12K)

Pandora Tomorrow is absolutely not essential. The meme that it’s a good game needs to fucking die. 1,3,DA,Blacklist,Conviction should be the play order, and PT and next-gen DA optional.

Blacklist has pretty bad mechanics. No trace of the complexity of Chaos Theory. Super clunky all around. Terrible mouse control.

Yes, I truly am grateful for this bountiful harvest, Xbro! A sincere shame that the based backwards compatibility team have run out of games they're allowed to port.

>God I wish they'd release Gen 6 SCDA on PC. I can emulate it but playing with a controller is shit.
To be technical, you can only emulate the so-so PS2 and GC ports which are a massive downgrade from the Xbox version. Xbox emulation through XQEMU is making decent progress with the SC series, though.
youtube.com/watch?v=jlkAnB6XNTM&feature=youtu.be

>Blacklist has pretty bad mechanics.
Not it doesn't.
>Terrible mouse control.
Huh?

>Pandora Tomorrow is absolutely not essential.
Pandora Tomorrow has kino SWAT TURN, though. Also "shoot that cute gril immediately, Fisher".

>Not it doesn't.
Yes it fucking does.

Binary stealth movement, binary hiding in shadows, binary sound, binary opening of doors, the whole design of the game is literally black/white with no shades of grey.

It's been dumbed down to all fuck.

>Binary stealth movement, binary hiding in shadows, binary sound, binary opening of doors, the whole design of the game is literally black/white with no shades of grey.
I'm not a fan of the new movement system, but Blacklist has several different movement speeds depending on your stance. The shadow system is not binary, BTW. Nor is the sound. Blacklist is a faster paced game than the likes of Chaos Theory. While I'd like to be able to manually open doors slowly, what's the point of that when Blacklist is all about panther-like movement?

Even more reason why Blacklist should have had a new splinter cell and Sam should have become the leader of 3rd Echelon. Instead:
>lol this ain't turd echelon, this is FOURTH and its on a plane
>Sam ages backwards to justify his lack of retirement

winner of best of e3 - splinter cell

also the sound enhancements are really nice.

>>Sam ages backwards to justify his lack of retirement
He aged backwards because he had a new actor, on account of Ironside having cancer.
>lol this ain't turd echelon, this is FOURTH and its on a plane
This is a problem... why exactly?

pandora tomorrow suffers a lot more than 1 due to compatibility issues. it's only just made playable with a fan made fix.

how exactly did chaos theory remove sam's vulnerability? did you play it on expert?

Which mission is missing?

>Blacklist is a tie for the best one, though. Sea Fort is pure kino.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha fuck off.
Jesus fucking christ how can someone have taste that shit, have you even fucking played another Splinter Cell other than Conviction?
Don't even bother replying because you obviously fucking haven't.

You sound exactly like the kind of suspension of disbelief casual tard for whom Conviction and Blacklist were simplified. Just because there was a different actor doesn't mean that the character should just have reversed in development, and having a plane HQ as opposed to the basement floor of The Building is just a silly cartoony gimmick.

I have played every single Splinter Cell game. My first SC was the original SC back in 2002. Blacklist is kino. Sea Fort has easily the best level design the series has ever seen. Deal with it.

>having a plane HQ as opposed to the basement floor of The Building is just a silly cartoony gimmick.
No, it's a really good way to give the player a mobile home base where they can manage their equipment and upgrades and stuff, and justify how they trot around the globe on a whim.

Masse's assassination in Severomorsk. It's an essential story mission that is missing from the PC version and the events are directly referenced in Chaos Theory. I was really confused the first time I heard that dialogue because I played the games in order and I had never heard of Severomorsk.

Nah, and fucking no one is going to agree with you because you're objectively wrong.

>Nah, and fucking no one is going to agree with you because you're objectively wrong.
Literally nobody except Chaos Theory purists dislikes Blacklist.

ah the upgrades. I've only once managed to glitch out the upgrades so that the game allows me to continue the campaign even though I didn't purchase the fucking automap radar that shows me the location of all enemies. The last time I played the game just wouldn't let me start the next mission without installing the casual mode cheat shit that cannot be disabled in the options.

