Why are retro gaming characters so much more iconic than modern gaming characters?

Why are retro gaming characters so much more iconic than modern gaming characters?

Attached: banjo.900x.jpg (900x451, 64K)

buhhh let me make another banjo thread t. smelly smash subhuman

The internet over saturates things.
Anything pre Internet(i mean "good" internet) has a more authentic and personal feel to it. Because you don't have hundreds of people complaining, or sucking dick.

Because these "retro" characters represent a time where they actually tried to make a good game. Now and days they rush them to make a quick easy buck forgetting small details that make things memorable like Banjo-Kazooie. For Instance you can remember Mario 64 but most of Mario odyssey is forgettable.

Modern gaming characters will never ever be as iconic as retro characters.

I think it has something to do with limited technology for graphics

Because back then everyone was obsessed with creating mascots with the very intention of being "iconic".

Then how do you explain characters like Snake, Chris, Jill, Ocelot, Alucard, and so on who aren't obvious mascot type characters?

Iconic designs come from graphical limitations at the time. This sometimes happens with modern indie games like Shovel Knight that are instantly recognizable. Otherwise it's Gun Knife Shoot Man.

Because modern gaming characters are just realistic humans.

soul

Not true, it was the mindset of developers that has changed. Devs these days are in it to make movies disguised as games rather than actual games.

Give me a list of iconic modern day characters. By modern, I mean 7th generation onwards.

idk, inkling is pretty iconic

Nostalgia you fuckin brainlets

This

Well I think Knight Solaire is pretty iconic and Kratos is but its a very small list compared to the older characters.

The only new mascot that can compare to the Old ones from N64/pre N64 era is unironically pic related, prove me wrong. They can hang in with the boys

Attached: 214124142.jpg (1920x1080, 270K)

Nope faggot seeth harder banjobros won zoomer bitch.

toobie

Who?

Kratos is 6th gen

Jak has a better design

2B
Lightning
Bayonetta
I know you gatekept it to 7th Gen but fuck you I'm going with Master Chief because close enough and also again fuck you.

Anubis and the Buried bone
Toriel

Attached: god of soy.png (615x481, 83K)

Cuphead

Attached: cuphead.webm (300x534, 937K)

そうですね

>Why are retro gaming characters so much more iconic than modern gaming characters?
You mean those modern characters that started as retro characters, or the 3 already in smash?
Nintendo doesn't make new characters anymore, what else are they supposed to add?

I'm enjoying the seething of zoomer bandwagoners.
>yeah I love older games
>what quest?
>dragon who?
>oh, you mean that PS4 game?
>nah, boomers don't play shit like that

Newer characters just appear in more shit more of the time.

Joker has had
>a Dancing game
>a dungeon crawler spinoff
>a rerelease announced
>a Musou announced
And is only 3 years old. These were in the last few years alone.

Meanwhile we last saw Banjo in a rerelease of a bunch of Rare games. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Older characters tended to paved the way for gaming while a good portion of new game characters tend to try and copy or piggy back off what older ones did. It’s why Yooka Laylee’s opening song was so cringeworthy while DK64s became beloved. DK64’s was an original idea, fun and goofy and most importantly fresh. It set the tone of the game and came off as charming. Yooka Laylee was not only trying to ride off the back of Banjos shoulders but tried to shamelessly push a DK rap knock off to score brownie points. And most people realize that’s the only reason it’s there, not because someone thought of it on the fly and had fun doing it.

2B
Inklings
Ezio
Steve
John Marston
Rosalina
Big Daddy
Commander Shepard
Bayonetta
Isabelle
Nathan Drake
Geralt
Asuka
Angry Birds
GLaDOS
Freddy Fazbear
Richard
Cuphead
Hat Kid
Shovel Knight
Jibanyan
Nero
Sackboy
Beck

>piss one right wing twitter with lgbt comments
>say it was a joke
>end up pissing off the left wing side of twitter for making a joke out of homosexuality
>now has both sides of twitter shitting on him
How do you fuck up this badly

Sounds like he was making a clever ironic joke to me that clearly worked since you idiots bought it.

what a dumb fucking question youre asking OP

>just pretending to be retarded, bro!

Retro gaming characters come from a time where post-2007/2008 social media and the internet didn't completely taint them, their potential success or their fan bases.

That's why you don't see very many beloved post-2008 franchises that last over a 5-year period anymore without quickly falling out of popularity or diverging into cringe territory.

Example being - MineCraft, Undertale and FNAF would've been guaranteed, respected Nintendo-tier classics if they were released any time before 2006, well before social media could taint them with cringe and contrarian bullshit.

Chosen Undead/Solaire
Isaac Clarke
Inkling
Sans & Papyrus
Minecraft Creepers
GLaDOS
Ezio
Freddy Fazbear
2B
The Good Hunter
Nathan Drake
Some League of Legends champions
maybe a couple of Overwatch heroes

To name a few.

Because he thought that fashy goys would hate when in reality they would be shocked if a Sony icon WASN'T LGBT.

nice oldfag boomer nostalgia, but that's not it. The real reason is devs, especially designers, actually gave a shit back then. They put a lot of thought into even the smallest details. Designers in general has gotten lazy, just look at the shitty flat UI trend in web and mobile. Also look up the pokemon first gen vs current gen design someone posted recently. Yea Forums tends to exaggerate, but the soul vs soulless meme is actually very real

Nostalgia

Zoomers think the 90's were like the middles ages, full of legends and shit. It's not that they are more iconic, it's that zoomers don't have opinions of their own so Boomers tell them what to think, and of course they're going to prefer 90's crap.

Team Fortress 2
Football Manager
General Winter
Shogun

Hey wait a second, those are just sonic all-stars racers!

Attached: unmasked.jpg (191x180, 21K)

ok boomer

>

Attached: mascots.png (1550x462, 239K)

Western developers especially got soul aids.

Attached: 1560302261320.jpg (1267x715, 198K)

Shovel Knight
Nathan Drake
Frisk
Sans
Minecraft Steve

>posting the souless shit remake versions
no. not in a fucking millions years.