How exactly are the PS2 versions downgrades?

>Only people with taste dislike Blacklist.
Imagine my shock.

>the so-so PS2 and GC ports which are a massive downgrade from the Xbox version
No they're not. The PC versions are the downgrades. Literal different games with less content and worse content. Have you ever played the X360 or PC version of Double Agent? It's fucking trash compared to the Xbox and Gamecube version.

I saw the thread yesterday with the two autists arguing about pc vs console so you guys seem knowledgeable, what do I need to play sc1 on pc? I think I got the gog version, do I need extra patches

no pandora tomorrow is absolutely essential. technical issues aside, it's a great aside to the other games and explores the same ideas ingeniously using the idea of the illusion of a temporary set up (pandora tomorrow) within a pre existing virtual world and the illusion of biology within a virtual world tied together with it, and the terrorists registering heat signatures due to being vaccinated for a smallpox release that cannot possibly go off, the meta idea of free agent biological entities in a game world being the terrorists. it's actually the most underrated game of the first 3 "classic" splinter cells, and explores the same ideas of tyrannical game characters thinking they are playing the game world and the idea of government and agency within and outwith the hands of the player in a virtual world, but tangentially and alternating information warfare with biological. also continuing from that, the idea of a traitorous cia agent with a fake leg. the games are totally meta, like metal gear but with a different style and play with the idea of a world being virtual and free agency and the idea of playing a game. the moment in the first level in the embassy where you have to stick to the light rather than the shadow owing to the sniper's night vision goggles is a brilliant switch up and highlights the theme of the player being control in the game world through his agency rather than the in game npcs, who believe they are, which is the game's "terrorism" and how the story is told.

but as i said, it's technically flawed, and the level design is weird, but it is an absolute must. it also introduces shetland.

blacklist was shit
the only thing it has going for it was the fluid movement and even that was beaten by conviction
blacklist is the reason the series is dead

the fuck. have you played chaos theory on the ps2?

Heavily simplified shadowing and lighting. Some lights are destroyable, but many are indestructible. Levels are much smaller, and often rearranged with rejigged objectives since each sub-section of a level is treated separately. There are some weird bugs including a side objective on one of the later missions that... goes nowhere. The PS2/GC versions were clearly somewhat rushed ports of the original Xbox version.

>he never played pandora tomorrow
or
>he never played splinter cell for actual stealth
probably both
>i like SC the most because you can run through a hail of bullets and palm slap everyone, and alarms don't actually matter anymore, neither does killing (most) civilians!

no it's not. i got, i think the gog version, and it includes that mission, and the vselka submarine missions.

>what do I need to play sc1 on pc?
PC Gaming Wiki is your friend. pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell

Splinter Cell was never good. These games were depressing as hell even. So dark, so generic. Very mediocre games. The first game has to be the most saddest game I have ever played. It is such a product of its time. I struggled to get through it. Everything is so dark and drab. Just made me want to kill myself. I've never played any other games that put me in such a low mood like Splinter Cell games did.

Well, the original retail PC version does not have those.

Blacklist is a fantastic game from start to finish. The series is not dead, but rather on hold. If you want to blame the "death" of the series on something, blame it on general audience disinterest in stealth games and non-open world games.

>Just made me want to kill myself
Listen to your heart, shitter. It's right.

it was fun to play but it missed the mark of what the actual series was by several miles
blacklist itself isn't responsible for this though, that shit began with double agent and only got worse from there
its still not a decent SC game though
no fucking way

chaos theory is like a different game altogether in some regards.

You need an Xbox.
Or this steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1692255530

Jesus Christ that’s an impressive amount of bias. Don’t stop me from your enjoyment of it but all your pros were subjective and the negatives you admitted to are objective reasons why PT can be passed without worry.
Except it’s not for reasons already discussed. It’s without a doubt better than PT.

also i think some of the line readings are different between the pc and xbox versions.

>Blacklist is a fantastic game from start to finish.
Oh yeah, that FPS section was lit, as was the Gears of War style horde modes, and forced combat sections, and the shitty stealth and movement mechanics, and the braindead AI, and the shit level design.

Fucking fantastic game, start to finish.

Fucking kill yourself.

Looks worse, a lot worse

user you can pick up an xbone s for real cheap these days, its pretty comfy with the bc stuff.

I only have money for one SC title on xbox, which one do I get, lads?

Chaos Theory.

And I'm so glad Microsoft did this. Only Chaos Theory is worth playing on PC.

Attached: pt.jpg (3840x2160, 633K)

>Oh yeah, that FPS section was lit
Yep. Amazing homage to Spies vs Mercs.
>as was the Gears of War style horde modes
Amazing gameplay that pushes your stealth skills to the test. The most satisfying Ghost gameplay the series has ever offered.
>and forced combat sections
Aka the sections where people start shooting everything because they're not actually good enough at stealth. The police station is a good example of this. Ghosting it is pure satisfaction. But plebs panic and start shooting.

They are on PC and you've been able to download them separately for free for years now. Though GoG now includes them by default if you buy it from there. And it's 3 missions, not 1 mission.

What is wrong with Hitman on PC? I played C47, Silent Assassin, Contracts and Blood Money on PC and had no problems.

0/10, see me after class.

If I play the PS3 remastered trilogy is that the same as the OG xbox versions?

The PS3 versions are bad ports of the PC versions with no multiplayer.

well shit guess I'm getting the xbox versions

Literally nothing was untrue. Blacklist has a brief FPS section clearly modeled after the beloved Spies vs Mercs mode. Nothing wrong with it. Blacklist has awesome side missions where you are forced to deal with waves of hostile NPCs using all your gadgets and skills. This is Splinter Cell at its best. And Blacklist has very, very few forced combat sections. It's by far the most satisfying Splinter Cell to ghost your way through since the game gives you so many ways to avoid discovery.

if you're interested in what splinter cell is actually about and the story it tells, pandora tomorrow is essential. it replaces the idea of algorithms being used to try and control a virtual world and send into chaos (which can only exist in theory in a virtual world) through an infinite state machine as terrorism with the idea of biological contaminants being used to control a virtual world, the fact that it is a game world is made explicit and encoded the game's story and so the terrorists in the splinter cell games are all sort of mock terrorists, wielding things that cannot truly give them power in a virtual world. the sc games are all about agency, player agency.

sam fisher truly is a secret agent, as witness this exchange in pandora tomorrow

"douglas. it's been a long time."
"fisher? man you're getting old"

(making fun of the idea of aging and time passing and history in a game world)

"thank god..or should i say the cia.."
"keep guessing." (shetland can only guess at the true authority behind fisher and cannot truly know, but nor can fisher, not as a game character).
"who are you working for?"
"staying anonymous."

>Blacklist has awesome side missions where you are forced to deal with waves of hostile NPCs using all your gadgets and skills. This is Splinter Cell at its best
You're not even trying anymore, apply yourself.

fluid movement doesnt fit splinter cell. I prefer the more robust and slower pace of 1-3

Did you actually play the PS2 versions user. I've literally never seen a more downgraded game in my life. I actually played the PS2 version of Splinter Cell first, I haded it, such an inspired broken mess of a game, extremely ugly, extreme linearity, not fun at all. I dropped the series and thought Splinter Cell was shit because of that experience. Years later, tried it on PC and it's literally a different game. Levels are much more open and larger, being redesigned completely over the PS2 version, it feels fluid and natural, graphics are amazing and crisp, the levels are very large and not broken up by loading zones every 2 minutes.

>tfw I went out and bought an Xbox One X today just for 4k Chaos Theory and OG Double Agent.
>Setting it up right now
>Bro is coming over to play co-op in a bit
I haven't been this excited for video games in a long time.

Forcing the player to think on their feet to avoid discovery is much better stealth gameplay than allowing players to crouch in a corner forever. Sam Fisher is a secret agent. Imagine a thriller where the main character just crouches in a corner for 30 minutes. Boring as shit. What is exciting is the secret agent expertly avoiding dogs, soldiers, etc, silently disabling them without being detected. The early Splinter Cell games never really put Sam in a position where he needed to think on his feet and adapt to a deteriorating situation. This is where Blacklist is extremely strong as a game. Ultimately, you're just gonna repeat, "Blacklist baaaaaaaad" like a moron.

You're not even trying anymore, apply yourself.

>>Bro is coming over to play co-op in a bit
Speaking of co-op, this amazing easter egg in Double Agent was undiscovered for years, AFAIK. youtube.com/watch?v=gbSXFKefmKw

then of course you have the brilliant cryogenics lab mission, a further play on the idea of history and preservation and biology in game world, an absurdity, people freezing themselves in order to be alive in the future.

also imo one of the best levels in splinter cell, and one of my favourites.

it's weird how singular the splinter cell games are in how they brilliantly explore these ideas, even though they were split between two development teams 1 through 4.

>You're not even trying anymore, apply yourself.
Blacklist baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Holy shit.
Jesus christ dude, just stop, Blacklist is mechanically awful, the level design was awful, and all of it was dumbed down to all fuck. No one is going to take you seriously, especially when you claim shit like a horde mode is Splinter Cell at it's best.

actually they did in many ways, but rather they would trick the player or have something the player couldn't possibly account for. they played with scripting a lot. anyway, you have me sold on blacked.

>Blacklist baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Well yeah, that's what i've been saying this whole time, i'm glad you finally agree.

If I'd played it I wouldn't be asking.

So if I don't have an Xbox but am curious about the series are the PC versions good enough?

Are they getting rid of backwards compatibility on the new Xbox?

I think they're to balance out the two.i wouldn't blame them since no one really watch's inside xbox

yes, more than good enough. i mean these new xbox remasters look amazing, but you can play/enjoy the games on pc, even pandora tomorrow if you use the shadows fix, though it still has technical issues. how many of these are due to compatibility and how many are simply the game on release i don't know.

>So if I don't have an Xbox but am curious about the series are the PC versions good enough?
Chaos Theory is solid on PC (controls aside), 1-2 need a bunch of fixes and even then they're not perfect, but they are perfectly playable and enjoyable.

I'll always take the Xbox versions over PC, but i've played the PC versions for thousands of hours and still regularly make levels for Spies vs Mercs.

PC is good for 1 and 3. Though 1 requires you to either get the fixed GoG version, or go download the fixes and DLC missions yourself if you get it on Steam. 3 has no problems at all. 2 has lots of problems on PC that not all can be fixed, now this XB1X version is the definitive way. DA is not on PC, the 360 port is but it's a different game. So you need an XB1X for that too now.

Silent Assassin has two graphics modes. D3D and OpenGl. Both are incompatible with modern graphics cards. D3D is in perpetually intensifying slow-motion that eventually just freezes the game. OpenGL renders all skinned mesh renderers as pitch black so all character models are just black holes in space.
Contracts is fixed now but for years it was basically illegal to own the game because of a single licensed song whose limited-time license ran out. It took years for them to release a fixed version on PC. Years after said fixed version was released on that day's current gen consoles.
Codename 47 works just fine. The game just sucks because it always has.

>make levels for spies vs mercs

?

also is spies vs mercs still playable?

CT is better on PC imho if you play it with a controller (I used Motioninjoy). The graphics settings really allow you to crank up the fidelity of the game, blew me away when I first played it after only playing it religiously on Xbox.

Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory both came with a cut down version of the Unreal Editor specifically to make levels for Spies vs Mercs.
>also is spies vs mercs still playable?
Wouldn't be making maps for it if it wasn't.

Give this a quick skim if you're keen.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265715221

Damn. I agree that C47 sucks, but I played 2, Contracts and BM on my my 560 Ti back in 2011-2012. Is it a windows 10 issue? Or a GPU issue. I actually still run Windows 7 and have a 1080. Is it gonna fuck up if I replay it now? Is there no fixes for Silent Assassin yet?

>also is spies vs mercs still playable?
Why wouldn't it be? It's from before a time when greedy fucking devs locked MP servers behind their bullshit services and arbitrarily pulled support.

The shit that you think would be exciting to deal with, you know what that's called in actual stealth games? That's consequences of playing badly. You don't implement those situations in the game as mandatory obstacles. You design the levels so that they have challenges and failing them leads to the gameplay you're talking about. When those things exist as unavoidable parts of the level design, you are just making excuses for your own lack of ability and insisting that those who are better at the game than you be lowered to your level. "If can't do this part without a massive shootout, no one should be able to"

interestational.

>It would have been a megaton to drop during their E3 conference
lul no it wouldn't

also why aren't there more multiplayer stealth games? if any?

it may not have been a "megaton," but it would have won best in show.

omfg spies vs mercs looks fun.

What on earth are you talking about?

I disagree with the concept of multiplayer pvp "stealth" on principle. The second a round starts, the guard team already knows you're there. Stealth is broken, infiltration mission is failed. Better luck next time. I'm not going to continue an operation that is doomed from the start.

>"If can't do this part without a massive shootout, no one should be able to"
You're the one who got into massive shootouts because you weren't good enough at Blacklist to Ghost it. That's the entire point. Blacklist is a game where people who are bad at it whine about "forced combat" and stuff like that.

It's a niche within a niche, it's also reliant on TIGHT as fuck network code, which games simply don't have anymore.

Literally every inch of movement needs to be synced perfectly between players for it to not be a total trainwreck, and most MP games simply do not do that, even the most competitive FPS's on the planet these days don't do it, let alone with anywhere near the accuracy required for stealth gameplay, just look at the trainwreck that is Payday 2's stealth for instance where players and NPC's can often end up so badly out of sync that you get spotted by NPC's that are in completely different places on each client.

No, why whine about forced combat because the game literally has forced combat sections that can't be ghosted.

Fucking retard.

that makes no fucking sense. yes, they know you're there..but they don't know where..which is where the stealth part lies.

>No, why whine about forced combat because the game literally has forced combat sections that can't be ghosted.
Such as? (Bearing in mind even Chaos Theory has at least one situation where combat is unavoidable.)

Wrong. Blacklist has forced combat sections. It even has a boss fight. I have ghosted every part of Blacklist to the maximum extent as is possible. But it's not entirely possible. It's not about skill or lack of it. It's about levels having been explicitly designed for combat as in stealth is literally impossible because the goddamn story says that this here is going to be a firefight.

>has at least one situation where combat is unavoidable.

you can sneak through the boiler room btw..

it's just that it's ridiculous to do so and you need to know where all the sentries are beforehand and do things just right.

>*Must own existing physical copy, otherwise you have to pay for it.
If you own the digital copy it's still in your account, idiot. There are no digital copies of the first four games for the OG xblox.

>It even has a boss fight.
That's different from a "massive shootout". It's a one on one situation where two men scrabble in the snow.

yeah..like in splinter cell 1..

although you can avoid some firefights, like in the presidential palace when all you need to do is dangle from the ledge when the soldiers breach nikoladze's office.

>There are no digital copies of the first four games for the OG xblox.
You either own a physical copy -- therefore you get it free -- or you need to buy them digitally.

The shootout happens when your pointless plane HQ is landed on the tarmac

So either you own it already... or you don't.

>The shootout happens when your pointless plane HQ is landed on the tarmac
So you're basically mad about a tiny section of the game that is completely justified by narrative? If the section had been a cutscene you would have been totally fine with it?

But none of them remastered or otherwise enhanced. I wanted to play OG Splinter Cell in 16:9.

in fact i would argue that the forced combat sections are essential to the first two games. part of the idea of splinter cell is to force the player into unavoidable situations in the game, through which only the player through skill can narrowly escape. it's the secret agent idea. even chaos theory has it, although chaos theory's replayability comes through being able to ghost and avoid those situations through foreknowledge of that event, such as the server room in displace.

>But none of them remastered or otherwise enhanced.
They have a 9x resolution increase on X. 4x resolution increase on S.

I decided to reinstall and see if the graphics bug persists but apparently the game has gotten even worse. Now it will not even start. The process runs in the background but no game ever emerges.

>If the section had been a cutscene you would have been totally fine with it?
Yes. Every combat situation in the gameplay of a stealth game should always be the result of the player's incompetence. The frequency of this problem is the reason why Metal Gear Solid is not a stealth game at all.

In Pandora you were forbid to kill in many cases unlike CT

Play it on PC and install ReShade for a free Remaster. Mine looks gorgeous as fuck
There's some unique fake Ray Tracing for RTX users

Splinter Cell has always been pulled in two different directions. One direction is Thief. The other direction is MGS. Chaos Theory leans towards Thief due to Clint Hocking. The series always had massive infighting over the approach to design, and a lot of the original SC designers hated working on SC1 so much due to the MGS fanboy drama that they quit the industry.

Well fuck that is disappointing. Actually I just checked it on PC gaming wiki and it seems there are fixes available and it's an issue with Windows 10 and Steam. The GoG version is better apparently.

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Hitman_2:_Silent_Assassin

Hope this helps user.

Well, Chaos Theory and Double Agent supported 720p on the OG xbox.

except the game is telling a story. so there has to be some scripting. for instance in chaos theory there are key events that occur over the course of a mission that you can't account for without foreknowledge, as that's the game's story. so in the displace servers, if you're playing for the first time and the doors start opening as grim warns you, you won't know to get up on the rope as soon as you get the info, so if you dithered while they talk about the information being put in another castle you'll have to deal with the mercs entering the fully lit server room.

Are all Original Xbox games on the digital market 10$ each?
I collect games for it and all of my 360 games. Own 45 yet and 6 are compatible. I consider buying a One X too and get rid of the Xbox 360
Inconsider to buy the overpriced ones in digital instead

I was already reading that right now and apparently the Steam version seems to be unsalvageable

well actually in CT there are many cases where you're forbidden to kill, like the final mission, the national guard in manhattan, any civilians at the retreat and at the bathhouse, etc, etc..

>Are all Original Xbox games on the digital market 10$ each?
No. I think the SC games are 15, for example.

>Every combat situation in the gameplay of a stealth game should always be the result of the player's incompetence.
I don't really understand this appeal to purity thing. Metal Gear is fun because its stealth and action are both good. The issue with Splinter Cell's more action-y bits (save for Conviction and maybe Blacklist though I haven't played that one yet myself) is that they feel clumsy and inadequate. Nothing wrong with disliking Metal Gear either, but I don't know if it's a matter of "should." Tenchu has forced encounters too.

Well I guess get it on GoG then. Personally I actually own it on disk, so that might be why I don't have problems.

Honestly Steam is so fucking abysmally bad for old games. They are such a shit company, in some respects I am glad Epic is stealing their exclusives. I rarely care about new releases anyways, as I mainly play old games and Stream literally sells broken unfixable crap all the time. Always use GoG if you can. Fuck Steam.

Oh and apparently the steam version of Hitman 2 is also censored kek. Amazingly shit service and company. Fuck Gabe.

>4k Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory and OG Double Agent.

What the fuck is Microsoft doing?

How the fuck do they expect Ubisoft to ever be able to sell a shitty new Splinter Cell game ever again?

thank you. Still a good price.

>I don't really understand this appeal to purity thing.
It goes back to Thief. Thief is the definitive stealth game in many people's eyes. It is what a stealth game should aspire to be. In essence, a game's status as a stealth game becomes "how Thief-like is it?"

they're deliberately so. the emphasis is on stealth, that makes the action bits that much more tense because as fisher that's not what you're supposed to be doing, they're like a pop quiz out of nowhere forcing you to think fast and just make it out in time. it makes sense in the story of splinter cell and the game's levels to have things sam can't account for. when soldiers come out nowhere to kill you it's more tense because you're not prepared for it and it's fun quickly getting behind that cover and dealing with it. that last bit in the presidential palace by the lift is a bastard though.

>didn't bother with simple hacks for SC1 and PT to force it to run in 16:9
ok but
>all run at 30fps
lol fuck this shit

chaos theory balanced this best, as it is the one that's most stealth oriented, and it is a pure stealth game as you can ghost the level on replays, but it throws in some unexpected scripted bits where you might have to pop a few melons to get by.

>ending Xbone BC
>Jet set radio future never got added

We're never going home, are we bros?

Attached: download (8).jpg (228x221, 9K)

I got it working after I fucked around with the configs a bit. But as I suspected the black mesh glitch still persists. The shittiest thing is that when I got the game, it was part of a bundle that included C47, SA and BM. In other words a shitty game, a broken game and a masterpiece. Get one, pay for three.

That's a fair take, I think. Metal Gear's combat is similarly clumsy (until MGS4 anyway); it just specializes its encounters around it a little more maybe. It feels organic in SC (the vault is a good example), I just didn't find playing those bits very fun, and I avoid what I can now that I know ahead of time.

Blame Google Stadia. That fucking shit announcement caused every other publisher to jump on the streaming meme. They were obviously in the midst of doing several BC remasters for the XB1X when that was announced, and Microsoft hastily started up Scarlett and just said whatever BC games they were working on will be the last ones.

>tfw SSX Tricky definitive version is stuck on OG Xbox
>tfw it didn't get a remaster
>tfw Dead of Alive 2 and Beach Volleyball not remastered
>tfw Kingdoms Under Fire not remastered
>tfw Timesplitters not remastered

Fuck. We all least OG Xbox emulation is making progress recently. So not all hope is lost at least.

How does the Xbox One/X backwards compatibility even work and is it likely something that will get hacked one day and people will be able to add games that were never officially added?

I always thought it was shit that Steam never had Contracts too. At least GoG has the whole collection now, and uncensored too.

>Microsoft cares more about Splinter Cell than Ubisoft.

What time line even is this.

I dunno for sure, but considering the snails pace they were releasing them at, they probably had to do a lot of emulator specific hacks and stuff to get that specific game working on the XB1X with enhancements. Probably legal shit too.

Jewgle ruins everything. Good thing stadia will flop because people are more invested in current brands. Maybe one day we'll get JSRF on another platform.

Maybe one day.

Attached: 207.jpg (1600x1064, 319K)

i thought the vault was brilliant, because even though it trips you up, it's still something you can account for. it seems scripted at first, but it isn't, it's such a brilliant and subtle addition to have that one laser activate at the vault entrance on your way out, as if you could be so complacent and careless. it's stuff like that, that really elevates chaos theory's design, a balance between scripted and also something that you could potentially account for and avoid. i love the panic when everyone goes "oh shit" and "how was i supposed to know." it's one thing that's left entirely up to the player, where up to that point you had grim and lambert guiding you nicely, and then they just leave you hanging..

I played Contracts on steam a few weeks ago. It works just fine. Probably an entirely different renderer or something. The problem with Contracts was that when IOI fixed the music legality issue for the console HD re-release, they took their sweet fucking time doing the same for PC. For a few years it was literally more legal to pirate the game because at least nobody was illegally selling a copyrighted song on the side.

reminder that Xbox360 was backwards compatible with original Xbox and Microsoft also stopped putting games to BC a couple of years after 360's launch. Then xbox 360 got an RGH/Freeboot hack and it potentially could run any xbox game but many still glithced/didn't work

not just that, but the fact that the entrance to the vault is designed in such a way that it's very difficult to get past the two guards that come running to investigate as there are only two corridors between the gold and one guard goes to each. so it makes a mission that previously gives you plenty of room to maneuver and plan and think methodically in suddenly tight and closes it all up.

Probably bullshit tech wizardry similar to MT framework. The fact they can emulate an entire 360 on a fucking xbone when there's still not an emulator competent to run 360 on a fucking pc is ridiculous. Shit, even OG Xbox is still fucking awful at emulating on pc and they have that down as well. Just chalk it up to Microsoft knowing their shit, I guess. You can't be top dog without pulling off some madlad shit.

I'd wager the snails pace was most likely due to legal and licensing issues than tech, it's a shame the Xbox One X probably didn't sell enough to ever see a decent hacking community spring up around it because I guarantee there's a LOT of untapped potential there.

>Turning on the PC settings they turned off but left on the disc is a "remaster"
If you say so

That's not how it works at all you drooling fucktard.

It's possible. But it's strange that SSX3 got a remaster but Tricky didn't. I don't know what legal issues would be there, unless it's something retarded like music licensing again.

And I have to agree, from a tech perspective, Microsoft have always had the most interesting consoles, I have a modded OG Xbox with aftermarket parts and a modded 360 as well. Amazing consoles. OG Xbox modded in particular really just feels like a PC. I've got modded HDD with every OG Xbox game ever released on it and a bunch of emulators and shit too.

>yfw the OG Xbox actually supports native 720p for a bunch of games, and a few can even do 1080p

i had these extra missions in russia on my disk back in 2004, the fuck you talking about

Steam being an absolute fucking piece of shit again and releasing incomplete/broken releases of older games.

Steam version cuts out 3 levels of SC1. Meanwhile the GoG version has them bundles and disk versions had a free download for them.

Must have been a GOTY edition or something. The 2002 version doesn't have them.

pandora tomorrow is trash. outstanding amount of reused assets, shit levels and stupid story. game starts with le ebin evil che geuvara who wants to kill everyone with smallpox. no politics, no power struggle, no schemes, just like that. le ebin terrorist. there's few cool gimmick here and there, but overall this game is shit. thank you ubishit shanghai. double agent is even more stupid.

man you just don't get the game. did you even read my fucking post? the story is also essential to the splinter cell series. also, going by your stupid logic, how is nikoladze any more of a fleshed out villain? or the japanese admiral for that matter. they're antagonists to the player because the player is playing the game, and through the story they think they're playing the game world rather than the player, reflecting the player's agency, one through algorithms, a paradox within in a world that is programmed, illusory power, one through information warfare and the manipulation of tech and in pandora tomorrow, biological warfare, also illusory power as biology cannot exist in a game world. pandora tomorrow also plays with the idea of time and history in a game world, hence sadono is a temporary leader who is sustained by the postponement in game of a virus that cannot possibly go off in the game's programming, bound by illusions of free agency manifest as biology and time continuation. the game world and contradictory ideas within the game world are made explicit as a story of the secret agent, ie the player in the guise of the character.

unironically, have sex

it's even in the npc dialogue

"should i go down and get another battery?"
"hahah..what you say amigo? you want another battery? hahaha"

the game mocking the idea of electricity and battery power in a virtual reality.

same in the cia headquarters in the first game
"this is as tight as security gets unless congress admits we can't run this place on pocket change."
"you think we can maintain?"
yeah.."
"you're sure?"
"yeah i'm sure..i'm just overworked."
etc
the games are always making fun of the idea of the guards getting tired or being uncertain in their fixed preprogrammed routines.

pandora tomorrow is splinter cell through and through and explores and expands upon the ideas of the other two games beautifully.

Reminder that many of the voice actors in early Splinter Cell voiced mercenaries in the original Far Cry. Which is partially why Far Cry is full to the brim with bizarre satire.

these games all make fun of and use in their storyelling pseudo-tech that cannot possibly be used to gain authority over the player's agency, in the game, but the playing of which makes the game's story. the idea of the implants ripped out of blaustein's head with muscle fibres attached etc.

I'm GONNA PAINT HIS LITTLE RED WAGON!